Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,391 members, 7,888,263 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:28 PM

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly (35498 Views)

Exposed! Why Nigeria Olympic Team Failed In London / Nigeria's Olympic Team Beaten In Away Tanzania! / Wht Happ 2 Sunday Bada[nigeria's Olympic Gold Medalist]heard He Had An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by ayusco: 7:49pm On Jul 30, 2012
Hi ola_pluto are you sure there was no nigerian involvment today? Cos I saw a report on super sport that a nigerian boxer lawal something was beaten by a jordanian boxer
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Obinoscopy(m): 9:31am On Jul 31, 2012
Please O, let the ardent followers of the Olympics games keep us in tune with the football matches being played during the olympics. If possible, threads should be created, and sent to the frontpage.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
Imagine, North Korea has THREE gold medals so far. NORTH KOREA!!!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 1:05pm On Jul 31, 2012
Today, Basketball at 2.30pm.. Our Track and Field entries have been confirmed by IAAF...I will be sharing it in the following posts::
100m Men: Obinna Metu (10:11s), Peter Emelieze (10.18), Egwero Egho-Oghene(10.06). 79 athletes in total from all over the world will compete in 100m Men.
200m Men: Noah Akwu(20.54) is Nigeria's only rep. 56 athletes in all.
NO men's 400m rep for Nigeria.
100m Hurdles: Selim Nurudeen (13.54) only rep out of 54 entries.
400m Hurdles: Morton Amaechi (48.79) only rep out of 50 entries.
Long Jump : Stanley Gbadeke( 8.20) only rep out of 42 entries
Tripple Jump: Oke Tosin (17.23). Only rep of 27
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jul 31, 2012
grin
HNosegbe: Imagine, North Korea has THREE gold medals so far. NORTH KOREA!!!

abeg no make me laugh o! I bin dey shop corn
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 5:59pm On Jul 31, 2012
North Korea are a good sporting nation
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 6:01pm On Jul 31, 2012
If Stanley jumps his PB of 8.20, he would most probably get a medal
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 8:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
akintun: If Stanley jumps his PB of 8.20, he would most probably get a medal
No he won't!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 8:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
10am tomorrow, Felix Ekpo goes in 77kg Men. He is in group B. usually reserved for non medal contenders. Will be happy if he finishes top 8
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 01, 2012
which sport?
ola_pluto: 10am tomorrow, Felix Ekpo goes in 77kg Men. He is in group B. usually reserved for non medal contenders. Will be happy if he finishes top 8
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 01, 2012
Who did we play in the Basketball and who won?
ola_pluto: Today, Basketball at 2.30pm.. Our Track and Field entries have been confirmed by IAAF...I will be sharing it in the following posts::
100m Men: Obinna Metu (10:11s), Peter Emelieze (10.18), Egwero Egho-Oghene(10.06). 79 athletes in total from all over the world will compete in 100m Men.
200m Men: Noah Akwu(20.54) is Nigeria's only rep. 56 athletes in all.
NO men's 400m rep for Nigeria.
100m Hurdles: Selim Nurudeen (13.54) only rep out of 54 entries.
400m Hurdles: Morton Amaechi (48.79) only rep out of 50 entries.
Long Jump : Stanley Gbadeke( 8.20) only rep out of 42 entries
Tripple Jump: Oke Tosin (17.23). Only rep of 27
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 7:41am On Aug 01, 2012
GenBuhari: Who did we play in the Basketball and who won?

Nigeria 53 Lithuania 72 on Tuesday (Yesterday)

https://www.nairaland.com/1003279/nigeria-vs-lithuania-olympics-basketball
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 01, 2012
Thanks semid4lyfe,
That is not bad, most of the former soviet states are very good teams
semid4lyfe:

Nigeria 53 Lithuania 72 on Tuesday (Yesterday)

https://www.nairaland.com/1003279/nigeria-vs-lithuania-olympics-basketball
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 01, 2012
We lost by 19. That's not bad? Lol.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 8:31am On Aug 01, 2012
GenBuhari: Thanks semid4lyfe,
That is not bad, most of the former soviet states are very good teams

I expected the loss but not by that wide a margin undecided

For me, our victory over them in Venezuela was just a one off and wasn't going to be repeated.

I expect us to lose our next 3 games too embarassed
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 01, 2012
shows how much I know about basketball grin
ogugua88: We lost by 19. That's not bad? Lol.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 9:33am On Aug 01, 2012
ola_pluto:
Are you for real? 10.11 seconds and he is representing us ,wtf .what's the difference between this and the women world record of 10.49 seconds.Nigeria shouldn't have wasted tax payers funds by sending this mediocres .
angry
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:19am On Aug 01, 2012
hollandis:
Are you for real? 10.11 seconds and he is representing us ,wtf .what's the difference between this and the women world record of 10.49 seconds.Nigeria shouldn't have wasted tax payers funds by sending this mediocres .
angry
My sentiments exactly. These guys were sponsored to America many months ago to prepare for Olympics. The best some of them came back home with is 10.11s, and even that could not be repeated! I personally think Nigeria will not produce good male sprinters until coaches are able to dissuade sprinters from taking on to football. However, we have some exciting new talents coming up. Seye Ogunlewe is one of them. The coaches and former athletes are also doing a good job in bringing 'home' talents developed in America. Regina George, Idara Otu, Christy Udoh are all 'fresh' athletes who have just been given Nigerian citizenship though they were raised in America. I expect us to have good sub 10 runners within 2 years. Our administrators just need to get serious. A man of 30 years has no business in sprinting anymore. Be it 100m or 400m. Sports scholarship should have age limit. Imagine if a 30 year old woman had taken up scholarship meant for Blessing Okagbare. We wont have a star today!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 10:22am On Aug 01, 2012
semid4lyfe:

I expected the loss but not by that wide a margin undecided

For me, our victory over them in Venezuela was just a one off and wasn't going to be repeated.

