Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,876 members, 7,872,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 02:42 AM

Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (15447 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / Curious!! Breastfeeding Inside The Church, Right Or Wrong? / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by adefash(m): 3:34pm On Jun 28, 2012
love4ual: i have always pitied catholics.........i was born a catholic but when i found the truth .......i did not look back.......thank God 4 members of my family followed me out.............

catholics are just deceived..............
U'R WRONG!!!!
I was born a catholic & no more a catholic though! that has not made me to say evil about them.u may not be comfortable with so many things hapening there.go somewhere else.u wan tell me say u no dey Bleep?dem teach u dat for wia u dey now?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by jamp: 3:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
We don hear oooooooooooooo. leave us alone. no matter what you guys say here it will not change anything. so whats the point arguing.

but note this point: the bible you are quoting was given to you by the catholic church. if all you are saying are correct, they would have removed them(cos it contradicts what they preach) just the way they removed other ones that says Jesus kiss mary magdalene.

i plead with the moderators to stop bringing up such issues that will not unite us as one Nigeria. we are so particular about religion. Lets talk on what concerns us as a nation and leave all these argument.PLEASSSSSSSSSSS
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
mikron: dude confessing their sin to a priest or father is not even the one that is anoying but the fact that they always worship a mere human MARY the mother of GOD, for crying out loud mary shld not be calld virgin anymore cos my bible told me she went on and gave birth to other children aside our lord. Abi person wey born about 5 children na still imaculate virgin the way catholics like to call her? Read:
matt 1: 24-25
pslm 69: 4-9
mark 6: 2-3
matt 12: 46-47
it is also written in the bible as one of the 10 commandments that thou shalt not bow down to or serve any graven image.
This the catholics do with impunity. Bowing to mary,'s sculpted image in where they call the GROTTO.
The bible also directs us to seek God directly n to confess our sins to God and that he is just to forgive us our sins not thru mary like the catholics always do. Calling her their mediator.
Hail mary pray for us sinners. Lol. Mary na God?
I comment my reserve

In as much as your rant above is baseless, useless and unsubstantiated, at least the Virgin Mary is of God and is divine. Isn't honouring the Virgin Mary better than worshiping earthly and nigerian pastors and screaming ''daddy daddy'' everywhere?. Pastors every one and his dog know are hardcore criminals and loonies who loot peoples' money to buy jets and marry beautiful damsels that they would divorce after 4 years.

Oh, i forgot, we are not supposed to touch the Lord's anointed right? Clowns. Get outta here with that trash.

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
Super1759: Abeg make una leave catholics,there wahala too much.I have a frnd who is even a mass servant.one day.he bleeped 2 girls and we even ate sm1's meat.when a priest in our compund came back.he went 2 confess.afta,I asked if he told the priest what we did.he is"am I mad? I only told him.I lied and stole what doesn't belong 2 me..and other sins I can't remember" that's all.he blessed him.I was mad! Is dis repentence when u lied upon the sin u commited? Even d priest tried a seducing act on ma cousin when she went 4 confession(she told only me cos we are reali close)
During the election.I worked with inec and we do stay in the priest compound.mehn,I can't jus say what I saw there.lets stop fooling ourselves.the bible said a broken and a contrait heart,he won't oberlook.not when ur talk 2 ur fellow man 2 help beg 4 mercy.and later pray ² mother mary ² forgive u...wtf..infact I still believe in the scripture that said"comdemnation will start from the house of God"let ur conscience judge u all

if somebody decides to tell lies during confession then that is his between him and God, mind you it doesnt give you the right to condemn the catholic faith, and who gave you people the right to judge?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by adefash(m): 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
4evergod3: There is so much that is wrong with the catholic church and their worship. too much to be handled here. Most catholics just follow without asking questions or doing any research whatsoever.

Acts 17:11

Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
AND HAVE U ESTABLISHED FROM UR BAIBU THAT TITHING HAS BEEN ABOLISHED?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Pirosaw: 3:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
I am of the opinion that people should spend more time in developing their relationship with God and be Christlike in all we do, have open mind to what you don't know and be willing to lean new things. You must be holy asa your heavenly father is holy, work on your self to attain holiness so that you can see God face to face when He call you. What unite us is less than what divide us. God bless you.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by sammaking(m): 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
Ubenedictus: my bible say 'confess your sin to another'. I will accept the bible not your words.

