Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,818 members, 7,872,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:57 PM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42448 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 8:12pm On Feb 27, 2012
wordtalk:

I am fully aware that Christ received His priesthood directly from God without any intermediaries - Hebrews 5:10.

I am also fully aware that the Aaronic priesthood was attended upon by a mediator - Moses, who 'consecrated' Aaron and his sons into the priestly office (see Exodus 28:42 and 29:9).

I am also aware that while Moses was the mediator who himself 'consecrated' Aaron and his sons into the Aaronic/Levitical priesthood, yet Christ was also 'CONSECRATED FOR EVERMORE' as priest (Heb. 7:28).

The question, Zikkyy, is this: WHO 'consecrated' Christ?? Find me the 'intermediary' or 'mediator' that stood to 'consecrate' the Son of God - and i will be happy to have learnt something fresh. grin

I have not said Christ did not receive his priesthood directly from God, all have said was that the mode of receipt cannot be the basis for claiming the priesthood is forever. The Hebrews text tells us it was because Christ lives forever. Where is Melchi now?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 8:22pm On Feb 27, 2012
wordtalk:

As for Melchizedek receiving his priesthood directly from God, please tell me: on what basis would you assume that there was a 'mediator' who stood to 'consecrate' him? It is not because we don't find a verse for it

Knowing you were not ‘on ground’ when Melchi was consecrated, and the bible did not tell us how he was consecrated, “anything anyone might conclude on that would most probably be conjecture or hypothesis of one sort or another” grin You do me i do you angry

wordtalk:

but when you study the texts carefully, you will find indeed that the title: 'priest of the Most high God' was intended by both authors of Genesis and Hebrews to point the reader to that fact. cheesy

I have done a careful study and still could not arrive at such a conclusion. I did my best sad

wordtalk:

I never said he abides a priest forever when he was not in office - an interpretation I never made.

i am not saying you did.

wordtalk:

I never said he abides a priest forever when he was not in office - an interpretation I never made. I rather said that he 'abides a priest continually on account of having received the priesthood directly from God.'

And my response was that you can only abide a priest continually if you continue in office. A dead priest cannot be said to abide priest continually. So, where is Melchi now grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
Hey Zikkyy,

I'm busy just now but will come back to expound on some of the points you could yet not get.

However, I'd like to leave you with a fe points to consider in view of your latest reply.

Zikkyy:

I have done a careful study and still could not arrive at such a conclusion. I did my best

Okay, so what conclusion did you arrive at? grin

What does 'priest of the Most High God' as a title mean to you? Please try a little harder - it's not difficult. grin

And my response was that you can only abide a priest continually if you continue in office. A dead priest cannot be said to abide priest continually. So, where is Melchi now grin

Okay, no worries. A 'dead priest' cannot abide a priest continually, yes? Good. Now just tell me: to whom does verse 3 refer to in saying "abideth a priest continually" - to Melchizedek or to Christ? grin

If Melchizedek is referred to, what made it so that he 'abides priest continually'? Please don't rush again to the 'no documentation' mantra - that is trash talk and would only result in a 'polluted priesthood' (Neh. 7:64ff).

If it refers to Christ, you will just merely be jumping a huge exegetical hole in that verse 3 - clearly the verse was referring to Melchizedek.  grin

The others, I'll come back and outline them for you.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Nobody: 2:14am On Feb 28, 2012
Welcome back pilgrim 1,welcome back viaro,welcome back wordtalk from ur usual hibernation.As least this time u didn't bother changing ur I'd again.now more of ur double speak on this issue of tithing
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 6:12am On Feb 28, 2012
wordtalk:

What does 'priest of the Most High God' as a title mean to you? Please try a little harder - it's not difficult. grin

I've tried sad what i saw was just the regular title like Pope, General Overseer, Bishop e.t.c

wordtalk:

