Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,370 members, 7,888,207 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:37 PM

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly (35497 Views)

Exposed! Why Nigeria Olympic Team Failed In London / Nigeria's Olympic Team Beaten In Away Tanzania! / Wht Happ 2 Sunday Bada[nigeria's Olympic Gold Medalist]heard He Had An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 6:10pm On Jul 24, 2012
ERm How many athletes are we actually taking to the Olympics and how many sports are there competing in?

No swimmers ? No Badminton? No Cyclists?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by oladayo042: 6:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
Insightful analysis
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
Interesting - thanks for that!

Jamesqu:

We have three gold now with the award of the Sydney 4x400mM gold to us following Pettigrew's drug scandal..shame Bada is not around to receive his...
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 8:01pm On Jul 24, 2012
I'll be surprised if Blessing Okagbare actually medals in the olympics because from my point of view I don't see it. Hope I am proven wrong though.

I actually don't think her PB is good enough. My Favourite Female Athlete Allyson Felix for instance has run a PB of 10.92(this season)and no one mentions her name amongst the likely medallist. The Medallist are going to come from this group of four athletes in no particular order namely Shelley Ann Fraser Pryce,Veronica Campbell Brown ,Carmelita Jeter and Kerron Stewart

I also do think the top three girls in the 100M would run under 10.8(or at worst the third would run 10.82) and honestly don't see blessing coming anywhere near that time. Anytime close to 10.90 would be a blessing(no pun intended)for her. A medal of any colour with that time would be an added bonus.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by emsquare(m): 8:16pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nyc!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
I think I have to agree with your analysis. however what she has in her favour is the element of a young woman who is improving by the day and there is just an unknown element of how much she can improve when in the olympic final.

chic2pimp: I'll be surprised if Blessing Okagbare actually medals in the olympics because from my point of view I don't see it. Hope I am proven wrong though.

I actually don't think her PB is good enough. My Favourite Female Athlete Allyson Felix for instance has run a PB of 10.92(this season)and no one mentions her name amongst the likely medallist. The Medallist are going to come from this group of four athletes in no particular order namely Shelley Ann Fraser Pryce,Veronica Campbell Brown ,Carmelita Jeter and Kerron Stewart

I also do think the top three girls in the 100M would run under 10.8(or at worst the third would run 10.82) and honestly don't see blessing coming anywhere near that time. Anytime close to 10.90 would be a blessing(no pun intended)for her. A medal of any colour with that time would be an added bonus.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by fredoooooo: 9:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
nice thread
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 10:11pm On Jul 24, 2012
GenBuhari: I think I have to agree with your analysis. however what she has in her favour is the element of a young woman who is improving by the day and there is just an unknown element of how much she can improve when in the olympic final.

