Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,731 members, 7,875,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:50 PM

Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? - Religion (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (42472 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "First-Fruits": Pastors Are Planning A Major Robbery In January / COZA Introduces Online Payment Of Tithes, Offerings, Seeds & Pledges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:14am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

(B)  IM ASKING NOW, WILL THE BIBLE CONTRADICT ITSELF ? IN HEBREW 7:15 AND HEB 7:17?

No, the Bible would not contradict itself on this matter (even though we find some of the people in the Bible actually contradicting themselves)!

What has happened here is that YOU are the one who had contradicted what the Bible is teaching. First, you made the error that the 'AFTER' and 'ORDER' were treated as one term using only H1700 - and I have shown that, on the contrary, there were two Hebrew and Greek words used in both passages of Psalm 110 and Hebrews 7.

Then you had argued merely on 'similitude' - which again is NOT the same thing as an 'ORDER' of a priest/priesthood. It is a priest/priesthood 'after the ORDER of Melchizedek' that Christ takes up or is consecrated - this is far more than a 'resemblance' because it would mean that the priesthood of Melchizedek is something other than a divinely appointed priesthood by God Himself (which incidentally is the reason why some anti-tithing theologians have erroneously concluded without Biblical foundation that Melchizedek was a 'pagan priest').

So, if you have so patently contradicted yourself on this issue, would you blame your error on the Bible or anyone else than yourself? smiley
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:17am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

AND JESUS 'DECLARED AS KING  OF KINGS,AND LORD OF LORDS' WHAT A FITTING AND UNDISPUTABLE SIMILARITIES?

On what basis do you make the title of 'king of kings/Lord of lords' a matter of 'similarities'? You've just jumped a huge exegetical gap here, dude. grin

If it were a matter of similarities or resemblance, then ALL three (Melchizedek, Joshua and Jesus) actually had similarity and resemblance in one thing: PEACE. see below -

{(a) Melchizedek, 'also King of Salem, which is, King of peace' - Heb. 7:2;}
     {(b) Joshua, 'he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be
      between them both' - Zech. 6:13;}
     {and (c) Jesus, 'he is our peace, who hath made both one', Eph. 2:14}.

However, I have shown that this is not merely a matter of 'similarities' or ''resemblance' for the writer in Hebrews. If that were the case, then indeed Joshua the high priest in Zechariah 3 & 6 bears far more 'similarities' in function than would Melchizedek to Jesus! And that is 'undisputable'.

On another stretch, neither Melchizedek nor Joshua is called 'king of kings' nor 'Lord of lords' - so there are no 'similarities' there!

And even though Melchizedek was king and priest, it is undisputable that Joshua was seen as combining these two 'functions' in himself, as one who "shall be a priest upon his throne" (Zech. 6:13), wearing both a mitre and crowns (Zech. 3:5 & 6:11)!

Joshua is also said to be clothed with garments as a priest and king (Zech. 3:5) - the very same thing we shall read about Christ who is also clothed in His 'kingly-priest' garment (Rev. 1:13).

Seeing all these things are so, where are the "similarities" that you were making for Melchizedek on the title of Jesus as 'king of kings/Lord of lords'?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:20am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

FURTHER, THE PRE-LAW HIGH PRIESTS, WE ARE NOT BEING PUT IN THE DARK,THAT IS  PRIESTS ''WHOSE HEART''  ARE TOWARDS THE ALMIGHTY GOD OR ACCEPT THE ALMIGHTY GOD OVER THEIR OWN NATIVE gods, AUTOMATICALLY RECEIVE CALL FROM GOD 'IRRESPECTIVE OF THEIR TRIBE OR  NATIVE ORDINATION' EXAMPLE OF THIS IS JETHRO,

Pre-Law priests do not 'automatically receive' calling from God - that is not the basis upon which the non-Jewish priests were consecrated. The example of Jethro is not a calling that was "automatically received" without conditions, for God's call to be priests are not 'irrespective' of this or that but set on divine prerogatives.

Every high priest taken from among men is ordained  for men in the things of God - on several conditions, one of which is that he "CAN HAVE COMPASSION" on the ignorant (Heb. 5:2). Some of these priests might fail or err ('he himself also is compassed with infirmity') - but the divine call itself is not predicated upon questions of one's 'native ordination'. To use Jethro as an example for your presumptions is merely filling gaps and scribbling things which you cannot exegetically demonstrate. Sorry. grin

This is why you jumped another exegetical hole in stating that Jethro was king of Midian -

JETHRO WAS THE KING OF MIDIAN,

Please show me where you got this information from within the Bible. I'm well aware that Fausset's Bible Dictionary assumes he was a 'Prince priest of Midian', but it also confuses the same person to be both 'father of Zipporah, Moses' wife, and of Jethro and Hobab' - but I would like to ask users of Fausset's Dictionary: HOW could the same person be his own father all at the same time? grin

Please lay aside all these fiction from so-called Bible dictionaries and R-E-A-D the Bible for YOURSELF! Show me where the Bible teaches that Jethro was king of Midian and that would suffice. If you can't show this, then let's just say you jumped to conclusion without Biblical foundation - and that's what I call 'hefing'. grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:23am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

AND THEY WORSHIP IDOLS

How do you know this? If that were true, then Jethro would rather have been a priest of an idolatrous people. But Exodus 18 shows on the contrary that he was a Godly priest who knew, served and worshipped the very same God who was worshipped by Israel.

No, nothing around those texts tell us that the priest of Midian officiated over those who worshipped idols as their lifestyle at the time of Jethro's priestly office. If the Midianites fell into idolatry, we can also call into play the fact that Israel also fell into idolatry during Moses and Aaron's time (Exo. 32:7). Not only so, but also the very same Numbers 25 which you quoted in like manner describes Israel's idolatry in declaring that "Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor" (v. 3). This verse that darkens Israel's spiritual history does not warrant the idea that Israel were all a people who worshipped idols - and in the same manner, we cannot accuse the Midianites based on one verse in the same Numbers 25 as if they were an idolatrous people all through their history.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:30am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

BUT AFTER PROFESSING HIS ALLEGIANCE OR TOTAL ACCEPTANCE TO THE ALMIGHTY GOD,  HE PERFORM THE SAME SACRIFICING FUNCTION OF A HIGH PRIEST 'IN THE PRESENCE OF AARON' WHO WAS A PRIEST BY BIRTH AS THE FIRST BORN JUST THE SAME WAY MELCHIZEDECH DID TO ABRAHAM WHO WAS ALSO A PRIEST.

My goodness!  shocked shocked Please go softly on these gigantic leaps, I beg you! You have mumbled and jumbled so many things here, you know! grin

Let me unravel them in five quick points below:

BUT AFTER PROFESSING HIS ALLEGIANCE OR TOTAL ACCEPTANCE TO THE ALMIGHTY GOD,  HE PERFORM THE SAME SACRIFICING FUNCTION OF A HIGH PRIEST . .
1. This sounds like you're trying to make a case for jethro's conversion from idolatry to Judaism. if that were the case, then nothing in the OT shows that at all. Jethro from the start is identified as a priest who knew the very same God as did the Jewish people, for was he altogether ignorant of 'the mountain of God' to which Moses came (Exo. 3:1)? When he spoke of 'the LORD' in Exodus 18, who had converted him in order for him to profess any 'allegiance or total acceptance'?

There were no 'profession or total acceptance' in Jethro's case, because he was not an idol worshipper to begin with.

HE PERFORM THE SAME SACRIFICING FUNCTION OF A HIGH PRIEST 'IN THE PRESENCE OF AARON' WHO WAS A PRIEST BY BIRTH AS THE FIRST BORN . . .

