Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,332 members, 7,884,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 02:26 PM

Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. (18136 Views)

Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) / How Aregbesola Turned Osun To A Construction Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

You've just painted a fatalistic situation because all the things you've mentioned- electricity and transportation aren't in the control capacity of Ekiti as a state. Investors always seeks areas with best ROI. Investors would rather build power stations in Lagos state for proximity to markets and in the Niger Delta for proximity to Gas. Its only when these areas have experienced saturation that investors would start thinking of areas like Ekiti. It is the reality. The cost of building electricity infrastructure is enormous, hence unless there is adequate economic incentive, no investor would expend a dime building power stations in Ekiti. The state Government on the other hand doesn't have the financila capacity to make that happen.

About transportation to the coast, that's under the purview of the Feds. So if the PDP led Govt in Abuja keeps messing up, then be sure that Ekiti is making no progress. Which makes the case a fatalistic one because none of the recommendations you've made are within the control of Ekiti as a State. So if you want something Ekiti has leverage over, Agribusiness is about the only option. And by the way, the two largest employers of labour in most societies are Agriculture and construction upon which you can build a viable services industry.

You talk as if these things are ordained by God and cannot be changed. The amount of money wasted on corruption, even in poor states like Ekiti is enough for any serious government to transform their states and built the necessary infrastructures to support businesses and development. If other countries are getting serious and lifting their poeple out of poverty, why are we always finding one reason and another to remain the same!
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PapaBrowne(m): 6:11pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear:

Ah. So the point is, we don't need them to build a power plant in Ekiti State. We just lay wire to the closest plant in a nearby state and purchase electricity from them.

Agriculture is the largest employer of labor in the third world, yes. But presumably people want to do more than subsistence farming, like their ancestors did grin

In industrialized and industrializing societies, agriculture [/b]employs a miniscule fraction of the work force. I doubt if even 0.1% of the US's population is involved in [b]agriculture [/b]directly..it is some tiny fraction.

More to the point, agric at a non-subsistence level doesn't create many jobs. So if Ekiti's goal is to create employment ([b]quality employment
I should perhaps clarify, not subsistence farming), agric is not the path towards that objective.

There was a reason I used the word AgriBusiness as against Agriculture. They are two very different things. Agribusiness covers the entire value chain and is actually a very good way to improve light manufacturing. Agribusiness covers research, farming, leasing, supply chain management, light manufacturing and a host of other element.
Just to put things in perspective , let me give you employment figures by sector in countries we should aspire to emulate;
China: Agric-49%,Industry-22%, Services-29%
Brazil: Agric-20% Industry-22%, Services-66%
Turkey: Agric: 35%,Industry-22% Services-41%
India: Agric: 60%, Industry-17%, Services-23%.

Interestingly, even in the most developed countries, it is the services that carries the day and not industry. Industrialization is good, but as it stands today, we don't have comparative advantage. For light manufacturing, maybe yes. For big time industry we need know-how and we need steel and a developed petrochemical sector. Without these three factors, there is no possibility of industrialization. It would only remain a tall dream.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

There was a reason I used the word AgriBusiness as against Agriculture. They are two very different things. Agribusiness covers the entire value chain and is actually a very good way to improve light manufacturing. Agribusiness covers research, farming, leasing, supply chain management, light manufacturing and a host of other element.
Just to put things in perspective , let me give you employment figures by sector in countries we should aspire to emulate;

Interestingly, even in the most developed countries, it is the services that carries the day and not industry. Industrialization is good, but as it stands today, we don't have comparative advantage. For light manufacturing, maybe yes. For big time industry we need know-how and we need steel and a developed petrochemical sector. Without these three factors, there is no possibility of industrialization. It would only remain a tall dream.

The expose by the bolded parts is shocking and laudable.. Agribusiness is definitely the way forward for states like Osun, Ekiti, and Oyo states.

1 Like

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by horny4u(f): 6:25pm On May 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My friend, the article is on the official website of Ekiti State. You are just showing ignorance if you do not know that even in the West no Government department is obligated to supply any pictures to anyone. They will however provide regular updates of work being done .

