Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,314 members, 7,826,247 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! (25490 Views)

How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 4:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
I usually don't do this, but right now I am so angry I want to resign.

I started working here almost 2 years ago, and sincerely at a point, I wanted to resign because my boss was very difficult, I never did anything right in his sight.

Fast forward a year later,

due to the nature of my job, I spend most of my office hours with him, and now my very stupid boss is sexually harassing me, it started with just holding my hands but right now it has gotten to him trying to move his hands close to my private part! I am not exaggerating here!.. I have been acting really matured and trying to act professional but this afternoon was the height of it, he told me 'why are you acting like a virgin sef', I almost slapped him

Please I need advice on this, how do I handle work place harassment please, without it leading to court and all that. I have gotten angry, I have told him I am not comfortable with it, but he still continues, trying to push his luck the next time..

Anybody that have experienced such situation should let me know how they overcame it without destroying the business relationship you've worked so hard for.

Pardon my creation of a new Moniker, I have advertised a position here and I will not want the name of the company searched and displayed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Seeeeeeee: 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
Ok what do u want to hear?
From your statemet he started by holding your hand and you acted maturely...

Now his hands is getting down your private part according by your post....

We men behave funny when we see a girl as cheap with slutry behaviour, so co ordinate your self no man will try lowering his hand down your private part in the office or talk of sex with you if you behave responsible.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 27, 2016
dont leave the job yet search for another once u've got one.embarass ur boss nd quit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 4:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seeeeeeee:

An advice will do please.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2016
Lykar:
dont leave the job yet search for another once u've got one.embarass ur boss nd quit

Thanks.. I have been applying.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by BiafraBushBoy(m): 4:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
I don't want to believe your story, But let me read through again and find something tangible...

I will be right back smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Florblu(f): 4:40pm On Jun 27, 2016
Before following this advice please make sure you've gotten another source of income.
Next time he tries to harass you(seems I read you were tempted to slap him)do it,give him a resounding slap if possible 3 resounding slaps.Create a wild scene let other staff witness this.Leave the office right away and report their the following day while you wait for your sack letter.

19 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by daewoorazer(m): 4:41pm On Jun 27, 2016
Vry simple...get al those secret camcoder or perhaps use ur pone...always place it in positn wen xpecting him...

Once u av a vid record of him tryin to harass u, replicate in folds and show him u'l sue him next time he tries sumthn funy wch includes sackn u without reason.

I hope its nt estherfabian hiding unda dat moniker shocked

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2016
Florblu:
Before following this advice please make sure you've gotten another source of income.
Next time he tries to harass you(seems I read you were tempted to slap him)do it,give him a resounding slap if possible 3 resounding slaps.Create a wild scene let other staff witness this.Leave the office right away and report their the following day while you wait for your sack letter.
Wish I had another source of income. Thanks for your advice.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 4:56pm On Jun 27, 2016
daewoorazer:
Vry simple...get al those secret camcoder or perhaps use ur pone...always place it in positn wen xpecting him...

Once u av a vid record of him tryin to harass u, replicate in folds and show him u'l sue him next time he tries sumthn funy wch includes sackn u without reason.

I hope its nt estherfabian hiding unda dat moniker shocked

No, This is not estherfabian, am not really that popular here. Thanks for your advice, will use my voice recorder, my phone will be too visible
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2016
Seeeeeeee:
From your statemet he started by holding your hand and you acted maturely...

Now his hands is getting down your private part according by your post....

We men behave funny when we see a girl as cheap with slutry behaviour, so co ordinate your self no man will try lowering his hand down your private part in the office or talk of sex with you if you behave responsible.

Hmmm... If only you knew me....Thanks for your advice, maybe my 'acting matured' initially escalated this no doubt.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Starlet50(m): 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
I knw dis sounds like a stupid question...Are u a virgin

And do u wear revealing outfits?? If not,slap him and let him know dat u don't like it at all in a very embarrassing way.The point is to put him in his place,those times he tried harrassing u,U probably ddnt warn him off in a strong way so he thinks u are playing hard to get...if possible,threaten him(like,you will tell his wife,boss or other co-workers).

