Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,886 members, 7,942,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 01:47 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (2256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4624074 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2253) (2254) (2255) (2256) (2257) (2258) (2259) ... (2262) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 2:25pm On Jul 30
LordAdam16:
Itsrm, your 30% end of July prediction is closer than we'd envisaged.

-Lord

When I said it, it looked impossible. I have gone all in into Tbills now. Only other asset class I have not Tbill is crypto.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 3:04pm On Jul 30
Hogwarthtrades:

if fee is "exhorbitant" and you are interested in tracking index fund / ETF portfolio, One hack will be to copy & paste the top 10 stocks in the portfolio you are interested per weighted average to your stock brokerage account.

Downside: it's not passive anymore, considering you will have to manually downsize or upgrade your position relative to the holdings you are tracking when they adjust every quarter or yearly as the fund manager deem fit.

Exactly @the bolded. Too much handling is a is another leeway for errors and emotions derailing ones portfolio. Also, how would one deal with reinvesting dividends or smaller sums on an ongoing basis? It's the reason why passive funds have become so popular and now largely surpass active funds. The fund managers should see profit but even factoring in the realities of a developing market, it's still quite exorbitant.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 3:05pm On Jul 30
awesomeJ:

I think you can conveniently mimick NSE30 with N1m.

I mean you can just find out the 30 stocks that make up the basket, and their weighting, then replicate it in your custom NSE30 portfolio.

Instead of people buying Armani suits off your earnings 😁😁😁

Lol@ the bolded. Manually doing it can be fraught with issues

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 3:14pm On Jul 30
jedisco:

Exactly @the bolded. Too much handling is a is another leeway for errors and emotions derailing ones portfolio. Also, how would one deal with reinvesting dividends or smaller sums on an ongoing basis? It's the reason why passive funds have become so popular and now largely surpass active funds. The fund managers should see profit but even factoring in the realities of a developing market, it's still quite exorbitant.

I agree with you about the fee, it would gradually come down as participant in the market demand quality but affordable fee by patronising fund managers that yield to the yearning of such clients.

Truth be told, it's not as much work or as complicated as fund managers want to make it seem, the biggest challenge is creating a system to approach buying and manually re-investing the dividend accrued (easier said than done though grin) when divy payment date come knocking.

Months to expect dividends per stock holding has gotten relatively consistent in Nigeria. When the fund come in, the person can manually buy back whatever amount the dividend can purchase. Alternative will be for he or she to re-allocate the dividend somewhere else. wIth time, it becomes uber natural like carrying out wire transfer from home or balancing your checkbook monthly type deal.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 3:42pm On Jul 30
jedisco:

Lol@ the bolded. Manually doing it can be fraught with issues

You can use Excel to automate 50%+ of the tasks.

You can use Python to automate 90%+ if you have enough APIs.

Although the size of the portfolio would determine whether the efforts are worth it or not.

If your annual returns are 10m or 100m and a fund manager is yanking 20% off, I know some guys that would build and maintain a good app for you for a tiny fraction of those fees.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 3:44pm On Jul 30
jedisco:

Let's float a startup to address this. Most fintechs seem only focused on payments.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30
Hogwarthtrades:

I agree with you about the fee, it would gradually come down as participant in the market demand quality but affordable fee by patronising fund managers that yield to the yearning of such clients.

Truth be told, it's not as much work or as complicated as fund managers want to make it seem, the biggest challenge is creating a system to approach buying and manually re-investing the dividend accrued (easier said than done though grin) when divy payment date come knocking.

Months to expect dividends per stock holding has gotten relatively consistent in Nigeria. When the fund come in, the person can manually buy back whatever amount the dividend can purchase. Alternative will be for he or she to re-allocate the dividend somewhere else. wIth time, it becomes uber natural like carrying out wire transfer from home or balancing your checkbook monthly type deal.

I agree, its an area of the market that needs more exposure and increased liquidity. I've only seen 2 NSE 30 etfs so far which is not competitive (IBTC and Vetiva - there might be more). In addition, many platforms or brokers charge transaction fees per transaction

For a local market, one should expect the total fee of a passive ETF to not exceed 0.2% especially considering global ETFs spanning several countries can be got for less.
ETFs are about the safest means of getting the common man investing in stocks. Interestingly, it's returns most times beat stock picking
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 4:15pm On Jul 30
awesomeJ:

Let's float a startup to address this. Most fintechs seem only focused on payments.

Hehe. Most would even charge to deposit into an investment account plus other additional fees.

