Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,891 members, 7,889,939 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:23 AM

Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab (10004 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olsmade(m): 12:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
@deols n @maclatunji
I've been noticing ur bickerings since I started visiting d Islam for muslims section especially d 'single muslims - let's meet here thread' and was dismayed at how dat thread eventually turned out.

I'm not gonna point accusing fingers at anybody but I really do hope it stops @ dis. This section should be a model for others on NL.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 7:05pm On Apr 06, 2012
@bhusayor, thanks alot for your last post. You've done well.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by IbroSaunks(m): 10:09pm On Apr 06, 2012
boy have I missed. deols, mac, it's normal to disagree on issues, but please, please, please, remember we are Muslims. you guys are brother and sister. is this really how we should settle things in this light? is this Islamic?
both of you need to be patient with each other. no1 is perfect, y'all need to chill for each other. this is a misunderstanding and therefore it can definitely be resolved. for the sake of Allah (swt) , pleassseee resolve this! thank you.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by IbroSaunks(m): 10:13pm On Apr 06, 2012
seriously what happened here really breaks my heart, why all this?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 10:55pm On Apr 06, 2012
IbroSaunks: seriously what happened here really breaks my heart, why all this?

Awwwww, sorry. Ok, I will do something about it.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Jarus(m): 12:17pm On Apr 07, 2012
Oh, just seeing this topic!

I'm interested in this topic.

Somebody mentioned Onyeruke's ban on hijab-wearing stockbrokers on the floor on page 1, yeah, it's a case I'm familiar with and know some of the players!
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 12:32pm On Apr 07, 2012
Jarus: Oh, just seeing this topic!

I'm interested in this topic.

Somebody mentioned Onyeruke's ban on hijab-wearing stockbrokers on the floor on page 1, yeah, it's a case I'm familiar with and know some of the players!
can you please shade more light on this?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 2:06pm On Apr 07, 2012
olsmade: @deols n @maclatunji
I've been noticing ur bickerings since I started visiting d Islam for muslims section especially d 'single muslims - let's meet here thread' and was dismayed at how dat thread eventually turned out.

I'm not gonna point accusing fingers at anybody but I really do hope it stops @ dis. This section should be a model for others on NL.

thanks. it will InshaAllah.

IbroSaunks: boy have I missed. deols, mac, it's normal to disagree on issues, but please, please, please, remember we are Muslims. you guys are brother and sister. is this really how we should settle things in this light? is this Islamic?
both of you need to be patient with each other. no1 is perfect, y'all need to chill for each other. this is a misunderstanding and therefore it can definitely be resolved. for the sake of Allah (swt) , pleassseee resolve this! thank you.

hmmn, thanks. If I wasnt involved, I'd prolly be a peace advocate too. Like I said, its over alhamdulillah. Everyone can be at peace now smiley
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by IbroSaunks(m): 3:18pm On Apr 07, 2012
alhamdulillah! Oya say "@mac we are cool" grin
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Jarus(m): 8:35pm On Apr 07, 2012
olawalebab: can you please shade more light on this?
Some 2-3 years ago, Ndi (NSE DG) banned dressing in Hijab, in fact scarf, on the floor of the stock exchange, as if the Hijab stopped them from doing their job. It was at the height of that woman's uncontrolled power in NSE and few people dared look at her in the face.

One of IBTC's key stockbrokers, G(full name withheld, a year my senior in Ife), was an Hijab-wearing sister(very small Hijab for that matter). IBTC needed to take a decision based of DG's new dress code. She offered to resign instead of going to the floor of the exchange without head cover. But she was too valuable to be left by IBTC, so they took it up. They beckoned on some powerful Hausa big men who run things in this country(and are on the board of virtually every corporation, including NSE or know top guys there) and they got NSE DG to reverse the decision, which is stupid anyway because their brain and not their Hijab will do the work.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2012
Jarus:
Some 2-3 years ago, Ndi (NSE DG) banned dressing in Hijab, in fact scarf, on the floor of the stock exchange, as if the Hijab stopped them from doing their job. It was at the height of that woman's uncontrolled power in NSE and few people dared look at her in the face.

