Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,091 members, 7,946,698 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 03:25 AM

Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here - Politics (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here (229360 Views)

We Get Many Complaints Against Obasanjo Foundation –UK Commission / How To Send Complaints About Bad Roads In Lagos / Let's Have Your Complaints Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (315) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by nduchucks: 11:07am On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
You are still not getting the 'koko of the matter' the new mod wants a uniform spelling of some terms especially as they trigger hates amidst us in the hands of chronic bigots here, and my question to you is, what is so difficult with sticking with 'Yoruba and Igbo' when referring to those terms in your post? There is no confusion there, except for nutcases here!

Expected response typified by name calling. Congratulations.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 11:11am On Apr 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Expected response typified by name calling. Congratulations.
Are you one of the nutcases here? undecided
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Katsumoto: 1:26pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Are you one of the nutcases here? undecided

Ndu_Chucks is not a nutcase.

He is asking valid and appropriate questions and getting no responses.

The interpretation of certain rules are a bit wooly at the moment.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by naptu2: 1:49pm On Apr 11, 2013
I think the admin or a supermod might need to come and clarify thinks here. We have conflicting rulings from the mods and that has created a state of confusion.

A mod (Afam) made some rules. Another mod (OAM4J) modified those rules (and said that it was a decision made by the admin). Another mod (Ikenna) has now made rules that conflict with the earlier modification. We need to know which rules to follow.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:00pm On Apr 11, 2013
Katsumoto:

Ndu_Chucks is not a nutcase.

He is asking valid and appropriate questions and getting no responses.

The interpretation of certain rules are a bit wooly at the moment.
Katz you know me too well here (even though we may not agree all the time on some political issues grin ) well the valid points you claimed Ndu was raising to me are not but somehow convoluted! The new Mod came with an easier solution to checkmate the level of bigotry and tribalism that has turned the 'political section of Nairaland' into a centre of diatribes and now Ndu is trying to draw back the hand of time undecided and my unanswered question to him is, what is so difficult in adapting to a generally accepted Yoruba or Igbo spelling for now? I need answer or answers!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Katsumoto: 2:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Katz you know me too well here (even though we may not agree all the time on some political issues grin ) well the valid points you claimed Ndu was raising to me are not but somehow convoluted! The new Mod came with an easier solution to checkmate the level of bigotry and tribalism that has turned the 'political section of Nairaland' into a centre of diatribes and now Ndu is trying to draw back the hand of time undecided and my unanswered question to him is, what is so difficult in adapting to a generally accepted Yoruba or Igbo spelling for now? I need answer or answers!

Is the new mod God Almighty? Why should only him have the final say on the subject? This subject was discussed at length by many posters. Isn't this a dictatorial policy? I always use the term Igbo but on principle, I am against the ban of anglicized words just because some folks are sensitive. Yoruba was a Nupe term for Odua people; the Brits anglicized Yoruba to Yoruba. The Yoruba aren't complaining.

As long as a word has been used in published text in a non-derogatory manner, then it should be accepted here. May be the Espanol should complain about the anglicized spelling of Espana (Spain). Frankly, I think it is pathetic for grown men to be complaining about this issue. Its like a fat 10 year old crying about being called fat.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 2:22pm On Apr 11, 2013
I can not believe young Nigerians have embraced laziness and wished to dim the light of enlightenment in nairaland. It is a case of irredeemable idiocy for anyone to regard original or alternative names of certain ethnicities in Nigeria as derogatory.

Must we always go to our graves with what the silly Europeans and colonialists handed down to us? Are we not human enough to explore our history other than the craps Europeans impacted on us? I remember someone posted interesting facts about Igbo as a derivative of Gboo (Ancient or Old or Original) people. Ndigboo could have been anglicized as Ndigbo or Ndibo depending on the European airhead that scripted the pronunciation for further literary work. The same goes to Yoruba, Yooba, Yoro.ba or Yoruba. I recently found out that Hausa is also known as Hausawa,Haousa, Ausa and Habe etc.

How does writing Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba etc curb any form of bigotory? Nobody can simply force another person to love, like, appreciate or befriend another person. It is human to dislike period.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
Katsumoto:

Is the new mod God Almighty? Why should only him have the final say on the subject? This subject was discussed at length by many posters. Isn't this a dictatorial policy? I always use the term Igbo but on principle, I am against the ban of anglicized words just because some folks are sensitive. Yoruba was a Nupe term for Odua people; the Brits anglicized Yoruba to Yoruba. The Yoruba aren't complaining.

