Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,133 members, 7,890,812 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:10 PM

British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' (4615 Views)

TYRANNY: Lawyer Arrested By DSS For Allegedly Insulting Buhari On Facebook / See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / VP Osinbajo In Sudan - For The Inauguration Of Sudanese President (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Nobody: 3:32am On Dec 03, 2007
Dis Guy:

actually muslims didn't coin the term moderate

but they have lapped it up.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by DisGuy: 5:50am On Dec 03, 2007
says who? i dont remember anyone saying -hey i'm a moderate Muslim!
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 12:47pm On Dec 03, 2007
Dis Guy:

says who? i don't remember anyone saying -hey i'm a moderate Muslim!

Tons of people have said that very same actually. Turn on your tv and you will see lots of them.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by mrpataki(m): 1:43pm On Dec 03, 2007
What is moderate muslim again?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Dec 03, 2007
mrpataki:

What is moderate muslim again?
Supposedly, muslims who do not go out in the streets to cry for beheading of the infidels and what not .
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by mrpataki(m): 1:50pm On Dec 03, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Supposedly, muslims who do not go out in the streets to cry for beheading of the infidels and what not .

Does silence not imply to consent? undecided It is all a total shame upon that religion. angry
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 2:03pm On Dec 03, 2007
mrpataki:

Does silence not imply to consent? undecided It is all a total shame upon that religion. angry

One would think so but the argument from some on the other side is that they do so to show that not all muslims are evil and believe those who are non muslims are to be killed. Unfortunately for them, the world does not seem to be buying that story any more. More and more of them are coming out to speak now but it is almost too little too late.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by hollandis(f): 2:23pm On Dec 03, 2007
@topic
The woman has been released 4 days after her detention
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 2:26pm On Dec 03, 2007
will the British or American govt release any convicted African based on anything?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by grafikdon: 2:32pm On Dec 03, 2007
They will not detain any African because she named her Dog Elizabeth or Henry in the first place.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 3:32pm On Dec 03, 2007
grafikdon:

They will not detain any African because she named her Dog Elizabeth or Henry in the first place.

Simply because they dont have such a law. Must every nation fashion it's laws after British and American laws?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

Simply because they don't have such a law. Must every nation fashion it's laws after British and American laws?

The Law in sudan does not even say if you name a teddy bear muhammed AFTER A CHILD, you are committing blasphemy. FOCUS please!!!
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 3:37pm On Dec 03, 2007
Kobojunkie:

The Law in sudan does not even say if you name a teddy bear muhammed AFTER A CHILD, you are committing blasphemy. FOCUS please!!!

The woman was sentenced by a court. Are the the chief justice in Sudan? you are so quick to help them interprete their own laws
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Seun(m): 3:38pm On Dec 03, 2007
Why should such a law exist? If an attempt was made to convict anyone in, say,
the UK based on such a law, the people initiating it would be the laughing stock of the Nation.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 3:44pm On Dec 03, 2007
Seun:

Why should such a law exist? If an attempt was made to convict anyone in, say,
the UK based on such a law, the people initiating it would be the laughing stock of the Nation.

Must Sudan copy everything as is done in UK?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Seun(m): 3:45pm On Dec 03, 2007
Must they copy everything as is done in backward countries like Saudi Arabia?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

The woman was sentenced by a court. Are the the chief justice in Sudan? you are so quick to help them interprete their own laws

Are you saying that the Chief Justice was fair in not allowing the Boy name his teddybear after himself then?? @Blatant. Even when the boy's own mother, who happens to have named him said she did not see anything wrong with what happened??

As I said earlier, sudan is NOT A MUSLIM STATE and so prosecuting her based on RELIGION is not allowed since SUDAN is not a MUSLIM State. If this had happened in say Saudi Arabia, it would have been a call for pardon from many but that is not the case in Sudan and so do you get it now??
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 3:53pm On Dec 03, 2007
why dont you go and become the chief justice of Sudan
Now we sit here and say that the Chief justice of another Nation does not know how to apply the laws of his own country.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Dec 03, 2007
@Blatant: I think you're being a troll.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by omoge(f): 3:59pm On Dec 03, 2007
she's been released. if i were her, i will go back home. hiss! what a crap! a teddy doll and a name of human long dead!
embarassed they don't have something better to do. bunch of hungry raggamuf.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

why don't you go and become the chief justice of Sudan
Now we sit here and say that the Chief justice of another Nation does not know how to apply the laws of his own country.

