Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) (48616 Views)

Abba Kyari Edited Facebook Post On Hushpuppi 12 Times Before Deleting - Kakanda / 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign / Gimba Kakanda Accusing Wike Of Demolishing Mosque In False Tweets, Gets Blasted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 2:30am On Sep 15, 2019
SmartyPants:

There are of course loopholes. The writer loosely argues that Nigeria is attacking from a position of weakness but he is wrong.

In military terms, neither South Africa nor Nigeria has the upper hand simply because neither has the capacity to invade the other. Stalemate.

In economic terms, neither country is particularly relevant to the other but on the balance of relevance, South Africa has much more to lose in terms of the value of South African investments in Nigeria. Nigeria will emerge the marginal victor in all out economic warfare.

But diplomatically however, Nigeria holds all the aces. South Africa cannot afford to be seen as a state which fails to uphold human rights protections. That would severely undermine it's status as a powerhouse in the AU, an in politics generally. That is not some5hignthe South Africans want, and the repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa is a huge embarrassment to which the South Africans have no effective reply. That's a checkmate from Nigeria.

i just hope you are not joking, militarily, SA has a self sufficient and well equipped military with a very well financed military industrial complex that can produce top weapons,dont forget they had nuclear bombs before,which nigeria does not have, SA has its own figters jets produced in SA, meaning they could raid nigeria if they want to, nigeria miitary is a mess, you can clearly see it.

in economic terms, nigeria has lot to lose, nigeria solely depends on oil for its revenue while south africa is a very diversified economy, only three SA companies are top in nigeria, meaning they employ nigerians also if they decide to go, we will lose, many people will go unemployed

repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa is not a huge embarrassment on SA, countries repatriate their citizens, it is nothing new, business will continue, for all we know SA is the gateway to AFrica, all global top brands are in SA

in my opinion, SA has all the cards to hurt us, we do not, where can we hurt SA that it wont destroy us, they buy our oil, they employ us, we run to their country. we are the losers in the game.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Wetlands22: 2:42am On Sep 15, 2019
Mr poster
If Nigeria export 3.83bn to South and import 5.83bn
And import 514.3m
I think it's a very good feet unless you don't know what you're talking about
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by SmartyPants(m): 2:42am On Sep 15, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i just hope you are not joking, militarily, SA has a self sufficient and well equipped military with a very well financed military industrial complex that can produce top weapons,dont forget they had nuclear bombs before,which nigeria does not have, SA has its own figters jets produced in SA, meaning they could raid nigeria if they want to, nigeria miitary is a mess, you can clearly see it.

in economic terms, nigeria has lot to lose, nigeria solely depends on oil for its revenue while south africa is a very diversified economy, only three SA companies are top in nigeria, meaning they employ nigerians also if they decide to go, we will lose, many people will go unemployed

repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa is not a huge embarrassment on SA, countries repatriate their citizens, it is nothing new, business will continue, for all we know SA is the gateway to AFrica, all global top brands are in SA

in my opinion, SA has all the cards to hurt us, we do not, where can we hurt SA that it wont destroy us, they buy our oil, they employ us, we run to their country. we are the losers in the game.

I think you need to do a bit more research on issues. Do you think South Africa is a 10 minute walk from Nigeria? The average fighter jet including those far above the level of anything available in South Africa has a range of 3000 km, which is about half the distance from SA to Nigeria. Lol. That is why nations that are serious about military reach have what are called aircraft carriers.

By the way, which fighter jet is produced in South Africa?

Economically, your argument is strange. SA cannot do anything to the Nigerian economy. Whether or not the Nigerian economy is based on garri, moi moi or toilet paper, the simple fact is, we do not trade much with SA as a major partner so if they decide to boycott our goods, there will be no impact. And as you know oil is heavily demanded globally anyway! On the other hand, they have somewhat major investments in Nigeria.

