Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,674 members, 7,945,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 10:40 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (98411 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:01pm On Jun 03, 2010
before some of the posts got deleted

@ flo_path

You were asking about the Gates. I previously mentioned you need around a 3.8 to have a good chance. Also you need to be endorsed by your university. Lots of Nigerians win Gates- being the best in Nigeria is not that hard lol

Now being one of the best in the US, to compete for a Gates is not easy.

It seems you are interested in Harvard SEAS. I would point out that such programs are extremely interdisciplinary. They dont pick you based on grades, but on FIT I think its a good idea though to minor in something unique or gain a research skill that is needed for a project.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 2:18am On Jun 04, 2010
Interesting article on H1Bs but from 2 years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/washington/01visa.html?_r=1
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 8:36am On Jun 04, 2010
SEFAGO:

Interesting article on H1Bs but from 2 years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/washington/01visa.html?_r=1

Thanks for the article SEFAGO.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:42am On Jun 04, 2010
One is that the H1-B is significantly abused especially as mentioned in the article. Its common knowledge that Infosy and Satyam are two of the largest sponsors of the H1-B but only sponsor visas for engineer from India. Also in the case of engineers- firms usually find hire foreign engineers and pay them lower wages than they would for American engineers which is another way the system is abused.

However, I can state confidently that with a asters of PhD degree in engineering, one chances of getting sponsorship are way better than people with soft skills. I did know people who got immediate sponsorship at the bachelors level- most where working in the finance sector or technology sector.

There is also another type of visa in which you could work for a multinational and then get transferred to the US office.  This is quite a common technique though top tech companies, are already using this loophole and gobbling all the work visas they can get to get skilled talent.
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath(m): 7:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
On the gates issue, I am still trying to understand some things about that award. I know the school has to approve you just like they do for Rhodes and goldwater, but I don't understand how it would work given that I am not applying for the US scholarship. it seems that quite a few Nigerians get it from time to time. Most of them, may be even all of them schooled in Nigeria, so I don't know if that is also an issue. am gonna contact my school department about that. The procedure is pretty elaborate, but I think I would work on it. I looked up some profiles, most of them had like 3.9-4.0, but those were all US people. I hope a 3.8 is enough, especially from naija, but I still have to do more research on it.

On another note, I think the engineers here should start considering caltech. I know someone going there in the fall. They like minority applicants, well qualified minority applicants, so they might give a little room. You have to be top notch though, but if you are, they will do anything to make you come over there, plus its CA, nice weather and girls. Another thing with engineering is that it is pretty easier to trade up from a typical school to a top school depending on how hardworking you are.

As for H seas, I know a lot of it is interdisciplinary which is part of what scares me about it, because that term can mean a lot of things. I am generally interested in that kind of research, so hopefully that would show in my application. Hst is pretty unique and they seem to have a high concentration of freaks.

so when are you guys starting graduate school? I like the Uk vs US. I just thank my stars everyday that I didn't go over there for college. The US has K leg too, but it is pretty manageable.
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath(m): 8:07pm On Jun 04, 2010
ok so I am kinda bored today so I just wanna rant. I hate it that investment bankers and all these finance people make so much more than engineers. Plus what do we get for it? financial meltdown upon financial meltdown. Almost everyone goes to work for those banks or hedge funds. It's just not right man. Things need to change. Engineers don't get treated well. I don't wanna work in a lab forever, so am kinda apprehensive about this graduate school thing. Anyway, CS is a really good field, especially artificial intelligence. I used to think most startups languish in poverty, but those guys are enjoying anyhow. You just gotta know the right people I guess.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 8:26pm On Jun 04, 2010
ok so I am kinda bored today so I just wanna rant. I hate it that investment bankers and all these finance people make so much more than engineers. Plus what do we get for it? financial meltdown upon financial meltdown. Almost everyone goes to work for those banks or hedge funds. It's just not right man. Things need to change. Engineers don't get treated well. I don't wanna work in a lab forever, so am kinda apprehensive about this graduate school thing.

