Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,390 members, 7,929,229 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 11:22 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1833136 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (711) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
HappyJoe: That airport terminal building is being built by the Chinese - it is independent of Stella's remodeling efforts. They promised to complete it next year.

lol at the bolded.

Since when did breaking a "promise" become a big deal to the vindictive namas we share this country with?
Although it is hard to hear and swallow, Biafrandream stated the hard facts.We just have to pray this Chidoka guy will take this seriously and knows the stake is high. The day he leaves that ministry,ndiofe and abo.kis will ensure the building will stop where he left it for another 10 or 15 years.

That was precisely the reason why they erased it from the list of international airport terminals to be built with the half a billion dollars Chinese loan indebted to Nigeria.
If Enugu terminal building had been in that loan, its funding and completion would have been guaranteed. But Tambuwal & co said capital NO! to including Enugu terminal in the loan.The reality of the situation is that we share the same country with a bunch of mean animals who plot day and night on how to cheat us and keep us down.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
cjrane:
lol at the bolded.
Since when did breaking a "promise" become a big deal to the vindictive namas we share this country with?
Although it is hard to hear and swallow, Biafrandream stated the hard facts.We just have to pray this Chidoka guy will take this seriously and knows the stake is high. The day he leaves that ministry,ndiofe and abo.kis will ensure the building will stop where he left it for another 10 or 15 years.
That was precisely the reason why they erased it from the list of international airport terminals to be built with the half a billion dollars Chinese loan indebted to Nigeria.
If Enugu terminal building had been in that loan, its funding and completion would have been guaranteed. But Tambuwal & co said capital NO! to including Enugu terminal in the loan.The reality of the situation is that we share the same country with a bunch of mean animals who plot day and night on how to cheat us and keep us down.

I don't doubt that - but construction of that terminal went on at full speed under Samuel Ortom (the temporary minister) - so I don't think there's any cause for work to be stopped.

I took this picture on the 16th of January, 2014 - Stella was removed on the 12th of February. You cannot tell me that the airport got to its current state before the 12th of February - that is not true, Samuel Ortom made sure work went at full speed. If work has truly stopped - blame Osita Chidoka, not Tambuwal or anyone else:

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:43pm On Sep 06, 2014
cjrane:
lol at the bolded.

We have to establish:

1. Whether work on the airport terminal has been stopped.
2. Why it was stopped and who stopped it.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Collynzo16: 9:46pm On Sep 06, 2014
HappyJoe:

We have to establish:

Leave all these serial whiners alone. Work is going on at the airport just as it is in other airports in the country, by the same contractors, but some people just have to whine about something.
Bunch of cry babies.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:49pm On Sep 06, 2014
Collynzo16:
Leave all these serial whiners alone. Work is going on at the airport just as it is in other airports in the country, by the same contractors, but some people just have to whine about something.
Bunch of cry babies.

Are you in Enugu? How do you about this for sure? Just asking.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:54pm On Sep 06, 2014
Work is certainly going on at the airport, I saw workers on the building with their visibility jackets. I will zoom this picture later.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
The zoom in, I counted six workers there this Saturday afternoon.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 10:24pm On Sep 06, 2014
cjrane:

Spyder,
Is it true that oakland amusement park has bought the land adjacent to it and are expanding into the new space to great a mega amusement park?

Cjrane na agba asiri...lol

Well, that location is for Park n' Shop, a retail outlet like Shop rite. In Lagos, Park n Shop is giving Shoprite a run for its money.
The store was supposed to be ready in time for Christmas.
I dunno how far construction has progressed.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2014
HappyJoe:

We have to establish:

Bros, you completely missed my point.
I am not present in Enugu to ascertain if work stopped or not. I am in faraway Lagos. The summary of my statement is that based on the history we have witnessed with fellow compatriots in Nigeria, if Osita Chidoka does not take the completion of this terminal building very seriously and wastes his time on " security of airports", if ndi-ofe or abo.ki take over that ministry and the project is still uncompleted, then its completion will not be their priority.

Recall that Obasanjo was the first that said he would make Enugu International if Igbos can find 4 international airlines that will fly there. Which other international airport in Nigeria had to get 4 international airlines to sign an undertaken before it was built? Thus, in summary, they will find "good" reasons why the project should be abandoned if Chidoka fails to complete it during his tenure.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:56pm On Sep 06, 2014
cjrane:

Bros, you completely missed my point.
I am not present in Enugu to ascertain if work stopped or not. I am in faraway Lagos. The summary of my statement is that based on the history we have witnessed with a fellow compatriots in Nigeria, if Osita Chidoka does not take the completion of this terminal building very seriously and wastes his time on " security of airports", if ndi-ofe or abo.ki take over that ministry and the project is still uncompleted, then its completion will not be their priority.

Recall that Obasanjo was the first that said he would make Enugu International if Igbos can find 4 international airlines that will fly there. Which other international airport in Nigeria had to get 4 international airlines to sign an undertaken before it was built? Thus, in summary, they will find "good" reasons why the project should be abandoned if Chidoka fails to complete it during his tenure.

^^^You and i are on the same page! You're talking based on our past experiences in this country, so don't mind peeps that say you're whining!

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 07, 2014
spyder880: I hope the Chinese will construct a tunnel linking the domestic terminal with the international one. The tunnel will facilitate easier transfers from both terminals, thereby avoiding the mistake made during the construction of both MM1 and MM2 (Murtala Moh'd airport).

