Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,863 members, 7,872,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:51 AM

Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> (45852 Views)

Poll: Do you agree with him?

Yes : 39% (58 votes)
No: 55% (82 votes)
Undecided: 5% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Why Do We Never See Videos Of Anita? Youtube? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by coolguy2002: 12:38am On Apr 17, 2012
ok. nice
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Exponental(m): 12:38am On Apr 17, 2012
I agree with d pastor, oda than abuse, there is no biblucal backup dat ds things are sins. If Jesus could turn water into wine, then, there is need for d body 2 take wine.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by mkmyers45(m): 12:52am On Apr 17, 2012
Okija_juju: Fact: Jesus Christ never sinned, never:

"For we have not an High Priest [see also High Priest to King of The World] which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15 KJV)

Fact: The first recorded miracle of Jesus Christ was changing water into wine, for people to drink:

"And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth His glory; and His disciples believed on Him" (John 2:10-11 KJV)

Fact: Jesus Christ drank wine, not only at the Passover observance every year (and, as He said, will do again in the future after His return), but at other times as well, as stated in the Scriptures:

"And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is My blood of the New Testament [see also Covenant and Testament], which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's Kingdom" (Matthew 26:27-29 KJV) [see also "Thy Kingdom Come" - When?]
"The Son of man is come eating and drinking" (Luke 7:34 KJV)

Question: Jesus Christ never sinned, but moderately drank wine, even miraculously produced wine for others to consume on one occasion. How then can drinking alcohol be a sin?

Halleluyah!!

Pastor Alusi Okija!!
Tell them
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by mkmyers45(m): 12:53am On Apr 17, 2012
rastamouse:

Why will anyone drink alcohol, except for medicals reason?
Dude you consume ethanol (alcohol) everyday is it for medical reason? Mtswww
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by mkmyers45(m): 12:54am On Apr 17, 2012
cute08: Hw can a man of God see smokin n drinkin as no sin especially whn d bible ha stated vividly. Na waaa o
where in the bible?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by kasiem(m): 1:03am On Apr 17, 2012
do u guys still remember that jesus drank vine at the passover feast? what's vine, mineral or maltina?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by samcigar(m): 1:05am On Apr 17, 2012
i know quite alright u people knows how to discriminate someone. have u not read in the bible also that'NOT EVERYTHING THAT GOES IN DEFILES A MAN BUT THAT WHICH COMES OUT OF A MAN THAT DEFILES A MAN' for me i am a good smoker but some time drink little of drinks.
Pls, i will also like u doubters to read the book of paul which says'USE LITTLE OF ALCOHOL FOR THE STOMACH's SAKE'
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by DrKnow1(m): 1:20am On Apr 17, 2012
Those who brought christianity to Africa were chain smokers and drunken sailors; My fellow brothers open your eyes. Hell is here on earth, enjoy your puffing smoke and sapele water. God is in control, your place is assured in heaven.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Nickydrake(m): 1:39am On Apr 17, 2012
italo: Drinking alcohol is not as sin; getting drunk is.
As eating is not a sin but gluttony is.

Smoking is not necessarily a sin but its a bad habit.
As staying too close to the TV is not necessarily a sin but a bad habit.

When i got to the smoking part i half expected to see something like; Smoking is not a sin, but bursting into flames
is. grin

Well, you were smart enough to avoid writing something that silly, although the argument you opted for is about as ludicrous.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by ak4God(m): 2:02am On Apr 17, 2012
numo86: Is this post authentic??
If it is then its like chris needs some bible lessons...
Soon people can even smoke inside his church..
All this is just to drag more crazy fellows to his church...no discipline!!!!

