Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,042 members, 7,912,938 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 04:19 PM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8361863 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (6967) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2012
@Mogbomoya,thanks for the info,quite encouraging.I'll try it out next time then.

@Luvlee,Amen to ur prayers!
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by biddiebest: 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2012
Ladies & Mommas in da House,

Congrats to all d newly born mummies

i still dey here ooo, dey count down seriously,

i don't want to complain, i know it is well IJN Amen...
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
Update on my wife's bleeding at 19/20 weeks pregancy :

My wife who is in her 20th week is still in hospital. This afternoon as she prepared to be discharged, she started bleeding again; midwife she told that her cervix is opening and a portion of the amionic fluid sac is protruding.

Blood tests, BP and heart rates are all normal.

The doctors /midwives have said that the cervix could be stitched shut once they can get the protruding part of the amionic sac back into the womb through cervix.

My wife is currently lying in bed angled with her feet higher than her head to try and get the protruding part of the amionic sac to fall back in.

One of the problems is that my wife is going to the toilet very frequently and I guess this would not help with the issue of the protruding amionic sac.

The midwife that spoke to my wife says that even if the protruding part of the sac fall back through to cervix, they would not consider stitching the cervix for at least another 24 - 48 hours to ensure that everything is stable and there are no further infections, as she says that if the cervix is stitched whilst an infection still exists, it could be dangerous or the mother as well as baby.
We still cannot really understand the reason for the unnecessary delay.

I have some questions:

Has anybody else ever experienced this before?

Is it normal to delay stitching the cervix at 19-20 week?

We enquired whether a catheter could be fitted solve the problem of my my wife having to get up frequently to urinate, the midwives say that this would not be good idea as a catheter may introduce another infection.
Any advice / experiences?

If they are worried about infection surely antibiotics could be started just to make sure.

What do you all thinK?
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by yme1(f): 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
GenBuhari: Update on my wife's bleeding at 19/20 weeks pregancy :

My wife who is in her 20th week is still in hospital. This afternoon as she prepared to be discharged, she started bleeding again; midwife she told that her cervix is opening and a portion of the amionic fluid sac is protruding.

The doctors /midwives have said that the cervix could be stitched shut once they can get the protruding part of the amionic sac back into the womb through cervix.

My wife is currently lying in bed angled with her feet higher than her head to try and get the protruding part of the amionic sac to fall back in.

One of the problems is that my wife is going to the toilet very frequently and I guess this would not help with the issue of the protruding amionic sac.

The midwife that spoke to my wife says that even if the protruding part of the sac fall back through to cervix, they would not consider stitching the cervix for at least another 24 - 48 hours to ensure that everything is stable and there are no further infections, as she says that if the cervix is stitched whilst an infection still exists, it could be dangerous or the mother as well as baby.

I have some questions:

We enquired whether a catheter could be fitted solve the problem of my my wife having to get up frequently to urinate, the midwives say that this would not be good idea as a catheter may introduce another infection.

If they are worried about infection surely antibiotics could be started just to make sure.

What do you all thinK?

It depends. Some antibiotics are safe to take throughout pregnancy, some pose known risks to a developing baby, and a host of others fall in between.

When a drug falls into this last category, it's because there's not enough safety information available or the potential risk of the drug needs to be carefully weighed against the harmful effects of the condition it's being used to treat.

In other words, if you're very sick and an antibiotic is the only thing that will help you get better, you may need to take it in spite of the potential risk to your baby. In some cases, not treating your illness could be more risky for your baby's health than exposing him to an antibiotic.

What's more, as with any medication, the safety of a particular antibiotic depends not only on the characteristics of the drug itself but on factors such as how much you take, how long you take it, and where you are in your pregnancy.

Some antibiotics are not an option because it blocks the effects of folic acid which is very important

From cases I have heard of bleeding during pregnancy results to the doctors prescribing bed rest for the woman for a period of 2 weeks and no lifting of heavy weight

I pray your wife gets thru this safe and sound and comes out of it with a healthy baby. All the best! smiley
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by osikhueme(f): 8:41am On Jul 04, 2012
GenBuhari: Update on my wife's bleeding at 19/20 weeks pregancy :

I have some questions:

What do you all thinK?

I had a cerclage at 22weeks. The doctors discovered I needed cerclage on a Friday but I didn't go through with the operation till Monday (Monday was operation day). I was on complete bed rest until that Monday (I had bathroom breaks). Just try and make sure she's on bed rest, she's got to use the bathroom if she has to
All will be well IJN
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 5:52am On Jul 05, 2012
Just as a means of an update, I am pasting a post i just made on the TTC thread:

Thank you all.

The latest on my wife's pregnancy is that the baby is still alive and moving insde her, her BP is high approx 130 /94 and she is starting to get what we believe maybe labour pains.
The doctors have advised that it is too risky to stitch the cervix as this could worsen the infection which may lead to fatal blood poisoning.

The cause of the bleeding was a uniray tract infection and apparently this is common between 6 and 24 weeks and is mainly caused by pressure on the bladder from the growing womb.