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Reconz2014: 6:39am On Sep 07, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^I'll go with Dr M I Okpara. He did much for laying a foundation for development on which the entire old Eastern Region is still building on today! I have a lot of respect for that man!!
hmm
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:59am On Sep 07, 2014
If you compare pictures of the terminal building - you'll notice a lot more block work in later pictures.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 7:03am On Sep 07, 2014
Spyder thank you for the updates. I am so impressed with the way work is going there at the airport. I wish the governor will tender a request to Fed govt to beautify the airport by the state government. Also our people should start requesting for the privatization of these airport. This will enable structures put in place there to last and for continuous maintenance and renovations.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 7:13am On Sep 07, 2014
CFCfan: spyder880: I hope the Chinese will construct a tunnel linking the domestic terminal with the international one. The tunnel will facilitate easier transfers from both terminals, thereby avoiding the mistake made during the construction of both MM1 and MM2 (Murtala Moh'd airport).

They won't.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:45am On Sep 07, 2014
CFCfan: spyder880: I hope the Chinese will construct a tunnel linking the domestic terminal with the international one. The tunnel will facilitate easier transfers from both terminals, thereby avoiding the mistake made during the construction of both MM1 and MM2 (Murtala Moh'd airport).

^^^Beta soup, na money kill am!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 10:18am On Sep 07, 2014
cjrane:

lol at the bolded.

Brother I feel you. It's fun having people around you, who understand the handwriting on the wall.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by shineeye: 11:18am On Sep 07, 2014
cjrane:

Subway, Eat fresh! grin
subway sandwich shop in enugu??wow that is nice i love subway food they are very nice...
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2014

A tunnel will be too expensive and impracticable. A simple corridor with roof over it to protect people from rain will do the job. If we want to be fanciful, just wall the sides of the corridor or use glass so that it is air conditioned.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

A tunnel will be too expensive and impracticable. A simple corridor with roof over it to protect people from rain will do the job. If we want to be fanciful, just wall the sides of the corridor or use glass so that it is air conditioned.
Yeah, you said what was on my mind. I didn't mean an underground tunnel; just a walkway that would link both terminals.
I'd prefer a glass cladding along with a roof. Provision should be made for special vehicles to transport aged folks within the walkway/corridor.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Beta soup, na money kill am!!
Absolutely
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
CFCfan:
Yeah, you said what was on my mind. I didn't mean an underground tunnel; just a walkway that would link both terminals.
I'd prefer a glass cladding along with a roof. Provision should be made for special vehicles to transport aged folks within the walkway/corridor.

If you look at the satellite imagery of the site, a walkway or corridor connecting the international terminal to the domestic terminal is less than 60 meters and really should not be difficult at all.
Your point about old folks being able to be transported is well in order. Also the mention of battery powered indoor car to transport aged folks is well in order. There should be a comfortable way of transferring people who are too old or too sick to walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminal and vice versa.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=6.471904&lon=7.565954&z=17&m=b

https://www.google.com/maps/@6.4712093,7.5646633,439m/data=!3m1!1e3
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 4:07pm On Sep 07, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:
If you look at the satellite imagery of the site, a walkway or corridor connecting the international terminal to the domestic terminal is less than 60 meters and really should not be difficult at all.
Your point about old folks being able to be transported is well in order. Also the mention of battery powered indoor car to transport aged folks is well in order. There should be a comfortable way of transferring people who are too old or too sick to walk from the international terminal to the domestic terminal and vice versa.

It will not be done - "initiative" or "innovation" is totally alien to the Nigerian Civil Service.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

And the service, like in other airports, should be free.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
spyder880: Some small areas where the drainage system is covered.

Sypder880,
How far with the shopping complex being built at the former old park?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 6:01pm On Sep 07, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

^^^That's where a travelator can come in handy.....it's like an escalator, only difference is it's on level ground. About 4 or 5 of them, well space out should assist those not capable of walking long distances!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 6:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
IGBOSON1:
^^^That's where a travelator can come in handy.....it's like an escalator, only difference is it's on level ground. About 4 or 5 of them, well space out should assist those not capable of walking long distances!

Won't happen in Enugu - or any Nigerian airport. Our incompetence is legendary.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 6:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
Please, if the new states are created, would Sullivan be entitled to contest governorship of new Enugu. I need contributions from this forum.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 6:49pm On Sep 07, 2014
HappyJoe:

Won't happen in Enugu - or any Nigerian airport. Our incompetence is legendary.

It is already available in Lagos airport when walking over from the domestic wing to the international wing.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 07, 2014
IGBOSON1:

Gov. Chime knows deeply within him that the biggest legacy he has after he leaves office is to ensure the completion Enugu International Airport. He has to collaborate with Nigerian Aviation - they can't just do as they want with cheap work - to make sure it's finished beyond typical Nigerian standard. I'm not impressed at all with the work done at the local wing in spite of the money allocated for it....such a shitty work. I don't expect the new international terminal to look extravagant or eye-popping like Dubai, Qatar or Malaysian airports with marble and glass everywhere, but something simple yet very quality as most small US airports will be ideal. Any mediocre work done will infuriate most Igbo people and will jeopardize financial viability and patronage. Something I'd like to see and I hope Enugu government is already doing is to have investors site quality hotels within 5-10 miles radius of the airport.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
biafrandream: Please, if the new states are created, would Sullivan be entitled to contest governorship of new Enugu. I need contributions from this forum.

If I catch him eh....

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (711) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: OkpaNsukkaisBae(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.