Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,101 members, 7,919,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 10:25 AM

Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab (10037 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by IbroSaunks(m): 7:49pm On Feb 28, 2012
@maclatunji
I like your 6th sense, It's nice grin grin
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 7:58pm On Feb 28, 2012
IbroSaunks:

@maclatunji
I like your 6th sense, It's nice grin grin

Ibro, I pity you O. You missed some things in the past. Just be careful that you don't get in the eye of the storm. The 2 of us have capacity to generate some huge whirlwinds/tornadoes between us. #Joking

As for my sixth sense, it really does exist for me and I have learnt to trust it over the years- it is hardly wrong.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 8:25pm On Feb 28, 2012
maclatunji:

Tpia@ is really getting close to becoming a Muslim- methinks!

***Runs off before Hurricane Tpia@ lands***

deols:

^ it wld be a great pleasure

not the first time someone will say that.

I'll just give my usual reply:

if i even so much as look in that direction, na koboko una/dem go take chase me comot.

Its not my type people are looking for when they say they want converts! wink
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 8:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
^I just hope I didn't decode that correctly.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 8:31pm On Feb 28, 2012
you probably did.

its hard to decode it wrong?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 8:39pm On Feb 28, 2012
^Are you that bad?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 8:40pm On Feb 28, 2012
tpia@:

not the first time someone will say that.

I'll just give my usual reply:

if i even so much as look in that direction, na koboko una/dem go take chase me comot.

Its not my type people are looking for when they say they want converts! wink

@bold, the first I prolly dont understand. Who runs after an agbalagba with koboko these days?

and as to d second, I doubt that the mercy of God is for a particular type of people. So, once again, it would be a pleasure . .
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2012
@ maclatunji

yes.

@ deols

thank you but dem go discipline you if you bring in someone like me.
As i pointed out before.

Waka jeje to some nice, safe person abeg.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 11:48pm On Feb 28, 2012
@tpia, I think I get you more than most. Like I said it is your personal journey, but if you ever need help from being er, 'bad', I think I can help- God willing.

@deols, I am only saying this as I would tell anyone I don't wish ill for. It is rude not to respond when someone asks after your welfare. Just say 'fine thank you' and that will be it.

#Bepolitealways #Itpays
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 8:36am On Feb 29, 2012
tpia@:

@ deols

thank you but dem go discipline you if you bring in someone like me.
As i pointed out before.

Waka jeje to some nice, safe person abeg.

you are welcome ma. to d rest, I say hmmmn!!!!
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 11:43am On Feb 29, 2012
Where have i been all this while, @deols, maclatunji, Ibro and beta. well done. Allah will reward our efforts.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 5:25pm On Feb 29, 2012
^am i invisible?

or didnt i contribute to the topic. undecided
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 5:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
And Tpia, thank you
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 5:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
you're welcome.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 8:53pm On Feb 29, 2012
^That exchange was funny.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 01, 2012
Hmnnn, very interesting thread. I appreciate everyone's response and I've learnt a lot too.

I understand the Op's sentiment perfectly and I appreciate her sincerity too.

The 1st thing I want to add is 'Be among the righteous'. Be among those that can improve your imaan and not the other way round. An afar friend of mine used to tell me this when I told him how hard it is for me to be diligent with the use of scarfs, not to talk of hijab.

I agree with him because the type of friends I have (not wayward though) are not the covering type, and so, I don't get encouraged to use it. Atyms, I get this 'don't use scarf na, your hair is fine' bla bla bla . If I were to be among good hijabites, I don't think I'd find it difficult to use it cos I won't feel 'odd' and my self confidence would be on point.

So, I thought I should try to be more consistent with the scarf first (I usually don't cover at home, but I do in school). I thought I should work on covering both at home and in school. During my final year dinner, my friends discouraged me from using a scarf (their tots--it would make me less attractive). . My tots--attractive for who? Who says I can't be pretty with my scarf? So I did use my scarf (been using it since 200lev, so why should I not use it for one day?).

Another point as deols already pointed out is 'duing something primarily for the sake of Allah'. If you use hijab, grow beards etc, just because ppl are duing it around you, what happens when you leave these people and the environment. I've seen a couple of cases of hijabites-turned-'non-covering' babes due to change of environment and friends. Do what makes your creator and yourself happy and fulfilled. That's it.

As for parents' and friends' opinion about it, I believe when things are done your way, with moderation, patience and tolerance on your part, you'll be surprised they'll end up supporting you. Most of them fear the extremism that comes with it sometimes. Who am I to blame them? I've seen some parents 'lose' their children to religion.

Hijab or no hijab, that ONE man that is yours will show up at the right time.

I admire educated hijabites with style and wenever I come across one, i just say to myself 'hu says hijabites can't be pretty?' Deols, u remember one of the 1st questions I asked you then ? 'How you started using your hijab?' I see hijabites as courageous, self confident and obedient people (of course that doesn't make them saints, and me\non-hijabite devils),but its worth admiring.