This is , for example, why you won't find any pictures of the superb drainage project carried out in the Bode-Thomas-Eric-Moore axis of Lagos by Julius Berger recently. Of course fellow haters like you came here to say Fashola is a "liar" who has not carried out one single drainage project in Lagos till I supplied my own personal pictures to prove otherwise. Djustice, a known hater of Fashola who claimed the Lagos Governor was just "chopping", was stunned . See the pictures yourself and trawl the net to see if you can find them anywhere else proving my point that no one is obligated to supply pictures to prove anything to mischief makers like you. The drainage is built for me as a Lagosian living in that area. I therefore don't need any silly pictures when I have my eyes same as Ekiti folks lose nothing over your biased cynicism:

https://www.nairaland.com/826649/what-big-deal-about-fashola/1

In Nigeria, the style is to make vague allusions to work carried out. Administrators never mention specific names because , even if not obvious to you, the silly example you give of proliferation of smartphones makes you look very dull. If SW PDP can resort to wild fabrication and outright lies, would the ACN not be playing into their hands mentioning actual roads if indeed there is no construction going on and everything is a "big fat lie" as you conclude? Oni, smarting from Fayemi ousting him, and lying through his teeth daily will miss the chance to mobilise a camera crew to ridicule Fayemi? You are not very smart.

In any case, why is it that you guys not from the SW are keen to ruin every thread with your silly demand for pictures these days? Why don't you let indigenes speak before you open your mouth to begin yapping nonsensically? It works both ways because if you live in Ekiti you can simply go to many of the sites and prove no work is ongoing. If you don't feel obligated to do that in proving your case why , inversely, should the onus fall on anyone to provide you with pictures when, ultimately, you don't matter at all since you are not from Ekiti State?

Go and check Fayemi's history to see he is no conman like many of your political heroes. Anyway, we have heard you. Can you now go and face your own issues abeg. They are talking of roads and you are showing an elevated picture of a town. What confirms your mischief, driven by bias, more than that?

http://ekitistate.gov.ng/2012/05/fayemi-turning-ekiti-into-huge-construction-site/

Please for your kids sake : stop this foolishness...how can you say a Govt is not obligated to supply pictures of the huge construction site but they can write about it abi and give pubilicity to the write up....
A a pic is forever worth a thousand words
Isssss not good o....think about kids future....

2 Likes

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by horny4u(f): 6:29pm On May 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

What has Fashola got to do with Fayemi or Ekiti State? Fashola is Fashola and Fayemi is Fayemi. The fact that they are both of ACN doesn't in anyway make Fashola and Fayemi the same, neither does it make Lagos and Ekiti the same.
Lari03 has provided a pretty embarrassing set of pictures that serve only to do damage to your article. So if you have better pictures to support your article I would gladly erase the assumption I already have that this is just another attempt, albeit unprofessionally, at misinforming the very gullible public!!

There is a reason why no pics have still surfaced....but you will not hear it from me...
Just let us read the story ..digest it and pretend to be foolish...
propaganda no ni

1 Like

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ijigbamigb(m): 6:33pm On May 05, 2012
Coefficient:

Please save yourself the stress of uploading any pictures. I am a son of the soil in Ekiti and infact I have people working in the system right there. I became disenchanted with Fayemi's administration since he mooted the idea of turning that beautiful edifice serving as governor's office to a 'BROTHEL' or hotel if you like. Fayemi is busy wasting the scare resources in Ekiti. What has become of the beautification project till today? Ado township looks horrible, the roads are bad and he's coming here to advertise road repairs which is no achievement to me! It is part of a basic duties of a governor to ensure good roads, portable water and other basic amenities that makes life easier for the citizenry! You don't blow your own trumpet! He has been only busy embarking on white elephant projects. He's no better than his predecessor, Segun Oni. I am no loyalist of any political organisation but I want the best for the state and not just vague projects that have no direct impact on the life of the people!

Brother don't forget your state is the number 34th on the revenue sharing table and your igr is not up to what Lagos state spends on it high courts. (300m monthly)
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 6:38pm On May 05, 2012
ijigbamigb:

Brother don't forget your state is the number 34th on the revenue sharing table and your igr is not up to what Lagos state spends on it high courts. (300m monthly)

The very fact that the state is 34th(35th by my last check) is reason why money should be spent on projects that really count. Building roads(same thing the last administration also pretended to do by the way) is not all there is to developing a state. Take a drive up to one of em remote northern states. There are good roads there but not much else to write home about.
In fact, it does nothing to development if other investments are not made. That was the problem much of this same area had back in the 80's and 90s. Every Governor that came in built roads and not much else.

Only the other day, I read there are plans for an international airport in the same state. Really?? ? sad sad
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 6:40pm On May 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

1. First of all, the trend is what is important. I can guarantee you that most of the job growth in those countries has not been in agric. It is a bit silly to say that because 49% of China's current employment is in agriculture, that their best bet would be to focus on that. Instead, they've been focusing on something else since the 90s..

