Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,058 members, 7,887,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 07:21 PM

Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu (8863 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Arysexy(m): 7:56pm On May 08, 2012
u stupi.d people asking wot kanu did for yekini? u want kanu to come and broadcast it? kanu is d only nija player that has given back to d society through his heart foundation, not even 1 was built in south east to tell u how unbias he is. we only forget so soon. Yekini didnt manage his fame and wealth well. May he RIP
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by dadicvila(m): 7:56pm On May 08, 2012
berem: an inlaw of mine actually told me that he often saw yekini begging for alms and roaming the streets in abidjan, ivory coast. u cant blame kanu, he must have helped the guy wen he was alive. shame on our leaders! they need to be spat on!
that your inlaw is a L.I.A.R
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by oluoma1: 8:18pm On May 08, 2012
Am listening?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by id2010(m): 8:30pm On May 08, 2012
We ought to know Nigeria situations by now. we only honour and celebrate corrupt individuals.. our situations are always upside down.. Medicine after death.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by okunboy: 9:07pm On May 08, 2012
If you want to be honoured in Nigeria................die!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by stagger: 9:16pm On May 08, 2012
ZUBY77: Kanu Nwankwo should learn to shutp up. Yekine was in the same line of business with him. Kanu should have been the one to help yekini because he has money. Who is he pointing at now. Does he think that Nigerians are stupid?

Who said Yekini had no money? You rumour-mongers are unbelievable!
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 08, 2012
dadicvila: that your inlaw is a L.I.A.R
guy no be lie o! i saw the pictures of him. that was two yrs back. many pple i know who resides in abijan confirmed it!
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by ritux: 9:27pm On May 08, 2012
ZUBY77: Kanu Nwankwo should learn to shutp up. Yekine was in the same line of business with him. Kanu should have been the one to help yekini because he has money. Who is he pointing at now. Does he think that Nigerians are stupid?

You should learn to shut ur mouth if you don't have any good thing to say.

Yekini played for Nigeria and not Kanu. Our clueless NFF are just there stealing tax payers money. No wonder most Nigeria sportsmen and women prefare to play for other countries. Kanu has paid his dues with his Heart Foundation.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by cowgurl: 9:47pm On May 08, 2012
Well said Kanu, but even ur voicin it wil stil not change a tin abot it cos it's alwys been in d Nigeria's culture to celebrate death (heroes or not) rada dan life, sad thing it is but true.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by IYANGBALI: 10:13pm On May 08, 2012
abeg shut the fok up,what did you and the mafians in the super eagles do to help the guy when he was alive?you ganged up against him and pushed him out.Arant nonsense.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by phemmyutd(m): 10:33pm On May 08, 2012
Everyone can blame anybody for yekini death, but if you know him very well you will be caution to blame anybody for his death. I was fortunate to school in his village during my secondary school days, and we reside in his general family house in Ira, oyun local government area of kwara state. I could recall when after France 98, when Rasheed yekini came to his village. This man is so stingy and full of him self, that he can not donate any money for the youth of his community in the name of sport. I could recall sound and clear what he said that day that "am not hear for anybody's problem". This so call man did not have a single room built in his village. Now that he is death everyone are now looking for who to be blame. Atleast he made some money when he was still active, why he didnt invest then? The main problem he has is lack of education, this is what i see that ruined his life, so let no man blame anyone for his failure. We can still see some of his mate that ar still making it, but because he didnt make himself relevant again, who is now to blame?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by brainchild78(m): 11:12pm On May 08, 2012
I totally agree with the poster. Rashidi was an iconic figure in world of Nigeria football and is 1 of the main reasons why Nigeria has a name in international football. My his poor soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by 1025: 11:22pm On May 08, 2012
and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.