Okay, no worries. A 'dead priest' cannot abide a priest continually, yes? Good. Now just tell me: to whom does verse 3 refer to in saying "abideth a priest continually" - to Melchizedek or to Christ? grin

We all agree that verse 3 refers to Melchi. If Melchi lives forever and is a priest forever, it therefore means there are two seperate priesthood currently operational; Christ's and Melchi's. So are you for Christ? or you are for Melchi? take a stand now! angry BTW when was the last time you went for a church service with Melchi as the officiating\presiding priest grin

wordtalk:

In brief, there are two kinds of priesthood:

(a) Aaronic (and other types of priesthoods) - 'priesthood of intercession'
(b) Melchizedekan/Christ - 'priesthood of ULTIMATE SALVATION and REDEMPTION'

wordtalk, i am not happy with the bit highlighted. I see it as an attempt to rank Christ & Melchi as equals. Please don't go that route.

We can talk when you produce Melchi, i have some questions for him grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:07pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy,

There are two main issues you raised in your rejoinders which I'll try and focus on. They helped me to understand why you have a problem with my earlier comments concerning the person and priesthood of Melchizedek, so I'd rather skip replying to every line of your other comments.

I'll start by taking up a few points and dealing in detail. You had said:

Zikkyy:

I still don’t see how title tells me anything other than he was a priest.

Aww, this makes me wonder whether you even considered the special meanings of designations and titles of various persona in Scripture. grin

The Levi priests were also priest of the Most High God.

Were the Levitical priests ever called or designated by the title 'priest of the Most High God'? I don't quarrel with the fact that the levitical priests were priests of 'the LORD'; but were they specifically designated as 'priests of the Most High God'?

Since it seems a designation doesn't say much more to you than merely being 'a priest', then it is just as well that Jethro (Moses' father-in-law) was 'priest of the LORD' even though we don't find any verse in the entire Bible saying so. No? And what would you say to anti-tithing theologians who argue that Melchizedek was a 'pagan priest' just because he was not mentioned in connection with 'the LORD' (i.e., Jehovah)?? smiley

I think this is where you seem to be having a serious problem - the question of specific designations. But I'll get back to this in just a moment, to show you how important this is in exegeting a passage or text. smiley
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

I am not sure the issue of pollution applies here. We are looking at two different periods here.

Indeed it very well applies even though we are considering two different periods. The fundamental issue here is the question of all priesthoods received from God, and not those which point to 'pagan' priesthoods.

Hence, if any reference to priesthood is made in the redemptive history of Israel, we cannot escape the question of Jewish genealogies. For this reason, if a particular priesthood is referenced as having any bearing at all in salvific matters, the Jew would seek to know the pedigree of the priest in question - or he is left with no choice than to reject such as a priest with no divine portfolio or protocol. Why? Because all Israel held a common belief: 'salvation is of the Jews' (John 4:22).

This is what the writer in Hebrews sought to reconcile: how a non-Jew could have such a powerful protocol in Jewish redemptive history without risking the idea of a 'polluted priesthood' based on arguments of 'no documentation'. In fact, the argument of 'no documentation' would quite easily have destroyed, rather than enhanced, his premise. grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2012
Bear with me while I take this one up in detail:

Zikkyy:

Neh. 7:61-64 applies to a period where you have to be from the tribe of Levi to be priest. The Jews don’t joke with it.

Within the Law, that may apply; but BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the era of the Mosaic Law, it does not apply - because even during the era of the Law, another type and order of priesthood was prophetically being recognized, even though it pointed to the future.

Nehemiah 7:61-64 is therefore foundational for all priesthoods that have anything to do with salvation and redemptive histories of the Jewish people. Redemptive history does not begin with the emergence of Israel as a people - it dates right back to Genesis. Therefore, any question of priesthoods which enter into discourses of redemption among the Jews would see Neh. 7:61-64 as foundational for such discussions, regardless when that verse was penned.