Why don't you pull up the statistics for what fraction of employment those sectors contributed to China's economy in 1990 versus today. Why not also display growth across sectors as well...that tells the direction of growth rather than your snapshot.

2. OK, so you want agribusiness, not agric. You want "the entire value chain." Of the part of the value chain you mentioned, the only part which will create lots of jobs is light manufacturing. Now, as you know, it is impossible to manufacture anything at competitive prices w/o access to affordable electricity. So your argument is nonsensical...you are shouting "agric", but the only part which will actually create mass employment is the one that requires electricity, as I said.

3. Services are fine for post-industrial countries like the USA and many European countries. Where labor is extremely expensive. But it absolute folly to advocate that a third world country somehow skip over industrialization into services.

4. Why on earth would you bring up heavy industry? Who in this thread is mentioning it? Look, we don't need to (nor is it realistic) be manufacturing aircraft carriers in Ekiti State tomorrow. However, it is quite realistic for to for example get into textiles. Peanut butter factories. Rice mills. Chocolate factories. Taiwan and Singapore started from relatively low-tech light industry/manufacturing, and we can do the same.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Ejine(m): 6:40pm On May 05, 2012
So, you guys are saying this is propaganda? undecided
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 6:46pm On May 05, 2012
Ekiti's best bet as far as development goes is to listen to people who think like I do. Not those who are suggesting agric or services as panacea or something.

Simply put, neither of those dogs will hunt.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 05, 2012
[/b]
ekt_bear:

1. First of all, the trend is what is important. I can guarantee you that most of the job growth in those countries has [b]not
been in agric. It is a bit silly to say that because 49% of China's current employment is in agriculture, that their best bet would be to focus on that. Instead, they've been focusing on something else since the 90s..

Why don't you pull up the statistics for what fraction of employment those sectors contributed to China's economy in 1990 versus today. Why not also display growth across sectors as well...that tells the direction of growth rather than your snapshot.

2. OK, so you want agribusiness, not agric. You want "the entire value chain." Of the part of the value chain you mentioned, the only part which will create lots of jobs is light manufacturing. Now, as you know, it is impossible to manufacture anything at competitive prices w/o access to affordable electricity. So your argument is nonsensical...you are shouting "agric", but the only part which will actually create mass employment is the one that requires electricity, as I said.

3. Services are fine for post-industrial countries like the USA and many European countries. Where labor is extremely expensive. But it absolute folly to advocate that a third world country somehow skip over industrialization into services.

4. Why on earth would you bring up heavy industry? Who in this thread is mentioning it? Look, we don't need to (nor is it realistic) be manufacturing aircraft carriers in Ekiti State tomorrow. However, it is quite realistic for to for example get into textiles. Peanut butter factories. Rice mills. Chocolate factories. Taiwan and Singapore started from relatively low-tech light industry/manufacturing, and we can do the same.
ekt_bear:

1. First of all, the trend is what is important. I can guarantee you that most of the job growth in those countries has [b]not
been in agric. It is a bit silly to say that because 49% of China's current employment is in agriculture, that their best bet would be to focus on that. Instead, they've been focusing on something else since the 90s..

[/b]
ekt_bear:

1. First of all, the trend is what is important. I can guarantee you that most of the job growth in those countries has not been in agric. It is a bit silly to say that because 49% of China's current employment is in agriculture, that their best bet would be to focus on that. Instead, they've been focusing on something else since the 90s..

Gem! Right on point.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 6:54pm On May 05, 2012
Being 35th in the revenue sharing table is a disadvantage, but not a tremendous one, for the following reasons:

1. First, Ekiti is a relatively small state.
2. Even with no additional improvement in revenue, what currently exists can be spent more wisely.
3. If you are spending 50%+ of your budget on capital expenditure, it will pay off tremendously in the future.
4. IGR can be increased.
5. Most importantly, the things that Ekiti needs beyond roads, we'll need to partner with the private sector to get anyways. So not having much cash on hand isn't necessarily a disadvantage. If/when the FG completely deregulates power, it won't cost much money to set up an industrial park in eastern Ekiti State and power it with electricity from Dangote's Obanaja cement plant in nearby Kogi State, for example. The government's job will be to facilitate for the private sector and lead it in the right direction, not dole out cash.

