Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,331 members, 7,884,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 02:20 PM

Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. (18133 Views)

Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) / How Aregbesola Turned Osun To A Construction Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 7:24am On May 08, 2012
Beaf:

You do not need good roads to transport agrictultural produce. Roads are just one of several transportation options, others are:

1. Air
2. Rail
3. Water

With water, a lot can be moved around very cheaply with next to zero maintainance cost. On the other hand, road, rail and air networks are prohibitively expensive to build and manage. All Ekiti needs for transportation of agricultural produce are viable inland waterways.

As for the second bolded, thats just pie in the sky like most of what ekt_bear has been banging about. What would foreign or local investors be attracted to in Ekiti state with its present economy even with a wonderful road network? You've got to build the economy first, then investors will come.

For electricity, Ekit like the rest of Nigeria, is blessed with abundant solar energy; we just lack the imagination and self-belief to pull it off.

Guy, there is no such river for inland waterways in Ekiti! Good roads are needed.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 8:46am On May 08, 2012
bayooooooo:

Guy, there is no such river for inland waterways in Ekiti! Good roads are needed.

Indeed . I simply can't believe the submissions here trying to downplay the importance of transportation to overall development. Let us not forget that we are talking of a nation where decades of under-investment in the transport sector now means that road travel is the main way to move goods, services and people around in Nigeria.

There are many scholarly and expertly compiled case-studies available , particularly pertaining to developing Nations, that well-educated men like Fayemi, coupled with the peculiar problem faced, will base their decision-making on not the half-baked theory of those who don't have the well-rounded knowledge that will assist them to link the problem with solutions.

This thread has only gone this way (transport not important/not a priority/taking funds away from other sectors) because there are pictures to indeed back the testimony of Ekiti folks. If there were no pictures, after some initially demanded it, the thread would be derailed because things would have stayed at the level of many spamming and repeatedly demanding for pictures. We have all seen that childish modus-operandi elsewhere. As it is, some have to now find other reasons to diminish what is clearly a good development for Ekiti. Hence some of the ridiculous submissions we are reading here. For reasons that are terribly obvious, it is expedient for Fayemi to focus on developing road infrastructure.

http://www.preservearticles.com/201106228398/importance-of-transport-and-communication.html

What is Importance of Transport and Communication for a country like India?

Transport and communication occupy an important place in the economic and social development of a country.

Importance of Transport:

A country cannot develop so fast without a developed transport system. Development of roads facilitates utilisation of natural resources lying unutilized in different hills, mountains, forests and mines. Transport system helps to send raw materials, fuel and machineries to different industries at right time and runs the industry.

Transport system helps to raise the production of raw materials, fuels and machineries etc. by providing market to it. Transport system widens the size of the market. Due to selling of commodities in an extensive manner in large areas, it leads to large-scale production. As a result industry of firm gets the advantages of large-scale production.

A developed transport system reduces regional industrial disparity by facilitating establishment of industries in backward areas, because the backward area is brought nearer to developed area with the help of a developed transport system by sending raw-materials to the backward industrial centre and by selling the products of industries in different areas.

Transport system helps to solve the problem of unemployment in rural areas by sending surplus labourers to the industries and it also solves the needs of industries. Development of transport system also leads to development of industries because transport system utilizes the product of industries.

Different machineries and raw materials are supplied through roads, ships, motors, buses, trains, aero planes to industries. It shows that transport system of a country affects economic development of a country in different manner.

Transport system is regarded as a strong pillar to protect the people from the difficulties of war, natural calamities and other problems. Transfer of military equipment, soldiers and war heads is possible only through a developed transport system during war. A developed transport system is necessary to send necessary helps to the affected people during the period of natural calamities.

Except this, transport system helps to establish relationship among different parts of the people and strengthens the feeling of unity and brotherhood among the people. Lastly it makes India one and undivided
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:47am On May 08, 2012
Solar?

And you are saying that I am "pie in the sky?"

Have you looked into how expensive solar actually is for generating electricity?

Look, stick to concern over your state. Let me focus on mine.

The "edge" Ekiti has over certain other states is that it has people like with me who reason more sharply than others.