"Confess ya fault one to another"
This simply means "Acknowledge ya faults, show remose ( say im sorry) n repent from it". Among you
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Super1759: 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
[quote author=irpheezy]

if somebody decides to tell lies during confession then that is his between him and God, mind you it doesnt give you the right to condemn the catholic faith, and who gave you people the right to judge?[/quoteabeg ooo.am not judging any1.is u wia 2 be in india.u will be saying worshippin snake is ideal as well.we have many religions and in christiandom,many diverisies I tell u.catholic say their own.jehova withness will say their own.deeperlife will say their own,christembassy will say their own,latter day saint will say their own,cherubin and seraphin will say their..all will pray and God will answer.that should keep u tink what kinda God we serve.he isn't interested in all these trash.]
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
Bandit C.:

In as much as your rant above is baseless, useless and unsubstantiated, at least the Virgin Mary is of God and is divine. Isn't honouring the Virgin Mary better than worshiping earthly and nigerian pastors and screaming ''daddy daddy'' everywhere?. Pastors every one and his dog know are hardcore criminals and loonies who loot peoples' money to buy jets and marry beautiful damsels that they would divorce after 4 years.

Oh, i forgot, we are not supposed to touch the Lord's anointed right? Clowns. Get outta here with that trash.

Blasphemy !! Mary is not divine.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by mydozie: 3:58pm On Jun 28, 2012
D bible allows d confession of one's sins t a holy man of God by virtue of which dat person can b healed.Pls dnt 4get t quote d bk of James 5:16 which has d answer t this misunderstanding. Jesus recognises d institution of His holy priests.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Francuiz: 4:01pm On Jun 28, 2012
My fellow catholics, lets leave all these ppl dat r jst saying trash. The end wil justify the means
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by jennyb2: 4:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
me tink thers no prblm in confessin ur sin to a man weda a priest or anybody as long as both of u will join faith togeda and pray for forgivenes, d bible says we shuld confess our sins one to another, now my problm is d contuinty in dis cofession to d priest cos if u knw u r truely sorry for a particular sin why go bak to it? true confession is repentance and desistance. thers a problem with dis kind of confession.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 28, 2012
The concept of confession of sin to a priest is nowhere taught in Scripture. First, the New Testament does not teach that there are to be priests in the New Covenant. Instead, the New Testament teaches that all believers are priests. 1 Peter 2:5-9 describes believers as a “holy priesthood” and a “royal priesthood.” Revelation 1:6 and 5:10 both describe believers as “a kingdom and priests.” In the Old Covenant, the faithful had to approach God through the priests. The priests were mediators between the people and God. The priests offered sacrifices to God on behalf of the people. That is no longer necessary. Because of Jesus’ sacrifice, we can now approach God’s throne with boldness (Hebrews 4:16). The temple veil tearing in two at Jesus’ death was symbolic of the dividing wall between God and humanity being destroyed. We can approach God directly, ourselves, without the use of a human mediator. Why? Because Jesus Christ is our great High Priest (Hebrews 4:14-15; 10:21), and the only mediator between us and God (1 Timothy 2:5). The New Testament teaches that there are to be elders (1 Timothy 3), deacons (1 Timothy 3), bishops (Titus 1:6-9), and pastors (Ephesians 4:11) – but not priests.

When it comes to confession of sin, believers are told in 1 John 1:9 to confess their sins to God. God is faithful and just to forgive our sins as we confess them to Him. James 5:16 speaks of confessing our trespasses “to one another,” but this is not the same as confessing sins to a priest as the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Priests / church leaders are nowhere mentioned in the context of James 5:16. Further, James 5:16 does not link forgiveness of sins with the confession of sins “to one another.”

The Roman Catholic Church bases their practice of confession to a priest primarily on Catholic tradition. Catholic do point to John 20:23, “If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven." From this verse, Catholics claim that God gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins, and that authority was passed on to the successors of the apostles, e.g. the bishops and priests of the Roman Catholic Church. There are several problems with this interpretation. (1) John 20:23 nowhere mentions confession of sin. (2) John 20:23 nowhere promises, or even hints, that the authority to forgive sins would be passed on to the successors of the apostles. Jesus’ promise was specifically directed to the apostles. (3) The New Testament nowhere states that the apostles would even have successors to their apostolic authority. Similarly, Catholics point to Matthew 16:19 and 18:18 (binding and loosing) as evidence for the Catholic Church’s authority to forgive sins. The same three above points apply equally to these Scriptures.

