Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,692 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) (48622 Views)

Abba Kyari Edited Facebook Post On Hushpuppi 12 Times Before Deleting - Kakanda / 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign / Gimba Kakanda Accusing Wike Of Demolishing Mosque In False Tweets, Gets Blasted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Dee60: 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2019
A country that is weak at home cannot be strong outside!

It is Nigerians who are rushing to go to SA. Not the other way round.

If SA offers 1 million visas today, it will likely be exhausted before dawn.

I dont like what SA government are doing but let us face our problems at home and solve some of them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Iamgrey5(m): 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2019
Princedapace:

My brother, calm down, I am igbo and mostly igbos were affected in SA, but I can tell u the truth, Nigeria does not have the strength to fight SA now. Nigeria is largely oil Dependant and has and economically weaker than SA.

Pls sentiment has killed us in this country. It is same sentiment we use to elect leaders. Maybe when we fix our country again, we can be more brutal but for now, we can't. Our hands are tied.
I am far from being sentimental on this topic

The fact that SOME OF the largest companies in sa generate Their LARGEST revenues from Nigeria should tell you something..

The fact that we are the largest economy in Africa should tell you something. OBVIOUSLY, Nigeria would SUFFER SOME
consequences if WE HAVE A diplomatic stand off with South Africa JUST AS SOUTH AFRICA WILL ALSO SUFFER. However, it is funny to say we don't have any capacity to REACT TO South Africa if push comes to shove.

I know because I have lived in both countries.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by syntax50: 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2019
selemempe:
I just hope that after buhari's silly and aimless govt, that a serious president will emerge and heal the wounds of division and reposition nigeria through unity of purpose.
Truth is that we are very divided now more than ever and that division will never allow us move in a single, right direction
That is why S.A filled with crack heads will be pointing at us boldly without any action from us

As long as its still nigerians that will vote in the next president then i can assure you beyond all doubt that the next president will make Buhari look like a 1st class saint

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by ecclize: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2019
War world 3 brewing
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Fidelismaria: 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2019
Okay

Enough said

Now let talk solution
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Realdeals(m): 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2019
The conclusion was apt, it is the way forward but not feasible under the current administration.

The redemption Nigeria needs is one that moves the country away from dependence on oil exports, foreign imports and interventions and towards diversification and industrialisation. We cannot afford to glorify the idea of producing pencils in the age of artificial intelligence any more.

Only if the country becomes materially secure and industrially productive will it be able to regain its soft power and international clout and stand up to the old bullies in its neighbourhood.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by manontree: 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2019
Poorly written. If nigeria decides today to nationalise all south Africans businesses here the loss would be crippling

We remain the largest market in Africa and even the Chinese know this. Who is SA?

Under Jonathan when Nigeria started deporting all incoming SA passengers to Nigeria SA quickly came begging. Nigeria is one country SA cannot afford to fight...cos they would ultimately lose

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2019
helinues:
Nigeria is not UAE fighting proxy wars in other middle east country.

Our government is handling the situations diplomatically

Diplomacy also entails retaliation. In buharis case, he is doing more of conciliation when his country is d victim.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by 3kay945(m): 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
MelesZenawi:
NIGERIA is as it stands is very weak and cannot even fight Benin or Niger republic.

Whosoever that is deceiving you guys that this small boys recruit with no training can do anything..is a liar.

Any country can wipe Nigeria in less than one hour.

The country is nothing and has no military.

A country where military has taken the work of police.

Throughout the attack on SA did you see any military deployment.

If it is in Nigeria, the whole barracks will be unleashed on the people...

Economy zero
miliy zero
police zero
certificate zero

grin

I tire o
We are in a shameful situation right now and getting out of it isnt visible in the nearest future.

How do you expect to be respected when your internal crises keep breeding everyday.

New name in town is Bandits, grin killing innocent people at will.

In Lagos now , bad roads everywhere. Imagine ordinary road road o, we cannot maintain.

