Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,759 members, 7,952,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:55 AM

Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! (11720 Views)

Tension In Kaduna As Police And Shii'tes Clash / APC Factionalized In Kaduna, As New APC Emerges / President Buhari Visits Kaduna As El-Rufai Receives Him (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ballabriggs: 2:01pm On Jun 27, 2012
Even before the war got to places like Owerri, there had been cases of kwashiokor in those places as a result of the blockade.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by lacasa: 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

So why the kwashokor during the civil war?

Lwkmd

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ACM10: 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

The conventional explanation for hunger and famine during the Biafran war was as a result of blockade. But that explanation on its own is insufficient! Remember that Nigerian fighter planes were bombing farms too. Most of the productive energy of Biafrans were channelled into the prosecution of war project. There is hardly any young men left to engage in active farming due to war distraction. Also, many farmer has to leave their farmland and migrate to other areas as refugees. There is hardly any vehicular movement to distribute the little farm produce of the time. Finally, there is total breakdown of law and order. Biafra was in a state of near-anarchy brought about by the war. So government does not funtion. If you put all these conditions together, you'll then understand why kwashiorker epidemic occured.

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by achi4u(m): 2:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
davidylan: Abeg make una forgive T9ksy oh! the guy was sleeping when his fingers typed that question. grin
So,what did he smoke before going to sleep?
na im type dy use perfume dy wash im blueteethgrin
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Biggyd2: 2:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
A thread that was seeminly meant for people to make constructive contibution has already been laced with vile tribalism. Focus people, these traders are not intrested in your 'breakup' etc. To confirm that, even with BH many non indegines have refused to leave their places of abode where BH activities are most rampant.

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Emmy9ite(m): 2:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
Chyz*:
What is 'eba'?
I think its a name of an animal.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by londoner: 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2012
What insensitive people we have on here today.

So, because people had kwashiorkor in Igbo land during the civil war, it means they can not sustain themselves in 2012?

Does that assertion even make sense?

There is no rural area in Nigeria that does not have farmers and markets where their food is sold.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Afam4eva(m): 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2012
kenis:
How could they have farmed when they were running(and hiding) from place to place. It is a full scale war u know. Sometime u dont get to stay in a place for up to a week. So they lived on fruits and smuggled food. Use ur brain
Pls leave the 1diot to keep displaying his ignorance. he expects people to be looking for hoe and cutlass and going to farm when their mates are carrying guns and grenades and matching to the war front.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ayobase(m): 2:18pm On Jun 27, 2012
Im always saying it, I cant live in an environment where there are no Igbos!
There must be something soo wrong!

4 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Flocris: 2:19pm On Jun 27, 2012
Emmy9ite: I think its a name of an animal.. grin grin
emmy9ite, you are very funny.......
Lolcheesyshockedshocked
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ayobase(m): 2:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
ACM10:

The convetional explanation for hunger and famine during the Biafran war was as a result of blockade. But that explanation on its own is insufficient! Remember that Nigerian fighter planes were bombing farms too. Most of the productive energy of Biafrans were channelled into the prosecution of war project. There is hardly any young men left to engage in active farming due to war distraction. Also, many farmer has to leave their farmland and migrate to other areas as refugees. There is hardly any vehicular movement to distribute the little farm produce of the time. Finally, there is total breakdown of law and order. Biafra was in a state of near-anarchy brought about by the war. So government does not funtion. If you put all these conditions together, you'll then understand why kwashiorker epidemic occured.

Are u being sarcastic or being ......?
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ACM10: 2:26pm On Jun 27, 2012
ayobase:

Are u being sarcastic or being ......?

Sarcastic? How?
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by shymex(m): 2:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
Castos: Don't be surprised to hear that the hausas prefer eating in an Igbo resturant. Go to USA, most African resturand are owned by the Igbo, with Igbo diets. Who produce and cooks better than we do.

Another ignorant post..

And in the UK 99.99999% of the Nigerian restaurants are owned by Yoruba.. Does that mean Yoruba produce and cook better than everyone Heck, some even sell banga and edi ka ikang soup... undecided undecided

Too early for chest-beating, mate. undecided

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by shymex(m): 2:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
Middle-belt is and will always be the FOOD BASKET of Nigeria!!