Again, the concept of confession of sin to a priest is nowhere taught in Scripture. We are to confess our sins to God (1 John 1:9). As New Covenant believers, we do not need mediators between us and God. We can go to God directly because of Jesus’ sacrifice for us. 1 Timothy 2:5, “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.”

Got Questions
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by joe4christ(m): 4:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I I have some difficulty understanding how someone who is the son of God, and is also the [size=15pt] "god almighty" dies nailed to a cross, humiliated in every possible way ...
Does not match the concept of the Almighty, with the humiliating way to die [/size] that god ...

As for the confession ... I did not confess to a god who dies in this humiliating manner, let alone with a priest to represent him.

It is my opinion.

And you think it was rossy for him making that sacrifice? Of course not, he paid that price once and for all in other to save as many that would accept his gift of salvation, he suffered such a himuliating death like a common criminal stripped naked and died a shameful death so that by so doing he can fully pay for the sins of the world (And that's for those who would accept his salvation obtained by his own very blood for humanity) he being the creator of the whole universe knows what it is for anyone to be forever seperated from God off to hades for all eternity, and that was why he was willing to pay such a huge sacrifice just to save as many that would believe from going to hell.
Hell was never originally created for humanity, it was created for lucifer and his fallen angels (Demons) but the children of disobedience would likewise end there cos they also walk the path of lucifer and are lost, seperated from God forever.
And that was why jesus came and payed the full price for man's redemption if only they would believe in him for their salvation.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by joe4christ(m): 4:10pm On Jun 28, 2012
Ptolomeus:
I I have some difficulty understanding how someone who is the son of God, and is also the "god almighty" dies nailed to a cross, humiliated in every possible way ...
Does not match the concept of the Almighty, with the humiliating way to die that god ...

As for the confession ... I did not confess to a god who dies in this humiliating manner, let alone with a priest to represent him.

It is my opinion.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Domaro: 4:12pm On Jun 28, 2012
@IJAWKID
that ur lecture gives u the script of ur fellow students to mark and score them dosent make u a lecturer over other student, instead u r workin under the instruction of a lecturer. Again
If the president send u as a representative to say his words dosent make u the commander in cheif of FRN. MY POINT
priest(of the catholic church) from the command given to them by master Jesus wen he breat on them @ jon 20:23-23 they are just representing and saying word of God who send christ who inturn send them. QED
ijawkid:

Oboy I no talk lie oo......

I just brought in that to remind u guys that its not only Jesus that can forgive sins..........

Because 1 lame reason u guys give is that because Jesus forgave sins then he is almighty God.....

From that thought then his apostles too were almighty God because they could forgive sins too......

Simple!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh I forgot d trinity is ur peoples main pagan doctrine.......

Please add mary to the trinity...

She is perfect,without stain and immaculate....

Infact she is the mother of d almighty God according to ur doctrine....

So she is suppose to be part of d trinity......

Hail mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
jamp: We don hear oooooooooooooo. leave us alone. no matter what you guys say here it will not change anything. so whats the point arguing.

but note this point: the bible you are quoting was given to you by the catholic church. if all you are saying are correct, they would have removed them(cos it contradicts what they preach) just the way they removed other ones that says Jesus kiss mary magdalene.

i plead with the moderators to stop bringing up such issues that will not unite us as one Nigeria. we are so particular about religion. Lets talk on what concerns us as a nation and leave all these argument.PLEASSSSSSSSSSS

If the Bible was given to us by the Catholic church then why is the same people against their teachings? Read below;

1. Why does it condemn clerical dress? (Matt. 23:5-6).
2. Why does it teach against the adoration of Mary? (Luke 11:27-28).
3. Why does it show that all Christians are priests? (1 Pet. 2:5,9).
4. Why does it condemn the observance of special days? (Gal. 4:9-11).
5. Why does it teach that all Christians are saints? (1 Cor. 1:2).
6. Why does it condemn the making and adoration of images? (Ex. 20:4-5).
7. Why does it teach that baptism is immersion instead of pouring? (Col. 2:12).
8. Why does it forbid us to address religious leaders as "father"? (Matt. 23:9).
9. Why does it teach that Christ is the only foundation and not the apostle Peter? (1 Cor. 3:11).
10. Why does it teach that there is one mediator instead of many? (1 Tim. 2:5).
11. Why does it teach that a bishop must be a married man? (1 Tim. 3:2, 4-5).
12. Why is it opposed to the primacy of Peter? (Luke 22:24-27).
13. Why does it oppose the idea of purgatory? (Luke 16:26).
14. Why is it completely silent about infant baptism, instrumental music in worship, indulgences, confession to priests, the rosary, the mass, and many other things in the Catholic Church?

