Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,482 members, 7,901,361 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 09:01 AM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (984047 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by LeJeun3: 5:42am On Oct 25, 2012
mufasa:

Depends on the device bro.

What phone are you trying to root?

Its a Samsung Galaxy S, I wan't to be able to connect to adhoc wireless networks. P.S. are there various ways for each device?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2012
@engr u didnt call back.
sorry bro but that time I was suffering the great lagos traffic jam of this week. was my 3 1/2 hr in it yesterday.
matter of fact, right now im down with fever.
pls do.call back at anytime.

@ all

abeg I just installed swype on a ics rom and well .... its not swyping? what's up with that?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 2kurupt(m): 12:10pm On Oct 26, 2012
@4llerbuntu. Why not try Keymonk keyboard someone mentioned earlier, the app works like a charm. Best swype keyboard replacement ever (my verdict)
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by KazeKage1: 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2012
Anyone else sold on the Windows Surface tablet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervY6As5OcI&feature=related
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by codeKart(m): 1:27am On Oct 28, 2012
4llerbuntu: Important distinction tho.

The only phones that are running "Android" are the Nexus devices,

All other phones are running its own operating system based on Android.

for example Sense, Touchwiz, Blur, etc.

So with that being said those people who care about the very latest version of Android should buy a Nexus and those who don't care about the latest and greatest updates buy the other oem versions.

or if somehow they do, they have the option of installing a custom rom on their phones, most likely CM which is based on the latest version of stock Android.

So the whole fragmentation argument is off the mark and is only made up to make Android look bad

You're not quite right. They are all running Android OS, its just that the phone companies create User Interfaces that lie above the Android OS.

Think of it as a skin over the Android OS. Kinda like the way using a new theme on ur fone wld change ur icons, sounds and layouts but will not change the functionality of ur fone.

Or another example, wen u buy a laptop it will come with its own technologies. Like Acer has its eMpowering suite; HP has its HP Protect, Battery Management etc. Yet, they are still both running the same Windows OS

The reason for the various UIs is so that companies makin Android fones can personalize their creations and make them look unique. If these companies didn't use different UIs, what u wld have is that HTC fones wld b no diff frm Samsung or SE! It would kill originality, (and creativity) as well as bore customers!

The release of an Android OS Update for a particular phone depends on the fone manufacturer, whether it still supports that fone (u can't expect them to stil b releasing updates for fones made in 2009) and whether the hardware config of ð fone can support the newer OS easily.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by edoyad(m): 5:55am On Oct 28, 2012
I've been using Android phones but have never set foot near a tablet. Now, I'm asking Categorically, can an Android tablet totally replace my lap top? I want to know so I don't make a decision I regret later?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 6:36am On Oct 28, 2012
edoyad: I've been using Android phones but have never set foot near a tablet. Now, I'm asking Categorically, can an Android tablet totally replace my lap top? I want to know so I don't make a decision I regret later?
depends on what you do with your laptop
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by puskin: 10:01am On Oct 28, 2012
edoyad: I've been using Android phones but have never set foot near a tablet. Now, I'm asking Categorically, can an Android tablet totally replace my lap top? I want to know so I don't make a decision I regret later?

The simplest answer.....it cannot.

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mufasa(m): 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2012
LeJeun3:
Its a Samsung Galaxy S, I wan't to be able to connect to adhoc wireless networks. P.S. are there various ways for each device?

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s-all-things-root/163892-samsung-galaxy-s-root-guide-updated-19-18-pm-est-apr-08-2011-major-cleanup.html
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:15pm On Oct 28, 2012
codeKart:

You're not quite right. They are all running Android OS, its just that the phone companies create User Interfaces that lie above the Android OS.

Think of it as a skin over the Android OS. Kinda like the way using a new theme on ur fone wld change ur icons, sounds and layouts but will not change the functionality of ur fone.

Or another example, wen u buy a laptop it will come with its own technologies. Like Acer has its eMpowering suite; HP has its HP Protect, Battery Management etc. Yet, they are still both running the same Windows OS

The reason for the various UIs is so that companies makin Android fones can personalize their creations and make them look unique. If these companies didn't use different UIs, what u wld have is that HTC fones wld b no diff frm Samsung or SE! It would kill originality, (and creativity) as well as bore customers!

The release of an Android OS Update for a particular phone depends on the fone manufacturer, whether it still supports that fone (u can't expect them to stil b releasing updates for fones made in 2009) and whether the hardware config of ð fone can support the newer OS easily.