We lose that advantage if we start listening to people who propose dumb things like solar energy for large-scale energy production.

Seriously, there is no point in commenting on electricity if you don't even realize that solar is extremely expensive, on a per kWh basis...
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:51am On May 08, 2012
Inland waterways. In Ekiti State?

Air, for transporting produce?

I.e., charter a plane to transport yam from Ekiti to Lagos?

Do you want the farmers to go bankrupt?

My brothers and sisters. Fellow Ekiti indigenes and Yoruba people more generally.

If we listen to perhaps well-meaning but clearly uninformed folk like this, we are absolutely doomed.

It is very easy for people to propose suggestions and give advice for a state that isn't their own. After all, if their advice is id1otic, they don't bear the risks.

However, for me, my own suggestions are the best strategy going forward, to my knowledge. At least given what I know, what I've researched and read.

But it sure as heck beats anything proposed so far on this thread. I haven't seen anyone yet suggest something better.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 8:59am On May 08, 2012
Here is a table from Wikipedia on the costs of different sources of electricity:

Solar is near the red arrow I've drawn.

Notice that its cost ("Total System Levelized Cost" ) is a factor of 2X or more than the alternatives.

There is no point in you commenting on this thread about energy if you don't even know how much things cost. We don't need advice from people who have no clue what they are talking about.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 9:01am On May 08, 2012
ekt_bear: Solar?

And you are saying that I am "pie in the sky?"

Have you looked into how expensive solar actually is for generating electricity?

Look, stick to concern over your state. Let me focus on mine.

The "edge" Ekiti has over certain other states is that it has people like with me who reason more sharply than others.

We lose that advantage if we start listening to people who propose dumb things like solar energy for large-scale energy production.

Seriously, there is no point in commenting on electricity if you don't even realize that solar is extremely expensive, on a per kWh basis...

Indeed my brother and this is what I have been saying all along. Such a dumb statement, announced with audacity, yet lacking basis in financial/economic/feasibility logic, is what I resent. This thread is full of it i.e many making asinine suggestion , purely for the sake of it, they think is intelligent while trying to dismiss the effort of an administrator who is actually getting the results we all said we wanted before the elections. Some are not even bright enough to know that, for very good reasons, many developing Nations , including our west African neighbours, predicate their development on a direct improvement of the transport sector linking everyone and everywhere.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PhysicsQED(m): 9:17am On May 08, 2012
@ekt bear, I think the cost of solar recently went down to around that of nuclear.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 9:25am On May 08, 2012
ekt_bear: Inland waterways. In Ekiti State?

Air, for transporting produce?

I.e., charter a plane to transport yam from Ekiti to Lagos?

Do you want the farmers to go bankrupt?

My brothers and sisters. Fellow Ekiti indigenes and Yoruba people more generally.

If we listen to perhaps well-meaning but clearly uninformed folk like this, we are absolutely doomed.

It is very easy for people to propose suggestions and give advice for a state that isn't their own. After all, if their advice is id1otic, they don't bear the risks.

However, for me, my own suggestions are the best strategy going forward, to my knowledge. At least given what I know, what I've researched and read. I'm not claiming that this is the best strategy.

But it sure as heck beats anything proposed so far on this thread. I haven't seen anyone yet suggest something better.

My brother, now you are on the same page as me. Some fool above accused me of being angry. Well, why will I not be angry when , as a proud Yoruba man wanting the best for his region and people, I see mischief-makers and self-confessed "spin and spellers" trying to bamboozle those less knowledgeable into believing that this attempt at developing road infrastructure is now, somehow, a bad thing?

They start by asking for pictures and calling Fayemi's effort a "big fat lie". When those pictures arrive to back up the testimony , on this thread, of those in Ekiti like Ijigbamigb, below, they now totally forget their demand for picture to suddenly announce that "there is much more to development than just building roads". Which decent Yoruba person will not be annoyed at such open mischief from those, without a doubt, we know have their own sectional/ethnic agenda?

Ijigbamigb wrote:
Sincerely, works are going on around the state and the Guy is really focused on his urban-renewal projects. Also, his promise to review the strategic position of the state within Nigeria towards becoming the major rice producer for the nation the governor is working towards raising the state's economy and job creation. I am currently in ado ekiti and i see things for myself. Busy now and will upload some pics soon.