I am wondering whether the infection may have cleared if the hospital had not wasted about 14hours before starting antibiotics. My wife even told me, just yesterday, that she was offered a termination on her 2nd day at the hospital, this I was shocked at!

Wish we had taken Agiboma's advice; she had advised that we attend an early pregnancy unit and get a high risk pregnancy assessment. I remember that because we had lost a baby at 21 weeks due to an infection, we were advised for my wife to take anti-biotics at approx 11 weeks, this never happened this time, it was never given for our youngest child's pregnancy in 2007 either.

At this stage we are resigned that the outcome seems likely to be a miscarriage and I am still praying for a miracle.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by afrobaby(f): 8:26am On Jul 05, 2012
@genbuhari, miracles come from God, please talk to him the way A̶̲̥̅̊ son talks to his father, and he will grant Ʊ ur heart desire, it is well IJN.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 9:18am On Jul 05, 2012
@Genbuari,i believe God will change ur wife's story and u will testify,just hold on to him....peace!
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by biddiebest: 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
@ GenBuhari, d Lord is ur strength, He will see u & family through and make ur JOY full IJN Amen.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by diamondlove: 8:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
House
Dis heartburn is getting so serious, I take antacids like am drinking water, burnin still
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by kabiru82(m): 7:24am On Jul 06, 2012
Plz Advise me on wot to do.My wife is 5weeks pregnant n she feels week oll d time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by diamondlove: 9:02am On Jul 06, 2012
^^ those are the symptoms, not to worry, she will get over it soon
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 06, 2012
Amen!
thanks for your prayers the baby is still alive and well, situation is still critical.

kabiru82: Plz Advise me on wot to do.My wife is 5weeks pregnant n she feels week oll d time.

biddiebest: @ GenBuhari, d Lord is ur strength, He will see u & family through and make ur JOY full IJN Amen.
imurboss: @Genbuari,i believe God will change ur wife's story and u will testify,just hold on to him....peace!

afrobaby: @genbuhari, miracles come from God, please talk to him the way A̶̲̥̅̊ son talks to his father, and he will grant Ʊ ur heart desire, it is well IJN.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by infogenius(m): 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2012
diamondlove: House
Dis heartburn is getting so serious, I take antacids like am drinking water, burnin still

dw just told me that milk can help reduce the heart burn.

@General Buhari
There is nothing to worry about God that put the baby in your wife's womb is more than able to keep both of them.
She will be fine in no time In Jesus Name.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Igosun: 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
TO GOD BE THE GLORY I WAS GIVEN 13TH OF JULY AS MY EDD DATE BUT ON 27TH OF JUNE AT ABOUT 12PM I STARTED FEELING AS IF I HAVE SMALL BACK PAIN AND HUBBY WAS NOT IN TOWN I JUST DECIDED TO PACK ALL THE HOSPITAL THINGS HAVE NOT PACKED. BY 1AM I COULD NOT HOLD IT AGAIN AND I WAS STILL THINKING COULD THIS BE A SIGN OF LABOUR SINCE I WAS GIVEN 13 OF JULY. MY DEAR PEOPLE NOT UNTIL MY WATER BROKE AROUND 1:30AM ON THE I JUST GRABBED THE CAR KEY AND DROVE STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL WITH MY HOUSE HELP INSIDE THAT HEAVY RAIN COS THERE WAS NOT BODY TO DRIVE ME GOT TO THE HOSPITAL AROUND 3:3OAM. THANK GOD I STILL HAD THE STRENGTH THAT TIME BUT I TELL YOU IF I DINT GO THAT TIME I WOULD HAVE DELIVERED AT HOME . WITHOUT NOBODY TO HELP.

I GAVE BIRTH TO A BABY BOY(4KG) ON JUNE 28.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by afrobaby(f): 10:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
Congrats igosun, Ʊ are A̶̲̥̅̊ strong woman o, driving in that pain, am happy for Ʊ, my brother(A̶̲̥̅̊ doctor) told me EDD is +/-2weeks, I guess Ʊ just confirmed it

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 07, 2012
@Infogenius,
Thanks for your prayer.
I just talked with the consultant who made it clear about the risk of fatality if the the womb is stitched, whilst infection persists. She said she suspect that the infection would remain in the membrane of the placenta.

She said even with the stitching there is a likelyhood that the baby would be born very premature such as 24 weeks so may not survive and that such premature babies are likely to have phyical and mental disabilities.

She also said even the process of stitching the cervix can carry risk of miscarriage.

There is an indicator level of 7 for an infection to be considered safe and my wife blood test indicating a level of 12.

She said she may consider doing the stitch in the morning providing my wife's BP and temp remain stable and that she signs a consent form.

Baby's heart beat was detected and could be felt moving about a lot.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by infogenius(m): 1:30am On Jul 07, 2012
@Gen Buhari
So they want to stitch the cervix or the womb?
I am lost for words, that baby
The infection had gone that deep and nothing was done to reduce its effect all these days?
Our hospitals, how sad.All along they wanted to terminate that pregnancy
Gen Buhari I feel ur pains and I am just too shocked to type but I will.