You could still work in an investment bank grin grin grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
as
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:20pm On Jun 04, 2010
http://www.gatesscholar.org/our-scholars/where-are-they-from.asp

This gives you profiles on some of the gates people. I beleiev you probably have been to this site. there are supposed to be 5 scholars from Nigeria. I think if you apply you might be placed in the US pool.

Nigeria has 5 scholars, the US has 436 wtf we are a former British colony. Anyways a quick sampling of Americans with gates, lots of top school bias including top liberal art colleges. India and US have the largest number of scholars I think outside of Europe.

Another thing I noticed about British schools is that they love people who graduated from American Universities regardless of whether its a good school or not. When I mean love, its like true love lol grin.
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 1:00am On Jun 05, 2010
flo_path:

On the gates issue, I am still trying to understand some things about that award. I know the school has to approve you just like they do for Rhodes and goldwater, but I don't understand how it would work given that I am not applying  for the US scholarship.  it seems that quite a few Nigerians get it from time to time. Most of them, may be even all of them schooled in Nigeria, so I don't know if that is also an issue. am gonna contact my school department about that. The procedure is pretty elaborate, but I think I would work on it. I looked up some profiles, most of them had like 3.9-4.0, but those were all US people.  I hope a 3.8 is enough, especially from naija, but I still have to do more research on it.

On another note, I think the engineers here should start considering caltech. I know someone going there in the fall. They like minority applicants, well qualified minority applicants, so they might give a little room. You have to be top notch though, but if you are, they will do anything to make you come over there, plus its CA, nice weather and girls. Another thing with engineering is that it is pretty easier to trade up from a typical school to a top school depending on how hardworking you are.

As for H seas, I know a lot of it is interdisciplinary which is part of what scares me about it, because that term can mean a lot of things. I am generally interested in that kind of research, so hopefully that would show in my application. Hst is pretty unique and they seem to have a high concentration of freaks. 

so when are you guys starting graduate school?  I like the Uk vs US. I just thank my stars everyday that I didn't go over there for college. The US has K leg too, but it is pretty manageable.

SEFAGO:

http://www.gatesscholar.org/our-scholars/where-are-they-from.asp

This gives you profiles on some of the gates people. I beleiev you probably have been to this site. there are supposed to be 5 scholars from Nigeria. I think if you apply you might be placed in the US pool.

Nigeria has 5 scholars, the US has 436 wtf we are a former British colony. Anyways a quick sampling of Americans with gates, lots of top school bias including top liberal art colleges. India and US have the largest number of scholars I think outside of Europe.

Another thing I noticed about British schools is that they love people who graduated from American Universities regardless of whether its a good school or not. When I mean love, its like true love lol grin.

@ flo_path, go for it.

No harm in trying for the scholarship. As will be expected, the competitions tough. As SEFAGO noted, your American degree is a +.

Very strong recommendation from your school may very well be the most important step. Also, it is important you have real extra-curricular activities that stand out. Plans and dreams are OK but activities that have started affecting the lives of others is a double + (For extra credits show how you are using your American degree to affect lives in naija, this will show the committee that you will utilize the advanced degree even more when you get it).

Beyond having a first class, the cumulative GPA must really be something, and we do get 'em in naija. One of the gate scholars was the best graduating female in my faculty. Being that high in the faculty means the B's were very scarce. On a 4.0 scale that is over 3.8 for the department toppers and well over 3.9 for the faculty toppers (mostly from ChemE but from ME maybe once in 5 or 6 years).

Wishing you good luck as you seek the prestigious award.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:21am On Jun 05, 2010

If you mean transferring, I think thats impossible.

Speaking of Caltech, there departments are really too small. I know in their undergrad, they had like 8 black people in the whole school when I was in secondary school.

