Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,980 members, 7,925,046 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:27 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (825498 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 11:00am On May 01, 2013
UK based Nigerian students, abeg make una no allow this thread die O! cry cry
I learn so much from it
Had to go fish it out from page three of this sub-forum's topics sad sad
Abi oga justwise fit pin am permanently for page ni? wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by obi123: 2:47pm On May 01, 2013
Sean lenux: Pls guys I will be coming to The University of Manchester in Sept for my MSc in Petroleum Geoscience. How do you see the school, living and studying in Manchester, getting a part-time job on campus, which hostel is the best to stay for Nigerians? Pls advice accordingly. Anybody in Manchester already for discussion. Thanks in anticipation

first of all congratulations on getting admission into such a top university . In terms of on campus jobs every uni has a career service, they would post on their website vacancies(link 4) but you can also be on the look out for off campus jobs too within the area by checking local newspapers or job websites or word of mouth you know ask around (you must have it in your head that although people say there are no jobs , you are unique).
Apparently my colleague at work was born in Manchester and she says that its cheaper and smaller than London, very multicultural so very mixed which is good , enough Nigerians .
In terms of hostel accommodation, your finance would dictate that , you might want to stay in the uni hostel(link 3) for a couple of months while you organize yourself then move to a shared house(link 4)which will involve you staying with other people in a flat , the more people in the house the cheaper it will be .
Before you arrive , get in touch with the international students office, they will advice you. you need information right now so gather as much as you can before you land oh

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentlife/

http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/Accommodation

http://media.stars.manchester.ac.uk/files/accommodation/M216%20AccommGuide2014_v7.pdf

http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AgentONE(m): 2:26pm On May 03, 2013
I am an aspiring student wanting to study in the UK this september at Queenmary UoL but i have a few academic related questions,namely;
* Is Foundation Programme(F.P) also included in the 5yrs study count given by ukba for one to study in the UK?
* Can I after my F.P(having acquired the neccessary pass mark for progression) enter for a 4yr Beng in Aerospace(extra additional 1yr for industrial Experience) and finally afta my Beng enrol for Meng or should i better still do F.P+3yrs Beng and then move abroad for 1yr Industrial experience just to beat the 5yrs study count and after the Industrial experience;then return to the UK for the remaining 1yr on the study count to purse my Meng.
What would u recommend that i do in this case?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 2:43pm On May 03, 2013
Agent O.N.E:
I am an aspiring student wanting to study in the UK this september at Queenmary UoL but i have a few academic related questions,namely;
* Is Foundation Programme(F.P) also included in the 5yrs study count given by ukba for one to study in the UK?
* Can I after my F.P(having acquired the neccessary pass mark for progression) enter for a 4yr Beng in Aerospace(extra additional 1yr for industrial Experience) and finally afta my Beng enrol for Meng or should i better still do F.P+3yrs Beng and then move abroad for 1yr Industrial experience just to beat the 5yrs study count and after the Industrial experience;then return to the UK for the remaining 1yr on the study count to purse my Meng.
What would u recommend that i do in this case?

Whats your academic level now?
Most people prefer to skip the foundation year.
You just have to decide if you wanna do your undergraduate there or just your masters. The 1 year industrial experience is not even a must
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AgentONE(m): 3:08pm On May 03, 2013
@spike,i graduated from secondary school 2010 and after the hustle for for admission in 9ja was unproductive i opted for the option of studying abroad.I decided to go for F.P because i wanted to brush up academically before the degree proper and also Queenmary only offered me the F.P,stating that my international qualification won't get me an offer into degree direct unless i pass through F.P.
Also what more can you tell me about the maximum of 5yrs study for international students?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:18pm On May 03, 2013
Agent O.N.E:
@spike,i graduated from secondary school 2010 and after the hustle for for admission in 9ja was unproductive i opted for the option of studying abroad.I decided to go for F.P because i wanted to brush up academically before the degree proper and also Queenmary only offered me the F.P,stating that my international qualification won't get me an offer into degree direct unless i pass through F.P.
Also what more can you tell me about the maximum of 5yrs study for international students?

Oh yes, fresh high school graduates must pass through F.P
That's why most people attend 1st year here and then travel.