Let me expatiate. It so happens that LONG BEFORE the prophet Nehemiah penned those words in Neh. 7:64, it is a commonly held tenet that genealogy plays a vital role in determining who should take up an office in public life (1 Chron. 9:1 - 'all Israel were reckoned by genealogies'). Even Moses had earlier laid the foundation that no foreigner or stranger (non-Jew) was to rule over Israel or assume a priestly office (see Deut. 17:15; Num. 3:10, 38; 16:40). Therefore, if one's genealogy or pedigree could not be ascertained, such a person would not enter into discourses on redemption and ultimate salvation.

But remarkably, OUTSIDE the recorded genealogies of the Israelites, even the Jews recognized the legitimacy of other Godly priests and priesthoods. Two examples:

(a) the priest of Midian (Exodus 18) who rejoiced and praised 'the LORD' for all the goodness He had done for Israel (v. 9-11), and also offered sacrifices to the same God of Israel (v. 12). If Moses and the Jews rejected this priest as of God, why then did they fellowship with him in the sacrifices which he offered to God? Which 'God' was he offering sacrifices to, such that Moses and all Israel came to fellowship with this priest in that sacrifice - and yet 'the LORD' did not accuse His people of idolatry or 'paganism'?

(b) Melchizedek (Genesis 14) who ascribed praise to 'the Most High God' for giving victory to Abraham. If this priest was a 'pagan' (as half-baked anti-tithing theologians have erroneously concluded), how is it that Abraham responded to the priestly pronouncements of blessings; as well as that the same Melchizedek features as holding the order of priesthood which Christ was to take up (Psalm 101:4)?

It is striking that David made the prophetic utterance of Psalm 101:4 at a time when the Law was already enacted and operational in Jewish life! How come the Jews never protested against this, despite the fact that they knew what the Law of Moses said about 'non-Jews' or 'foreigners' featuring in discussions about Jewish priesthoods? grin

The whole point here is this: you do not have to be from any of the tribes of Israel in order to be recognized as 'a legitimately appointed priest by God' in matters of ultimate salvation and redemptive history.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

Priests were not restricted to a certain tribe prior to that era. Melchi was refered to as a priest in the records, nobody was going to dispute that hundreds or even thousand s of years after.

Pardon me, but I'm not trying to dispute the 'records' of priests. If 'Melchi was referred to as priest in the records', was Jethro (Moses' father-in-law) not also referred to as 'priest in the records' (Exodus 18)? Was the priest of Midian not a legitimate priest also which you find in the 'records'?  It is not merely that 'Melchi was referred to as a priest in the records' - for so are other priests who were 'referred to as priests in the records' - including the priests of Dagon, the priest of On, and Mattan the priest of Baal. All these and more were refeered to as 'priests in the record', dear sir! grin

Even so, by now you begin to understand why it's tenuous to playdown the importance of these things. If itt were merely for the sake of 'no documentation' or 'in the records' that the writer of Hebrews sought to make his points, he would long have woefully failed! The first question a thinking head would ask is this: 'which record'?

However, the question is even more about the legitimacy of a non-Jewish priest who features prominently in Jewish redemption and ultimate salvation.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:12pm On Feb 28, 2012
Now, on to your most recent rejoinder. smiley

Zikkyy:

I have not said Christ did not receive his priesthood directly from God, all have said was that the mode of receipt cannot be the basis for claiming the priesthood is forever. The Hebrews text tells us it was because Christ lives forever. Where is Melchi now?

I did not infer or state anywhere that 'the mode of receipt' was what gave the priesthood its character of being 'forever'. More than anything, I think I stated a couple posts earlier that:

'So, Melchizedek's priesthood was not transcient  - not simply because there are 'no documentations' - rather, as we both agree, the durability of his priesthood is derived from the basis on which it rests: the power of an endless life (Heb. 7:16)' (post # 497)
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:13pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

I've tried sad what i saw was just the regular title like Pope, General Overseer, Bishop e.t.c

No, Zikkyy. That designation is not 'just the regular title like Pope' etc.