With all due respect u clearly dont really understand the issue. U just think u do.

I recommend u read the link I posted.

What u just said equates to saying debian and ubuntu are the same os. A lot of people also.say the same thing. And essentially they are ering.

Iwhat oems do has gone beyond skinning, just like how kubuntu and ubuntu.have gone beyond desktops only.

Abi for ur eye MIUI and stock android are d same? If u install the miui launcher its a world of difference from using a miui rom.
If u install a sense theme or launcher its lights years from using a htc sense rom.
Which is precisely why u wont get updates anytime soon unlike nexus devices. Its not rocket science bro.

Anyway its a point im not prepared to debate. Like I said read d link.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
Gbam!!! Nailed it
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 7:30pm On Oct 28, 2012
Updated to jellybean rom. Now few apps don't work...not yet optimised for android 4.2 angry

Re-uploaded.

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by engrhamid(m): 11:24pm On Oct 28, 2012
Hmmm

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by puskin: 1:47am On Oct 29, 2012
BlackBaron: Updated to jellybean rom. Now few apps don't work...not yet optimised for android 4.2 angry

But...why you dey block the kernel version no................abi na U make the kernel? undecided undecided
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by LeJeun3: 8:40am On Oct 29, 2012
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ridlaw(m): 11:16am On Oct 29, 2012
Hw do I connect to wireless with my samsung galaxy s3 or is there any apps to do such?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Knight1(m): 4:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
shocked
ridlaw: Hw do I connect to wireless with my samsung galaxy s3 or is there any apps to do such?

WHAT?!!! shocked

smh....please switch on WiFi. that's how to
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by KazeKage1: 4:27pm On Oct 29, 2012
ridlaw: Hw do I connect to wireless with my samsung galaxy s3 or is there any apps to do such?
Do you need video walk-through or plain text
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by nazzyon(m): 6:11pm On Oct 29, 2012
Knight1: shocked

WHAT?!!! shocked

smh....please switch on WiFi. that's how to

I believe he is just getting a hang of the thing.

MENU - Settings - WiFi (Turn On)

Select the SSID you want to use.....
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
i was going to answer the chap, then i decided i didnt need more nairaland enemies

have y'all seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0poff-mHQ4Q
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:56pm On Oct 29, 2012

Well, it's no Key Lime Pie, but Android 4.2 is certainly a treat in its own right. The latest version of Google's mobile OS makes a number of evolutionary improvements to its already impressive repertoire -- including a new quick settings menu that can be accessed from the notification pull down and support for multiple user profiles.

The multiple user support is especially handy for tablets like the new Nexus 10, which are much more likely to be shared, and now offer quick and easy user switching right from the lock screen.

If you don't want to share your tablet, just what's on it, the new support for Miracast makes will allow you to wirelessly beam movies, games or anything else to a compatible display.

The 10-inch tablet UI has also received a slight tweak, moving closer to the design for phones and the Nexus 7, with centered navigation buttons and the notification area up top. It might seem strange for users used to the Honeycomb-style tablet layout, but the new design is much simpler and provides a consistent experience across devices.

Google has also overhauled the photo experience and added Photo Sphere -- a 360-degree panoramic shooting mode that captures everything around you. Obviously, you'll be able to post those shots to Google+, but you'll also be able to add them to Google Maps, basically creating your own personal Street View.

Interestingly, Google has also taken a page from Swype's playbook, adding "Gesture Typing" to its keyboard. There's also a new screensaver called Daydream that offers up news, photos and other content when a device is docked or idle.

Perhaps the biggest, and creepiest improvements are to Google Now, which can monitor your Gmail for relevant content such as flight numbers. Hotel and restaurant reservations are now presented as cards, as are packages enroute to your humble abode. The service will even remind you of events you've purchased tickets for, essentially making Calendar redundant for a lot of your personal life. For more info check out the source links.

i bolded some of the features in 4.2 because THOSE ARE THE THINGS M$ IS UNVEILING AS THEIR KILLER FEATURES RIGHT NOW FOR WP8.

