Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,125 members, 7,977,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 11:52 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2244) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4680799 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2241) (2242) (2243) (2244) (2245) (2246) (2247) ... (2268) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 7:12pm On Jun 20
freeman67:

First of all, I am not the author of the attached schedule. It's the DMO who is incharge and that's the actual payment date.

Secondly, that some people chose not to do their work when and how they should do it doesn't not make it correct.

Thirdly, saying the payment is usually between 20-23 is not correct because apart from the first coupon which I didnt collect early because there was a mistake on my account and it did not deliver, this is the the only one I am getting this late. At most, I have get it on the 19th of Dec. Yet, that does not negate the fact that the official payment date is 16th June or Dec except that date false on weekend or public holiday. I just don't want to litter here with proofs. If not I would posted all the alert from June 2021 till date for you to see that you are not correct or that your bank takes time to credit you. Your usual delays for upto 20-23 is not from CSCS.

Well u may be right sha, no wahala

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by teejay5(f): 10:05pm On Jun 20
Pls wen Is d the next treasurybill bidding coming up?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ZEAK: 10:56pm On Jun 20
@awesomej, could you please explain more on FCY debt instruments and how it works. Again, you made mention of investing in precious metals, I"d be grateful if you can throw more light on it too.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 11:13pm On Jun 20
teejay5:
Pls wen Is d the next treasurybill bidding coming up?
Next week Wednesday
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 11:52pm On Jun 20
ZEAK:
@awesomej, could you please explain more on FCY debt instruments and how it works. Again, you made mention of investing in precious metals, I"d be grateful if you can throw more light on it too.

Basically FGN and corporate euro bonds are good foreign currency assets to hold. However, their primary markets are scarce(they don't happen too frequently), then their secondary market has steep entry amount ($200,000 as of my last knowledge. Maybe $100,000 these days)

So one way around it is to buy dollar mutual funds (some take as little as $1000)

I'm also aware some folks use apps like Risevest and Bamboo to buy FCY stocks, but personally I don't hold accounts with fintechs.

For precious metals, Gold is quite easy to buy I think. As long as you buy from the right vendors who sell the real deal.

One gram of gold was doing around 20k 4 years ago, today, it's around 100k. Some people are probably eyeing to sell their wedding rings sef 😁😁

But not all foreign currencies are worthwhile o. Don't go and buy Zig or CFA o, that's not why we came to Lagos 😁😁, that's not why we followed night bus.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 5:01am On Jun 21
awesomeJ:

One gram of gold was doing around 20k 4 years ago, today, it's around 100k. Some people are probably eyeing to sell their wedding rings sef 😁😁

But not all foreign currencies are worthwhile o. Don't go and buy Zig or CFA o, that's not why we came to Lagos 😁😁, that's not why we followed night bus.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ZEAK: 8:08am On Jun 21
Thanks for your swift response on the FCY debt instruments.

Again, Do you know any Federal Government accredited Precious Metal Vendors or Corporate Institutions that sells real precious metals?
[quote author=awesomeJ post=130581400]

For precious metals, Gold is quite easy to buy I think. As long as you buy from the right vendors who sell the real deal.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:08am On Jun 21
Good morning good people, please let the masters help ascertain the strength of fidelity bank.

How advisable for one to grab their shares?

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:11am On Jun 21
ZEAK:
Thanks for your swift response on the FCY debt instruments.

Again, Do you know any Federal Government accredited Precious Metal Vendors or Corporate Institutions that sells real precious metals?

I do not.

If there are people in the house who know and probably have good experience buying gold jeweleries or gold bars, please comment for us to learn from you. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:18am On Jun 21
FGN2038
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Wotowotoman: 9:20am On Jun 21
RayRay06677:
Good morning good people, please let the masters help ascertain the strength of fidelity bank.

Thanks

After all these years, no be you suppose to dey advise newbies on how to go about these things? Oga, na wa for you o…
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:41am On Jun 21
RayRay06677:

Thanks

It depends on why you want to buy.
The bank's books look healthy:
PE is just about 2.5x (Q1 '24 annualized, avg price of N10)
gross earnings and net earnings are both up about + 100% yoy
PBV is 0.69x
Total assets are nearly $5bn,
shareholder's funds at about N467bn,
I do not have the NPL figures but I expect it's under 7%

However, I should add that while these numbers are cool, there are banks with even cooler numbers. some with PEs as low as 0.3x, and PBV of like 0.25x.

The risk of license revocation is almost non existent for FIDELITYBK as the bank isn't in distress., maybe highest, they may sack the bank's management if anything(like MD and CBN director are dragging land grin grin).

