Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,988 members, 7,873,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:21 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (204) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1812691 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (709) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 8:06am On Aug 16, 2014
milychocs:

It is like they gave ten children crayons and told them to, " go for it"
Okay
lipsrsealed
grin grin grin
Just gives a good contrast from the usual colours.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 16, 2014
eaglechild:
grin grin grin
Just gives a good contrast from the usual colours.

Well, they sure gave a huge contrast
...bigger than what my visual capacity can deal with

Gives me a headache
Ezi okwum

Great thread by the way
Representing Enugu too

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:57am On Aug 17, 2014
HELP!!!

The new Coal Camp embankments are being taken over by weed.

Where is our maintenance culture.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 7:48am On Aug 17, 2014
spyder880:
HELP!!!

The grass does not need to be removed from there ..actually it is supposed to grow from those spaces both for erosion control and above all aesthetics. Give it a few years and see the beautiful greenery on the slopes.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2014
kmariko:

The grass does not need to be removed from there ..actually it is supposed to grow from those spaces both for erosion control and above all aesthetics. Give it a few years and see the beautiful greenery on the slopes.
If that is the case maybe they should deliberately plant a particular species for that purpose.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 10:30am On Aug 17, 2014
kmariko:

^^^Spyder is still right! I think i know what you mean; but still it shows a lack of planning and maintenance if we still haven't got that 'look' by now......one year after the job has been completed and with the current plentiful rains! By now we should have had a nice even spread of grass growing out from each of the thousands of little holes, and they should have been well trimmed by a grass trimmer weekly and pleasant to look at! As has been suggested, i think it needs a special type of grass to be planted and nurtured, and not the normal hardy ajepkako Nigerian grass that's presently growing there! I'm sure there are horticulturists in Enugu that could tend to that area on a small contract!

It's not rocket science!

PS- Good work all the same, as that area used to look terrible!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 10:33am On Aug 17, 2014
Also, that whole area needs some greenery to soften its look! It's looking too hard and brutal with all the concrete and iron railings!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 11:04am On Aug 17, 2014
spyder880:
HELP!!!

Is this coal camp or Akwata?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:13am On Aug 17, 2014
HappyJoe:

Is this coal camp or Akwata?

Akwata Coal camp cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
spyder880:
Akwata Coal camp cheesy

Very true, Enugu at times confuses me - haven't lived there since for at least a decade.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:33pm On Aug 17, 2014
kmariko:

Yes, but not this type of grass though. It is the specie we commonly refer to as carpet grass, which actually looks like a green rug and does not grow taller than 6 inches. What i see in that picture is weed.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 2:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
Sullivan has laid a solid foundation, Enugu's fate rests on the shoulders of whoever takes over from him - i.e. who governs Enugu for the next 8 years.

They should choose wisely, Enugu's politics is a bit rough (it is not for gentlemen) & there's a risk of them having a "street-fighter", who won't have too much time for development.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by castrogee(m): 4:38pm On Aug 17, 2014
Unemadu:

We wouldnt have had any international flights at all if not for Jonathan admin. Now there is every likelihood that the Niger bridge will be built. Give the guy a break cos he too is fighting Northern forces.

Our focus should be regional integration. We should foster a better partnership with other eastern states and create a powerful economic block.
Why must we always wait for FG or Biafra?

Is there any reason why the eastern region cannot be connected by rail?

Is there any reason why we cant join hands with akwa ibom for instance to develop the sea port or at least have an agreement in terms of transport infrastructure from there to SE states?

My brother Unemadu, judging from your post I'm very proud of your intellectual contribution. You are a star! And if you don't mind can I ask what you think of the next governorship election of coal city state.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by castrogee(m): 4:41pm On Aug 17, 2014
Unemadu:

We wouldnt have had any international flights at all if not for Jonathan admin. Now there is every likelihood that the Niger bridge will be built. Give the guy a break cos he too is fighting Northern forces.

Our focus should be regional integration. We should foster a better partnership with other eastern states and create a powerful economic block.
Why must we always wait for FG or Biafra?

Is there any reason why the eastern region cannot be connected by rail?

Is there any reason why we cant join hands with akwa ibom for instance to develop the sea port or at least have an agreement in terms of transport infrastructure from there to SE states?

My brother Unemadu, judging from your post I'm very proud of your intellectual contribution. You are a star! If you don't mind can I ask you what you think of the next year guber election in Enugu state?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
HappyJoe: Sullivan has laid a solid foundation, Enugu's fate rests on the shoulders of whoever takes over from him - i.e. who governs Enugu for the next 8 years.

They should choose wisely, Enugu's politics is a bit rough (it is not for gentlemen) & there's a risk of them having a "street-fighter", who won't have too much time for development.