True be told. We are in yeye country.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Op, this is an editorial Which is not the opinion of Aljasera but the Author

Gimba was one of the paid writers who wrote a Poorly written loopsided article during the heat of the reprisal attacks in Nigeria.

Gimba quickly referenced the American's response to our visa fee hikes at the outset of his Article but forgot to mention how America's foreign policy under Donald Trump is built on retaliation and counter measures regardless of the country involved.

e.g Donald is doing the same to China, Canada and is currently on his way to do the same to France.

More importantly, he also forgot to tell us how America and Southafrica can be compared when it comes to international diplomacy and relations.

Gimba forgot how Jacob Zuma rushed to Nigeria when Nigeria slap MTN with a $5bn fine

Gimba also failed to mention how South Africa quickly tried to relieve the tension when Nigeria reacted to the unjust deportation of Nigerians from South Africa under Jonathan

Gimba also deliberately omitted the Billions of dollars South African businesses make in Nigeria every year.

Gimba also failed to observe that other African countries with much closer ties to South Africa have reacted to the recent Xenophobic attacks. e.g Zambia and Mozambique

Bottom line, Gimba is a paid writer who is trying to desuade Nigerians from reacting in such a manner that would put South African interest in Nigeria at risk

Although, I am against jungle justice and mob action, I am also against the activities of Nigerians trying to betray our nation cheaply to foreign interest.

The basis of the article has merit. Though he might have overplayed the relative strength and clout of SA to Nigeria the issue of having a rigid monofocused economy, plagued by anincompetent public sector and unfocused security agencies is still there.

We have issues with our current position vis-a-vis the threat of France, the future of the oil market, our position in the oil market, integrity of our borders, insecurity and not to mention, Boko Haram.

We are starting to look like late 19th century Ottoman empire. Yes we are big, yes we are strong on paper but if it's only in potential then there is nothing to it.

Economically SA needs us less than we need them. Their goods do not make it this way but if they stopped buying ours it'll show. Gimba at least put the figures there. Their businesses are entrenched in key sectors of our economy but u would be hard pressed to find a Nigerian firm doing the same there.. btw we cant do anything that'll violate contractual obligations toward or property rights of intl companies. The ripple effects are worse than whatever temporary ego/emotional fulfillment such an action would produce.

Lagos is a finance center yes but pales in comaprison to cape town and Joburg. And this is for even Nigeria-directed investment. PE firms and banks establish there and work/invest on projects based in Nigeria. Nobody is using Nigeria as a pivot for their operations in Africa.... beyond using ur heart use ur head first. Think strategically. We are clearly in a weaker position. We need to step up and get serious. That way, we can better protect our ppl. No amount of shouting or emotional ramblings will stop those ppl or get their govt to step up.

We have this issue and we also have Morocco as well. These countries are trying to be pivots for Africa focused business most of which heads to Nigeria. Casablanca finance city as it is now would definitely take a lot of what is supposed to end up in future eko atlantic (esp if they join ecowas) and it is already in operation.... this is just another example. We have to sit up.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Ten06(m): 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
I weep for my country, a giant that has been brought to it kneels as a result of corruption and bad leadership. It is well
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by 3kay945(m): 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2019
syntax50:

As long as its still nigerians that will vote in the next president then i can assure you beyond all doubt that the next president will make Buhari look like a 1st class saint

Yes o,. I second your idea. cool
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Angelfrost(m): 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2019
lexxwiz:

This topic isnt about being patriotic , theres a power mental fight going on and trust me, this is where you need to be a nigerian 1st.

Its not polictics either, Peoples years of hardwork are on the line and alot more..

Like a poster said somewhere about France using sahara deserts for weapon test at a time.

You dont want people to see Nigeria as weak, e go Bleep you and i up big time..

I hate Buhari with all my heart but this is a national concern and we must be guided.

Sir, I think you are missing the key message here... Read the submission from Aljazeera again... It was well researched and written...

There is something called acting or speaking from a position of strength... Where is the strength of Nigeria as a nation??!...

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by DSoj(m): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2019
This is junk. Saying Nigeria cannot stand against S.Africa cos of S.African companies in Nigeria is junk. Those companies and their SA govt will BEG and bribe to remain in Nigeria. Those are companies that are replaceable in jiffys.

