Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,926 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:39 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310505 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 9:11pm On Aug 18, 2012
Greetings to everyone ... I am still trying to settle here in the downtown of Chicago. Successgreat is greeting you guys too..Trying to settle at Hammond, Indianna....

I'm still learning but simple lessons I have learnt in just a week I spent in the United States:

1. To really enjoy your stay, bring down your school fees or Guarantee your Graduate Assitantship or Undergraduate Scholarship. Your Graduate Assistantship stipend will conveniently feed you, pay rent and utilities. If you are already into it without GA and no money, God will see you through.There are legal way out of this problem. Start thinking of transfer to a cheaper school or school that can Guarantee ur GA. GA is easy while you are here than from Nigeria. You might be called for interview and you will be there. So that you will never be out of status.

2. With your GA or any on campus job, you can easily get ur Sola Sola and eyes. Decode. If you don't have GA, quickly look for on campus job. Even if you have all the millions, just get those two stuffs. Lots of advantages are attach to them that will make your stay smooth.

3. Contribute in class and do some extra curricular activities if time permits.

4. In case you are not bouyant, patronize thrift store.There are lots of thrift stores around you. I just got a reading table at a very ridiculous price. Thrift store is a store where people donate things. You can donate too. They will sell these things at small prices and give the money realize to motherless babies' home, Disable, etc.Google for the nearest thrift store around you.

5. Make craigslist.com your friend. Somebody around you might want to sell stuffs that will be useful to you at ridiculous prices, why not take advantage. I just sealed a deal for an office chair yesterday. The person selling is very close to my residence.

6. Look for promo online. Or wait till promo time to buy some things. A friend here just took advantage Verizon promo to buy Galaxy for 50dollars (One month unlimited payment inclusive). Just be looking out for promo. Companies here do promote a lot when they have achieved their target for the year on time.Even Air ticket could be very cheap at promo time.

I'm still learning..I will always update any latest thing I learn for the benefit of Nairalanders who have invested in me.I love you all.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 9:38pm On Aug 18, 2012
7. Another thing I learnt about phone here. I was surprised they charge both ways..receiver and caller. So, if you can afford unlimited of T-mobile, boostmobile, etc. It will really pay compare to buying minutes. I think most of them are 50dollars/month (unlimited call, data, and SMS within USA). For International call, there are lots of services online. I use www.localphone.com. 5dollars will give you about 80mins to Nigeria line. Try to skype too.

8. Watch what you eat. America has the highest rate of cancer. All because of burger, 7-layer burrito, ice cream, and those junks. Don't try to feel among when you know some things can compromise your health. Coffee is not good cos of Caffeine. I will talk more about this later.

9. Don't downgrade your Country. If you can afford schooling in America, your father is rich too. Those white cant pay the fees you are paying.We had a discussion in our room about just concluded olympics. Even, the Americans there still believe we are very intelligent cos Naija guys dey collect awards here but the two Nigerians around me here downgraded my beloved country and I felt like punching them.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 10:55pm On Aug 18, 2012
jimtosam: 7. Another thing I learnt about phone here. I was surprised they charge both ways..receiver and caller. So, if you can afford unlimited of T-mobile, boostmobile, etc. It will really pay compare to buying minutes. I think most of them are 50dollars/month (unlimited call, data, and SMS within USA). For International call, there are lots of services online. I use www.localphone.com. 5dollars will give you about 80mins to Nigeria line. Try to skype too.

8. Watch what you eat. America has the highest rate of cancer. All because of burger, 7-layer burrito, ice cream, and those junks. Don't try to feel among when you know some things can compromise your health. Coffee is not good cos of Caffeine. I will talk more about this later.

9. Don't downgrade your Country. If you can afford schooling in America, your father is rich too. Those white cant pay the fees you are paying.We had a discussion in our room about just concluded olympics. Even, the Americans there still believe we are very intelligent cos Naija guys dey collect awards here but the two Nigerians around me here downgraded my beloved country and I felt like punching them.
Very educative and insightful. Thanks man.
How many years is your masters program?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 10:58pm On Aug 18, 2012
@Imperiouxx
Please how many years is your masters program? And what determines the duration of program?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2012
bigfrancis21: @Imperiouxx
Please how many years is your masters program? And what determines the duration of program?

