Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,151 members, 7,890,879 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 10:49 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310495 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 11:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
please can someone who is in usa with a visiting visa apply for school in states and change his status from visiting visa to student visa without coming back to nigeria..please help needed here abegoooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 11:58pm On Aug 02, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Sent.

I'm so sorry, I just received a MAILER-DAEMON mail delivery failure notice and I looked closer and noticed your email is gmail. This failure problem is common with gmail. Send your yahoo account if you have any.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 12:07am On Aug 03, 2012
ik.swiss:
please can someone who is in usa with a visiting visa apply for school in states and change his status from visiting visa to student visa without coming back to nigeria..please help needed here abegoooo

Fa, fa, fa, foul!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 12:07am On Aug 03, 2012
ik.swiss:

Came across this page: http://mistero.tripod.com/B2probs.html

Advice for B1/B2 Visa-Holders

It often happens that visitors to the United States (B1/B2 visa-holders) decide that they want to become college students (F1 visa-holders). While it is possible to make such a change of visa category, there are disadvantages to such a change. So before explaining how to apply for such a change, I will review these disadvantages.

Disadvantages

In most cases it will take about three or four months to gain approval for a change for B1/B2 to F1. In some cases it takes even longer. Nearly always a six-month visitor's visa will expire while you are waiting for INS to approve the change, thus leaving you without a valid visa for re-entering the US should you have to leave the country while waiting for the change to be approved.
Even after INS approves the change, you are still left without a valid visa. After approval you will be legally present in the US as a student; but if you leave the US, you will have to obtain a new visa in order to re-enter this country. And there is no guarantee that officials at consular offices and embassies will agree to issue the new visa.
While waiting for INS to approve the visa category change, you will remain in B1/B2 visitor's status. There is no possibility of getting employment authorization or a Social Security number while you are in B1/B2 status. Since many states in the US will not issue a driver's license to persons without Social Security numbers, you may run into transportation difficulties.
In order to gain approval of a change from B2 visitor status to F1 student, your application will have to convince INS officials that you did not enter the US on a visitor's visa because you could not, or thought you could not, obtain a student visa.
If you apply for a change from B2 to F1 very soon after arriving in the US, INS officials will probably deny your application. INS considers that a rapid change from visitor's status to student status is evidence that you misrepresented your purpose for coming to the US and that you should leave the country and apply for a student visa in the normal manner.

Nevertheless, many changes from B2 to F1 are actually approved by INS. The form that you will need to use is called I-539. So, if you want to try to obtain approval for such a change, here is the recommended procedure.

I-539 Application Process

About 30 days before the departure date indicated on your I-94 departure card, you should visit the school you are trying to join and discuss admissions requirements with the international student advisor at that school. If you can satisfy that school's admission requirements, you will be issued an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility.
If you receive an I-20 from the school, you should then request form I-539 and complete that form, and attach to it a $120 processing fee, and supporting documentation. (The international student advisor will tell you what that supporting documentation should include -- copies of passport, I-94, visa, cover letter, etc.)
You then mail your application and your new I-20, the $120 fee, and all the supporting materials to the appropriate INS regional document processing center. It will take from 90 to 120 days for INS to make a ruling on your application.

My opinion is that if you want to utilize this route, you may a need a tourist visa of at least like 6 months, to accommodate all the delays.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 12:09am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

I'm so sorry, I just received a MAILER-DAEMON mail delivery failure notice and I looked closer and noticed your email is gmail. This failure problem is common with gmail. Send your yahoo account if you have any.

Thanks biggy, I always say it. Gmail won't accept delivery of program file through attachment.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 12:09am On Aug 03, 2012
@Imperioux

Nnukwu oga m, how far? Longest time. Hows studies going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by poopppyLiillyy: 12:13am On Aug 03, 2012
kpolli:

So from ur point of view u were denied cos ur sponsor is a brother who doesn't share the same surname wiv u. . . What documents did u take from ur sponsor?

Then going forward, maybe u shud take evidence of ur relationship with him. . . Maybe like both of you's birth certificates(IMHO).

I dnt av all those docs o....and didn't hold such for the interview,all I had then was d statement and my bro office ID card and a guarrÀnttee letter....mayb will try get them if I will be going for the 2nd interview.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by poopppyLiillyy: 12:16am On Aug 03, 2012
I av a problem o....can I call someone my uncle from mum side when he isn't avn d same maiden/surname with my mum....or how and what will make somone qualify to be called an UNCLE?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 12:19am On Aug 03, 2012
Ok thanks but i will also go to my school and demand for the transcript.
kpolli:

huh?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 12:36am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21: @Imperioux

Nnukwu oga m, how far? Longest time. Hows studies going?

