Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,131 members, 7,880,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 08:42 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (587) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8915884 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) ... (14229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 11:02am On Nov 25, 2013
Fact is, the buck stops with the manager. It is his responsibility to get the best out of his squad. Moyes isnt even close to doing that right now.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 11:05am On Nov 25, 2013
Donetsk 0 United 1
United 1 Saints 0
Cardiff 1 United 2
Giggs came on at all 3 of those situations, is it a
coincidence that all 3 ended as draws?

saw this online. any truth to it or pure coincidence?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 11:13am On Nov 25, 2013
montelik: Donetsk 0 United 1
United 1 Saints 0
Cardiff 1 United 2

Dat's wat I was telling Ruddie but he was instead hailing his splitting pass He comes in with his bad luck. Anytime he comes in, we struggle.
But he would ask if d goal was a direct cause from him. It is his fault directly or indirectly.

He should stay away from d squad cos he's bad luck!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 11:19am On Nov 25, 2013
United 1 Saints 0
Cardiff 1 United 2

U didnt add d Real Sociedad game where he started n our strikers couldnt score clear cut chances including a pen. undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:37am On Nov 25, 2013
I didn't want Giggs yesterday. Cardiff were very fast and they knew how to shield the ball from losing possession.

Fellaini was marking players from the wrong side. He is not making his size count. Although he started well.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by n0m0705(m): 11:58am On Nov 25, 2013
Has anyone noticed that we are now conceeding late equaliser, exactly what we used to do to teams under fergie, I cannot remember how many times we conceeded such under fergie. Moyes has got to be the worst thing to happen to man utd, he is just tactically deficient, it is not coincidence that everton started playing one of the best football in the league after his exit. He is just the kick and run type of coach, we couldn't even string together more than 3 passes. #moyesout
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 12:00pm On Nov 25, 2013
ando needs to play in Germany. Cleverley has been poor for a while now (except the Fulham game), injury excuse or not and Fellaini is a long way off. Jones is not a solution despite what some may feel. give ando a chance to play himself into form and let tom c and Fellaini get themselves together.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Not exonerating David Moyes here.
Why does he need to protect a 1 goal advantage against a newly-promoted side? Can't he fashion something to anihilate a side like Cardiff City before taking the pedal off the gas? Has it gotten so bad that we cannot even guarantee wins agains basement sides?
And what do they do on training grounds? How can a short dude like Kim be scoring against us from a set-piece? Do they even practice this stuff or do they play set?

Anyway I've long given up on Gollum.
Anybody is entitled to their opinion but this coaching staff simply doesn't cut it. At least not with me anyway.

As for rooney, enough said.

I'm expecting a rough ride in Leverkusen and in qualifying in general. Not sure we can get the win we need given the state of things.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Pataki:

Rooney should have been sent off earlier. But you are very right, that was a poor poor pass from Rooney to Welbeck. He had more than enough space to shoot that ball that Giggs perfectly set up for him.
The star man in our squad and highest earner cannot be bothered to make the correct decision in a critical period to give us the win.
The star man in our squad cannot bail us out when we need him

Wait, all you Rooney worshipers, what is it with you people sef? So if the game is on the line, Wayne Rooney cannot seal 3 points for us, as seen yesterday?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 12:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
They say we're in a transition so we should give him time but I must say I see no new style of play except d 1 goal up defensive one.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
United 1 Saints 0
Cardiff 1 United 2

Hardly coincidence.
But Moyes is presently all over Giggs' d/ick, so don't expect an improvement.
montelik:
the buck stops with him.
Finito.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
chrisley024: They say we're in a transition so we should give him time but I must say I see no new style of play except d 1 goal up defensive one.
Transition?
This is more like degradation.
Under the space of 6 months this is easily United's worst ever side in the Premier League era.
In transition, you can identify one or two areas of likely positive outcome.
Let the apostles of transition tell us where we are making progress from the Fergie era.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
United 1 Saints 0
Cardiff 1 United 2

this is very unfair! Wot abt d games against soceidad and liverpool at OT? Giggs was one of our better players in those matches! Assuming rooney wasnt an 1diot yestdy, giggs wlda provided d match winning assist! Though i Agree he is clearly past his time, his overall performance in d games in wich he played has been faaaar better than that of a good number of our players who are playing regularly!

