Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,305 members, 7,974,355 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 09:48 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (831716 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (214) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 8:42pm On Aug 03, 2013
spikes C:

^ Plus accomodation...where do you get your stats from undecided
I tend to flow with Adaobi's post in this regard
400 quid a month on housing,bills and food shocked
Mehn, spill on how you run things over in the UK cos it sounds incredulous shocked
Also could those post answer the second segment of my initial post (reproduced below) so as to aid those who may have similar questions
Thanks

Also Lakehay21 and those living in the northeast, how is clothes shopping like over there?
Is the prices decent enough (definitely would cost more than in Nigeria) that you won't spend to much electing to buy once over there?
Are there clothing shops over there which offer students discounts?
What other sectors offer similar rebates?
Any site or link you chaps will be kind enough to let us in on?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2013
fiscalcliff:
Mehn, spill on how you run things over in the UK cos it sounds incredulous shocked
Also could those post answer the second segment of my initial post (reproduced below) so as to aid those who may have similar questions
Thanks

If you live near the school campus, you definitely won't need transportation, except of course sparingly

You can get accomodation 65 to 70 a week (lets use 70)
You can live very comfortably on 30 a week for feeding

Now do the math wink

Buy your cloths from Nigeria, we have more quality all-whether cloths than them.
Unless you wanna change wardrobes every season.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 11:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
Staying near the campus is definitely a plus though some universities run free bus services which also would be of help
I get the housing part but enlighten moi (and by extension others) how the UK system works
I recall a thread on the UK where peoples lamented on many things, one of which was heating costs which spiked because the cold winter https://www.nairaland.com/1246083/god-forsaken-country-called-britain
So do you pay a steady electricity rate all year through

My budget is about £450-500 a month (small trips inclusive although spending could go north of this figure depending on the attraction cheesy)
Even though I'm coming to Britain to study,its a chance to do, see and be to/in places one has read about over the years
And also,say I get money for hand no mean say make oyinbo maga me to help spend am grin
Thanks for the clothing from Naija tip as I await the insights of others
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 9:51am On Aug 04, 2013
fiscalcliff: Staying near the campus is definitely a plus though some universities run free bus services which also would be of help
I get the housing part but enlighten moi (and by extension others) how the UK system works
I recall a thread on the UK where peoples lamented on many things, one of which was heating costs which spiked because the cold winter https://www.nairaland.com/1246083/god-forsaken-country-called-britain
So do you pay a steady electricity rate all year through

My budget is about £450-500 a month (small trips inclusive although spending could go north of this figure depending on the attraction cheesy)
Even though I'm coming to Britain to study,its a chance to do, see and be to/in places one has read about over the years
And also,say I get money for hand no mean say make oyinbo maga me to help spend am grin
Thanks for the clothing from Naija tip as I await the insights of others

Forget about heating costs, the apartments am talking about are all inclusive. Heating, gas, internet etc.
They're all easy to find. Just throw away the TV when you find one grin

450-500 is very very Good. But might not be enough if you're too outgoing. Clubbing is very expensive in the UK.
I never said don't club, but try to learn the system and how to manage your money first before you start clubbing.
Lets say 3 to 5 months after your entry.

Also, within the first few months, try to get monthly call plans that are much more beneficial to international calls.
Those first few months are the time you'll make so much international calls to home cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 04, 2013
Buy yourself a £5 phone card grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 7:01pm On Aug 04, 2013
Minus accommodation rent, £400 is clearly enough for you to live in a house shared with 4-5 people. Even if you have to pay bills.

Well here in Sunderland, I have seen houses where you pay £200 a month excluding bills. They are quite nice I believe one can still survive(may be not very comfortably though) on a budget of £400 (rent inclusive) in them. Giving that you will be sharing electricity, water, gas, internet bills with about 5 other people. So you may end up paying around £80 on bills per month. Leaving you with £120, which you can spend at the rate of £30 a week.
fiscalcliff:
Does this 400 include accommodation
If yes,will it be that decent seeing from my online searches about 70-80 quid and above will fetch one decent housing
It could be cheaper when one is on ground to see it from another perspective though
But what of utility bills like Internet, electricity, water etc undecided
Especially electricity bills during the winter months
Can someone help break this down better for those who wouldn't opt for university provided housing?
Thanks

Also Lakehay21 and those living in the northeast, how is clothes shopping like over there?
Is the prices decent enough (definitely would cost more than in Nigeria) that you won't spend to much electing to buy once over there?
Are there clothing shops over there which offer students discounts?
What other sectors offer similar rebates?
Any site or link you chaps will be kind enough to let us in on?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2013
On clothing issues though, things are generally fairly priced here. And the prices depend on which stores you enter. Primark's and Matalan's wares are usually very cheap. Stores like River Island normally runs student discount around September/October. Vodafone seems to be most student friendly network provider in terms of deals but they don't offer cheap int'l calls like Lebara, Delight and Lycamobile do.
fiscalcliff:
Thanks