As for the diplomatic row. Of course it is a huge embarrassment. When last did you hear of a country repartriating it's citizens from anything other than a war torn country? What image does that portrayal of South Africa to the wider world?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 3:04am On Sep 15, 2019
SmartyPants:

I think you need to do a bit more research on issues. Do you think South Africa is a 10 minute walk from Nigeria? The average fighter jet including those far above the level of anything available in South Africa has a range of 3000 km, which is about half the distance from SA to Nigeria. Lol. That is why nations that are serious about military reach have what are called aircraft carriers.

By the way, which fighter jet is produced in South Africa?

Economically, your argument is strange. SA cannot do anything to the Nigerian economy. Whether or not the Nigerian economy is based on garri, moi moi or toilet paper, the simple fact is, we do not trade much with SA as a major partner so if they decide to boycott our goods, there will be no impact. And as you know oil is heavily demanded globally anyway! On the other hand, they have somewhat major investments in Nigeria.

As for the diplomatic row. Of course it is a huge embarrassment. When last did you hear of a country repartriating it's citizens from anything other than a war torn country? What image does that portrayal of South Africa to the wider world?

invasion might be difficult because of no land borders but countries have been invading each other even before air craft carriers example was in ww2 where large ships were used to transport aircrafts

economically we are a mess, 70% of our revenue is oil, south africa trade with us is 99% oil which is almost 3.56 billion usd, that is a huge revenue for nigeria,if they decide to stop buying it, we lose, their business employs lot of Nigerians, directly and indirectly, if they close shop, people will go unemployed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by timay(m): 3:11am On Sep 15, 2019
thebosstrevor:

invasion might be difficult because of no land borders but countries have been invading each other even before air craft carriers example was in ww2 where large ships were used to transport aircrafts

economically we are a mess, 70% of our revenue is oil, south africa trade with us is 99% oil which is almost 3.56 billion usd, that is a huge revenue for nigeria,if they decide to stop buying it, we lose, their business employs lot of Nigerians, directly and indirectly, if they close shop, people will go unemployed.

If MTN leaves, we can't loose jobs like you people are pointing out up and down.
The company will be nationalised and bought by a Nigerian franchise or other investors, just like when Etisalat pulled out due to debt, life goes on.

I think the job loss card some people are playing confirms a lot of things about the motive of this article, which means that the people sponsoring this article are the SA business owners trying to safeguard their business.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 15, 2019
I was the person that originally brought this news about this write up of Gimba Kakanda, to nairaland, since 10th of this month.

https://www.nairaland.com/5408580/why-nigeria-cannot-afford-stand-off

It's interesting that someone read it and went to do a new post with it - even the full write up, without Gimba's permission.
Nairalanders though cool
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by sweetilicious(f): 4:38am On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Op, this is an editorial Which is not the opinion of Aljasera but the Author

Gimba was one of the paid writers who wrote a Poorly written loopsided article during the heat of the reprisal attacks in Nigeria.

Gimba quickly referenced the American's response to our visa fee hikes at the outset of his Article but forgot to mention how America's foreign policy under Donald Trump is built on retaliation and counter measures regardless of the country involved.

e.g Donald is doing the same to China, Canada and is currently on his way to do the same to France.

More importantly, he also forgot to tell us how America and Southafrica can be compared when it comes to international diplomacy and relations.

Gimba forgot how Jacob Zuma rushed to Nigeria when Nigeria slap MTN with a $5bn fine

Gimba also failed to mention how South Africa quickly tried to relieve the tension when Nigeria reacted to the unjust deportation of Nigerians from South Africa under Jonathan

Gimba also deliberately omitted the Billions of dollars South African businesses make in Nigeria every year.

