Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,923 members, 7,909,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 04:21 AM

Understanding Atheism - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding Atheism (1564 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:59am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

How can you say absolutely that a man who cheats does not love his wife? by the way is this scientific? is this psychology? where's the evidence or research document stating that a man who cheats does not love his wife?

You have a contract with someone. You breach the contract. Are you a good partner?

You and your wife have a relationship based on some oral and written agreements. You cheat on her. Are you a good lover? Do you love your wife?
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 2:00am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz: your arguments are just not consistent, not reliable, not strong. your positions on love, evidence, subjectivity, god and atheism just crumbles naturally.

Why are my arguments not consistent or unreliable? Is it because I always answer your questions and debunk you? grin grin grin
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 2:04am On Jul 09, 2012
MacDaddy01:
You have a contract with someone. You breach the contract. Are you a good partner?

You and your wife have a relationship based on some oral and written agreements. You cheat on her. Are you a good lover? Do you love your wife?

in other words, If i'm married to somebody, then I love that person? Is it not possible that i'm simply waiting(and praying) for him to die so I can inherit his/her wealth? you see how quickly your logic evaporates? grin
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 2:21am On Jul 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

in other words, If i'm married to somebody, then I love that person? Is it not possible that i'm simply waiting(and praying) for him to die so I can inherit his/her wealth? you see how quickly your logic evaporates? grin

Of course, where did I say that marriage = love?

You see your problem? When you get debunked, you throw strawmen like an escape tactic.
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 7:04am On Jul 09, 2012
Think am clear on that.

That means atheism has no book or commandment, then ones actions depends on d situation and the individual.:
the individual reasoning partialy depends on his education and exposure.
Hence a ten year old who has not reach the age of reasoning cannot be an atheist.

Løoking at evidence, must everything be prooved b4 we belive.is seeing an evidence??

DREAMS

lets assume that you dream. But there is no evidence to show that.no scientific or otherwise explanation. SO SHOULD you BELIVE THAT DREAMS ARE NOT REAL

YOU SEE GHOST, MANY HAVE SEEN GHOST, but there is no evidence or proof of GHOST existence. SO I SHOULDN'T BELIVE IN GHOST EXISTENCE??
Re: Understanding Atheism by dekung(m): 8:12am On Jul 09, 2012
tobechi20: Think am clear on that.

That means atheism has no book or commandment, then ones actions depends on d situation and the individual.:
Hence a ten year old who has not reach the age of reasoning cannot be an atheist.

Løoking at evidence, must everything be prooved b4 we belive.is seeing an evidence??

DREAMS

lets assume that you dream. But there is no evidence to show that.no scientific or otherwise explanation. SO SHOULD you BELIVE THAT DREAMS ARE NOT REAL

YOU SEE GHOST, MANY HAVE SEEN GHOST, but there is no evidence or proof of GHOST existence. SO I SHOULDN'T BELIVE IN GHOST EXISTENCE??
Newton first law of motion states 'Every body continues in it state of rest or uniform motion unless compelled by an external force to act otherwise'. This statement holds true universally, even as far as religious beliefs are concerned. Every child is born atheist/agnost and would continue in that line unless compelled by his/her parents or society to believe otherwise therefore a ten year old who has not be exposed to any religious teaching would most likely not believe in God.
Your question about Darwin being the forst atheist is NOT true as there have always been athiests for as long as human have been in existence.
DREAMS are intangible thoughts in your mind. They are a product of your life experiences twisted together in your subconscious mind and they occur just when you are close to waking up (REM period)
GHOSTs are just a figment of someone's imagination. The question I would point to you is have you seen a ghost before?
Re: Understanding Atheism by tunapawizzy: 10:57am On Jul 09, 2012
As much as I respect atheists and their positions, I still find it hard to understand some things. What are atheists position on devil and death(especiallywhy we all av to die and life after death). Much has been said about how atheism is not a religion but a belief based on proven facts. Now I ask u will the world end someday and give proven facts for ur answers.
Re: Understanding Atheism by Delafruita(m): 11:55am On Jul 09, 2012
tobechi20: Think am clear on that.