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2013
There are no all-weather clothes you can buy (from Nigeria)that can withstand the harsh conditions of winter in the uk especially during winter.
spikes C:

If you live near the school campus, you definitely won't need transportation, except of course sparingly

You can get accomodation 65 to 70 a week (lets use 70)
You can live very comfortably on 30 a week for feeding

Now do the math wink

Buy your cloths from Nigeria, we have more quality all-whether cloths than them.
Unless you wanna change wardrobes every season.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 8:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
weekly or monthly?
adaobi123: Buy yourself a £5 phone card grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
Lakehay21: weekly or monthly?

Lool. You just use the card until it runs out....

Theres no monthly weekly thing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
Lakehay21: There are no all-weather clothes you can buy (from Nigeria)that can withstand the harsh conditions of winter in the uk especially during winter.

One can get very good winter jackets (used) from bend down select/Okirika stores in Naija. That's where I got the one I wrapped myself in when I came over. Though I had to buy new ones when I settled down but it will keep you warm.
I use Delight mobile to call Naija at 5p/min and 4p/min on weekends.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
Thanks guys for all your insights
While I have not walked in your shoes as you have over there, I can construct pictures through your eyes which will aid me to form my own opinions and help integrate and better still help me hit the ground running once in Britain
On behalf of others benefiting from this your valuable insights,thank you
Keep it coming

@ spike,I'm not really a club person but do plan on checking out the scene whilst in Britain
I could comfortably up my spending to £1000 monthly yet emptying my accounts is not my reason of leaving Naija
However after graduation, man must have ca$h to spend and move around
Even limiting one's spending to 400 quid -104k naira- monthly makes you a well to do person by Nigerian standards
1.25 million naira per year on housing, meals and bills no be yam
If the need to spend £1000 arises fine,but my goal is to save as much as possible whenever possible
If I can go as low as £200-300 shocked , I no mind O!
You said I should throw out the TV undecided
Is the TV license that high
Though I plan on getting an HDMI compatible TV for use primarily as my computer monitor and also plan on streaming content from my computer and tablet unto it
If time allows,I might throw in satellite TV (heck who still watches terrestrial TV this days)
Will I need a licence for all this undecided

@ Lake hay,you insights are highly appreciated seeing I glean a lot regarding the NorthEast from you
As long as the boundaries of personal privacy are not breached,I can stay with other peeps seeing studio flat and other decent accommodation types are really northward price wise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
I know but was just asking to know you're suggesting he spend £5 card monthly(practically hard to do) or weekly. lol
adaobi123:

Lool. You just use the card until it runs out....

Theres no monthly weekly thing
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 8:02pm On Aug 05, 2013
You can have a TV and not need a TV license if you don't watch live TV broadcasts. If you watch catch-up services or use your TV for video games/pc monitor, you won#t need a license then.

fiscalcliff: Thanks guys for all your insights
While I have not walked in your shoes as you have over there, I can construct pictures through your eyes which will aid me to form my own opinions and help integrate and better still help me hit the ground running once in Britain
On behalf of others benefiting from this your valuable insights,thank you
Keep it coming

@ spike,I'm not really a club person but do plan on checking out the scene whilst in Britain
I could comfortably up my spending to £1000 monthly yet emptying my accounts is not my reason of leaving Naija
However after graduation, man must have ca$h to spend and move around
Even limiting one's spending to 400 quid -104k naira- monthly makes you a well to do person by Nigerian standards
1.25 million naira per year on housing, meals and bills no be yam
If the need to spend £1000 arises fine,but my goal is to save as much as possible whenever possible
If I can go as low as £200-300 shocked , I no mind O!
You said I should throw out the TV undecided
Is the TV license that high
Though I plan on getting an HDMI compatible TV for use primarily as my computer monitor and also plan on streaming content from my computer and tablet unto it
If time allows,I might throw in satellite TV (heck who still watches terrestrial TV this days)
Will I need a licence for all this undecided

@ Lake hay,you insights are highly appreciated seeing I glean a lot regarding the NorthEast from you
As long as the boundaries of personal privacy are not breached,I can stay with other peeps seeing studio flat and other decent accommodation types are really northward price wise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2013
Lakehay21: I know but was just asking to know you're suggesting he spend £5 card monthly(practically hard to do) or weekly. lol

It depends how much he talks on the phone.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 7:00am On Aug 06, 2013
@ lakehay, spikes etal ,how do you handle money issues?
Your sponsor wires you from Naija or you use your Naija bank issued ATM e.g. GTBank MasterCard?
I'm thinking of using mine over there or better still opening a domiciliary account here and getting a dollar or pound denominated debit card (because of the 1000 naira withdrawal charge per transaction).
Are cards like Fidelity Bank issued Visa Cards also accepted?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 10:47pm On Aug 06, 2013
As long as the card is issued by VISA or Mastercard, it is accepted at ATMs and POS terminals here. I am aware that most banks in naija are now issuing VISA card, which is cool. But each bank has its own policies. GTBank charges #1000 per withdrawal, even more at times. So please talk to your bank about it. PLus there ar withdrawal limits put in place by these banks, so find out.