When Skye Bank went under, the terrifying numbers had been showing in their books for years prior.
Heritage Bank isn't publicly traded, so their books weren't as open, But anyone who know the history from OmegaBank to SpringBank to Enterprise Bank to Heritage Bank should have said "That's not why I came to Lagos grin grin"
There's still another bank that has been operating without any money of their own (negative shareholder's funds- they are deep in debt) for years now, the mystery of why that banks keeps surviving regulatory hammer is only understood by nigerian poiliticians.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:43am On Jun 21
Wotowotoman:

After all these years, no be you suppose to dey advise newbies on how to go about these things? Oga, na wa for you o…

It never hurts to seek second or third opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:43am On Jun 21
Wotowotoman:

This my friend sef, I have said it many times that the only shares I have is MTN, I dont do shares, reason being i dont indulge in things I dont understand except I am outrightly gambling which I dont wish to do with shares.

So you can help if you even know anything about shares.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Wotowotoman: 9:45am On Jun 21
RayRay06677:

This my friend sef, I have said it many times that the only shares I have is MTN, I dont do shares, reason being i dont indulge in things I dont understand except I am outrightly gambling which I dont wish to do with shares.

So you can help if you even know anything about shares.

Okay. No vex.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 9:46am On Jun 21
awesomeJ:

PBV is 0.69x

However, I should add that while these numbers are cool, there are banks with even cooler numbers. some with PEs as low as 0.3x, and PBV of like 0.25x.

The risk of license revocation is almost non existent for FIDELITYBK as the bank isn't in distress., maybe highest, they may sack the bank's management if anything(like MD and CBN director are dragging land grin grin).

When Skye Bank went under, the terrifying numbers had been showing in their books for years prior.
Heritage Bank isn't publicly traded, so their books weren't as open, But anyone who know the history from OmegaBank to SpringBank to Enterprise Bank to Heritage Bank should have said "That's not why I came to Lagos grin grin"
There's still another bank that has been operating without any money of their own (negative shareholder's funds- they are deep in debt) for years now, the mystery of why that banks keeps surviving regulatory hammer is only understood by nigerian poiliticians.

Thanks bro but I ended up confused. Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by omakay(m): 9:54am On Jun 21
Abeg, help me with time deposit rates for GTBank. Preferably 1 month.... Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:28am On Jun 21
RayRay06677:

Thanks bro but I ended up confused. Thanks again.

grin grin grin

Okay Think of this like this:

Assuming you know a business, The total assets that business has is like N32 million (total money they're using for the business), The owner's actual money after removing what he owes to vendors and creditor is like N3million.
The business makes like N 250,000 gross earnings per month.

If the owner wants to sell that business to you and Japa. You will get everything in the business, the entire N32m capital, the N3m equity and the 250k monthly earnings. How much would you think is a fair deal to pay the owner?

How about N5m? or at least N3m?

On the stock market, you can buy everything for N700,000.

That's what the current pricing of some Nigerian banks are. In the case of Fidelity sha, the pricing for thesame assets is like N2m.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:44am On Jun 21
omakay:

My GUESS is 15% which is effectively 13.5% after tax?

Why not put the money in an MMF. You can get higher rates, and you can liquidate anytime. You may need the money before the 30 days if say an opportuinity shows up, or you may not need it yet after the 30 days, and wish to hold the investment a little longer.

MMF makes it super easy to determine the exact time you want to liquidate, and you'll certainly get a higher rate.

If you still really prefer the time deposit, you may need to contact your account officer as the rates offered vary from branch to branch sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Emzedz: 11:47am On Jun 21
Good morning great investors.. When is the next auction date for Tbills.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by RayRay06677(m): 7:33pm On Jun 21
RayRay06677:
FGN2038

Any information on this expectation?

I wasn't lucky, what's the modus. Was due for today but no payment. Is it possible for weekend?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 8:28pm On Jun 21
Streetinvestor2:
The banks are not sending some individual bids through them so that you can buy secondary market from them.And I have told them I will not buy any secondary market. The difference between the primary offer and secondary offer by bank is big income to the banks.
If you don't get me primary market. I move my cash to another bank or into something else.I can't be your mugu

Honestly this may not be far from the truth.

When I tried enquiring why they werent successful, was told they intend to process individual bids of only 50m and above.

Of course I know that's not true: I've heard that many times in the past, depending on the branch one visits. But eventually I still get my offer processed at the primary mkt, (i.e less than 50m they were calling).

Apparently they are stylishly trying to discourage it. angry

Nonetheless I couldn't wait for next week, so I eventually took their sec mkt; 19% for 365 days>

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 8:30pm On Jun 21
Emzedz:
Good morning great investors.. When is the next auction date for Tbills.