Designations of this nature hold a very special place of office, functions, sphere and durability in Biblical exegesis. When similar appellations are used for various persons, the designation changes the character of the qualifications (office, functions, sphere of influence, authority and durability).

Please let me make an example. The appellation 'son of God' is used both as a general term for men and angels (e.g., Dan. 3:25), as well as for Jesus Christ (Mark 1:1). Adam, for instance, is called 'the son of God' (Luke 3:38); while angels are referred to as 'sons of God' (Gen. 6:2).

However, in the entire Bible, the special designations 'only begotten son of God' (John 3:18) and  'the only begotten of the Father' (John 1:14) apply to only one Person: Jesus Christ. The Jews were familiar with the general title of 'son of God' in the OT Scriptures; yet, when they heard Jesus use that title as a special designation for Himself, they knew it was not just a 'regular title' He was claiming (John 10:33-36).

So it is with the present subject. Even though we recognize some are called 'priests of the LORD' (most often in the plural - 1 Sam. 1:3; 22:17; 2 Chron. 13:9; 26:17 and Isaiah 61:6); yet no other priest is given this designation 'priest of the Most High God' used specifically for Melchizedek by both writers of Genesis and Hebrews. The point in all this is that the authors did not wish the reader to take it for granted as a special designation of the one so named - just as the NT writers would not want us to take for granted the title 'only-begotten Son of God' as applicable to just one Person and only that one Person!

If it were merely a 'regular title', then Melchizedek would not have been any more special a priest than the rest of the identified OT priests. There are numerous other 'priests of the LORD' in the OT that he could easily have referenced for the sake of a regular title - but he obviously intended far more than that, and thus points out that Melchizedek was designated 'priest of the Most High God'. The import here, as I've noted earlier, is that the reader who was familiar with such a construct would see just one thing: Melchizedek bore his priesthood as received directly from God without intermediaries.

Why is the above even important? Because the same writer knew that the converted Jew who read his epistle was ALREADY aware that MOSES was a PRIEST, even though the same Moses never once called himself as such in the Law. grin So, if it were merely a matter of a regular title, what stopped the Jew from arguing that Moses was also a priest just as Aaron and other priests? What stopped the Jew from arguing that Jethro was also a 'priest of the LORD', as evidently appears in Exodus 18?

When he says, therefore, that Melchizedek was 'priest of the Most High God', he was reminding the reader of a special designation used for this priest, even though the said priest was not a Jew - and thus showing that a GENTILE priesthood was key to their ultimate salvation.

This is where I now answer a related question you raised in post #511. smiley
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
wordtalk:
Melchizedek in Genesis 14 was not 'interceding' for Abraham, but rather pronounced blessings of salvation and victory (see Gen. 14:19-20a, and compare with Heb. 7:6).

So, you asked:

Zikkyy:
I don't understand. Can you please expatiate?

Okay. smiley

The priestly ministry stood for many things pertaining to the service of God (Heb. 5:1). Most often, some see various aspects of service to stand prominenty above others in this ministry - some may view 'intercession', or 'teaching', or 'offerings and sacrifices', or 'counsel' as the most prominent feature of a particular priestly ministry.

However, the Melchizedekan priesthood goes far beyond all these services. It is a ministry of worship and pronounced blessings - 'worship' to God for His saving power upon His people; and the pronoucements of blessings of salvation and victory for God's people. These are the two most prominent features of the Melchizedekan priesthood.

Which was why I said that Melchizedek in Genesis 14 was not 'interceding' for Abraham, but rather pronounced blessings of salvation and victory (see Gen. 14:19-20a, and compare with Heb. 7:6). In Genesis 14, Melchizedek was more occupied with events after the conquest, for which he blessed both Abraham and God -

(a) verse 19 - 'And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth;

(b) verse 20 - 'And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand.'