The effort to ridicule Fayemi's effort , with reasoning that is clearly inferior and ignorant, only highlights their own idiocy. Why will anyone, genuinely interested in progress for the SW, not be angry with those actions? It is like witnessing a non-Yoruba person like Edicolove constantly lying against Fashola (" no single drainage work in Lagos under Fashola" ) while I am seeing superb drainage projects in my area to redress dilapidation that has not been touched in 20 years !!! Why will anyone not be angry at such a wicked attempt at defamation?

I can pull out 10 case studies , relating to developing Nations, that shows Fayemi is absolutely on the right path trying to optimally develop the road infrastructure of Ekiti. It is a measure of how Nairalands is full of haters and negative folks that anyone can now actually speak against an effort to aggresively improve road infrastructure in a Nation that relies heavily on roads for the transportation of goods, services and people.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 9:26am On May 08, 2012
PhysicsQED: I highly, highly doubt that.

If that were true and the cost of solar energy had dropped that low, I certainly wouldn't be hearing about it first on NL.

You will have to back up your claim with a citation (e.g., someone else's study) which shows this for me to consider believing this claim over that of the DoE study.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 10:01am On May 08, 2012
PhysicsQED: @ekt bear, I think the cost of solar recently went down to around that of nuclear.

Oga mi, trust me when I say solar energy, for now, even if it can be considered "part of the mix", is not financially viable , for Nigeria, to the extent it can be suggested as a solution above other means of generation especially given our natural endowment (the gas we flare shamelessly for example) that ridicules our current predicament and highlights the poor leadership we are blighted with .

How do you wish to proceed? What cost estimation shall I begin pulling out? Regional solar farms producing bulk supply or individual photovoltaic cells , with accompanying modules completing the loop, for homes/factories/businesses/offices?

Whichever way, it will still be extremely easy to show that solar , for now, is way down the feasibility scale for a Nation abundantly blessed with oil and gas. Can we/should we spare even a tenth of the sort of money discussed below (£35.7 billion) given our natural endowment?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/22/solarpower.windpower

Saharan sun to power European supergrid

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 22 July 2008 16.50 BST
Article history

A worker tends to the world's largest solar plant in Germany. Photo: Waltraud Grubitzsch/EPA/Corbis

Vast farms of solar panels in the Sahara desert could provide clean electricity for the whole of Europe, according to EU scientists working on a plan to pool the region's renewable energy.

Harnessing the power of the desert sun is at the centre of ambitious scheme to build a €45bn (£35.7bn) European supergrid that would allow countries across the continent to share electricity from abundant green sources such as wind energy in the UK and Denmark and geothermal energy from Iceland and Italy.

The idea is gaining growing political support in Europe with both Gordon Brown and Nicholas Sarkozy recently giving backing to the north African solar plan.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 10:06am On May 08, 2012
It has nothing to do with Nigeria specifically, really.

Generating electricity from solar is not competitive with generating it from other sources, for any country (aside from possibly some island country in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, perhaps. but said country has no hope of industrializing anyways..)

Technology would have to advance quite a bit for solar to be competitive.

And again...if this happens, we wouldn't be reading/hearing about it on NL. We'd see Japan replace their nuclear power plants with solar. The US shut down its coal plants for solar, etc
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 10:13am On May 08, 2012
ekt_bear: It has nothing to do with Nigeria specifically, really.

Generating electricity from solar is not competitive with generating it from other sources, for any country (aside from possibly some island country in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, perhaps. but said country has no hope of industrializing anyways..)

Technology would have to advance quite a bit for solar to be competitive.

And again...if this happens, we wouldn't be reading/hearing about it on NL. We'd see Japan replace their nuclear power plants with solar. The US shut down its coal plants for solar, etc

When I mention Nigeria, I mean that the idea of solar energy is even more ludicrous given our Natural Gas endowment.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 10:21am On May 08, 2012
100% agree on that last point.

Nigeria has enough natural gas to probably power all of Africa.