Duration varies with course. Mine is just 18 months. And you can push everything forward by registering maximum credit hours and you finish before that 18 months. Being on GA and an international student, I can register minimum of 9 CH and maximum of 12 CH. Total credit hours is 32 to obtain the MS degree.

@moruphb,

I have been out since morning, I will reply you mail later. K? Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 4:44am On Aug 19, 2012
bigfrancis21:
Very educative and insightful. Thanks man.
How many years is your masters program?

My masters Program is 18months. I have 33credit (9,12,12) to fulfill. Minimum of 9 per semester. No GA for first semester cos I missed the interview in April but the HOD is considering me for the remaining semesters..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 4:51am On Aug 19, 2012
jimtosam: 7. Another thing I learnt about phone here. I was surprised they charge both ways..receiver and caller. So, if you can afford unlimited of T-mobile, boostmobile, etc. It will really pay compare to buying minutes. I think most of them are 50dollars/month (unlimited call, data, and SMS within USA). For International call, there are lots of services online. I use www.localphone.com. 5dollars will give you about 80mins to Nigeria line. Try to skype too.

@jimtosan well good u are adjusting to chi-town...its a place to be expecially when u leave in downtown area but its very expensive...i stay in surburbs which i pay just $300 monthly plus utilities..and also i will advice u to switch to simple mobile network becos is $40 a month for unlimited call text in usa and international text is free plus also web service...so thats what i use for now...well u are just one week old you will discover so many things about usa and share more of experience to prospective students....wish u best of luck in ur studies ........welcome to chi-town grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 4:55am On Aug 19, 2012
madeit2thetop: pls how will I know maybe a school is giving scholarship or not

@ made it to the top..goto the school website and check the financial aid section for international students and check for each of the school website u want to attend or likely to attend....or u can call the school international office to find out how u can get a scholarship thats very important becos even americans here struggle to get scholarship couple with financial aid to pay their tuition fees so as to make education affordable for themselves...so try and make ur research now when there is still time left.............
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 4:59am On Aug 19, 2012
walex57:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...me wey go get long throat go order for double whopper for burger king...i never even eat am reach half wey my neck don dey expand...i for bring alabukun as chi tow base talk ooo...bush meat no dey hear...and abeg i fit set trap for the front of my house as i dey see squirrels dey move about...that na real bush meat ooo...dem dey hungry me as i dey see them....visa interviewees...i guess fall 2012 shld be getting finished by now...so spring applicants...all the very best ooo

lolz.... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 5:41am On Aug 19, 2012
@imperiouxx i tried sendin u a mail bt i wonda y its nt going. It kips sayin 'an unexpected error has occured'
@dr dolittle wher are u, e dn tey wey i c u 4 here nd even ur numba no dey go again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Drpak: 6:23am On Aug 19, 2012
@imperioux, does filling d ds160 form abt 2 months b4 d interview matas I.e d intended date on d form is far behind d date for d interview, does dis reli matas during d interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:28am On Aug 19, 2012
Dr pak: @imperioux, does filling d ds160 form abt 2 months b4 d interview matas I.e d intended date on d form is far behind d date for d interview, does dis reli matas during d interview.

What about if there is a change in plan? It doesn't matter but why won't you wait few weeks to interview when everything is set then filling the DS. By then you will have track of what you filled fresh in cerebrum.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by lanrypaddy: 6:33am On Aug 19, 2012

D̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̥̅̊$ Ȋ̝̊̅§ a good and informative post and will help we just planning †̥ enter the US...keep it up bro...let M̶̲̥̅ƺ av Ʊя̲̅ email ID bro...Any other stallite should pls drop there words of advice †̥ the incoming freshers...lolz...I don't wanna take anytin 4 granted in the US M̶̲̥̅Ɣ plle...Ʊ knw wat I mean nw...Happy Eld-fitri †̥ muslim brodas and sistas in the house...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 6:36am On Aug 19, 2012
jimtosam: Greetings to everyone ... I am still trying to settle here in the downtown of Chicago. Successgreat is greeting you guys too..Trying to settle at Hammond, Indianna....

