Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,832 members, 7,889,763 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 07:57 PM

Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports (11054 Views)

This Statement From Buhari Has Got All Nigerians Asking If We Are Safe(pic) / Aftermath Of Elections: I Hope Patience Would Not Divorce Me - Jonathan / Lagos:2015 Oba Of Lagos - I Have Asked God To Bless Apc Oba Tells Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 16, 2012
yestanite storm really wrecked havock here! many houses, trees nd electric poles collapsed. Two people may have died as a reslt of the storm!
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ckkris: 4:18pm On Jun 16, 2012
Maclatunji
Please help provide answers in the following thread. Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/965891/whats-wrong-muslims#11132479
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 16, 2012
cogitoErgo: yestanite storm really wrecked havock here! many houses, trees nd electric poles collapsed. Two people may have died as a reslt of the storm!
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 16, 2012
ogbeche77:
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 16, 2012
cogitoErgo:
Jamaare, Bauchi state
Roger that
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 16, 2012
there s currently low clouds over most part of the west and the east.
there s local storm gathering over Ogun and part of Oyo state and a devlopng one over the Plateau!
the north east remain calm and partly cloudy.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by maclatunji: 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2012
ckkris: Maclatunji
Please help provide answers in the following thread. Thanks.

https://www.nairaland.com/965891/whats-wrong-muslims#11132479

Funny, I just deleted the thread before seeing this. You and the creator of the thread are not out to ask questions but to pass judgemental comments on what you feel about Islam and Muslims, insultingly too. I am not up for that. Don't bother trying to respond here, I just wanted to acknowledge your post.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 17, 2012
Maclatunji, are u a meteorologist, are u workng at Oshodi nat. met. centre? if yes please we nid to talk!
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2012
as @7pm

Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by emesv26(m): 7:56pm On Jun 19, 2012
@ maclatunji where is ur area?
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by maclatunji: 8:56am On Jun 20, 2012
cogitoErgo: Maclatunji, are u a meteorologist, are u workng at Oshodi nat. met. centre? if yes please we nid to talk!

Meterologist? No O. I just grab knowledge of different things and could pass-off as an expert sometimes, knowledge is knowledge irrespective of how or where it is obtained.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by maclatunji: 8:58am On Jun 20, 2012
emesv26: @ maclatunji where is ur area?

That is top secret now, or are you sending a few million dollars my way? LOL
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 20, 2012
maclatunji:

That is top secret now, or are you sending a few million dollars my way? LOL
what is top secret abt where u work?
please I need somebody in that Oshodi national met centre to help me with data for my work.
If u can help, message me @08182561571
Thanks
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by maclatunji: 10:52am On Jun 20, 2012
^ The 'top secret' part was a joke now. Personal information should not be given freely on Nairaland- the land of more than 1001 scammers and related rogues.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 20, 2012
grin actualy I kno u were only jokng, it was a mater of 'joker joking joker' grin
but seriously I need the info, I am an atmospheric physics student and I need data for my work, I think u understand.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by maclatunji: 12:55pm On Jun 20, 2012
Seriously, I am not a metereologist O. I am a management science person by training. I can be other things when I want to be sometimes.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 20, 2012
maclatunji: Seriously, I am not a metereologist O. I am a management science person by training. I can be other things when I want to be sometimes.
OK, bros, may God bless u then. Have to look elsewhere fo help!
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Timmi: 3:06pm On Jun 21, 2012
I am also interested in getting a contact at the MET center, have a project in Nigeria that is highly dependent on weather conditions especially in Lagos and South South area. Any assistance on cloud base will be highly appreciated.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ODB1: 10:39am On Jun 23, 2012
cogitoErgo:
what is top secret abt where u work?
please I need somebody in that Oshodi national met centre to help me with data for my work.
If u can help, message me @08182561571
Thanks
what exactly are you working on and what do you need?
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ODB1: 10:40am On Jun 23, 2012
Timmi: I am also interested in getting a contact at the MET center, have a project in Nigeria that is highly dependent on weather conditions especially in Lagos and South South area. Any assistance on cloud base will be highly appreciated.
i may be able to help

mail me.
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 23, 2012
thanks O.D.B.
what is ur e-mail adress?
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ODB1: 10:52am On Jun 23, 2012
----
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ODB1: 10:55am On Jun 23, 2012
i hope you got it, i dont want spam to get into it so i took it down
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by ODB1: 11:29am On Jun 23, 2012
Timmi: I am also interested in getting a contact at the MET center, have a project in Nigeria that is highly dependent on weather conditions especially in Lagos and South South area. Any assistance on cloud base will be highly appreciated.
Cloud base in the coastal areas vary diurnally and seasonally and are dependent on the expected cloud formations.
Usually the lowest base of clouds are from stratiform clouds such as stratus fractus of both fair and bad weather. Stratus is usually considered a fog cloud when it is not associated with thunderstorms and/or precipitation. Fog on the other hand is usually described as cloud on the ground.

I believe you maybe working on vertical visibility involving cloud ceilings or maybe condensation layer levels, unfortunately the best tools to properly assess or measure cloud base is either the ceilometer or from empirical deductions made from upper air soundings i.e. from an aerological profile of the atmosphere gotten from radiosoundes.
Only Abuja met station, specifically, the Upper Air Station routinely carries out upper air soundings and is also equipped with a ceilometer.
A ceilometer reading is not usually advised since it points to just one single point and may not give a comprehensive assessment where cloud cover is limited to broken or less and also where the cloud bases may vary horizontally.

All cloud information are gotten from "eye" estimations which are carried out routinely by meteorological observers but an earlier work done be me clearer shows a significant error in most of these observation readings.

Another tool that may have been ideal for making an assessment would have been doppler radar but unfortunately there is currently only one doppler radar located in Abuja and it has yet to be fully calibrated.

You could try researching surface temperature departures between the dry air temperature, dew point temperatures in ascertaining cloud base level.

cheers
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 26, 2012
O.D.B.:
i hope you got it, i dont want spam to get into it so i took it down
ODB, sorry I dd not get ur e-mail adress, here is mine 'ladiran@gmail.com'
Im actualy working n the measurement of pricipitable water vapor. I will nid radiosonde data such as total presure; water vapor partial presure and ambient temperature for now!
frm ur earlier post, it seems Ican only get this for Abuja only but I would have want it for northern zone, middle belt and the south.
thanks
Re: Tropical Storm In Lagos: I Hope You Are Safe? + Latest Meteriological Reports by Timmi: 7:05pm On Jul 05, 2012
@ O.D.B. Thanks for the explanation, but my interest is to know when the cloud base is at the highest in South South area. The project I am working on is highly dependent of vertical visibility and I will want to know more a period or season in the year where the cloud base could be at its highest.

Thanks and I really did not get your email address. But you can email me using the email in my profile.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Inflation Drops To 8.6 Percent, Lowest In 5 Years / Nigerian Emerged Second Best In 2013 World Research Competition / H.I.D Awolowo Clocks 98 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.