Can you smoke in the present of your parent,in laws or inside examination hall?All these re morals and have nothing to do with SIN,ok?In the western world during winter,so many people smoke,cause of cold weather,can you say they re committing sin?Moreover,i think you know that the winter can kill many people,cause of the cold.So,pls dont bring morals,into biblical injuction.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Double194(m): 2:43am On Apr 17, 2012
wesley80:

So you think every smoker and drinker is going to hell and Christians working in such companies are also sinners? What Pastor Chris has said can only be called heresy by the naive as his point is pretty clear to the open minded. Like Apostle Paul said " all things are lawful unto me but I'll not be brought under the control of anything". Ponder on that.

I refuse to be misguided by his logic/heresies and ur incoherent quotation of the bible. The book of proverbs said "give only a fool wine to drink".
Now, let me explain why I think drinking and smoking is a sin. When U drink alchol, u desire more unconsciously (this is why U see a man downing 8 bottles of beer despite the fact that he has to stop and urinate and most times he feels uncomfortable hours later) this slowly grows to an addiction. When U smoke, U feel esctatic and only Nicotine gives that feeling, slowly U start getting addicted to Nicotine. This addiction slowly becomes a behavioural pattern deficiency (BPD) and starts creating cravings of the product and at this stage U can do anytin to have a stick of cigarette or a pint of beer. (u start worshipping beer/cigar unconsciously). Now remember that the book of Exodus said "and thou shall have no other god but me". slowly U have turned the pleasure from these materials to a life-line and now U worship them. Don't U tink U are disobeying God.?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by kunlekunle: 3:01am On Apr 17, 2012
the question was 'working in cigarette company'.

paul in the boble too was asked if it was right for xtians to eat meat. what meat?
people in biblical days used to sell excess meat in the market after the festival,
such meat was wrong for xtians to buy in the market some xtians claimed.
but paul said it does not matter, if you believe its wrong dont buy, if you believe its good it doesnt affect your xtianity.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by oroagba: 3:23am On Apr 17, 2012
1. I don't know if Pastor Chris actually said as reported. There is no source qouted.
2. Drinking is not a sin. As has been repeated over and over here, Jesus turned water into wine. If drinking wine is a sin the he wouldn't have done that. The drinking (just like any other thing) becomes a problem and sin when done in excess. Gluttony is a sin, eating moderately is not. The bible warned about drunkenness, so if you know you cannot habndle alcohol, don't drink.
3. Some Christians will assume "Heaven helps does who help themselves" is taken from the bible. But its not, rather its simply a popular saying. Many Christians confuse urban legends and popular beliefs to be biblical. We need to understand that there are various religious bodies and authorities out there even in ancient times, who have been twisting the truth and brainwashing the majority all in a bid to foster their personal philosophy and beliefs as divine truths. The Berean church was praised because they didn't swallow things without finding out the truth by themselves.
4. The only thing is that the message could've been delivered better. Some Christians are weak and tend to easily slip into excesses. So because of such people, it is perhaps better to say " Do not drink". Its better for them to be a teetotaler but make heaven. It is better to scare a young teenager that "if you have sex you will get pregnant" and thus protect her future withh that health fear than to give room for immorality because of the availability of contraceptives.

Paul warned that is it wrong for you to practice something that though is not a sin, but it can lead the weak to sin - I Cor 8:11 says "So this weak brother or sister--someone Christ died for--is lost because of your better understanding." (Easy to Read version)
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by berryberrymi(f): 4:45am On Apr 17, 2012
If he rily said this. Buh ma opioion is wen u smoke y du u smoke wen u drink y du u drink. See pple drink and get drunk and smoke tu get high mind u pple smoke diff tins. Wen u high n drunk wat happen. Ur prone tu say lewwd jokes du lewd stuff which r nat proper for christians. Dnt get it twisted and say tins tu accomadate bad stuffs. Y du pple say I used tu drink n smoke buh wen I got Born agsin the lord help mi stop. Wen u r a true christian there r smtimes ur body which is the temple of the holyspirit cannot accomodate no more.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by BabaEleko(m): 4:52am On Apr 17, 2012
[size=14pt]Thank you pastor Chris. You are my role model. I'm on my way to African Shrine now. Gotta get me a neatly rolled jombo ganja with alombo to marry it. I'm going to cloud 9 so say wat gwan to bros J. grin[/size]
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by mamagee3(f): 5:19am On Apr 17, 2012
Okay, that's Pastor Chris' opinion!!!