Gimba also failed to observe that other African countries with much closer ties to South Africa have reacted to the recent Xenophobic attacks. e.g Zambia and Mozambique

Bottom line, Gimba is a paid writer who is trying to dissuade Nigerians from reacting in such a manner that would put South African interest in Nigeria at risk

Although, I am against jungle justice and mob action, I am also against the activities of Nigerians trying to betray our nation cheaply to foreign interest.
Exactly

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Babaken(m): 5:02am On Sep 15, 2019
LET APC AND HIS FOLLOWERS ACCEPT FOR ONCE THAT BUHARI IS A FAILURE. EVEN JONATHAN THAT'S A CIVILIAN CANNOT TAKE THIS RUBBISH FROM SOUTH AFRICA. THAT WEAK LEAVE CAN ONLY SHOW HIS POWER HERE IN NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Absoj(m): 5:05am On Sep 15, 2019
manontree:
Poorly written. If nigeria decides today to nationalise all south Africans businesses here the loss would be crippling

We remain the largest market in Africa and even the Chinese know this. Who is SA?

Under Jonathan when Nigeria started deporting all incoming SA passengers to Nigeria SA quickly came begging. Nigeria is one country SA cannot afford to fight...cos they would ultimately lose
We wont oo bro. Have u forgotten top elites in this country have their investments and even refineries in SA? grin
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Babaken(m): 5:22am On Sep 15, 2019
Myde4naija:
before pmb / pyo what the country achievement?
my dear tell them buhari just want to make name while his followers want to make money none of them have interest of Nigeria in their mind.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by lexy2014: 5:31am On Sep 15, 2019
Awaoyelmoni:
This article reeks of inaccuracies , I agree with Gimba to the point where he said Nigeria is totally helpless as it relates to the diplomatic row between Abuja nd Pretoria. Weak yes, but not totally weak nd helpless wen it comes to diplomatic row btw countries to know hu is coming from the angle of strength FDI comes to mind I did the math going by Gimbas figures ( which to a large extent I doubt it's authenticity) Nigeria makes $3.83b as against south Africa's $514.3m then I went on to add wat Multichoice makes, plus Mtn plus Shoprite nd decided South Africa will not last a day in a stand-off with Nigeria bottomline is we can always find Some place to sell our crude but not so for south african businesses spread across Nigeria.
Out withShopRite we get agege bread,
Out with Mtn we geh glo (personally I've dumped my Mtn sim)
The nxt thing that comes to mind is why has Abuja decided to go at the issue cowardly nd not pursuing it with the vigour it deserves..
Perhaps bubus Kits nd kins weren't affected nd I'm referring to the Invaders from futa jalon mountain.
Or perhaps a section of the country which are unwanted where the ones affected. Remember air peace not FG shouldered the burden of evacuating Nigerians from SA..well we will keep guessing until the truth comes to light
Don't mind me everyone knows how this country is run on sentiments

Nice article Gimba but hardly does it reflect the Nigeria reality I'm all too familiar to with

Gimba is d same guy who falsely accused Wike of demolishing a Mosque in PH. His reputation for inacurracies precedes him

https://www.nairaland.com/5381025/gimba-kakanda-accusing-wike-demolishing

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by RomanGreen: 6:28am On Sep 15, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i think you are missing the point, MTN and DSTV employs nigerians in Nigerians and make money from Nigeria, for MTN, nigeria is one of their profitable countries after iran, if MTN or DSTV decides to leave Nigeria, Nigerians will suffer, NO tax for government and it might lead to loss of revenue for govermment, south africans companies are FDI in Nigeria, so we need them more.

how many Nigerian top companies are in south africa? one dangote cement

Nigeria does not have the achilles heel of south africa, where can we hurt them, i see no place,so we are at loss

we cant nationalise their companies because it will be doom day for Nigeria, lawsuits and investors might not come to Nigeria

try to see the big picture, we are at loss, we are just giant of africa on paper not in reality

all south african banks are bigger than nigerian banks
the top ten companies in terms of 1 billion usd revenue are all in south africa
manufacturing hub for africa is in south africa
financial city for africa is in south africa

we are at loss, diplomatically where can we hurt south africa except fines, nothing more