improving by the day one thing, cutting your PB by 0.10sec is something else cheesy
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:30pm On Jul 24, 2012
Interesting comments made about Okagbare. I will like to point out a few facts:
1. Olympic gold is not won by previous PB, it is won by the first to line on that final day. So, theoretically, any of the 8 finalists can win a gold medal.
2. Talking of form, Okagbare is the most in-form 100m runner going into the olympics. She has defeated the same people she will likely meet in the final.
3. An analysis of Okagbare's races will show you that she can surely dip into 10.80. In fact, I feel her coach can push her towards that. Blessing is coached by John Smith (the man who coached Ato Boldon, Maurice Green, and even Carmeliter Jeter). She is surely gaining a lot from this man.
When Okagbare started the season at the Mt SACs Relays, I was very doubtful of her new technique. She has since mastered it. IF Blessing can get the kind of start Fraser-Pryce gets, she will do a 10.70. I believe she will dip below 10.90 as situation demands. In sprint, you never know the day you will run fast. Little details really do count. I still maintain that Blessing will win a medal, probably even 3 medals (100m, LOng Jump and Relay).
As for the comparisons with the Jamaicans, I will respect them for what they have done, but thats about it. Jamaicans lack discipline in competition. While they have the talents, some of them cannot stand competition. Someone like Asafa Powell cannot chase down people. He prefers to always be in front. Even if someone posted 10.70 earlier this season, it doesnt mean they will repeat it on that night in London. Form really matters
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:51pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nigerian Ladies to watch out for:
100m:
Blessing Okagbare PB(10.96) SB(10.96)
Gloria Asumnu PB(11.03)-set in 2008, SB(11.13), 200m- PB(22.70), SB(22.93). Oldest sprinter representing Nigeria. She is 27.
Lauretta Ozoh-not sure yet about her drugs saga. She might have been disqualified for testing positive.
Damola Osayomi- raw power! She can chase down a lion. But this season, I think she got her training wrong and did not peak towards the Olympics. Her SB remains 11.31 she ran in April at Mt. SACs. She can help us in 4x100m. I think she best fits 3rd leg, handing over to Okagbare.
200m
Christy Udoh: She dumped USA for Nigeria and ran a PB of 22.72 last month. She's young(21) and has a bright prospect
400m
Omolara Omotosho: She has improved on her PB a lot this season. She is young but fairly experienced. She ran at the last World Athletics Champs. SB=PB=51.28. She can go sub 51 if pushed harder in the olympics.
Regina George PB(51.11). Also a talent for the future. I will be happy with the exposure and a semi-final berth for them both. Our 4x400m relay is strong.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
I will like to personally recognise the patriotism of Amaechi Morton. He was treated badly by Nigeria but he still chose Nigeria. He graduated last month, 3 days before his race at the African Champs. He surprised everyone by making his way down to win a gold for Nigeria. He is a very likeable character and I will ask his permission to put up his pix here
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
On Friday night, Nigeria will be lead by Mariam Usman carrying our flag. What an honour!
Team Captain is 'golden boy' Chukwumerije JNR.
Assistant team captain is Blessing Okagbare.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 24, 2012
I agree that she would be lucky to get a medal

Dis Guy:

improving by the day one thing, cutting your PB by 0.10sec is something else cheesy
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 11:04pm On Jul 24, 2012
On Saturday, Nigeria will feature in Table tennis and Boxing. Pls let us pray for Funke Oshonaike, Segun Toriola, Aruna Quadri and Edem. Segun Toriola ranked 53rd and Aruna Quadri ranked 61st. They will meet tougher opponents, but they have a good chance of progress. Funke Oshonaike ranked 63rd and Edem ranked 65..very low rankings, but God dey.
Muideen's opponent not yet confirmed in the boxing. Nigerian boxers are good punchers, but poor defensively. If he can guard his face, he may win. Also the coach needs to talk to him more. If he's leading after round 3, he should go defensive and not try some unnecesary show off.
Sunday is relatively quiet but I will keep you all abreast.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2012
How is the 'golden boy's' prospect this season, four years after the last Olympics is a very long time,
the other competitors have not been sleeping, wish him luck

Did Blessing Okagbare compete in the long jump @ monaco ?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hardeyincah(m): 11:13pm On Jul 24, 2012
more greese to ur elbow, pls keep us posted and i will try my best too....... And to add to it... let's have our fixtures for our event's if possible so that we wont miss much
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Jamesqu(m): 11:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
@ola_pluto, u lucky bad boy...the way you are talking u must be in the village...help a brother out...I have visa and can get plane ticket but no games ticket will mean a wasted visit...also ask these athletes to get on fb, twirra or even NL...so we can follow them and encourage them...don't put hope in all those girls on 51s, that won't get them anywhere...aw r d'tigers...mehn, I will kill for a chance to get into the village!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
No need for his permission, his images are all over the Internet
ola_pluto: I will like to personally recognise the patriotism of Amaechi Morton. He was treated badly by Nigeria but he still chose Nigeria. He graduated last month, 3 days before his race at the African Champs. He surprised everyone by making his way down to win a gold for Nigeria. He is a very likeable character and I will ask his permission to put up his pix here