If SA doesnt buy oil from Nigeria, it won't be felt so much. The oil market is too Big for SA to be a threat.
The writer is just trying to provoke deep troubles in a matter that can be solved very diplomatically.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Idonki(f): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2019
At present, it is clear Nigeria does not have the military, the intelligence capability or the diplomatic clout to pursue a serious escalation against even a regional power, such as South Africa.
Imagine the temerity
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Chiefochiefo(m): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nna mehnnnn, this one weak me sha. So where was Nigeria when all these nations were developing?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by jaxxy(m): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2019
GogobiriLalas:
Smarter than you though

I’m wondering what happens if we sack Mtn, shoprite and Dstv of which we already have too replacement investors watching and waiting their spots. Just saying.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2019
Princedapace:

My brother, calm down, I am igbo and mostly igbos were affected in SA, but I can tell u the truth, Nigeria does not have the strength to fight SA now. Nigeria is largely oil Dependant and has and economically weaker than SA.

Pls sentiment has killed us in this country. It is same sentiment we use to elect leaders. Maybe when we fix our country again, we can be more brutal but for now, we can't. Our hands are tied.

When GEJ went on a deportation spree of south African nationals in retaliation 2d deportation of Nigerians from SA which made d AU& SA to come begging, was Nigeria dependent on Uranium or on Oil?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by densiks: 6:05pm On Sep 14, 2019
This article is total balderdash
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 6:06pm On Sep 14, 2019
KwoiZabo:
This is exactly what I was telling people when this Xenophobic attacks started. Nigeria can do nothing to South Africa.
Lets build our country first so that when we talk, it will be from a position of strength not weakness.
However the most unfortunate situation here is that South Africa is a Rich Country but South Africans are poor. Over 80% of the country's wealth is in the hands of the about 8 Million whites in the country.

Jonathan deported south Africans after Nigerians were deported from SA and south Africa came begging. D article is highly inaccurate

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by ade002: 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2019
As sad as it may sound, I believe the writer is correct,. But the reaction of some on this platform is pathetic, this is not time to attack his person, character or competencies but a time to reflect. If his postulations are incorrect I love to hear matching arguments.
Personally, I take his words as a challenge. We must put on our thinking caps and be 21st century creative. We don't go celebrating groundnut grinding machine in the age of A.I.

Lets assume that one of every ten person's in the world is a genius(academics, business, sports etc). The number of genius in Nigeria will surpass the entire population of many countries. yet we may be economically dependent on the goodwill of these countries.

No sane government will destroy a source of revenue without an alternative. Even to save its face. its like burning your house and property so as to teach the landlord a lesson.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by madenigga(m): 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2019
helinues:

U tried to reply intelligently but u ended up sounding very dumb. They are not talking about war, they are talking about the need for Nigeria to diverstify its economy and push for industrialization

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2019
MelesZenawi:
NIGERIA is as it stands is very weak and cannot even fight Benin or Niger republic.

Whosoever that is deceiving you guys that this small boys recruit with no training can do anything..is a liar.

Economy zero
miliy zero
police zero
certificate zero

Nigeria is weak because buhari is weak
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2019
Foxman19:
Let us forget the interest of the Messenger of this article we should treat the content of the message. To me this man is absolutely right. The Nigeria politicians should be ashamed of themselves they have killed the country economically and there is no future for coming generation. Even the present generation are garnish their teeth. I'm happy that Obasanjo ,IBB, Dajuma,Gowon Abdusalam are very much alive watching the consequences of their mess committed then.

Jonathan deported south Africans after Nigerians were deported from SA and south Africa came begging. D article is highly inaccurate

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2019
yertyr:
Quickly came to find loopholes in the article.
Sorry guys, didnt find
There is only one truth

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Fortune109: 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2019
Nigeria is still the largest economy in Africa

Nigeria has the largest oil reserve in Africa

Nigeria has the largest population in Africa

With those three factors Nigeria has more leverage over South Africa...