2. Jethro did not function as 'high priest' - he was simply the 'priest' of Midian (Exo. 3:1 & 8:1)

3. Jethro is not said to have performed the same 'sacrificing function' of a "high priest", since he was not even 'high priest' in the first place. Rather, what he offered in Exodus 18 is simply a fellowship meal, so that 'Aaron came, and all the elders of Israel, to eat bread' with him (verse 12). There were others who offered burnt offerings at other times - such as the young men of Israel who Moses sent to offer 'burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD' on an alter under a hill which Moses had built (Exo. 24:5), but these young men were neither "high priests" nor occupying the role of such a high-priestly function.

4. Aaron was NOT 'a priest by birth' - he was first a 'spokesman' unto the people (Exo. 4:16), and was later consecrated as 'priest' by Moses (Exo. 28:41; 30:30).

. . .OF AARON' WHO WAS A PRIEST BY BIRTH AS THE FIRST BORN JUST THE SAME WAY MELCHIZEDECH DID TO ABRAHAM WHO WAS ALSO A PRIEST.
5. Melchizedek is not said to have offered any sacrifices or burnt offerings - so you cannot assume he did the same thing to Abraham as is said of Jethro in Exodus 18. What we simply read is that Melchizedek 'brought forth bread and wine' (Genesis 14:18), nowhere is it said that he offered any sacrifices in his august meeting with Abraham.

I just wanted to be clear here so that we don't take what you have argued for granted. They are full of wild and wide exegetical gaps and presumptions - which are just plainly erroneous.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:33am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

JETHRO SHARE THE SAME 'CALL' TO GOD WITH MELCHIZEDECH,THAT IS THEY ARE BOTH   ELIGIBLE TO OFFICIATE OR EVEN ENJOY TO BE CALLED 'GODS PRIEST' SO THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT MELCHIZECK  THAT WOULD WARRANT 'AN ALLEGED'  'PRISTHOOD 'ORDER', IT DOES NOT EXIST BECAUSE THERE IS NO ''PROOF BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT TO 'PROVE OR STAND' AS A RECOGNISED AND ACCEPTED PROOF, EXCEPT  MERE SPECULATIONS,

I would rather say that YOU are the one making wild speculations - some of which I just unraveled above in 5 quick points.

Now, it is interesting that you asserted that there is nothing special about Melchizedek that would warrant an alleged priesthood 'ORDER'. That is a very wild claxon on your part that totally ignores Scripture, my dear friend. grin

On the contrary, there are a number of special reasons why Melchizedek has an 'ORDER' of priesthood for Christ -

(a) the first is that this ORDER sits as a part of divine prophecy in Jewish Scripture: God pronounced an oath in connection with this ORDER of priesthood - otherwise, Hebrews 7:21 would be most certainly meaningless for people who make your kind of argument;

(b) the second is that this ORDER is not a whimsical contruction which you can argue away on the basis of 'nothing special', or to make it at par with that of Jethro's priesthood or any other kind of priesthood in the OT - otherwise again, the author would not be at pains to urge his recipients to 'consider how great' Melchizedek was (v. 4). Nobody is asked to consider how great Jethro was (even though you magicallly made him 'king of Midian' with absolutely NOTHING to show for it); nobody is asked to consider how great Potipherah was; nobody was even asked to consider 'how great' Moses was, even though Psalm 99:6 declares he was actually a priest. WHY all this? Because the author was not making a case for any apparent 'ORDER' of all these other OT priesthoods - which is why you cannot bring down Melchizedek's priesthood to be at par with Jethro's.

(c) your argument that an alleged priesthood 'ORDER' does not exist is simply a DENIAL of Scripture, because scripture itself shows that such a thing as 'the ORDER of Melchizedek' actually exists! Read it in all these verses below (KJV) -

Psalm 110:4 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchizedek'
Hebrews 5:6 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 5:10 - 'an high priest after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 6:20 - 'an high priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:11 - 'another priest should rise after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:17 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:21 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'

Now tell me: how could ANYONE open their eyes and see all these mention of the ORDER of Melchizedek and still DENY the fact by asserting that -
'THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT MELCHIZECK  THAT WOULD WARRANT 'AN ALLEGED'  'PRISTHOOD 'ORDER', IT DOES NOT EXIST'
What then do you do with all those verses that establishes the fact beyond your DENIAL? grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:36am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

SO WE ARE TOTALLY IN THE DARK NOT FROM THE BIBLE BUT FROM THE AGITATORS OR ADVOCATES OF UNEXISTING 'PRIESTHOOD 'ORDER' ALLEGED TO BE OF  MELCHIZEDECK AND THATS THE ONLY PART THAT REMAINED AN ARTIFICIAL MISTERY OF WHICH THEY USE  ONLY ON ONE PARTICULAR VERSE, IS HEBREW 7: 16;

You can remain in the dark all you want - because as far as i know, the BIBLE itself shows that there is such a thing as the ORDER of Melchizedek. Denying the fact does not bring you into the light, so it's alright to sit comfortably in your self-constructed darkness as you please. grin

Okay, don't take that personally - I was just besides myself, amazed at your unequivocal assertion to deny what Scripture clearly teaches on this point. Don't go down that route - or you would have to explain how YOU come to the conclusion that an 'ORDER' does not exist and so David's prophecy in Psalm 110:4 is just non-existent.

WE ALSO HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST 'ASCENTION TO PRIEST' OUTSIDE LEVITICUS ORDER;HEB 7:13,14;

Nobody is arguing to make Christ a priest according to the Levitical 'order' - so that there is a moot point. The point has already been made that being a Levite does not guarantee that a Jew could enter into Jewish priesthood; and the fact remains that there is a clearly UNDISPUTED fact that a Jew from the family of JUDAH was recognized as a levitical priest - see Judges 17:7 and 18:19. How do you deal with such issues?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:37am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

ALSO

SEE THE DEFINATION OF ''AFTER  THE POWER OF AN ENDLESS LIFE'' (a verse tha advocates of melchi priesthood turned to 'a dynasty'  yes 'dtnasty'in the sense that they actually 'smuggled' their own unproved meaning through the back door using this verse 16 as a cover, now lets uncover or shift the veil using your 'strong hebrew bible dictionary

We didn't turn Melchizedek's priesthood into a dynasty - if we did, we would say so plainly without your apologetics on our behalf. grin The point here is that you have introduced the conundrum of 'dynasty' into this discussion and arrived at a strawman argument all by yourself - raising an objection that nobody else raised, and then trying to knock it down all by yourself at the same time! That's just cheating - in the same way that you denied the 'ORDER' that Scripture teaches SEVERAL TIMES as plainly as clear sky! grin

Relax. Until you begin to handle things simply as they appear in the Bible, your strawman 'dynasty' does not even begin to arise as an issue. Moot point again - or just plain hefing, sorry. grin
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by wordtalk(m): 1:43am On Mar 07, 2012
BERNIMOORE:

NOW THE 'ONUS OF PROOF' LIES ON THE 'ADVOCATES OF THE ALLEDGED MELCHIZEDECK PRIESTHOOD' TO SUPPORT THEIR CLAIM APART FROM HEBREW 7:16, BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT TO SHED MORE LIGHT AND CONVINCE US.

I've done that already in showing several things -

(a)  'similitude' is not the same thing as 'ORDER'

(b)  your argument is erratic because you first attempted to argue that 'after' and 'order' are treated as one word, whereas they are two words in both Psalm 110:4 and Hebrews 7.