Having a domiciliary accounts in Pounds or dollars is also cool, but remember that you can only pay in Pounds and dollars into them depending on which currencies you are running. So I will advise that you stick to the VISA card transactions except your Family and friends will be changing their nairas into pounds first so as to pay them into your domiciliary account.

fiscalcliff: @ lakehay, spikes etal ,how do you handle money issues?
Your sponsor wires you from Naija or you use your Naija bank issued ATM e.g. GTBank MasterCard?
I'm thinking of using mine over there or better still opening a domiciliary account here and getting a dollar or pound denominated debit card (because of the 1000 naira withdrawal charge per transaction).
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 07, 2013
I shop with my GTbank naira master card here, And when I need cash I do a cash back. Though I also opened a Barclays acct.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:07am On Aug 07, 2013
fiscalcliff: @ lakehay, spikes etal ,how do you handle money issues?

From my experience, u better dont rely on any of those Naija issued cards, including the domiciliary account cards. Firstly, the normal naira mastercard has yearly withdrawal limit and the dorm acc has lots of exorbitant monthly charges, wen used or not. Unless, u will not rely on the naira mastercard as d main source of finance here, mayb withdrawing in bulk and depositing it in ur UK acc.
U may nt worry so much, as it may also depend on ur duration of stay here.....
#Over&Out
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:10am On Aug 07, 2013
honey86: I shop with my GTbank naira master card here, And when I need cash I do a cash back. Though I also opened a Barclays acct.
That was my strategy when I arrived but it got to a point when it stopped working for cashbacks. I had to restructure my mode of operation....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
peteafrik88:
That was my strategy when I arrived but it got to a point when it stopped working for cashbacks. I had to restructure my mode of operation....
Whao, as for me, I took enough money that would cover my expenses for like a month. I opened an account and have them transfer the rest of my money. Subsequent funds were logged into my GTbank account.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by auntytee: 9:02am On Aug 08, 2013
I intend to commence my masters programme in january. Please can any give any accurate details on University of westminster?... From what I have bn reading on this thread, I understand that living in london as a student is a bit or rather more expensive than the other cities. But this seem to be one of the few schools willing to offer a place for my course in january.

*I'll like to know the average cost of renting an apartment in central london, close to the school precisely.
*is there a high population of black race? (Its my first time)
*wht will it cost on living expenses?.. (I'm not so much of a "spendaholic".

Any piece of information will be highly appreciated.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:42am On Aug 08, 2013
honey86:
Whao, as for me, I took enough money that would cover my expenses for like a month. I opened an account and have them transfer the rest of my money. Subsequent funds were logged into my GTbank account.
Sure. GTBank even sent me an email stating dat I yave exhausted my yearly withdrawal limit and I should switch to a Domicillary acc. But I dont like D9micillary acc cos of so much charges associated wit it and i will nt even b coming back to d country any tym soon. I knw dis happened cos i used it to pay my tuition fees and all other fees...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:45am On Aug 08, 2013
auntytee: I intend to commence my masters programme in january. Please can any give any accurate details on University of westminster?... From what I have bn reading on this thread, I understand that living in london as a student is a bit or rather more expensive than the other cities. But this seem to be one of the few schools willing to offer a place for my course in january.

*I'll like to know the average cost of renting an apartment in central london, close to the school precisely.
*is there a high population of black race? (Its my first time)
*wht will it cost on living expenses?.. (I'm not so much of a "spendaholic".

Any piece of information will be highly appreciated.

population of black race doing your course? in the uni or the city?

the cost of renting apartment in central london is higher than average, there are good transport links to central london so you can always looking further- also depends on your campus location

other information are readily available on the school website and other university website to be honest- all average cost ofcourse

information for all uk student are applicable to those studying in london too
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by auntytee: 12:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
Dis Guy:

population of black race doing your course? in the uni or the city?