All it takes is vision. Something that Fayemi possibly lacks, admittedly.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear: Being 35th in the revenue sharing table is a disadvantage, but not a tremendous one, for the following reasons:

2. Even with no additional improvement in revenue, what currently exists can be spent more wisely.
3. If you are spending 50%+ of your budget on capital expenditure, it will pay off tremendously in the future.
4. IGR can be increased.
5. Most importantly, the things that Ekiti needs beyond roads, we'll need to partner with the private sector to get anyways. So not having much cash on hand isn't necessarily a disadvantage. If/when the FG completely deregulates power, it won't cost much money to set up an industrial park in eastern Ekiti State and power it with electricity from Dangote's Obanaja cement plant in nearby Kogi State, for example. The government's job will be to facilitate for the private sector and lead it in the right direction, not dole out cash.

Why do you think he lacks vision?
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear: Being 35th in the revenue sharing table is a disadvantage, but not a tremendous one, for the following reasons:

4. IGR can be increased.

Are you sure he is not doing 4&5 already. you are not in Nigeria, you don't watch the local news its not every thing the media places on the internet.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear:

You keep talking about industralization, and privatization - but how can a state like Ekiti lure private investors to the state? It's easy on paper - but the practicality is the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, Ekiti is a rural/farming state - and the governor should focus on the agric sector for now, since that's easiest and most practical way to increase the GDP of the state. Kwara state, which is obviously a more advanced state than Ekiti state - started off with agribusiness, and the state is thriving now (at least better than many states in Nigeria).

The truth is that private investors would only invest in a place where they can maximize their profits (you should know that because you're an extreme capitalist grin) - and I doubt Ekiti can provide that.

I'm tired of state governors going to places like Kosovo, and Oman (Okorocha of Imo state) - to seek meaningless private investments.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On May 05, 2012
lari03:
Are you sure he is not doing 4&5 already. you are not in Nigeria, you don't watch the local news its not every thing the media places on the internet.

Knock, Knock!! Reality Check . . . .

You do not need to be in Nigeria to know if IGR is increasing, or not increasing. In fact, I can assure you that 99% of those in Ekiti state itself have NO CLUE what the IGR of their state is.

So cut the bull!!
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by jidowu84: 8:23pm On May 05, 2012
Gbawe:

My friend, the article is on the official website of Ekiti State. You are just showing ignorance if you do not know that even in the West no Government department is obligated to supply any pictures to anyone. They will however provide regular updates of work being done .

This is , for example, why you won't find any pictures of the superb drainage project carried out in the Bode-Thomas-Eric-Moore axis of Lagos by Julius Berger recently. Of course fellow haters like you came here to say Fashola is a "liar" who has not carried out one single drainage project in Lagos till I supplied my own personal pictures to prove otherwise. Djustice, a known hater of Fashola who claimed the Lagos Governor was just "chopping", was stunned . See the pictures yourself and trawl the net to see if you can find them anywhere else proving my point that no one is obligated to supply pictures to prove anything to mischief makers like you. The drainage is built for me as a Lagosian living in that area. I therefore don't need any silly pictures when I have my eyes same as Ekiti folks lose nothing over your biased cynicism:

https://www.nairaland.com/826649/what-big-deal-about-fashola/1

In Nigeria, the style is to make vague allusions to work carried out. Administrators never mention specific names because , even if not obvious to you, the silly example you give of proliferation of smartphones makes you look very dull. If SW PDP can resort to wild fabrication and outright lies, would the ACN not be playing into their hands mentioning actual roads if indeed there is no construction going on and everything is a "big fat lie" as you conclude? Oni, smarting from Fayemi ousting him, and lying through his teeth daily will miss the chance to mobilise a camera crew to ridicule Fayemi? You are not very smart.

In any case, why is it that you guys not from the SW are keen to ruin every thread with your silly demand for pictures these days? Why don't you let indigenes speak before you open your mouth to begin yapping nonsensically? It works both ways because if you live in Ekiti you can simply go to many of the sites and prove no work is ongoing. If you don't feel obligated to do that in proving your case why , inversely, should the onus fall on anyone to provide you with pictures when, ultimately, you don't matter at all since you are not from Ekiti State?