One of IBTC's key stockbrokers, G(full name withheld, a year my senior in Ife), was an Hijab-wearing sister(very small Hijab for that matter). IBTC needed to take a decision based of DG's new dress code. She offered to resign instead of going to the floor of the exchange without head cover. But she was too valuable to be left by IBTC, so they took it up. They beckoned on some powerful Hausa big men who run things in this country(and are on the board of virtually every corporation, including NSE or know top guys there) and they got NSE DG to reverse the decision, which is stupid anyway because their brain and not their Hijab will do the work.

that is interesting to know of. But was the decision for her alone or every other person on the floor?

Am feeling proud of her already.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Jarus(m): 7:05am On Apr 08, 2012
deols:

that is interesting to know of. But was the decision for her alone or every other person on the floor?

Am feeling proud of her already.
They were few female Muslim stockbrokers actually and those that cover their heads are even fewer.
Not sure, but I heard others from other stockbroking firms had also conceded to remove their scarf.
Interestingly, the person that stood with her most in IBTC was a Muslim lady topshot who doesn't even cover her own head. She argued her case in top level management meetings. And kudos to IBTC management too, despite being headed by 2 born-again Christians respected her religious stand and accepted her case.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 8:45am On Apr 08, 2012
Jarus:

where am i when this was happening.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2012
Jarus:
They were few female Muslim stockbrokers actually and those that cover their heads are even fewer.
Not sure, but I heard others from other stockbroking firms had also conceded to remove their scarf.
Interestingly, the person that stood with her most in IBTC was a Muslim lady topshot who doesn't even cover her own head. She argued her case in top level management meetings. And kudos to IBTC management too, despite being headed by 2 born-again Christians respected her religious stand and accepted her case.

mashaAllah

olawalebab: where am i when this was happening.
undecided undecided
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 17, 2012
Realy enjoiyed this thread.
But the most important thing is the kind of personality you want your spouse to have. Pls we shouldn't forget the advive the Prophet (صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ) gave to us.( Marry the one that is religious).
I must say from this point that most muslim ladies U̶̲̥̅̊ Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴͡ out there that dress unislamic are nt aware of the consiquencies of what they do. Cos their parent who are to let them have the basic ISLAMIC knowledge do nt have it not to talk of teaching their female child.
I did a sampling on this in which I discovered that most muslim ladies that do dress unislamic have this kind of western psychological warefare.

My advise to you all is that we should all pray for the spouse that will be the best for us in this life and the one to come.

Alahumo hunsurni imrahtu saliha bit taqwa llahi siran wajaratan.

