Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage (39749 Views)

The Igbo Tribe's Tragedy And Curse Of Being A Niger Deltan / Biafrans Storm Anfield Stadium To Commemorate The Asaba Massacre- Pictures / Ikoyi Tragedy And Casual Bigotry Against Yoruba Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Adaibeku(f): 9:27am On Jan 21, 2020
koyyes:

When I read the post, I was surprised that muritala Mohammed was left out. He ordered and witnessed the killing of Asaba people that very day.

This is the same person they forced thousands of primary school kids to sing about like he was some saint.
just shut up pls
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Amumaigwe: 9:29am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
Someone from okpanam delta carried out the political killings and they told u igbos( new eastern states) are the cause n u believed them shouting one Nigeria ,
....fulani get sense ,just to collect power from igbos they pushed yorubas and co to act of nonsensical genocide ,

Asaba people no mercy from me ,u are all wicked ndi Nzuzu ,

Nne, you drop your lines like hot hot. No truer analysis than this. They only burnt their own fingers betraying their own flesh and blood.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
just shut up pls

Look at this demented prostitute with two different children from two different fathers.

You will never learn to mind your business because you were never taught.

1diot.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Amumaigwe: 9:33am On Jan 21, 2020
TimFisher2:

undecided
Isi odikwa gi Mma?

Are you ok??

C’mon pull down that stupid thing you wrote there..

From now henceforth i despise you.. undecided

Anyone that despises the truth cannot be taken seriously.

4 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by TimFisher2: 9:33am On Jan 21, 2020
splendour7:
just Sharap! She Said The Truth,why Will Somebody From Ss And Non-igbo Mastermind A Coup And In Retaliation Igbos Were Killed Instead Of The Region And Tribe That Carried Out The Coup? Even When That Same Region Openly State That They Are Not Igbos Till Date? Asaba And Her People Are The Real Enemies Of Ndi Igbo,we Will Never Forgive Them For The Role They Played In The Igbo Genocide And Biafran Civil War.

Are you going to punish ur sister because of her misdemeanor at the detriment of enemies

Everyone has learnt their lessons

What we need is a common goal to forge ahead...we have a greater huddle to cross

No need for division or casting aspersions..we don’t need it right now

We all have a common enemy...and the only way we can actualize that is to be in unison.

6 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by CSTR2: 9:35am On Jan 21, 2020
PHijo:

Meaning?
The Niger Delta has ALWAYS existed. If I go by your arguement then the Niger Delta is nonexistent even now.

Before Biafra's attempt to secede there was an attempt to establish a Niger Delta republic.
The Niger delta people have always existed.
But there were part of the eastern region. There was nothing linking an ijaw man with an akwa ibom man except in the concept of the eastern region.

Igbo sons and daughters built port Harcourt.

The current south south scenario is a post war creation meant to weaken igbo land and prevent another attempt at taking away the oil bearing areas from Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Nnannapat(m): 9:35am On Jan 21, 2020
TimFisher2:

undecided
Isi odikwa gi Mma?

Are you ok??

C’mon pull down that stupid thing you wrote there..

From now henceforth i despise you.. undecided

She is absolutely right.
Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu is from Okpanam in the Midwestern region, but the coup that he mastermined was termed Igbo coup, and thousands of Igbo civilians were slaughtered after the counter coup in the north. Or is there any other thing that caused the civil war?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by xaggar(m): 9:39am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:

Everyone look at this one , whose war then ? Igbos ? Ukwa dagbukwa gi ebe ahu ,

After they will say adaibeku is mad ,I have been vindicated !

This is why it became a northern versus igbo war. Read it because you know nothing of history!

Pictures of the dead Sardauna against the background of his burning house were immediately put on display, along with those of Nzeogwu giving the heroic account of how he broke into the house and shot him, amidst the wailings of the women and children.

These pictures were used by many "Igbo leaders" and traders and elsewhere in the North to taunt the local people, as evidence that the Sardauna was dead and the North had been defeated. Suddenly, the massacres of the Muslim leaders and politicians was turned into a revolution, with the most glowing tributes being showered on the assassins.

Even songs were sang by the igbos in the north (imagine! in another man's hometown) taunting the northern indigenes on the death of their leaders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by DavidEsq(m): 9:40am On Jan 21, 2020
Revelation 7:9-10:
After this I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. 10 And they keep shouting with a loud voice, saying: “Salvation we owe to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.”