Go and check Fayemi's history to see he is no conman like many of your political heroes. Anyway, we have heard you. Can you now go and face your own issues abeg. They are talking of roads and you are showing an elevated picture of a town. What confirms your mischief, driven by bias, more than that?

http://ekitistate.gov.ng/2012/05/fayemi-turning-ekiti-into-huge-construction-site/

Gbam!!!! Pls give him more. He is jst displaying the poor mindset he inherited from his fa.... Who boorow you camera? Political aboki....
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PapaBrowne(m): 8:27pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear:

The interesting ish about the four things you've used as examples(bolded in red) is that they are all Agribusiness or related if you like. Now, if you don't farm these things you've mentioned, then you will have to be buying raw materials for these(you don't even have a port) and that effectively knocks out any comparative advantage you sought. Your products would be more expensive than those from Ghana so your factories would close down in a second. Practicalities,Practicalities, Practicalities. Focus today on AgriBusiness, in the middle term on Light Manufacturing and Support Services, provide basic infrastructure, develop local entreprenuership and prime them for regional expansion, before thinking about industrialization.
With globalization, you really can't compete with unestablished guys talkless of the well established guys!

But I get your point though!! If you want people to work, you must have factories and to have factories, electricity is essential.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by MrGlobe(m): 8:32pm On May 05, 2012
[/quote][/sup]
shymmex:
I'm tired of state governors going to places like Kosovo, and Oman (Okorocha of Imo state) - to seek meaningless private investments.
Your bigoted mindedness will always make you look like a f//f/ucking i.diot anytime you type. Why okoroacha? Why not use your Governor who went to canada to 'inspect' old model used and dumped locomotive trains and recently embarked on an australian jamboree to 'inspect' ferries as another example.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:36pm On May 05, 2012
@shymmex: You lure investors by presenting them with profitable opportunities.

If electricity costs the same (or even 20-30% more) in Ekiti that it costs in China...well the business opportunities are obvious..I don't need to spell them out, do I?

So you've reduced the problem of industrialization to solving electricity.

And assuming that the FG deregulates it fully, then this is something that the state government can do.

I don't understand the relevance of this Kosovo example...it has absolutely no relation to this thread or what I am talking about.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:38pm On May 05, 2012
lari03:

Heh. I'm not in Nigeria, but my family is. Where do you think I heard about sourcing electricity from a cement plant in Kogi from? This is something it seems Fayemi has started to looked into.

Look, I have nothing against the guy and hope that he does well. But this doesn't mean I know a priori 90% that he will do well, or that he is doing the best that he can.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 05, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/930842/picture-story-reality-what-going#10755775
See for your self.
We are still far behind, that's why we are a developing country, the state was created 16 years ago and this is a tale of one of its major roads.
@Kobojunkie what you don't know nma,please don't say.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On May 05, 2012
lari03: https://www.nairaland.com/930842/picture-story-reality-what-going#10755775
See for your self.
We are still far behind, that's why we are a developing country, the state was created 16 years ago and this is a tale of one of its major roads.
@Kobojunkie what you don't know nma,please don't say.

um . . . Again, cut the bull. I said WHAT I KNOW. Care to Challenge it? Produce evidence that I am wrong or SHUSH!!!

Kobojunkie:

Knock, Knock!! Reality Check . . . .

You do not need to be in Nigeria to know if IGR is increasing, or not increasing. In fact, I can assure you that 99% of those in Ekiti state itself have NO CLUE what the IGR of their state is.

So cut the bull!!
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 05, 2012
ekt_bear:

Heh. I'm not in Nigeria, but my family is. Where do you think I heard about sourcing electricity from a cement plant in Kogi from? This is something it seems Fayemi has started to looked into.

Look, I have nothing against the guy and hope that he does well. But this doesn't mean I know a priori 90% that he will do well, or that he is doing the best that he can.
Well then I can authoritatively tell you that history will vindicate him before any of his predecessors, this guy is trying, you need to actually know that he makes the effort to come on TV to let people know what the government is doing at the end of every month.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:43pm On May 05, 2012
PapaBrowne:

The interesting ish about the four things you've used as examples(bolded in red) is that they are all Agribusiness or related if you like. Now, if you don't farm these things you've mentioned, then you will have to be buying raw materials for these(you don't even have a port) and that effectively knocks out any comparative advantage you sought. Your products would be more expensive than those from Ghana so your factories would close down in a second. Practicalities,Practicalities, Practicalities. Focus today on AgriBusiness, in the middle term on Light Manufacturing and Support Services, provide basic infrastructure, develop local entreprenuership and prime them for regional expansion, before thinking about industrialization.
With globalization, you really can't compete with unestablished guys talkless of the well established guys!

The second highest export item out of Nigeria today is cocoa. This cocoa is loaded on ships, transported to Europe. Then enters a chocolate factory. Is loaded on a ship, then sent for consumption in Nigeria, the US, etc.