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by topnotchedguy: 1:05pm On Nov 25, 2013
itz not even d results that annoys me.
Itz d shiiid football we play.

One can only hope moyes and that woodward guy make good use of this coming winter window.

Anything other than that and we will be lucky to make the europa league
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by codedguy1(m): 1:28pm On Nov 25, 2013
With the way Moyes goes about his subs if we had Messi on the right and CR onthe left, Moyes will still conspire to introduce Giggs nd evry effort would go south.

We are playing like a team in the lower half of the championship.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
coded guy: With the way Moyes goes about his subs if we had Messi on the right and CR onthe left, Moyes will still conspire to introduce Giggs nd evry effort would go south.

We are playing like a team in the lower half of the championship.

Messi and CRonaldo would be on the bench under Moyes.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 1:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
^^ messi maybe, but not ronaldo. moyes prefers strong physical players.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
dademola: this is very unfair! Wot abt d games against soceidad and liverpool at OT? Giggs was one of our better players in those matches! Assuming rooney wasnt an 1diot yestdy, giggs wlda provided d match winning assist! Though i Agree he is clearly past his time, his overall performance in d games in wich he played has been faaaar better than that of a good number of our players who are playing regularly!

this is my problem with arguments like this.

does one good pass compensate for pot passing accuracy, inability to close down, lack of energy, lack of drive & increase in the pressure the opponents mount on our defence?

basically - i am a good player as long as i provide one or two assists & regardless of how many times i have given the ball away, put my defence into pressure, lacking the energy to track back, etc.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
coogar:

does one good pass compensate for pot passing accuracy, inability to close down, lack of energy, lack of drive & increase in the pressure the opponents mount on our defence?

basically - i am a good player as long as i provide one or two assists & regardless of how many times i have given the ball away, put my defence into pressure, lacking the energy to track back, etc.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
coogar:

like ruddie rightly pointed out; assuming twas kagawa that made d pass, u'd hav uploaded gifs frm different angles! I still reiterate; giggs produced a moment of genius wif that pass, and it was worthy of a goal!!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:16pm On Nov 25, 2013
dademola: like ruddie rightly pointed out; assuming twas kagawa that made d pass, u'd hav uploaded gifs frm different angles! I still reiterate; giggs produced a moment of genius wif that pass, and it was worthy of a goal!!

because kagawa would have passed the ball more accurately during the course of the match. kagawa would have contributed more than giggs. he would have pressed the ball more & he has a bigger fear factor for the opponents than giggs can ever be.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:42pm On Nov 25, 2013
This writer corroborates my impression on Ferdinand and Vidic lack of pace affecting our overall play.

Nov 25, 2013 9:30:00 AM

David Moyes should promote his youthful centre-backs

By Wayne Veysey

TIME TO GIVE MORE CENTRAL ROLES TO SMALLING, EVANS & JONES

Lost amid the tornado of news headlines provoked by Sir Alex Ferguson’s recently-published autobiography were some tactical nuggets about past and present Manchester United players.

It is especially timely to recall Ferguson’s insights about veteran centre-back pair Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic as they adapt their games to cope with advancing years and diminishing legs.

Assessing the impact of Pep Guardiola’s all-conquering Barcelona, the former United manager wrote: “To beat Barcelona in that cycle you needed centre-backs who could be really positive. Rio and Vidic were at an age where their preference was to defend the space. Nothing wrong with that. Quite correct. But, against Barcelona, it’s a limited approach.

“You need centre-backs who are prepared to drop right on top of [Lionel] Messi and not worry about what is happening behind them. Ok, he’ll drift away to the side. That’s fine. He’s less of a threat on the side than he is through the centre.”