^^^Just the thought of Enugu having an 'Orji' type of a street-fighter for the next 8 years after Chime makes me break out in a cold sweat! embarassed

Let's face it......90% of the politicians in this country are greedy, visionless and self-serving twerps; they're in politics just for the money, fame, and chance to be called 'your excellency sir'!

We were lucky with Sullivan Chime, but then lightening doesn't strike twice does it?......Not when it's something good it doesn't!

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
castrogee:

My brother Unemadu, judging from your post I'm very proud of your intellectual contribution. You are a star! If you don't mind can I ask you what you think of the next year guber election in Enugu state?

Tnx for the compliment.

Well i think its going to be straightforward as usual. PDP takes the day and from what i've gotten from a few Enugu residents they wont mind an Nsuka candidate going by Chime's plan. So whoever Chime picks from Nsuka zone takes the day even though some people feel that developement will stop at Opi junction LOL.

Though Ekweremadu is a strong contender but the zoning thing will have a massive impact. So the major question is can Chime take charge of the pdp machinery and install his candidate or will he loose the battle to the combined forces of Chimaroke and Ekweremadu.
Just my Opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
IGBOSON1:
^^^Just the thought of Enugu having an 'Orji' type of a street-fighter for the next 8 years after Chime makes me break out in a cold sweat! embarassed
Let's face it......90% of the politicians in this country are greedy, visionless and self-serving twerps; they're in politics just for the money, fame, and chance to be called 'your excellency sir'!
We were lucky with Sullivan Chime, but then lightening doesn't strike twice does it?......Not when it's something good it doesn't!

I pray it doesn't get to that, Chimaraoke (for all his faults) was better than Orji Uzor Kalu - & Enugu politicians (though no gentlemen) don't tend to be as crazy as Abia or Anambra politicians.

If they guy comes from Nsukka - Nsukka people tend to be level-headed; but I'm not sure such a person will emphasize Enugu like Sullivan. He'll massively develop Nsukka.

And Enugu needs the next 8 years to move it from a[i] town[/i] to a regional city. I have no doubts that with the right set of policies, Enugu can favorably compete with Kano - in a decade. It needs an infrastructure plan that combines roads & buildings with attracting businesses - Ndigbo are fleeing the North & Enugu is often a great town to settle.

The problem is that a typical local politician may not see the need for all this - and might just prefer to be a "local champion" - no vision, no planning, nothing. Such politicians abound in the Southeast, neighboring Ebonyi is a very good example.

I worry about continuity in Enugu - Jim installed Nnamani, Nnamani quarreled with Jim. Nnamani installed Sullivan, Sullivan quarreled with Nnamani. Sullivan has refused to complete Nnamani's projects (even when they make sense) - like the International Conference Center in Independence Layout or abandoning Hotel Presidential. I fear the next guy could quarrel with Sullivan and abandon all his plans.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
^^^ Both manufacturing and services companies should be attracted to establish in Enugu.Thats one thing Chime failed to do. Maybe the next gov will focus on that.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 5:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
Unemadu: ^^^ Both manufacturing and services companies should be attracted to establish in Enugu.Thats one thing Chime failed to do. Maybe the next gov will focus on that.

I'm not sure that will happen. The next governor may be so busy with Nsukka, he'd forget all that.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2014
HappyJoe:
I have no doubts that with the right set of policies, Enugu can favorably compete with Kano - in a decade.

How can you compare enugu with hugh slum called kano. Enugu is far better than kano in all level. O boy do a simple Google search on kano and see the kind of yeye comparism you are making.
Onitsha is even far bigger than the who of kano,esp in building and city skyline. What a disgrace

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:54pm On Aug 17, 2014
Bishop42:
How can you compare enugu with hugh slum called kano. Enugu is far better than kano in all level. O boy do a simple Google search on kano and see the kind of yeye comparism you are making.
Onitsha is even far bigger than the who of kano,esp in building and city skyline. What a disgrace

I'm not talking about infrastructure and roads - I'm talking about economic output.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
Bishop42:

Onitsha is NOT bigger than Kano. Only people who have never been to Kano say this.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 7:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
If Aba and Onitsha get the livability infrastructure (leisure, beautification, calm, law enforcement) focus that Owerri and Enugu have and Owerri and Enugu get the economic focus that Aba and Onitcha have, the SE will be a developed country.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 7:47pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ikengawo: If Aba and Onitsha get the livability infrastructure (leisure, beautification, calm, law enforcement) focus that Owerri and Enugu have and Owerri and Enugu get the economic focus that Aba and Onitcha have, the SE will be a developed country.