DREAMS

dreams are real.so real that you sometime wake up sweating profusely.to better understand the psychology behind dreams,you need to do some studying.however for the purpose of this thread,i'd make some analogies:we humans are emotional creatures.every single aspect of our lives are ruled by emotions.in our state of consciousness,we attempt to suppress those emotions which vary from fear,hunger,pain,joy,anger,frustration,ehiliration etc.in our unconscious state i.e. REM phase,the guards of the mind are suppressed and these emotions flow rapidly which accounts for the rapid eye movement.now you need to understand that the mind is the most creative part of our being,from it comes everything that makes up our thoughts and attitude,we then choose which ones to transform into action.when the suppressors of the mind goes down,all these emotions play out as dreams based on the creativity of the mind to create scenarios.its just the same as when you daydream,just that in the case of a daydream you actively formulate the images and scenarios.
scientists have been able to work around the mind suppressors which has led to production of drugs like sodium amytal which is used to extract information.some drugs even create the feel of drowning or burning or even been nailed to a plank hence these drugs can manufacutre dreams hence breaking the myth of dreams been "unexplainable"
Re: Understanding Atheism by brainpulse: 12:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
dekung:
Newton first law of motion states 'Every body continues in it state of rest or uniform motion unless compelled by an external force to act otherwise'. This statement holds true universally, even as far as religious beliefs are concerned. Every child is born atheist/agnost and would continue in that line unless compelled by his/her parents or society to believe otherwise therefore a ten year old who has not be exposed to any religious teaching would most likely not believe in God.
Your question about Darwin being the forst atheist is NOT true as there have always been athiests for as long as human have been in existence.
DREAMS are intangible thoughts in your mind. They are a product of your life experiences twisted together in your subconscious mind and they occur just when you are close to waking up (REM period)
GHOSTs are just a figment of someone's imagination. The question I would point to you is have you seen a ghost before?

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist[b]
dekung:

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist[/b]
dekung:

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist
Re: Understanding Atheism by brainpulse: 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2012
Delafruita:

dreams are real.so real that you sometime wake up sweating profusely.to better understand the psychology behind dreams,you need to do some studying.however for the purpose of this thread,i'd make some analogies:we humans are emotional creatures.every single aspect of our lives are ruled by emotions.in our state of consciousness,we attempt to suppress those emotions which vary from fear,hunger,pain,joy,anger,frustration,ehiliration etc.in our unconscious state i.e. REM phase,the guards of the mind are suppressed and these emotions flow rapidly which accounts for the rapid eye movement.now you need to understand that the mind is the most creative part of our being,from it comes everything that makes up our thoughts and attitude,we then choose which ones to transform into action.when the suppressors of the mind goes down,all these emotions play out as dreams based on the creativity of the mind to create scenarios.its just the same as when you daydream,just that in the case of a daydream you actively formulate the images and scenarios.
scientists have been able to work around the mind suppressors which has led to production of drugs like sodium amytal which is used to extract information.some drugs even create the feel of drowning or burning or even been nailed to a plank hence these drugs can manufacutre dreams hence breaking the myth of dreams been "unexplainable"

PLease stop telling lies, its quite possible that the room is poorly ventilated. You equate dreams to thought? that is bad
Re: Understanding Atheism by Delafruita(m): 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2012
brainpulse:

PLease stop telling lies, its quite possible that the room is poorly ventilated. You equate dreams to thought? that is bad
the fact that you have never dreamt before doesnt mean people dont have dreams.
Re: Understanding Atheism by MacDaddy01: 1:29pm On Jul 09, 2012
brainpulse:

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist[b]

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist[/b]

I dont believe in dreams also because I have not dreamt before. Please proof that dreams exist

Everyone dreams. Fact. People sometimes forget their dreams.
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2012
WITH ALL APPOLOGY, YOU CHRISTIANS ARE NÖT HELPING MATTERS.THIS TOPIC IS NOT TO ARGUE WITH ATHEIST OR SHOW THEM THEIR FLOWS OR TO PROOVE HOW WRONG OR RIGHT THEY ARE.