Largest economy means more international businesses will have more presence in Nigeria than South africa. Which gives Nigeria more ability to influence those businesses and their home governments over an issue between Nigeria and South Africa.

Largest oil reserve in Africa means Nigeria still has a very important bargaining power than South Africa in the international Arena. As a member of Opec, Nigeria would be taken more seriously internationally as whatever action an Opec member takes affects the price of Oil all over the world. This makes Nigeria more important than South Africa in Africa.

Largest Population means more market for any product. Whatever the western nations produce has more market in Nigeria's 200 million population then a smaller 40 million South African population. China for instance will listen to Nigeria first in Africa before any nation. Compare the amount Nigerians spend in importing goods all over the world with how much South Africa spend doing same. Businesses simply take consumers with more purchasing power more seriously.

There are other areas but with these three major aspects, Nigeria still comfortably calls the shot in Africa...

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Iamgrey5(m): 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2019
Dasuks:

The basis of the article has merit. Though he might have overplayed the relative strength and clout of SA to Nigeria the issue of having a rigid monofocused economy, plagued by anincompetent public sector and unfocused security agencies is still there.

We have issues with our current position vis-a-vis the threat of France, the future of the oil market, our position in the oil market, integrity of our borders, insecurity and not to mention, Boko Haram.

We are starting to look like late 19th century Ottoman empire. Yes we are big, yes we are strong on paper but if it's only in potential then there is nothing to it.

Economically SA needs us less than we need them. Their goods do not make it this way but if they stopped buying ours it'll show. Gimba at least put the figures there. Their businesses are entrenched in key sectors of our economy but u would be hard pressed to find a Nigerian firm doing the same there.. btw we cant do anything that'll violate contractual obligations toward or property rights of intl companies. The ripple effects are worse than whatever temporary ego/emotional fulfillment such an action would produce.

Lagos is a finance center yes but pales in comaprison to cape town and Joburg. And this is for even Nigeria-directed investment. PE firms and banks establish there and work/invest on projects based in Nigeria. Nobody is using Nigeria as a pivot for their operations in Africa.... beyond using ur heart use ur head first. Think strategically. We are clearly in a weaker position. We need to step up and get serious. That way, we can better protect our ppl. No amount of shouting or emotional ramblings will stop those ppl or get their govt to step up.

We have this issue and we also have Morocco as well. These countries are trying to be pivots for Africa focused business most of which heads to Nigeria. Casablanca finance city as it is now would definitely take a lot of what is supposed to end up in future eko atlantic (esp if they join ecowas) and it is already in operation.... this is just another example. We have to sit up.
@ embolden

This is a terrible misconception sir, we need each other.

They buy less than 20 million barrels of the total 1 billion barrels Nigeria sells to the international market yearly which cost around ($3.5bn)

But their companies make more than double that amount in profit every year from the Nigerian consumers.

If you are good at spotting gaps in a write -up, you would notice that the writer never mentioned the profit the companies make for obvious reasons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by worldclass68(m): 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Economy zero
miliy zero
police zero
certificate zero

I totally disagree with you!!
fighting enemy within nah hin make Nigeria look like this,
trust me, it's far easier to fight against an outsider than to fight against someone from your family....of whom you might not even know!!
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by moorevic(m): 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2019
Tinubu and his co-hots hope you are satisfied with the international disgrace you've caused us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Reish(m): 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2019
We did this to ourselves, the greed and lack of foresightedness of our leaders, the ignorance and disunity amongst Nigerians, all this contributed to the sorry state we found ourselves today. We can be great again if WE believe and act towards it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by mildflame: 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2019
when u see a stomach infrastructure journalist, nobody go tell you
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Evercurious(f): 6:22pm On Sep 14, 2019
helinues:

TELL THAT TO A TODDLER

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lazy Nigerian Youths Gets Wikipedia Page (Photos) / Calling Me Jubril From Sudan Wasn’t A Funny Joke – Buhari / Oby & Pastor Chinedu Ezekwesili At Inauguration Thanksgiving (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.