the cost of renting apartment in central london is higher than average, there are good transport links to central london so you can always looking further- also depends on your campus location

other information are readily available on the school website and other university website to be honest- all average cost ofcourse

information for all uk student are applicable to those studying in london too
thank you so much dis guy. Sorry I dint specify. I meant in the city and vicinity. When you say higher that average, what is average please. And are there also students aprtment in central london as well?....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2013
London being the capital is the most ethnically diverse city in the UK-[also one of the most in the world]
compared to any other city it has a higher population of black people

its recommended that you have £800 as minimum but many people get by on £500 or even less

central london is a commercial/prime area, the further you go the cheaper the rent- they'll be student accommodation in cnetral but they are rare and expensive
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 3:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
@ aunty tee,hope you like cold weather cos winter is what January brings wink
Also do know that while you can get by on £500-800 as Dis Guy said,a minimum £1000 per month is what the UKBA demands foreign students have as a their monthly upkeep fee for London and environs
So keep that in mind when applying cool
London is very ethnically diverse as Dis Guy stated
With a large Nigerian/African community
No need to get all worked up because even though its Europe, you'll integrate faster than other cities which have almost only Caucasian people

peteafrik88:
Sure. GTBank even sent me an email stating dat I yave exhausted my yearly withdrawal limit and I should switch to a Domicillary acc. But I dont like D9micillary acc cos of so much charges associated wit it and i will nt even b coming back to d country any tym soon. I knw dis happened cos i used it to pay my tuition fees and all other fees...

I'm quite pleased I asked this question
Without it never would have learnt about cash backs
But Pete,the cashback scheme looks cool
I presume it stopped working for you because of the mail GTBank sent you on your yearly withdrawal limit
Never knew one existed,if I may ask, how much is GT's yearly withdrawal limit undecided
Also would you care to share how you restructured your operations cool cool

honey86:

@honey,I'm thinking to do something similar
Take some money along(about £1500-2000: hope its not too much) open an acct to run my stuff over there and also use my GT MasterCard
Now with all this am thinking of opening a 1st bank account
Why 1st bank?
Because they and GT are about Naija's biggest and easily accessible banks
Also 1st has links to Barclay's only since that since I'm just about opening an account with them, doing large transactions within the first 6months might raise some flags
Alternately, I might use my Access old acct which links to Visa

That apart can you ,Pete, lakehay and others over there share more valuable insights
Also what British bank would you recommend in the North East; Barclay's ,HSBC ,Standard Chartered, RBS, Lloyd's etc
Heck,I even learnt that Tesco has a bank
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by auntytee: 11:00pm On Aug 08, 2013
Thnks for d info guys... I appreciate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 11:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
I think any of Lloyd's, Halifax, HSBC or Barclays is ok. In terms of ease of bank transfer through internet banking, lloyds and Halifax seem better than the rest.
fiscalcliff: @ aunty tee,hope you like cold weather cos winter is what January brings wink
Also do know that while you can get by on £500-800 as Dis Guy said,a minimum £1000 per month is what the UKBA demands foreign students have as a their monthly upkeep fee for London and environs
So keep that in mind when applying cool
London is very ethnically diverse as Dis Guy stated
With a large Nigerian/African community
No need to get all worked up because even though its Europe, you'll integrate faster than other cities which have almost only Caucasian people

I'm quite pleased I asked this question
I presume it stopped working for you because of the mail GTBank sent you on your yearly withdrawal limit
Never knew one existed,if I may ask, how much is GT's yearly withdrawal limit undecided

@honey,I'm thinking to do something similar
Take some money along(about £1500-2000: hope its not too much) open an acct to run my stuff over there and also use my GT MasterCard
Now with all this am thinking of opening a 1st bank account
Why 1st bank?
Because they and GT are about Naija's biggest and easily accessible banks
Also 1st has links to Barclay's only since that since I'm just about opening an account with them, doing large transactions within the first 6months might raise some flags
Alternately, I might use my Access old acct which links to Visa

That apart can you ,Pete, lakehay and others over there share more valuable insights
Also what British bank would you recommend in the North East; Barclay's ,HSBC ,Standard Chartered, RBS, Lloyd's etc
Heck,I even learnt that Tesco has a bank
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 2:43am On Aug 10, 2013
fiscalcliff: I'm quite pleased I asked this question
From the email, it says 40,000 dollar. I used my Mastercard to sort out my tuition and all other stuffs, thats why I reached my limit really quick. Cashbacks are really cool as they can help you dodge the charges frm 9ja banks.
My mode of operation was not different from any other person frm this group as we learned how to manage finances togeda.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 5:42am On Aug 10, 2013
^^^^^
Eyah Pete,I understand better now
Don't think I should have that withdrawal limit issue though
And to think that this schools who don't allow you pay your tuition and other fees in Naija using this cards do so once in their territory
Yet regardless of all the bad press we get,Americans and Chinese are bigger scammers that us tongue
As a former boss used to exclaim,that's life

Thanks Pete and Lakehay for your all insights (including other great contributors)
They've been a goldmine

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (214) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.