Reflecting on Barcelona’s comprehensive 3-1 win over United in the 2011 Champions League final at Wembley, Sir Alex added: “After the inquest I told myself: ‘When we play Barcelona next time in a Champions League final, I would have Jones and Smalling, or Smalling and Evans, right on top of Messi.’ I wasn’t going to let him torture us again.”

Two-and-a-half years later, and Vidic and Ferdinand remain the first-choice centre-backs at Old Trafford. However, the years are catching up with the titans of the team that reached three Champions League finals out of four from 2008-2011 and won five Premier League titles in seven years.

Vidic did not travel with the United team that drew 2-2 at Cardiff City on Sunday after suffering concussion midway through the 1-0 victory over Arsenal a fortnight earlier, the latest in a seemingly never-ending list of ailments for the Serbian warrior.

Ferdinand, paired with Jonny Evans in his first league start for two months, looked every day of his 35 years as he struggled to cope with the acceleration of former United attacker Fraizer Campbell, a striker he would have eaten for breakfast at his peak.

Perhaps more worryingly for David Moyes was that Ferdinand looked dead on his feet by the time substitute Kim Bo-Kyung darted in front of him to score the added-time header that sealed Cardiff a share of the points.

Moyes has shown this season that, like Ferguson he puts greater store in Ferdinand and Vidic’s experience and than their susceptibility to injury and forwards with extreme pace.

However, it is questionable whether the new manager’s enthusiasm is shared by the midfielders tasked with screening the increasingly vulnerable pair.

With Ferdinand and Vidic dropping deep to avoid being burned by quick forwards, the likes of Michael Carrick, Marouane Fellaini, Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones are obliged to play 10 or 20 yards deeper than they would if the goal was protected by a more mobile centre-back pair. In turn, this limits their capacity to dominate possession further up the field.

Few major teams rotate their centre-backs as frequently as United, who have five centre-backs who would walk into most Premier League sides.

Vidic, who turned 32 last month, and Ferdinand, 35, are both out of contract next summer. The likelihood is that the Serbian will be offered an extension to his deal, although Ferdinand's extra years could count against him.

There is a strong argument for Moyes building his defence around early-twenty-somethings Smalling, Jones and Evans, who all have their best years ahead of them. Vidic still has much to offer as a battle-hardened leader but it is time for him to take on more of a squad role.

Unquestionably, Jones, currently out with a groin injury, is a formidable athlete and the usefulness of his versatility over the course of a season should not be underestimated. He is also beginning to answer doubts, both inside and outside the club, as to whether he possesses the positional nous to develop into an A-list centre-back.

Smalling, an international centre-back in midweek but a club right-back five days later, looks especially in need of a run of games at the heart of the defence, which particularly benefitted Evans two seasons ago.

Moyes has the personnel. He just needs to demote the old guard and offer their successors his complete trust.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2013/11/25/4430964/manchester-united-can-no-longer-rely-on-old-warriors?ICID=HP_FT_2
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 2:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
Fellaini who was a god in Everon even this season, is suddenly a bad midfielder. We can say the same for Kagawa. We also have Valencia who plays well for Ecuador but struggle in Man Untied.

Now, how can Kagawa, Valencia, Nani, Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson, etc be all poor at same time? Time to look outside the box. Part of it could be that we have not have stable quality defence. The experienced defenders lack pace. The pacing defenders lack experience. Except we give the young guys run of games, we can't get a solid CB pairing. We only have to look at Ivanovic/Cahin/Terry/Luis or Kompany/Lescott + Zabeleta on their side to see how weak our defence is.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
top notched guy: itz not even d results that annoys me.
Itz d shiiid football we play.

One can only hope moyes and that woodward guy make good use of this coming winter window.