(c) your argument is also forcefully in DENIAL - because where we read of the fact that Scripture teaches about the 'ORDER' of melchizedek, you simply DENIED the fact by arguing it does not exist.

(d) the fact that 'ORDER' is not merely a matter of 'resemblance' is shown in the same argument the author uses for Aaron in Hebrews 7:11 ('the ORDER of Aaron') - can you then DENY also that no such thing as 'ORDER' exists in the Aaronic priesthood? Or can you then make the same argument that 'ORDER' in Aaron's case is merely 'resemblance'?

(e) I also showed that Melchizedek's priesthood is NOT at par with any other OT priesthood such as Jethro's or Moses' or Potipherah's - this is because (i) the priesthood of melchizedek features in Jewish Scripture as a divine prophecy; and (ii) it is distinguished from all other priesthoods made without an oath.

Therefore, to find any substance in your arguments denials, you would have to do a few simple things:

1. EXPLAIN WHY and HOW you would DENY the fact that there is an 'ORDER' of priesthood in Scripture in relation to Melchizedek. This will only help us see why YOU cannot accept David's prophecy in Psalm 110 (after the 'ORDER' of Melchizedek), and also why the Hebrew writer would have used the very same argument from divine prophecy that YOU deny.

2. EXPLAIN WHY no other OT priest (aside Aaron's) is said to have an 'ORDER' than Melchizedek- since it is Melchizedek ALONE that is said in divine prophecy to have such an 'ORDER'. It will not do to look at all those verses and declare that an 'ORDER' does not exist - that would simply be flying outside the hemisphere of divine inspiration.

BERNIMOORE:

Note pls,    my particular 'reply' here is divided to A  ,B   and,    C            anyone that would like to QUOTE ME on these particular reply ,should please either quote 'whole' PARAGRAPHS A,  or B or   C, you can only change the color of your particular emphasis on my qote. thanks

It's not possible to follow you in a straight line between your arguments - especially because you seem to have muddled up the issues and jumped to erroneous conclusions. So, bear with me as I've tried to unravel them in a coherent manner. wink
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 10:16am On Mar 07, 2012
I'm not very comfortable when people base all their arguments only on the old testament.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
wordtalk:
In essence, you need more than mere genealogy to guarantee serving in the Jewish priesthood - which is what the writer to the Hebrews wanted to impress upon his recipients in that epistle.

I don't see this anywhere in the bible.

wordtalk:
The point was that Christ was goingg to be established as priest 'after the order of Melchizedek' - and that was indeed going to happen, and it did! On that basis therefore, "the Jews would have protested against David's prophetic declaration of a priest 'after the order of Melchizedek' in Psalm 110"

Yes, Christ was going to be established as Priest, and that did happen. A non-Levi priest in a Jewish temple was not going to happen, or you think the Jews would be bothered about a Priest serving in an Heavenly temple? grin that falls outside the purview of the Levi priests grin

wordtalk:
the Jew had every right to 'protest' a non-Jewish lineage for those who were to serve as Jewish priest within the declarations of the Law.

As noted above, there was no need for protest grin

Hebrews 8:4 (KJV)
4For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 4:30pm On Mar 08, 2012
wordtalk:
That, again, ignores the real question I raised there: "Why not rather a priesthood after the order of 'Jethro' or of 'Potipherah'??" If you're saying it was because the Jews knew Jethro, then why not Potipherah - since the Jews also 'knew' Potipherah in the same manner?

It depends on what the writer was aiming to achieve.

Quote - "Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek"

Jesus' eternal priesthood is similar to Melchizedek who had no descendents, and there were no priests to follow him.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 4:42pm On Mar 08, 2012
wordtalk:
2. And the durability rests, not on the man, but on both a 'divine oath' and 'the power of an endless life'. This was to show on what basis the priesthood would be more than 'transcient' and very unlike the 'perpectual' priesthood of Aaron.

I'll agree with the above if the priesthood you refer to is that of Christ.

wordtalk:
I've given several reasons why the author is focusing on MORE THAN similarities in persons in that chapter, none of which you have addressed.

Where? Kindly assist, Point me in the right direction.

wordtalk:
Just in the same manner, when I said that the durability of the priesthood did not rest on the man as in the case of Melchizedek, I meant to distinguish between the person and the priesthood in order to show that the priesthood itself rested on something other than the person. In the case of Christ, it rested both on a divine oath and the power of an endless life.

Okay. What about Melchi?
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 5:23pm On Mar 08, 2012
wordtalk:
The key to all this that you're missing is this: DIVINE PROPHECY! The only grounds that the Jew would concede to Melchizedek's priesthood is, like I said earlier, the fact that this particular priesthood 'leaves all other priesthoods behind (such as Jethro's and Potipherah's) and enters directly into the divine records of Jewish prophecy

Nobody is arguing prophecy here. I believe your concern was why Melchi featuring in the prophecy and not some other priest.

wordtalk:
which makes a very, very strong case as to why the Jew MUST accept it even after the Law of Moses had been given.

I still don't know where you get the idea that the Jew accepted it. If they did, there would be no need for the Hebrews text.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 6:41pm On Mar 08, 2012
wordtalk:
If that was how the Jews already saw Melchi, what then would have been the need for the author to try to convince them of what they already knew?

It's not about Melchi. He was just a reference point.

wordtalk:
But that was in the sense that only Christ fitted the qualifications of that priesthood - the priesthood after the ORDER of Melchizedek.

What are the 'qualifications'?

wordtalk:
Unless you're trying to ignore the question of the DURABILITY of the priesthood, there would be no basis for even bringing in the issue of an 'endless life' here - because the Jew ALREADY viewed the Messiah/Christ as abiding forever according to their Scripture (see John 12:34)

Why not? it like saying there would be no basis for the Hebrews writer to keep quoting your favorite psalms 110, since the Jews were already familiar.

wordtalk:
But if the basis and durability of the priesthood matter to you, then you would only have to seek answers to these two basis questions:

1. On what basis then is the durability of ANY priesthood to be reckoned?

I only have issues with durability when you attempt to describe the nature of Melchizedek's priesthood using the personality of Christ. But to answer your question, i think it all depends on the manner or way the priesthood was set-up.

wordtalk:
On what basis is the durability of Melchizedek's priesthood reckoned?

Don't know. wasn't there at set-up, and there are no info to work with.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 6:05am On Mar 10, 2012
wordtalk:

That said, the chapter does not predicate the priesthood as drawing from Christ's 'divine nature'. To argue like that would mean that Melchizedek's priesthood drew also from his own nature - whether divine, celestial or human.

Melchi priesthood drew from his very (human) nature, one reason why his priesthood cannot be compared to that of Christ. Christ did not succeed a dead or dying priest and will not be replaced by another priest in future.

wordtalk:

it would place his priesthood at par with other priesthoods where men were made priests and yet suffered death as well (verse 23).

I don't see how his death place him at par with other priesthoods. I don't recall reading about other priests that serves as priest in an heavenly temple or tabernacle.

wordtalk:

However, the issue here is all about the basis of the durability of the priesthood which Christ takes up. If the priesthood of Melchizedek was to be 'for ever',

It is not stated anywhere in the bible that the priesthood of melchi is forever.

wordtalk:

So what does that solve for the recipients of Hebrews? Did the Aaronic priesthood draw from the nature of Aaron in order for it to be a 'perpectual' priesthood?

