Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,332 members, 7,910,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 03:16 PM

Preparing for GRE - Education (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (98051 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2010
Congracts Bebure.
I am also going to the Technical University of Delft in the Netherland for my MSc. in Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience on full scholarship from the dutch government with everything paid for including my transport to and from the Netherland.
It also started like a childs play, writing all those exams, applying to several schools, getting several admissions, but nothing is as good as getting a good funding to attend a reputable university.
My advice to new comers, would be to put in their best and always make attemp to try what ever they think might make their life better and believe so much on their capability. If you dont push for success, it will not come.
Always attempt,

1 Like

Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 5:43pm On Aug 01, 2010
seuncaroline:

@bebure, congrats, I cant wait to be in your position one of these days. I guess its "Step by Step".

Thanks. Yeah, just take it one step at a time. The better your grades, the easier things are. If I knew then what I know now with regards to gaining admission in the US, I would have strived for a first class instead of a 2:1 and for a GRE score above 1450 rather than one above 1300. You'll get there though. Just work hard, dont be scared of rejection and believe in yourself.

2good:

Congracts Bebure.
I am also going to the Technical University of Delft in the Netherland for my MSc. in Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience on full scholarship from the dutch government with everything paid for including my transport to and from the Netherland.
It also started like a childs play, writing all those exams, applying to several schools, getting several admissions, but nothing is as good as getting a good funding to attend a reputable university.
My advice to new comers, would be to put in their best and always make attemp to try what ever they think might make their life better and believe so much on their capability. If you dont push for success, it will not come.
Always attempt,

Thanks my brother and congratulations to you on your accomplishments! It seems we old soldiers are finally retiring from this thread sad. Anyway good luck to the Spring and Fall 2011 guys. I hope this thread is as useful to you as it was to me. Also check out the thread on U.S. Student Visas (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-240241.0.html) but that's for after you've gotten admission sha. If any of you need help/advise feel free to holla at me.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 6:46pm On Aug 03, 2010
Modified.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Consultant(f): 10:57pm On Aug 03, 2010
I'm not so sure if my result at undergraduate would do for a prospective postgraduate student in the US, it appears most people on here had Upper division.

American schools will typically ask you for your GPA (our class of degree doesn't really mean much here). That being said, most will still require you to have a GPA of 3.0/4.0, which does translate into a 2.1. What you can do is aim for a very high score in your GRE. Then when you fill out your applications, make sure you use the extra space they provide for additional information to provide an expalnantion for why your GPA is not a true reflection of your academic ability. With good essays, and recommendations as well, admission to a good school is definitely possible with a 2.2.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 4:06am On Aug 04, 2010
Consultant:

American schools will typically ask you for your GPA (our class of degree doesn't really mean much here). That being said, most will still require you to have a GPA of 3.0/4.0, which does translate into a 2.1. What you can do is aim for a very high score in your GRE. Then when you fill out your applications, make sure you use the extra space they provide for additional information to provide an expalnantion for why your GPA is not a true reflection of your academic ability. With good essays, and recommendations as well, admission to a good school is definitely possible with a 2.2.

Thanks a bunch, now I'm a lil bit confused.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Godeagle: 8:58pm On Aug 04, 2010
I wanna let y'all know that I got my F-1 visa on thursday, July 27, 2010. What can I say? Dreams do surely come true!

bebure:

I'd just like to thank everyone on this thread once more. I remember when I started preparing for GRE all the way back in August last year. This thread has been a real asset for me in terms of applying to schools. I got my F-1 visa today and I am one step closer to my dream. So thanks guys. Those that are just starting out don't worry. Work hard, try and get a first class or a 2:1, get above 750 (preferably above 780 sha) in your GRE quantitative and above 500 in verbal, write a killer statement of purpose, get good recommendations, get your I-20, pay all neccessary fees and you'll hopefully be where I am today this time next year. This advice is strictly for engineers. If you do something more artsy you probably wanna get a higher verbal score like say 650, but you quantitative can also be lower say 600 to 700. I'll still add my two cents to this thread as a retired General.

Congrats again bro! Very well said.

jidebiz:

Hey Everyone,

Comon don't let this thread become bland. I've always known it to be an exciting and informative one.
Please let the contributions continue,
I'm presently searching for schools offering petroleum engineering in the US. Some factors I'm considering in the determination of my school choice is the rate of employability after study. Another factor is its provision of some form of assistanceship as well.
I'd really appreciate any advice offered to aid in my final choice of applications.
Thank you.

