Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,155 members, 7,939,643 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 09:40 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (98289 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:58am On Jun 07, 2010
I was just looking through facebook, and I noticed how several people I knw who worked hard to attend top schools in the US (Like not US citizens who did not have to be the best of the best like most international students), and I noticed all work for investment banks now lol especially Goldman Sachs. Its funny because I nearly went that route junior year. I had done the networking, the extracurricular, and all the right things then I bailed out. Infact one of my classmates, he works for a major IB, put a lot of pressure on me because he said that my GPA+science major+being a minority would make me an easy shoe-in. I actually dont regret it because I doubt I would have loved it.  

Anyhoo, I think I am digressing way too much but I have this major question:

Did the GRE help anyone at all in this cycle because it did not for me?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:18am On Jun 07, 2010
1. Is my list realistic? or do I have to add more schools to it? ( I think I have to pay extra for that)

- Add more schools. Pay for it once and for all.

2. What do you think my minimum GRE score should be if I am to be considered with my background?

- They dont have a minimum. Aim for a 1400+ IMO and they would be happy with you. Preferably a 1500.

3. How much does work experience weigh in getting positive responses?
- What type of work experience? For masters yes they do.

4. What is life like in the US after one finishes grad school, I intend to at least gain very good working experience there before maybe returning to Nigeria. I know there is a financial meltdown [/b]but compared to the Uk and Canada what are the chances of securing one?

- There is way more work in the US, than in the UK. Trust me, I have been in Europe for sometime now and the US job market is way better- I have said enough. The unemployment figures in the US are more because of laziness lol. The problem is work visa issue. Especially if you are going into industry. However if you use your common sense IMO you would not have much problems.

5. In the event that I cannot get one immediately, what options are available?

- Depends- you could engage in further study, marry americana grin, or just move to another country grin

6. On the issue of Canada I also intend to send an application to the University of Alberta, [b]I hear very good reviews for Canada but I am still surprised that many people do not consider going there especially as I have heard that they have less immigrant visa issues
, is there anyone that can throw more light on this?

- Canada is a great place but too cold for black man tongue. Seriously though dont make anyone aware of it yet b4 Nigerians pour sand sand for you garri and come there in droves. Operate under silence. Most people are not aware how easy it is to migrate to canada- its a joke compared to any country. Alberta also has a lot of oil companies but it is in the middle of bumblef.u.ck North America.

If you are paying the feels please try Canada and move from there, its just that it might be hard to get a job there, but they even have lower unemployment than several countries. All in all, I a sure when you spend a significant time in obodo oyinbo, you would find out like the rest of us, that home is where the heart is- Naija  grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:27am On Jun 07, 2010
I would make a thread on graduate school in a few seconds grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 10:29am On Jun 07, 2010
Many thanks for your swift reply SEFAGO, 1400 or 1500 is not beans oh! But I never shy away from challenges so full speed ahead, i just have to read like crazy.
SEFAGO:

I would make a thread on graduate school in a few seconds grin
That would be very nice wink
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:45am On Jun 07, 2010
SCYLLA:

Many thanks for your swift reply SEFAGO, 1400 or 1500 is not beans oh! But I never shy away from challenges so full speed ahead, i just have to read like crazy. That would be very nice wink

Dont take me seriously. Anyhow bros, I think you should also consider the possibility of Canada- its not the best place, but way less stress than both the UK and US.

Ok, we are digressing, and I feel people here prolly dont like me now. We would talk when I make the thread
Re: Preparing for GRE by EdConsult: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2010
Re: Preparing for GRE by dayokanu(m): 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2010
SCYLLA,

There are about 10 schools in the US who offer Petroleum Engineering. So the choice should be easier. Then you want to stay closer to the Gulf coast where the Companies are.

LSU has some affiliations with Exxon, Also consider University of Houston, New Mexico Institute of Tech, UTAustin might be difficult to get into but you never know.

Think about the cost also because You wont get financial aid/Schorlarship and probably might not get TAor RA so chose a cheap sch.