I expect us to lose our next 3 games too embarassed
Believe it or not, I expect Nigeria to go through by beating France or (and)Argentina. they will also stand up to the USA. I havent lost hope yet.
Weightlifting going on this morning. I am at work, but will try to keep all abreast. Felix Ekpo not expected to win medal, but a top 8 finish will be OK.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 10:57am On Aug 01, 2012
ola_pluto:
Believe it or not, I expect Nigeria to go through by beating France or (and) Argentina. they will also stand up to the USA. I havent lost hope yet.
Weightlifting going on this morning. I am at work, but will try to keep all abreast. Felix Ekpo not expected to win medal, but a top 8 finish will be OK.

The same France that beat Argentina? shocked Wish I could be as optimistic as you are

Listened to an analyst on radio and he said D'Tigers have to win one more game and keep the margin of their losses very close and hope the other teams lose by wide margins so qualification to the next round is not exactly in our hands or isn't this true?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
How was the performance of our weightlifter in the 75kg category today? Any update guys
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
ogbeche77: How was the performance of our weightlifter in the 75kg category today? Any update guys
Felix Ekpo currently 2nd in his group. I think he's yet to be done though. Currently lifted 330KG(4 times my body weight). He is on course for a good run. But it is not easy guys!!! See his picture courtesy of BBC. Boys are not schmiling!

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2012
Felix is done! Coaches in Nigeria need real koboko. They were trying to push him too hard. Though I was not at his training, but trying to push him 8kg higher on round 2 is too much. He carried 180Kg easily, they should have gone for 185 or 183 instead of trying to carry 188. He failed in the 188 anyways and needs to wait till evening to see if he falls into top 8. For now, Felix is winning silver. Thats if the remaining 8 lifters(all better than him) dont turn up.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
An Update in the athletics. Lauretta Ozoh will not be running for Nigeria at the olympics. I think Damola Osayomi will replace her in 100m and Blessing Okagbare will be given the spot for 200m. This is semi good news because I believe Blessing can also get to the final in 200m, and Damola looks to be running good now. Bad thing is that we are stripped 2 gold medals we won in Porto Novo at African champs. Both Damola and Blessing were on reserve for 100m and 200m respectively.
As for Regina George, I knew she was clean as she is a raw talent.
As for Viv. Chukwuemeka, she should be banned from anything sports for life.She is a bad influence on upcoming talents. She has a hand in the doping of one of Nigeria's best youth athlete then, Amaka Ogeogbulam. Now Amaka has been suspended and just returned, she cannot compete on that high level again. It seems any young athlete that mingles with Vivian ends up testing positive for dope. She should never be allowed near even interhouse sports competitions. She was never a medal prospect anyway.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2012
Egbon Felix again

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
He did well.
I think he paused too long after the clean phase of the lift - he needs to understand that it would zap his power to complete the lift if he carries the weight for too long after the clean phase.
ola_pluto: Felix is done! Coaches in Nigeria need real koboko. They were trying to push him too hard. Though I was not at his training, but trying to push him 8kg higher on round 2 is too much. He carried 180Kg easily, they should have gone for 185 or 183 instead of trying to carry 188. He failed in the 188 anyways and needs to wait till evening to see if he falls into top 8. For now, Felix is winning silver. Thats if the remaining 8 lifters(all better than him) dont turn up.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 1:40pm On Aug 01, 2012
I sincerely dont understand why Felix was taken to d Olympics. Nigeria had 2 slots, and we decided to take Felix, who had zero chance of getting a medal. At d last commonwealth games, we had some young and promising female lifters who should have been taken 4 experience .
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2012
We would still retain d gold medals from d African champs becos Nigeria athletes were second in those events. Blessing should not be allowed to run d 200 meters becos it might affect her chances in d long jump. Those 2 events occurs simultaneous.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by ortopazz(m): 3:24pm On Aug 01, 2012
ogugua88: We lost by 19. That's not bad? Lol.

so what do u suppose we wil get wen we knack u.s.A tomorrow?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 7:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
ortopazz:

so what do u suppose we wil get wen we knack u.s.A tomorrow?
am just going to be at the arena tomorrow supporting both sides ,I mean how will I ever boo Bryant or be so unpatritic as to not support my country
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by olapluto(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2012
Nigeria places 8th in weightlifting after Felix Ekpo managed 331Kg in the 77Kg men.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 9:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
Oh dear, these medals are getting more and more elusive

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (28) (Reply)

William Troost-Ekong: Tottenham’s Coach Said I Will Never Make It As Footballer / "This Is A Bad Dream" - Emiliano Sala's Father Reacts As Plane Wreckage Is Found / 22 Years Old Bennacer Named 2019 AFCON Player Of The Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.