Interesting!! but you have been sitting in here debating all this while. Why don't you go to Britain to tell them they should not call for the charges to be dropped?? Better still go tell the president of the country that he has no right to release the woman since you believe the Chief Justice is right in his judgement?? @Blatant. You do that first, and THEN come tell me what I should do, how about that ??
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2007
Seun:

@Blatant: I think you're being a troll.

Are you sure you know what a troll is? or is it a case of you calling people what you like cos you're the Head os State(forum)?
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 4:15pm On Dec 03, 2007
omoge:

she's been released. if i were her, i will go back home. hiss! what a crap! a teddy doll and a name of human long dead!
embarassed they don't have something better to do. bunch of hungry raggamuf.

I dont think they ever begged her to come to their country in the first place. She should stay home and teach here. We are in need of more teachers as it is
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 4:17pm On Dec 03, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Interesting!! but you have been sitting in here debating all this while. Why don't you go to Britain to tell them they should not call for the charges to be dropped?? Better still go tell the president of the country that he has no right to release the woman since you believe the Chief Justice is right in his judgement?? @Blatant. You do that first, and THEN come tell me what I should do, how about that ??

Britain has every right to try and get any of it's citizens out of a difficult situation. I did not say Britain was wrong to do that. I just dont like the vile comments being directed at Sudanese for taking their own laws the way they like. If you dont like their laws and their applications, dont go to their country.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 4:24pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

Britain has every right to try and get any of it's citizens out of a difficult situation. I did not say Britain was wrong to do that. I just don't like the vile comments being directed at Sudanese for taking their own laws the way they like. If you don't like their laws and their applications, don't go to their country.

That does not make sense at all considering the circumstances in this case. But I think you are simply debating without knowing the actual story simply cause of the many points you have posted for your reasoning. No one is saying they do not have a right to have laws as they want but they should use the laws the right way. I am guessing you are in the UK yourself. I wonder what you would do if a muslim were accused of using King Henry's name in blasphemous way just cause he decides to name his car KING HENRY, in that country and then sentenced. I am sure you would be one of those who cry FOUL yourself but I do not expect you to admit it. The problem again is not that Sudan is not allowed to have it's laws. Look at Saudi Arabia and what happened resently. The reason why people are shouting foul is cause the law was used in a way that it should not have applied. Laws are supposed to be used as stated. When you twist it to gain prosecution, people cry FOUL. No one is calling for the law itself to be changed, it is the way it was used that people are saying is not fair.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Blatant: 4:32pm On Dec 03, 2007
If you dont like the laws and application in a nation, stay away from there
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by naijaking1: 5:56pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

If you don't like the laws and application in a nation, stay away from there

For you and Olabowale, I remain astonished that you would stay in UK and US, appreciate the orderly nature of things, and yet take every opportunity possible to promote lawlessness- via religious intolerance when Africa is involved.

For Nigeria, you guys want a strict and self limiting forms of your religion via sharia, restriction of movement and freedom for women, and worst of all death sentence for anybody you think went against your percieved interpretation of your holy book.

Same thing has happened in Kano and othe northern cities in naija, now you're arguing that it's an applicable law in Sudan.

Please call a spade a spade.
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2007
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 03, 2007
Blatant:

If you don't like the laws and application in a nation, stay away from there

when the French government enacted laws that prohibited girls from wearing hijabs to school you and your fellow muslim brothers were the first to cry foul . . . claiming an infringement of your "rights". Why didnt you just vacate France if you didnt like the law? Hypocrites!
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Iman3(m): 12:21am On Dec 04, 2007
So I guess its the teddy bear that will now bear the full wrath of the law

Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Kobojunkie: 12:27am On Dec 04, 2007
davidylan:

when the French government enacted laws that prohibited girls from wearing hijabs to school you and your fellow muslim brothers were the first to cry foul . . . claiming an infringement of your "rights". Why didnt you just vacate France if you didnt like the law? Hypocrites!

Thank you very very much!
Re: British Woman Arrested In Sudan For Allegedly 'insulting The Prophet' by Iman3(m): 12:30am On Dec 04, 2007
davidylan:

You are forgetting that all land belongs to Allah,thus,Muslims have a special right to make demands in foreign territories.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Of Appeal Sacks 20 PDP Lawmakers In The Rivers State Of Assembly / See What They Did To A Man For Using Abusive Words On Buhari(photo) / What Prof. Wole Soyinka Said About Senator Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.