The Aaronic priesthood continues by seccession of priests, one dies and is replaced by another. For Christ's, there is only one priest, he did not replace anybody and will not be succeded by another priest.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 6:37am On Mar 10, 2012
wordtalk:

Why do you think that OF ALL THE PRIESTS/PRIESTHOODS mentioned in the OT, ONLY that of Melchizedek features in Jewish divine PROPHECY?

If Christ was to be a priest without succession (i.e. continues as priest forever), which other priest serve as reference point if not the priest (Melchi) that is considered as still being in office (without succession).

Hebrews 7:3
Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
[/i]

Hebrews 7:8
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
[i]

wordtalk:

And no - it is not merely a matter of that weak argument of 'similarities' of persons or priesthood: it goes much more beyond that, as I've shown several times!

All you done so far is to complicate a very simple matter tongue
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 7:07am On Mar 10, 2012
wordtalk:

Those who benefit as BELIEVERS from the priesthood of Christ 'after the order of Melchizedek' are a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD.

Priethood of Christ 'after the order of Melchizedek' shocked grin looks like you are seriously marketing Melchi grin what's wrong with just calling it 'Priesthood of Christ'?

wordtalk:

Peter was not thinking about a different kind of priesthood - which was why I mentioned that he recognizes "the function of this type of priesthood" that Melchizedek bore even though he did not mention the man by name. You don't need to mention someone or something by name before you're able to recognize the character or function of a particular subject.

Unless you are telling me wordtalk is Peter, i don't see how you can be reading his thoughts.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 8:36am On Mar 10, 2012
wordtalk:

If you want to argue against the fact on the basis of Hebrews 7:14, then let me ask you: what happens when a Levite is from the family of Judah - could he not also be a priest? If not, WHY then do we find a clear example of a case of a Levite priest who was from the family of JUDAH as in Judges 17:7?

The issue of 'regular line of priesthood' does not even arise here - because that is not what the writer sought as his ground of argument. He knew that if he were to make the argument of 'regular line', some of his recipients would have invalidated that kind of argument upon the fact that a Jew from the family of JUDAH was also recognized as a Levitical priest in Israel - Judges 17:7.

A Levite from the tribe of Judah shocked grin How can a Levite be from the tribe of Judah unless he is also a Levite grin We know Levite can marry other tribes as shown in chapter 19, but they are still a Levite.

Judges 19:1 (KJV)
And it came to pass in those days, when there was no king in Israel, that there was a certain Levite sojourning on the side of mount Ephraim, who took to him a concubine out of Bethlehemjudah.

Anyways, i think the issue here is restrictions on the office of the high priest. Your reference to the Judges 17 & 18 is not valid tongue cos that was a period peeps do as they pleased.

Judges 17:6
In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

Micah even consecrated his son just before that.

Judges 17:5
And the man Micah had an house of gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons, who became his priest.

Can you even imagine the Levite was bribed collected salary for his efforts grin not different from our modern day pastors grin

Judges 17:10
And Micah said unto him, Dwell with me, and be unto me a father and a priest, and I will give thee ten shekels of silver by the year, and a suit of apparel, and thy victuals. So the Levite went in.

Who consecrated the Levite from Judah? you can be sure it was not approved by God. The man Micah was just deceiving himself jare grin

Judges17:11-12 (KJV)
And the Levite was content to dwell with the man; and the young man was unto him as one of his sons. 12And Micah consecrated the Levite; and the young man became his priest, and was in the house of Micah.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Zikkyy(m): 8:51am On Mar 10, 2012
wordtalk:

the priesthood of Melchizedek stands out above all other priesthoods of the OT because it was predicated on a DIVINE OATH

Where is this from? I don't see it anywhere in the bible
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2012
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 12:07am On Mar 16, 2012
Hypocrisy of wordtalk exposed, watch out!
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 8:56pm On Mar 18, 2012
[b]@wordtalk,

reply to wordtalk on my last post;Im too busy this days but have to give this replies in batches.

YOUR RESPONSE TO MY LAST POST ARE NUMEROUS,AND WHEN I REALISED THAT YOU HAVE DELIBERATELY MIXED UP SOME THINGS UP BY DEFYING THE INSTRUCTION AS A GUIDE TO A SIMPLE ANALYTICAL AND LOGICAL 'SCRIPTURAL ANSWERS THAT I ACTUALLY ADDED (of which you aknowledged)LIKE THIS BELOW;

BERNIMOORE:

Note pls, my particular 'reply' here is divided to A ,B and, C anyone that would like to QUOTE ME on these particular reply ,should please either quote 'whole' PARAGRAPHS A, or B or C, you can only change the color of your particular emphasis on my qote. thanks

BUT YOU DEFIED THAT ORDER BY SHOWING A RECKLESS ATTITUDE BELOW;

wordtalk;
It's not possible to follow you in a straight line between your arguments - especially because you seem to have muddled up the issues and jumped to erroneous conclusions. So, bear with me as I've tried to unravel them in a coherent manner.
)

COMPREHENSIVELY,YOU HAVE JUST FAILED,

BUT THEN LET ME TREAT YOUR REPLY BY SIFTING 'GRAIN' FROM 'SHAFT'
WHICH IS ALWAYS THE BEST SOLUTION IN TREATING YOUR KIND OF APPROACH ,FIRSTLY;

My quote;
Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

[b]Similitude
G3665
ὁμοιότης
homoiotēs
hom-oy-ot'ace

From G3664; resemblance: - like (as), similitude.

YOUR REPLY TO THIS ABOVE READS;

wordtalk

HOWEVER, there are two things to bear out here:

1. The whole of the writer's argument in chapter 7 does not rest on the issue of 'similitude' in verse 15 - so, we are not dealing with 'similitude' as a replacement for the word 'ORDER' in verse 17.

2. Since the thrust of the writer's argument for the priesthood of Melchizedek rests on an 'ORDER', we should seek to deal with this one rather than focus on 'similitude'.

IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOU 'RUDELY' REFFERED TO 'AN' INSPIRED BIBLE WRITER AS 'WRITERS ARGUMENT' THAT ALONE SHOWS GROSS DISRESPECT TO THE SCRIPTURES AND THIS DISRESPECTFULL TREATMENT HAS JUST EXPOSED AN UNFAIR ATTITUDE OF BRINGING 'DEAD TECHICALTIES' IN HUMAN PHILOSOPHIES AT PAR WITH THE DISCERMENT OF HOLY SCRIPTURES,THATS WHY YOU USE WORDS LIKE 'JUMPING EXEGICAL HOLES' 'MUDDLED UP' 'GROUND OF ARGUMENT' 'GIST OF THE WRITER'.(dont mind my spellings,im just in a hurry)

UNFORTUNATELY,MANY THINGS THAT I THOUGHT THAT YOU KNEW,YOUR COMMENTS SHOWS OTHERWISE WITH INFUSIONS OF DEAD TECHNICALITIES OR MIND BUGGLING DEBATE LEADING US NOWHERE ECXEPT TO MAKE OTHER READERS TIRE OUT,BUT THEN IM GLAD TO SHOW YOU HOW 'GODS WORD' HAS SURVIVED WITHOUT 'DEAD TECHNICALITIES' YOU PROMOTE BUT RENDERED AS FOOLISHNESS,YOU NEED TO AKNOWLEDGE THESE;

1 Corinthians 1:19-24

19 For it is written:
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”
20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5

4, For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

1 Corinthians 2:12-13
King James Version (KJV)
12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

I ALWAYS BUST INTO LAUGHTER WHEN YOU TRY TO ASSUME THE MIND OF A BIBLE WRITER,WHAT DO YOU THINK PAULS POINT HERE MEANS;
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know GoD,it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe

