Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,910 members, 7,909,417 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 02:34 AM

Understanding Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding Atheism (1563 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2012
I hav bin reading various atheist post 4 some time now. Though what they say contradict my belief. I must admit, they are making sense.

Apart from the dictionary definition that atheist dont belive in God, is there any other thing about atheism?.

Since they dont beliv in God, who do they belive in?
Whats their view on the creation? Is it scientific Evolution?
Am i write to call atheism, a scientist religion?
Do they have a book? Any law , commandment or mode of ethics?
Who is the ist atheist?
What is their belief on many life phenomenal?

Plz u can indicate their official website for me to know more.
Re: Understanding Atheism by logicboy01: 7:18pm On Jul 08, 2012
1) Yes, an atheist is simply one who says that there is no evidence to believe in a god.

2) No, atheism is not a scientific religion. Atheists just ask for evidence when it comes to religion. The thing is that science is evidence-based and has enough evidence to go against religious claims in holy books. I can give arguments against religion/god with or without science. Science is a bonus. Also atheism is not a religion, it is a disbelief. It is just like saying that "not collecting stamps" is a hobby.

3) I became an atheist before I even knew about evolution. I knew that creationism was false on the basis that the supernatural has no evidence. Evolution has evidence and is quite a strong scientific theory. I'm sure that there are atheists that dont understand evolution but they will never accept creationism because it has supernatural claims and no evidence.

4) As an atheist, I live my life based on humanist ethics. I know that if I treat people well, they are likely to treat me kindly in return. I live my life based on pros and cons of my actions. While morality is subjective, there are certain things that are universal (moral universalism) that humans have learnt from interacting with others. We dont need the bible to know that we sjould not kill innocent people and so on.

5) Atheists do not believe in the supernatural as well.

6) There are no rigid rules when it comes to atheism. There are no holy books.
Re: Understanding Atheism by cyrexx: 7:51pm On Jul 08, 2012
Let me start by giving you a big kudos for trying to be objective and examine things for yourself instead of relying on what religion mandate that you must believe by faith as the "truth" even though it is full of contradictions and absurdities
cool

tobechi20: I hav bin reading various atheist post 4 some time now. Though what they say contradict my belief. I must admit, they are making sense.

Apart from the dictionary definition that atheist dont belive in God, is there any other thing about atheism?.

there is no special thing about atheism as i am about to explain to you. if there is anything, its equivalent to emancipation from mental slavery, quoting Bob Marley.

religion has a very great and effective mind control mechanism that conditions your mind to believe some erroneous statements as the "truth" that you will never see for what they really are until you step out of religion. case in point, the muslims and the boko haram totally believe they are doing god's will and you cant convince them otherwise just like i cant convince you that there is not eternal hell waiting for you if you disobey christianity.
those mind control mechanisms include the threat of eternal damnation and religious brainwashing from childhood i.e. you keep chanting and repeating the same thing over and over again until you believe its true e.g. christian choruses and muslims allahu akbar chanting

i can give many more examples but i believe you are beginning to get the gist.

this is a great mental slavery and atheism is nothing more than recovery from it.

tobechi20:
Since they dont beliv in God, who do they belive in?

people always make this fallacious statement that atheists reject God.
this is far from the truth. which stupid person will reject what you know as real and can be verified.
the reason why atheists can believe that God does not exist is because he is not real and cannot be verified objectively. there is no evidence that he exists any where in any universe

atheists don't have to believe in anything. they only believe what is real and true and makes sense to them .

tobechi20:
Whats their view on the creation? Is it scientific Evolution?

this is a question that the cosmologists and biologists will provide a better explanation than i can.
pls google those topics and you will find better explanation than what i can give you

but let me just say that religionists will tell you that evolution is false in order to justify their creation story.
they think by ridiculing evolution, they are justifying their superstitious genesis story which is actually borrowed from ancient babylonian creation myth.
but it is obvious that the authors of the bible and quran know much much less than what an average person today know about our big universe.

religion will tell you what to believe and mandate you to believe by faith without using your reasoning that may contradict the holy books. this will discourage you from further research and discovery that may be of great benefit to humanity. did i also forget to tell that you are threatened with eternal hell fire if you dont believe them.