Oklahoma, LSU and check if there is any sch in Missisipi too
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 9:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
dayokanu
Thank you very much for your reply, I hope to see you in the graduate studies thread.
Re: Preparing for GRE by seuncaroline: 7:47am On Jun 08, 2010
@SCYLLA,
whats the graduate studies thread?
Re: Preparing for GRE by EdConsult: 7:49am On Jun 08, 2010
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 5:15pm On Jun 08, 2010
SEFAGO:

I was just looking through facebook, and I noticed how several people I knw who worked hard to attend top schools in the US (Like not US citizens who did not have to be the best of the best like most international students), and I noticed all work for investment banks now lol especially Goldman Sachs. Its funny because I nearly went that route junior year. I had done the networking, the extracurricular, and all the right things then I bailed out. Infact one of my classmates, he works for a major IB, put a lot of pressure on me because he said that my GPA+science major+being a minority would make me an easy shoe-in. I actually dont regret it because I doubt I would have loved it.  

Anyhoo, I think I am digressing way too much but I have this major question:

Did the GRE help anyone at all in this cycle because it did not for me?

There was also a time I really wanted to do investment banking. It wasn't until my friend (now at Harvard) who really, really wanted to be an investment banker did an internship there and complained about it everyday that I changed my mind. In the UK all you need to be an investment banker with the likes of Goldman Sachs or a consultant at Deloitte et al is a 2:1, decent A levels, answer their application questions in certain ways (which can be found on a certain website) and pass the SLH math tests and you're in for an interview at least. Cambridge/Oxford give an edge but everyone has a chance unlike in the US (From what I perceive).

Yeah, I feel with the GRE once you have above average math and verbal scores relative to the department you're applying to it doesn't count for much else (it's just used as a screening tool to keep departmental GRE averages high). Important thing is to work hard during undergrad to get a stellar GPA of 3.7 or above (or a first class), good research experience with a renowned professor and a few publications. I had absolutely no knowledge of any of this when I was in my final year of university. Frankly I used to think the US educational system was similar to or inferior to the UK's system where a 2:1 (even a 2:2 for some) is generally all you need to open doors to the best schools. Cambridge and Ocxford may specifically ask for 68% and above but otherwise 2:1= ticket.

What grad schools miss however is that the grade does not an engineer make. I know several engineers with 2:2's who will wipe clean the asses of those with a 1st anyday in industry.
Re: Preparing for GRE by liliana080(f): 6:21pm On Jun 08, 2010
scooby1 is a scammer, dont pay into his account. EFCC is after him
Re: Preparing for GRE by Scooby1(m): 7:28pm On Jun 08, 2010
Liliana080 no wonder your scams didnt work, anybody with a brain cell will check my previous post to verify if I have been asking for money or
trying to defraud anybody. Obviously u been a dunce wouldnt know that, I will continue to expose ur silly ass!
Liliana080 is a bloody conman he has been exposed on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-459340.0.html
Re: Preparing for GRE by dominique(f): 8:39pm On Jun 08, 2010
liliana080:

you really are relentless. why not just do us a favour and drop dead?
Re: Preparing for GRE by dominique(f): 8:53pm On Jun 08, 2010
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:56pm On Jun 08, 2010
dominique:

you really are relentless. why not just do us a favour and die?

Scooby1:

Liliana080 no wonder your scams didnt work, anybody with a brain cell will check my previous post to verify if I have been asking for money or
trying to defraud anybody. Obviously u been a dunce wouldnt know that, I will continue to expose your silly backside!
Liliana080 is a bloody conman he has been exposed on this thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-459340.0.html
liliana080:

You guys shuld please not post crap on this thread. Or screw this thread up. GOd, Nigerians and scamming
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:07pm On Jun 08, 2010
everyone has a chance unlike in the US (From what I perceive).

Yeah in the US you have to be good, because there are so many good students around. Usually though connections trump anything else, so the only spaces left are for very able students.

What grad schools miss however is that the grade does not an engineer make. I know several engineers with 2:2's who will wipe clean the asses of those with a 1st anyday in industry.