No, you are the one missing the point, do you really think they will wake up and decide to abandon a multi billion dollar firm with assets worth billions of dollars in Nigeria... No, the worst they will do is leave empty handed 'which is very unlikely'....if they do, watch as airtel and co take over, what you are saying would have been feasible if MTN has monopoly in this sector but that's not the case....South Africa needs the Nigerian market due to our large population for its products. Have you ever wondered why President Cyril Ramaphosa quickly rushed to Nigeria when NCC slapped over $5B fine on MTN....bros think again pls

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Awaoyelmoni(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2019
Absoj:

We wont oo bro. Have u forgotten top elites in this country have their investments and even refineries in SA? grin
apt bro I did cite sentiments in my previous mentions on this post Nigeria is run first on sentiments
there's is more to the govt unintelligent nd cowardly approach than Nigeria being just weak.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Awaoyelmoni(m): 6:54am On Sep 15, 2019
lexy2014:

Gimba is d same guy who falsely accused Wike of demolishing a Mosque in PH. His reputation for inacurracies precedes him

https://www.nairaland.com/5381025/gimba-kakanda-accusing-wike-demolishing
yes bro nd that too...Gimba has no business writing articles on public nd or international affairs infact wen I read this unintelligent nd naive article I had to ask myself hu put him to it.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by xelly: 7:12am On Sep 15, 2019
They said IGBO MAN CAN NOT RULE NIGERIA. This is the effect. Continue to die by electing IDIOTS

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by xelly: 7:14am On Sep 15, 2019
RomanGreen:

No, you are the one missing the point, do you really think they will wake up and decide to abandon a multi billion dollar firm with assets worth billions of dollars in Nigeria... No, the worst they will do is leave empty handed 'which is very unlikely'....if they do, watch as airtel and co take over, what you are saying would have been feasible if MTN has monopoly in this sector but that's not the case....South Africa needs the Nigerian market due to our large population for its products. Have you ever wondered why President Cyril Ramaphosa quickly rushed to Nigeria when NCC slapped over $5B fine on MTN....bros think again pls

Stop this, it is too weak.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by timay(m): 7:28am On Sep 15, 2019
xelly:

Stop this, it is too weak.

Nigeria is not weak . Our politicians only reacted that way to the crisis based on sentiments and personal gains , thus making us look weak. If push comes to shove, we have a lot of ways to economically do some numbers on SA.

Anyone that thinks Nigeria is weak is jist either naive or he's deliberately saying half truths, just like the case of the writer of that article.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by xelly: 7:32am On Sep 15, 2019
timay:

Nigeria is not weak . Our politicians only reacted that way to the crisis based on sentiments and personal gains , thus making us look weak. If push comes to shove, we have a lot of ways to economically do some numbers on SA.

Anyone that thinks Nigeria is weak is jist either naive or he's deliberately saying half truths, just like the case of the writer of that article.

Example of one of those ways?
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 15, 2019
GogobiriLalas:
Produce electricity first please

thank you man. i am not seeing light for almost 3days
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Greatzeus(m): 10:08am On Sep 15, 2019
selemempe:
I just hope that after buhari's silly and aimless govt, that a serious president will emerge and heal the wounds of division and reposition nigeria through unity of purpose.
Truth is that we are very divided now more than ever and that division will never allow us move in a single, right direction
That is why S.A filled with crack heads will be pointing at us boldly without any action from us
"Wounds of division"?
Let me guess, occasion by Pmb right? Division between who and who? I believe there has also been division in Nigeria as a result of diversity of tribes,I also believed it is worse now. But I won't blame Pmb for it .
We saw the level of hatred and unprintable vocal onslaught against Pmb by S.E after he became President. His sin was that he won Gej in a free and fair election. Everyone saw the obvious,even the yorubas were not left out in their hatred and abuse,just because of losing an election.
Just like Gej, Pmb appointments were lopsided. He gave critical portfolio to those who supported him the most and those who he trusted the most. So what's the fuss about?
There are people that when they talked on national issue I don't take them serious,even if they seem to be saying the truth, because I know what they saying is not as a result of patriotism but cheer hatred for Pmb,his tribe and all who dare support him.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened is what many Nigerians fail to understand.