WHY ARE YOU TELLING US THINGS BELOW;

Since the thrust of the writer's argument for the priesthood of Melchizedek rests on an 'ORDER'
WHO GAVE YOU SUCH AUTHORITY?
OR THIS;
we should seek to deal with this one rather than focus on 'similitude'.
WHO ARE THE 'WE' OR WHO GAVE YOU HIS CONSENT ON WHERE TO FOCUS,

I THINK THAT BECAUSE YOU FELT JITTERY THAT 'SIMILITUDE' WAS ACTUALLY USED FOR ORDER,YOU NOW ON YOUR OWN ASSUME AN UNDESERVED ROLE TO DIRECT US WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE,EHN,UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY AKNOWLEDGE THAT GOD HIMSELF IS THE AUTHOR OF THE BIBLE,AND THE BIBLE 'IS WRITTEN THROUGH INSPIRATION OF GOD'

2 Tim.3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed.

EVERYTHING THE MEN WROTE IN THE BIBLE WAS INSPIRED, OR BREATHED, BY GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT. THE MEN DID THE WRITING, BUT THE HOLY SPIRIT BREATHED INTO THEM WHAT THEY SHOULD WRITE.

1 Cor.2:13 . . . which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual truths in spiritual words.

2 Peter 1:21
King James Version (KJV)

21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost..

1. THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY MEN AS THEY WERE MOVED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.
2. GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT GAVE HIS PENMEN EVERY THOUGHT AND EVERY WORD THEY WROTE IN THE BIBLE. (VERBAL INSPIRATION)
NOTE: THE WRITERS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT WERE CALLED PROPHETS. THE WRITERS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT WERE CALLED APOSTLES AND EVANGELISTS. THE OLD TESTAMENT WAS WRITTEN IN THE HEBREW LANGUAGE, THE NEW TESTAMENT IN THE GREEK LANGUAGE. IN ALL, GOD EMPLOYED ABOUT 40 MEN TO WRITE THE BIBLE, BEGINNING WITH MOSES AND ENDING WITH THE APOSTLE JOHN.

SO IF WORDTALK REFFERED TO THESE MEN AS MERE AUTHORS, THATS HIS BUSINESS,IM NOT GOING TO CONTEST AGAIN THAT SELF ELEVATED NOTION WHERE BECAUSE YOU WROTE SOME BOOKS,NOW MAKES YOU TO SEE YOURSELF AS SOMEONE WHO CAN BE AT PAR WITH BIBLES INSPIRED WRITERS IS A HUGE JOKE, REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO MIRRIAM,KORAH,DATAN AND ABIRAM AGAINST MOSES,
A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.

NOW, I WILL SHOW YOU THAT 'SIMILITUDE' IS SAME AS 'ORDER'IN MY NEXT POST.[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 9:54pm On Mar 19, 2012
[b]Continued;@wordtalk;

(cc. @ZIKKY can you pls aknowledge wordtalk ever relied on using these 3 bible translations GNT,YLT AND WYC.Bible translation to prove 'after the order'of which i copied below)thanks

@ wordtalk

MY EARLIER POST,I PROMISED TO SHOW YOU THAT 'SIMILITUDE' AS USED IN THE HEBREW'S CONTEXT IS SAME AS 'ORDER'
NOW,IM NOT GOING TOO FAR,IM GOING TO SHOW IT TO YOU USING YOUR OWN BIBLE REFFERENCES OF WHICH I WILL REFER TO BY USING A LEGAL TERMS HERE THAT IS; 'PLEADINGS' AS IN STATING A PARTICULAR EXHIBIT OR RELYING ON A PARTICULAR EXHIBIT IN WHOLE AS AN EVIDENCE,HAVING AKNOWLEDGED MY QUOTE BELOW ,

My quote;
Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

[b]Similitude
G3665
ὁμοιότης
homoiotēs
hom-oy-ot'ace

From G3664; resemblance: - like (as), similitude.

YOU WENT ON TO REPLY LIKE THIS;
Wordtalk

(a) 'similitude' is not the same thing as 'ORDER'

TO EXPOSE YOUR HYPOCRISY,USING YOUR OWN BIBLE REFFERENCES WHILE TREATING 'AFTER THE ORDER' WITH ZIKKY,YOU ACTUALLY QUOTED FROM 3 OTHER BIBLE TRANSLATIONS,WHOLY RELYING ON THEIR TRANSLATIONS;BELOW ARE YOUR CONVERSATION WITH ZIKKY WHERE YOU ACTUALLY RELY WHOLY ON THE BIBLE TRANSLATION THIS IS HOW YOU CONVIENIENTLY PRESENT THEM BELOW;

by wordtalk(m): 19 days & 6 hours
^^
Not bad. Here is another translation to 'assist' -

Hebrews 7:17 Good News Translation (GNT)

17 For the scripture says, You will be a priest forever, in the priestly order of Melchizedek

or, by another translation to 'assist' -

Hebrews 7:17 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

17for He doth testify -- `Thou [art] a priest -- to the age, according to the order of Melchisedek;'

. . . or, even this one:

Hebrews 7:17 Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

17 For he witnesseth, That thou art a priest without end, by the order of Melchisedec; [Soothly he witnesseth, For thou art a priest into without end, after the order of Melchisedec;]

NOW USING YOUR ABOVE 'PLEADED' BIBLE TRANSLATIONS,TO SHOW YOUR HYPOCRISY;
a,Good News Translation (GNT)
b,Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
c,Wycliffe Bible (WYC)

LETS SEE HOW THE WORD 'ORDER' WAS RENDERED USING THE 3 BIBLE TRANSLATIONS THAT YOU RELIED ON IN HEB 7:15;
a,Hebrews 7:15
Good News Translation (GNT)

15 The matter becomes even plainer; a different priest has appeared, who is like Melchizedek.
b,Hebrews 7:15
Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
15And it is yet more abundantly most evident, if according to the similitude of Melchisedek there doth arise another priest,
c,Hebrews 7:15
Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
15 And more yet it is known, if by the order of Melchisedec another priest is risen up; [And more yet it is known, if after the order of Melchisedec another priest riseth;]

FOLLOWING THE 3 BIBLE TRANSLATIONS THAT YOU RELIED ON HEB 7:15,'AFTER THE SIMILITUDE' WAS ACTUALLY TRANSLATED;
a,GNT= WHO IS 'LIKE' b,YLT=THE 'SIMILITUDE' OF c,WYC='AFTER THE ORDER' WHICH MEANS;

'LIKE' IS SAME AS 'SIMILITUDE' IS ALSO SAME AS 'AFTER THE ORDER'.

PLS NOTE THAT THESE ARE YOUR OWN RELIABLE BIBLE REFERENCES,THERE IS NO DENIAL.

SO NOW WORDTALK, WHO IS LYING BETWEEN MYSELF AND YOU,OR WHO IS FORCEFULLY DENYING NOW?

wordtalk,quote
[quote]However, I think you are completely WRONG there, and have only fallen into the same error that you wanted to 'correct' in respondng to garyarnold. Actually, the original oath in Psalm 110:4 uses two different words for 'after' (על, 'al) and 'order' (דּברה, dibrâh) - they are NOT treated as the same or even as a single Hebrew word.