Building the app is one, getting the regulatory approval is another then the right framework such that if the company goes bust peoples investments are safe. That way people can see stocks as a viable means to safe for retirement. An important part is marketing it and pricing it such that over time, the returns sell themselves.

Many people I know who rushed into stocks years back can't locate their share certificates talk more of knowing the price. How many can properly scrutinise end of year statements? At least with a passive fund, you buy one thing and let the broker balance it knowing that over time, if the market does well, you have good returns

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 6:28pm On Jul 30
Make una non vex, which one be NSE30 again?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skydiver01: 6:49pm On Jul 30
I believe its an index for the 30 largest capitalised companies listed on the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) wink
ojesymsym:
Make una non vex, which one be NSE30 again?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 7:05pm On Jul 30
Oh okay. But I do not think it is a constant, moreover I believe it is a subjective index.

skydiver01:
I believe its an index for the 30 largest capitalised companies listed on the Nigeria Stock Exchange (NSE) wink
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:06pm On Jul 30
jedisco:

Hehe. Most would even charge to deposit into an investment account plus other additional fees.

Building the app is one, getting the regulatory approval is another then the right framework such that if the company goes bust peoples investments are safe. That way people can see stocks as a viable means to safe for retirement. The important part is marketing it and pricing it such that overtime, the returns sell themselves.

Many people I know who rushed into stocks years back can't locate their share certificates talk more of knowing the price. How many can properly scrutinise account statements? At least with a passive fund, you buy one thing and let the broker balance it in the hope that over time, you have better returns

πŸ’― πŸ’―

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 11:50pm On Jul 30
Itsrm:

When I said it, it looked impossible. I have gone all in into Tbills now. Only other asset class I have not Tbill is crypto.
Welcome bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 8:45am On Jul 31
awesomeJ:

Why do you like bonds this much na.

Just a suggestion o, I think you should rebalance your portfolio. Add some stocks.

You seem to be a long term person, why not add some good dividend paying stocks that would do like 8% in dividends and may still do up to 2000% in capital gains over the lifetime of those bonds.

SEPLAT trades for around $2.4 but pays $0.03 every quarter. That's 5% annualized.

But check the prices on July 25th 2023 vs July 26th 2024, The capital gains is about 134%.

Over the past 5 years, the only bellwether on NGX that's losing is NESTLE. It was overpriced to begin with though.

I understand you have your reasons and and I'm not suggesting they aren't awesome. I just feel you should be getting more returns
. It's sort of paining me 😁😁.

Just maybe consider pushing 20% of your bond portfolio to other asset classes with capital gains potentials sha: stocks, euro bonds, gold etc.

Except of course these asset classes already have a significant weighting in your overall portfolio.

Again, you don't have to take this seriously, it may be someone else who finds it useful, now or later.

Why do you assume that people must follow the same rules that you follow for allocation of their investment portfolio? Different circumstances call for different allocation principles. And yes, a portfolio with a higher fixed income weighting works for some people.

You cannot tell a retired man or one approaching retirement to be like you and put most of his money in stocks like younger folks that can afford to ride out extended bear markets.

Please don’t give unsolicited financial advice when you do not know anything about the person.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:20am On Jul 31
Oshokhai69:

Why do you assume that people must follow the same rules that you follow for allocation of their investment portfolio? Different circumstances call for different allocation principles. And yes, a portfolio with a higher fixed income weighting works for some people.

You cannot tell a retired man or one approaching retirement to be like you and put most of his money in stocks like younger folks that can afford to ride out extended bear markets.

Please don’t give unsolicited financial advice when you do not know anything about the person.

If you had a life, wouldn't you know to shut up given that the person to whom the post was directed has given an appropriate response.

Here you are again feeling the impulse to display stupidity on an early morning, later you'll say someone is making you look stupid.

The stupidity is all you man.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 11:04am On Jul 31
awesomeJ:

If you had a life, wouldn't you know to shut up given that the person to whom the post was directed has given an appropriate response.

Here you are again feeling the impulse to display stupidity on an early morning, later you'll say someone is making you look stupid.

There you go again. Using insults to respond to opposing views. Am I wrong for asking you not to give unsolicited financial advice to people you know nothing about? Must you insult people that do not agree with your point of view on issues?

The funniest thing is many of these people you are giving unsolicited financial advice are actually financially smarter and more experienced in life than you. You should be trying to learn and understand why they follow certain investment principles instead of giving them unsolicited financial advice.