Grad schools want research potential and good grades. That's why they are more interested in academic superstars than practical people.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2010
SEFAGO:

Grad schools want research potential and good grades. That's why they are more interested in academic superstars than practical people.

True that. My bad.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SHILPAIYR: 3:42am On Jun 12, 2010
Hey, I have applied to univ of alberta, I send them the application on october for fall sem 2010,

However,I havnt recieved any news or updates yet!!!!

My course id chemical engg, Anybody who has recieved status updates from U of A
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 12:06am On Jun 15, 2010
SHILPA.IYR:

Hey, I have applied to univ of alberta, I send them the application on october for fall sem 2010,

However,I havnt recieved any news or updates yet!!!!

It's getting pretty late mate. Better call em up tomorrow. Some schools assume you're no longer interested if you don't check the status of your application from time to time (e.g. Texas A & M).
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 6:02pm On Jun 19, 2010
So no one is preparing for GRE now, na wa oh what is it like to write GRE in naija self? I mean test conditions?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:03pm On Jun 19, 2010
SCYLLA:

So no one is preparing for GRE now, na wa oh what is it like to write GRE in naija self?  I mean test conditions?

Where i took it was outside Nigeria, they were very security conscious- they dont allow you take anything in. You have to go through this boring tutorial- which I slept through, then you have security cameras all over to ensure no cheating goes on.

If you are savvy with a computer you should do Ok. Especially for the AW section, I got a perfect score because I feel this had more to do with my typing speed as opposed to my analytical skills.

That reminds me: I never hear Nigerians ask questions about the AW section of the GRE- I know its useless but it seems people are always more concerned with their verbal scores

I dont know how bad it is in Nigeria. I remember that for the SAT, the exam conditions in Nigeria where very intense because Americans of course think all Nigerians are cheats. Infact, I got my scientific calculator seized (even the guidelines explicitly state you are even allowed to bring in a graphing calculator) which disconcerted me a little.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:11pm On Jun 19, 2010
Frankly I used to think the US educational system was similar to or inferior to the UK's system where a 2:1 (even a 2:2 for some) is generally all you need to open doors to the best schools. Cambridge and Ocxford may specifically ask for 68% and above but otherwise 2:1= ticket.

Yeah I feel at the graduate-level British schools are a joke, - no disrespect. I got an offer from a school 1 week after I turned in my application in January with 0 reference letters  shocked. Mind you this school is supposed to be impressive in engineering. I would not name names  tongue.

I still dont know about Oxbridge, though I know you would still need a 3.6+ at the undergraduate level in the US, while you would need around a 3.3+ for Imperial and LSE (they claim on their website claims at least a 3.5, but I have seen way less with my own koro koro eyes) assuming you attend a good school. As for the others a 3.0 would be considered adequate if you attend a good school.

Reason: I would probably be paying the atrocious Overseas fees. Ole barawo lol

Call them bros. Canadian schools usually take their time
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 3:13pm On Jul 05, 2010
Hi all thanks for all your
contributions so far.I am a
college student in 2nd semester
of my 2nd year in biochemistry.I
will be going to the US for my
phd in biochemistry immidiatly
after my undergrad studies,I
have so far seen that research
experience and publication is
highly needed for gaining
admmission but in a country like
ours i do not think i will have
any of this after my degree.Pls
is there any route one can
take to have any these here in
Nigeria before graduating?
Secondly is the practicals and
the final year project
considered? Pls construtive idea
and advice is needed. NOTE am
in 200 level 2nd semester
Re: Preparing for GRE by jidebiz(m): 10:51pm On Jul 06, 2010
Hi all,

I will like to use this medium to cordially appreciate everyone that has made this thread a success. I only come to nairaland to read the latest trenchant comments and shrewd advises from this thread. Once again, I SAY A ROBUST THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU

I just did my GRE exam yesterday and to the glory of the lord, I had 750/800 in maths and 600/800 in english.
One advise to those who are about to write the GRE exam: THERE IS NO LUCK IN GRE, IT IS ALL SERIOUS HARDWORK ,the exam isn't exactly a walk on the beach.

