Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,692 members, 7,882,336 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 10:21 PM

CFA Candidates In The House - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CFA Candidates In The House (215521 Views)

Cis Candidates In The House / Cfa Vs Acca Which Is Harder / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (76) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 11:40pm On May 13, 2009
Hey guys,

just new to the forum and plan to write level 1 dec09.

just got my study pack from CFA and was wondering the advantage other notes like stalla and shweser have over the CFA study notes.

I'v been studying the CFA study pack n it seems its more informative and interactive than the schweser material i got.

i'll really appreciate any info i should hv to prepare well 4 d exam. OWO O GBODO JONO!!!!!!!!

thnx grin
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 9:54am On May 14, 2009
The CFa texts contains too much information and you might get lost in the details. What you need is a study pack that will keep you focused on the LOS so Stalla or Schewser is better.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 5:11pm On May 15, 2009
I have most of the materials listed and i am ready to give them out for FREE. Holla me if u need anything
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 5:45pm On May 15, 2009
loweee where u hide face since. how preparation for level 2 logjam smiley
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bechex(m): 11:28am On May 16, 2009
Hi guys, its less than three weeks to Exam, and i am sure preparations are in full swing.

Sure some of us are wondering about accomodation issues. especially for those of us that will be visiting Ghana for the first time.

Well I have been talking to the management of the hotel i stayed at while i was in ghana last year and they are willing to maka rooms available at a subsidised rate if i could guarantee a certain no of guest would be staying over at their hotel. The hotel is a cossy a serene place and approximately a 5 to 8 min drive from the centre (Zenith College)

so if there's anyone who is having issues with accomodation, u can holla at me ASAP. via my e-mail, bechexsnrx@yahoo.com i will def get back within 24 hours with all the details u would require.

I intend to be in Ghana between Wed 03 09 to Sun 07 09. I would also advise that u book ur flights in advance as the rates are changing on a daily basis especially for Sunday return ytickets which the airlines seem to have realised is hot cake.

wish u all the best as we put finishing touches to our preps.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 4:06pm On May 17, 2009
thnx for ur responses
lowee i'm interested in the materials u have, ou do i get thru to u ??
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by loisdienmi: 9:53pm On May 20, 2009
if u wanna get me is tru , loisdienmi@yahoo.com or 07025989741
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 07, 2009
hello all,

just registered for level 1 dec '09 exams, n have yet to receive my study materials from the institute. my first knowledge of materials like schweser et al, came from following up on this thread. are those generally better than what the institute sends?are there any reliable lecture centres around?

please respond.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ADEIFEOLUW: 8:21pm On Jun 07, 2009
Guys,

Ow was Saturday's paper? Op nice. All the same, give us a hint. All the best.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2009
@ lowee

went thr much older posts on this thread n must commend ur dedication. i'm pretty new here as mentioned earlier n thrs so much info i need. whilst i await readin materials against dec l1 exams, havin jst registered last week, i'l b glad 4 any material u can make available. how can u b reached?pls respond ASAP,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 8:57am On Jun 08, 2009
guys,
ou was saturday?? hope it went well? any hints for us preparing for dec lvl 1??
Lowee, i'm yet to here from u about the materials u said u could give.
lvly week to u all
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2009
Exam was very hard . . .
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by hotsizl: 2:33am On Jun 09, 2009
wasn't easy at all, God dey sha.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 09, 2009
@ delcfa, look up old posts, retrieve Lowee's no n place a call. worked 4 me.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:29pm On Jun 09, 2009
hey people, how was saturday, i sorta feel you sha. i plan to write June 2010 sha so im just tryna get myself into the groove. what should my first step be (other than some serious prayer) grin grin grin
i think im discouraged by the CFAI, dont know which to choose between stallar and schwser.
also financial constraints are the order of the current day so any hope for secondhand study material? dont know how this can work as i wanna write june, they say the sylabus changes every year,  undecided
also -pls bear with me!- can i write june in Ghana. going to all the way to the uk will just be unnecessary added costs.
will realyy appreciate accurate answers, thanks a bunch
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 10:00am On Jun 10, 2009
sexyme,
i can only retrievelowees email add and i hv sent a message but not response yet.
can u be of any help as pa what materials u have.

