Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,054 members, 7,939,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? (14153 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: 4 Methods Corrupt Nigerians Use To Steal Nigeria's Money / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 12:31am On May 02, 2012
The Right Honourable Sir Winston Churchill.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 12:35am On May 02, 2012
The Right Honourable
Sir John Major KG CH ACIB
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 12:44am On May 02, 2012
It's too late at night for me to go find the book, but Lord Lugard wrote a whole section on styles, titles and protocol in one of his political memos. It included things, such as, how traditional rulers and British officials should be addressed, who is entitled to sit on a chair, who should sit on a raised platform, etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by manny4life(m): 2:03am On May 02, 2012
odumchi:

Actually it is. Once a person becomes a qualified engineer he or she earns the title 'Engr' just as a medical student would earn 'Dr'. In fact, I have a relative who answers 'Engr'.

NO it is not a title but an attache just like you have CMA, CPA, CTP, and the list continues. Just because you're qualified in engineering doesn't mean you manufacture a title "Engr", what I was told is that you have earned the "right" as an engineer. The only time where titles are required is for instance if you're in the military, it's appropriate to use "Captain" "Major" or "General". Also people who have earn the title "Dr." can also use the title, but as for engr, esq, et al rubbish is just plain ignorance and stupid.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 2:13am On May 02, 2012
"HONORABLE GENERAL"

LMAO!!!! Watch from time 4:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAdZ8d2u0G0
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 2:26am On May 02, 2012
Esquire (abbreviated Esq.)[1] is a term of West European origin. In Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it is a title of respect previously accorded to men of higher social rank,[2] but which has since come to be used, with no precise significance, as a general courtesy title for any man in a formal context.[3][4] Esquire is cognate with the word squire, which originally meant an apprentice or assistant to a knight. The title "Esquire" has been used continuously since it was created in the distant past in Europe and many uses continue uninterrupted today. For example, in the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem, "Esquire" is the most junior title. In the United States, the suffix Esq. most commonly designates individuals licensed to practice law, and may be used by both men and women.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by odumchi: 6:39am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Unfortunately, Engr. does not exist. Just don't argue that.

Lol grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 6:49am On May 02, 2012
but if I go school earn my PhD, then I deserved to be called Dr. Bleep? But madness if I get promoted to Professorship position and get addresses as Prof(Dr). Bleep?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 6:52am On May 02, 2012
cogitoErgo: but if I go school earn my PhD, then I deserved to be called Dr. Bleep? But madness if I get promoted to Professorship position and get addresses as Prof(Dr). Bleep?

My professor has made it clear from day 1 that if we email him without adding " Dr" to his handle, he won't reply. "Dear Dr. . . " lawd have mercy!!
I find that very obnoxious, tbh. Dr Pangolo.
I work with another professor who is widely known in his field, yet he's not as obnoxious. And has more research done with effective result.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 7:51am On May 02, 2012
odumchi:

Actually it is. Once a person becomes a qualified engineer he or she earns the title 'Engr' just as a medical student would earn 'Dr'. In fact, I have a relative who answers 'Engr'.

Titles awarded by institutions due to merit but not used in correspondence:

Chief Scout (The Scout Association), the head of The Scout Association,

Queen's Scout title conferred upon a scout upon achieving highest attainable award achievable in the Scouting movement

Queen's Guide title conferred upon a guide upon highest attainable award for members of the Girl Guiding movement

Eagle Scout, the highest rank attainable in the BSA, can be held as a title for life giving rise to the phrase "Once an Eagle, always an Eagle."

Senior Grecian, Tolly-keeper, and various other fraternal school titles

Engineer, professional qualifications such as Chartered Engineer, European Engineer, Incorporated Engineer, and Professional Engineer

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 9:49am On May 02, 2012
Reminds me of when I once met folawiyo and he was addressed as '' Alhaji Doctor Abdul-wahab Folawiyo OFR,CFR,Baba Adini of Nigeria cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Godmann(m): 9:54am On May 02, 2012
We are simple EMPTY VESSELS that make the biggest noises.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by lyricalpontiff(m): 9:56am On May 02, 2012
TB Joshua: Chelsea will win Champions League trophy Temitope Balogun Joshua popularly known as Prophet TB Joshua has prophesied that English Giants Chelsea
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ballabriggs: 10:00am On May 02, 2012
[size=30pt]Of course especially Igbo people. Example, HRH EZE PROFESSOR CHUKA OKONKWO. HABA in an academic setting![/size]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 10:03am On May 02, 2012
lyricalpontiff: TB Joshua: Chelsea will win Champions League trophy Temitope Balogun Joshua popularly known as Prophet TB Joshua has prophesied that English Giants Chelsea