Also, using an hijab doesn't automatically make u the perfect woman as some have pointed out. It signifies modesty and the wearer of the hijab shouldn't represent the opposite. I, personally cannot stand an arrogant\self righteous hijabite. Most times wen an hijabite is involved in an immoral act, she gets this surprised look like '. . . And u are covering your hair oo'. So me thinks your attitude and character should be in check too before putting on the hijab.

On a final note, I'm still not an hijabite ( I'm a scarfite, lol, ) Not because I don't know its expected of me as a muslimah, but the courage just never reach. . . One thing I do however,is that I ask ALL the hijabites I meet how they started using their hijabs, probably, one of the stories might be a challenge\motivation.

May Allah ease all our affairs. AMIN

Er ehmmmm, did I just type this epistle. . .
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 12:23am On Mar 01, 2012
maclatunji:

^That exchange was funny.

seriously, i seem invisible to him.

he must be scared of me or something.

he doesnt want wahala.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 5:29am On Mar 01, 2012
tpia, the invisible. Lol
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 8:48am On Mar 01, 2012
bhusayor:

Hmnnn, very interesting thread. I appreciate everyone's response and I've learnt a lot too.

I understand the Op's sentiment perfectly and I appreciate her sincerity too.

The 1st thing I want to add is 'Be among the righteous'. Be among those that can improve your imaan and not the other way round. An afar friend of mine used to tell me this when I told him how hard it is for me to be diligent with the use of scarfs, not to talk of hijab.

I agree with him because the type of friends I have (not wayward though) are not the covering type, and so, I don't get encouraged to use it. Atyms, I get this 'don't use scarf na, your hair is fine' bla bla bla . If I were to be among good hijabites, I don't think I'd find it difficult to use it cos I won't feel 'odd' and my self confidence would be on point.

So, I thought I should try to be more consistent with the scarf first (I usually don't cover at home, but I do in school). I thought I should work on covering both at home and in school. During my final year dinner, my friends discouraged me from using a scarf (their tots--it would make me less attractive). . My tots--attractive for who? Who says I can't be pretty with my scarf? So I did use my scarf (been using it since 200lev, so why should I not use it for one day?).

Another point as deols already pointed out is 'duing something primarily for the sake of Allah'. If you use hijab, grow beards etc, just because ppl are duing it around you, what happens when you leave these people and the environment. I've seen a couple of cases of hijabites-turned-'non-covering' babes due to change of environment and friends. Do what makes your creator and yourself happy and fulfilled. That's it.

As for parents' and friends' opinion about it, I believe when things are done your way, with moderation, patience and tolerance on your part, you'll be surprised they'll end up supporting you. Most of them fear the extremism that comes with it sometimes. Who am I to blame them? I've seen some parents 'lose' their children to religion.

Hijab or no hijab, that ONE man that is yours will show up at the right time.

I admire educated hijabites with style and wenever I come across one, i just say to myself 'hu says hijabites can't be pretty?' Deols, u remember one of the 1st questions I asked you then ? 'How you started using your hijab?' I see hijabites as courageous, self confident and obedient people (of course that doesn't make them saints, and me\non-hijabite devils),but its worth admiring.

Also, using an hijab doesn't automatically make u the perfect woman as some have pointed out. It signifies modesty and the wearer of the hijab shouldn't represent the opposite. I, personally cannot stand an arrogant\self righteous hijabite. Most times wen an hijabite is involved in an immoral act, she gets this surprised look like '. . . And u are covering your hair oo'. So me thinks your attitude and character should be in check too before putting on the hijab.

On a final note, I'm still not an hijabite ( I'm a scarfite, lol, ) Not because I don't know its expected of me as a muslimah, but the courage just never reach. . . One thing I do however,is that I ask ALL the hijabites I meet how they started using their hijabs, probably, one of the stories might be a challenge\motivation.

May Allah ease all our affairs. AMIN

Er ehmmmm, did I just type this epistle. . .

Okay, thanks for sharing. It is little by little, develop your knowledge of your religion, experiment with the different styles of Hijab and find one you feel comfortable with and hopefully you will get the hang of it. Like you said, above all things is the fear of Allah and sincerity with good deeds. You did write an epistle- but you wrote it well. cool smiley
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^thank you.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 8:48pm On Mar 01, 2012
^^^ 9ceeeeeee. I likeyyy
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by bukatyne(f): 1:05am On Mar 21, 2012
hello house, i'm not a muslim but would like to contribute. like a poster said, there re types of hijabs n scarfs one could use n stil look gud. seein most women wear this long shapeless hijabs that swallows them wit extra large skirts is a no no! there was a day i saw this muslim gal n she was woaw! she wrapped a scarf to cover her hair n neck n wore a long sleeved floor length gown n she looked so good n yet everywhere was covered! i met another lovely gal in camp that was a very beautiful muslim gal though she was more on scarfs but on sundays when goin for service had this wrap she used after her scarf n she looked beautiful witout exposin any part. i believed moderation is d key. d way we dress is d way we re addressed! naturally, a ill dressed person automatically turns others off! thanks n stay blessed!
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by hennychico(f): 5:10am On Mar 21, 2012
Av bn reading this convo 4 buh seems I av 2 contribute..@nene1 first and Most paramount Thing is that 'Woteva You do ehn' alwas Do it 4 the sake of Allah' using Of hijab Goes Along wiv Courage and determination'xpecially whr You r not from a Home whr You put hijab on.or where u r allowed to do woteva you want to do. Using of Hijab is xpected of every muslimah'I also started using Hijab not quite long' all my frnds that are here in sch wiv me I told them if u like me tho' you encourage and support me in all I do...and as a sister said there r ways You cld wear ur hijab that wnt vitate d usage of it. And 4 d marriage aspect' hijab or no hijabi'it is left 4 d muslim guy to decide whom he want because in dis part of africa or d world' hijab is nt wajib'it is voluntrily' any thn goes. Hijab is simply 2 cover ur Modesty and to act according to the world of Allah whch ez Rasul hs kept into action 4 us 2 see.. Tnks
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 25, 2012
So,tpia is a male,i thought shes female cos she reacts like a female.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 4:57pm On Mar 26, 2012
uplawal: So,tpia is a male,i thought shes female cos she reacts like a female.