Errm what do you mean like well qualified like at least above a 3.3+ grin or 3.9+, you know qualified is relative.

Why would you want to go to cambridge though lol? I dont think they have your field in engineering.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 1:46am On Jun 05, 2010
Very strong recommendation from your school may very well be the most important step. Also, it is important you have real extra-curricular activities that stand out. P[b]lans and dreams are OK but activities that have started affecting the lives of others is a double + (For extra credits show how you are using your American degree to affect lives in naija, this will show the committee that you will utilize the advanced degree even more when you get it[/b]).

Very smart suggestion. The problem is implementing it.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 6:45am On Jun 05, 2010
"  Beyond having a first class, the cumulative GPA must really be something, and we do get 'em in naija. One of the gate scholars was the best graduating female in my faculty. Being that high in the faculty means the B's were very scarce. On a 4.0 scale that is over 3.8 for the department toppers and well over 3.9 for the faculty toppers (mostly from ChemE but from ME maybe once in 5 or 6 years)."
i have always wondered why ChemE always has so many firsts in Nigeria? I remember in secondary school all the best students wanted to study ChemE.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 10:48am On Jun 05, 2010
SEFAGO:

i have always wondered why ChemE always has so many firsts in Nigeria? I remember in secondary school all the best students wanted to study ChemE.

My secondary school in Nigeria was the same. A lot of the best and brightest opted for chemical engineering in places like Imperial, Cambridge, Loughborough, MIT and Stanford. The others (like me) did mostly mechanical engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering and to a lesser extent non-science related degrees like economics and business management. I think the reason for the high subscription to chemical engineering at the time we were choosing our undergrad programs was due to this belief that chemical engineering gives easy access and is very relevant to the upstream sector of the oil and gas industry which is one of the most lucrative industries in Nigeria (for now). The funny thing is chemical engineering really relates more to the downstream sector (refining etc) which is not what most people are aiming for. That said you can still get into the upsream sector fairly easily with a chemical engineering degree (2:1 is the requirement in the UK) as well as with a mechanical, civil, geology background etc. But I've heard from a lot of people that those with a petroleum engineering background are paid a bit more for the same job smiley (don't know how true that is).

So in summary, it could be that those who opt to study chemical engineering are generally brighter, have more foresight and are career driven/motivated from the onset which let's them perform their best in school hence the first class degrees. It could also just be that chemical engineering is easier than say mechanical engineering (I've had this argument too many times in the past and don't want to go back down that road).

That said I think examinations worldwide are easier these days than they were in my father's time. He had all  A's for his London GCE's (further math, math, english, physics and chemistry). For his WASCE he had 5 A1's (math, chemistry, geography, biology and physics ) and 3 A2's - now called B2's - (further math, french and english) and won several national level competitions (this was in the sixties and seventies) yet he didn't get a first class in his civil engineering class from Unilag (he did have the best result that year however at 69%). These days I read about first class results up and down Nigeria and the UK (me I only got a 2:1 so I shouldn't even be talking). Perhaps we have just become smarter with time or maybe it's easier for us because we don't have to use all those archaic tables they were forced to use in the time before calculators.

In a not completely unrelated matter have you heard of Robert Lee Satcher Jr. The guy has a BS and PhD in Chemical Engineering from MIT plus a medical degree from Harvard. He is now an astronaut for NASA. Talk about brains!
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath(m): 9:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
I have noticed the chemical engineering craze too, it has not stopped. Here, a lot of naija ppl want to go to medical school. It is just insane, every other naija person wants to go. Anyway, I don't really think exams are getting any easier, I just think that people now know what these different exams test. Wassce has been around for a long time, there are lots of past questions all over the place, so overtime people would come to understand how to tackle the exams. It is the same thing for major standardized tests. Nowadays you even have companies devoted to studying and tracking standardized exams so that they can let students know how to approach it. I think we have more tools now compared to the previous generation.

