Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,670 members, 7,882,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 08:13 PM

Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? (14062 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: 4 Methods Corrupt Nigerians Use To Steal Nigeria's Money / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 5:01pm On May 02, 2012
Mmuo Okija: What is all this now na, biko nu!!

In the UK this, in the US that. . . . In the US their is no such thing as tying wrapper, does that mean we shouldnt tie wrapper?!

In the U.S their is no such thing as Ichie, does that mean that we should have iches?!

In Frace their is no such thing as Ozo, does that make my Ozo title null and void?!!

Just because you have VISA to go to obodo oyibo, you have forgotten the ways of your forefathers!! If you dont like to be addressed by your achievments, please go ahead, but you must address me as Okosisi!! because I am not a small boy!!

LOL, Eze Mmuo, you're an exception. You full titles MUST be written. You remain Chief, Dr., Deacon, Engr., Eze Mmuo, Ichie OKIJA Juju (The Agu ji egbe 1 of Nairaland, Ome ka nnaya 1 of Nri and Okosisi dachiri uzo 1 of Nnewi) GCON, BSc, MSc, NNPC & GCE.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 5:02pm On May 02, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I don't think this is about creativity or originality.

Calling oneself "Architect" or "Engineer" does sound ridiculous and pompous.

If Mr. Johnson got an undergraduate degree in biology from Harvard, he still wouldn't/shouldn't call himself or introduce himself as "Biologist Johnson". He should/would get a doctorate and then call himself Dr. Johnson. That's the simple truth that this thread is pointing out.

Thank you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Afam4eva(m): 5:04pm On May 02, 2012
Nigerians like titles a lot and we learned it from the British.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 5:14pm On May 02, 2012
afam4eva: Nigerians like titles a lot and we learned it from the British.

This is what I'm pointing out. Now, what sounds pompous is subjective. Ola Balogun has a doctorate degree, but he refuses to be addressed as " Dr ".

My argument is with the use of "Nigerians" in the thread title. Pompous people who give themselves titles exist everywhere (eg, Bokassa and Idi Amin).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by MmuoOkija: 5:15pm On May 02, 2012
afam4eva: Nigerians like titles a lot and we learned it from the British.

Yes o!!

Nwanna kedu?! longtime!!

I je' travel to overs?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Afam4eva(m): 5:17pm On May 02, 2012
naptu2:

This is what I'm pointing out. Now, what sounds pompous is subjective. Ola Balogun has a doctorate degree, but he refuses to be addressed as " Dr " (eg, Bokassa and Idi Amin).

My argument is with the use of "Nigerians" in the thread title. Pompous people who give themselves titles exist everywhere.
You're right. But it's very common with Nigerians and this is a Nigerian forum you know.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Afam4eva(m): 5:18pm On May 02, 2012
Mmuo Okija:

Yes o!!

Nwanna kedu?! longtime!!

I je' travel to overs?
O boy i still dey "Federal republic of fresh air", though i'm looking for an escape route.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by MmuoOkija: 5:29pm On May 02, 2012
afam4eva:
O boy i still dey "Federal republic of fresh air", though i'm looking for an escape route.

O.k o!!

ji si ike!!

Obele oge, Ife nine' ga di mma.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 5:32pm On May 02, 2012
So whereas, in Nigeria the Chief Justice is Known as Chief Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais (CJN), in England the Chief Justice is known as The Right Honourable
(The Lord Judge) Igor Judge, Baron Judge (PC), Lord Chief Justice and President of the Courts of England and Wales.

Whereas in England an engineer may be known as Mr David, in Nigeria he is addressed as Engineer David (see below).

The decree specifies the abbreviation to be used by each cadre as follows:

A Registered Engineer shall use the abbreviation "Engr" before his name

A Registered Engineering Technologists shall use the abbreviation "Engn. Tech" after his name.

A Registered Engineering Technician shall use the abbreviation "Tech" after his name.

A Registered Engineering Craftsman shall use his full title "Craftsman" with his trade in bracket under his name.

http://coren.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=83
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On May 02, 2012
Mmuo Okija:

O.k o!!

ji si ike!!

Obele oge, Ife nine' ga di mma.
Hopefully.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2012
naptu2: So whereas, in Nigeria the Chief Justice is Known as Chief Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais (CJN), in England the Chief Justice is known as The Right Honourable
(The Lord Judge) Igor Judge, Baron Judge (PC), Lord Chief Justice and President of the Courts of England and Wales.