1 Like

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by busar(m): 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2012
Are u dressing 2 please Allah or 2 please people?I wud prefer an hijabi sis with a gud xter n vry islamic because wat realy matas is d offspring.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by BahPulo(f): 2:43pm On Apr 25, 2012
Interesting topic. the issue of the hijab seems to come up all the time. I only wear the hijab when I am praying. I know if I were to wear my husband will be the happiest man in earth. I know he wants me to do it but I am not ready yet and like me he understands it has to come from me not him. after all when I wear my hijab I want to do it because of Allah subhana wa tallah only. Also one more thing that really worries me is corporate america, I am in the actuary field which is dominated by white male you rarely see women and minorites in this industry. I have to make sur I change field or go to a company that is open minded the ones I see around my city i don't think will accept it.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by olawalebabs(m): 3:24pm On Apr 25, 2012
BahPulo: Interesting topic. the issue of the hijab seems to come up all the time. I only wear the hijab when I am praying. I know if I were to wear my husband will be the happiest man in earth. I know he wants me to do it but I am not ready yet and like me he understands it has to come from me not him. after all when I wear my hijab I want to do it because of Allah subhana wa tallah only. Also one more thing that really worries me is corporate america, I am in the actuary field which is dominated by white male you rarely see women and minorites in this industry. I have to make sur I change field or go to a company that is open minded the ones I see around my city i don't think will accept it.
May Allah make it easy for you.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 3:47pm On Apr 25, 2012
^Amin
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by BahPulo(f): 4:30pm On Apr 25, 2012
Amin thank you for the well wishes it really means a lot to me. I notice that nigerian muslims are really up to date with their deen. For example you wear the hijab more than we do in senegal it looks like sallah and ramaddan are well respected in your community, and many other things. I am not saying we don't have people with good devotions but there are more people like me (but i intend to change inchallah) muslims in name but knows very little about islam.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 25, 2012
BahPulo: Amin thank you for the well wishes it really means a lot to me. I notice that nigerian muslims are really up to date with their deen. For example you wear the hijab more than we do in senegal it looks like sallah and ramaddan are well respected in your community, and many other things. I am not saying we don't have people with good devotions but there are more people like me (but i intend to change inchallah) muslims in name but knows very little about islam.

hello cheesy wink smiley
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 9:30am On Apr 26, 2012
BahPulo: Amin thank you for the well wishes it really means a lot to me. I notice that nigerian muslims are really up to date with their deen. For example you wear the hijab more than we do in senegal it looks like sallah and ramaddan are well respected in your community, and many other things. I am not saying we don't have people with good devotions but there are more people like me (but i intend to change inchallah) muslims in name but knows very little about islam.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we are also trying to learn more about our religion- If it will make you feel better, blame it on the French. grin
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 7:52pm On May 01, 2012
'

Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by BahPulo(f): 3:19pm On May 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Don't be too hard on yourself, we are also trying to learn more about our religion- If it will make you feel better, blame it on the French. grin

You are funny, there are many things want to blame on the French but this one is not one of them lo nice try though. grin
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by maclatunji: 5:13pm On May 04, 2012
BahPulo:

You are funny, there are many things want to blame on the French but this one is not one of them lo nice try though. grin

At least you give me credit for effort. I love to make people laugh even if it/I doesn't always come across like that. I am confident that you will find the strength to embrace the Hijab for all the right reasons in the future (God-willing). Enjoy your day.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by emofine2(f): 11:35am On May 05, 2012
nene1: She said that we are different from arab women and that it is their culture. However, this is something that a MUSLIM woman should wear regardless of their culture or race as anyone can be muslim. Besides, not all arabs are muslims and the Christian Arabs do not wear hijab.

If so, if an African woman was to dress modestly must she wear an Arabic traditional attire? I understand that some regard the hijab as perhaps an Islamic uniform but that doesn't still negate the fact that it is traditionally Arabic.

Some young African women who try to appear “modern” or some may call it “western” in terms of fashion tailor their traditional African fabrics into a “western” syntax thus could not a Muslim African woman consider doing such? undecided

BTW I do love the Hijab though grin but I don’t understand the idea of adopting another traditional attire as a mark of being “modest” or “muslimy” undecided

How many "modern" and well-educated AFRICAN muslim men would actually want a hijabi or would they think she is backwards or unattractive. I think this is why so many women who wear hijab try to do extra things to look attractive b/c they have to compete with non-hijabis who can do things with their hair and show more skin.

Yes, the point of a hijab is to be modest, but modest does not mean you have to look unattractive or cannot look pretty. I think it is important for your future husband to have some type of physical attraction to you whether you wear hijab or not.

This is actually the irony. The beauty of an attractive woman will still resonate no matter her attire (well I mean no matter how she tries to conceal and not highlight it). The majority of hijab clad women I have seen were very beautiful that I often thought erm...is this really a design to conceal one’s beauty because to me it enhances it in some way...but maybe because I find eyes to be very beautiful...for another it could be hair or something...so erm maybe it’s just me tongue

As a non-Muslim to a Muslimah, if you feel the hijab is appropriate for you and a reflection of your faith and not because of another human being (especially a man) then really you shouldn't be conflicted or perhaps even unconfident about adorning yourself in the attire.