If Nigeria gets natural gas and electricity right, then not only should nobody in Nigeria be talking of solar, likely nobody in West Africa should.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by ektbear: 10:26am On May 08, 2012
Anyway, let me not talk about the electricity needs of all of West Africa again grin

my own "problem" to solve fortunately is a much smaller one (Ekiti State.)

Negotiating some arrangement with Dangote's cement plants in Kogi to buy electricity from them probably is going to be enough to make good progress on our energy needs, at least in the short term.

I look forward to the day that states can distribute electricity and set the price it can be sold for themselves..
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 10:32am On May 08, 2012
ekt_bear: 100% agree on that last point.

Nigeria has enough natural gas to probably power all of Africa.

If Nigeria gets natural gas and electricity right, then not only should nobody in Nigeria be talking of solar, likely nobody in West Africa should.

Indeed. Little known to most, for example, is the fact that it is our supply of Natural gas to Ghana that enables the Country to maintain its image as a West African nation with reliable/stable power. Perverse that we are engulfed in darkness yet enter into contractual 'big brother' obligations to supply others with gas.

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/02/07/erratic-gas-supply-from-nigeria-causes-ghana-electricity-outages/

Erratic Gas Supply from Nigeria causes Ghana Electricity Outages
February 7, 2012 · 2 Comments · By BusinessNews Staff

The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) has been compelled to begin load shedding exercise in various parts of the country due to erratic supply of Gas from Nigeria’s West African Gas Pipeline (WAGP).

The WAGP is an initiative of several ECOWAS member countries including Ghana, Benin an Togo, inaugurated during the Obasanjo administration, the pipeline is to supply gas from the Escravos-Lagos Pipeline to feed gas-fired power plants in the West African countries.

Nigeria is contractually obligated to supply Ghana 100 million standard cubic feet per day (mscf/d), however the volumes have dropped to 40 mscf/d.

This has caused electricity regulators in Ghana to embark on load shedding exercise, dropping the power supply by 100 MegaWatts during peak periods of 6pm to 10pm.

According to a statement released by the Volta River Authority (VRA), “VRA has …requested the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) to undertake a load management exercise in various parts of the country, until the situation returns to normalcy”.

The statement continued, “We assure our valued customers and the general public that VRA is committed to ensuring the supply of adequate power to all its customers, and regret any inconvenience caused.”
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Remal: 10:55am On May 08, 2012
Gbawe:

My friend, the article is on the official website of Ekiti State. You are just showing ignorance if you do not know that even in the West no Government department is obligated to supply any pictures to anyone. They will however provide regular updates of work being done .

This is , for example, why you won't find any pictures of the superb drainage project carried out in the Bode-Thomas-Eric-Moore axis of Lagos by Julius Berger recently. Of course fellow haters like you came here to say Fashola is a "liar" who has not carried out one single drainage project in Lagos till I supplied my own personal pictures to prove otherwise. Djustice, a known hater of Fashola who claimed the Lagos Governor was just "chopping", was stunned . See the pictures yourself and trawl the net to see if you can find them anywhere else proving my point that no one is obligated to supply pictures to prove anything to mischief makers like you. The drainage is built for me as a Lagosian living in that area. I therefore don't need any silly pictures when I have my eyes same as Ekiti folks lose nothing over your biased cynicism:

https://www.nairaland.com/826649/what-big-deal-about-fashola/1

In Nigeria, the style is to make vague allusions to work carried out. Administrators never mention specific names because , even if not obvious to you, the silly example you give of proliferation of smartphones makes you look very dull. If SW PDP can resort to wild fabrication and outright lies, would the ACN not be playing into their hands mentioning actual roads if indeed there is no construction going on and everything is a "big fat lie" as you conclude? Oni, smarting from Fayemi ousting him, and lying through his teeth daily will miss the chance to mobilise a camera crew to ridicule Fayemi? You are not very smart.

In any case, why is it that you guys not from the SW are keen to ruin every thread with your silly demand for pictures these days? Why don't you let indigenes speak before you open your mouth to begin yapping nonsensically? It works both ways because if you live in Ekiti you can simply go to many of the sites and prove no work is ongoing. If you don't feel obligated to do that in proving your case why , inversely, should the onus fall on anyone to provide you with pictures when, ultimately, you don't matter at all since you are not from Ekiti State?