Those South African businesses may have a large market share because they were the first entrants into the market, but their presence won't be missed because there are already enough competitions in the market they operate in.

well, they are also the only ones who have the stones and the temperament to brave nigeria's crazy business environment

lets not forget at least two attempts to run cable tv failed woefully [i still dey laugh at the TSTV debacle]
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Iamgrey5(m): 10:46am On Sep 15, 2019
ornicus:

well, they are also the only ones who have the stones and the temperament to brave nigeria's crazy business environment

lets not forget at least two attempts to run cable tv failed woefully [i still dey laugh at the TSTV debacle]
This is not totally true

Lebanese, India and Chinese businesses have survived the Nigerian economic and business climate for decades.

And India or china would swallow the barrels of oil South Africa buys from Nigeria in a minute, if there companies are allowed to take over those South African multi billion dollars companies.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 15, 2019
Iamgrey5:
This is not totally true

Lebanese, India and Chinese businesses have survived the Nigerian economic and business climate for decades.

And India or china would swallow the barrels of oil South Africa buys from Nigeria in a minute, if there companies are allowed to take over those South African multi billion dollars companies.

i guess you're right. i'm thinking in terms of MTN. back then, a lot of companies came to nigeria, tested waters and exited. Vodacom, Vodago tinz cry cry cry

chinese are all fronts for their govt though. i only hope we have our shit together or all those CCECC railways may be taken over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Ugosample(m): 11:17am On Sep 15, 2019
Greatzeus:

"Wounds of division"?
Let me guess, occasion by Pmb right? Division between who and who? I believe there has also been division in Nigeria as a result of diversity of tribes,I also believed it is worse now. But I won't blame Pmb for it .
We saw the level of hatred and unprintable vocal onslaught against Pmb by S.E after he became President. His sin was that he won Gej in a free and fair election. Everyone saw the obvious,even the yorubas were not left out in their hatred and abuse,just because of losing an election.
Just like Gej, Pmb appointments were lopsided. He gave critical portfolio to those who supported him the most and those who he trusted the most. So what's the fuss about?
There are people that when they talked on national issue I don't take them serious,even if they seem to be saying the truth, because I know what they saying is not as a result of patriotism but cheer hatred for Pmb,his tribe and all who dare support him.

this is a very hypocritical statement to make

I was in Nigeria 2015 so I still remember vividly the campaigns of destruction of the APC

How we as igbo were told to our faces shortly after Buhari won that because we did not vote him, we will get nothing from his govt (this happened a lot in Lagos, and we have not forgotten)
and then the infinite 97-5% misyarn by Buhari

then the fact that the so called rails they proposed to build
not a single meter passes through the S.E.
not to talk of the fact that Buhari asked on Live TV "what do igbos want"

and not to even think of the fact that the application for infrastructure to the SE was the abysmal least

I could go on and on.

Buhari is the most divisive Nigerian president

he is not the first northern president
but Nigeria has never been more divisive and divided

that is the truth of the matter

there is no smoke without fire

would a charlatan like Nnamdi Kanu be given audience IF that economic terrorist in Aso rock did not give him bullet points to latch upon?

Buhari caused this , and have to take FULL responsibility for the division today

I believe another president is coming to heal those wounds.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 15, 2019
RomanGreen:

No company will abandon its asset and no company will leave it asset and go empty handed without a fight in court

Airtel and co do not have the resources and expertise to buy MTN assets,if they had, they would be NO 1, companies do not just wake up to buy assets they do asset risk before taking decisions

MTN has a large market share in Nigeria telecommunication business thus making them number 1, global companies like MTN need foreign markets to make more profit does not mean that when they pull out of nigeria, they will suffer, e.g MTN is in 21 countries both in Africa and Middle east, so if they pull out of nigeria, they still have other markets to make profit from. Large population does not mean money, there are small population countries in europe and south america that are very lucrative than the nigeria market, if you check very well the three top SA companies in Nigeria are companies that sell cheap consumers products not premium products.

yea, MR cyril came to Nigeria because of the fine but his visit didnt reduce the fines, he just came to reassure the nigeria govt.