INSTEAD, I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THEIR BELIEF,WHAT MAKES THEM ACT THE WAY THEY DO,WHY, ETC
IN A VIEW TO UNDERSTAND OUR VARIOUS DIFFRENCES.
Re: Understanding Atheism by okeyxyz(m): 3:56pm On Jul 09, 2012
tobechi20: WITH ALL APPOLOGY, YOU CHRISTIANS ARE NÖT HELPING MATTERS.THIS TOPIC IS NOT TO ARGUE WITH ATHEIST OR SHOW THEM THEIR FLOWS OR TO PROOVE HOW WRONG OR RIGHT THEY ARE.

INSTEAD, I WANT TO UNDERSTAND THEIR BELIEF,WHAT MAKES THEM ACT THE WAY THEY DO,WHY, ETC
IN A VIEW TO UNDERSTAND OUR VARIOUS DIFFRENCES.

While asking what atheists believe and their value systems, you must also critically query their claims to be sure that what they profess are uniquely atheist beliefs, rather than mixing and matching doctrines from different philosophies and claiming them to be atheist's.
Re: Understanding Atheism by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2012
Re: Understanding Atheism by dekung(m): 5:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
brainpulse:

I'm not sure I said anywhere that dreams exist. I only tried to explain how it comes about. Dreams can be grouped in the same category as thought only that dreams come in during sleep. I used to be scared of my dreams too until I understood it is just a bye product of experiences and imagination.
Re: Understanding Atheism by tobechi20(m): 7:27pm On Jul 09, 2012
FROM ALL THESE POST, I HAVE MADE UP THE FOLLOWING CONCLUSION.

Atheism is not a religion

atheism is freedom from religion.

Atheism dont belive in any LAID DOWN TRUTH from any prophet or book

Atheism seek for the truth themself.

Atheism verify claims searching for evidence and prooving such claims.

Atheism has no grieviance against GOD.

The existence of God, like ghost,resurrection etc arent verified so ATHEIST DONT BELIVE IN THEM.

Atheist mode of ethics depend on the would be consequence of their action.

Hence,certain general condition e.g killing, lying etc could be permiseable under
certain circumstance.

Atheist belief depend ön verificatiön of claims by the individual.SEEK THE TRUTH YOURSELF.

Hence, atheist belief vary with individual.

One atheist could belive in a claim, while another atheist could bluff that same claim.
Re: Understanding Atheism by cyrexx: 8:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
tobechi20: FROM ALL THESE POST, I HAVE MADE UP THE FOLLOWING CONCLUSION.

Atheism is not a religion

atheism is freedom from religion.

Atheism dont belive in any LAID DOWN TRUTH from any prophet or book

Atheism seek for the truth themself.

Atheism verify claims searching for evidence and prooving such claims.

Atheism has no grieviance against GOD.

The existence of God, like ghost,resurrection etc arent verified so ATHEIST DONT BELIVE IN THEM.

Atheist mode of ethics depend on the would be consequence of their action.

Hence,certain general condition e.g killing, lying etc could be permiseable under
certain circumstance.

Atheist belief depend ön verificatiön of claims by the individual.SEEK THE TRUTH YOURSELF.

Hence, atheist belief vary with individual.

One atheist could belive in a claim, while another atheist could bluff that same claim.

YOU ARE VERY VERY CORRECT!!!
NICE THINKING, BRO

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do We Sin Every Day? / Is Monetary Redemption Of First Born Biblical? / Atheism 101: A Guide For New Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.