now just wait for some cats to start threads telling us how WP8 has these features better than Android grin grin grin grin
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by puskin: 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
Hmmmmm..............flashing things on my mind.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by JhaayYoung: 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2012
My bosses here, I need an advice on either buying a used samsung galaxy S, Samsung Google Nexus S or new galaxy pocket... I learnt a galaxy s runs an android 2.2 froyo..
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 9:10pm On Oct 29, 2012
4llerbuntu:

i bolded some of the features in 4.2 because THOSE ARE THE THINGS M$ IS UNVEILING AS THEIR KILLER FEATURES RIGHT NOW FOR WP8.

now just wait for some cats to start threads telling us how WP8 has these features better than Android grin grin grin grin

Don't be a muppet. These features have been known for ages on Wp8...
The fact that alternatives exist on other platforms doesn't make it any less of a 'killer feature'

Also remember that EVERY SINGLE WP8 DEVICE will have these features. Wanna guess when 4.2 will come to most of the Android phones out there? Even new Android phones being released for a while will likely ship with 4.1.

The only phone that will have this feature this year is the Nexus 4. And US consumers will not spring for it in droves because of the lack of LTE.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 9:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
That said, the NExus 4 is an awesome phone for markets like Nigeria where LTE isnt anywhere near coming out.

at $349 for the 16GB version (around 60K), why would anyone pay more than double that in Nigeria for an iPhone 5 16GB? Hell, even 2nd hand iPhone 4S sells for more than that in Nigerian shops and on Nairaland.

The way Android software is evolving, I don't see myself springing for an iPhone ever again. If the Nexus 4 had a 32GB option, i'd ditch my SGS III for it.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 9:57pm On Oct 29, 2012
Great price on the nexus 4 but still no sd card.

16GB is hardly enough...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:22am On Oct 30, 2012
this part I don't ever understand. since when did phones require large storage to function properly?

I hear all the arguments. I just don't get. this time next year folks will be complaining about 64gb being too small. its a phone for chrissake.

anyway I'm glad 4.2 is not with frame work or radical kernel changes. expect these features in AOSP within a month.

stay there with 2010 phone dey wait for Samsung and HTC to update u. na there u go old
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 7:13am On Oct 30, 2012
Lol
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ridlaw(m): 8:03am On Oct 30, 2012
nazzyon:

I believe he is just getting a hang of the thing.

MENU - Settings - WiFi (Turn On)

Select the SSID you want to use.....

@Knight1 @KazeKage1 wat I meant was hw do I connect to ad-hoc network set up on a laptop through this normal modem?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mufasa(m): 8:56am On Oct 30, 2012
ridlaw:

@Knight1 @KazeKage1 wat I meant was hw do I connect to ad-hoc network set up on a laptop through this normal modem?

You wanna set up an ad hoc connection with your SG3. What are you trying to achieve.
Do you wanna share your laptop's Internet with your phone or vice versa?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by user32(m): 9:08am On Oct 30, 2012
@ciphoenix
u dey sell the lapi wey dey 4 ur signature
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 9:43am On Oct 30, 2012
4llerbuntu: this part I don't ever understand. since when did phones require large storage to function properly?

I hear all the arguments. I just don't get. this time next year folks will be complaining about 64gb being too small. its a phone for chrissake.

anyway I'm glad 4.2 is not with frame work or radical kernel changes. expect these features in AOSP within a month.

stay there with 2010 phone dey wait for Samsung and HTC to update u. na there u go old

How will you understand when you're a muppet? grin

Apps are becoming way bigger in size.
Imagine if you have the following games installed on your phone

1. Modern Combat 3 - 1.3 Gb
2. Fifa 13 - 1.2 Gb
3. Modern Combat 4 - 1.3 Gb
4. Nova 3 - 1.2 GB
5. Grand Theft Auto: vice City - 1 Gb
6. max Payne - 1Gb

That's already more than 7GB. Then throw in your music library of 3GB. That moves it to 10Gb, already above the 8GB storage limit of the $299 version.

Then throw in your movies. On a 720p HD screen, do you really want to run 320x 480 crappy .3Gp files? no! People will load a few TV series and several favorite movies...and lots of music videos. One 720p episode of Game of Thrones can ring in at 500MB.

The we now need to talk about apps...and the space the OS will take. You will run out of space fairly quickly!
Phones are media consumption devices, not just to make calls these days. Did you miss that memo?

4llerbuntu:

Of the following, which are 2010 phones
1. Desire HD
2. Atrix
3. Galaxy S II
4. Galaxy Note
5. HTC Rezound

I'm willing to bet none of these devices will see Android 4.2.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.