@Sefago:It differs from department to department. Chemical engineering is competitive everywhere, so I would say something like a 3.5 would probably be a minimum considering the kinds of applicants they get. The guy going in the fall, had a 3.7 or 3.6 I think for undergrad, but he also did a masters in the Uk. He dint really get involved in research much for undergrad, but did for his masters. Caltech doesn't really do well for minority applicants/students for undergrad. Most of them that get in there would probably get in at somewhere like MIT too or a more appealing school. The application season also matters, because you would be compared to a lot of the other students applying.

As for why I am considering cambridge. uhm. A lot of reasons. I am really not yet comfortable with the idea of going directly into a phd program, so I am looking for an intermediate program where I would be able to get my head together concerning what I would like to pursue. They have a good controls, CS and AI department that is actually doing really interesting research. I am really interested in that kind of research that combines bio, meche and CS stuff. I attended a presentation by a couple of guys from there, so I know they at least have something going on. I want to take a break from the US after my undergrad, so that is really appealing too. This is all based on assumptions because I don't know how things would play out. I am actually only going to go there if I am not going to pay for a significant part of their outrageous fees. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 9:11pm On Jun 05, 2010
That said I think examinations worldwide are easier these days than they were in my father's time. He had all  A's for his London GCE's (further math, math, english, physics and chemistry). For his WASCE he had 5 A1's (math, chemistry, geography, biology and physics ) and 3 A2's - now called B2's - (further math, french and english) and won several national level competitions (this was in the sixties and seventies) yet he didn't get a first class in his civil engineering class from Unilag (he did have the best result that year however at 69%). These days I read about first class results up and down Nigeria and the UK (me I only got a 2:1 so I shouldn't even be talking). Perhaps we have just become smarter with time or maybe it's easier for us because we don't have to use all those archaic tables they were forced to use in the time before calculators.

I think a first class in Nigeria is way more difficult to get that in the UK. I have classmates with first class at Imperial who I used to pummel in secondary school lol. While a good friend of mine who was around the same academic level that i was in secondary school has a 2:2 in his field from unilag. Also 80% of the grades in the UK are first class and second class upper which makes it difficult to get less than that.

Infact I usually respect Nigerian first class students (In terms of intelligence) ten times more than a UK first class or a US summa cum laude or magna cum laude though I do sometimes doubt the quality of there education.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:13pm On Jun 05, 2010
@Sefago:It differs from department to department. Chemical engineering is competitive everywhere, so I would say something like a 3.5 would probably be a minimum considering the kinds of applicants they get. The guy going in the fall, had a 3.7 or 3.6 I think for undergrad, but he also did a masters in the Uk. He dint really get involved in research much for undergrad, but did for his masters. Caltech doesn't really do well for minority applicants/students for undergrad. Most of them that get in there would probably get in at somewhere like MIT too or a more appealing school. The application season also matters, because you would be compared to a lot of the other students applying.

Yeah but I feel Caltech is way harder to get into than MIT. Infact Caltech is the type of school I always skip whenever I am considering applying anywhere because its a true tech school. That school is scary man.

If I may ask, what grad school in the UK did your friend go to?

They have a good controls, CS and AI department that is actually doing really interesting research. I am really interested in that kind of research that combines bio, meche and CS stuff. I attended a presentation by a couple of guys from there, so I know they at least have something going on. I want to take a break from the US after my undergrad, so that is really appealing too. This is all based on assumptions because I don't know how things would play out. I am actually only going to go there if I am not going to pay for a significant part of their outrageous fees. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hmm seems like you are interested in Bio-MEMS.

I am sure you could get in for grad school, but as you stated paying the fees is not really worth it. You actually have to be nominated by your department for the award. So you must be ranked as one of the best applicants in the department you apply for at Cambridge. I think you have a good chance IMO if you can still maintain a 3.8. Just get an application and apply- also if you are doing a research degree then ask a professor if you have a good chance of getting it . I think if you can convince a professor to nominate you or gauge your chances then you have a good chance. You never know until you try tongue
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 10:33pm On Jun 05, 2010
SEFAGO:

Also 80% of the grades in the UK are first class and second class upper which makes it difficult to get less than that.