As my own contribution to the survival and benefit of thie thread, I'm willing to give anyone who is interested a good collection of materials that are not exactly common,
For example,

BARRON'S WORDLIST AUDIOBOOK BROKEN INTO 12 mp3 files
AN ANTONYM GRE TEST ENGINE
REAL ANSWERS TO MOST GRE ESSAY QUESTIONS PDF
EASYWORD SOFTWARE THAT GENERATES POP-UP QUESTIONS EVERY 2 MINS ON THE SYSTEM SCREEN OF GRE WORDS
NOVA GRE MATH BIBLE
ADVANCED GRE MATH PDF
GRE BIGBOOK CONTAINING 10 GRE PAST QUESTIONS
GRE PREP COURSE
WORDWEB PRO DICTIONARY (THE BEST DICTIONARY SOFTWARE)
FREE GRE GUIDE PRACTICE TEST ENGINE
501 QUANTATIVE COMPARISON QUESTIONS PDF
501 ANTONYM/SYNONYM QUESTIONS
501 MATH WORD PROBLEMS QUESTIONS
GRE WORDS FLASHCARDS
GUIDE TO CORE GRE MATHS
ANALOGY GRE BIBLE BOOK
AND A WHOLE LOT MORE,

If you are interested in these materials, send me a mail . My email address is jidebiz@gmail.com
Please contact me on time as I'd have to begin work again and might not have time anymore to make the necessary arrangements to meet with you.

I wish all who are also planning to write the GRE examination best of grace.
Cheers
Re: Preparing for GRE by jidebiz(m): 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2010
Hey Everyone,

Comon don't let this thread become bland. I've always known it to be an exciting and informative one.
Please let the contributions continue,
I'm presently searching for schools offering petroleum engineering in the US. Some factors I'm considering in the determination of my school choice is the rate of employability after study. Another factor is its provision of some form of assistanceship as well.
I'd really appreciate any advice offered to aid in my final choice of applications.
Thank you.

THIS THREAD MUST NOT DIE O O O O O ABEGI smiley
Re: Preparing for GRE by EmmaMsc(m): 11:31pm On Jul 17, 2010
Hello guys. I am currently studying for GRE. but i perform woefully in the verbal section - esp. reading comprehension, analogies and antonyms. Guys pls suggest books and strategies on how to study for the verbal section
I also need materials on TOEFL
Thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
I'd just like to thank everyone on this thread once more. I remember when I started preparing for GRE all the way back in August last year. This thread has been a real asset for me in terms of applying to schools. I got my F-1 visa today and I am one step closer to my dream. So thanks guys. Those that are just starting out don't worry. Work hard, try and get a first class or a 2:1, get above 750 (preferably above 780 sha) in your GRE quantitative and above 500 in verbal, write a killer statement of purpose, get good recommendations, get your I-20, pay all neccessary fees and you'll hopefully be where I am today this time next year. This advice is strictly for engineers. If you do something more artsy you probably wanna get a higher verbal score like say 650, but you quantitative can also be lower say 600 to 700. I'll still add my two cents to this thread as a retired General.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2010
Congratulations bro grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Happy for you man.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2010
Cheers SEFAGO. I am over the moon. One would think this would be my first time going to America. LOL. But getting a student visa is very different from being a visitor sha.
Re: Preparing for GRE by seuncaroline: 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2010
bebure:

Cheers SEFAGO. I am over the moon. One would think this would be my first time going to America. LOL. But getting a student visa is very different from being a visitor sha.
@bebure, congrats, I cant wait to be in your position one of these days. I guess its "Step by Step".
@SAFEAGO and other retired generals, pls dont hesitate to contribute your 2cents from time to time, they wud be of great help to us,
thanks for this thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (44) (Reply)

Male Students Sign On Boobs Of Female Students (PICS) / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam / 6 Of The Most Beautiful University Libraries In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.