Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,583 members, 7,878,645 topics. Date: Tuesday, 02 July 2024 at 11:52 PM

Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 (19444 Views)

Basketball Team: D'Tigers Had Six-Weeks To Prepare – Oyedeji / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Nigeria (2) Vs. Cote D'ivoire (0) In 2008 Olympics: Nigeria Wins! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 09, 2012
Freesia: Congrats to the winners!! just wondering what happened to the nigerian born talent. Did the team have to "import" the american born sons of nigerian born fathers for the team to be complete?

Are they not Nigerians?

Some of you racist scallywags just think out of your arses smh... So because they were born outside the country, they're not Nigerians in your deluded and dirty mind, huh?

And who the hell made you the spokesperson to judge people's Nigerian-ness?

You deserve a slap for your stupid post. undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Redman44(m): 10:04am On Jul 09, 2012
Coach Ayo Bakare should not make too many changes to this Squad for the Olympic Games. The boys are already bonding together and bringing in new faces will start the gelling process all over again. I believe Ike Diogu, The Aminu Brothers, Obasohan, Ade Dagunduro, Oyedeji, Tony Skinn etc can get the job done in London against Argentina, USA, France etc. We just need 1-2 new but very good players who can add some spice to the team. I'll be cheering D'Tigers in London. Cheers.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by solomon111(m): 11:37am On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex:

Are they not Nigerians?

Some of you racist scallywags just think out of your arses smh... So because they were born outside the country, they're not Nigerians in your deluded and dirty mind, huh?

For once,in your pathetic life,you have spoken like a human being
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by solomon111(m): 12:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Pops Mensah Bonsu
Nazr Mohammed

http://www.africabasket.com/Ghana/basketball-Players-Abroad.asp

http://www.africabasket.com/Ghana/basketball.asp

WE are coming after you girls and have a 5 year plan. Unlike you we are developing our talent locallygrin grin grin

In 5 years Ghana will be one of the giants in African basketball wink wink
The level of the technicality of basketball in africa is very low,so it will be a tall dream to think you can have an impact in world basket ball with local talents.
The best you can do is to create a strong and functional basketball league(which Nigeria relatively has),and source for foreign based ghanian talents(that is if you have any),fuse the local and foreign based together,thereby ensuring that the team has players with raw energy and world class exposure.
Anything,short of that,is akin to building the castle in the air.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by otokx(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
At least we have something to cheer about.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by onila(f): 5:43pm On Jul 09, 2012
smiley naija 4 life!
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
Good luck to the team!
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 09, 2012
The game was tense but they stepped up the tempo towards the end..

Ike Diogu hit the big shots..

Al Farooq had five blocks..

And Dagunduro didn't disappoint..

I'm proud of you guys. cool
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 09, 2012
Congratulations
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freiburger(m): 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freesia: Congrats to the winners!! just wondering what happened to the nigerian born talent. Did the team have to "import" the american born sons of nigerian born fathers for the team to be complete?
I sense a huge mental retardation.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Sprumbaba: 7:45pm On Jul 09, 2012

Can you jump very well with FUFU and EBA?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freesia(f): 8:19pm On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex:

Are they not Nigerians?

Why do you always have a habit of verbally abusing people and getting hysterical on a public forum because people do not agree with you or have a different opinion? I don't indulge in exchanging verbal abuse to faceless individuals on forums because it's not worth it!!

Freiburger:
I sense a huge mental retardation.

On the contrary...I'm just seeing it from a different angle how about Nigeria recruits the best talent that could provide well paid earners in Nigeria?
Sprumbaba:

Can you jump very well with FUFU and EBA?

hahaha the same way the footballers have been running on the field,If it can make you run on the field for over 90 minutes that same Eba will make you jump sky high too,you can't joke with some recipes at all lol
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Ozonna(m): 8:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
tbaba1234:

Tough Group, USA Argentina and lithuania,

What a group!!! Haba!!! This is wicked
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freiburger(m): 8:27pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freesia:

On the contrary...I'm just seeing it from a different angle how about Nigeria recruits the best talent that could provide well paid earners in Nigeria?

and what is wrong in recruiting non-Nigerians as part of the effort of having a sound team?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by SuyaEater(m): 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2012
Who cares where they were born if they feel nigerian at heart then big props to them, America stole our greatest export hakeem olajuwon so boohoo. Guiseppe rossi who was born in america decided to represent the country of his father italy boohoo. Most of the french team that won the world cup in 1998 were mainly of african decent boohooo tongue

If you have Nigerian blood you are nigerian. Joakim noah who was born in america, decided to represent the country of his tennis great father yannick noah..france. Chris kama represented germany even tho he was born in america grin grin grin grin grin

Its always funny when people bring that up when you just had some success, if this team didnt make the olympics nobody gives an hippopotamus sh-t

1 Like

Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freesia(f): 8:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freiburger:
and what is wrong in recruiting non-Nigerians as part of the effort of having a sound team?

look at it long term get the best skills temporarily as you build your own team.
SuyaEater: Who cares where they were born if they feel nigerian at heart then big props to them, America stole our greatest export hakeem olajuwon so boohoo.

why do you say stole? don't tell me it wasn't music to your ears when he added Naija to the map once more...I know it brought a smile to my face every time I heard his name pronounced and people saying he's Nigerian so you can imagine if the Naija team had 10 Hakeem Olajuwon's
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Blyss: 8:43pm On Jul 09, 2012
SmoothCrim: Well done!! grin grin