Infact I usually respect Nigerian first class students (In terms of intelligence) ten times more than a UK first class or a US summa cumlaude or magna cumlaude though I do sometimes doubt the quality of there education.

Woo. Chill on that  80% figure SEFAGO. Where did you hear that? In my mechanical engineering graduating class only about 44% of us graduating had a 1st or 2:1 and that was an exceptional class (the year before me had an even lower percent - like 38% or so and only one first class). That 80% figure is waaaaay out there. There are a lot of useless degrees in this world like Furniture and Desk Design whereby you can sleep and party all year long and still get a first class. Take statistics with a grain of salt shocked besides the actual figure is more like 56% nationwide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification) and doesn't consider those who drop out (at least 20% of my mechanical engineering class dropped out in the first or second year).

These figures I've given you are still quite high compared to back in the day but the UK engineering degrees (at reputable institutions) are not a walk in the park. With regards to your friend who went to Imperial, maybe he became more serious and maybe the guy in unilag slacked off. I barely got the A level grades I needed to attend my uni but came out close to the top. People make progress.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:40pm On Jun 05, 2010
I meant in the whole school. Engineering would be less because its a very difficult course. Its just like in the US, engineering is always grade deflated, and way more rigorous than an arts and sciences degree.

Look at this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2003/mar/18/studentwork.highereducation

It gives a break down
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 10:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
This was in 2003, it has even gotten worse with some schools in the 70s being in the late 80s now.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2010
Okay. Well naturally I'd expect the schools listed to have much better graduating profiles than a student from London South Bank (God forgive me). I will also expect Harvard students to do much better than someone at a third tier university in the States. Speaking of Harvard, my cousin who currently attends told me that they rarely ever give grades lower than a B-. This makes the outside world think all the students are doing okay at the very least but the Harvard folks would know your'e doing rather badly if you have a B-.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:23pm On Jun 05, 2010
Yeah a B- is the universal grade. But in the sciences they give Cs a lot. Also getting an A could be harder. It depends but still my argument is that schools in the UK and the US give way too much better grades than Nigeria or other third world countries.

In Nigeria you are sure a first class is one of the best in his department, in  the US a 3.7 means the student gamed the system while the UK could mean similar things.

I am more worried that its hard to distinguish "good students" even at top schools. Because a school is good, gives them no right to dash out grades lol.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 5:55am On Jun 06, 2010
20% of my mechanical engineering class dropped out in the first or second year).

LOL, same thing here. At least 50% of people who came with me into the department left. There reason- I wanna party and enjoy my life more. In retrospect, it looks like a good reason tongue.

The rest of the people were weird. A lot of them socially awkward, infact I was the only one obsessed with partying tongue
Re: Preparing for GRE by dayokanu(m): 6:25am On Jun 06, 2010
I had my undergrad in OAU Ife.

One of the sets after mine, 128 students entered for Computer Engineering after yr one 64 were sent home straight, And mind you, Ife doesn't allow you to change to Bus Adm or Social Sciences like UNILAG, You are sent back home to rewrite JAMB.

But I cant really say which one is easier, Schooling Abroad or in Nigeria
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 6:47am On Jun 06, 2010
One of the sets after mine, 128 students entered for Computer Engineering after yr one 64 were sent home straight, And mind you, Ife doesn't allow you to change to Bus Adm or Social Sciences like UNILAG, You are sent back home to rewrite JAMB.