science has dicovered a lot and they will keep discovering more without being shackled by superstitious religious beliefs

tobechi20:

you can call them whatever you like,
but the fact is that they follow no religion, they same way you dont follow Islamic religion or Indian religion
there is no book of atheism other than books that are based on reason, logic and sound scientific truths.
you can even write your own book and it will be accepted if is reasonable and makes sense.

tobechi20:
Do they have a book? Any law , commandment or mode of ethics?
Who is the ist atheist?

wow. you still have a lot of baggage from your religion
you assume atheists have a religion, holy book and commandments because your religion has
your assumptions are wrong
cos atheism is not another religion but absense of religion.

tobechi20:

which life phenomenon are you refering to?

tobechi20:
Plz u can indicate their official website for me to know more.

once again atheism is not a religion or an organisation and they have no official website.

but for someone with christian background
these websites provides a lot of information that will benefit you and help you a great deal in recovering from the mental slavery called religion

http://ffrf.org/legacy/about/bybarker/#god
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/DebunkingChristians/Contents.htm
http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm

for someone with islamic background

http://www.apostatesofislam.com/
http://ex-muslim.org.uk/
http://www.faithfreedom.org/
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 11:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
Logic boy,

dat means atheist believe in anything that has proof, evidence,since God existence and other religious belief cant be prooven,so they dnt belief in God.ANY THING DAT CAN BE PROVEN WITH EVIDENCE WHETHER SCIENCE OR NOT.

Human ethics
Do human have ethics?
Plz xplain

no book, no rules?
U act by weighing d likely consequence of ur action.

E.g ure at home, ur dad is at home and d landlord comes to see daddy.daddy tels u 2 say he traveld.
U know its because of house rent.

What Wil u do using human ethics based on weighing effect
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 11:48pm On Jul 08, 2012
tobechi20: Logic boy,

dat means atheist believe in anything that has proof, evidence,since God existence and other religious belief cant be prooven,so they dnt belief in God.ANY THING DAT CAN BE PROVEN WITH EVIDENCE WHETHER SCIENCE OR NOT.

Human ethics
Do human have ethics?
Plz xplain

no book, no rules?
U act by weighing d likely consequence of ur action.

E.g ure at home, ur dad is at home and d landlord comes to see daddy.daddy tels u 2 say he traveld.
U know its because of house rent.

What Wil u do using human ethics based on weighing effect

(This is logicboys 2nd account)

Yes, humans get ethics from interactions with others and critical thinking. We dont need the bible or koran to know that we shouldnt kill anyhow. Common sense will tell you that if you kill someone, his relative or friend will want to kill you. Common sense will also tell you that you wouldnt want to be killed and so why kill someone. Best of all, common sense will tell you two heads are better than one, it is better to work together than kill and be alone.

As for the landlord and my pop, a lie would save me and my dad from being thrown out of the apartment or taken to police/court. The truth, while a good policy, makes everyone angry; the landlord catching a fraudulent tenant, my dad angry with me and me outside my apartment due to eviction. I will lie that dad is travelling
Re: Understanding Atheism by InesQor(m): 11:58pm On Jul 08, 2012
@logicboy01/Macdaddy01:

I became an atheist before I even knew about evolution.

Does this mean (please select all that apply):
(a) You became atheist before you studied biology in high school?
(b) You did not study biology in high school (or did not pay attention)?
(c) You are not yet in high school?
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 12:01am On Jul 09, 2012
@cyrexx, @logicboy01: put god aside, do you (or atheists) believe in supernatural powers or abilities?
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 12:10am On Jul 09, 2012
InesQor: @logicboy01/Macdaddy01:

Does this mean (please select all that apply):
(a) You became atheist before you studied biology in high school?
(b) You did not study biology in high school (or did not pay attention)?
(c) You are not yet in high school?

When did they start teaching evolution properly in Naija? Why do we like lying to ourselves?

In Nigeria, they just teach you; homo habilis, homo erctus, homo sapien. That is it for evolution. I went to the best secondary school in Lagos.
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 12:10am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz: @cyrexx, @logicboy01: put god aside, do you (or atheists) believe in supernatural powers or abilities?