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Seeeeeeee: 5:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
Estherfaith:

Hmmm... If only you knew me....Thanks for your advice, maybe my 'acting matured' initially escalated this no doubt.
If it's a big company i will say contact me and my spy camera doe's the magic.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
Starlet50:
I knw dis sounds like a stupid question...Are u a virgin

And do u wear revealing outfits?? If not,slap him and let him know dat u don't like it at all in a very embarrassing way.The point is to put him in his place,those times he tried harrassing u,U probably ddnt warn him off in a strong way so he thinks u are playing hard to get...if possible,threaten him(like,you will tell his wife,boss or other co-workers).

No, I am not a virgin and I am a little above the normal average cup size, so my cloths might look 'too fitting', but I am a lady, I cover up well.
Yes, I feel my silence made it get to this stage. unfortunately, he is the owner of the company.

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by daewoorazer(m): 7:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
Estherfaith:

No, This is not estherfabian, am not really that popular here. Thanks for your advice, will use my voice recorder, my phone will be too visible

dat 1 sef dey, bt a visual exhibit na d bahdest.

e get sum secret cams wey dem camoflague as watch, pendants, wristbands etc. U can acquire 1 jes in case dear

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 27, 2016
Make money off him. How?

Next time he tryna harass you, Just stylishly get your phone to record this conversation.

Question his motive then after his slick answer of "why are you acting like a virgin?"

Slap the daylight out of him maybe twice.

He would fire you, then you sue his pervert a ss to court. Your phone recorded convo would serve as evidence againt him. OR if he doesn't fire you, he will never harass you again.

But ensure you slap him because that would be the reason you gonna get fired or respected if not fired.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by careercrew1: 10:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
Estherfaith:
I usually don't do this, but right now I am so angry I want to resign.

I started working here almost 2 years ago, and sincerely at a point, I wanted to resign because my boss was very difficult, I never did anything right in his sight.

Fast forward a year later,

due to the nature of my job, I spend most of my office hours with him, and now my very stupid boss is sexually harassing me, it started with just holding my hands but right now it has gotten to him trying to move his hands close to my private part! I am not exaggerating here!.. I have been acting really matured and trying to act professional but this afternoon was the height of it, he told me 'why are you acting like a virgin sef', I almost slapped him

Please I need advice on this, how do I handle work place harassment please, without it leading to court and all that. I have gotten angry, I have told him I am not comfortable with it, but he still continues, trying to push his luck the next time..

Anybody that have experienced such situation should let me know how they overcame it without destroying the business relationship you've worked so hard for.

Pardon my creation of a new Moniker, I have advertised a position here and I will not want the name of the company searched and displayed.
I feel your pain and what you are going through. . If your boss is harassing you, please endeavor that you document it(if possible, get concrete evidence like voice recording etc) then report the scenario to hr department immediately. .They are specialized in handling such issues. .

If you have the cash with enough hard evidence, then you can file a lawsuit. ..Please endeavor that the HR department and if possible the senior management are aware. .
Once again I am so sorry for what you're facing and I won't mind knowing how everything ended, because that's what I do, I give career advice. .So please update me with the advances, I am willing to assist you career wise in a little way I can.

Feel free to check out my career blog www.careercrew..com at your spare time for more career tips and advice. .I hope to hear from you soon

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 11:18pm On Jun 27, 2016
careercrew1:
I feel your pain and what you are going through. . If your boss is harassing you, please endeavor that you document it(if possible, get concrete evidence like voice recording etc) then report the scenario to hr department immediately. .They are specialized in handling such issues. .

If you have the cash with enough hard evidence, then you can file a lawsuit. ..Please endeavor that the HR department and if possible the senior management are aware. .
Once again I am so sorry for what you're facing and I won't mind knowing how everything ended, because that's what I do, I give career advice. .So please update me with the advances, I am willing to assist you career wise in a little way I can.