Just seek solace in the arms of the most high and let him do as he pleases.
I know that God is still on ur side and that of ur family.
Let's see what happens at the end of the day.
I still hope for a miracle though.

@igosun ; CONGRATULATIONS!!! God has made you deliver like the hebrew women.I tap into this ur testimony and God will preserve u and ur baby boy.Pls invite us for ur naming oh.Glory to God.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 1:54am On Jul 07, 2012
Thanks infogenius.
BTW Iam in the UK.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by cuteruth(f): 6:25am On Jul 07, 2012
@ igosun,May God continually be with ur Family. Congratulations

@Gen Buhari, wat u really need now is to Stay Strong With God because there is nothing He Cannot do. Doctors Can Fail;but God Never Fails n he never Lies. Have Faith because God dat Started the Pregnancy is weLl able to see ur wife thru. It is Well
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 07, 2012
Thanks cuteruth.

My wife has just been told she is full dilated. Yet sheis not feeling any labour pain undecided
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Otosdd: 2:53pm On Jul 07, 2012
@ avature nd igosu congratulations on ur safe delievry. @ Gen buhara God is ur strenght just put ur trust in him, he is a faithful God, he said in his words dat d expectation of d righteous shall never be cut off. I pray dat u nd ur wife expectation will not be cut off ijn. Amen. My little angel is doing fine she is d quite type she doesnt cry at night, she is always sleeping. @ imurboss how far are u still rolling, its well i pray for safe delievery ij. Amen. @ To all d mothers dat are due for delivery God wil surprise ur enemies b4 dey wil know wat is going on u have already delivered ur baby ijn. Amen
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imurboss: 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2012
@Igosun,congrats u're a strong woman,I tap from ur strength n ur testimony. @GenBuari,God will visit ur wife in a special way

@Otosodd,I'm glad u're enjoying motherhood,I can't wait to hold my own baby in my arms.I was told today that if labour does not start this coming week I will be induced as I'm already 41wks,I just wish it comes naturally b4 then,I'm just hoping in God for the best at this stage.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 08, 2012
Thanks imurboss and Otosdd for the supportive words.

Update As of 8pm this evening:

The situation has gotten progressively more worrying, my wife appears to be getting regular contractions and is bleeding heavily.

Scan showed baby still alive but my wife's water has not broken yet.

Doctors say there is no hope now but we are still hopeful for a miracle whilst the water and baby are still intact.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 08, 2012
My wife's water just broke cry
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by isalegan2: 1:03am On Jul 09, 2012
GenBuhari: My wife's water just broke cry

Thinking of you and the family, brother. sad
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by teewai27: 2:19am On Jul 09, 2012
Genbuhari, it must be hard what you're going through.I just can't imagine the pain and confusion but keep Hope alive. God is not dead and he will certainly put a smile on your family's face. God bless you for being so strong for your wife.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by jumie62(f): 9:41am On Jul 09, 2012

Iτ̅ is well Gen Buhari, the Almighty will​♏A̶̲̥̅ke you and your wife smile very soon ul seee. Pls be strong and hopeful!!!

HollA̶̲̥̅ house, i Will be sharing M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ testimony this week by God's grace and its gonna be Supernatural
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by ToyosiR(f): 10:41am On Jul 09, 2012
@Igosun, congrats on ur bundle of joy. Wishing u and ur family the best.

@GenBuhari, God is in control. He knows what u are going through. I wish u and the family the best ever.

Wishing all expecting mamaas safe delivery ooo.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by uwani(f): 6:01pm On Jul 09, 2012
My prayer is with you and your family, may God almighty give you the strenght to endure this trying period.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
@isale_gan2,uwani,Toyosi R, jumie62,
Thanks for the supportive words.

When I visited my wife this morning she was very poorly, although her water had broken, the tiny baby had not been washed out and had instead risen up in the womb and remained there.

On speaking to the doctors, they said that my wife was no longer contracting and they were gradually giving her more hormone to help her start contracting again.

Thank God by approx midday today the baby was still born, she was perfect but tiny; her body from head to her buttocks is was probably the length of a large mango (but thinner); with her legs included she was not much longer than the length of my hand from my finger-tips to my wrist.

A catholic priest in the hospital came and gave the baby blessing and prayed for her gentle and innocent soul.

My wife was continuing to bleed and midwife has given her an injection to stop the bleeding, whilst she was given more blood on a drip. The placenta and afterbirth were throughly removed she would likely be kept in hospital for many more hours whilst her health , blood pressure , temperature, bleeding etc are monitored.

Our concern now is that my wife recovers her health and strength and thank God she is being looked after well by the midwives and doctors.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by mogbomoya: 9:29am On Jul 10, 2012
My heart goes out to GenBuhari. All is well. God is still God.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (6967) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.