Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,863 members, 7,872,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:46 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (14060) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8894174 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14057) (14058) (14059) (14060) (14061) (14062) (14063) ... (14225) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by CrystalTiger(m): 5:53pm On Mar 10
I don't love stats in football but this shots conceding has never gone away and it's insane really..

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:01pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

Is there a difference between the way United played last season and this season?
Not much difference. I remember I started complaining about the way we played from last season, not just this season. We struggled a lot and only came into life when Rashford picked form after the world cup. The goals covered the nonsense we were playing, but some of us knew there was some disaster around the corner. If we manage to pick up more 3 points with our nonsense football this season, many won't complain, but I already know that's not sustainable as its a system strongly reliant on a player or two picking form while the team continue to play rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:04pm On Mar 10
larride:

Bros you get eyes and I believe you dey watch our games and not checking scores under the famous canopy.

Are we playing the same thing we played last season? If your answer is yes, no point continuing this conversation.

There’s no need to get angry.

This is what I’ve observed over the last 18 months or so.

United is not really a possession based team. We dwell on moments to quickly transition and aggressively attack the opponent. That’s what we did last season, we just turned the knob up this season.

The only problem today is that the quality has been so poor that our game outside those transitioning moments is shiit. Even when we transition well (or the few moments we win the ball from aggressive pressing) and create chances, we often squander it due to terrible decision making from our forwards.

The moment we had a bit of possession last season (probably the time you thought we were exciting) was when our game out of those transition moments were fair. We had better possession and controlled the game better. And a couple of players were relied on heavily to make that happen (Shaw, Eriksen, Martinez, Varane).

It’s normal to react angrily because things have gone horribly wrong. But the truth is we’ve always played the same way- relying on moments.

The difference is we’re not scoring goals, we’re conceding too many shots, and it’s horrible to watch.

When we get injured players back, we’re still going to rely on moments. Only that we might be more disciplined and less terrible defensively.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:08pm On Mar 10
eph12:

Not much difference. I remember I started complaining about the way we played from last season, not just this season. We struggled a lot and only came into life when Rashford picked form after the world cup. The goals covered the nonsense we were playing, but some of us knew there was some disaster around the corner. If we manage to pick up more 3 points with our nonsense football this season, many won't complain, but I already know that's not sustainable as its a system strongly reliant on a player or two picking form while the team continue to play rubbish.

We’ve always rely on moments to attack. We’re very transitional. Everything outside those moments depends on the whims of the players.

ETH’s job is to improve our football outside those moments irrespective of who is on the pitch. And he’s really struggling at that.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:12pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

We’ve always rely on moments to attack. We’re very transitional. Everything outside those moments depends on the whims of the players.

ETH’s job is to improve our football outside those moments irrespective of who is on the pitch. And he’s really struggling at that.
You're spot on. When ETH came in, I expected him to take 1-2 years to correct the mentality first and train the players the basics. He has done neither, and now the team has gone worse.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 6:17pm On Mar 10
I can't remember the last time city were outplayed like this...

De Bruyne coming off sums it all...

Pep looks dumbfounded and clueless

8 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:18pm On Mar 10
larride:
As if no be the same manager use him own mouth talk say hes not playing the same style we played at Ajax ar United. grin

That’s because our squad has very different abilities compared to his Ajax squad.

Mainoo is our only midfielder who can revive the ball under pressure, control it well, and make the appropriate pass. And he’s just an 18 y/o rookie.

Casemiro, Amrabat, McTomminay are terrible in that aspect. So how can we control games?

Make no mistake, I’m not 100% sure ETH is good enough for Man Utd because his setup has been really poor and his decision making is questionable . I just find it perplexing that a coach who has played possessive attacking football for several years suddenly seem like he can’t anymore.

5 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:20pm On Mar 10
AdisaOwala:
I can't remember the last time city were outplayed like this...

De Bruyne coming off sums it all...

Pep looks dumbfounded and clueless
Looks like City have control back
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:21pm On Mar 10
eph12:

You're spot on. When ETH came in, I expected him to take 1-2 years to correct the mentality first and train the players the basics. He has done neither, and now the team has gone worse.

That’s totally on him.