You need to ask yourself, did the fines collaspe MTN? NO, it shows they have money, the fines might send stock prices down but stock price fall and rises
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 15, 2019
timay:

If MTN leaves, we can't loose jobs like you people are pointing out up and down.
The company will be nationalised and bought by a Nigerian franchise or other investors, just like when Etisalat pulled out due to debt, life goes on.

I think the job loss card some people are playing confirms a lot of things about the motive of this article, which means that the people sponsoring this article are the SA business owners trying to safeguard their business.

If MTN leaves Nigeria, people will lose their jobs, directly and indirectly, people working directly will lose, projects that are outsource to nigerian companies will be stopped, leading to close down of some of these companies,staffs also will be lost. their closedown might even send Nigeria telecom 10 years back because MTN is the only company will the nationwide coverage, they have all the infrastructures

This 2019, you cant just wake up and nationalise a foreign company, rules have change, the world is very globalised that now adays if you try to nationalise a foreign company in your land, they can go to foreign court and these might lead to sales of your assets in foreign lands

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Fortune109: 11:31am On Sep 15, 2019
Princedapace:

Dude, are u okay at all? It is like saying international companies make more money from Nigeria than Netherlands because nigeria has more population than Netherlands. I don't think u understand how these things work.

If that is the case, international companies would have been rushing nigeria. Guy, companies are leaving Nigeria sef.

How can u even make this type of comment? Bro, SA is more business friendly by far than Nigeria. Over half the population of nigeria live in abject poverty. Then another set of almost half live in belove average line.

The middle class is an important factor in economy. The middle class in Nigeria can't afford what they are meant to afford. This is why companies like techno strive in nigeria. Purchasing power is low in nigeria. Purchasing power is high in SA. Pls, calm down and study these things. Population does not translate into economic strength. Do u know how many nigerians earn less than 100 dollars per month? How many nigerians can afford brand new products that are above 500 dollars? That is the question u should be asking and not population.
Bros, SA is economically stronger than Nigeria. In fact, international brands are more present in SA than in Nigeria, pls. SA even refines her oil and that of other countries. We send some of country men to technical trainings in SA a lot. The most recent were naval pilots. Bro, SA is far ahead of nigeria.

How can I choose to do business in a country with poor electricity compared to country with stable electricity.

It seems Oni apanle lara (The little respect I gave you has intoxicated you to be asking if I'm ok)

Nope! I'm perfectly ok! You should check your own brain...

So many countries of the world are more business friendly than China but China maintains it second largest economy in the world. Number one reason for that is their population...

Having said that, the argument was premised on who needs who more between Nigeria and South Africa. Not who is more business friendly.

And I have explained like every right thinking persons here that South Africa needs Nigeria more than we need them. For simple reasons of them having more of their billion dollars businesses here in Nigeria unlike Nigeria that has almost no major business in SA.

It's a simple logic, you only complicating things for yourself...

Nobody is asking you about how beautiful or how the whites have turned South Africa to a heaven in Africa.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Princedapace(m): 12:18pm On Sep 15, 2019
Fortune109:

It seems Oni apanle lara (The little respect I gave you has intoxicated you to be asking if I'm ok)

Nope! I'm perfectly ok! You should check your own brain...

So many countries of the world are more business friendly than China but China maintains it second largest economy in the world. Number one reason for that is their population...

Having said that, the argument was premised on who needs who more between Nigeria and South Africa. Not who is more business friendly.

And I have explained like every right thinking persons here that South Africa needs Nigeria more than we need them. For simple reasons of them having more of their billion dollars businesses here in Nigeria unlike Nigeria that has almost no major business in SA.

It's a simple logic, you only complicating things for yourself...

Nobody is asking you about how beautiful or how the whites have turned South Africa to a heaven in Africa.

Bro, first, I wasn't insulting u okay. If the question sounded impolite my apology.