True religion knows no race or tribe. We hope and look forward to this materialisation of this prophecy, when men would live together in peace and absolute unity

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Amumaigwe: 9:42am On Jan 21, 2020
UnimkeAk:

Asaba is igbo... And part of biafra...
Igbos are really the cause of all the political problems and and coups in Nigeria.

Imagine Asikiwe going overnight into bed with the northerners to form a govt. Instead of the south west.

U need to see the interview kaduna nsegwu granted after killing the surdana and other northern elites, how arrogant he was, explaining how they were killed in queens English tho.

Mind u I'm not from the southwest.
From cross river state, if u like call it ss...

Your analysis lacks basic intelligence. But I excused you after you identified yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by UnimkeAk(m): 9:43am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
burn in hell will u
I don't believe in hell
Sorry
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by xaggar(m): 9:45am On Jan 21, 2020
splendour7:
just Sharap! She Said The Truth,why Will Somebody From Ss And Non-igbo Mastermind A Coup And In Retaliation Igbos Were Killed Instead Of The Region And Tribe That Carried Out The Coup? Even When That Same Region Openly State That They Are Not Igbos Till Date? Asaba And Her People Are The Real Enemies Of Ndi Igbo,we Will Never Forgive Them For The Role They Played In The Igbo Genocide And Biafran Civil War.

Na your people (igbos) wey full north celebrate the killings of the sarduana pass.

Go and read the aftermath of the coup.

Pictures of the dead Sardauna against the background of his burning house were immediately put on display, along with those of Nzeogwu giving the heroic account of how he broke into the house and shot him, amidst the wailings of the women and children. These pictures were used by many Igbo leaders and traders and elsewhere in the North to taunt the local people, as evidence that the Sardauna was dead and the North had been defeated. Suddenly, the massacres of the Muslim leaders and politicians was turned into a revolution, with the most glowing tributes being showered on the assassins.

You are a small boy! That's why history ought to be taught in schools so that your people don't make the same mistake.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by UnimkeAk(m): 9:47am On Jan 21, 2020
Amumaigwe:

Your analysis lacks basic intelligence. But I excused you after you identified yourself.
Lol... The intelligent folks begging for presidency in 2023.
The truth is bitter....
I mentioned a part of Nigerians history.
Can u dispute the facts I mentioned... You slowpoke.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Nickshrapnel: 9:55am On Jan 21, 2020
Davash222:

Apology can’t be enough. Justice should be served!
To who exactly? More than half of those who perpetrated the crime are dead.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Cantonese: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2020
Racoon:
The price for organized genocide and annihilation of the Asaba people was paid by Lt.Col.Murtala Mohammed & Capt.Ibrahim "Gagara" Taiwo.They came in all guns blazing and also left the world in a hail of bullets.RIP Asaba brethren & other victims of similar injustice till date.

And Ibrahim Taiwo left a wife and children many years ago who were safely living off Kirikiri road, Lagos. Imagine that wickedness.

It did not end there. The soldiers raided neighbouring towns Okpanam where unfortunately for them the people were equipped with charms that caused them to temporarily go blind and miss their way. In Ogwashi uku they left a trail of destruction.

Truly the African man is not capable to managing himself. The wickedness of the black man to his fellow black man is unimaginable.

Unfortunately the people of Asaba rather than ask for better infrastructure and cash as reparation to the families concerned, are asking for a university. Where is the land? Or will they turn to claim Okpanam lands or Oko lands or Ugbolu as theirs? They need to think deeply.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by delishpot: 9:57am On Jan 21, 2020
CSTR2:

There was no Niger delta then.

Apart from Edo-delta, the rest of the south south was under the eastern region led by military Governor Ojukwu and his deputy Effiong.

So biafra did not attack their own territory.