He sacrificed his methods for results in his first year. That’s why he’s really struggling now.

Would’ve been better to instill his style in that first year and set the basics- even if he doesn’t make top 4. The growth would’ve been noticeable by now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 6:23pm On Mar 10
eph12:

Looks like City have control back

Yeah - there seems to be a little improvement from their end..

Regardless of the result, I think Klopp has shown again that he is one of the best tacticians in world football today..

Las Las, no team is invincible jare
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 6:26pm On Mar 10
See Luis diaz running like a possessed demon

Lol
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jokerman(m): 6:26pm On Mar 10
Antony go for move like Diaz so 😬
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:27pm On Mar 10
Show me your number ! grin
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:27pm On Mar 10
Diaz got Walker turning like a barber’s chair.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jokerman(m): 6:28pm On Mar 10
See how Liverpool dey play City.... Oga o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by nitrogen(m): 6:28pm On Mar 10
Walker don suffer today sha. Very few wingers can do Walker strong thing.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 6:32pm On Mar 10
eph12:

See wetin Liverpool dey play city, compared to the nonsense we watched our guys play vs lowly everton at OT yesterday....

ETH has to go mehn
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by larride(m): 6:53pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

There’s no need to get angry.

This is what I’ve observed over the last 18 months or so.

United is not really a possession based team. We dwell on moments to quickly transition and aggressively attack the opponent. That’s what we did last season, we just turned the knob up this season.

The only problem today is that the quality has been so poor that our game outside those transitioning moments is shiit. Even when we transition well (or the few moments we win the ball from aggressive pressing) and create chances, we often squander it due to terrible decision making from our forwards.

The moment we had a bit of possession last season (probably the time you thought we were exciting) was when our game out of those transition moments were fair. We had better possession and controlled the game better. And a couple of players were relied on heavily to make that happen (Shaw, Eriksen, Martinez, Varane).

It’s normal to react angrily because things have gone horribly wrong. But the truth is we’ve always played the same way- relying on moments.

The difference is we’re not scoring goals, we’re conceding too many shots, and it’s horrible to watch.

When we get injured players back, we’re still going to rely on moments. Only that we might be more disciplined and less terrible defensively.

Our play thus season had gone worse.

The koko of the matter is that this team is shit and ETH will not die well.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:54pm On Mar 10
nitrogen:

Walahi. Only Sterling and Diaz have troubled him this season so far. He constantly bullies Rashford and other wingers.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 6:56pm On Mar 10
larride:

Our play thus season had gone worse.

The koko of the matter is that this team is shit and ETH will not die well.

LMAO grin

ETH o, Rashford o, Bruno o. All of them are not well.

If Sir Jim likes himself he better sack all of them together. Plus medical and player recruitment department.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by larride(m): 6:57pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

That’s because our squad has very different abilities compared to his Ajax squad.

Mainoo is our only midfielder who can revive the ball under pressure, control it well, and make the appropriate pass. And he’s just an 18 y/o rookie.

Casemiro, Amrabat, McTomminay are terrible in that aspect. So how can we control games?

Make no mistake, I’m not 100% sure ETH is good enough for Man Utd because his setup has been really poor and his decision making is questionable . I just find it perplexing that a coach who has played possessive attacking football for several years suddenly seem like he can’t anymore.

I guess ETH is blind or mad that he doesn't know the kind of players he wants to play the style you say he wants to play.

ETH had supervised 4 transfer windows, why didnt he get the players he wanted to play his style of play? Abi na me go help ham buy Mount for midfield?

Out of the Casmeiro, Amrabat and McTom that you mentioned, ETH got 2 out of those 3. Did he forget the kind of players he want?

ETH has used his own mouth to say he's not planning to play the same way he did in Ajax at United and I will rather believe him over you looking for excuses for him.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by larride(m): 6:59pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

LMAO grin

ETH o, Rashford o, Bruno o. All of them are not well.

If Sir Jim likes himself he better sack all of them together. Plus medical and player recruitment department.

Throw all of them away into the trash bin.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by eph12(m): 6:59pm On Mar 10
AdisaOwala:

See wetin Liverpool dey play city, compared to the nonsense we watched our guys play vs lowly everton at OT yesterday....

