Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,022 members, 7,903,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 09:40 AM

Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus (14674 Views)

Voluntary Forum Moderator Needed; If interested, come and apply for it / Forum Moderator Wanted / Vacancy For Forum Moderator. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Seun(m): 12:34am On Jun 08, 2012
Hello,

The Nairaland Forum is in need of a paid full-time moderator whose primary duty will be to keep the entire forum free of spam at all times, day & night, regardless of what it takes. The person will be expected to work 8 - 10 hours daily. If you're interested, please indicate your interest on this thread and tell us about how you intend to go about this.

Regards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Afam4eva(m): 12:38am On Jun 08, 2012
Ngwa, where are the applicants.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by mbhs139(m): 12:43am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun: Hello,

The Nairaland Forum is in need of a paid moderator whose primary duty will be to keep the entire forum free of spam at all times, day & night, regardless of what it takes. The person will be expected to work 8 - 10 hours daily. If you're interested, please indicate your interest on this thread and tell us about how you intend to go about this.

Regards.

You tell me how you want it done, and I will remotely monitor and moderate NL through my laptop or ipad.

I have certificate of training completion as an OCA and OCP, sure you know what that is. I major in maths and had a handful of computer science courses. Would like to do it, I have the time. It will be fun, plus making money.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by PweetyMj(f): 12:51am On Jun 08, 2012
Count me in.

How much is involved?

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by mkmyers45(m): 12:52am On Jun 08, 2012
Well i am interested...Focus on spam-friendly boards likes Business/Money, Politics etc will be the main target..im usually on for 9hr plus per day.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by PweetyMj(f): 12:53am On Jun 08, 2012
And it wouldn't hurt if you specified the full details of the workload. Like what and what is involved and what is expected of the person.

3 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 1:03am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun Bros, Nice to see you are sharing some of that NL money in constructive ways.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Pain(m): 1:15am On Jun 08, 2012
I want to believe the renumeration would be pay-per-performance based on agreed kpis?
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by cdoffx(m): 1:19am On Jun 08, 2012
i'll like to take up this job if i'll be considered and the detail of how my duty is expected to carried out. definitely i'll also bring in my own idea as to how to effectively go about my duty.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by xJaysonx(m): 1:21am On Jun 08, 2012
I am interested in moderating this section. I have some experience in erasing spams from a certain website/forum where i used to be a mod some years ago, and i always go through nairaland everyday even though i dont make a post or thread. I can comfortably work for that amount of time cause i see online work not as stressful as other offline work.
Regards,
George I.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by ektbear: 1:32am On Jun 08, 2012
What do you consider "spam?"

Are there no existing Python spam-filtering solutions that you can adapt?
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by gbengaijot(m): 1:44am On Jun 08, 2012
Its funny how many individuals are posting without asking for more details about the job:

A. Size of spam request deletion per day

B. If the entire work will be done remotely/get instructions on site

C. Tools required to do the job. Etc etc

Instead, everyone is asking about 'how much the pay is' and quoting their certification training.

For your info, certificate means NOTHING. Its BS. If you don't have experience of how to do this or willing to learn....your cert is BS.

Ask for details of job before quoting your cert and pay. Managing spam is not beans talk.

5 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by LagosShia: 1:46am On Jun 08, 2012
i have a record of spending 1 month and 3 days on nairaland since my registration in november,2010.i also have 5557 posts and 216 topics.

if i am made moderator,i think with the time i spend online,i should be able to make a difference in managing the number of spam posts.

i'd like to know details about the job and what is required of me.if i can do it,then i'd say so.if not,i'd turn it down.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Kajiang02(m): 1:55am On Jun 08, 2012
Why not spell out the details.
What do you consider Spam? What's the threshold and how do you draw the line in this case??

What are the Job functions I mean specify explicitly.
Would be interested though, No harm in working and learning new things, especially when I've handled some few
satuffs as these.

Let me know.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by sanchez4eva: 1:59am On Jun 08, 2012
Girls love spam...Give girls spam...hehehe
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Kaysalas(m): 2:06am On Jun 08, 2012
i don't have any computer related cert. but wil be willing to learn new things if given d opportunity. Kindly give more details.thnx

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Reference(m): 2:10am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun, you may need to contact Tom Cruise because this one na ghost protocol. Except if you set very low expectations to start with it may be easier to eradicate malaria.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 08, 2012
@Seun, don't you have a way you can totally block the IP add of those who abuse forum rights such as those that are a constant source of spamming and multiple ID?
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 3:16am On Jun 08, 2012
No cert as well. But I know a bad advert when posted. I could work for you on the property section....take out bogus adverts that dont have pictures on them.
And sanitize that sector, since the current mod there isnt interested in fixing this. just take a look at the adverts, just lands going for 100mil, not even a picture, or detailed explanation....guess it could use some sanitation, and i think including a registered engineer with a lawyer on the forum would make it perfect. let me know seun.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by manny4life(m): 3:25am On Jun 08, 2012
OK... Applicants, turn in your resume NOW grin grin grin

Seun is part of the economy creating jobs, I guess Seun won the YouWIN lotto...
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by dmainboss: 3:48am On Jun 08, 2012
@Seun

I am interested in the job and here's my solution:

First the manual way: I will setup a report address or similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report spam posts from any section. I will monitor these reports and take appropriate action based on what Nairaland considers as spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all threads with priority given to front page threads.

Based on the above, I will monitor the user names and possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that to prioritize future spam considerations. E.g. By keeping the number of times a user has been reported by other users and the number of times a user has been banned, those with higher ban rates can appear in a special cases list. This list can facilitate fast monitoring and filtering of spam.