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2012
[b]Practically all precepts of the Roman Catholic religion contradict the Bible repeatedly. The Bible is the word of God. In this article, we are going to examine a few Roman Catholic doctrines and compare them with the Bible. The Roman Catholic church is the largest cult in the world and most preachers will not openly say so because it is so large. For Catholics who read this, please remember this: the person that tells you the truth is the one that cares. If you will only believe the holy scriptures--the Bible--and nothing else, you can be released from deception today. Just look at the scriptures and compare them to the precepts of Rome. You will not be the first to read the scriptures clearly and then be saved by REPENTING of your sins and BELIEVING on the death, burial and resurrection of our wonderful and glorious Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ who shed his blood to pay for our sins that we have committed. You will not get to heaven by following a (supposedly) religious organization--the Roman Catholic institution--which is founded on heresies and blasphemies.

For a glimpse of the atrocities committed by the Roman Catholic institution, check out the Antichrist Slideshow or do an internet search on the Inquisition or the Crusades. During the Inquisition, the Roman Catholic institution killed millions. Why? Primarily to suppress any and all opposition to her heresies. Side "benefits" included taking the material wealth of its victims and showing the pope's power. The Roman Catholic agents have tortured, crippled, burned, murdered, and imprisioned millions of people. Whatever happened to love your enemies (ref. Matthew 5:44)?

Before we get to specific problems with Catholic doctrine, let's review how this bloodthirsty organization treated a man who simply wanted to get the Bible into the hands of the common people. In the late 1300s John Wycilf translated the scriptures from the Latin. About 44 years after his death, the Catholic institution dug up his bones and burned them calling him an arch-heretick. In the 1500's William Tyndale sought to translate the Bible into the language of the common people, English. He could not gain approval from the Catholic institution, so he worked as an outlaw on the run in Europe, translating the Bible. He was eventually captured, condemned and executed in 1536. It is because of people like these men, Tyndale and Wycliffe, that we have the scriptures today. If the Catholic religion had its way, we'd still be in ignorance about the Bible and enslaved to the pope. Time fails me here to tell of other marytrs like John Hus, John Rogers, etc. who were killed by popish persons. Guy Fawkes and other papists (followers of the pope) tried to kill King James VI & I (the king who commanded the translation of the Authorised Version of the Bible (also known as the Authorized King James Version), published in 1611) and the whole British parliament, in the Gunpowder Plot of 1605. King James identified Rome as the seat of the antichrist in his, "Premonition [warning] to All Most Mightie Monarches."

I'll list the catholic tradition first and then what the Authorized King James Version of the Bible has to say about the matter.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Call priests father, e.g., Father McKinley.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS -

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
CATHOLIC TRADITION - Forbidding the priesthood to marry.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS -

1) It is a doctrine of devils to forbid God's people to marry.
1 Timothy
4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

2) Peter was married (remember the pope is supposedly continuing the apostolic line through Peter).

Matthew
8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

Mark
1:30 But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.

Luke
4:38 And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her.

3) Paul, a great apostle, remained single; however he made it very clear that he could marry if he wanted to.

1 Corinthians
9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary never had other children after the Lord Jesus. She remained a perpetual virgin.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - After Mary delivered our precious Lord Jesus Christ into the world, Joseph did know his wife. Joseph and Mary indeed had children together, plenty of them. They were the Lord's half brothers and sisters for their father was Joseph and mother was Mary.

Matthew 1:24-25 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not TILL she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Matthew
13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
13:56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?

Mark
6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary is the queen of heaven.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Worshipping the queen of heaven (which is not the Mary of the Bible) is worshipping another god and it provokes the Lord to anger.

Jeremiah
7:17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
7:19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the LORD: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?
CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary is the mother of God.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Mary is the mother of the earthly Jesus, not God. Jesus pre- existed from everlasting as God (see John 1:1). When He came to redeem mankind, He laid aside His glory and was made like unto sinful man so that He could take our punishment (Hebrew 2:9). God has no mother. He has lived from everlasting which means He had no beginning.