She is female, please can you tell me how females react?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 11:04pm On Mar 26, 2012
you have time to respond to uplawal's post?

she's more informed than you when it comes to nlers and nl.

she's just pretending.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2012
tpia@:
you have time to respond to uplawal's post?

she's more informed than you when it comes to nlers and nl.

she's just pretending.

So, why do you have your gender as male here Tpia? That is misleading now.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2012
too much derailing.
bukatyne: hello house, i'm not a muslim but would like to contribute. like a poster said, there re types of hijabs n scarfs one could use n stil look gud. seein most women wear this long shapeless hijabs that swallows them wit extra large skirts is a no no! there was a day i saw this muslim gal n she was woaw! she wrapped a scarf to cover her hair n neck n wore a long sleeved floor length gown n she looked so good n yet everywhere was covered! i met another lovely gal in camp that was a very beautiful muslim gal though she was more on scarfs but on sundays when goin for service had this wrap she used after her scarf n she looked beautiful witout exposin any part. i believed moderation is d key. d way we dress is d way we re addressed! naturally, a ill dressed person automatically turns others off! thanks n stay blessed!

If you are not a Muslim, You actually shouldn't contribute. Islam is all about knowledge and what you have no knowledge of, even as a Muslim you keep quiet on. The problem with your opinion is, you are giving it based on what you perceive as good and ideal. You know what I'd prefer, that you read what Muslims have to say and learn from them rather than putting an opinion that would not be in sync with their religious belief.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 3:52pm On Mar 27, 2012
deols: too much derailing.

If you are not a Muslim, You actually shouldn't contribute. Islam is all about knowledge and what you have no knowledge of, even as a Muslim you keep quiet on. The problem with your opinion is, you are giving it based on what you perceive as good and ideal. You know what I'd prefer, that you read what Muslims have to say and learn from them rather than putting an opinion that would not be in sync with their religious belief.

That was harsh and completely unnecessary.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 3:52pm On Mar 27, 2012
hennychico: Av bn reading this convo 4 buh seems I av 2 contribute..@nene1 first and Most paramount Thing is that 'Woteva You do ehn' alwas Do it 4 the sake of Allah' using Of hijab Goes Along wiv Courage and determination'xpecially whr You r not from a Home whr You put hijab on.or where u r allowed to do woteva you want to do. Using of Hijab is xpected of every muslimah'I also started using Hijab not quite long' all my frnds that are here in sch wiv me I told them if u like me tho' you encourage and support me in all I do...and as a sister said there r ways You cld wear ur hijab that wnt vitate d usage of it. And 4 d marriage aspect' hijab or no hijabi'it is left 4 d muslim guy to decide whom he want because in dis part of africa or d world' hijab is nt wajib'it is voluntrily' any thn goes. Hijab is simply 2 cover ur Modesty and to act according to the world of Allah whch ez Rasul hs kept into action 4 us 2 see.. Tnks

I agree with everything you said except the one in bold. I see the need for sincerity and the need to do whatever for the sake of Allah.

To say that hijab isnt waajib is wrong. It is a command of Allah and that makes it compulsory. . If what you mean however is to convey our attitude towards it in this part of the world, then I'd say, it largely depends on the lady as many parents wouldn't compel their children to wear it.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by tpia5: 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2012
maclatunji:

So, why do you have your gender as male here Tpia? That is misleading now.

I'm not toasting anyone so i dont think what gender i have on my profile, matters.

however, I'll remove it completely if that's a problem.

I initially put it that way because of somebody who was getting on my nerves.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Abujabir24: 3:11pm On Mar 28, 2012
Hijab is compulsory on every muslimah, Young or old.
And to me i prefer a girl with hijab than one who exposes her body. its common in the south i say. Its now spreading in the north due to watching movies and social sites. Some are sincere wen putting it on while some are Munafiqs. My advise to the latter is they should fear ALLAH and repent because every Hypocrite would end up in Hell

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ramadan To Start On Thursday, May 17th, 2018 / Parents and potential parents,jump In. / Ramadan 2019: NSCIA Releases 30 Contact Details For Moon-sighting Notice – FULL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.