THIS THREAD MUST NOT DIE O O O O O ABEGI smiley

Hey Jidebiz, if you go through all the posts on this thread, I'm sure you will find some answers to these questions. As far as employability goes, reputation and location makes the difference. Most employers hold some schools in high esteem and will go there to recruit even if the school is in the middle of nowhere. An example of such a school is Colorado School of Mines (Colorado doesn't have oil; they only have little gas). On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to think that if the school is located in an environment where all the recruitment action is taking place, the graduates will surely benefit because of the networks the school would have built with the industry. This is true for the Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alaska, Oklahoma and Califonia schools. The best is to get a school that has both qualities (UT, Texas A&M and Stanford top the list). I don't know what the situation is as per assistantships, but I've been told by programs that they may offer it after the student must have proven himself for one semester. So chances are very good if you do very well in the first semester.

Congrats 2Good! All the best to the hopefuls; Keep the dream alive!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 4:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
Godeagle:

I wanna let y'all know that I got my F-1 visa on thursday, July 27, 2010. What can I say? Dreams do surely come true!

Congrats bro. After the initial rejection, it sure calls for celebration. I had to defer my admission to Spring 2011 so I can have enough time to prepare and consider other options.

@ Sefago, et al. What do you guys think about Oklahoma State University, Stillwater? I'm trying to get some sort of funding but it still baffles me I was admitted for a doctoral program without any form of funding.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2010
@kommentator
like consultant said, admission isn't based solely on your undergrad CGPA, though it's an important factor(not all of us were serious in uni now grin) you personal statement and your GRE scores play a part, also, a bit of work experience in your chosen field should help. . . I'd recommend you apply early, and widen the range of schools you want to go to the top schools can be finicky abt your CGPA, but those aren't the only good schools in the world now are they?. . .
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2010
hmm

@ Sefago, et al. What do you guys think about Oklahoma State University, Stillwater? I'm trying to get some sort of funding but it still baffles me I was admitted for a doctoral program without any form of funding.

Most of my knowledge of schools is based on the Northeast and West Coast - remember the US is a huge country, but I know Oklahoma and Louisiana are great places for the oil industry so it would make sense that they would be great for petroleum engineering. However very few state schools offer TA or RA to international students. I havent heard of anyone getting into a doctoral program without funding and I would not encourage anyone to pay for a PhD but . . . if thats what you want to do then . . . but what are your other options?

netotse:

@kommentator
like consultant said, admission isn't based solely on your undergrad CGPA, though it's an important factor(not all of us were serious in uni now grin) you personal statement and your GRE scores play a part, also, a bit of work experience in your chosen field should help. . . I'd recommend you apply early, and widen the range of schools you want to go to the top schools can be finicky abt your CGPA, but those aren't the only good schools in the world now are they?. . .

Yeah true. Actually the most important factors has always been recommendations/ how prestigious your undergraduate is (prestige according to professors lol which tends to be weird) and research for people who did their undergrad in the US. For people who studied in the UK or Nigeria they would usually use your GPA/Class and GRE since research is not overly encouraged at the undergraduate level. Their assumption is that high aptitude equals to good research skills.

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to think that if the school is located in an environment where all the recruitment action is taking place, the graduates will surely benefit because of the networks the school would have built with the industry. This is true for the Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alaska, Oklahoma and Califonia schools. The best is to get a school that has both qualities (UT, Texas A&M and Stanford top the list).

Brilliant and correct. Usually the best engineering schools have always been located in areas where there is significant engineering activity due to ties with industry. Areas like California have the best engineering schools in the world- USC, Caltech, Berkeley and Stanford. Texas has Austin, TAMU and Rice. Michigan which revolutionized the automobile industry has Umich which is great for mechanical.

@ kommentator

Why exactly do you want to do a masters in that subject- like whats your ultimate goal after having a degree in that field?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 8:24pm On Aug 07, 2010
Hello guys,
I thought this thread was dead and gone, me I am itching to get my own admission and visa subsequently but this GRE is killing! I have given up on verbal and trying to concentrate on quantitative for now. How many permutation and combination questions are on the quantitative section? A score of 780 is like getting all 28 questions right? I thought the test was a CAT?

Oh and lastly there is a thread on graduate study in the US guys please please lets talk about schools there I am itching to ask loads of questions.