Isaiah
43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. [If Mary gave birth to God, she'd be God.]
Psalm
93:2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

Micah
5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler [Jesus] in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Philippians
2:6 Who [Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Pope called Holy Father.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - The term Holy Father is only found one time in the entire Bible. It was when Jesus prayed before He and His disciples went to the garden of Gethsemane. He referred to God the Father as Holy Father. It is blasphemy to call a man by God's name

John
17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
CATHOLIC TRADITION - Purgatory, nuns, popes.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - None of these is mentioned in the Bible. It is a sin to add to the Bible.

Proverbs
30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
The pope is a man who takes upon himself honor which belongs to no human being. Even the very name by which he allows himself to be called (Holy Father) is highly presumptuous and blasphemous (see above).

One does not need the pope to determine what God's will is. The Bible says that God has given the Holy Ghost to each believer and that He (the Holy Ghost) guides and leads us into all truth. All a believer needs is the Bible and the Holy Ghost to know the will of the Lord. Popery has been treacherous, but worse, each pope has been the blind leading the blind. Jesus said that both will fall into the ditch. Catholics, come out of this system that cannot save and know Jesus for youself, intimate and up-close.

NOTE: Purgatory is supposedly a place where a person is purified of sins--even popes supposedly go there. The Bible says that Jesus Christ is the one that purifies us of our sins. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.... When a person dies their eternal home is sealed--heaven or hell--no in between. Hebrews 9:27 ...it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Venerating/worshipping images. Pope bows to statues of Mary, Catholics worship the eucharist and have statues/candles in their homes and churches.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - It is idolatry to venerate images. We are not even supposed to make them.

Exodus
20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God...
CATHOLIC TRADITION - The mass. Through transubstantiation, the wafer/host and the wine supposedly become the actual blood and body of Jesus Christ when the priest prays over them. He is supposed to be sacrificed over and over again on Roman Catholic altars.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Jesus died once for sins, never to be repeated. He sits on the right hand of God and does not reappear in the mass as a mass of blood and flesh.

Hebrews
10:12 But this man [Jesus], after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
John
19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

1 Corinthians
11:24 And when he [Jesus] had given thanks, he brake it [bread], and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come (not for the forgiveness of sins or to receive Jesus).

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Saved, in part, by good works.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Good works are the fruits that grow out of being saved. They do not make you saved. An apple does not make its tree an apple tree, it was already an apple tree before any apples appeared. When you see the apples; however, you know what kind of tree it is. If a person is saved, he will shew forth good works because he has the spirit of Christ in him. The good works don't make him saved only the blood of Jesus can do that.

I John
1:7b ...the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Acts 16:31b
...believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

Romans
3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

What about James 2:20 "faith without works is dead"?

The kind of faith that saves is a faith that shows forth the works of God. Even devils believe in Jesus and tremble (James 2:19). Many people believe in Jesus but they won't follow Him. They have a faith, but not the kind that saves. If a person has true faith in Jesus, the Holy Ghost dwells in him and will cause good works will show forth in his life. The good works confirm the faith by which the person was saved. James 2:21-23 uses Abraham as an example. Abraham believed God so when God asked him to sacrifice his son Isaac, Abraham, out of his faith in God, offered Isaac upon the altar (for those that do not know, the angel of the LORD stopped him from actually offering up his son--see Genesis chapter 22.).

CATHOLIC TRADITION - The church is founded on Peter.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Jesus Christ is the foundation of the church. Peter was a man like you and me. Jesus called Peter "Satan" in Matthew 16:23 when Peter rebuked Jesus dying. When Cornelius tried to worship Peter, Peter responded, "Stand up; I myself also am a man." (Acts 10:26). The pope needs to remember Acts 10:26 when he has men bowing to him and kissing his hand like he is worthy of worship.

1 Corinthians
3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Matthew
21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected [Jesus], the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Confessing sins to a priest. Petitioning saints and Mary.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - We are to confess our sins and needs to God alone.

I John
1:9 If we confess our sins, he [God] is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 Timothy
2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus [not Mary, not saints, not priests, not the pope];

I John 2:1, ...And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

In the Lord's Prayer found in Matthew chapter 6, we are told to ask God to forgive us of our debts. Our Father in heaven is the one that forgives us.

There are many other scriptures that could have been used here to testify against the doctrines of the catholic religion. There are also many other doctrines of the catholic religion which could have been refuted (e.g. the sacraments, receiving the Holy Ghost, salvation through the catholic religion, penance, rosary, etc.).