The problem is that the average Southeast politician lacks the vision to drive that. Consider Abakaliki, about an hour's drive from Enugu, the governor has no vision to tap into the economic growth of Enugu or leverage on proximity to Enugu.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:36pm On Aug 17, 2014
Lagos, Rivers, Anambra, Abia, Kano, Ogun control 90% of cash transactions in
Nigeria – CBN
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/lagos-6-other-states-control-90-of-cash-transactions-in-nigeria-cbn/

Notice Rivers,Anambra and Abia comes before Kano. This means kano is not that rich compare the Eastern states

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
HappyJoe:

The problem is that the average Southeast politician lacks the vision to drive that. Consider Abakaliki, about an hour's drive from Enugu, the governor has no vision to tap into the economic growth of Enugu or leverage on proximity to Enugu.

our people are very short sighted. Sometimes it amazes me but you're right. They can't see it this way. They know about money but not economics. We're not strategic at all and have a hard time looking at the bigger picture. I always get frustrated when my own Orlu people want to create an Orlu state for no reason. It's not as if we're marginalized because we have dominated the governorship, but Owerri of course will get more attention than Orlu because it's the capital. Break the two away will create 2 weak capitals because there's strength in numbers but we're so short sighted that this doesn't make sense. This is the only reason I question Biafra, or nature is very short sighted and vision to see beyond the immediate reality is limited. We're good realists but you can't always be a realist if you want to change your reality. I see the same problem in many SE states. Anyone in Abia that governs and neglects Aba just because they're not from there is a fool. Aba has the power to transform the entire former east region. When you go to Anambra, the same second class status is given to Onitsha. It's only Enugu that pays attention to it's best shot at greatness.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ikengawo:
our people are very short sighted. Sometimes it amazes me but you're right. They can't see it this way. They know about money but not economics. We're not strategic at all and have a hard time looking at the bigger picture. I always get frustrated when my own Orlu people want to create an Orlu state for no reason. It's not as if we're marginalized because we have dominated the governorship, but Owerri of course will get more attention than Orlu because it's the capital. Break the two away will create 2 weak capitals because there's strength in numbers but we're so short sighted that this doesn't make sense. This is the only reason I question Biafra, or nature is very short sighted and vision to see beyond the immediate reality is limited. We're good realists but you can't always be a realist if you want to change your reality. I see the same problem in many SE states. Anyone in Abia that governs and neglects Aba just because they're not from there is a fool. Aba has the power to transform the entire former east region. When you go to Anambra, the same second class status is given to Onitsha. It's only Enugu that pays attention to it's best shot at greatness.

Very right - the problem is that we haven't gotten over the clan/village mentality.

Orji is a very big liability to Ndigbo - ozoemena!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by capricon: 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
Can coal still be exploited in Enugu? considering the environmental impact it will have.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nedu09(m): 9:32pm On Aug 17, 2014
Ikengawo:

very funny you are talking of onitsha status as being second class whan Awka would be called what? First class? Hahah! Onitsha is even far better than that so called Awka.... As it stance now noting to write home about. Our politicians lacks common foresight and focus to put in place and work together for a common goal. My friends in PH haven't hard and knw where Awka is.... Is only owerri and Enugu. And that keeps one wondering whether 042 (coal city) and O-Town (heartland city) is the only viable city in SE...... They only knw Onitsha as dirty "market square" but thank i God for the new administration. We need to wake up and the old shuld pave way for the youth to attain the mantle... The likes of Ojir and Elechi shuld pipe low lets put our house in order and other pple would like to identify with us....

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
Nedu09: very funny you are talking of onitsha status as being second class whan Awka would be called what? First class? Hahah! Onitsha is even far better than that so called Awka.... As it stance now noting to write home about. Our politicians lacks common foresight and focus to put in place and work together for a common goal. My friends in PH haven't hard and knw where Awka is.... Is only owerri and Enugu. And that keeps one wondering whether 042 (coal city) and O-Town (heartland city) is the only viable city in SE...... They only knw Onitsha as dirty "market square" but thank i God for the new administration. We need to wake up and the old shuld pave way for the youth to attain the mantle... The likes of Ojir and Elechi shuld pipe low lets put our house in order and other pple would like to identify with us....

Please what is Obiano doing about Onitsha?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nedu09(m): 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
As in i Had been silently observing this thread quite sometime now since last year with no comment...... But i was forced to do so now...... @spyder88: i must commend you for this. keep the thread going despite all we had lost we keep on pushing... Took a vocation to Enugu am impressed with what i saw.... I think i took some few shot. Would check later.... See what i loved about this city....

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nedu09(m): 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
Dnt even know how to get this stuff up here. having some difficulties with it

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) ... (709) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.