Here, it is not so much a matter of intercession or of teaching, counselling, etc. (although those are included, as per Heb. 5:1). Rather, it is one of pronouncing blessings in the character of worship to God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:15pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

We all agree that verse 3 refers to Melchi. If Melchi lives forever and is a priest forever, it therefore means there are two seperate priesthood currently operational; Christ's and Melchi's.

No, not necessarily. There are not two separate 'priesthoods' - just one. It is called the priesthood AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. Even Christ is the High Priest of our profession, He is still bearing that priesthood after the order of Melchizedek. It does not mean two separate or different 'priesthoods'. grin

So are you for Christ? or you are for Melchi? take a stand now!

I've long taken a stand: I'm for Christ who is MADE a priest AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. grin

The problem with many Christians (not you, Zikkyy), is that just because they have come to see Christ as priest, they immediately and everytime want to do away with the 'order' of His priesthood. This is why I have often maintained that the moment you erase Melchizedek from the picture, you have absolutely no basis for a Christian priesthood. None. grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2012
Zikkyy:

BTW when was the last time you went for a church service with Melchi as the officiating\presiding priest

We are all 'priests' (1 Pet. 2:5 & 9; Rev. 1:6; 20:6) - there is no 'commercial' or 'official' or 'officiating' or 'negotiating' or 'presiding' priest. Your problem here is looking about for who is 'officiating' or 'negotiating'. Goodness! When will you get done with that kind of religiosity?.grin

wordtalk, i am not happy with the bit highlighted. I see it as an attempt to rank Christ & Melchi as equals. Please don't go that route.

No, I was not ranking them as equals; but that doesn't mean I should be shy in declaring the facts there. wink

I was not talking about "persons" - rather I used "priesthood" in saying that 'the Melchizedekan/Christ's priesthood is a 'priesthood of ULTIMATE SALVATION and REDEMPTION'. This is what psalm 101 is all about, as well as the picture given us in Revelation 20:6. I was more concerned about the nature of the PRIESTHOOD of melchizedek, not about his 'person'.

Although the persona are distinct in their very persons, yet the PRIESTHOOD is absolutely ONE - no difference or 'different types' in that one priesthood. It was not a 'like-for-like', but a single priesthood that derives its durability from the power of an endless life.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 10:27pm On Feb 28, 2012
wordtalk:

I don't quarrel with the fact that the levitical priests were priests of 'the LORD'; but were they specifically designated as 'priests of the Most High God'?

Since it seems a designation doesn't say much more to you than merely being 'a priest', then it is just as well that Jethro (Moses' father-in-law) was 'priest of the LORD' even though we don't find any verse in the entire Bible saying so. No?

jethro was either a priest of God or a priest of satan. You either for God or for satan. There is no middle ground. Can we say jethro was priest of satan?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 11:39pm On Feb 28, 2012
wordtalk:

(a) the priest of Midian (Exodus 18) who rejoiced and  praised 'the LORD' for all the goodness He had done for Israel (v. 9-11), and also offered sacrifices to the same God of Israel (v. 12). If Moses and the Jews rejected this priest as of God, why then did they fellowship with him in the sacrifices which he offered to God? Which 'God' was he offering sacrifices to, such that Moses and all Israel came to fellowship with this priest in that sacrifice - and yet 'the LORD' did not accuse His people of idolatry or 'paganism'?

you forgot this happened before the law. How could the israelite reject him when the law restricting priesthood to the levites was not yet in place. For e.g post law the people were no longer allowed to worship as they pleases, they were then required to worship at the place the Lord chose. See Deuteronomy 12.

In Neh verse, the law was very much in operation. Priesthood belonged to the tribe of Levi. Pollution becomes relevant cos you cannot be priest if you are not from tribe of levi. Also note that the law restricting priesthood to Levi did not annul the priesthood prior to the law, so the jews have no reason rejecting priesthood like Melchi's which was already history.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 12:10am On Feb 29, 2012
wordtalk:

as well as that the same Melchizedek features as holding the order of priesthood which Christ was to take up (Psalm 101:4)?