But I cant really say which one is easier, Schooling Abroad or in Nigeria

Depends, as bebure pointed out, lots of people adjust when they get abroad. So its impossible to tell.
Re: Preparing for GRE by netotse(m): 3:13pm On Jun 06, 2010
http://hotfile.com/dl/9886679/dc902cc/GRE_Bible_v2.1.rar.html

http://rs381.rapidshare.com/files/166003172/GRE_Bible_v2.1.rar

for the guy that mailed me, i'm posting the links here just in case there are other people that want the software. . .either of them should work.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2010
thanks netotse
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2010
@Nknight: I see you have a list of schools in your sig. did you apply there? how did it go?

@Sefago: he did the advanced chem eng program at cambridge.

are you guys following that gulf oil spill thingy? Loiusiana has terrible luck mehn. not fair for them. sad
Re: Preparing for GRE by NKnight: 11:17pm On Jun 06, 2010
flo_path:

@Nknight: I see you have a list of schools in your sig. did you apply there? how did it go?

@Sefago: he did the advanced chem eng program at cambridge.

are you guys following that gulf oil spill thingy? Loiusiana has terrible luck mehn. not fair for them. sad

@ flo_path: Yes, was focused on the US but tried 1 in UK and 1 in Asia. It went well.

UIUC: MS/PhD. Asked to contact faculty in search for RA shocked
UT Austin: PhD. Full Funding, RA if I get an adviser before resumption. Guaranteed TA otherwise.
FSU: PhD. Full Funding, RA.
Princeton: PhD. Full funding, RA.
USC: MS. Still waiting for funding decision.
Caltech: PhD. Rejected. Not even the personalized letter I got could soften the pain, It really was and somehow still is, my dream school.

Accepted into MIST, Abu Dhabi. MS. I don't know how good they are but it seems they have some support from MIT and the application was FREE. Their offer is mad; Tuition, medicals, housing, laptop, stipend and air ticket. Guys without much family support should seriously consider this school.

Also got into one of the usual UK petroleum schools on the SORSAS scholarship. Was also offered an MPhil/PhD here in naija but I don't think I'm taking any of the last two.

Overall, I think I did well. And I'm happy as some of my close friends did too. Our struggles weren't in vain. Whenever I think about Caltech I feel we humans are just insatiable. Now whether that is a bad thing depends on so many factors and so many perspectives. wink
Re: Preparing for GRE by flopath(m): 11:52pm On Jun 06, 2010
NKnight:

@ flo_path: Yes, was focused on the US but tried 1 in UK and 1 in Asia. It went well.

UIUC: MS/PhD. Asked to contact faculty in search for RA shocked
UT Austin: PhD. Full Funding, RA if I get an adviser before resumption. Guaranteed TA otherwise.
FSU: PhD. Full Funding, RA.
Princeton: PhD. Full funding, RA.
USC: MS. Still waiting for funding decision.
Caltech: PhD. Rejected. Not even the personalized letter I got could soften the pain, It really was and somehow still is, my dream school.

Accepted into MIST, Abu Dhabi. MS. I don't know how good they are but it seems they have some support from MIT and the application was FREE. Their offer is mad; Tuition, medicals, housing, laptop, stipend and air ticket. Guys without much family support should seriously consider this school.

Also got into one of the usual UK petroleum schools on the SORSAS scholarship. Was also offered an MPhil/PhD here in naija but I don't think I'm taking any of the last two.

Overall, I think I did well. And I'm happy as some of my close friends did too. Our struggles weren't in vain. Whenever I think about Caltech I feel we humans are just insatiable. Now whether that is a bad thing depends on so many factors and so many perspectives. wink

Are you kidding? lol. Your results are fantastic. a lot of people here only dream of results like that. What kind of research are you interested in, or does it vary by the school? So did you have a first class? I am still kinda surprised that you were rejected at caltech given your other acceptances. May be they have a bias against universities they are not too familiar with. I'll have to look into caltech more, they seem to be more hardcore than I thought. I just hope i do as well when I apply. Why did you not apply to MIT? I hope I am not drowning you with questions grin I am just hoping to get as much info as I can about this process as a whole.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:55pm On Jun 06, 2010
Yeah caltech is hardcore lol, more than MIT. Most people dont know how hardcore it is lol.