Congrats Y'all!
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 3:18pm On Aug 11, 2010
SEFAGO:

hmm

Most of my knowledge of schools is based on the Northeast and West Coast - remember the US is a huge country, but I know Oklahoma and Louisiana are great places for the oil industry so it would make sense that they would be great for petroleum engineering. However very few state schools offer TA or RA to international students. I havent heard of anyone getting into a doctoral program without funding and I would not encourage anyone to pay for a PhD but . . . if thats what you want to do then . . . but what are your other options?

Yeah true. Actually the most important factors has always been recommendations/ how prestigious your undergraduate is (prestige according to professors lol which tends to be weird) and research for people who did their undergrad in the US. For people who studied in the UK or Nigeria they would usually use your GPA/Class and GRE since research is not overly encouraged at the undergraduate level. Their assumption is that high aptitude equals to good research skills.

Brilliant and correct. Usually the best engineering schools have always been located in areas where there is significant engineering activity due to ties with industry. Areas like California have the best engineering schools in the world- USC, Caltech, Berkeley and Stanford. Texas has Austin, TAMU and Rice. Michigan which revolutionized the automobile industry has Umich which is great for mechanical.

@ kommentator

Why exactly do you want to do a masters in that subject- like whats your ultimate goal after having a degree in that field?

@SEFAGO
Thanks a whole lot bro. I intend getting into lecturing and Biomedical research fully after my masters.
Re: Preparing for GRE by BlackkBoy: 4:12am On Aug 14, 2010
Hello house.
Hi sefago. Quite som time huh?
Please I need to discuss a matter with you. Can I PI u on collegeconfidential?
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:19pm On Aug 14, 2010
yeah definitely.
Re: Preparing for GRE by czard: 5:46pm On Aug 19, 2010
SCYLLA:

Hello guys,
I thought this thread was dead and gone, me I am itching to get my own admission and visa subsequently but this GRE is killing! I have given up on verbal and trying to concentrate on quantitative for now. How many permutation and combination questions are on the quantitative section? A score of 780 is like getting all 28 questions right? I thought the test was a CAT?

Oh and lastly there is a thread on graduate study in the US guys please please lets talk about schools there I am itching to ask loads of questions.

Congrats Y'all!

Dude, where can i register and write the gre and how much will it cost?

thanks
Re: Preparing for GRE by dxavier: 5:15pm On Aug 21, 2010
i had 790 in Q and710 in verbal,i need to get to MIT,i could coach whoever privately
Re: Preparing for GRE by drstasi: 11:05pm On Aug 23, 2010
Hi all.This thread seems to be focused on Engineering people.Please all,I am a dr and intend to write the GRE in November.Is there a different thread for medical drs?or can i freely ask my questions here?
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 12:40am On Aug 24, 2010
drstasi:

Hi all.This thread seems to be focused on Engineering people.Please all,I am a dr and intend to write the GRE in November.Is there a different thread for medical drs?or can i freely ask my questions here?

Why not. Go ahead.
Re: Preparing for GRE by jamebex(m): 10:54pm On Aug 26, 2010
Just wandering now that analogy and antonym will be removed by 2011 is it still advisable to still mug the barron wordlist
Re: Preparing for GRE by drstasi: 3:08pm On Aug 27, 2010
If analogy and autonyms are removed what would the exams entail then?Pls where and how can i register for the GRE?
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 3:22am On Aug 28, 2010
analogy and antonyms removed ke?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Kommentato(m): 2:57pm On Sep 10, 2010
Where are the ''Bio'' peeps?[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2010
Hey guys,
Been a while since I entered this site. I'm currently at the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands, where I am studying for MSc. Petroleum Engineering on full scholarship. I want to let you guys know that there are lots of scholarship opportunities available for international students in the school of Applied Earth Science and would advice you guys to consider applying here.
And also, the academic standard is world class. I am happy I made the decision coming here.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2010
I agree, most Nigerians are not aware of how good TU Delft is. Its one of the best Technical Universities in the world and oil companies would probably be rushing u. Dont forget us when u make that money ooo

What are the requirements for their scholarships? Put it here so that everyone can know. Also how long does it take to get the scholarship
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2010
Hello guys!!
I have read my nyash out but still a wee bit jittery. I am afraid I did not give enough attention to the verbal and I hope it does not bite me in the nyash. I am writing next week
czard:

Dude, where can i register and write the gre and how much will it cost?

thanks
It cost 35,500 naira I registered with first logic I am still awaiting my confirmation email though and I am pretty peeved they have not done it already. All the same you can google firstlogic to get their website and contact info. All the best bro.