It is striking that David made the prophetic utterance of Psalm 101:4 at a time when the Law was already enacted and operational in Jewish life! How come the Jews never protested against this, despite the fact that they knew what the Law of Moses said about 'non-Jews' or 'foreigners' featuring in discussions about Jewish priesthoods? grin

we are all aware Jesus did not feature in the jewish temple as a priest. We are also aware that the Levitical priesthood needed to be scrapped for Jesus priesthood to take effect.

Let me add that Jesus did not take up any priesthood from Melchi.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 12:26am On Feb 29, 2012
wordtalk:

the durability of his priesthood is derived from the basis on which it rests: the power of an endless life (Heb. 7:16)' (post # 497)

to prove that the durability of Melchi's priesthood rests on the power of endless live, all you need to do is produce Melchi. So we know he has endless life.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Image123(m): 1:54am On Feb 29, 2012
Sorry i didn't bother to read through the 18pages, not even the last page or first page. Not even interested in tithe-talk. Just to mix in on zikky and wordtalk's current burdens which i didn't bother to read through.
Jesus Christ is Melchizedek.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 5:53am On Feb 29, 2012
Zikkyy:

. We are also aware that the Levitical priesthood needed to be scrapped for Jesus priesthood to take effect.

There's is no Jesus order of priesthood. He functions in the order of Melchizedek

Let me add that Jesus did not take up any priesthood from Melchi.

Will you nullify the word of God. Before the law there was Melchizedek order. When the law came ,there was levitical order for a period. Many high priest functioned under the order of levitical priest hood. Now that it has ended we are back to Melchizedek order In which Jesus function. that means the Order never ended. It has always been . The levitical was only an intrusion. This is the real order.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 7:10am On Feb 29, 2012
wordtalk:

Which was why I said that Melchizedek in Genesis 14 was not 'interceding' for Abraham, but rather pronounced blessings of salvation and victory (see Gen. 14:19-20a, and compare with Heb. 7:6).

what i really want to understand is what you meant by blessings of salvation? Am sorry, if mv initial was not so clear.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 7:34am On Feb 29, 2012
wordtalk:

There are not two separate 'priesthoods' - just one. It is called the priesthood AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. Even Christ is the High Priest of our profession, He is still bearing that priesthood after the order of Melchizedek. It does not mean two separate or different 'priesthoods'. grin

I've long taken a stand: I'm for Christ who is MADE a priest AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. grin

there's no way i will agree a priesthood can be called 'AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK'. The way i understand it, Christ priesthood is of the type 'similar' to that of Melchi. Thats what the bible meant by 'after the order'.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 7:54am On Feb 29, 2012
wordtalk:

Although the persona are distinct in their very persons, yet the PRIESTHOOD is absolutely ONE - no difference or 'different types' in that one priesthood. It was not a 'like-for-like', but a single priesthood that derives its durability from the power of an endless life.

Melchi belong to a priesthood that derived its durability from the power of an endless life? Fine, all you need to do now is to tell us where we can find Melchi. Melchi has endless life abi?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Enigma(m): 9:57am On Feb 29, 2012
Zikkyy:

there's no way i will agree a priesthood can be called 'AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK'. The way i understand it, Christ priesthood is of the type 'similar' to that of Melchi. Thats what the bible meant by 'after the order'.