ETH has to go mehn
You watch Manchester united every week and there is hardly anything you can be proud about. Even when we win, we're exhausted from the rubbish we were fed. At the end of ETH time here, we would have wasted 2-3 years
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Unlimited22: 7:00pm On Mar 10
nitrogen:
Funny enough one of them is Raheem Sterling

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 7:10pm On Mar 10
larride:

I guess ETH is blind or mad that he doesn't know the kind of players he wants to play the style you say he wants to play.

ETH had supervised 4 transfer windows, why didnt he get the players he wanted to play his style of play? Abi na me go help ham buy Mount for midfield?

Out of the Casmeiro, Amrabat and McTom that you mentioned, ETH got 2 out of those 3. Did he forget the kind of players he want?

He actually might be both blind and mad.

Man thought he was a scouting agent and brought in players who don’t have the attributes to play to his tune. Antony. Mount. Amrabat. All those terrible transfers are majorly on him.

My mind still boggles at those decisions.

ETH has used his own mouth to say he's not planning to play the same way he did in Ajax at United and I will rather believe him over you looking for excuses for him.

Don’t twist the facts. He said he can’t play the way he played at Ajax because of the difference in the abilities of both squads.

I’m not making excuses for him, I’m just explaining what I’m seeing. I think he’s a good coach - if he gets good players there’s a good chance that he’ll perform. But at the same time he believes in his own hype and isn’t as good as he thinks he is. He might be a good worker or employee but he’s a terrible manager / business owner.

His Man Utd days are numbered already. Should he insist on retaining significant control over player transfer and squad management he must be fired on the spot. There’s only so much one can take.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by AdisaOwala: 7:11pm On Mar 10
Retrospectively, I think Fergie should also carry a substantial part of the blame for our woes...

That decision to appoint Moyes set us back significantly.

Na coaches like Klopp or Pep suppose dey replace Sir Alex.

Could we have been a bit more patient or probably handled it a bit differently that time?

It's painful sha

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Jokerman(m): 7:42pm On Mar 10
larride:

😂
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by ChristineC: 7:42pm On Mar 10
Ten Hag can be helped with recruitment. he's clearly not a competent judge on player attributes or quality. the insistence on signing Mount to shore up CM position was where it was underlined for me.
he has some basis because he oversaw quality style of play just before joining United, so a "competent board" will look at the data, then draft a review of his contract terms. get in someone with a track record of recruiting right behind the scenes and we'll see if there's improvement on the pitch.

3 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by adebayo201: 8:27pm On Mar 10
He's still a terrorist sha no matter what.

2 Likes

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MRTA7: 9:20pm On Mar 10
Leyqute:

How did this same Liverpool fare last season when VVD got injured with Salah and co?

How did Man City fare this season when Rodri and KDB got injured?

I know that ETH is misbehaving but these outlandish comparisons doesn’t make much sense. Allow the idiôt have his regular players and let him fokop then. A thief will always escape if you hold him by the elbows instead of the forearm.

Let's not act like Liverpool don't have nearly half the first team injured right now and still took the game to City.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 9:51pm On Mar 10
MRTA7:

Let's not act like Liverpool don't have nearly half the first team injured right now and still took the game to City.

Of the current starters, United can also afford to have Rashford, Antony, Varane and McTomminay injured and we won’t suffer a massive drop in quality as long as Shaw, Dalot, Martinez, Casemiro and Bruno are fit and available.

It’s a weak argument and relies heavily on context. Let everybody have their full team and see how they perform. No hiding behind injuries.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc2: 12:14am On Mar 11
ChristineC:
Ten Hag can be helped with recruitment. he's clearly not a competent judge on player attributes or quality. the insistence on signing Mount to shore up CM position was where it was underlined for me.
he has some basis because he oversaw quality style of play just before joining United, so a "competent board" will look at the data, then draft a review of his contract terms. get in someone with a track record of recruiting right behind the scenes and we'll see if there's improvement on the pitch.

Wetin don loss don loss. He should have asked for help with recruitment when he joined the club.

It is too late for that now. He should go and ask for recruitment help in his next job.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14057) (14058) (14059) (14060) (14061) (14062) (14063) ... (14225) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.