Whereas in England an engineer may be known as Mr David, in Nigeria he is addressed as Engineer David (see below).

The decree specifies the abbreviation to be used by each cadre as follows:

A Registered Engineer shall use the abbreviation "Engr" before his name

A Registered Engineering Technologists shall use the abbreviation "Engn. Tech" after his name.

A Registered Engineering Technician shall use the abbreviation "Tech" after his name.

A Registered Engineering Craftsman shall use his full title "Craftsman" with his trade in bracket under his name.

http://coren.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=83

Same as:
A registered Nurse shall use the abbreviation "Nur" before his name.
A registered Economist shall use the abbreviation "Eco" before his name.
A registered Teacher shall use the abbreviation "Tch" before his name.
A registered Surveyor shall use the abbreviation "Surv" before his name.
A registered Geologist shall use the abbreviation "Geol" before his name.
A registered Accountant shall use the abbreviation "Acc" before his name.
A registered Chemist shall use the abbreviation "Chem" before his name.
A registered Pharmacist shall use the abbreviation "Pharm" before his name.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 5:45pm On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Same as:
A registered Nurse shall use the abbreviation "Nur" before his name.
A registered Economist shall use the abbreviation "Eco" before his name.
A registered Teacher shall use the abbreviation "Tch" before his name.
A registered Surveyor shall use the abbreviation "Surv" before his name.
A registered Geologist shall use the abbreviation "Geol" before his name.
A registered Accountant shall use the abbreviation "Acc" before his name.
A registered Chemist shall use the abbreviation "Chem" before his name.
A registered Pharmacist shall use the abbreviation "Pharm" before his name.

Only if it's permitted by law.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 5:49pm On May 02, 2012
It's called culture shock. grin What obtains in one place may not be the same as what obtains in another.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 6:06pm On May 02, 2012
naptu2:

Only if it's permitted by law.

Ignorance is ignorance, you don't go about with what you studied at the university attached before your name!
All we do is glorify ignorance and it's so embarrassing.
The only ones that use titles are Doctorate degree holders irrespective of profession. Now the little exception is medical doctors, dentists etc who, in most countries, actually graduate with a doctorate degree (such as MD) as their first degree in medicine. Some countries' medical students graduate with a bachelors degree (such as MBBS) as their first degree and that's where the exception comes since they go with the title Dr. as well.

Clear your eyes!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 6:12pm On May 02, 2012
Ok, so why the exception for medical doctors?

Also, if I may ask, ignorance of what?

Lastly, someone on this thread stated that, where he is at the moment (I believe it's in Holland. I'll find the quote) engineers use the prefix iec before their name. Is that also ignorance?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 6:14pm On May 02, 2012
naptu2: Ok, so why the exception for medical doctors?

Also, if I may ask, ignorance of what?

Lastly, someone on this thread stated that, where he is at the moment (I believe it's in Holland. I'll find the quote) engineers use the prefix iec before their name. Is that also ignorance?

If you read my post well, you would have seen that I wrote medical students graduate with a doctorate degree as their first degree in medicine. Maybe out of uniformity, those countries whose first degree in medicine is bachelors also go with Dr. It's not because they are "nicknamed" doctors.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 6:17pm On May 02, 2012
2good:

I did my masters degree in the Netherlands, where my professors are addressed as Ir. Professor XXXXX when they want to give a presentation. But they are generally addressed as just Professor or Dr. The Ir is abbreviation of Ingenieur which is Engineer in Dutch. Also every engineering graduate in the Netherlands is addressed as Ir XXXX and infact there is Ir. in your Engineering certificate, so it is not a Nigerian thing. Alot of people don't use it because of choice but it is a right to use it once you earn it. A PhD holder for example spend around 10 years of his/her life in the university (from BSc through PhD) studying something and for that reason deserved to be recognised for their contribution to academics and research.

Is that ignorance?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 6:23pm On May 02, 2012
I've told you you speak English. Do your research.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 6:25pm On May 02, 2012
duate with a doctorate degree as their first degree in medicine. Maybe out of uniformity, those countries whose first degree in medicine is bachelors also go with Dr. It's not because they are called "nicknamed" doctors.