Next week
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 8:32pm On Jun 21
awesomeJ:

PBV is 0.69x

Hmm. Interestingly GTB has sent me offer to invest in thier shares. I still dey look am with one corner eye sha. Stocks not really my thing
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by heavenisreal18: 6:49am On Jun 22
Pls I need to be enlighten I went to the bank to invest in T-bills ,since last week Wednesday ,I have not been debited. ,I don't understand why is taking long, how do I get it done quickly?
Thanks.
Pls response
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by akpumpy: 8:58am On Jun 22
awesomeJ:

The risk certainly exists, but it's not a risk of whether they will pay the 10m you invest for instance, they certainly will, they don't need to look for money to pay, they don't even need to expend any ink or paper to print physical notes, the computer program that will credit you is running already. It's just waiting for Date.Now() to equal your maturity date, then it updates your balance in the database while the CBN people might have even forgotten they borrowed any money.

The risk now is whether when that 10m comes, it will be worth something.
If instead of buying a car two years ago with 10m, I decided to buy 2-year savings bond, the entire coupons and capital from that investment cannot cover 70% of th cost of buying that same model today.

That's the real risk, but it's not peculiar to Tbills investors, it affects everyone who earns in the local currency. That's why you see people who aren't even Tbills investors dey vex pass T-bills investors, cos their money has lost so much value that they need 750k to buy just one ram.

It's why pension contributors are sort of being short changed, they celebrate 15% CAGR on a currency that does like -30% annually.

The point to take here is no one should hold more than 50% of their assets in instruments that have no potential for capital appreciation, if they're serious about building wealth.

Stocks, real estate, precious metals(gold and the likes), FCY debt instruments, etc should get in the mix cos they have the potential for capital appreciation and thus are great hedging instruments.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IYGEAL(m): 12:59pm On Jun 24
Has anyone's CSCS account been credited for FGN Savings Bond for June 12 2024 or is my broker not doing their work this time?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sharone21(f): 1:26pm On Jun 24
RayRay06677:

Thanks

GOOD Stock but high BUY price....Maybe those with good fundamentals and technical analysis will help predict/ determine how high it will go to sell.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by sharone21(f): 1:33pm On Jun 24
omakay:

Never has GTB been impressive as per annum. If u see 13-15% per yr worked to 1 month, go to Church/ Mosque and thank God.

Check up Wema( via email/ visit not app), Fair Money, Palm Pay( Not exceeding N100,000 if not u may not enjoy the interest)..... Apel &Bamboo Treasury bills.... Meristem mutual fund & fixed rate per yr.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 2:40pm On Jun 24
IYGEAL:
Has anyone's CSCS account been credited for FGN Savings Bond for June 12 2024 or is my broker not doing their work this time?

I think FGN Savings Bond was to be paid on the 16 June 2024 ( The actual payment date) but wasn't because that 16th June was a weekend and at the same time a public holiday (Sallah). 17th and 18th were also public holidays. So it was paid on the 19th June. I got my last coupon and principal at about 9:50 PM on 19th June.

So I suggest you check your account first to be sure it wasn't paid to you. If it's not there.

Then send a mail to your broker and copy CSCS. Hope you saw all the previous coupons without issues. If yes then the problem is from them but then, they will still shift the blame as usual.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IYGEAL(m): 5:59pm On Jun 24
freeman67:

I think FGN Savings Bond was to be paid on the 16 June 2024 ( The actual payment date) but wasn't because that 16th June was a weekend and at the same time a public holiday (Sallah). 17th and 18th were also public holidays. So it was paid on the 19th June. I got my last coupon and principal at about 9:50 PM on 19th June.

So I suggest you check your account first to be sure it wasn't paid to you. If it's not there.

Then send a mail to your broker and copy CSCS. Hope you saw all the previous coupons without issues. If yes then the problem is from them but then, they will still shift the blame as usual.

Thanks for your response.

I'm actually talking about subscription for the month of June 2024, not coupon payment of old subscribed ones.

I subscribed on 3rd June. Subscription ended 12th June 2024 but I'm yet to see it reflect on my CSCS account, which is strange. I usually see it a few days after the end of subscription.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 6:17pm On Jun 24
IYGEAL:

Thanks for your response.

I'm actually talking about subscription for the month of June 2024, not coupon payment of old subscribed ones.

I subscribed on 3rd June. Subscription ended 12th June 2024 but I'm yet to see it reflect on my CSCS account, which is strange. I usually see it a few days after the end of subscription.

Okay. About that, attached is the message sent to me from my bank. They said the allotment will be between 4 - 6 week. So I believe there is still time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2241) (2242) (2243) (2244) (2245) (2246) (2247) ... (2268) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.