Benue feeds most of you from Lagos, Bayelsa, Enugu, to Sokoto.. undecided

Pay homage to these people, and stop making noise about the little food you guys produce in your regions.. undecided undecided

Apart from cassava which is produced nationwide, Middle-Belters feed Nigeria!! cool

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 27, 2012
Food scarcity will continue in the North except they stop killing. No one is ready to venture into war zone for commerce. I see other scarcities, like PMS, DPK etc.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Ekowise(m): 2:31pm On Jun 27, 2012
Abeg make una 4giv d guy(T9ksy). D guy talk b4 tinking and he hs been cleard. Come 2 Abia state and c food. Anytime i travel 4 xmas, i come bck wit lots of naturaly made fud(nt mixed wit chemical) dat last 4 mnths. Even northerners cn help bt enta Igbo or Calabar resturant 2 eat leaving there own. I knw lots of d NAMAs dat do such.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by adoniza(m): 2:35pm On Jun 27, 2012
The actuall break-up of Nigeria might possibly start from Nairaland.com.

Why is there a tribalist coment almost on every thread here?

3 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
adoniza: The actuall break-up of Nigeria might possibly start from Nairaland.com.

Nairaland has just 912,952 of 150,000,000 so views in Nairaland dont count....an average offline Nigerian is happier and understanding than the internet junkies in Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by begwong: 2:39pm On Jun 27, 2012
Its not unusual to see prices of food items/essential commodities go up after crises.Things will soon be back to normal.What do you expect when the prices of close-up,Maggi etc has also gone up after the crises? Do the farmers in kaduna farm close-up& Maggi
Wrong topic at the right spot(FP) tongue tongue tongue
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ACM10: 2:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
shymex: Middle-belt is and will always be the FOOD BASKET of Nigeria!!

Pay homage to these people, and stop making noise about the little food you guys produce in your regions.. undecided undecided

Apart from cassava which is produced nationwide, Middle-Belters feed Nigeria!! cool

You are ignorant mate undecided How can u say that Benue feeds Enugu? Have u been to Ani-nri in Awgu LGA? Senator Ike Ekweremadu senatorial constituency? Have u been to Ebonyi State? It's high u guys get ashamed of your glaring ignorance.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Afam4eva(m): 2:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
shymex: Middle-belt is and will always be the FOOD BASKET of Nigeria!!

You're not totally correct. yes, Benue produces a lot of food that the nation consumes but not all. And it's not everything that they produce in benue.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by valicious1(m): 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I'm a lil confuse here.

Didn't they say northerners provide food for the Southerners? I see Yorubas providing the food products, but i can't picture Igbos selling products other than car parts and bend-down-pick-up (abi whachumacallit again?)
Maybe u should focus more on brushing up your English before coming up hear to rant about ur nonsense childish tribalistic comments. ILEKe IDiot all ur posts get me so angry that I feel like vomiting. Can't you come out with better talks instead of aimlessly searching for threads with tribal connotions so you can throw up all the rubbish & frustration in your system. Are you the only yoruba here?, I thought people that live in ur part of the world are meant to be smart & wise, you are certainly an exception cos u speak like an insane illiterate. Kid just grow up and stop bashing other peoples' tribe angry
Ileke-IdI:
I'm a lil confuse here.

Didn't they say northerners provide food for the Southerners? I see Yorubas providing the food products, but i can't picture Igbos selling products other than car parts and bend-down-pick-up (abi whachumacallit again?)
Maybe u should focus more on brushing up your English before coming up hear to rant about ur nonsense childish tribalistic comments. ILEKe IDiot all ur posts get me so angry that I feel like vomiting. Can't you come out with better talks instead of aimlessly searching for threads with tribal connotions so you can throw up all the rubbish & frustration in your system. Are you the only yoruba here?, I thought people that live in ur part of the world are meant to be smart & wise, you are certainly an exception cos u speak like an insane illiterate. Kid just grow up and stop bashing other peoples' tribe

8 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by begwong: 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
ayobase: Im always saying it, I cant live in an environment where there are no Igbos!
There must be something soo wrong!
as in environment where there are no robberies,419ers,p.rost.titutes etc tongue tongue tongue
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by majojolo: 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
Haba. It is a lie, how many Igbos/Yorubas selling foodstuff in the markets inside Kaduna, when there are uncountable Hausas and other indegine tribes selling varieties of foodstuff in our markets.

The few Igbos/Yorubas only sell garin kwaki, which nobody cares to buy. Only the Igbos/Yorubas buy and eats garin kwaki, which they consider as their favourite, because is the only food they are use to. Is a shame for a real northerner to eat gari. All the gari in our markets is being consumed by the Igbos/Yorubas.

Anybody who said there is scarcity of foodstuff in our markets here in Kaduna is only saying rubish, because there are foodstuff everywhere in abundance.