@wordtalk,

YOU WRONGLY ACCUSED ME OF ERROR IN PSALM 110:4 ABOVE AND BELOW,THAT I OMITTED (H5921)USED FOR AFTER, AND THAT WILL MAKE ME COPY AND PASTE DIRECTLY HOW IT WAS RENDERED TO SHOW YOU IF YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE ACCUSING ME OF;
Wordtalk
your argument is also forcefully in DENIAL - because where we read of the fact that Scripture teaches about the 'ORDER' of melchizedek, you simply DENIED the fact by arguing it does not exist.
PLS WHERE ARE THE SCRIPTURES;

IF THOSE VERSES QUOTED BELOW ARE WHAT YOU REFFERED TO;
WORDTALK
Psalm 110:4 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchizedek'
Hebrews 5:6 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 5:10 - 'an high priest after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 6:20 - 'an high priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:11 - 'another priest should rise after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:17 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
Hebrews 7:21 - 'a priest for ever after the ORDER of Melchisedec'
THEN I HAVE JUST PROVE YOU WRONG IN YOUR OWN RELIED REFFERENCES,SO JUST REPLACE 'ORDER' TO 'LIKE'NOW.
Now tell me: how could ANYONE open their eyes and see all these mention of the ORDER of Melchizedek and still DENY the fact by asserting that -
'THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT MELCHIZECK THAT WOULD WARRANT 'AN ALLEGED' 'PRISTHOOD 'ORDER', IT DOES NOT EXIST'
What then do you do with all those verses that establishes the fact beyond your DENIAL?
wordtalk quote;

IMMIDIATELY START DOING THAT REPLACEMENT BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU,RIGHT NOW,AT LEAST YOU RELIED ON THE BIBLE TRANSLATIONS.

(b) your argument is erratic because you first attempted to argue that 'after' and 'order' are treated as one word, whereas they are two words in both Psalm 110:4 and Hebrews 7.

The (H1700) was used only for 'order' (דּברה, dibrâh), but not for 'after'. So what happened to (H5921) which was used for 'after' (על, 'al)?

No, you're wrong here BERNIMOORE. While you erred in assuming that H1700 applied to two Hebrew words, the fact is that you left out (H5921) for the other word in Psalm 110:4.

BELOW,I HAVE JUST COPIED AND PASTE DIRECTLY HOW(psalm 110:4) WAS RENDERED IN THE HEBREW DICTIONARY (without Additions and subtractions);

Ps 110:4 The LORD[i]H3068[/i] hath sworn,H7650 and will not repent[i]H5162[/i], Thou [art] a priest[i]H3548 [/i] for ever[i]H5769 [/i] after the orderH1700 of Melchizedek.H4442

NOW,WHERE IS (H5921)HERE ABOVE?
YOUR FURTHER REPLIES BELOW WERE JUST OUT OF CONTEXT,OR CONCOCTED AND FABRICATED BASED ON SPECULATION;

Wordtalk;
If you're looking for a similar construct (but with a different meaning) where two or more words in English appear only as a single word in the Hebrew, then look up 1 Chronicles 23:31 -

'And to offer all burnt sacrifices unto the LORD in the sabbaths, in the new moons, and on the set feasts, by number, according to the order commanded unto them, continually before the LORD: '

The four English words above ('according to the order') are actually the translation of a single Hebrew word - משׁפּט (mishpâṭ). See also 2 Chronicles 8:14 for the same thing.

IF YOU CONCUCTION ABOVE IS WHAT YOU RELY ON TO ACCUSE ME OF ERROR,I THINK I DESERVED AN APPOLOGY FOR WRONGFULL ACCUSATION,

AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED,

a,(H5921)WAS NOT INCLUDED IN PSALM 110:4 ABOVE,AND YOUR FORCEFULL INCLUSION OF IT DOES NOT REMOVE THE FACT THAT 'YOU CANT BE ROME THAN THE POPE'.
b,THAT IM NOT THE ONE THAT LEFT (H5921)OUT BUT WAS NOT DEEMED SUITABLE FOR USE IN THE SENTENCE.

wordtalk;
The reason I pointed this out is not so much about the impact it has on your analysis of the word 'order' as used both in Hebrews 7 and Psalm 110. Rather, I think it matters to us that your attempt to 'correct' someone else and failing in the process only throws open the question of whether or not you have a good grasp of what you're arguing as far as the languages go.

NOW, I THINK IT IS YOU WHO DID NOT HAVE 'A GOOD GRASP'OF THE WORD 'ORDER'AS USED IN BOTH HEBREWS AND PSALMS,AS I WILL EXPOSE YOUR HYPOCRYSY LATER IN MY POST.

Wordtalk
Okay, now let's look at what seemed to have bothered you on the question of the clause 'AFTER THE ORDER'.
If 'manner' or 'style' was all that the author of Hebrews was trying to make, would it be the same in his use of that word 'order' for Aaron? After, he spoke about the 'order of Aaron' in Hebrews 7:11 - so was he effectively saying that other priests were simply called after 'the manner' of Aaron? Don't forget that in both cases of Aaron and Melchizedek, he used the same Greek word, 'τάξις (taxis)' - just so you know.

LETS SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF HERE,
Hebrews 7:11
11,If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

ABOVE HERE,YOU FORCEFULLY INSERT ‘IF OTHER PRIESTS’(as in continous tenses) BUT THE WORD IS ‘THAT ANOTHER PRIEST SHOULD’(an entity)(and it is fitting that christ priesthood alone is forever,so there is nothing that should even warant the use of word 'other priests'here.more so and not be called after the order of Aaron?

HAVING REMOVED THE CHAFF HERE,THE REAL WHEAT LOOKS LIKE THIS;BELOW USING YOUR SENTENCE

Wordtalk
so was he effectively saying that other priests were simply called after 'the manner' of Aaron?
WILL READ LIKE THIS;
so was he effectively saying that 'another priest' were simply called after 'the manner' of Aaron

PLS STOP CREATING CONTEXT WITH THE AIM TO MISDIRECT PEOPLE,ITS ABSURD TO DO THAT.I THINK I MUST COMMEND YOU ON CHANGING OF CONTEXT FOR YOUR OWN SATISFACTION,BUT SORRY, VIGILANT PEOPLE DONT FALL INTO THE TRAP.

wordtalk;
A most serious problem in assuming it was merely a matter of style would mean that Melchizedek had nothing special to offer the Jew as far as priesthood was concerned - because, firstly, other priests in the OT also had qualifications in their 'manner' of priesthood; and secondly, we would have to answer the question of WHY no other priest fitted the 'manner' more than Melchizedek.
ONLY PEOPLE WHO TENDS TO FALL INTO THE TRAP OF DEAD TECHNICALITIES,NOT ACCORDING TO GODS WORD BUT TO HAVE INTELECTUAL SATISFACTION WILL GIVE ATTENTION TO YOUR 'WHY'S QUESTIONS LEADING US NOWHERE;
1cor,1:21
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God,it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe

SINCE IT PLEASES GOD TO EXLUSIVELY OR WITHOUT CHALENGE USE THE 'LIKENESS' OF MELCHI'S PRIEST-KING FITTINGLY COMPARED TO JESUS SIMILAR PRIEST-'KING OF KINGS',IF IT LOOKS FOOLISH TO YOU IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU DEMAND AN EXPLANATION,WELL,IT PLEASED GOD WITHOUT AN APPOLOGY TO WORDTALK.
Wordtalk
There is a reason why he kept mentioning this 'order' of MELCHIZEDEK earlier in chapters 5 and 6 before he came to 7. If he was merely arguing his case on Hebrew constructs from Psalm 110, he would long have lost his audience! But he wanted to impress his recipients with something far more than 'similarities' - because he knew that they already had more than enough to show that mere 'similarities' in priesthood is not going to convince anyone about what he was arguing

Is that enough to ground his argument merely on the question of 'manner' of priesthood

I don't see how that underscores the gist of the writer of Hebrews in that chapter.