Let me "assist"; below is taken from one of the Bible translations that the "pastor" contributing here turns to when he is snookered (as usual). smiley

GWT Hebrews 7:17

The Scriptures say the following about him: "You are a priest forever, in the way Melchizedek was a priest."

cool
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:13pm On Feb 29, 2012
^^
Not bad. Here is another translation to 'assist' -

Hebrews 7:17 Good News Translation (GNT)

17 For the scripture says, You will be a priest forever, in the priestly order of Melchizedek

or, by another translation to 'assist' -

Hebrews 7:17 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

17for He doth testify -- `Thou [art] a priest -- to the age, according to the order of Melchisedek;'

. . . or, even this one:

Hebrews 7:17 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

17 For he witnesseth, That thou art a priest without end, by the order of Melchisedec; [Soothly he witnesseth, For thou art a priest into without end, after the order of Melchisedec;]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 2:26pm On Feb 29, 2012
Image123:

Jesus Christ is Melchizedek.

grin If Jesus Christ is Melchi, it's likely i will agree with most of the stuff wordtalk been saying here cos that's the only way it makes sense to me. But you need to show us how you arrived at this conclusion, or you want us to accept yours statement by faith grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:30pm On Feb 29, 2012
@Zikkyy,

I'm really enjoying our discussions on the current subject on priesthoods - perhaps this would have been more appropriate in another thread on its own so that we don't muddy things up for 'tithe debaters'. grin

Anyhow, thanks so much for the heart-warming discussions so far. smiley

This one -

Zikkyy:

grin If Jesus Christ is Melchi, it's likely i will agree with most of the stuff wordtalk been saying here cos that's the only way it makes sense to me. But you need to show us how you arrived at this conclusion, or you want us to accept yours statement by faith grin

Hehe. . . on that note, you'd be sending me off the picth with a red card! grin
No, I'm not convinced that Jesus Christ is actually Melchizedek - not even if we try to transfer a theophany of sorts between the covenants. Sorry, but just my thoughts.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:30pm On Feb 29, 2012
Zikkyy:

jethro was either a priest of God or a priest of satan. You either for God or for satan. There is no middle ground. Can we say jethro was priest of satan?

You're taking a dribble now. sad  There's no 'we' on this matter; rather, I'm certain that Exodus 18 shows us that Jethrow was a priest of God - the same God that Israel worshipped.

The question was whether or not you find any verse where Jethro was designated in the very same manner that Melchizedek was - 'priest of the Most High God'. Don't try and dribble on that, or I'll rush you a slide tackle! grin

Zikkyy:

you forgot this happened before the law. How could the israelite reject him when the law restricting priesthood to the levites was not yet in place.

I didn't forget that happened before the Law; and Israel could not just accept any priest/priesthood just because the Law had not yet been enacted. The question was whether or not Jethro was a priest of the same God that Israel worshipped. If he was not, would Israel have fellowshipped with him in the sacrifice of Exodus 18 just because the Law of Moses had not yet been promulgated?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:32pm On Feb 29, 2012
Zikkyy:

For e.g post law the people were no longer allowed to worship as they pleases, they were then required to worship at the place the Lord chose. See Deuteronomy 12.

In quoting Deuteronomy 12, I presume you meant during the era of the Mosaic Law, and not actually 'post law'?

In any event, even after Moses declared the commandment that the Jews were to seek the place of God's name as the national worship center, Israel also worshipped at various places. For instance, Joshua built an altar unto the LORD God of Israel in mount Ebal (Josh. 8:31), even though the place of God's name was to be at Jerusalem (2 Chron. 6:6).

Further, we are not told that the Israelite couple (Manoah and his wife) offered burnt offerings at that national worship center when they encountered the angel of the LORD in Judges 13. Yet again, David at one time built an altar at Araunah's threshing floor and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings to the LORD (2 Sam. 24:25).

The point here is that Deuteronomy 12 may have stipulated a special center of national worship for Israel; yet, we find Israel worshipping at various places on various occasions during the era of the Mosaic Law - i.e., while the Law was still in operation.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:34pm On Feb 29, 2012
Okay, on this one I would have to be a bit more detailed so you can grasp my view better.

Zikkyy:

In Neh verse, the law was very much in operation. Priesthood belonged to the tribe of Levi.

True, priesthood according to the Law belonged to the tribe of Levi; but -

Pollution becomes relevant cos you cannot be priest if you are not from tribe of levi.