Study is fine, fine stressful but we no dey let studies see deuce too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 12:38am On Aug 03, 2012
Lols. Men, keep focusing on. I know you are focused sha. wink What time is it over there now?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Leripa(m): 12:55am On Aug 03, 2012
@bigfrancis21: kindly send toefl, gre and gmat materials to me please. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by zacky006: 1:02am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

All Sent.

Pls the SAT and GMAT no file was attached, can you pls help re-send those two.
thankz. my E-mail: zackyzacky006@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dammy1102(m): 1:59am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Okay. Good. Are you in the US currently?

Bigfrancis21, Yes i am in US 10months and 16days and still counting.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 2:02am On Aug 03, 2012
dammy1102:

Bigfrancis21, Yes i am in US 10months and 16days and still counting.

Okay. Cool.

zacky006:

Pls the SAT and GMAT no file was attached, can you pls help re-send those two.
thankz. my E-mail: zackyzacky006@yahoo.com

The files were attached correctly. Checked again. I resent them again anyway.

Leripa: @bigfrancis21: kindly send toefl, gre and gmat materials to me please. Thanks.

Sent.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 2:45am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Relating to us your experience would help you and us a lot as we here would be able to point out the mistakes made, if any, in order avoid making them again.

Pleas sorry, how did you Answer the VO? Please share your full experience and not one or two line let us know how the conversation went
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 2:47am On Aug 03, 2012
poopppyLiillyy: cryI can't really remember again how it went cos nw am even too depress to recall anything .....but I can remember d first thing he asked is "STATE YOUR CASE"....and I was really flowing ...but all changed When he saw my act statement avn a diff name from mine(my bro,whose mum married my Dad after his Dad died and I was born)...but he wasn't convinced and he denied me....I dnt knw what next nw cos am too resume 27th.....Anyhow sha....Hmmmmm

Please prepare for spring and try to re-arrange your self
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 4:23am On Aug 03, 2012
ik.swiss:

Its possible depending on how long it takes the uscis to approve ur application but at the same time itts all depends on the time left for ur visa to expire. But for me its best to go back home and apply like next spring and am so sure of 90 Percent sure u will be granted a visa a student visa with travelling experience advantage but hope u have not overstayed?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Leripa(m): 4:51am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Okay. Cool.

Sent.
thank you very much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sndrmrtns: 6:43am On Aug 03, 2012
MY friend got his visa yesterday in Lagos embassy and i will share the experience soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 6:59am On Aug 03, 2012
My people gooday,am happy wit d good news am seeing here. Pls a quick one,dos d transit visa stuff still work for people tra ellin wit KLM,do de still need it? And hw do de go abt it. Tanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Paywole: 7:07am On Aug 03, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Okay. Cool.

Sent.
pls big francis kindly send me sat and toefl materials also. Here is. My mail paywole@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 03, 2012
God bless u real good and d oda person who also sent me a copy..
bigfrancis21:

Sent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by poopppyLiillyy: 8:38am On Aug 03, 2012
poopppyLiillyy: I av a problem o....can I call someone my uncle from mum side when he isn't avn d same maiden/surname with my mum....or how and what will make somone qualify to be called an UNCLE?

Can someone pls tell me what to do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 9:01am On Aug 03, 2012
sha_money: My people gooday,am happy wit d good news am seeing here. Pls a quick one,dos d transit visa stuff still work for people tra ellin wit KLM,do de still need it? And hw do de go abt it. Tanx

Pls my people abeg help me with info on dis. I need it asap.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Papa50000: 9:01am On Aug 03, 2012
I arrived the US yesterday. The officer at the US port of entry asked me how much money I am with, how many bags I checked in and if I am excited coming to he US to study? lol. Before nko?

Cheers guys.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 9:04am On Aug 03, 2012
poopppyLiillyy:

Can someone pls tell me what to do?

I tink u can call him ur uncle cos ur mumz cousin can pass for ur uncle too. Datz my own opinion don't know aabt others.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ekundayomi: 9:04am On Aug 03, 2012
Who has a contact for toefl...edan ooo i no de available to write anything now .. as im in Ghana
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 9:06am On Aug 03, 2012
Papa50000: I arrived the US yesterday. The officer at the US port of entry asked me how much money I am with, how many bags I checked in and if I am excited coming to he US to study? lol. Before nko?

Cheers guys.

Lol.. Before nko my broda. Happy for u,we ll join u soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Leripa(m): 9:10am On Aug 03, 2012
Papa50000: I arrived the US yesterday. The officer at the US port of entry asked me how much money I am with, how many bags I checked in and if I am excited coming to he US to study? lol. Before nko?

Cheers guys.
Nice one bro, enjoy ur stay. If i may ask, which state are u?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Papa50000: 9:12am On Aug 03, 2012
sha_money:

Lol.. Before nko my broda. Happy for u,we ll join u soon.
. Yes o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Papa50000: 9:12am On Aug 03, 2012
Leripa: Nice one bro, enjoy ur stay. If i may ask, which state are u?
Im in Massachusetts

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.