I think it is important for your future husband to have some type of physical attraction to you whether you wear hijab or not.

What about ladies wearing the niqab?
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 6:05pm On May 05, 2012

If so, if an African woman was to dress modestly must she wear an Arabic traditional attire? I understand that some regard the hijab as perhaps an Islamic uniform but that doesn't still negate the fact that it is traditionally Arabic.

can you prove to us that the hijab is a traditional arabic attire?? if so, pls do. Are u aware of what is called jahiliyyah?? if not, pls google it before answering the question.

Try have an understanding of the difference between Islamic and Arabic. As you are right now, you could be doing something Islamic without being a Muslim.

Some young African women who try to appear “modern” or some may call it “western” in terms of fashion tailor their traditional African fabrics into a “western” syntax thus could not a Muslim African woman consider doing such? undecided
if it doesnt go against the Islamic culture and properly covered with the hijab, Of course, she can.

BTW I do love the Hijab though grin but I don’t understand the idea of adopting another traditional attire as a mark of being “modest” or “muslimy” undecided

You get it all wrong. Hijab is a commandment. it is stated in the holy Qur'an with its characteristics described by scholars. If you would prove to me, as asked above that it is arabic rather than Islamic, I can then understand your reasoning. No culture can claim the hijab as far as I know. I still wonder how you came about the conclusion. If it were already an arab thing, Why would God reveal a message ordering its use?

This is actually the irony. The beauty of an attractive woman will still resonate no matter her attire (well I mean no matter how she tries to conceal and not highlight it). The majority of hijab clad women I have seen were very beautiful that I often thought erm...is this really a design to conceal one’s beauty because to me it enhances it in some way...but maybe because I find eyes to be very beautiful...for another it could be hair or something...so erm maybe it’s just me tongue

There have been so many misconceptions about hijab, what it entails and why it should be used. To youu, hijab is meant to conceal beauty? To me , the most important thing about using it is as an obedience to ALlah. Reading further, Allah describes it as something that distinguishes us from others(u can even tell a Muslim who wears scarf from others). it is also a sign of modesty. Apart from that is its role in keeping the 'sanity' of the populace(lack of a better word there). the possibility of a man lusting after a properly covered woman is definitely slimm when compared with an uncovered one of the same pedigree.

As a non-Muslim to a Muslimah, if you feel the hijab is appropriate for you and a reflection of your faith and not because of another human being (especially a man) then really you shouldn't be conflicted or perhaps even unconfident about adorning yourself in the attire.

I agree with this.

What about ladies wearing the niqab?

I want to assume you'd agree that beauty isnt the primary thing people seek in marriage. A man who wants to marry someone wearing Niqaab must have done his homework. the only thing left would then be to see what she looks like. In that case, he is allowed to see her face and even a part of her body like her leg. This, she does in the presence of a mahram(a relative she can't marry ).
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 6:07pm On May 05, 2012
mistake
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by emofine2(f): 6:56pm On May 05, 2012
^^^
I was responding in accordance to the OP so instead of researching I just ran with the interpretations granted by the OP because I assumed the author being Muslim that her definitions would sufficiently stand. I stand corrected then.
Actually after reviewing what I responded to again I believe I was following the authors mother’s definitions dismissing the following explanation from “however”...and that’s the fault of my comprehension – my apologies for being so hasty.

There have been so many misconceptions about hijab, what it entails and why it should be used. To youu, hijab is meant to conceal beauty? To me , the most important thing about using it is as an obedience to ALlah. Reading further, Allah describes it as something that distinguishes us from others(u can even tell a Muslim who wears scarf from others). it is also a sign of modesty. Apart from that is its role in keeping the 'sanity' of the populace(lack of a better word there). the possibility of a man lusting after a properly covered woman is definitely slimm when compared with an uncovered one of the same pedigree.