Regular line or not, the writer actually employed even far stronger basis for his arguments. Rather than deal with a 'regular lineage' of priests, he spoke about Someone who was not even connected with priestly service in the first place, talkless of being priest from another line!?.

He first had to deal with this question in verses 13 and 14 in two ways:

(a) v. 13 - the author asserts that this Person was from a tribe of which "no one has ever served at the altar" - even though the same Person was actually a Jew and could arguably have links to the priestly pedigree. Aside from the fact that among the ancestors of Jesus are several individuals named LEVI and MELCHI (see Luke 3), there are other valid reasons that a Jew could present to query the author's assertion here; so he goes on to verse 14 to show that his case had some other 'evidence' -

(b) v. 14 - although the author also argues that Moses said nothing about priesthood from the tribe of Judah, yet that in itself does not deny someone from the tribe of Judah being recognized as a Levitical priest.

YOUR WORDS IN BLUE IS 'SELF ASSUMING'BY QUESTIONING AN INSPIRED WRITTER WHO WROTE BY GODS INPIRATION,TO COME AND EXPLAIN WHAT TO YOU?INSULT,AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT NOBODY GAVE YOU THOSE AUTHORITY TO TELL US WHAT YOU 'FEEL' AS IF YOU ARE THERE WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN OR THE MOTIVES OF THE WRITER,PLEASE GO TO THE POINT STRAIGHT,TELLING US 'THIS IS WHAT THE WRITER IS OR THAT', IS JUST OFFENDING AS IT WASTES TIME AND TAKES MORE SPACES WITHOUT TREATING THE REAL ISSUE ITSELF.SO STOP IT IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO TAKE YOU SERIOUS.

Wordtalk

Perhaps the second point in (b) above surprises you? Well, let me expound on that.

NO,IM NOT SURPRISED.I HAVE EARLIER STATED THAT YOU HAVE UNFORTUNATELY CHOOSEN A RECKLESS APPROACH INSTEAD OF YOU PATIENTLY SEACH FOR THE REAL ANSWER.

Wordtalk;
As I've always tried to show, being from the tribe of Levi was no guarantee of being a Jewish priest, especially where one could have a mixed pedigree; but that is also no guarantee to deny that a Jew from Judah could most definitely be recognized as a Jewish priest.
YOUR ARGUMENT ABOVE,SHOWS YOUR LEVEL OF REASONING SERIOUSLY NEEDS TO BE CHECKED,SORRY FOR THIS,A VIRUS CAN CAN BE DEADLY,HOW DO I MEAN;
Proverbs 3:5-6

5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

SEEKING ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE IS TO ENHANCE OUR APPRECIATION AND RESPECT TO GODS WORD.BUT SEEKING 'HARMFULL KNOWLEDGE' DEPRECIATES OUR APPRECIATIONS AND VALUES RESPECTING GOD AND HIS WORDS.
I DONT SEE YOU MAKING ANY SENSE ABOVE AND BELOW HAD IT BEEN THAT YOU HAVE AKNOWLEDGED THE BOOK OF PROVERBS ABOVE,
LETS EXPANCIATE BELOW MORE OF YOUR QUOTES;

wordtalk;
If you want to argue against the fact on the basis of Hebrews 7:14, then let me ask you: what happens when a Levite is from the family of Judah - could he not also be a priest? If not, WHY then do we find a clear example of a case of a Levite priest who was from the family of JUDAH as in Judges 17:7?

The issue of 'regular line of priesthood' does not even arise here - because that is not what the writer sought as his ground of argument. He knew that if he were to make the argument of 'regular line', some of his recipients would have invalidated that kind of argument upon the fact that a Jew from the family of JUDAH was also recognized as a Levitical priest in Israel - Judges 17:7.

LETS TREAT THE WORDS IN BLUE;

a,
WHY then do we find a clear example of a case of a Levite priest who was from the family of JUDAH as in Judges 17:7?

IT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE THAT YOU HAVE TO SAY THIS ABOVE, LET ME ASK YOU PERSONALLY,
DO YOU HAVE TWO FATHERS?

OBVIOUSLY, YOU CAN ONLY BE CERTIFIED TO A PARTICULAR FATHER WITH SIMILAR D.N.A. AND NOT TWO.
WHICH MEANS WHAT IS SO SURE BELOW IS;

NOW LETS READ;
judges 17:7
7And there was a young man out of Bethlehemjudah of the family of Judah, who was a Levite, and he sojourned there.

8And the man departed out of the city from Bethlehemjudah to sojourn where he could find a place: and he came to mount Ephraim to the house of Micah, as he journeyed.

9And Micah said unto him, Whence comest thou? And he said unto him, I am a Levite of Bethlehemjudah, and I go to sojourn where I may find a place.

a1 THE MAN 'DECLARED AS A LEVI'SHOWS THAT 'HE'IS ACTUALLY FROM THE TRIBE OF 'LEVI' AND THE WORD 'OF' BETHLEHEMJUDAH (a city) AND NOT 'FROM' BETHLEHEMJUDAH (a native), THAT EXPLAINS HIS NEED TO FIND A DWELLING PLACE.

a2,THERE WAS NO MENTION OF 'FROM' THE 'TRIBE OF JUDAH' HERE, NO,BUT A CITY CALLED BETHLEHEMJUDAH,(Vs 8,And the man departed out of the city from Bethlehemjudah to sojourn where he could find a place)

a3,OBVIOUSLY,THE LEVI 'IS FINDING A PLACE WHERE HE COULD STAY (vs8),AND THE REASON BEING THAT;
(vs6,In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes).

I EXPECTED YOU IN YOUR OWN DISCRESION TO DISCERN THAT NOT EVERYONE WHO LIVES IN A PARTICULAR CITY ARE 'NATIVES'OF THE CITY,EXPECIALLY IN THE 'CITY OF BETHLEHEMJUDAH'THE LEVI STILL SEEK WHERE TO DWELL,AND STILL GOES FURTHER EVEN AFTER STAYING WITH MICAH HE STILL MOVED ALONG TO SOJORN WITH THE TRIBE OF DAN.(chp 18:19,24)DOES THAT MEAN HE IS A LEVI FROM TRIBE OF DAN?

wordtalk
So, when he argues in Hebrews 7:14 that the line of Judah says nothing about priesthood/priests, that in itself does not wash with the fact that Jewish priests from the tribe of JUDAH were recognized in Israel's history, as in the example of Judges 17:7 and 18:19.

YOU SERIOUSLY ERRED IN ASSUMING THAT A PRIEST WAS ACTUALLY RECOGNISED FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH,WITHOUT DOING YOUR HOME WORK VERY WELL,SO YOUR ANSWER IS IN VS 6.
NOTHING OF SUCH HAPPENED,THERE WAS ONLY 'ONE'TRIBE OF LEVI ALLOTED WITH PRIESHOOD RESPONSIBILITIES,A LEVI WHO RESIDES TEMPORARILY IN THE CITY OF BETHLEHEMJUDAH DOES NOT WARRANT BEING CALLED A 'PRIEST'FROM TRIBE OF JUDAH,ITS ABSURD AND MISLEADING,
THIS FURTHER SHOWS THAT,IN WATERING DOWN INSPIRED WRITERS PROOF THAT SHOWS THE SIMILARITIES OR 'LIKE FOR LIKE' BETWEEN JESUS PRIESTHOOD AND MELCHI, ADVOCATES OF 'PRIESTHOOD ORDER OF MELCHIZEDECK' AGAIN SHOWS HOW RECKLESS THEY CAN GO IN WATERING DOWN AN ESTABLISHED PROOF THAT,JESUS ACTUALLY CAME FROM A TRIBE THAT 'NOTHING IS SAID ABOUT OFFICIATING AT THE TEMPLE' WHAT A DISGRACE TO THE ADVOCATES OF PRIESTHOOD ORDER THAT DOES NOT EXIST!