Go and check Fayemi's history to see he is no conman like many of your political heroes. Anyway, we have heard you. Can you now go and face your own issues abeg. They are talking of roads and you are showing an elevated picture of a town. What confirms your mischief, driven by bias, more than that?

http://ekitistate.gov.ng/2012/05/fayemi-turning-ekiti-into-huge-construction-site/

Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Remal: 10:59am On May 08, 2012
Do you live in ekiti yourself? A lot of constructions are going on but they do not make sense. I guess you are an ACN member. Irọ pọ.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:28am On May 08, 2012
@ekt. Bear, I'm not typing from a real computer right now so I can't post links, but the article I was referring to is called ' solar and nuclear costs: the historic crossover ' . However upon doing some further searching about the article i found that it had been seriously debunked, so i was indeed wrong there. My mistake.

@Gbawe, I agree natural gas is the way to go and i was pleasantly surprised to read that the current administration is trying to get foreign investment in that area.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 11:42am On May 08, 2012
Remal: Do you live in ekiti yourself? A lot of constructions are going on but they do not make sense. I guess you are an ACN member. Irọ pọ.

Why don't you tell us why the "lot of construction" going on "do not make sense"? Give us your perspective. That is all I ask. Obviously Fayemi and the many skilled local and foreign town/urban/planning and road construction experts have very detailed training and knowledge that makes them pursue the construction pattern you now see. It is therefore not enough to flippantly dismiss what they are doing as "not making sense".

Indulge us with your opinion and state precisely how you will do things. We need submission that shows your 'superior' grasp and illustrate you understand the internal transport linkage of Ekiti, combined with a fluent understanding of how this merges with interstate roads and general transport flow/heirarchy/order. That is how we will all become a Nation of politically sophisticated people who proffer solutions when they criticise the efforts of others.

If you are going to ungraciously dismiss the efforts of others, then please make your own brilliant submission. That is what I would do and have always done on Nl. If, for example, I criticise GEJ's handling of the Ogun impeachment saga then be assured I will supply a solution, without ambiquity, I think will redress the situation. In fact I posited that GEJ , as C-in-C, simply had to facilitate the majority impeached unfairly to sit and carry out their legitimate duty in reversing illegality and gangsterism. I did not just heap criticism on GEJ vacuously.

At the end you then say "Iro po" when you yourself has admitted that there is a lot of construction going on validating the topic of the thread to begin with. Who is lying then? Me? Fayemi? The pictures supplied?

Anybody who finds it easy to ungraciously pull down and badmouth the efforts of others ,without offering their own alternative provisions, is certainly not helping issues. Forget the ACN or Politics. Be the first on this thread , even as I have asked others several times, to school and dazzle us with your suggested solutions that will convince everyone, beyond doubt, that the efforts of others "do not make sense".
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:45am On May 08, 2012
@ekt bear, Japan is actually putting a lot of effort into solar following their nuclear crisis, but that's clearly for reasons of safety rather than cost.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Ufeolorun(m): 11:57am On May 08, 2012
Fayemi knows what to do but he's been disappointingly going on about. I thought he isn't conventional but he's crassly same same.
We can make a lot of money from educational services as well by just latching unto the wide spread perception held about the state,
but no!,aiye san Oga-Govenor he wants Airport so he wouldn't have to travel through the craters
Is it not shameful that we are still heavily dependent on handout(though its our right under the law) from the feds despite the huge resources at our disposal,our people donot want only handouts lead them to the way of self-sufficiency

Fiddlesticks!
You are seriously under performing sir
You know what to do, you don't need all this long winded waffles.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 12:07pm On May 08, 2012
Ufeolorun: Fayemi knows what to do but he's been disappointingly going on about. I thought he isn't conventional but he's crassly same same.
We can make a lot of money from educational services as well by just latching unto the wide spread perception held about the state,
but no!,aiye san Oga-Govenor he wants Airport so he wouldn't have to travel through the craters
Is it not shameful that we are still heavily dependent on handout(though its our right under the law) from the feds despite the huge resources at our disposal,our people donot want only handouts lead them to the way of self-sufficiency

Fiddlesticks!
You are seriously under performing sir
You know what to do, you don't need all this long winded waffles.