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by SamAfrik(m): 11:50pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nice preview.
How I wish Nigerian youths were involved in sport. our govt is letting us down wit poor facilities @ d stadiums (now drinking bars)
Its obvious our athletes are only relying on talents, so I will b content whichever way dy peform.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:17am On Jul 25, 2012
SamAfrik: Nice preview.
How I wish Nigerian youths were involved in sport. our govt is letting us down wit poor facilities @ d stadiums (now drinking bars)
Its obvious our athletes are only relying on talents, so I will b content whichever way dy peform.
Nice spot! Football has rubbed off talents for other sports. Government also! Over 80% of our athletes are USA based/born. Hardly will any athlete attain world standard training/living in Nigeria. Blessing Okagbare got lucky with NIKE sponsorship. If not, she'll probably still be average.
Permit me to also 'salute' the brilliant Seun Adigun. Nigeria's female sprint hurdler. 2 heart surgeries, and she still competes hard. Rugged pretty lady.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:25am On Jul 25, 2012
more pix...some stolen without permission.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 12:46am On Jul 25, 2012
Talking of form, Okagbare is the most in-form 100m runner going into the olympics. She has defeated the same people she will likely meet in the final.

I dont think she is d most in-form athlete. Shelly ann- fraser is by far d most in-form athlete, and i have not seen Okagbare run ahead of veronica Campbell before. I believe she can win a medal because she has grown in confident, and her recent times are actually better than wat dey actually look like. Her 10.96 would easily have been a 10.8 with a following wind.

I think d long jump would be extremely very difficult 4 her. if she makes d final, i believe she can win a medal, but making d final go hard ooooo. she has a personal best of 6.97 which would not have even been enough 4 her to qualify 4 d Olympics if she was an American, and she is only the ninth best dis year.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 4:48am On Jul 25, 2012
Ola and others,

Insightful analysis. . . una heads dey there.

I understand female boxing will be featured for the first time in this Olympics and there'll be three weight categories. Any Nigerian participating in the female boxing event?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 4:51am On Jul 25, 2012
Blessing Okagbare is hot!! No homo.

And she went to UT? Awesome!! cool
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 7:36am On Jul 25, 2012
We would be represented by a woman called Ogoke in d 75 Kg category. She got to d second round of d world championship and was defeated by d eventual semi-finalist who is a Russian. It would be very difficult 4 her to win a medal, but anything can happen.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 8:36am On Jul 25, 2012
akintun: We would be represented by a woman called Ogoke in d 75 Kg category. She got to d second round of d world championship and was defeated by d eventual semi-finalist who is a Russian. It would be very difficult 4 her to win a medal, but anything can happen.

Ok, copy that. . .I'll be watching out for her
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 9:05am On Jul 25, 2012

Nigerian sprinter Blessing Okagbare believes she can upset the pecking order at the Olympics and outshine her 100m rivals from Jamaica and the United States.

The 23-year-old has hit form at the right time, dipping under 11 seconds twice this month to record victories at both the London and Monaco Diamond League events against her fellow competitors for sprint gold.

At Crystal Palace earlier this month, Okagbare scored a surprise win over defending Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica and reigning world champion Carmelita Jeter.

She then followed that up with victory in Monaco, clocking a season’s best 10.96sec. Although her rivals from Jamaica and the United States remain the bookmakers’ favourites, Okagbare says she is unfazed by the prospect of lining up against them in London.

“You race with them from day to day. It’s not any different at the Olympic Games,” she told AFP.

“They are not threats to me. When I went to Beijing, I was 19 and I got the bronze medal. This year it feels different.”

The Delta State-born athlete had a below par performance at the recent African Athletics Championships in Porto Novo, Benin Republic, losing her African 100m title to little-known Gabonese sprinter Ruddy Milama.

But her fantastic outing in Crystal Palace and Monaco has again made her one of the favourites in the women’s 100m in London.