Try to resist the urge to be a financial saviour to strangers on an anonymous forum and learn to mind your business. Only give financial advice to those that have asked for advice please.

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Oshokhai69: 11:05am On Jul 31
awesomeJ:

This same guy claims to be a born again Christian. And the same person go dey wonder why Seun has remained an atheist. Can you blame him? How can he want to be a Christian when the person telling him about God is such a hypocrite that curses and insults at the slightest provocation?

As I have said before, you seem to have serious issues in your life and need help. I am genuinely sorry for people around you, especially your wife that has to deal with such an angry and unhappy person everyday.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 11:33am On Jul 31
Odunharry:

Welcome bro

Thanks bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 11:36am On Jul 31
awesomeJ:

like @Jedisco mentioned, have you considered the regulatory part and marketing side of things, what demographics are you considering ?

I will be interested to drop a few coins if proof of concept and scale is evident in foreseaable future.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 7:21am On Aug 01
Hogwarthtrades:

like @Jedisco mentioned, have you considered the regulatory part and marketing side of things, what demographics are you considering ?

I will be interested to drop a few coins if proof of concept and scale is evident in foreseaable future.

Yeah, the regulatory aspect can be the toughest part. Writing the code and marketing may not be as tough if one engages the right folks.

I imagine the SEC would require the board to include experienced investors with proven track records in fields like stock broking or asset management. This is based on the fact that CBN for instance would require you to have a CIBN fellow on your board to register just an MFB.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 7:25am On Aug 01
awesomeJ:

Yeah, the regulatory aspect can be the toughest part. Writing the code and marketing may not be as tough if one engages the right folks.

I imagine the SEC would require the board to include experienced investors with proven track records in fields like stock broking or asset management. This is based on the fact that CBN for instance would require you to have a CIBN fellow on your board to register just an MFB.

like i said, whenever your team is ready (proof of concept mostly important, proof of scale becomes issue of results will give room for more addressable market share ) , i will be interested to join, hopefully i can create time and part with some coins grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 9:00am On Aug 01
Hogwarthtrades:

like i said, whenever your team is ready (proof of concept mostly important, proof of scale becomes issue of results will give room for more addressable market share ) , i will be interested to join, hopefully i can create time and part with some coins grin

I do not have a team for this actually.
However if you form one, I would be willing to take 10-20% if we're able to reach workable terms.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hogwarthtrades: 9:30am On Aug 01
awesomeJ:

I do not have a team for this actually.
However if you form one, I would be willing to take 10-20% if we're able to reach workable terms.

Say less, whenever i come across something you will be notified.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 10:34am On Aug 01
Hogwarthtrades:

Say less, whenever i come across something you will be notified.

Awesome!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jedisco(m): 9:42am On Aug 03
ojesymsym:
Oh okay. But I do not think it is a constant, moreover I believe it is a subjective index.

Yes it's composite and price not constant and similar to other benchmarks like the S&P 500, FTSE 100, NASDAQ 100 which passively track a number of stocks that meet a criteria. It's rebalanced at set intervals to arrive at eligible companies and what allocation each company should have which should mirror their relative market cap. In that way, the criteria are preset and easy to follow.

By subjective you mean?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Fruitful2: 10:44am On Aug 03
We are in need of Treasury Bills for Lease for a 12 Months duration. Kindly reach out if you have or know anyone that has. Drop your phone contact and email.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Reelz: 1:16pm On Aug 05
Will there be PMA this week
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Timmi: 3:09pm On Aug 05
Fruitful2:
We are in need of Treasury Bills for Lease for a 12 Months duration. Kindly reach out if you have or know anyone that has. Drop your phone contact and email.

TB for lease?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 4:06pm On Aug 05
Fruitful2:

Which kind lease be this? U don't lease TB, you subscribe or buy for one year.

Contact ur bank in person or discuss with ur account officer for guidance!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Manutd19: 4:15pm On Aug 05
I plan to invest in treasury bills this week.

Please, which bank is the best to patronize? I bank with GTB, First Bank, Zenith and Access.

Thanks guys
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 4:21pm On Aug 05
Manutd19:
I plan to invest in treasury bills this week.

Please, which bank is the best to patronize? I bank with GTB, First Bank, Zenith and Access.

Thanks guys

Any of the first two is fine.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Manutd19: 4:31pm On Aug 05
Itsrm:

Any of the first two is fine.

Thank you. I really appreciate

(1) (2) (3) ... (2253) (2254) (2255) (2256) (2257) (2258) (2259) ... (2262) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.