No, not quite right. Let me first clarify on the bolded part.

The stipulations of the Law were twofold: (a) genealogy; and (b) sanctification - see Exodus 19:22. Therefore, in Nehemiah 7 and Ezra 2, the question of pollution arose if a Jew was unable to show his genealogy in the reccords, and not merely because he could not be traced particularly to the tribe of Levi. Being a Levite did not guarantee a place in the priesthood.

Let me expound on them:

(a) Genealogy: the question here being about genealogy derived from mixed marriages with other tribes. Although Ezra 2:61 shows that these were 'the children of the priests', yet because of mixed marriages with the 'daughters of Barzillai the Gileadite', they could not find their register among those reckoned by genealogy  - on account of this, they were 'as polluted, put from the priesthood'.

(b) Sanctification: even though they were put from the priesthood, the 'pollution' here takes into consideration the question of whether or not they (as 'children of the priests') could eat of the most holy things -see verse 63. If one from the line of the priests was not sanctified, he could not eat of the holy things of the LORD.

The above just shows you that even though a Jew came from the line of the priests, or could be traced to the tribe of Levi, that does not guarantee him a place in the priesthood.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:36pm On Feb 29, 2012
Now, a word about this second bolded part -

Zikkyy:

Pollution becomes relevant cos you cannot be priest if you are not from tribe of levi.

No again, not quite correct. If that were the case, the Jews would have protested against David's prophetic declaration of a priest 'after the order of Melchizedek' in Psalm 110. The Jew knew that David made that divine proclamation while the Law was still in operation - and the Law had already declared that the Jewish priesthood through Aaron was a 'perpetual one', leaving no room at all for a non-Jew (see Exo. 29:9 - 'Aaron and his sons . . . the priest's office shall be theirs for a perpetual statute'; and also Num. 25:13 - 'the covenant of an everlasting priesthood').

David's declaration in Psalm 110 simply points out the direct opposite of what you argued. In effect, what David was saying is this: although the Law of Moses stipulated that priesthood in the Jewish ministry was perpetual and only to be from the lineage of Aaron and the tribe of Levi; yet, the LORD Himself has sworn - and will NOT change His mind about that oath - the Messiah is 'a priest for ever after the order of' a non-Jew, Melchizedek. Not only so, but this priest is not even from the tribe of Levi! grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 2:38pm On Feb 29, 2012
Zikkyy:
Also note that the law restricting priesthood to Levi did not annul the priesthood prior to the law, so the jews have no reason rejecting priesthood like Melchi's which was already history.

Depends on what you mean by 'not annul'  in that quote. But if your argument holds any substance, then the Jews would indeed have accepted also the priesthood of Jethro in much the same way as David prophesied about the priest 'after the order of Melchizedek'. And every other priesthood in 'history' (such as the Egyptian priesthood of On) would have also featured in Jewish prophecy after the Mosaic Law was given.

You see, the basis on which you argue is not quite helpful. You seem to be saying that the only grounds for which the Jews could not reject the priesthood of Melchizedek was because it came prior to the Law and was a matter merely of 'history'. But what I've just pointed out is that 'within the Law' another order of priesthood was recognized in a prophetic nature that would have direct bearing upon Jewish divine relationships! That is Psalm 110.

Why not rather a priesthood after the order of 'Jethro' or of 'Potipherah'?? The priesthood 'after the order of Melchizedek' is much more than merely a matter of history prior to the Law - it leaves all other priesthoods behind (such as Jethro's and Potipherah's) and enters directly into the divine records of Jewish prophecy - which makes a very, very strong case as to why the Jew MUST accept it even after the Law of Moses had been given.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

Man Invites Reno Omokri To Join Islam. He Reacts / Happie Boys To OPM Pastor: You Can't Use Our Stars To Rıde Prıvate Jet... / Is That Really Jesus? By Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.