The Catholic religion has a history of taking the money of poor widows in order to say masses for the dead (which do no good) and collecting the material possessions of nuns. In Italy, the heart of Roman Catholicism, as I understand it, there is a saying that goes, "Without money, they don't sing the mass." That trickery is evil on a number of fronts--1) the mass is blasphemous and dishonours the finished work of Christ 2) people who trust in the mass waste their money and go to hell 3) their survivors waste their money and possessions having masses said for the dead 4) the survivors go to hell and then their survivors pay for masses...the costumed curia have subverted whole houses for centuries on end collecting wealth for the coffers of the Roman Catholic institution 5) the doctrine of purgatory is a heresy because there is no such thing as purgatory--it is not in the Bible (the apocrypha is not part of the Bible, it is a collection of spurious books); and, 6) they blaspheme God when they put a monetary price on the gift of God because the Bible teaches that the gift of God is without price. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. No money, penance, "indulgence," masses, etc. are required or accepted.

I've heard it said that the Roman Catholic institution is the wealthiest government in the world. It owns a good share of America's hospitals and has many real estate interests. She has a history of collecting lands and wealth through the ages. One look at her splendor confirms this. If you want to get right with God, you have to go through his Son, Jesus Christ, according to his word and not according to the word of man and his traditions.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Cyberconnect12: 4:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
ijawkid:

Oboy I no talk lie oo......

I just brought in that to remind u guys that its not only Jesus that can forgive sins..........

Because 1 lame reason u guys give is that because Jesus forgave sins then he is almighty God.....

From that thought then his apostles too were almighty God because they could forgive sins too......

Simple!!!!!!!!!!!!

And oh I forgot d trinity is ur peoples main pagan doctrine.......

Please add mary to the trinity...

She is perfect,without stain and immaculate....

Infact she is the mother of d almighty God according to ur doctrine....

So she is suppose to be part of d trinity......

Hail mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Tallest9(m): 4:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
another thing to consider is that these priests have shortcomings for they r humans as well..who do they now they now confess their own sins to? (jst wondering o)
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by egbenduru: 4:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
I think ignorance is a deadly disease,one should never discuss what he lacks knowledge and information on.
First,the catholics do, not confess their sins to the priest,if you know the words and format used for sacramental confession which is also called sacrament of reconciliation,the penitent begins with,bless me Lord for I have sinned,the priest is simply a mediator,a wounded healer,that is why in igbo language they are called ukochukwu,the one who mediates between God and man.Why choose a man not an angel to occupy this position?He lives daily under the battle to be holy,suffers same pains of temptations and distractions,he is better suited to understand the condition of his brothers and sisters.According to the scriptures,no one takes this honour himself,each is called...
To God alone rests forgiveness.Again to use the weakness,failuress of the church to judge the need and position of the church's ministers is strange,we are all living by grace,a pilgrim church on earth,on the way to salvation,no one is holy even Jesus rejected the status holy,God alone is holy.We fall to rise,my grace is enough for you is the healing tonic.Remember that Jesus left behind some faculties and responsibilities for the apostles,peter the head of the apostolic college inspite of his weaknesses and failures became the stone on which christ would build his church.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
egbenduru: I think ignorance is a deadly disease,one should never discuss what he lacks knowledge and information on.
First,the catholics do, not confess their sins to the priest,if you know the words and format used for sacramental confession which is also called sacrament of reconciliation,the penitent begins with,bless me Lord for I have sinned,the priest is simply a mediator,a wounded healer,that is why in igbo language they are called ukochukwu,the one who mediates between God and man.Why choose a man not an angel to occupy this position?He lives daily under the battle to be holy,suffers same pains of temptations and distractions,he is better suited to understand the condition of his brothers and sisters.According to the scriptures,no one takes this honour himself,each is called...
To God alone rests forgiveness.Again to use the weakness,failuress of the church to judge the need and position of the church's ministers is strange,we are all living by grace,a pilgrim church on earth,on the way to salvation,no one is holy even Jesus rejected the status holy,God alone is holy.We fall to rise,my grace is enough for you is the healing tonic.Remember that Jesus left behind some faculties and responsibilities for the apostles,peter the head of the apostolic college inspite of his weaknesses and failures became the stone on which christ would build his church.