Well all my comments were tailored to the OP’s viewpoint or what I believed were the views of the OP...women who wear the hijab apparently potentially appearing less unattractive inspired that comment. Actually I had always associated the hijab with Muslim women portraying modesty according to my Muslimah friends anyway and that the crown of a woman’s beauty was to be reserved for her husband and of course obedience to the requirements of their faith.

Now we’re on this topic I hope you don’t mind me asking...do Muslim men work towards lowering the possibility of a woman lusting after them (just like Muslim women do in relation to men)?

I want to assume you'd agree that beauty isnt the primary thing people seek in marriage. A man who wants to marry someone wearing Niqaab must have done his homework. the only thing left would then be to see what she looks like. In that case, he is allowed to see her face and even a part of her body like her leg. This, she does in the presence of a mahram(a relative she can't marry ).

Again I was responding in accordance to the OP’s comment and I do agree with your point hence I asked that question.

Try have an understanding of the difference between Islamic and Arabic. As you are right now, you could be doing something Islamic without being a Muslim.

That’s a very good and interesting point. Point taken.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by deols(f): 7:50pm On May 05, 2012
emöfine2: ^^^
I was responding in accordance to the OP so instead of researching I just ran with the interpretations granted by the OP because I assumed the author being Muslim that her definitions would sufficiently stand. I stand corrected then.
Actually after reviewing what I responded to again I believe I was following the authors mother’s definitions dismissing the following explanation from “however”...and that’s the fault of my comprehension – my apologies for being so hasty.

its understandable. no probs, we'r cool wink cheesy

Now we’re on this topic I hope you don’t mind me asking...do Muslim men work towards lowering the possibility of a woman lusting after them (just like Muslim women do in relation to men)?

Ideally, a Muslim man should. Even though there are no detailed descriptions in the Qur'an regarding what a man should wear, many scholars have pointed to their clothing as not being tight fitted, etc. But, you hear people talking more of what a woman should appear like, totally neglecting what a man should or shouldnt wear. It partly has a thing to do with the patriarchal nature of our societies and more because the woman is seen as the more alluring sex. Allah says-

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...(24:30) and say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...(24:31)

If there is nothing to lust after in men, I doubt that the verse 31 would be revealed. inference can be made from this verse to already call for modesty in men. Many Muslim guys join in wearing skinny jeans . I just know there was something wrong about that.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by emofine2(f): 9:58pm On May 05, 2012
deols:

its understandable. no probs, we'r cool wink cheesy

cool

Many Muslim guys join in wearing skinny jeans . I just know there was something wrong about that.

Lol.
Re: Marriage: Hijabi Or Non-hijab by rukem(f): 11:24pm On Jun 24, 2012
@ nene1,i understand whot ur opinion is about usn the hijab cos itz whot am actually facn now cos i would love my future partner to be a muslim so i can raise my children in the way of islam.but usn it feels very hard for me cos i am used to the normal western fashion sense which has to do with figure revealing clothes,attractive make-ups and hair do.but i noticed all this takes u back and keep u away from remembering and worshiping Allah wish is our primary aim of exsiting and every other thing is secondary.and according to what president said,itz thru dat most hijb sister find suitors early than the non hijabis and their fellow muslim cos when i was in higher institution,i noticed most of the hijab sisters are either married or engaged.so nene1 itz a good thing and remember u are don this for allah and not for shown off.usn the hijab draws u closer and makes u rem ALLAH and solat and allah says in the quran that in the remberance of ALLAH does the heart finds rest.so u are taking a bold step in finding rest in the one u belive in.ma salam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Islamic Religious Leaders Failing Islam? / What's The Proper Way To Enter The Fold Of Islam? / What To Do Upon Seeing A Bad Dream?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.