As long as a word has been used in published text in a non-derogatory manner, then it should be accepted here. May be the Espanol should complain about the anglicized spelling of Espana (Spain). Frankly, I think it is pathetic for grown men to be complaining about this issue. Its like a fat 10 year old crying about being called fat.
Personally, I don't have any grouse with the terms 'Yoruba or Ibo' as the case may be but I am actually on the side of avoiding going round in circles as usual, he is trying to bring sanity back into this section which in time pasts bigots have abused, can't we just give him a chance? I still maintain that there is no big deal if Ikenna is enforcing 'Yoruba or Igbo' spelling as the recognised spelling here to me it's no big deal! We've been down this road before let's apply something drastic, I believe you are a fan a 'sane environment' let's kick out trolls off the politics section, my point cool
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Katsumoto: 2:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Personally, I don't have any grouse with the terms 'Yoruba or Ibo' as the case may be but I am actually on the side of avoiding going round in circles as usual, he is trying to bring sanity back into this section which in time pasts bigots have abused, can't we just give him a chance? I still maintain that there is no big deal if Ikenna is enforcing 'Yoruba or Igbo' spelling as the recognised spelling here to me it's no big deal! We've been down this road before let's apply something drastic, I believe you are a fan a 'sane environment' let's kick out trolls off the politics section, my point cool

How is 'yoruba' are criminal more sane than Yoruba are criminal? Is bigotry absent?

I am in support of action (whatever that is) against trouble makers but not in support of dictatorship.

Banning willy nilly has never worked on NL because troublemakers can easily open new monikers. I think amending posts would be more effective as many would take exception to their posts being modified.

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dede1: I can not believe young Nigerians have embraced laziness and wished to dim the light of enlightenment in nairaland. It is a case of irredeemable idiocy for anyone to regard original or alternative names of certain ethnicities in Nigeria as derogatory.

Must we always go to our graves with what the silly Europeans and colonialists handed down to us? Are we not human enough to explore our history other than the craps Europeans impacted on us? I remember someone posted interesting facts about Igbo as a derivative of Gboo (Ancient or Old or Original) people. Ndigboo could have been anglicized as Ndigbo or Ndibo depending on the European airhead that scripted the pronunciation for further literary work. The same goes to Yoruba, Yooba, Yoro.ba or Yoruba. I recently found out that Hausa is also known as Hausawa,Haousa, Ausa and Habe etc.

How does writing Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba etc curb any form of bigotory? Nobody can simply force another person to love, like, appreciate or befriend another person. It is human to dislike period.
Dede1, I have to disagree with you on this one! What Ikenna is trying to portray here is to prevent unrepentant bigots from having their ways when meaningful discussions are going on here, we should all support him! Agreed, Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa will not prevent some people from stopping their level of bigotry but with sanctions they will shape up, and being an educational site, sanity is needed because not all Igbos here enjoy seeing Ibos, Heeboes, Eboes spellings or Yorubas seeing Yoruba, Yeriba, Yaruba etc so to avoid all those excuses that, 'its a typo, when we all know they are intentional' why can't we just stick with Yoruba or Igbo spelling for now!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Dede1, I have to disagree with you on this one! What Ikenna is trying to portray here is to prevent unrepentant bigots from having their ways when meaningful discussions are going on here, we should all support him! Agreed, Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa will not prevent some people from stopping their level of bigotry but with sanctions they will shape up, and being an educational site, sanity is needed because not all Igbos here enjoy seeing Ibos, Heeboes, Eboes spellings or Yorubas seeing Yoruba, Yeriba, Yaruba etc so to avoid all those excuses that, 'its a typo, when we all know they are intentional' why can't we just stick with Yoruba or Igbo spelling for now!

Why would this Ikanga character stop on words? Would it not be fashionable if he\she extends the so-called measure of sanity to the manner people write their sentences? I bet you that he or she will term the expression to have Nigeria divided into ethnical nation states as bigotry.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dede1:

Why would this Ikanga character stop on words? Would it not be fashionable if he\she extends the so-called measure of sanity to the manner people write their sentences? I bet you that he or she will term the expression to have Nigeria divided into ethnical nation states as bigotry.
cheesy cheesy Dede1 you are introducing some funny jibes into your post, I think there is no big deal to what Ikenna is doing, let's not make a 'mountain out of this mole-hill' I totally support this move from him! Respect cool
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 3:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
cheesy cheesy Dede1 you are introducing some funny jibes into your post, I think there is no big deal to what Ikenna is doing, let's not make a 'mountain out of this mole-hill' I totally support this move from him! Respect cool

Nigerians have fear over nothing. I guess the genesis is pure delusional. Believe me Nigeria must divide to liberate the mental dead-end that hibernates in them.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 3:18pm On Apr 11, 2013
Katsumoto:

How is 'yoruba' are criminal more sane than Yoruba are criminal? Is bigotry absent?

I am in support of action (whatever that is) against trouble makers but not in support of dictatorship.

Banning willy nilly has never worked on NL because troublemakers can easily open new monikers. I think amending posts would be more effective as many would take exception to their posts being modified.
Now you made a point here! 'Yorubas are criminals' may not be offensive to many here but 'Yaribas are criminals' may be highly offensive to many Yorubas here, why? Many of us are used to the word 'Yoruba' and not 'Yoruba' this is nothing but the truth! Let's give Ikenna a chance and also support him! Too many meaningful issues to benefit from here but bigots would not undecided
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 3:26pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Now you made a point here! 'Yorubas are criminals' may not be offensive to many here but 'Yaribas are criminals' may be highly offensive to many Yorubas here, why? Many of us are used to the word 'Yoruba' and not 'Yoruba' this is nothing but the truth! Let's give Ikenna a chance and also support him! Too many meaningful issues to benefit from here but bigots would not undecided

Are you insinuating people other than you should use only words familiarized with you and ilk? I hope nairaland is not getting out of control.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 3:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dede1:

Are you insinuating people other than you should use only words familiarized with you and ilk? I hope nairaland is not getting out of control.
Not really but let's support this guy!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Dede1(m): 3:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint:
Not really but let's support this guy!