Now, back to the topic. Like I said earlier, no one will see where he earns large sum and treat it anyhow. There are some countries SA won't try that shit they did to Nigerians with. Why? They know their trade deal.

SA will lose nothing much if they have a face off with Nigeria except some strategic countries are involved. I don't want to say much about international companies coming to nigeria for business more than SA.
Check out the images I uploaded so far. SA has countries where they make much of their income and they can't try this shit with them. There was a document I read, I just couldn't find it. Nigeria was among the very least countries SA considers as a strategic business partner due to earning derived from Nigerian market compared to other markets where they make money. From the SA govt actions, u will notice that they are willing to let go of the little percentage they get from Nigeria. Their companies have over 90% Nigerian staff and have done several machinery investments. There are agreements entered before they could do those investments.

I also want u to check the last image about foreign direct investment. Investors are heading to SA and it will continue to be so until Nigeria's crises and poor purchasing power is worked on. I asked u a simple question, how many Nigerians earn over 3 million per year? How many Nigerians can afford new items? This is the reason black market is popular here. It is same reason second hand used items are popular. The purchasing power is weak. Canada has small population but there is a reason the economy keep growing and for those of us into online business, there is a reason ad to those countries are higher. It is purchasing power. We have poor purchasing power in Nigeria coupled with endless crises.

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Ovamboland(m): 1:04pm On Sep 15, 2019
Corrosiveman:
When we tell them that the Zoo is crumbling they thought we were joking

How can a Country of over 200 million yet its only 20 million that pays tax

Like we said when Biafra comes we would teach you guys how to run a Supreme Nation

Majority of the 20 million who pay tax are not potential Biafrans, their states have the lowest IGR in the country, all 5 of them combined are far lower than Ogun state in IGR. Thank God for oil allocation.

Biafra as a country will be a sorry case and a humanitarian disaster nobody is willing to witness again

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by tck2000(m): 1:58pm On Sep 15, 2019
They might win the battle but we would win the war.
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by RomanGreen: 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2019
thebosstrevor:

No company will abandon its asset and no company will leave it asset and go empty handed without a fight in court

Airtel and co do not have the resources and expertise to buy MTN assets,if they had, they would be NO 1, companies do not just wake up to buy assets they do asset risk before taking decisions

MTN has a large market share in Nigeria telecommunication business thus making them number 1, global companies like MTN need foreign markets to make more profit does not mean that when they pull out of nigeria, they will suffer, e.g MTN is in 21 countries both in Africa and Middle east, so if they pull out of nigeria, they still have other markets to make profit from. Large population does not mean money, there are small population countries in europe and south america that are very lucrative than the nigeria market, if you check very well the three top SA companies in Nigeria are companies that sell cheap consumers products not premium products.

yea, MR cyril came to Nigeria because of the fine but his visit didnt reduce the fines, he just came to reassure the nigeria govt.

You need to ask yourself, did the fines collaspe MTN? NO, it shows they have money, the fines might send stock prices down but stock price fall and rises

bro, am sure you know about nationalization....even the courts cant stop that, Nigeria has more than enough to bring SA to its knees....
Re: Why Nigeria Cannot Afford A Stand-Off With South Africa By Kakanda (Al-jazeera) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 15, 2019
RomanGreen:

bro, am sure you know about nationalization....even the courts cant stop that, Nigeria has more than enough to bring SA to its knees....

try to live in the 2019 now, countries cant nationalise foreign companies asset again, this is not 1979, proper laws are already in place by the world trade organisation

there laws in world trade organisation guiding this, dont forget that recently a british court awarded a foreign company 9.5 billion usd because of nigerian government not doing their end of their bargain

they do not need nigerian courts to do anything, south africa will report nigeria to world trade organisation for nigeria breaking the rules, MTN will sue nigeria in a British or american court and if they win, it is game over, they can sell our asset abroad to gain all their money back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

3 Killed In Imo, 4 Houses, 2 Vehicles Burnt By Gunmen / Policeman Kills Youth For Insisting On Sighting Election Result Sheet / Moremi Ojudu Protests In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.