Read this, i don't really understand what you need it for. But to remain in the UK after undergraduate studies, you have to get into masters and/or get a job (No be any kind job Ooo).
Remember, all these things needs you to renew your visa.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/internationalstudents/immigration/tierfour/timelimit.html
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AgentONE(m): 4:08pm On May 03, 2013
spikes C:

Oh yes, fresh high school graduates must pass through F.P
That's why most people attend 1st year here and then travel.

Read this, i don't really understand what you need it for. But to remain in the UK after undergraduate studies, you have to get into masters and/or get a job (No be any kind job Ooo).
Remember, all these things needs you to renew your visa.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/internationalstudents/immigration/tierfour/timelimit.html
well,i have read the info provided on the link and am really greatful but am still not clear on the need for industrial experience,i mean what benefit is it to me.From the link given,it states that F.P,A levels are regarded as below degrees;now my question now is will the ukba subtract the 1yr spent on F.P when counting towards the number of years i have left on studying in the Uk.Seeing that I will be travelling from 9ja with a 1yr student visa,when i wan reply nko,will they give me 5yrs direct(3yrs Beng,1yr industrial experience and 1yr Meng)
abeg no vex for the too much questions wey i dey ask,me na novice 4 d travel abroad mata
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 4:31pm On May 03, 2013
Agent O.N.E:

well,i have read the info provided on the link and am really greatful but am still not clear on the need for industrial experience,i mean what benefit is it to me.From the link given,it states that F.P,A levels are regarded as below degrees;now my question now is will the ukba subtract the 1yr spent on F.P when counting towards the number of years i have left on studying in the Uk.Seeing that I will be travelling from 9ja with a 1yr student visa,when i wan reply nko,will they give me 5yrs direct(3yrs Beng,1yr industrial experience and 1yr Meng)
abeg no vex for the too much questions wey i dey ask,me na novice 4 d travel abroad mata

Like i said before, I.T is not a must in the UK. If you search for course on UCAS or even any where, they'll give you 2 options. 3yrs or 4yrs(with I.T placement).

I would suggest you ask the school to give you a dual admission (F.P and B.Eng). If it's not possible, you can still do something about it. You just have to renew your visa for the undergraduate course.

No, they won't give you 5 years visa. Your undergraduate visa won't even be up to 3 years. I think it's 1 year. But you won't need to renew it during your stay (As far as you're still going to school). This helps them to track students who stopped attending school.

I.T placement is part of the undergraduate course, so stop regarding it as a separate year.

After your undergraduate studies, you need to renew your visa for the M.Eng.

If you have time, read through the ukba website. I have not even applied for a visa yet. These are all from the information i got online
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by AgentONE(m): 4:35pm On May 03, 2013
thanks bro,am currently doing a research on it at ukba website.thanks once more for the tips given
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kellyemms: 11:59am On May 04, 2013
hello my fellow nairalanders, i gat offer @ university of derby for msc. plz after my msc program can i stay to live and work in uk
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 12:08pm On May 04, 2013
kellyemms: hello my fellow nairalanders, i gat offer @ university of derby for msc. plz after my msc program can i stay to live and work in uk
Yes, you can; if you wish to continue with your PhD or you get a job after MSc.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:14pm On May 04, 2013
presiade:
Yes, you can; if you wish to continue with your PhD or you get a job after MSc.

Graduate job, not unskilled job that pays peanut.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 1:13pm On May 04, 2013
justwise:

Graduate job, not unskilled job that pays peanut.
yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kellyemms: 4:50pm On May 04, 2013
presiade:
yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Tanks so much for the info. And also plz how do I pay for my tution deposit to the university of derby barclays account from here in nigeria
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by presiade(m): 5:16pm On May 04, 2013
kellyemms: Tanks so much for the info. And also plz how do I pay for my tution deposit to the university of derby barclays account from here in nigeria
Welcome. You can go through CBN or other strong banks such as GTBank, FBN or Zenith. Just go to any of their branches.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:21pm On May 04, 2013
kellyemms: Tanks so much for the info. And also plz how do I pay for my tution deposit to the university of derby barclays account from here in nigeria