Tolulop001,
u can write the june exam in ghana and u have the chance to register early and save some dollars.
although i'm not sure of how often the curriculum changes, u might have to get materials different from that of 2009 for 20010 so u might have to invest more in the materials although copy of materials will always be available.
be good and nice day
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 10:29am On Jun 10, 2009
guys,
ou reliabale is elitebooks.net,
can d site be trusted for payment via credit cards??
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 10, 2009
@delcfa, here's Lowee's no - 08036026754, he had it stated on/in an earlier post, he's probably away 4rm d site,hving jst written L2. Neeways, hvn't received my study pack from d institute yet, n making do wit Schweser notes and video lectures (that i purchased - Lowee's giving his out for free though, but i was impatient!). Begun reading on Monday n just rounded up Study Session 1 with those materials.

From what I hear, the schweser study notes are a less detailed than the CFA study pack but every line counts. Its also easy to get 'lost' in the details that d CFA study pack contains (also hearsay, v yet to verify). If you've got the time, you can make copies of my own 'copied' schweser notes, or call Lowee right away n grab his! Best of luck wit d studies,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 10:23am On Jun 11, 2009
sexyme,

thnx i was able to talk with him yestaday. i have the schweser notes but i'm tryin to concentrate on the CFA materials.
though its voluminous, i feel it will help me have a general view b4 drilling into using the schweser materials.
how do i get the videos u have??

who has used elitebooks.net is it reliable?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by tkb417(m): 11:54am On Jun 11, 2009
hey guys
how is it going?

hope u guys especially those in Lagos were able to catch u with the CFA guys in town
a lotta questions and answers were given as per the exam, possible option of having exam centers in Nigeria, grading and all sorts
it was really an enlightening session yesterday evening

I think the few charterholders we have are meeting with them right now and i think its really good we are marching forward in this our investment biz

its gud to know we are about having the society of investment professionals in Nigeria prelude to having our own CFA society in Nigeria

for those who wrote the exams last week, how was it?
wish you the best

cheers
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 3:31am On Jun 13, 2009
@ delcfa
thanks o! whats this about free material? im thinking i could start reading with 2009 material then get my own material like Jan 2010, pls whats the hook up with lowee? cheesy hi lowee cheesy
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Snogg: 9:57am On Jun 20, 2009
Hi every one in the house,
I am just new in the house,
I have being following the threats for about 2yrs now. I have always wish do the CFA programme and now i think the time is right, that is why i decided to join the house. I am presently in Sweden doing my Master in Accounting and i also hold my BSc in Accounitng. I wish to sit in for the June 2010 level 1 exam.
I really wish to know the differences in opportunities between a CFA holder and an ACCA holder, that is, which is have more opportunities in the job market.
I am really thinking if i have a good foundation for the CFA with my BSc and MSc in Accounting.
I will be very grateful if somebody answer my questions
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 11:41am On Jun 20, 2009
With your Accounting background you will have no problem with about 40% of the level 1 exam.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Snogg: 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2009
Thanks very much for the reply, i now know i am on track. So for those of us preparing for the June 2010 session, any advice
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 8:07pm On Jun 20, 2009
x
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by delcfa: 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2009
sexyme,
biko can u share the videos u have wit me
thnx wink
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Oludamil(m): 10:43am On Jun 22, 2009
Guys, i really wanna write CFA level one this december '09, yes, i've made lots of enquiries online but find it really hard to get a good tuition centre i could attend weekends to assist me in preparation,
i help from y'al, damilola.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Oludamil(m): 11:17am On Jun 22, 2009
i think it'd be better i do level 1 june next year @ SA, i may just get a snapshot with Messi (of course after d exam, grin)
Pls guys, recommend tuition centre to me, lowee, d materials u promised 4 free, is it 4 real? I'd give u a call oo,
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 10:43pm On Jun 26, 2009
Get all u need to prepare for CFA level I Dec 09,level II and III June 2010 at a deep discount.Call 08039307507.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bakre(m): 10:54pm On Jun 26, 2009
Tips for Taking the Level I Multiple Choice Exams