i am shocked at your write up here. clearly shows you are misguided and have no knowledge of the word of God. I would have written more than what i wrote in my previous post but i would stir the hornets nest if i do. Because catholics are just to stone deaf to listen just like muslims. It can only take God to touch you guys.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 4:52pm On Jun 28, 2012
Mind your believe.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Fran6ik: 4:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
young man, mind u the catholic church u ar condemin is d oldest church on earth which is the only church dat can trace its history back to christ. So go on.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Chudiking(m): 5:01pm On Jun 28, 2012
JESUS granted hs disciples authority to forgive sins...y una dey Para...? I'm PROUD OF CATHOLIC.:-|
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
[/quote]Practically all precepts of the Roman Catholic religion contradict the Bible repeatedly. The Bible is the word of God. In this article, we are going to examine a few Roman Catholic doctrines and compare them with the Bible. The Roman Catholic church is the largest cult in the world and most preachers will not openly say so because it is so large. For Catholics who read this, please remember this: the person that tells you the truth is the one that cares. If you will only believe the holy scriptures--the Bible--and nothing else, you can be released from deception today. Ju[quote]

Ironically the same 'cult' decided the books of the bible!!! And yet 'bible beleiving christians' rely only on it for their teachings
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
1 timothy 4:1-3 "the spirit clearly says that in the last times some will abamdon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose conciênces have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and ordêr them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 28, 2012
Some people never fail to amaze me. @poster, since you say it is wrong what is the consequence then ?
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 28, 2012
walegees: 1 timothy 4:1-3 "the spirit clearly says that in the last times some will abamdon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose conciênces have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and ordêr them to abstain from certain foods ( fish on good Friday for example), which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

Absolutely true with a small edition by me !
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
colossians 2:6-23
v8 says: see to it that no one takes u captive thru hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principle of this worlds rather than on Chrîst.
v23 says: ...such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdõm, with their self imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by 4evergod3: 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
chukwudi44: Practically all precepts of the Roman Catholic religion contradict the Bible repeatedly. The Bible is the word of God. In this article, we are going to examine a few Roman Catholic doctrines and compare them with the Bible. The Roman Catholic church is the largest cult in the world and most preachers will not openly say so because it is so large. For Catholics who read this, please remember this: the person that tells you the truth is the one that cares. If you will only believe the holy scriptures--the Bible--and nothing else, you can be released from deception today. Ju

Ironically the same 'cult' decided the books of the bible!!! And yet 'bible beleiving christians' rely only on it for their teachings

The catholic church never decided the books of the bible. If the Bible is a Catholic book, why does it nowhere mention the Catholic Church? Why is there no mention of a pope, a cardinal, an archbishop, a parish priest, a nun, or a member of any other Catholic order? If the Bible is a Catholic book, why is auricular confession, indulgences, prayers to the saints, adoration of Mary, veneration of relics and images, and many other rites and ceremonies of the Catholic Church, left out of it?

If the Bible is a Catholic book, how can Catholics account for the passage, "A bishop then, must be blameless, married but once, reserved, prudent, of good conduct, hospitable, a teacher...He should rule well his own household, keeping his children under control and perfectly respectful. For if a man cannot rule his own household, how is he to take care of the church of God?" (1 Tim. 3:2, 4-5). The Catholic Church does not allow a bishop to marry, while the Bible says "he must be married."

In addition to the above, Catholics often boast that the Bible was written by Catholics, e.g., "All the books of the New Testament were written by Catholics." When we consider the word "catholic" as meaning "universal," we readily admit that the writers were "catholic" in that sense; they were members of the church universal--the church of Christ which is described in the New Testament Scriptures (Col. 1:18; Rom. 16:16). However, we firmly deny that the writers of the New Testament were members of the Roman Catholic Church as we know it today. The Roman Catholic Church was not fully developed until several hundred years after the New Testament was written. It is not the same institution as disclosed in the New Testament. The New Testament books were written by members of the Lord's church, but they are not its author. God Himself is the author of the New Testament.

The Catholic officials above claim that without the Catholic Church there would be no Bible; they argue that mankind can accept the Scriptures only on the basis of the Catholic Church which gathered the books and determined which were inspired. Surely the Catholic Church cannot claim that it gave us the Old Testament Scriptures. The Old Testament came through the Jews (God's chosen people of old) who had the holy oracles entrusted to them. Paul said, "What advantage then remains to the Jew, or what is the use of circumcision? Much in every respect. First, indeed, because the oracles of God were entrusted to them." (Rom. 3:1-2; see also Rom. 9:4-5; Acts 7:38 ).