@Sefago
Which one be delf again? long time grin grin grin grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by seuncaroline: 9:51pm On Sep 14, 2010
@2good,
you are right that lots of scholarship are available at TU Delft Sch of Applied Earth Science and in holland universities but i am confused on which one u actually got plus what are the requirements,
What is your background and did u apply with GRE?
Re: Preparing for GRE by franklincn(m): 10:42am On Sep 15, 2010
Iv bin going thru d thread,and d contributions so far av bin very useful.i intend applyin 4 masters in electronics system engr@ d university of regina canada,but part of d application instruction states dat int'l applicant are encouraged 2 submit d result of GRE especially 4 d subject test in d disciplin being sought

I wil like 2 find out d GRE subject test 4 d course i intend reading.
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 9:35pm On Sep 16, 2010
I got the NFP(Netherlands Fellowship Programme) administered my Nuffic, my background is Chemical Engineering fron Unilag and I got admitted for the MSc Petroleum Engineering programme.
Check out www.nuffic.nl. The requirements are clearly stated out there
Re: Preparing for GRE by oolu(m): 11:36pm On Sep 16, 2010
2good, I have been feeling you. thanks a bunch. I graduated from Unilag too and I am planning on attending your school. I had an above 4.0 GP too in electrical/electronics engineering and currrently reading for my gre exam. I dey feel you. enjoy your masters program. I am sure you will fly. you know we akokites are too much.
Re: Preparing for GRE by borie4u(m): 4:03am On Sep 17, 2010
2good:

Hey guys,
Been a while since I entered this site. I'm currently at the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands, where I am studying for MSc. Petroleum Engineering on full scholarship. I want to let you guys know that there are lots of scholarship opportunities available for international students in the school of Applied Earth Science and would advice you guys to consider applying here.
And also, the academic standard is world class. I am happy I made the decision coming here.
Pls i am an Applied Geophysics GraduateĀ  from O.A.U who really is interested in University of Delft.How can one get their Full scholarship.Guess Holland has tution free university.Please either reply here or send me full info on how i can get a full scholarship to delft to my mail borie2u@yahoo.com.Thanks and will be expecting ur mail
Re: Preparing for GRE by jidebiz(m): 9:26am On Sep 18, 2010
Hi all,
I hope you are all aware of the imminent change in the GRE format from next year. It's going to be a lot different from the present format and I believe it'd be considerably more difficult because they are going to introduce the use of a calculator for the quantitative section. They are also removing the easy antonym and analogy section from the verbal and replacing it with more comprehension reading and other stuffs as well.
You can go to this site to learn a lot about GRE and admission requirememts. You can also get free downloads of GRE materials------www.happyschoolsblog.com

In addition to the site above, another good site to get almost any GRE software, ebooks, audiobook and lots more------ www.gredownloads..com

I hope this helps those planning to write the GRE soon.

GRE is easy if you prepare VERY VERY hard,

God help us all,

Amen
Re: Preparing for GRE by seuncaroline: 12:00pm On Sep 20, 2010
@2good,
thanks for ur response.
i ve chked the site and read all info: admission req,app process but i am still confused about the process and deadline.
i got the beow repy from the school:
"The admission for September 2011 will start again in September 2010 and go until April 1 2011"

but i am seeing 1 Oct as deadline for the embassy to collect our NFP App from the nuffic.nl site, thats supposed to be after you have received admission and gotten your admission letter. Also, TU Delft's Msc Petroleum Engr program was not listed on the ms excel overview of the master/short courses programs.

I understand that we have to be admitted first b4 applying for NFP thru the embassy,who will approve our app b4 submitting to nuffic, quite a tedius process but how did u go about all these?
Around when did you apply and recieve ur admission offer and letter?
When did you apply to the embassy and when did they award you the fellowship?

thanks again for the reply.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 11:00am On Sep 22, 2010
It was crazy as I missed my flight to abuja(thanks to pdp Convention) then had to take the one for the day I was writing my exam, I managed to reach there 30 mins to my exam time and heard the stupid server crashed and a workstation was converted to the server needless to say I did not start until 4 hours later and it was apparent I would miss my evening flight back out of Abuja and I spent the time trying to get Aero to rebook my flight, I was mentally physically and emotionally exhausted when I started the exam. So my advice to you, make sure you get to your exam center way way before the time and remain relaxed if you can.

Finally wrote my GRE and got 1220, 700Q and 520V. I hope this would be enough to get something good, but for now I am graduating from this thread to the schools and admission thread. I wish the rest of you luck.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (44) (Reply)

The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria? / Male Students Sign On Boobs Of Female Students (PICS) / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.