So you are telling me that the fact that we don't have a port in Ekiti State means that it is cheaper to transport cocoa from Ondo and Ekiti State to France, then bring it back to Nigeria rather than just transport it 30 minutes to my factory in Ekiti?

7000+ mile journey is more desirable than a 100 mile one?

Again, you need to think through these things more deeply. The same poor roads hurt EVERYONE. They hurt the Chinese businessman wanting to sell his goods to Nigeria, and they hurt me too. But since they hurt everyone equally, I am at no disadvantage. And moreover, for selling things for the LOCAL West African market, where:

a) There is very little manufacturing
b) Very few competitors
c) My logistics and costs are cheaper than the manufacturer in China, assuming that electricity is fixed

then I have a significant edge.

Look, I'm not making mouth alone. Whichever governor in the Southwest of Nigeria solves electricity first, then I will put together money to start manufacturing. Not out of kindness, charity or generosity. But because I want more $$$$, and smell a business opportunity.

But I get your point though!! If you want people to work, you must have factories and to have factories, electricity is essential.
Indeed.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . Again, cut the bull. I said WHAT I KNOW. Care to Challenge it? Produce evidence that I am wrong or SHUSH!!!

My dear read your signature. end of story.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On May 05, 2012
lari03:
My dear read your signature. end of story.

You are kidding me? That is the best you can come up with ?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You are kidding me? That is the best you can come up with ?? undecided undecided undecided
so how do you honestly think this conversation can change the reality?
Me not in you govt.,you in the states, you want to develop high blood pressure or you want to take aspirin for another man's headache?
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Kilode1: 8:51pm On May 05, 2012
Between ekt_bear and Papabrowne's arguments I honestly cannot see much that they disagree about. Must be the nature of online forum arguments that we tend write so much and later find that we are saying the same thing.

States like Ekiti need Capital investment in infrastructure ( electricity, road, water e.t.c) even if the power station is located in Kafancha as long as its available and Ekiti can access it. They both agree on this.

States like Ekiti need Agribusiness, light manufacturing, services. All na the same. None will develop without electricity and investment in the support infrastructures. I think they both agree on this.

Fayemi better get busy.

@papabrowne, that "doctrine of settled issues" only exist in the moin moin brain of Babangida, did the loudmouth not call for a SNC few months ago. Nothing is settled in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:55pm On May 05, 2012
Kilode, if you believe that there was nothing we disagreed about, then with no offense intended, you need to reread what was written.

His perspective prior to this last post was radically different from mine. And also wrong.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:59pm On May 05, 2012
lari03:
Well then I can authoritatively tell you that history will vindicate him before any of his predecessors, this guy is trying, you need to actually know that he makes the effort to come on TV to let people know what the government is doing at the end of every month.

Trying is not good enough. Results are what matter, not whether you tried hard or not.

Also, I question his vision to a large extent. The airport proposal is a monumental blunder, for example.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PapaBrowne(m): 9:00pm On May 05, 2012
Aigbofa:

You talk as if these things are ordained by God and cannot be changed. The amount of money wasted on corruption, even in poor states like Ekiti is enough for any serious government to transform their states and built the necessary infrastructures to support businesses and development. If other countries are getting serious and lifting their poeple out of poverty, why are we always finding one reason and another to remain the same!

We would remain in the same place if we keep being emotional about issues. Even if corruption stops abruptly today, Ekiti doesn't have enough money to build adequate infrastructure. A simple rail project would consume the entire Ekiti allocation for 2 years! Ekiti has a monthly allocation of about 3 Billion. That is less than Dangote's daily turnover.
The reason other countries are getting results is because they have a practical economy where income is generated through taxes and other innovative methods. Lets build that practical economy first, other things would follow suit.
We need to get practical and focus on areas where we have competitive advatage.

Incase you don't know, Milk(Dairy) built Denmark. From milk, they built a host of other industries. They had to export their excess milk, so a shipping industry was built. They had to package the milk in tins, so an industry was built around aluminium. They developed enzymes, butter, yoghurt, and a host of other more sophisticated industries around milk. Today Denmark exports $2.5 Billion worth of Dairy products yearly. Thats a country of barely 6 million people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ngige Apologises to Obi Of Onitsha / PDP Chieftain, Cairo Ojougbo Reveals How Chibok Girls Release Failed Under GEJ / 26,000 PDP Supporters Decamp To APC From 4 Zuru Emirate Lgas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.