Everyone is entitled to theirs.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Emmysteve(m): 5:21am On Apr 17, 2012
afam4eva: Pastor Chris is right. Smoking and drinking is not wrong. Is there anywhere in the bible that says it is?
Must every thing be stated in the bible before you knw which is right or wrong?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by idkidk: 5:24am On Apr 17, 2012
All these are hebrew,latin,greek and so on mythology. Nigerians are killing themselves over other people's myth.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Nobody: 5:29am On Apr 17, 2012
His opinion, fullstop. Has anyone cared to reason out which wine the bible talked about? How can one say Jesus made ALCHOHOLIC drinks from water? Does the word wine directly mean achoholic? I really find the way some people twist bible verses to suit them size quite interesting. Seek the truth guys.

In the Bible, verses to show God approves of wine are speaking about unfermented juice. Verses that expose the evils of wine are speaking about intoxicating wine.

Genesis 9:20-26 - Noah became drunk; the result was immorality and family trouble.
Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.
Proverbs 4:17 - Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.
Proverbs 23:19-20 - A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.
1 Corinthians 6:10 - Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God
Thessalonians 5:6-7 - Christians are to be alert and self-controlled, belonging to the day. Drunkards belong to the night and darkness.

I understand what Pastor Chris wanted to say, but I do not think he said it well enough. The bible says it all, look into it and stop posting ignorant comments on nairaland please. cool
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Nobody: 5:36am On Apr 17, 2012
Okay....so while working on a rig that's very cold i shouldn't do some smokin??
Even in extremely cold regions??
Oyakhi is right on dis one.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Emmysteve(m): 5:57am On Apr 17, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Only TB joshua and chris seem to be talking these days,what about the other thievies ? i mean Adeboye and Oyedepo !
My brother becareful.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Emmysteve(m): 6:06am On Apr 17, 2012
What is the different between WINE and ALCOHOL?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by ifyan(m): 6:08am On Apr 17, 2012
I dn't thing it is a sin if taken prpali & at d rite tym. Incase U dn't knw doctor intruct their patient 2 smk 2 bun som pat of d orgn 2 mak it easy 4 operation. My bros u wil b surprise 4 wot u hav red. Now let me ask u in discase is it a sin.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by pastormmadu(m): 6:18am On Apr 17, 2012
Truly i cant c anytin bad in drinkim an smokin if nt 4 its effect wen abuse...cigarate causes cancer, YES! Wat of rice, cassava and starchy foods dat causes diabetes, wat of meat and proteneous foods dat causes hepatitis...i bliv its d abuse of anytin dat determines d advantage or disadvantage...4 alchol, i didnt c anywre in d scripture said dat drinkin is a sin rather getin drunk
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by texazzpete(m): 6:31am On Apr 17, 2012
ekwah: His opinion, fullstop. Has anyone cared to reason out which wine the bible talked about? How can one say Jesus made ALCHOHOLIC drinks from water? Does the word wine directly mean achoholic? I really find the way some people twist bible verses to suit them size quite interesting. Seek the truth guys.

In the Bible, verses to show God approves of wine are speaking about unfermented juice. Verses that expose the evils of wine are speaking about intoxicating wine.

Genesis 9:20-26 - Noah became drunk; the result was immorality and family trouble.
Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging.
Proverbs 4:17 - Alcoholic drink is called the wine of violence.
Proverbs 23:19-20 - A wise person will not be among the drinkers of alcoholic beverages.
1 Corinthians 6:10 - Drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God
Thessalonians 5:6-7 - Christians are to be alert and self-controlled, belonging to the day. Drunkards belong to the night and darkness.