Man mi, no administrator can be without fault or totally beyond reproach. Personally, I also don't agree with a focus on Airport construction as priority for Ekiti. That does not mean , based on that policy alone, I will conclude Fayemi is failing.

I prefer to to look at individual sectors and look at specifics gains made therein. It appears Fayemi is doing well with road infrastructure and that , more or less, is the main point of this thread. Why not stay on topic by providing your opinion on this specific issue instead of talking about something else here?
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Ufeolorun(m): 12:38pm On May 08, 2012
Gbawe,
Well my expectation is far beyond just one issue cos I thought we now have someone who will get the job done, I prolly rated him too high and am already re-adjusting to emerging facts.
Nobody want London or lagos in ekiti infact, I don't pray for that just build on the naturally sensible society that Ekiti is,that's all.
He should be seriously flaunting is achievement/quantifiable work in progress so far in AGRIC,EDUCATION,IT.Roads should be an ordinary ancillary to all these
Ekitis are probably the easiest people to lead just do what is right and I trust people will go to any length to support you ask Awo's foot-soldiers and they will tell you how much support baba got from Ekiti people.

NB. I don't have problem with your thread or your point of view,really, but not happy with the disjointed way the government is going on about.I don't criticise Jonathan anymore cos I expect nothing from him,basically.
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Gbawe: 1:09pm On May 08, 2012
Ufeolorun: Gbawe,
Well my expectation is far beyond just one issue cos I thought we now have someone who will get the job done, I prolly rated him too high and am already re-adjusting to emerging facts.
Nobody want London or lagos in ekiti infact, I don't pray for that just build on the naturally sensible society that Ekiti is,that's all.
He should be seriously flaunting is achievement/quantifiable work in progress so far in AGRIC,EDUCATION,IT.Roads should be an ordinary ancillary to all these
Ekitis are probably the easiest people to lead just do what is right and I trust people will go to any length to support you ask Awo's foot-soldiers and they will tell you how much support baba got from Ekiti people.

NB. I don't have problem with your thread or your point of view,really, but not happy with the disjointed way the government is going on about.I don't criticise Jonathan anymore cos I expect nothing from him,basically.

My brother, I get your drift now. I have always known you to contribute wisely here. I think we should give these SW Governors sensible time to perform. They met a lot of mess on the ground and little allowance is given , in everyone's desire to witness a 3 month miracle, to the consideration that there must first be a period within which administrators will first clear up the intangible fiscal, political and administrative mess on ground before the "see and feel" dividends are delivered. We need no better example than Oshiomhole. Even dismantling Anenih's dark political control (not achieved completely to date) ,to the level oshiomhole could begin delivering for his people, took time.

That dirty and unexciting aspect of the job is one many of us do not concern ourselves with. It is however an important part of the whole picture that cannot be ignored. By and large, it seems Ekiti is now on the right path after Fayemi has made the ship stable enough to now talk confidently as he does below. He won't get everything right but that is where constructive criticsm helps. By the way, I still don't know your opinion about Fayemi's effort towards road infrastructure. Do you not think he deserves credit in that regard?

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/govt-okays-n12bn-on-13-road-projects/104292/

Govt Okays N12bn on 13 Road Projects

05 Dec 2011

By Toba Suilaman

Ekiti State Government is to spend a total sum of N11,477,062,629.73 on 13 road projects, which will cut across 187.87kilometres. Consequently, the state government gave the contractors between six and 12 months to complete the projects.

The amount represents the cost of the contracts for the road projects which cut across most of the local government areas of the state, and approved by the State’s Executive Council, culminating in the flag off of the roads by the Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi.
Five of the road projects were flagged off by Fayemi in Ado-Ekiti, last week, just as he rounded off his tour of the local government areas.