@joey,
whatever we support will surely get back to us in one way or the other. what was kanu's capacity? is bill gate going house to house in america giving arms to ppl in need? did yekini play for kanu or nigeria? is nigeria too poor that they can't take care of yekini in all situations? yekini is not a kanu figure rather he is a national figure. he is a name in the history of nigerian football. he was part of the best nigerian team ever in history. he deserved a better treatment from the government of this country.
if u have issues with kanu, keep it and face the topic he brought up. how do u get these younger players to make sacrifices for nigeria? how do u expect them to be committed to a country that do not care about them? is it about yekini alone? what about sam okwaraji who even died in active service? is anyone talking about him or his family? that is very bad and we expect everybody to condemn this attitude of our govt towards those who gave their lives in service for our country.
let one of these criminals politicians die or have problems tomorrow, fg will spend N20B. are u aware that the plateau state govt gave the sum of N100m to the family of the slain boko haram leader? what will yekini's family benefit from serving nigeria?
if you support evil, let evil follow u all the days of ur life but if u support good, let good follow u all the days of ur life.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by jamngr84(m): 11:42pm On May 08, 2012
Why are some people saying that kanu should use his hard earned money to look after fallen heroes.Those pepole that say that y dont you use your own money to look after fallen heroes.Kanu has set up his own foundation to help,why cant we b great full.
The question everybody is to be asking is what is d govt doing to help our heroes and not what kanu is doing. undecided undecided undecided[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by adeleye83(m): 12:14am On May 09, 2012
Please whenever you comment seek the truth first and not rumours. I stay in Ibadan and I am in active sports with the Sports Council. Rashidi Yekini was never a begger nor poor o. He was still a normal person though you can say not stinkingly rich like he was in the nineties. He died of mental illness and that was eredictary. He would walk the streets of Ring road and challenge with bare foot. Few weeks ago, he began to burn his housing properties in town and would withdraw large money in his banks without reasons. Only God knows what he used the money for, maybe he burnt it with the house and few weeks he died. Please seek the truth and not rumours. Rashidi Yekini was not poor nor begging for alms o. He still ok with what he had but was mentally ill.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by mimifonwon(f): 12:41am On May 09, 2012
solayemi: See black brains talking/commenting. What happened to the money he made as a footballer? How many houses has d brazilian gvmt built 4 pele or how many times has d french gvmt paid zidane's hospital bills. These guys made themselves relevant after their careers,that is why we still see them 2day and not because their govmnts put them where they are today. What did he do with his life and wealth after soccer?

Actually their gov.system provides free healthcare and retired fund to former national team players, so what are you talking about-what did their government do for them. Nigeria doesnt offer any of that, and all they do is give empty promises while their heroes suffer.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 1:38am On May 09, 2012
norrisman: May Yekini's soul RIP. But was he really a hero? He made lots of people happy playing football and made some considerable wealth along the way as well.

I do not mind him being honoured for his footballing achievements but I am completely against the government giving any favourable assistance to famous footballers, musicians e.t.c over disabled soldiers, families of policemen killed in active service, retired teachers e.t.c.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Fairgodwin(m): 2:35am On May 09, 2012
Joey82: and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.
Inasmuch as I like and respect Kanu for his philanthropism (forgive that English), I still really wanted to ask this same question! At least they (Kanu & co) made it 'bigger' than the Yekini's.....
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Fairgodwin(m): 2:43am On May 09, 2012
solayemi: See black brains talking/commenting. What happened to the money he made as a footballer? How many houses has d brazilian gvmt built 4 pele or how many times has d french gvmt paid zidane's hospital bills. These guys made themselves relevant after their careers,that is why we still see them 2day and not because their govmnts put them where they are today. What did he do with his life and wealth after soccer?
Now, this was a very sensible one. And since I've been beaten (in my own judgement), I retire....
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Fairgodwin(m): 2:53am On May 09, 2012
adeleye83: Please whenever you comment seek the truth first and not rumours. I stay in Ibadan and I am in active sports with the Sports Council. Rashidi Yekini was never a begger nor poor o. He was still a normal person though you can say not stinkingly rich like he was in the nineties. He died of mental illness and that was eredictary. He would walk the streets of Ring road and challenge with bare foot. Few weeks ago, he began to burn his housing properties in town and would withdraw large money in his banks without reasons. Only God knows what he used the money for, maybe he burnt it with the house and few weeks he died. Please seek the truth and not rumours. Rashidi Yekini was not poor nor begging for alms o. He still ok with what he had but was mentally ill.
Thanks bro, for the enlightenment.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by addiis(m): 4:52am On May 09, 2012
No be naija you dey? U na go chop ur fabu together till messiah return.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by ebere1712: 7:18am On May 09, 2012
Although we all failed you, knowingly or unknowningly, God would bless you yekini for putting a smile on our once young and weary faces. Nigeria is indeed a cursed nation. They would rather pay billions to mass murderers, thieves, psychopaths and paedophiles, than give honour to whom honour is due. It is funny that we can no longer qualify for any leagues, whilst players of Nigerian nationhood are making it big in foreign lands. We don't even support our own leagues. Nigeria as a nation is mentally unstable, and can't sustain itself on this path it has taken . In no sane society would rashidi live and die a pauper, and the likes of danjuma are officially awarded national hero-ship. For our wickedness, and lack of empathy; we inflict ourselves with plagues. God bless you yekini cry
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Teejayphillip(m): 7:44am On May 09, 2012
We dnt nid †̥ blame kanu,@least he gave bac †̥ d society tru his heart foundation.... D only pple nigeria celebrates r dose pple whu steal n looted our money.... Ow long du we continue celebratin thieves? Food 4 thots oo
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by charlesm91(m): 7:53am On May 09, 2012
ook at the way naija is bashn kanu askn whut he did for yekini.sm tyms i tink we are the cause of our backwardness.he said heros shud be honoured alive nt dead.if u dnt know,wen yekini was alive.many tried to help him including his ex team n Fifa too who gave him invite to occasions bt he all but turned them down for reasons best known to him.if u followed charles anazodo on supersport yrz bac wen he was really agravated wit the fact dat yekini refused help from even his colleagues.perhaps he was still bitter wit the federal govt
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by AlusiOkija: 10:16am On May 09, 2012
Abeg!!