Just like Ghana will never catch Nigeria in Basketball, Nigeria will never catch Ghana in football cheesy cheesy On a serious note 2 African teams in the Olympics is a huge accomplishment and it shows the growth of the game on the continent. wink

Not really a representation of the growth of the game on the continent, in that both teams are full of American and Europeans born and raised players. They're basically simply just a bunch of second generation AA (Nigerian team) and Afro-European (Tunis) players. The Nigerian team played very well, and I wish both teams the best of luck, and hopefully their successes will in fact get more youths whom are actually IN AFRICA interested in the sport, so that next time around more home based players will be participants on the National teams.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freiburger(m): 8:45pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freesia:

look at it long term get the best skills temporarily as you build your own team.

and what is your aim of trying to build a team that will be free of non-Nigerian on a long term?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 09, 2012
I wish them best of luck in the olympics, i hope they bring at least bronze medal
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freesia(f): 8:56pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freiburger:
and what is your aim of trying to build a team that will be free of non-Nigerian on a long term?
The aim is not to be non-Nigerian as you put it but to be the best at what they do.So that it shall be an honor to play for team tigers.Every boy anywhere in the world who is basketball crazy has a dream of playing for the NBA because they are in the big league...what?? you don't have any faith in your country and think they can do it someday?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freiburger(m): 8:58pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freesia:
The aim is not to be non-Nigerian as you put it but to be the best at what they do.So that it shall be an honor to play for team tigers.Every boy anywhere in the world who is basketball crazy has a dream of playing for the NBA because they are in the big league...what?? you don't have any faith in your country and think they can do it someday?
Sorry i can't get you.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freesia(f): 9:54pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freiburger:
Sorry i can't get you.

Just like the NBA it should also be a dream to play for the Tigers someday through reputation smiley
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freiburger(m): 9:56pm On Jul 09, 2012
and that dream should be opened to every one and not limited to Nigerians on a long term as you may claim.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Freesia(f): 10:30pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freiburger: and that dream should be opened to every one and not limited to Nigerians on a long term as you may claim.

You may have misunderstood me there...first BUILD a home team,GAIN a reputation,KEEP the reputation and let the sky be the limit for players.Bottom line is Nigeria would be seen as one of the teams any professional athlete,high ranking player or MVP would like to play for.Nigeria is the BRAND here!
Out of curiosity did the US based players have an option to play for Team USA in the Olympics?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by damseremie(m): 12:41am On Jul 10, 2012
Here's the match highlights..
London..here we come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQ38tczeI8
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by airmark(m): 1:25am On Jul 10, 2012
@Freesia, nothing is wrong with those guys representing us. Their fathers are Nigerians, so what the ish you talking about.It's not that we recruited full-blown americans to represent us.
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by Nobody: 3:01am On Jul 10, 2012
Freesia:

Why do you always have a habit of verbally abusing people and getting hysterical on a public forum because people do not agree with you or have a different opinion? I don't indulge in exchanging verbal abuse to faceless individuals on forums because it's not worth it!!

hahaha the same way the footballers have been running on the field,If it can make you run on the field for over 90 minutes that same Eba will make you jump sky high too,you can't joke with some recipes at all lol

simple,are they nigerians by any connection?if yes,why do u have a problem with that,with all thje born in naija players we have had how many times did nigeria ever get close to qualifying for the olympics.
the team is filled with nigerians and last time i checked,one of those last names sounded american to me
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by safarigirl(f): 7:14am On Jul 10, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Pops Mensah Bonsu
Nazr Mohammed

http://www.africabasket.com/Ghana/basketball-Players-Abroad.asp

http://www.africabasket.com/Ghana/basketball.asp

WE are coming after you girls and have a 5 year plan. Unlike you we are developing our talent locallygrin grin grin

In 5 years Ghana will be one of the giants in African basketball wink wink
Until then.....CONGRATS D'TIGERS. Plus Naija's U-14 handball team just won the World Cup, how's that for home grown talent?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by wy2000(m): 9:01am On Jul 10, 2012
Freiburger:

Who in the team is not a Nigerian? Cos all of them have Nigerian name with Nigerian parents?
Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by wy2000(m): 9:08am On Jul 10, 2012
Freesia:

You may have misunderstood me there...first BUILD a home team,GAIN a reputation,KEEP the reputation and let the sky be the limit for players.Bottom line is Nigeria would be seen as one of the teams any professional athlete,high ranking player or MVP would like to play for.Nigeria is the BRAND here!
Out of curiosity did the US based players have an option to play for Team USA in the Olympics?

Nigeria team should be made up of the BEST among anybody of Nigerian citizenship. So the foriegn-based/born players should be banned?
So what makes the players in Nigeria more Nigerian than foreign born ones??
The Olympic Team is made up of Nigerians, whether at birth or naturalized. Even at that, ALL of them are Nigerians at Birth!!!

1 Like

Re: Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 by saintohia: 11:08am On Jul 10, 2012
The guyz are really good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

NFF Denies Appointing Paul Le Guen As Super Eagles Manager / Edinson Cavani Charged Over Instagram Post / Liverpool Players, Staff And Fans Sing You'll Never Walk Alone After UCL Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.