About the Level I Questions

The Level I exams will include 240 total multiple choice questions, 120 on the morning session of the exam and 120 on the afternoon session. Each multiple choice question is free-standing (not dependent on other questions) and has three possible answers: A, B, and C. All questions are equally weighted and there is no penalty for guessing. Here are some ideas that may help you while you are taking the Level I multiple choice exam:

Carefully manage your time. Don’t spend too much time on any one question or topic area. On average, you should allocate 1.5 minutes to each multiple choice question, including time to record your answer on the answer sheet.
Read the questions carefully. A careless “skimming” of the question may lead you to a completely different, and incorrect, answer.
Read each item carefully and eliminate obviously incorrect answers. If you have to guess and you can eliminate one of the responses, your odds of answering the question correctly are much higher. There is no penalty for guessing.
No individual has ever received a perfect score on any level of the CFA exam. Even though it is not by design, you should expect to encounter questions that you will not be able to answer correctly. There is a great deal of material to master and exam questions are challenging. Standard setters (at Levels I and II) and the Board of Governors (at all three levels) take account of exam difficulty in setting Minimum Passing Scores. For a full description of how the MPS is established, see Into our 5th decade (PDF).
Examination writers use a standard set of formatting conventions on the selected response questions (multiple choice items on Level I and item set items on Levels II and III). Many sample exams produced by third parties do not follow these conventions, so you should review the CFA Institute format presented here:

Formatting Conventions Used for Level I Exams

Item Construction

Each item on the Level I multiple choice and Levels II and III item sets consists of a stem (question, statement, and/or table) and three choices, A, B, and C. There are two basic formats used:

1. Stems using sentence completion with three unique choices

2. Stems phrased as questions with three unique choices

Example 1 (Stem using sentence completion)

An analyst suspects that a particular company’s U.S. GAAP financial statements may require adjustment because the company uses take-or-pay contracts. The most likely effect of the appropriate adjustments would be to increase that company’s

A. return on assets.

B. debt-to-equity ratio.

C. interest coverage ratio.

Example 2 (Stem phrased as question)

An analyst suspects that a particular company’s U.S. GAAP financial statements may require adjustment because the company uses take-or-pay contracts. Which of the following is most likely to increase as a result of the appropriate adjustments being made to that company’s financial statements?

A. Return on assets.

B. Debt-to-equity ratio.

C. Interest coverage ratio.

Item Stems

The Level I CFA exam does not use EXCEPT, TRUE, or FALSE in item stems and avoids the use of NOT in item stems whenever possible. When appropriate, stems will include one of the following qualifiers: most likely, least likely, best described, most appropriate, most accurate, least appropriate, or least accurate. Each stem supports only one item on the exam.

Choices

The Level I CFA exam does not use any of the following choices: all of the above, none of the above, I and II only, II and III only, cannot determine, cannot calculate, or not enough information to determine.

Choices consisting of words or sentences are typically ordered from shortest to longest; choices that are quantitative are ordered from the smallest number to largest number. The choices agree grammatically with the stem; language common to all choices is placed in the stem

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2009
hey bakre
pls do you have materials for June 2010 step 1?
or
can i make do with 2009 material and then read up whatever modifications there are to the sylabus?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lowee231: 12:29pm On Jul 02, 2009
Hiya Mates,
How are the preparations going?
For the people that need the CFA level 1 materials are u ready to make photocopies?
Candylips how did ur exams go? For me the muther was effing hard

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (76) (Reply)

Total Oil And Gas Workers / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.