Nope. No spiritual nonsense
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 12:15am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Nope. No spiritual nonsense

So, have you actaully investigated any claims of miracles attributed to our nigerian pastors like T.B Joshua, oyakhilome, etc or do you have any scientific or credible documents claiming to have investigated & debunked any recorded claims of miracles?
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 12:25am On Jul 09, 2012
Cyrex,

thks 4 d website. I just glancd at it. Later i wil go 2ru all.

U see atheism as freedom from religion.ure not told the TRUTH either 2ru a prophet or a book. HENCE NO BOOK,LAW, COMMANDMENT,PUNNISHMENT PERIODIC GATHERING etc HENCE IT IS NOT A RELIGION.

Atheist blive in what makes sence to them.they reason to assertain haw sensible or otherwise a claim is.they try to get d FACT themself.

IF ANY CLAIM COULD BE VERRIFIED, THEY ACCEPT AND BELIVE IT WHETHER IT IS SCIENTIFIC OR RELIGION.

So their DO and DONT depend on the individual.it is not general. One atheist can belive in God existence but contraly to religion belief while another atheist wont depending on what each think is logical.

QUESTIONS
How do atheist verify claims?.

NAME 3 SCIENTIFIC CLAIM THAT DIDNT MAKE SENSE TO U

NAME 3 RELIGIOUS(CHRISTIAN) CLAIM THAT MAKES SENCE TO YOU.
Individual reasoning vary depending on education,information etc. SO IF IN A PARTICULAR CLAIM, 2 ATHEIST DISAGREE, WHO IS RIGHT.

if scientist make a discovery that proves a claim right? Wil atheist make a U TURN from their initial belief?? Is it true that charler darwin was the ist atheist??

Does that mean atheist always change and might one day change to theist?

What is ur basics 4 measuring morality? Haw gud or bad is an action??
What atheist view about prostitution and gayism
§
Re: Understanding Atheism by InesQor(m): 12:26am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:

When did they start teaching evolution properly in Naija? Why do we like lying to ourselves?

In Nigeria, they just teach you; homo habilis, homo erctus, homo sapien. That is it for evolution. I went to the best secondary school in Lagos.
Lies? Not at all. For my Senior High school, I attended an underclass (VERY underclass) public high school in Nigeria, and I was taught about evolution in Biology in my late SS1 and into SS2.

Even if all you were taught was about the evolution of the homo genus, you can't double-back now and say you didn't KNOW about evolution wink

Just putting it out there.

Cheers
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 12:35am On Jul 09, 2012
cyrexx: there is no special thing about atheism as i am about to explain to you. if there is anything, its equivalent to emancipation from mental slavery, quoting Bob Marley.

religion has a very great and effective mind control mechanism that conditions your mind to believe some erroneous statements as the "truth" that you will never see for what they really are until you step out of religion.

I have no problem with you guys being atheists, but please learn to make proper logical arguments. The fact that you hold a logical position, and that since you are an atheist does not mean that the same logic does not hold with the religious folks. take your arguments above: Every discipline is a mental slavery, why? because every discipline forces your to think in particular way, to agree with one form logic & reject the other. Atheism is no different, since you have a set of values & criteria opon which you base your arguments & actions. it is mind control.
Re: Understanding Atheism by InesQor(m): 12:37am On Jul 09, 2012
Good point, okeyxyz

You reckon, all kinds of Logic are based on axioms.
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 12:50am On Jul 09, 2012
cyrexx: people always make this fallacious statement that atheists reject God.
this is far from the truth. which silly person will reject what you know as real and can be verified.
the reason why atheists can believe that God does not exist is because he is not real and cannot be verified objectively. there is no evidence that he exists any where in any universe

atheists don't have to believe in anything. they only believe what is real and true and makes sense to them .

Okay, if everything is about proof, I remember asking you(or logicboy, can't remember precisely) a question on some other thread which you failed to answer. I remind you: Can you proof to a third party that you love your wife? one can argue that love is the most subjective phenomenon in the universe, but somehow, you guys who are proponents of evidence & proof all profess and aspire to love. What is the definition of love? what is the tool to measure it? Since you can't proof love, does it mean love does not exist?
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 12:51am On Jul 09, 2012
Logic boy/mac donald
i tink its becoming clearer.

If a î7 year old poor gal get pregnant by a poorer boy. D best tin 4 evry body to b hapi is ABORTION.