I'm still learning but simple lessons I have learnt in just a week I spent in the United States:

1. To really enjoy your stay, bring down your school fees or Guarantee your Graduate Assitantship or Undergraduate Scholarship. Your Graduate Assistantship stipend will conveniently feed you, pay rent and utilities. If you are already into it without GA and no money, God will see you through.There are legal way out of this problem. Start thinking of transfer to a cheaper school or school that can Guarantee ur GA. GA is easy while you are here than from Nigeria. You might be called for interview and you will be there. So that you will never be out of status.

2. With your GA or any on campus job, you can easily get ur Sola Sola and eyes. Decode. If you don't have GA, quickly look for on campus job. Even if you have all the millions, just get those two stuffs. Lots of advantages are attach to them that will make your stay smooth.

4. In case you are not bouyant, patronize thrift store.There are lots of thrift stores around you. I just got a reading table at a very ridiculous price. Thrift store is a store where people donate things. You can donate too. They will sell these things at small prices and give the money realize to motherless babies' home, Disable, etc.Google for the nearest thrift store around you.

5. Make craigslist.com your friend. Somebody around you might want to sell stuffs that will be useful to you at ridiculous prices, why not take advantage. I just sealed a deal for an office chair yesterday. The person selling is very close to my residence.

6. Look for promo online. Or wait till promo time to buy some things. A friend here just took advantage Verizon promo to buy Galaxy for 50dollars (One month unlimited payment inclusive). Just be looking out for promo. Companies here do promote a lot when they have achieved their target for the year on time.Even Air ticket could be very cheap at promo time.

I'm still learning..I will always update any latest thing I learn for the benefit of Nairalanders who have invested in me.I love you all.

Goodwill is a good thrift store for anyone considering buying from a thrift store.
Please be very careful when you buy through craigs list. People are crazier than you think. You`re safer going to thrift store like Goodwill. This is not to say everyone selling on craigs list is crazy but.... crazy people list on craigs list a lot. Dont go in the hoods looking for bargains. Also, before you check craigs list or thrift store, check new items first and be sure you are really getting a deal. I have been here long enough to know that when they tell you you`re getting a deal, check twice. You`ll be surprised what you think you`re buying on sale was cheaper at some point ( Ha ha ha.. you can never be wiser than Walmart).

Good Luck.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Drpak: 6:37am On Aug 19, 2012
6packs:

Sent

Do you have another email,got a deamon mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by madeit2thetop(m): 7:23am On Aug 19, 2012
For those staying off campus pls like how much are you guys paying yearly on house rent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by splashilicious: 10:53am On Aug 19, 2012
Howdy house,could someone please tell me how/where to register for gre.Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 1:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
jimtosam: Greetings to everyone ... I am still trying to settle here in the downtown of Chicago. Successgreat is greeting you guys too..Trying to settle at Hammond, Indianna....

@ jimtosam,
If you that have just spent a few weeks in the US can come up with this didactic writeup about schooling and living in Yankee, I know assuredly with time you will with a more replete version. Kudos to you man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by product: 1:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
splashilicious: Howdy house,could someone please tell me how/where to register for gre.Thanks

Where would you like to write it and when .

@madeit2thetop

House rent varies depending on ur state . But if I can give you an average it is around 3000-4500 yearly , coz some lease can be 10months while some 12months. Apparrently average monthly lease is btw 250-600 depending on your taste and state where you reside,but I advice you to lease frm companies .

Hope this help
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 4:27pm On Aug 19, 2012
biofem2000:

Goodwill is a good thrift store for anyone considering buying from a thrift store.
Please be very careful when you buy through craigs list. People are crazier than you think. You`re safer going to thrift store like Goodwill. This is not to say everyone selling on craigs list is crazy but.... crazy people list on craigs list a lot. Dont go in the hoods looking for bargains. Also, before you check craigs list or thrift store, check new items first and be sure you are really getting a deal. I have been here long enough to know that when they tell you you`re getting a deal, check twice. You`ll be surprised what you think you`re buying on sale was cheaper at some point ( Ha ha ha.. you can never be wiser than Walmart).