I understand what Pastor Chris wanted to say, but I do not think he said it well enough. The bible says it all, look into it and stop posting ignorant comments on nairaland please. cool

Where does it say that the wine Jesus made from water was non alcoholic? For the guests to be praising it as the best wine they'd ever tasted, you just KNOW it was alcoholic. The Bible makes many references to wine from grapes. NOT grape juice.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Ibrowski(m): 6:33am On Apr 17, 2012
;DPastor chris........10x 4 clarifying issues>>>now I can drink & smoke as I like.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by ZUBY77(m): 6:35am On Apr 17, 2012
They are all very rich now. They can easily afford to be controversial. I warned Nigerians.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by maddock(m): 6:36am On Apr 17, 2012
Na wah so many folks looking for avenue to bash Pastor Chris and Pastor Chris played right into their hands (not that he cared anyway) .to be quoted out of content was the same reason Pastor Chris didn't really gave an answer during the last Q and A section about the the folk from pakistan or so asking if he doesn't want to disvorce his wife despite the fact that she cheats on him viz adultery. People tend to classify stuff as sin as a result of their side effect wen abused. If so then I guess Salt, sugar, meat,egg etc are also sin because thhey are detrimental to our health when abused. What about cough medicine that is taken as a cheap intoxicant in the north, so anybody that genuinely has cough and took cough medicine has altomatically committed sin because someone somewhere is abusing its usage? Comon guys we should draw a line between dirty habits and what is considered as a sin before God. Like someone said so because its not sinful to eat pounded yam so you would start swallowing big balls of pounded in the church of infront of your boss in the office when it is not a party? That's where decency comes to bear. To laugh is not a sin but please when next you are outside start laughing uncontrollablly and confronted by people just respond that laughing is not a sin. Or better still try defeacating in full glare of the public or did the bible day passing out of feaces is a SIN?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by Rakiai: 6:54am On Apr 17, 2012
When Lamuel's mother was advising him in Proverbs 31:4, she stated that it is not good for kings and princes to drink wine. Note that she did not say to get drunk but to drink wine. Before anyone asks, let me point out that we Christians are Princes in the Kingdom of GOD.Princes and kings are adviced not to take wine not becus its a sin, but for their duties to be discharged effectively

Paul also pointed to us that our bodies are the Temple of the LORD. Why must we defile it with alcohol and cigarette when the LORD intends to stay in our heart.

Alcohol and smoking is not for us Christians![/quote]
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by mrprestige(m): 6:57am On Apr 17, 2012
Taking Alcohol and Cigarette is never a SIN, it all depends on the mindset of the individual or individuals involved in it, if the r taking them to get drunk and act stupid, den it becomes a sin, no one condemns all dis things in the bible but the truth is, Too much of everytin is bad nd can be considered a sin on to God.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by gulfer: 7:06am On Apr 17, 2012
Goshen360: Thank you and God bless you. Somebody just need to tell Chris to stop these heresies he preaches everywhere. This is crazy.
Heresy
Re: Nothing Wrong With Alcohol, Cigarette – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome? <<Rumor?>> by dapo338(m): 7:23am On Apr 17, 2012
Sin or No sin! Can anybody define sin, What is Sin itself? Really taking alcohol doesn't qualifies u to be a sinner but not all people can take it moderately, they will surely abuse it and make it a habit which is a sin but as in cigaret, what good does it do to the body, there are more dangerous chemicals in it so how could that not make it a sin?

Ok, let's just accept these things are not sin, but it is right for a pastor to raise this talk because there is tendency that people will abuse it.....they say DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.....NOT DON'T GET DRUNK AND DRIVE...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Categories Of People That Will Never Fall During Anointing / Second amendment-> How do you find God, By intuition or by Logic? / “O Lord Cubana Me And Make Me Sit At Home” Church Poster Reads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.