Nigerian mentality should be a thing for case study. If any Nigerian writes criticisms of Awolowo, Azikiwe, Balewa, Bello, Achebe or Soyinka, he\she is immediately termed as bigot. Nigerians have ways of using words in sentences. I love when Nigerians refer to person who clearly read and write as illiterate. Way to go, Naija!!!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by OAM4J: 4:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen of Politics Section,

I think we have had enough debate on the new moderator. Ikenna351 has not made any new rule. He has only advised people to stick to using Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa on NL just like we have done in the past. He has not and he is not banning anyone for using Ibo, Yooba or Yoruba etc for now.

Ikenna351 is here to join the fight in putting an end to tribal attacks which am sure many of you want. Even if some of you dont believe in that mission, please let him do his job and let the attack stop. So far he has not done anything outside the rules of Nairaland.

So I plead with you all to let us rest the matter and focus on discussing Nigerian politics. For instance, Boko haram has rejected amnesty even before it is offered, what is now the way forward to our security challenges?

Thank you all.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 4:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
OAM4J: Ladies and Gentlemen of Politics Section,

I think we have had enough debate on the new moderator. Ikenna351 has not made any new rule. He has only advised people to stick to using Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa on NL just like we have done in the past. He has not and he is not banning anyone for using Ibo, Yooba or Yoruba etc for now.

Ikenna351 is here to join the fight in putting an end to tribal attacks which am sure many of you want. Even if some of you dont believe in that mission, please let him do his job and let the attack stop. So far he has not done anything outside the rules of Nairaland.

So I plead with you all to let us rest the matter and focus on discussing Nigerian politics. For instance, Boko haram has rejected amnesty even before it is offered, what is now the way forward to our security challenges?

Thank you all.
Fixed but still broken! Are you sure this is what Ikenna represents here? Its better he speaks to us himself to clear the confusions on the minds of many here! I thought he said we all should stick with Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa!
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 11, 2013

Thank you all.

Thanks for injecting an extra dose of clarity.

Yours is a voice of reason.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by nduchucks: 4:59pm On Apr 11, 2013
tomakint: I thought he said we all should stick with Yoruba, Igbo an Hausa!

I suspected you were pea brained, the above confirms it. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by tomakint: 5:06pm On Apr 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I suspected you were pea brained, the above confirms it. cheesy
The chameleon at his usual game of wits again undecided

1 Like

Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
Where is Afam? His absence on this section is becoming suspicious or is he planning to resign?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by OAM4J: 6:35pm On Apr 11, 2013
berem: www.nairaland.com/1254303/expect-more-power-cuts-minister-tells

https://www.nairaland.com/1254276/nigeria-may-break-up-before#15191742

https://www.nairaland.com/1254290/politician-jailed-molestationlawyer-fleestakes-asylum#15191575

OAM4J, please front page. Thanks!

Thanks.

2 of them have been recommended. The 3rd get k-leg, I dont think Nairaland promotes Nigeria break-up news/discussion.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Demdem(m): 6:44pm On Apr 11, 2013

Thank you all.

Then why the initial gra gra of I will ban this, I will ban that from him? Wassup with his threats?
Even bigots will read this post of urs and be humbled not that of ikenna.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Demdem(m): 6:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
berem: Where is Afam? His absence on this section is becoming suspicious or is he planning to resign?

I refuse to comment. grin
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Pataki: 6:55pm On Apr 11, 2013

Thank you all.

This is the voice of reasoning right here. Far more appealing than the gra-gra Ikenna coming here to be shouting like he is one demi-god.

You have spoken well like a true son of the soil.

Odua bless you. cool
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Pataki: 6:56pm On Apr 11, 2013
Double post.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Tolexander: 7:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
OAM4J: He has not and he is not
banning anyone for using Ibo,
Yooba or Yoruba etc for now.

there is something we call 'isunki' in yoruba language which is the compression of word. Like akara to akaa, owuro to ooro.
Exactly what happened to yoruba to yooba.
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Desola(f): 8:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
Is calling one okoro not allowed as well? If so, why? Isn't it a name?
Re: Let's Have Your Complaints, Suggestions & Enquiries Here by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 11, 2013
Demdem:

I refuse to comment. grin
lol! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (315)

Nigerian Army's Campaign In The North Eastern Theatre (Photos) / Anambra Governorship Election 2017 Results - Live Updates (Unofficial) / Governorship Election Results 2019 From Polling Units Across States (unofficial)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.