People should STOP telling lies. We have foodstuff everywhere in Kaduna. The NORTH is the home of varieties of foodstuff [/b]Haba. It is a lie, how many Igbos/Yorubas selling foodstuff in the markets inside Kaduna, when there are uncountable Hausas and other indegine tribes selling varieties of foodstuff in our markets.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by begwong: 2:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
adoniza: The actuall break-up of Nigeria might possibly start from Nairaland.com.

If its not tribal sentiments,na religion.
Awards for initiators of tribal sentiments on nairaland goes to yourubas &Ibos
Awards for religion bigotry/sentiments goes to. . . grin grin grin
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nightshift(m): 2:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
[quote author=achi4u]except nama(cattle),onions and some fruits like carrots,garbage.. el tal;East didn't depend on any region for foods.[/quote)Some correction dude, about 70% of Yam consumed in the East come from Northern Nigeria. High % of fresh tomatoes, almost all types of beans used for akara, moimoi etc are from North. The entire goats and ram consumed by Ndigbo, + including cattle slaughtered everyday in all the Akwata in Anigbo also come from there. Do you know how many tonnes of maize used for your nutritious Akamu that cross the Niger to us from northern areas? Igbos living in the North often claim that cheap food is one reason they love that hostile North. Please give due to whom it's due. Truly they get garri and palm oil from Southern states, but we are yet to reach their level in agriculture. How many people in the East are practicing large-scale agriculture?
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by EzePromoe: 2:54pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ohoi, shame on those who said we cannot feed without the northerners. And for you abokis, i have an advice for you, hunger have come to stay for a while just give it a chance. I n'anu EWU AWUSA!

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
I'm a lil confuse here.

lol igbo garri comes from where? Yoruba land abi?
Its quite funny how many ignorant folks post here... my igbo grandmother had more food products from her backyard farm than many yoruba markets.
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Chubhie: 3:03pm On Jun 27, 2012
Onlytruth:
You are ignorant. lol
Most Nigerians are ignorant of their own country.
No be person go bring the garri from Umunede to Kaduna, or from Ayalagu to Kaduna?
The traders sustain the farmers and feed the people. The farmer won't eat his own produce. undecided
I remember growing up in imo. At the back of my house then my mother normally pays men to come and plant yams,cassava,water yams and sweet patatoes while she grows vegetables on her garden and corns. I remember during harvest how damn big those yams and cassava used to be then. The maids then will help her on weekends to process the cassava and grind after which it will be fried as garri! The store house was all filled with locally produced stuffs. We even buy abakiliki rice then and only eat foregn rice when my oldman was coming from lagos. We had local fowls that produces all the eggs we need thanks for some crazy ones amongs them. There one popular village market in Ohaji Egbama which was known mostly for there unigue kinda of garri amongst other things. As kids back then once there is long vacation you want to go spend ur hols somewhere. On one of the after getting yapd of being the city type and not knowing how fun the village could be i and another of my cousins decided to explore the village. We bought all manner of traps, a male and two female rabitts and left for the villa. Oboy no light for villa and you bath in the open stream! In the villa in Anambra i was amazed when i saw the yam farm alone how big and the sheer expance of land it occupies talkless of the cassava farm and lots of palm fruits to the point that all throughout our adventure there only beans n rice was bought from the market! You eat everything fresh! When i went to the southwest i also noticed they have similar stuffs like the igbos. Ekitis are known for yams while my fav drinking is from Ijebu! On getting to Kano i noticed, i saw how some Hausas will even use pumping machine to grow fruits like cabbage onions carrots form canels and there unique methods of irrigation. My point each and everyone of the tribe always has something to offer and untill we all embrace our uniqness and not allow religion,tribe or politicians to distort how we see and percieve eachother. I respect the Hausa more when it comes to farming! God bless the fedreal republic of Nigeria and cause peace to reign in our land.

4 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ozoebuka1(m): 3:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

havent you heard what happened during that time? you must be a dumbasss... that fight was between biafra and the whole world..because the whitemen where supporting nigerians and all source of food was cutoff from da eastern part of da country...but that aint gonna happen again!
Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by ozoebuka1(m): 3:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

Re: Food Scarcity Hits Kaduna As Igbo, Yoruba Traders Desert Markets! by Beync(f): 3:13pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

why is there so much poverty in the north that feed the whole nation? pls answer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari And His Dream Of A One Party State - Dele Momodu / Economic Hardship: Begin Importation Of Food - TUC Tells FG / FG Generated 300,000 Businesses, Created One Million Jobs In One Year — VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.