Say what you know. The Biafrans attacked and dealt with the Niger delta region too. Mostly looking for sympathisers of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Ogurube: 9:58am On Jan 21, 2020
You clearly don't know jack about Germany's recovery after WW2. Please, go read about America's Marshall Plan that helped Germany avert shithole-hood that Hitler almost brought upon her. If Russia wasn't itching to take a chunk of Germany, perhaps the Allies would have allowed her to wallow neck deep in shit for a while. Regardless of Germany's return to glory, its dirty past remains a stigma, just like it is on Japan. The perpetrators and all their aiders and abettors to genocide will forever be stigmatized for their infamy, in the eyes of MOST Ndi Igbo by blood, extension, and solidarity.
PotatoSalad:

Hitler did worse, did that make Germany a shithole?
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by IdioticNLmods: 9:58am On Jan 21, 2020
Techdra:

I'm surprised you're surprised. That's how Igbo people are... very cunning fiends... I only pity Deltans who support them while they destroy their state. As for me, I am a Deltan but a Nigerian first...
I wish all deltans can be like you.. Igbos will never need your support. You guys are meant to lay with the yorubas. My own is that you people should stop bearing igbo names cos it brings problem to we true igbos! We true igbos are still paying the price for action of one your own that was bearing igbo name.

9 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by gidgiddy: 10:00am On Jan 21, 2020
CSTR2:
The fact that muritala Muhammad is on the naira note is a national travesty.

Its an abomination that a country will put a genocidal killer like Murtala Mohammed on the currency but its Nigeria so am not surprised

3 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by phorget(m): 10:02am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:
@ Kevind tell any Asaba person that a lady from ibeku has no pity for them"

Adaibeku are you really from ibeku? That's a village that borders iyinehin after ozuokali in umuahia.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by PHijo(m): 10:05am On Jan 21, 2020
CSTR2:

The Niger delta people have always existed.
But there were part of the eastern region. There was nothing linking an ijaw man with an akwa ibom man except in the concept of the eastern region.

Igbo sons and daughters built port Harcourt.

The current south south scenario is a post war creation meant to weaken igbo land and prevent another attempt at taking away the oil bearing areas from Nigeria.

Well , to start with, I never mentioned "South south" or whatever Nigeria choose to call it, what I made reference to is the Niger Delta.

Secondly, the Igbo in the western region to a large part wanted to be together with their Kith and kin in the eastern region.

If that was legitimate for you, what makes you think other people's aspirations was nonexistent?

Port Harcourt was not built by Igbo. I don't know where you got that false notion from.

Even if it was, so? Does that make us owe you anything?

Maybe it was "meant to weaken Igboland".

The pre war east was west region weakened Ijaw land.

Go read history, even before Nigeria gained independence we never wanted to be part of you. In the 50s the Ijaw led by Chief Harold Dappa Biriye campaigned for a homogeneous Ijaw region, joining the Ijaw in the west and east together.

Guess who opposed it? Nnamdi Azikiwe!

Their attitude laid the foundation for all that is wrong with Nigeria today.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by PotatoSalad(m): 10:05am On Jan 21, 2020
Ogurube:
You clearly don't know jack about Germany's recovery after WW2. Please, go read about America's Marshall Plan that helped Germany avert shithole-hood led by Hitler. If Russia wasn't itching to take a chunk of Germany, perhaps she would have been wallowing neck deep in shit for a while.
Mr ITK, it was a simple question. Tackle the question with making a fool of yourself.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Dpharisee: 10:08am On Jan 21, 2020
gidgiddy:
The Irony of it all was that it was Lt Col Dimka who revenged the Asaba killings

10 years later in 1976, Dimka murdered the two principal actors in the Asaba massacre, General Murtala Mohammed and Lt Col Taiwo

Dimka needs to be honoured by Asaba people, it will help to ease the pains
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by HallaDaTruth: 10:10am On Jan 21, 2020
Nwogeh:
Average Igbo man accepts his brothers even though it's in a more competitive terms than complementary, that's why even up till date, we still feel that we are brothers with Asaba and Ikwere people. It's not only that time that Igbo's have been taken bullet for every misnorma in Nigeria....reason is that Northerners see every other person from South as either Yoruba or Igbo...very unfortunate. I understand how you feel Nnem, you are not the only one feeling that way but then I feel pained anytime I remembered how these people were killed in cold blood. How our fathers were eliminated using hunger as a weapon.
My problem is that we have refused to understand that if these people have their way, they won't waste a second to wipe Igbos out of the surface if the earth.
Honestly having our own country is the best thing that can happen to us just like Israel.... Atleast we can take our destiny in our own hands.

No wicked deeds shall go unpunished.