I know that already. . . . .so i dont need joshua prophecy on this. tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ckkris: 10:07am On May 02, 2012
1.PRESIDENT Ibrahim Papangida, FSC, etc
2. Field Marshal Idi Amin
3. PROFESSOR,ARCH BISHOP B Idahosa
3. Aare Ona K, ITT
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 10:07am On May 02, 2012
odumchi:

Bursted, it is not grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ckkris: 10:12am On May 02, 2012
If Chelsea lose this match the man will have to hide in Maidugiri.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:15am On May 02, 2012
That thing sucks. Some people even use titles like Most Venerable, His Holiness, Bishop, Rev, Pastor, Evang, Dr. Aminu Bamidele Chukwudi (ABC). Lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ckkris: 10:24am On May 02, 2012
And MOST REVEREND is the identity of the almighty God.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ckkris: 10:24am On May 02, 2012
And MOST REVEREND is the identity of the almighty God. Psalm 111:9
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Koolking(m): 10:31am On May 02, 2012
Some Nigerians believe people tremble at the hearing of their titles. They use titles to cheat and intimidate especially our police men and women. I dont understand why someone should be addressed as Highest High Chief Dr. Umuokoro Okeke Okeke Sampson 1 - the Owanetidora 1 of Nkodiland) Geez! wtf does that mean. Am I suppose to be intimidated by that?

Some nigerians are damn too comical!!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by xzit(m): 10:56am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Chief supersedes Dr. so the person should be addressed simply as Chief Bleep

On the contrary, 'Chief' doesn't supersede 'Dr', 'Chief' is a traditional title while 'Dr' is an academic title so Chief (Dr) Bleep is not out of place...notice that Dr is bracketed to show that the person is a respected elder as well as an academician.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by mikron(m): 11:02am On May 02, 2012
well to be fair we like too many titles before our name but as long as the person is not complaining why should you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 11:09am On May 02, 2012
odumchi: @ Obiagu

I think it's more of a 'statement maker' than anything. People who answer Dr, Engr, Esq, and etc deserve to be properly recognized for their work because it's not easy to spend x amount of years studying in a university. Let's give honor to who honor is due.

An Igbo proverb goes, let one answer what he was appointed.
God bless u bro
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 02, 2012
naptu2: Inherited from the British, eg, General (Sir) Peter Edgar de la Cour de la Billière. Field Marshal, The Right Honourable Bernard Law Montgomery,
The Viscount Montgomery of Alamein
KG GCB DSO PC. The Right Honourable Tony Blair.
preach on bro
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dailynigerian: 11:14am On May 02, 2012
interesting
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by rman: 11:20am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

In Nigeria, if you are NSE and COREN certified, you can be referred to as "Engr"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 11:21am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Is Eng. or Engr. a title? Let me know your level of exposure smiley

Whats your level of Education, Engr is not but barrister and Dr are titles
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by ndidibabe(f): 11:29am On May 02, 2012
Thiss thread just reminded me of the masturbating man of god, Rev (Dr) .........
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 11:46am On May 02, 2012
Funny we Nigerians love big titles and they have to be written correctly. I'll give two real life examples.

Former Deputy Govoernor of Lagos state was addressed as Princess (Mrs) Sarah Sosan. Haba, what is Princess (Mrs)

A family friend was mad at his daughter who was getting married. Reason was that, on the wedding IV he was referred to as:

Chief Engr Bleep XXXXXX when it should have been Engr, Chief Bleep XXXXX. You should have seen how angry he was. He even threathened not to come for the wedding. Engr Chief indeed.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by 2good(m): 11:46am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

I did my masters degree in the Netherlands, where my professors are addressed as Ir. Professor XXXXX when they want to give a presentation. But they are generally addressed as just Professor or Dr. The Ir is abbreviation of Ingenieur which is Engineer in Dutch. Also every engineering graduate in the Netherlands is addressed as Ir XXXX and infact there is Ir. in your Engineering certificate, so it is not a Nigerian thing. Alot of people don't use it because of choice but it is a right to use it once you earn it. A PhD holder for example spend around 10 years of his/her life in the university (from BSc through PhD) studying something and for that reason deserved to be recognised for their contribution to academics and research.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fg May Sack Workers In NCAA, Others Over Bulletproof Cars / Adelphine Ajoke Okupe Buried. Doyin Okupe Buries His Mother / Asiwaju Tinubu : The Limits Of Political Influence By Joseph Edgar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.