Yekini this, Yekini that.

The system is not reserved for Legends alone. What about the civil servant who spent over 25 years of their lives serving Nigeria that die in abject poverty as a result of unpaid pensions?! Those ones are not woth mentioning abi!! Because they werent on T.V.

The whole system is fhucked, everyone is getting fhucked over daily, wetin man go do.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by henboy01(m): 12:44pm On May 09, 2012
...well,I dont blame you.Those in the glass house who funds are allocated to annually never looked in yekini's direction,then you blame kanu for NFA's woes.He served Nigeria n not the Nwankwo family.Can you work in Chevron and expect ur pay from mobil?guy u must be daft
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by kaykad: 1:49pm On May 09, 2012
D best striker nija ever had
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by tolugiwa(f): 3:30pm On May 09, 2012
Joey82: and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.
whether kanu helped yekini or not is nt d issue. The point is Nigeria tends to forget her people, period! Look @ d case of Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi, he designed d national flag n ws promptly forgotten. There is d case of Biliaminu,an estwhile boxer now nearly crazy and alot of them. I personally dnt like d idea of crying when the head is off. Kanu has in his own way contributed to numerous lifes in Nigeria. Do you know how many kids would have died of heart diseases if not for him? Go to UCH Ibadan n ask the nurses and medical officers @ the cardio ward how many kids got their lives back courtesy of Kanu Heart Foundation n God. Pls Joey82, try to be objective
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 09, 2012
ebere1712: Although we all failed you, knowingly or unknowningly, God would bless you yekini for putting a smile on our once young and weary faces. Nigeria is indeed a cursed nation. They would rather pay billions to mass murderers, thieves, psychopaths and paedophiles, than give honour to whom honour is due. It is funny that we can no longer qualify for any leagues, whilst players of Nigerian nationhood are making it big in foreign lands. We don't even support our own leagues. Nigeria as a nation is mentally unstable, and can't sustain itself on this path it has taken . In no sane society would rashidi live and die a pauper, and the likes of danjuma are officially awarded national hero-ship. For our wickedness, and lack of empathy; we inflict ourselves with plagues. God bless you yekini cry
you dey mad...shey na ur papa curse nigeria... God bless Nigeria
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by asiwajuone: 4:36pm On May 09, 2012
All Kanu has done is speak his mind..he's doing so much for other people in need..whether he helped Yekini or not isn't the issue...the issue is what our so called Government does to honour these people who put naija on the map of the world..there wasn't as much as a testimonial match for Yekini...they should rename the National Stadium Surulere after Yekini..that's the least they can do..Yekini is a priceless hero of our country.bigger than most..it's not about the money he made or the houses he built.what did the govt do..and nobody should attack papillo. he's airing his views. Mr Cork,whether Kanu speaks english or not isn't an issue..Does Rooney speak french which is close to him not to talk of igbo or yoruba...Kanu is real.he's not like Babayaro and co wey go dey form UK accent for jand
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by yonybanta(m): 7:03pm On May 09, 2012
. You xpect Kanu 2 say what exactly he has done 2 yekini right? Whether Kanu has help late Yekini or not does not change the fact that what he said was true.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by noiseless: 7:59pm On May 09, 2012
Honestly I understand where you are coming from, trust me something might have happened to his savings resulting to or contributed to what led to the condition he suffered of which non of us is aware, however his "wealth" that we all have in mind does not justify the fact that the authority failed to do what they are supposed to be doing which is caring for it's own citizens.So we must not be judgemental here which is a typical nigerian mentality cos we really don't how come he ended up like this

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIFA World Cup Or UEFA Champions League: Which Is Bigger and Better? / I Am Not Leaving Arsenal - Aubameyang Assures Gunners / Super Eagles Launch Glo-branded Jerseys In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.