Okagbare, a bronze medallist in the long jump in Beijing four years ago, now has genuine belief she can add a medal in the 100m in London.

“My recent win in Monaco has boosted my confidence,” Okagbare said. “I think I’m ready to face the world. I’m just going to go out and do my best.

“I’m aiming for a top three overall. If I get the gold, I’ll take it. Whatever happens I will accept my fate.”

http://www.punchng.com/sports/im-not-scared-of-americans-jamaicans-okagbare/

Damn! This Blessing Okagbare babe is fine grin cool
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 25, 2012
I simply love the olympics! Great personalities, awesome stories! #teamnigeriaalltheway
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by ayusco: 7:15pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ordinarily based on blessings pb I wld hav concured with chic2pimp that she might not win a medal but she's been improvin race by race n peakin @ d rite time plus she beaten most of the contenders so there will b no inferiority complex on her part. Shout out to the d'tigers cool b-ballers. Great job ola_pluto keep it up
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2012
ola_pluto: Interesting comments made about Okagbare. I will like to point out a few facts:
1. Olympic gold is not won by previous PB, it is won by the first to line on that final day. So, theoretically, any of the 8 finalists can wifront.
Olympic Gold is not won on previous PB agreed however more often than not it's won by one of the favourites(Top 2 may be 3 in the world). Blessing is currently not one of them

ola_pluto: Interesting comments made about Okagbare. I will like to point out a few facts:
2. Talking of form, Okagbare is the most in-form 100m runner going into the olympics. She has defeated the same people she will likely meet in the final.
Not really. Shelley Ann is the most Inform 100M. Btw most athletes time their training schedule to peak at both their National trials and the olympics so I won't take much notice of athletes current form. If Blessing won this races running under 10.9 then I would be more confident but unfortunately she isn't.

3. An analysis of Okagbare's races will show you that she can surely dip into 10.80. In fact, I feel her coach can push her towards that. Blessing is coached by John Smith (the man who coached Ato Boldon, Maurice Green, and even Carmeliter Jeter). She is surely gaining a lot from this man.
When Okagbare started the season at the Mt SACs Relays, I was very doubtful of her new technique. She has since mastered it. IF Blessing can get the kind of start Fraser-Pryce gets, she will do a 10.70. I believe she will dip below 10.90 as situation demands. In sprint, you never know the day you will run fast. Little details really do count.
An analysis of any top Female 100M athlete of which Blessing is one of em' would show they can dip under 10.90 so it's not about analysis it's about the performance on the day.
I don't doubt her technique has improved. All I am saying that she is still to get close to running under 10.9 and until that happens I really don't see her medalling.

If Allyson Felix had Fraser Pryce's bullet start she'll be the top female sprinter in the world bar none. If Usain Bolt had a Maurice Green, Asafa Powell, Kim Collins or Ben Johnson type start we might as well hang the gold medal round his neck. So If's and But's should be at the way side as of now.

If she can dip under 10.90 then she is in with a big shout for a medal.

As for the comparisons with the Jamaicans, I will respect them for what they have done, but thats about it. Jamaicans lack discipline in competition. While they have the talents, some of them cannot stand competition. Someone like Asafa Powell cannot chase down people. He prefers to always be in front. Even if someone posted 10.70 earlier this season, it doesnt mean they will repeat it on that night in London. Form really matters

The days of Jamaican athletes not being able to stand the heat and perform to the best under pressure are long gone. Asafa Powell is the last of the old breed and dude ain't winning no gold medal anytime soon.

This current breed are a lot different. Your Bolts,Blakes,Campell-Browns,Fraser Pryce,Walkers are much more adept in those type of situations. And if Shelley Ann's JT form is anything to go by she'll run under 10.7 in London. She always seems to save her best for the big occasions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Wins The Serie A Golden Boot / William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer / "This Is A Bad Dream" - Emiliano Sala's Father Reacts As Plane Wreckage Is Found

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.