Good Luck.
U are doing a wonderful job contributing here ma.Maybe one day if I enter Maryland, I might meet you. Regards to the familick. Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by moruphb: 7:02pm On Aug 19, 2012
imperiouxx:

@moruphb,

I have been out since morning, I will reply you mail later. K? Cheers!
Waitin patiently boss.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by splashilicious: 8:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
I will prefer to write the gre in Ibadan,this month or early September Does anyone know a centre to take the test in Ibadan? thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2012
I'm having the same issues too but my school said they will write me a letter which I will take with me to the interview in case if they ask me. So I don't think that should be a problem but I hope aℓℓ the gurus in here can shield more light to this. Thanks
Anthonymighty: Hey Guys. I have not been commenting for sometime. I was only doing the reading. So far; all the interview experiences shared...I noticed the VO all asked for GRE, SAT or TOEFL. But my school never asked me for that so I didn't do any of 'em. I am having an interview next month and I will like to know if that won't be a problem. I am going for Undergraduate studies. Will they still ask me for it because I noticed most of youz are for Masters. Kindly reply pls. Almighty imperioxxxx....I hail o. U too much. God bless ya 4 everything u have been doing here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by smallz001: 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2012
dnpasion: I'm having the same issues too but my school said they will write me a letter which I will take with me to the interview in case if they ask me. So I don't think that should be a problem but I hope Α̲̅ℓℓ the gurus in here can shield more light to this. Thanks

In response to your question, generally if your school did not ask you for it, then you should not have to provide it to the embassy, BUT these are Americans we are talking about, they want you to go above and beyond to prove that you are fit to go and study in the US. When I took the TOEFL, it was very easy, it was computerized, therefore I got my result immediately. So if you can afford to take it, i really suggest you do so. Try make your application look as perfect as possible. If you cannot take it, then make sure you get the letter from your school so that when your interviewer asks for it you can just say it was not part of their requirements.

During the interview, just be calm and try your best to look at the interviewer straight in the eye, they study your body language alot. Do not overdress or under-dress. Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you have. I have had years of experience dealing with american and canadian visa interviews.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelson20: 8:13am On Aug 20, 2012
Good morning everyone, Please, my friend needs your advice. What document(s) should he go along with to the bank for his sevis fee? How much should he have on him for his sevis fee? How much for his trip from Iyana Iba to & fro? What currency should he have on him? Finally, Is there any additional fee requested on entry into the embassy for visa interview? Thanks. PEACE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 11:30am On Aug 20, 2012
deevick246:

@ jimtosam,
If you that have just spent a few weeks in the US can come up with this didactic writeup about schooling and living in Yankee, I know assuredly with time you will with a more replete version. Kudos to you man.

Nna men, I think say na GRE Analytical writing you dey write undecided. You sabi blow grammar o. grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sbeauty1(f): 11:55am On Aug 20, 2012
Pls how much does it cost to write SAT ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Nna men, I think say na GRE Analytical writing you dey write undecided. You sabi blow grammar o. grin

I beg nor make me laff forget my name. When we learn, its good we demonstrate or put what we have learnt into practice or use. In doing so, we accelerate the learning process than when we don't. Regards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Dotman01(m): 12:36pm On Aug 20, 2012
splashilicious: I will prefer to write the gre in Ibadan,this month or early September Does anyone know a centre to take the test in Ibadan? thanks.
U should check EAC centre at awolowo/housing area bodija. There is anoda centre around adamasingba stadium opposite bola ige chambers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Gbenge77(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20, 2012
s-beauty :
Pls how much does it cost to write SAT ?
about $80.contact gieva in lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2012
3rd day in obamaland.. trying to settle in and be through with registration.. i ll keep in touch peeps..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by lanrypaddy: 2:48pm On Aug 20, 2012
I still D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ Naija still flexing around instead of 2 D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ prepare 4 M̶̲̥̅Ɣ journi 2 OBAMALAND d̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̥̅̊$ weekend...Infact Ibadan sweet 4 d̶̲̥̅̊i̶̲̥̅̊$ festive period...Even M̶̲̥̅Ɣ guy King_001 didn't even inform M̶̲̥̅ƺ b4 he left 4 US today, hope u sha arrive dere safely?...abeg, what A̶̲̥̅♏ I †̥ take along ωΐт̃ђ M̶̲̥̅ƺ 2 US so dat I can prepare dat nw...pls house let M̶̲̥̅ƺ know...

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.