Don't they have online payment?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kellyemms: 6:12pm On May 04, 2013
spikes C:

Don't they have online payment?
no I was told by the school to pay thru their barclays bank account
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 3:01am On May 07, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4/1

@ spikes c, presiade, kellyemms, Agent ONE please take school related discussions and admission related question to the thread above
This present thread is attuned more for everyday living and daily grind of life in the UK.
Hope you all agree
Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 3:15am On May 07, 2013
ochukoccna: https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4/1

@ spikes c, presiade, kellyemms, Agent ONE please take school related discussions and admission related question to the thread above
This present thread is attuned more for everyday living and daily grind of life in the UK.
Hope you all agree
Thank you
cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 8:25pm On May 07, 2013
Hi everybody,gd evening.
I have a an offer for an Msc in Birmingham...I hv checked out d skl accomodation and also private ones.seems to me like havn to choose btwn the devil and the deep blue sea. I'll give my 'eye tooth' to have an ensuite room of course bt these cost approximately 5k pounds!! Private mostly ranges arnd 320 to 400 per mth..minus bills oo.

So my question is: is it really worth staying in private considering u'll be the 1 to pay water,gas,internet,electricity bills and council tax? Also consider transport expenses and d fact that one wud probably have less security and/or insurance..
What do u tink?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 8:40pm On May 07, 2013
Find an all inclusive apartment near the school
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 8:45pm On May 07, 2013
miz Gene: Hi everybody,gd evening.
I have a an offer for an Msc in Birmingham...I hv checked out d skl accomodation and also private ones.seems to me like havn to choose btwn the devil and the deep blue sea. I'll give my 'eye tooth' to have an ensuite room of course bt these cost approximately 5k pounds!! Private mostly ranges arnd 320 to 400 per mth..minus bills oo.

So my question is: is it really worth staying in private considering u'll be the 1 to pay water,gas,internet,electricity bills and council tax? Also consider transport expenses and d fact that one wud probably have less security and/or insurance..
What do u tink?

that'll be a decision you'll have to make unfortunately

you'll be sharing the bills remember and some are inclusive
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:00pm On May 07, 2013
miz Gene: Hi everybody,gd evening.

What do u tink?

You don't pay council tax as a student, university accommodations are more expensive compared to private ones. Whatever the university charges you for accommodation includes all those utility bills you listed above.

You can get all inclusive rent in private accommodation and many are walkable distance to the uni.

That said....its your decision, you will know better when you get there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 10:57pm On May 07, 2013
Tnx @ Spice m,Dis guy n Justwise ...I guess I'll look out for all inclusive deals walkable distance from the skl..

@Justwise,very good job u r doing on the visa thread,keep it up.I know I will be confidently applying for my visa soon,tnx to that thread.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:59pm On May 07, 2013
miz Gene: Tnx @ Spice m,Dis guy n Justwise ...I guess I'll look out for all inclusive deals..

this kind baptism self embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 11:23pm On May 07, 2013
spikes C:

this kind baptism self embarassed

Loool,sorry guy,...'Spike C' no vex bro.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:34pm On May 07, 2013
Spikes MC ...there much better grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:21am On May 08, 2013
Dis Guy: Spikes MC ...there much better grin

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:23am On May 08, 2013
miz Gene:

Loool,sorry guy,...'Spike C' no vex bro.

lol, the last 's' is also very important. You can just call me Spikes
gracias wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by awistle(m): 3:50pm On May 08, 2013
Hi everybody,
I have got two offers frm university of salford manchester and birmingham city university for my m.sc program this september, but i dont know which one to choose, as i need suggestions on which school is preferable of the two in terms of accomodation,city life and academic welfare.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 4:21pm On May 08, 2013
awistle: Hi everybody,
I have got two offers frm university of salford manchester and birmingham city university for my m.sc program this september, but i dont know which one to choose, as i need suggestions on which school is preferable of the two in terms of accomodation,city life and academic welfare.
Both big cities, wide ethnic mix in both, plenty of social life in both.
Accomodation costs will be similar in both.
Try to find out what contacts the Uni has with industry.
Many unis have tie in with companies which can be a way into jobs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.