Anything other than that and we will be lucky to make the europa league
More of d shi.t fb we play. Even newly promoted teams boss our midfield.
OMG! My club is becoming a joke!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
chrisley024:
More of d shi.t fb we play. Even newly promoted teams boss our midfield.
OMG! My club is becoming a joke!
It became a joke when we hired a mickey mouse puppet of a manager with no track record.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
elampiro: Fellaini who was a god in Everon even this season, is suddenly a bad midfielder. We can say the same for Kagawa. We also have Valencia who plays well for Ecuador but struggle in Man Untied.

Now, how can Kagawa, Valencia, Nani, Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson, etc be all poor at same time? Time to look outside the box. Part of it could be that we have not have stable quality defence. The experienced defenders lack pace. The pacing defenders lack experience. Except we give the young guys run of games, we can't get a solid CB pairing. We only have to look at Ivanovic/Cahin/Terry/Luis or Kompany/Lescott + Zabeleta on their side to see how weak our defence is.

How about our forward play?
any positive going forward?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 3:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
elampiro: Fellaini who was a god in Everon even this season, is suddenly a bad midfielder. We can say the same for Kagawa. We also have Valencia who plays well for Ecuador but struggle in Man Untied.

Fellaini looked good for Everton cos he wasn't really playing as a midfielder. pace at the back can explain why a number of teams and different players have made also look punch drunk. but can not explain how bad we look in the final third.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
StarBoard:

forward play with rooney deciding to pass when scoring was the easier & logical option?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
StarBoard:

Our strikers are scoring despite spending huge amount of time dropping deep to help the defence and midfield. How many times do we see Suarez, Aguero, etc, dropping to 18 box to defend an attacking build up from open play? Yesterday alone I saw Rooney and Valencia in our box trying to defend nornal.

Two goals were enough to win, we conceded too cheaply, or we are conceding too many goals.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
this rooney is an idïot....
he went on twitter to start talking shyte about martin tyler & graeme souness. the FA can actually charge him for that now & suspend him. why is this fatfück out of control?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1433179_image_jpg0d5b1c4c7f720f698946c7f6ab08f687

calling souness sourness? hmmmm.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 3:44pm On Nov 25, 2013

People who watch football and dont depend on pool results know Failainni was playing as a second striker most of the time in Everton and the truth is Failaini is a liability when it comes to defensive midfield

Buying that indisciplined liability in United and expecting him to start playing like a real midfielder is like asking Yekini to play like Oliseh. Do you think its a coincidence that top clubs were always overlooking Failaini while in Everton? Thats the similar reason why Juventus had to drop Oliseh for Tacchinardi because Sunday was always interested in glory hunting shots upfront and exposing the defence to counters when he is away.

Thats why midfielders like Busquets, Martinez, Carrick who stay back and do the little breaking of play are always hailed by eagle eyed analyst but Pool sheet analyst like you would say they are not doing anything since they dont score like Failaini

Kagawa has barely been given playing time this season while Failaini has played a lot

Was this not the same defence that won the title last season

Did any team in the whole EPL top 4 change defence from last season? How come the defence wasnt the problem last season but suddenly became a problem this season under that mid table manager and the caricature of Sideshow bob?

Why was Failaini never a choice under Ferguson, and even this season it was until every Saliu, Chike and Supo turned you down before you went to buy overpriced Failaini to save face
Try play any top team and put Failaini in midfield.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
elampiro:

Our strikers are scoring despite spending huge amount of time dropping deep to help the defence and midfield. How many times do we see Suarez, Aguero, etc, dropping to 18 box to defend an attacking build up from open play? Yesterday alone I saw Rooney and Valencia in our box trying to defend nornal.

Two goals were enough to win, we conceded too cheaply, or we are conceding too many goals.

You are conceeding many goals because you are giving away too many chances to the opponents to run at your defence.

Watch the West Brom game and see how many chances the Baggies had that day? Thats insane

Prior to this season any team that has 5 shots vs Man Utd would go for thankgiving the norm usually is that teams get 2-3 chances and score from it

nowadays lowly opponents are getting 10 shots at goal

yesterday Cardiff had 15 shots and 5 on target, West Brom had an incredible 12 shots in Old trafford

(1) (2) (3) ... (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) ... (14229) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.