The Old Testament books were gathered into one volume and were translated from Hebrew into Greek long before Christ came to earth. The Septuagint Version was translated by seventy scholars at Alexandria, Egypt around the year 227 B.C., and this was the version Christ and His apostles used. Christ did not tell the people, as Catholics do today, that they could accept the Scriptures only on the basis of the authority of those who gathered them and declared them to be inspired. He urged the people of His day to follow the Old Testament Scriptures as the infallible guide, not because man or any group of men has sanctioned them as such, but because they came from God. Furthermore, He understood that God-fearing men and women would be able to discern by evidence (external and internal) which books were of God and which were not; thus, He never raised questions and doubts concerning the gathering of the inspired books.
Re: Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? by Anyigala(m): 5:34pm On Jun 28, 2012
To be truly a “bible church” (notice no one ever says "food restaurant", "book library", "exercise gymnasium", or "car highway"!), the church would have to adhere to everything that is in the New Testament. Accordingly, here is a checklist of things that are in the New Testament that all bible churches should answer yes to:

1. Does the church have ministers who can forgive sins in the name of Jesus (John 20:21-23)?
2. Does the church have a healing rite for the dying that forgives the sins of the person who is dying (James 5:14-15)?
3. Does the church meet daily for the breaking of the bread ( Matthew 6:11, Acts 2:42-46)?
4. Does the church teach that you must physically eat the flesh of Jesus and drink His blood to have life in you (John 6:53)?
5. Does the church history date back to the time of the Apostles (Acts 1:20-26)?
6. Does the church teach that individuals can suffer for the sake of the church, because Christ’s sufferings were lacking (Colossians 1:24)?
7. Does the church teach that salvation isn't a sure thing (Matthew 10:22, 2 Peter 2:20)?
8. Does the church teach that prayers in heaven go through heavenly intercessors before reaching God (Revelation 5:8, Revelation 8:3)?
9. Does the church teach that saints in heaven are alive and can appear to humans? (Mark 9:4-5, Matthew 27:52-53)
10. Does the church teach that one must physically suffer to keep from losing one’s salvation (1 Corinthians 9:27, 1 Peter 2:19-21)?
11. Does the Church preach Christian unity, or division (1 Corinthians 1:10-13)?
12. Are the church's decisions ratified in heaven as well as on earth (Matthew 18:18)?
13. Is the Mother of Jesus considered to be the most blessed Woman, and do they call her blessed (Luke 1:42-48)?
14. Does the church teach that the church itself (rather than the Bible) is the pillar and bulwark of truth? (1 Timothy 3:15)
16. Does the Church teach that celibacy is a good thing? (Matthew 9:12, Luke 18:29-30, 1 Corinthians 7: 25-27, 1 Corinthians 7:32-38, Revelation 14:3-5).
17. Does the Church teach that life begins at conception? (Deuteronomy 30:19, Jeremiah 1:5, Psalm 139:13, Luke 1:43-44,Luke 23: 2).
18. Does the Church teach that contraception is intrinsically evil? (Genesis 1:28, Psalm 127:3-5, Genesis 38:8-10).
19. Does the Church teach that divorce and remarriage is adulterous? (Matthew 5:3, Mark 10:11-12, Luke 16:18)
20. Does the Church teach that good works are a very necessary component of our faith? (Matthew 25:31-46, James 2:26, Colossians 1:10, Matthew 7:21, Revelation 20:12-13, Romans 2:6.
21. Does the Church teach that Jesus Christ established his earthly Kingdom on earth before He was crucified? (Matthew 3:2, Matthew 16:19).
22. Does the Church teach sexual sins are transgressions that will keep one from gaining entry into heaven, or do they now say that they are no longer sinful? (Romans 1:24-32, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, Ephesians 5:19-21, Colossians 3:5).

If the answer to any of these questions is no, then it must be assumed that the so-called “bible church” is really a tradition of man, and is not in accord with EVERYTHING in the New Testament. The Church can’t just preach John 3:16 (although that is a great verse) and ignore the rest of the divinely inspired Word of God. God gave us the whole bible for a reason. To ignore the hard parts because they are difficult to follow is totally wrong.

And by the way, the only Church that adheres to all of the above questions is The Church started by Jesus Christ Himself (Matthew 16:18), the Holy Catholic Church, the only real "Bible Church"!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches? / If God Gave You Same Blank Cheque As King Solomon, What Would You Fill?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.