According to the documents made available to newsmen in Ado-Ekiti at the weekend, the road projects in Ado-Ekiti, which would gulp about N5 billion include: the dualisation of Old Garage-Ojumose Road, (0.8kilometre, awarded at N866,872,873.13); dualisation of Atikankan- Post Office- First Baptist Church Road, (0.9 kilometre, awarded at N891,822,525.30); Ojumose-Basiri-Police Headquarters, Iyin Road, (4.9 kilometres, awarded at N1,488,054, 374.92); Fajuyi-University Teaching Hospital Road (1.65 kilometres, awarded at N447,544,063.50); and Ijigbo- Baptist College–Ilawe Road, (3.62 kilometres, awarded at N788,038,599.60).

Others are :Igede-Awo-Ido Road (24 kilometres, awarded at N995,662,458.00); Ikere-Igbaraodo Road, (19 kilometres, awarded at N494,815,781.25); Ikogosi-Ipole-Iloro-Efon Alaaye Road (24 kilometres, awarded at N877, 218,981.91); Ijan- Ise road (17 kilometres, awarded at N702,037,054.62) and Ijero-Ipoti-Ayetoro Road (17kilometre, awarded at N888,258,892.50).

The rest are Ilawe-Igbara Odo-Ibuji Road (17 kilometres, awarded at N894,698,043.75); Ikole-Ijesa-Isu-Iluomoba Road (23kilometre, awarded at N1,139,155,368.75) and Oye-Ikun-Otun Road (43kilometre, awarded at N1,002,883,612.50).

At a meeting with the contractors on Friday, in Ado-Ekiti , the Governor reminded them of the government’s zero tolerance for shoddy job and warned them against entering into any deal with government officials, a development which the Governor said had accounted for poorly executed contracts in the past.

The governor, who said the bulk of the money for the road projects would be from the N20billion bond being sourced from the Capital Market and the money allocated for the Urban renewal project in the state budget, assured the contractors of prompt payment for the jobs, even as he said government would frown at anyone of them, who choose to embark on unnecessary holiday once their money are paid.
Fayemi told journalists after the parley that the state was entering a new phase of “see and feel”, adding that having put in place necessary policy framework and legislative backing, Ekiti was bound to witness a more rapid development in the area of infrastructure development within the next 12 months.

[size=14pt]“The next twelve months is crucial. It is a period of see and feel. Our people will feel the impact of the government like they have never felt before, especially in the areas of infrastructure development. We have laid the necessary foundation for a proper take off and nothing will stop us,” the governor said.
[/size]
While stating that the massive construction work that will commence in the state from this month would translate in employment and economic advantage for the people of the state, Fayemi said the 12 road projects terminated by his government last month would be re-awarded very soon
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Ufeolorun(m): 7:51pm On May 08, 2012
Let's wait like you said but these guys have set so high standard for themselves and I am judging base on this
I don't want any federal party(they have bad antecedents) back in Ekiti and possibly the region. Politics is local and local it must remain.This mean they have to get a lot done.
Digression:
Have got me eyes on Ibadan too and am seriously asking what's Ajimobis plan for Ibadan.If he's got none all he need is to look for the old ideas or master-plan(if any) that gave Ibadan a lot of first. The city is too important to be left dragging or put on a small -scale incremental fixing,even if its Alpha-beta bring them in to help with the tax and revenue framework-more cash to fuel reorganisation
A lot of Swners actually have more claim on Ibadan than Lagos.lol
If they are really serious about regional integration then Ibadan has to compete with Lagos
Re: Fayemi: Turning Ekiti Into A Huge Construction Site. by Nobody: 6:44am On May 09, 2012
Mr. Globe:
[/sup]
I'm tired of state governors going to places like Kosovo, and Oman (Okorocha of Imo state) - to seek meaningless private investments.

Your bigoted mindedness will always make you look like a f//f/ucking i.diot anytime you type. Why okoroacha? Why not use your Governor who went to canada to 'inspect' old model used and dumped locomotive trains and recently embarked on an australian jamboree to 'inspect' ferries as another example.

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Accept Results, ECOWAS Observers Tell Candidates / Shettima Best For Tinubu – Arewa Youths Attack Ex-SGF Lawal, Others / Governor Otti To Flag-Off Reconstruction Of Aba-Port Harcourt Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.