Right, so maybe because Nigeria wants to be "uniform" with Holland, that's why Nigerian engineers have the title. By the way, they are given that title by law (now an act of parliament), it's not a "nickname".
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 6:26pm On May 02, 2012
naptu2: duate with a doctorate degree as their first degree in medicine. Maybe out of uniformity, those countries whose first degree in medicine is bachelors also go with Dr. It's not because they are called "nicknamed" doctors.

Right, so maybe because Nigeria wants to be "uniform" with Holland, that's why Nigerian engineers have the title. By the way, they are given that title by law (now an act of parliament), it's not a "nickname".

A beg move on, you're so ignorant!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Confusion: 6:27pm On May 02, 2012
it is obvious that the poster of this thread is very confused

Please go and carry out more research beyond your country of abode before coming here to say naija is this or that.
there are so many countries that go with other complex titles before thier names
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 6:31pm On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

A beg move on, you're so ignorant!

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Bossman(m): 6:54pm On May 02, 2012
I will not get into a war of words with you. Use the thread/forum tools at your disposal if you need to find out more about me.

Mmuo Okija:

Are an American or are you there on a 40day tourist Visa?! And why do you have a problem with Nigerian Engineers?!! undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by madprof(m): 6:59pm On May 02, 2012
kokoA: When I was in the university a lecturer once walked me out of his office and warned me never to step a foot there again. What was my offence? I addressed him as 'Mr' .. But I never knew he had compeleted his doctorate degree then. For naija title na serious mata o.

Had the same experience.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:04pm On May 02, 2012
Kilode?!:

Chief. Engr. Dr. Mrs. Forexologist, Otun Iyalode of Lagos Naijababe. DS.c Ph.d Cantab, FNIE, IIEE, IIE, FIET, MBA, OFR. PSI.
Iba! grin

Abeg help me add
OON, G.C.E.,H.I.V ...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:14pm On May 02, 2012
odumchi: @ Obiagu

I think it's more of a 'statement maker' than anything. People who answer Dr, Engr, Esq, and etc deserve to be properly recognized for their work because it's not easy to spend x amount of years studying in a university. Let's give honor to who honor is due.

An Igbo proverb goes, let one answer what he was appointed.

odumchi, 'onye obula za nke ochi'
is that to say that a man that has taken three titles will be dressed by the three title names at once? Certainly not where i come from. He answers one at a time but mostly the most recent or highest of the titles.
Let the content of your head be known through your actions, intelligence and decision making not by how many hours it takes to write ur name.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:16pm On May 02, 2012
emiye: A form of filling up the gap created by inferiority complex

u too much jare
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On May 02, 2012
General Professor Master Kollington Ayinla (Kebe n Kwara)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by manuch(m): 7:40pm On May 02, 2012
The bottom line Nigerians love titles
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:42pm On May 02, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: That thing sucks. Some people even use titles like Most Venerable, His Holiness, Bishop, Rev, Pastor, Evang, Dr. Aminu Bamidele Chukwudi (ABC). Lol

guy, i no gree this one
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:45pm On May 02, 2012
Koolking: Some Nigerians believe people tremble at the hearing of their titles. They use titles to cheat and intimidate especially our police men and women. I dont understand why someone should be addressed as Highest High Chief Dr. Umuokoro Okeke Okeke Sampson 1 - the Owanetidora 1 of Nkodiland) Geez! wtf does that mean. Am I suppose to be intimidated by that?

Some nigerians are damn too comical!!!!

i can feel you shivering through my phone...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 8:02pm On May 02, 2012
Mmuo Okija: What is the meaning of this useless thread?!

I am Chief, Dr., Deacon, Engr., Eze Mmuo, Ichie OKIJA Juju (The Agu ji egbe 1 of Nairaland, Ome ka nnaya 1 of Nri and Okosisi dachiri uzo 1 of Nnewi) GCON, BSc, MSc, NNPC & GCE.

So?! What makes it silly!!? If you dont have any achievements that you can add to your name then I'm sorry you have been wasting your life up till now. . . By the end of the year, when I return from Mecca, I will add Alhaji to my titles.

Nwanne, odika ndi'a pia gi itali mmuo (seun na nwunye ya m...a)
biko gwa ha rapu 'okija juju' tupu iwe ewe ndi be anyi :-D
mana ofu Onye adighi mma iza aha nile'a oh.
Odighi mma ma ncha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SDP Denies Endorsing Buhari / Nigerias Democratic Moments (in Pictures) / FIRS N1.4bn Refreshment Budget Reckless, Insensitive –TI, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.