GAYMARRIAGE IS OK AS FAR AS D COUPLE IS HAPI WHETHER OTHER MILLIONS ARE ANGRY OR NOT.

KILLING a bad president like ABACHA is permisable since if he was not killed, he was going to kill Obasanjo and others the next day..,.

Am i correct?
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 12:58am On Jul 09, 2012
InesQor:
Lies? Not at all. For my Senior High school, I attended an underclass (VERY underclass) public high school in Nigeria, and I was taught about evolution in Biology in my late SS1 and into SS2.

Even if all you were taught was about the evolution of the homo genus, you can't double-back now and say you didn't KNOW about evolution wink

Just putting it out there.

Cheers

lol.......we were taught the different jinds iof man but not the theory behind it. The theory of evolution. Jeez, I dont know why you want to play the smartazz detective. Anyone with common sense will understand what I meant
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:00am On Jul 09, 2012
@tobechi20, please try to write properly. this is a forum, not twitter. It makes reading & comprehension easier for everybody. you can write well, but you choose not to
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:06am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

Okay, if everything is about proof, I remember asking you(or logicboy, can't remember precisely) a question on some other thread which you failed to answer. I remind you: Can you proof to a third party that you love your wife? one can argue that love is the most subjective phenomenon in the universe, but somehow, you guys who are proponents of evidence & proof all profess and aspire to love. What is the definition of love? what is the tool to measure it? Since you can't proof love, does it mean love does not exist?

I must have debunked you on that thread. I have a Phd in religious debunkology.

Jokes apart, what kind of fool do you have to be to say that there is no proof for love? You are already saying that it is subjective- are you not acknowledging that it exists by saying it is subjective. A man that loves his wife will treat her specially and not cheat on her. Furthermore, couples in love do things together and have a decent communication between each other. We justify love with actions and there are different kinds of love.
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:13am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:
You are already saying that it is subjective- are you not acknowledging that it exists by saying it is subjective.

grin grin grin lwkmd...
I'm shocked you make this argument to justify the truth of love, but you use the same "subjective" argument to disqualify god, religion & morals. In fact, i'm beginning to doubt your atheistic claims o
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:16am On Jul 09, 2012
tobechi20: Logic boy/mac donald
i tink its becoming clearer.

If a î7 year old poor gal get pregnant by a poorer boy. D best tin 4 evry body to b hapi is ABORTION.

GAYMARRIAGE IS OK AS FAR AS D COUPLE IS HAPI WHETHER OTHER MILLIONS ARE ANGRY OR NOT.

KILLING a bad president like ABACHA is permisable since if he was not killed, he was going to kill Obasanjo and others the next day..,.

Am i correct?

Sometimes, the questions religious people ask are quite annoying. The other guy was asking me how to prove that I love my wife that there is no proof for love.

look, morality is subjective. Yes, there are situations that are easy to categorize as pure evil (moral universalism eg murdering an innocent guy) and some that are grey areas that can not be easily categorized. For the grey areas, we use pros and cons.

A gay man is not bothering you. If you dont like gay marriage, dont marry a gay. Simple. The gay marriage has no effect on your life. Incest has a direct consequence of abuse within families and creation of mutant slowpokes in the society.

Abortion is a woman's choice. Not yours to decide for her. eople like you do not realise that

a) If the woman gives birth to the child, religious people like you wont do anything to support the child. This is what religious people like to see;

[img]http://tcdh.files./2011/09/vulture_waiting_for_the_child_to_die.jpg[/img]

b) A fertilized egg is not yet a human being.
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:18am On Jul 09, 2012
macdaddy01: A man that loves his wife will treat her specially and not cheat on her. Furthermore, couples in love do things together and have a decent communication between each other. We justify love with actions and there are different kinds of love.

So, any man who cheats does not love his wife ehh? And any couple "does things together and have a decent communication between each other" is proof of love?? so, it's not possible there could be some other underlying reason? or they could be pretending? mehn, your logic is simply incredible!!
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:20am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

grin grin grin lwkmd...
I'm shocked you make this argument to justify the truth of love, but you use the same "subjective" argument to disqualify god, religion & morals. In fact, i'm beginning to doubt your atheistic claims o

LMAO. God is non-existent not because of subjectivity but because there is no evidence for him.