Next is the automated way: This will require some programming and I would go about it as a project within a specific time frame. I did a spam filter for a cybercafe timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with that. I can give more details of that privately.
I will, for example, develop a filter script that will study patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the posts and suggest possible spam. These posts can then be reviewed and checked for spam. The script will also be used to do a delayed posts condition for known spammers. With that I mean a situation where a known or suspected spammer's post is delayed for say 10mins or more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in many forums, especially those of media organisations. But in this case, the posts will be delayed while a notification is sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary action. This will only apply to "known or suspected spammers" or to posts that are highly suspicious.

These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam issue if I get the job.

Regards

17 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Bontee: 5:14am On Jun 08, 2012
Can see now that the management is waking up to his duties and hope it will not go the normal previous route of eventually giving it to a friend or someone they know. So is fighting spam not one of the duties of the present mods which we have right now or they are not paid as some of us have been thinking. Nairaland has gotten to a stage that you cannot go too forward anymore without shelling out the money, that was why nairalist failed because money was not spent and they did not seek for help.

I will advice for a different approach in fighting spam and the scope of duties should be expanded. There are other problems like insultivie posts, thread derailment, tribalism etc and i would advice to pick 3 - 5+ people to form a group and be responsible for that. They regular meet online, discuss, develop ideas and strategize how to go about their duties. The duties of all mods should include these duties as well but this people will act as supermods where their sphere of influence covers the entirely breadth of nairaland. Fighting spam on nairaland should not be limited to one person as you would need different ideas and strategies sourced from different people to do that.

Also nairaland should go the route of verified accounts in some sections, asking people who want to place adverts in some certain section to only send the ads to the mods for verification and posting else it will be outright ban for the offender. Let me stop here as all these might not be needed and let those interested in the job posts to see what the reply of seun should be. If you start banning people then there must be a way to force the guests to have an account and motivate everyone to make quality posts.

Take this thread https://www.nairaland.com/956441/top-5-priorities-before-selecting for example, it was a very good topic that was already developing into an intellectual discussion, you have your mods to further push the dimension of the discussion. Then at some point maybe on page two or three then the usual derailment begins and trusts me that's how it will go for a while, those derailers deserve to be warned or banned but nothing is going to happen to them.

2 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Wazzaowner(m): 5:32am On Jun 08, 2012
Seun,, Am Interested In Beein A Moderator In Dis Site... I PRomise 2 Do My Best To MaKe D Site Totally Spam Free.... Send Me D Details... Lets Negotiate...
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 5:36am On Jun 08, 2012
Are you sure you can pay my salary ota-boy ? grin grin
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by ZUBY77(m): 5:37am On Jun 08, 2012
Nairaland is a big forum. one person can hardly do that job. The job also requires constant monitoring of new registrations especially from flagged IP addresses. it also requires constant monitoring of hot topics since some people posses the habit of posting irrelivant ads in hot topics.
I would have loved to help out free of charge but i dont think i will have the time. I can help out on a single section though.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Superuser(m): 5:52am On Jun 08, 2012
dmainboss: @Seun

I am interested in the job and here's my solution:

First the manual way: I will setup a report address or similar (if that doesn't already exist) where users can report spam posts from any section. I will monitor these reports and take appropriate action based on what Nairaland considers as spam. I will do this routine say like every hour or more for all threads with priority given to front page threads.

Based on the above, I will monitor the user names and possibly IPs of offenders and keep a list of such and use that to prioritize future spam considerations. E.g. By keeping the number of times a user has been reported by other users and the number of times a user has been banned, those with higher ban rates can appear in a special cases list. This list can facilitate fast monitoring and filtering of spam.

Next is the automated way: This will require some programming and I would go about it as a project within a specific time frame. I did a spam filter for a cybercafe timer/proxy some years back, so I have real experience with that. I can give more details of that privately.
I will, for example, develop a filter script that will study patterns of spamming and use those patterns to filter the posts and suggest possible spam. These posts can then be reviewed and checked for spam. The script will also be used to do a delayed posts condition for known spammers. With that I mean a situation where a known or suspected spammer's post is delayed for say 10mins or more before it appears on the thread. I have seen this used in many forums, especially those of media organisations. But in this case, the posts will be delayed while a notification is sent to the admin, i.e. me, for consideration and necessary action. This will only apply to "known or suspected spammers" or to posts that are highly suspicious.

These are a few suggestions on how I will handle the spam issue if I get the job.

Regards

I think this guy should be interviewed further. Regards

5 Likes

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Flashaldrin(m): 6:13am On Jun 08, 2012
mr seun just give me the job cos i have a longlasting and effective solution to this.
i will simply permaban 190, mr cork, ok2nv and chimezie198 and we can call it a day.

1 Like

Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by fizanos(m): 6:16am On Jun 08, 2012
I'm interested but would like to know more of what the job entails.
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Nobody: 6:17am On Jun 08, 2012
^ you forgot to mention beaf too angry
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Murphy7h4: 6:25am On Jun 08, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Flashaldrin: mr seun just give me the job cos i have a longlasting and effective solution to this.
i will simply permaban 190, mr cork, ok2nv and chimezie198 and we can call it a day.
you got it
Re: Vacancy For Paid Forum Moderator With Spam Management Focus by Akieagle: 6:28am On Jun 08, 2012
Anybody can do it but i think d person should be at least a man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do People Always Say FG Jobs Has Job Security? / Apply For The International Rescue Committee (IRC) Job Vacancies (14 Positions) / Vacancy For All Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.