Relax . Its coming . we are not sleeping . let the mockers continue to mock us on Nairaland . We will laugh at last , mark my words , keep your fingers crossed . BIAFRA HAS COME .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by SmartyPants(m): 10:15am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:

Asaba is still talking trash in 2020 and has refused to learn , because of their brothers nzeogwu n ifeajuna ..fulani collected power from igbos by brainwashing all tribes even them to fight igbos "
And they dare shout "one nigeria "

No Rip to them ,I hate wicked n stupid people

Ifeajuna was from Onitsha; and what of the others? Tim Onwuatuegwu and Don Okafor, we're they from Asaba or Okpanam? Humphrey Chukwuka, Chris Anuforo and many others?

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Dpharisee: 10:20am On Jan 21, 2020
Adaibeku:

Did they pick up arms ? Hell no
Asaba people said they are not biafra ,that biafra is wicked , one Nigeria for life!
And now
Now where is nzeogwu from?

Fulani I remove cap for una , u people are only Igbo match in Nigeria other tribes are akamu

Sadly you are right, it seems only Igbos have never fallen into Fulani deception, here in the North, we have said it severally that the only tribe that the average Fulani respect in Nigeria are the Igbos.
A Fulani man will gladly pray behind an Igbo Muslim in the mosque because he believes his prayers are sincere, but will hardly do same behind a Yoruba Muslim whom they don't see as true Muslims.

Asaba people where sadly caught in their attempt to deny their Igboness to the invading Army led by Lt Col Murtala and his aid Capt Taiwo and they paid heavily with a generation of their men wiped out in the genocide. cry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by hopeforcharles(m): 10:21am On Jan 21, 2020
Will Nigeria ever get better?
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Ogurube: 10:21am On Jan 21, 2020
Your stupid question or analogy made no sense, but I'll help disabuse your mind. Firstly, Germany, from its founding up to WW2, wasn't a shithole, unlike Nigeria, a British-contrived shithole from its forced and sloppy founding. Secondly, after Hitler and his men lost, Germany was left a brain-drained shithole, with most of cities pummeled to rubbles and Jewish intelligentsia gone. But, its disgraced people saw the crimes committed by their Fuhrer and atoned for their sins by groveling on their knees for help. And, the Allies came to their rescue while pushing back Russia. Hope my ITK fixed it for you?
PotatoSalad:

Mr ITK, it was a simple question. Tackle the question with making a fool of yourself.
Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Dpharisee: 10:23am On Jan 21, 2020
ZombieHUNT:

You failed it... Woefully
I don't think you have been to those parts...
They are more Igbo than you
Don't allow Nigeria propagandists deceive you... That igbos are only in the south east...
Kindly edit
I get what she is saying, it was a case of Igbos from Asaba attempting to deny their Igboness to invading Army led by a Fulani who went ahead to massacre them in their numbers. It would have been more dignifying for them to maintain their Igboness and die doing it than the opposite.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by Dpharisee: 10:26am On Jan 21, 2020
PHijo:
This "no victor or vanquished " talk has not helped any side.

Apart from Ijaw communities Ogoni, Ibibio communities etc felt the brunt of both Biafran and Nigerian brutality.

The true victims of that war are the people of the Niger Delta.

Niger Delta is a recent creation, this is why we need history in our curriculum for novices like you sad

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage by einsteine(m): 10:30am On Jan 21, 2020
IdioticNLmods:

I wish all deltans can be like you.. Igbos will never need your support. You guys are meant to lay with the yorubas. My own is that you people should stop bearing igbo names cos it brings problem to we true igbos! We true igbos are still paying the price for action of one your own that was bearing igbo name.

This is silly. Portuguese, Catalan, and Spanish people all bear similar names, despite being from different languages.

Also, it was not the first coup that led to the civil war. It was the refusal of Ironsi (an Igbo man) to try the coup suspects, the actions of Ironsi converting the country from a Federal government to a Unitary government (an action the country is still suffering from today) and the braggadocio of Igbo people living in the North. We all know how you guys shout Igbo Amaka at the sound of any good news, wanting to live vicariously through the deeds of Igbo named persons. Your ancestors did the same thing, making and selling records and posters of how the Igbo nation conquered the Hausa/Fulani.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Obasanjo Visits Femi Fani-Kayode And His Wife At Their Residence / Federal Appointments: Buhari Didn’t Inform Me Of My Non-inclusion -onu / Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.