Morality is subjective and that is why one religion can not legislate morality. One religion allows tattoos the other does not

Love is subjective and that is why one couple can not legislate on how another couple should love. Some couples love anal sex, some do not
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:25am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

So, any man who cheats does not love his wife ehh? And any couple "does things together and have a decent communication between each other" is proof of love?? so, it's not possible there could be some other underlying reason? or they could be pretending? mehn, your logic is simply incredible!!

How can you love your wife and cheat on her? Are you some kind of pervert or he-goat?

Yes, the moment you cheat on your wife, you have stopped loving her.

Love;

Doesnt cheat

includes open communication

includes spending time together.

Love is very fickle and it can fall apart. What we use to judge love are a period of time and the 3 things above.
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:28am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:

LMAO. God is non-existent not because of subjectivity but because there is no evidence for him.

Morality is subjective and that is why one religion can not legislate morality. One religion allows tattoos the other does not

Love is subjective and that is why one couple can not legislate on how another couple should love. Some couples love anal sex, some do not

you summon subjectivity when it suits you and reject it when it does not. why can't you accept that my god exists because you see me worship him & conduct myself according to his doctrine? why is my subjective behaviour not evidence enough for to at least consider the possiblity of a god, and that you are not in a position to say there is no good simply because you don't understand him?

1 Like

Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:34am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

you summon subjectivity when it suits you and reject it when it does not. why can't you accept that my god exists because you see me worship him & conduct myself according to his doctrine? why is my subjective behaviour not evidence enough for to at least consider the possiblity of a god, and that you are not in a position to say there is no good simply because you don't understand him?

Your behaviour is not evidence for God. There is enough evidence in the realms of psychology to show that your behavior is that of a brainwashed person. grin grin grin

Read about Pavlovian conditioning and how you have been conditioned to associate good with Jesus and christianity.

Wow, I just keep debunking you!
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:35am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:
How can you love your wife and cheat on her? Are you some kind of pervert or he-goat?

Yes, the moment you cheat on your wife, you have stopped loving her.

Love;

Doesnt cheat

includes open communication

includes spending time together.

Love is very fickle and it can fall apart. What we use to judge love are a period of time and the 3 things above.

do you see that you have simply made rubbish of all your "subjective" arguments? because you would not cheat on your wife, therefore any man who cheats does not love his wife? why don't you consider the "subjective" idea that he loves his wife but seeks sexual entertainment elsewhere? why must your own values overrule another man's? two seconds ago you where brandishing subjectivity in support of other people living their lives the way they fancy
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:40am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

do you see that you have simply made rubbish of all your "subjective" arguments? because you would not cheat on your wife, therefore any man who cheats does not love his wife? why don't you consider the "subjective" idea that he loves his wife but seeks sexual entertainment elsewhere? why must your own values overrule another man's? two seconds ago you where brandishing subjectivity in support of other people living their lives the way they fancy

Wrong. Cheating is subjective itself. Cheating is whatever the husband and wife deem it to be together. If the husband and wife agree to accept to have threeesomes once in a while, that could be love.

Am i too much for you?
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:41am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Your behaviour is not evidence for God. There is enough evidence in the realms of psychology to show that your behavior is that of a brainwashed person. grin grin grin

so how's a "brainwashed" person different from a person "in love"?
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:44am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

so how's a "brainwashed" person different from a person "in love"?

Depends on the kind of love;

-infatuation
-mutual love
-platonic love
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:45am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Wrong. Cheating is subjective itself. Cheating is whatever the husband and wife deem it to be together. If the husband and wife agree to accept to have threeesomes once in a while, that could be love.

How can you say absolutely that a man who cheats does not love his wife? by the way is this scientific? is this psychology? where's the evidence or research document stating that a man who cheats does not love his wife?
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 1:51am On Jul 09, 2012
your arguments are just not consistent, not reliable, not strong. your positions on love, evidence, subjectivity, god and atheism just crumbles naturally.

(1) (2) (Reply)

600+ Jehovah's Witnesses Jailed For Refusing Military Service In South Korea / Is It Wrong To Question The Existence Of God / Should A Bornagain Christian Name Their Child Oriki Such As 'ashabi, Ajani'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.