Wordtalk
An example is his assertion that Isaac was the 'only begotten' of Abraham (Heb. 11:17) when in very fact we know from the record in Genesis that Abraham had other sons besides Isaac! This 'mystery' is possibly reconciled when we seek the manner of the author's rhetorical style for such nuances.

YOU 'RUDELY' REFFERED TO 'AN' INSPIRED BIBLE WRITER'S INSPIRED WRITINGS AS 'ASSERTION' SHOWS GROSS DISRESPECT TO THE SCRIPTURES.

Hebrews 11:17
17By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

SEE ANOTHER REFFERENCE THIS TIME FROM GOD HIMSELF;
Genesis 22

1,And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

2,And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac,

OR THIS

16,And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son

ISHMAEL IS THE FIRSTBORN, OF THE TWO ISAAC IS LAST. BUT ISHMAEL IS REJECTED AS THE MESSIAH'S LINEAGE AND ISAAC IS ACCEPTED.

ESAU IS THE FIRSTBORN, JACOB IS LAST. BUT ESAU IS REJECTED AND JACOB IS ACCEPTED.

SO THE QUESTION OF 'WHY' HERE DOES NOT ARISE OR MUST BE SOLVED BY THE 'INSPIRED WRITERS' BUT GOD ALMIGHTY.
wordtalk
Only lazy readers of Scripture would let Hebrews 7:14 overshadow all other considerations in the Old Testament

LAZINESS INDEED ,ACCORDING TO DEAD TECHNICALITIES,BUT SEE YOUR ANSWER BELOW (in blue);
1cor 1:21
For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God,it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 9:20am On Mar 29, 2012
This has been hugely informative and exciting, wondering how many people in here still think Tithes and the likes apply to us today.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by PastorKun(m): 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2012
FXKing2012: This has been hugely informative and exciting, wondering how many people in here still think Tithes and the likes apply to us today.

Beneficiaries of tithes like your Bishop and joagbaje would still delude themselves to believe that tithes still applies to us no matter how much evidence you show them to prove it is not relevant.

I started this campaign about the irrelevance of tithes to christianity on NL as far back as 2006 and I have been sustaining the campaign since then. Whilst several people have written me to thank me for bringing them to the knowledge of truth on this tithing scam and have since stopped being allowing themselves to be fleeced, stubborn goats like image123, olaadegbu and pastor Joe have gone to several lengths to twist scripture to justify the scam.

The truth is that this tithing issue as really opened my eyes about so called christians and it as actually made me to have very little regard for our christian leaders who today would wilfully twist Gods word for sake of money. With the debates I have had on this forum I now know that most of them are false preachers and they have no clue what the gospel of christ is all about and they are just in it for the money, power and fame. And judging from the likes of their reps on NL like joagbaje, image123 and olaadegbu, they are not willing to accept the truth even when it stares them in the face, they would rather massacre the scriptures to justify their love for filthy lucre.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by BERNIMOORE: 10:25am On Mar 30, 2012
[b]Below are some extract from the advocates of 'priesthood order of melchizedeck' on this topic,(Wordtalk,Garyarnold and joagbaje) who derived their authority from 'unproven priesthood order' of melchizedeck,thereby some of them,apart from garyarnold used this to support their claim for the continuation of tithes,after the levitical priesthood annulment.

it will be noted that, they do not have an agreed defination,is God the Author of confussion? 1cor 14:33

their definanations are personal and selfish,borne out of 'dead technicalities'of law and philosophies,thereby their reasonings (whys or ifs) if followed, makes the whole bible itself and inspired book of God looks foolish,but then, apostle paul gave us a hint as to how to understand the scripture,outside selfish dead technicalities he said in;

1cor 1:21

For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God,it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe

lets see their contradictions below;

1# wordtalk:

There are not two separate 'priesthoods' - just one. It is called the priesthood AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. Even Christ is the High Priest of our profession, He is still bearing that priesthood after the order of Melchizedek. It does not mean two separate or different 'priesthoods'.

I've long taken a stand: I'm for Christ who is MADE a priest AFTER THE ORDER OF Melchizedek.

so wordtalk admitted to 'own a pesonally different stand'on this issue,as reflected in the last line above.while wordtalk says 'there are no two separate priesthoods'
lets compare it with Garyarnold

2# Garyarnold

“AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEC”

“after” G2596 - A primary particle; (preposition) down (in place or time)
“order” G5010 - regular arrangement, that is, (in time) fixed succession (of rank or character)

We are talking about the order; i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Two comes after one.

IF Melchizedec Was The First, After The Order Of Would Constitute The Second. Since The Levitical Priesthood Was Disannulled (Hebrews 7:1 , That Means It Is Treated As Though It Never Was. Therefore, The Priesthood Of Christ Comes After That Of Melchizedec. I Believe It Is As Simple As That.

Garyarnold disagrees with wordtalk,(both advocates of 'unproven'priesthood order of melchizedeck) he even went on to explain the extent of the separate priesthood order, that if; Melchizedec Was The First, After The Order Of Would Constitute The Second.

to compound the whole issue, br joeagbaje came with what i can term as 'very rude' approach to the scripture,further confirm what paul termed as how the so called 'worlds wisdom did not know God' but it pleased God 'through the foolishness of the message'(foolishness to the worlds wisdom) preached to save those who believe,if not can anybody just help me to explain the meaning of 'intrusion' below(bolded letters);

3# joagbaje

Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Joagbaje(m): 17 days & 9 hours

Will you nullify the word of God. Before the law there was Melchizedek order. When the law came ,there was levitical order for a period. Many high priest functioned under the order of levitical priest hood. Now that it has ended we are back to Melchizedek order In which Jesus function. that means the Order never ended. It has always been . The levitical was only an intrusion. This is the real order.

its not personal, but if we choose to drop our pride,and accept what the bible teaches outside 'dead technicalities'according to according to christ,but not according to 'philosophies of men, only then we can appreciate the teachings of the bible.
cheers.[/b]
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by amor4ce(m): 5:13am On Apr 03, 2012
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 6:00am On Apr 03, 2012
amor4ce: http://www.abrahamic-faith.com/Simon/pdfs/Tithing.pdf

Totally falsehood. I am still compiling a most comprehensive teaching on tithing. Wait till I finish. As for the article in the above link, it's all falsehoods.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 4:02pm On Apr 03, 2012
I stopped tithing after reading posts in here. I pray to God I'm on the right path.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by Goshen360(m): 6:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
FXKing2012: I stopped tithing after reading posts in here. I pray to God I'm on the right path.

Yes you are on the right path BUT Giving is required of you according to how God blessed you, cheerfully, when needed and when led by the Spirit of God.
Re: Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? by FXKing2012(m): 1:24pm On Apr 11, 2012
goshen360:

Yes you are on the right path BUT Giving is required of you according to how God blessed you, cheerfully, when needed and when led by the Spirit of God.

Thanks goshen360.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses: the only true religion? / Man Invites Reno Omokri To Join Islam. He Reacts / Happie Boys To OPM Pastor: You Can't Use Our Stars To Rıde Prıvate Jet...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.