Also they would be very biased against schools they dont and even moreso against schools in the US that are not good in science. I only know one person who is heading to caltech - he is doing environmental engineering while I know close to 10 have gone to stanford for some sort of Phd.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SCYLLA: 9:50am On Jun 07, 2010
Hello Guys,
Nice thread you have got going here, it seems this thread is even doing more work than its original title suggested. I have always thought that graduate people were under represented in this section. Do you guys think it would be nice to raise a thread here specifically for grad education in the US, Uk and Canada? I see a lot of you already have the experience in such matters.

Now to my own wahala oh  grin grin

I am preparing to write GRE in three months, I started two weeks ago and I sucked so bad at the verbal section for one reason, I did not know the meaning of most words and it was becoming frustrating so I decided to use the wordlist while learning the various sections and my results improved drastically as much as 18/20( I have really only covered Antonyms and analogies so far).I don't know if it is good practice to learn it this way, but what I set out to achieve is to know the techniques behind these sections and not get frustrated by the meaning of the words, such as building bridges in analogies and so on. I plan to go through all the sections like this, then go back to the word lists and then take practice GRE tests in barrons. Finally I would do GRE CAT tests with kaplan's premier cd, all of which I got online ( I am a bit internet savvy). However I am saving studying quantitative and analytical writing for last mostly because I am of an engineering background which brings me to the next problem.

I am supposed to choose four schools to go along with my registration for the GRE ( I hope I am right), I am not too crazy about the whole RA or TA thing although it is a little factor, my first priority is to study in a very good school and I know this would not be easy especially as I have got no real working experience( save for a 6 month stint at NNPC). I studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Port Harcourt and graduated in December 2009. I finished with a 2:1(6th best) with a CGPA of 3.90/5.0 in what was the best set the department has had since its inception (which was 0 First class, 20 2nd Upper, 20 2nd lower and 10 3rd class all out of a class of 160 people  grin grin grin grin ). I want to study for an Msc in petroleum engineering as I would love to specialize in drilling or reservoir engineering.

From all the research* I managed to do online I managed to come up with a list of four schools

[list]
[li]Texas A& M[/li]
[li]University of Texas at Austin[/li]
[li]University of Oklahoma[/li]
[li]Louisiana state University[/li]
[/list]

I had colorado school of mines in place of LSU but a cousin of mine currently doing his MSc in the same course at Texas A&M told me the school was relatively expensive and I should consider LSU. I had written to the grad department at the University of texas at austin and the reply I got was that because of the high number of applications they take only first class students, I wonder how true that is. Anyway in summary these are my questions

1. Is my list realistic? or do I have to add more schools to it? ( I think I have to pay extra for that)
2. What do you think my minimum GRE score should be if I am to be considered with my background?
3. How much does work experience weigh in getting positive responses?
4. What is life like in the US after one finishes grad school, I intend to at least gain very good working experience there before maybe returning to Nigeria. I know there is a financial meltdown but compared to the Uk and Canada what are the chances of securing one?
5. In the event that I cannot get one immediately, what options are available?
6. On the issue of Canada I also intend to send an application to the University of Alberta, I hear very good reviews for Canada but I am still surprised that many people do not consider going there especially as I have heard that they have less immigrant visa issues, is there anyone that can throw more light on this?

Finally, I know some of my questions are like I am already thinking too far, but I always like to take in at least a perception of what the big picture looks like before and when I venture into anything, furthermore I think my post might be a good starter for the graduate studies thread, but abeg o you gurus should open it oh  grin grin grin grin.

All that avails is flight

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (44) (Reply)

Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam / 6 Of The Most Beautiful University Libraries In Nigeria (photos) / Leaked Sex Tape: Why Babcock University Reserves The Right To Expel Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.