Feel free to check out my career blog www.careercrew..com at your spare time for more career tips and advice. .I hope to hear from you soon
Thank you for your concern
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by careercrew1: 12:03am On Jun 28, 2016
Estherfaith:
Thank you for your concern
You are welcome, it's what I do.. Please keep me updated
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by moski5(m): 12:14am On Jun 28, 2016
if only you'd make a case out of it
Anyways since he owns the company the hr dept may not help.
speak to a lawyer friend, get proof n settle out of court Damages n all should keep you till you get another job or yu could invest it in2 a business.
wish I could be of more help
hmu

found this

https://www.nairaland.com/2486001/top-10-things-victim-work

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 28, 2016
A Human Resource / Real Estate Consulting Firm in Lagos needs the services of a Business Analyst, Commission Agent, Sales Representative, Marketers, Public Relation Officer and a Cleaner. Interested canditates should call to know the mood of application 07031972866, 07086560323. candidates must be well presentable. Qualification: SSCE OND HND B.Sc
Note: This is a direct employment all candidates must reside in lagos.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by ehix89(m): 8:24am On Jun 28, 2016
Whichever way, he is going to fire you eventually if you refuse to dance to his tune, do the needful....some men deserves severe kick on their balls...Pray it ends well for you.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Tobbey(m): 9:11am On Jun 28, 2016
and he's a married man sad sad
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 10:02am On Jun 28, 2016
Tobbey:
and he's a married man sad sad

Yes, He is a married man, and a supposed 'born again'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by bassette(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2016
This is what I will tell u,may be unpopular but very effective...you said he claims born again eh? Then let God handle him...this is the time to turn to God in prayers sincerely from your heart and what's best for you would happen..”the king's hrt is in the hands of the Lord and like a river of water he turns it where he wills”...I wont question your boss's born again status,he just has a discipline problem so u be sincere with your desire and get your miracle.

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by MissRike(f): 2:30pm On Jun 28, 2016
I understand you coz I've been there before although I was not harassed, my previous boss used to throw sexual glances at me but I refuted. It's always common amongst these so-called married men behaving like saints but, that's not enough reason to leave your job except you're not enjoying your job again.......I'll advise you to still keep your job for now coz life outside job is not smiling o but, try looking elsewhere for jobs and keep acting maturely. I'd like to add this, pls, watch ur dressing too.

I'm MissRike

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by captain247: 4:18pm On Jun 28, 2016
Don't your company have policy in place with regards to sexual harassment for all workers? Report him to those handling sexual harassment in your company and they will take him from there. Ensure you have a witness or evidence.

Companies are suppose to educate their workers on sexual harassment to employees and managers, setting standard policies that will have positive effect on anyone reported engaging in such act irrespective of gender.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 5:17pm On Jun 28, 2016
MissRike:
I understand you coz I've been there before although I was not harassed, my previous boss used to throw sexual glances at me but I refuted. It's always common amongst these so-called married men behaving like saints but, that's not enough reason to leave your job except you're not enjoying your job again.......I'll advise you to still keep your job for now coz life outside job is not smiling o but, try looking elsewhere for jobs and keep acting maturely. I'd like to add this, pls, watch ur dressing too.

I'm MissRike

Thank you..
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 5:19pm On Jun 28, 2016
captain247:
Don't your company have policy in place with regards to sexual harassment for all workers? Report him to those handling sexual harassment in your company and they will take him from there. Ensure you have a witness or evidence.

Companies are suppose to educate their workers on sexual harassment to employees and managers, setting standard policies that will have positive effect on anyone reported engaging in such act irrespective of gender.

It is not a multi-national or large enterprise. We really don't have that kind of structure here.
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by MissRike(f): 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2016
wink
Estherfaith:

Thank you..
Always wlcm
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by careercrew1: 9:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
Estherfaith:

Thank you..
Do your have concrete evidence against your boss?
Re: How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! by Estherfaith: 8:02am On Jun 29, 2016
careercrew1:
Do your have concrete evidence against your boss?

Apart from his words, no concrete evidence.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Paid Graduate Drivers N30,000 For 3-Months Training / Felix Usikhifo Recognized By American Embassy In Lagos. Photos / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.