Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? (24377 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by crackhouse(m): 11:55am On May 18, 2012
It's because their heart is as hard as stone like that of boko haram.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by crackhouse(m): 11:56am On May 18, 2012
rokiatu:
Thanks for adding on to my fear. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Thank you very much. Now my stomach is hurting me.

God why us? grin
are u afraid of giving birth now?
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by crackhouse(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2012
rokiatu:

God why us? grin
are u afraid of giving birth now? Then u should be afraid of fphucking too.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 12:28pm On May 18, 2012
rokiatu:

God why us? grin

Stomach hurting !!! May be you are in labour my Dear! Quick let's get the midwife, please don't scream.....
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Tyche(m): 1:17pm On May 18, 2012
rokiatu:

God why us? grin
LWKMD
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 1:20pm On May 18, 2012
blackboi:
Kilanso, kilonso??undecided

at the time I posted this, someone on nairaland had just passed away. . . if you read the beginning of the post, you'll get it.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 1:21pm On May 18, 2012
Limaoscar: Why will they not stay Silent when most of them were ra.p.ed by their Adult Husbands at age 11embarassed

er. . . and how does this help?
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by adanny01(m): 2:03pm On May 18, 2012
I have a little understading to this. It has to do with genes i think (Coz am not a medic). That means both parents contribute, genewise, to how painful child birth will be.For the women, they say it depends on the pelvic whatever, which i believe is hereditary. For the man, the stature and build is hereditary.

This directly means if a father is huge (fat)- no offense intended, and the child inherits that, thats pain for the mother. Or if the mother has a small pelvic (the way i call it), means pain for her. If both genes manifest that is extra pain.

Now the real analogy, Igbo for example do have and mostly are huge, and can eat alot. That explains the size of belly their Igbo wives have (i no fit shout), which means painful delivery. All nurses i know complain that Igbo women or wifes of most but not all Igbo men can give a shout while delivering. To do more justice to this issue, Hausa men have smaller structures/build, which in turn is a less problem for their wives. W

I was born 3.45kg. My son was born 3.5kg. Am fat according to my BMI if he's got the genes, he will be too its not eating coz i dont eat much even as a fat guy.

Who concurs?
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Dextra(f): 5:27pm On May 18, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!, What a sterotype! In the Maternity where I work deep in the North the women scream! They say 'WANYO ALLAH NA!' So saying generally that Hausa/Fulani women don't cry out during labor is not true. Yes; their religion tell them to accept pain in good faith but when contraction comes, your mouth go tell you! A lot of them cry and shout and scratch and bite you till your skin bleed. I've seen lots of women in the hospitals where I worked in Abuja from different tribes who never cried so loud during labor. Individual differences! N.B The yoruba women cry out so loud, much louder than other women from other tribes but they don't bite!

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Dextra(f): 5:37pm On May 18, 2012
Insightful: I think it has to do with how each individual react in pains, I usually don't scream when in Labour, i groan with sounds 'hmmn' at intervals, a number of times the nurses had to crosscheck my countenance to be sure i was still in labour even though i've had to labour for over 12 hrs. They commended that i must be really strong but no, i don't really see it as being strong but rather i was conserving the little energy i had for pushing instead of tasking myself more with screaming and shouting.

labour is not an easy thing and everyone reacts differently.
You are the type of client I will love to have, when will you be delivering another baby? Your type make the work so easy. We won't have to give you 50% dextrose!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Aigirl(f): 6:40pm On May 18, 2012
Yeah,dey dont scrim,nt b/c of any painkiler,jst dey r traind in d art of endurance.evn,dey neva cmplain of menstrual pain evn whn dey feel it,or scrim whn bein disvirgind.dey jst mumble in silence esp d fulanis..a wman who milks cows,pound fura&walk miles evrydy wit a baby eida in d womb or@her bak,is sure acustomd 2d taste of pains.its jst d xercise dey do dat maks it easier 4dem&in mst cases,d baby is kinda realy tiny..gosh,saw one once&fot hard nt 2throw up.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by EfemenaXY: 6:13am On May 19, 2012
Aigirl: Yeah,dey dont scrim,nt b/c of any painkiler,jst dey r traind in d art of endurance.evn,dey neva cmplain of menstrual pain evn whn dey feel it,or scrim whn bein disvirgind.dey jst mumble in silence esp d fulanis..a wman who milks cows,pound fura&walk miles evrydy wit a baby eida in d womb or@her bak,is sure acustomd 2d taste of pains.its jst d xercise dey do dat maks it easier 4dem&in mst cases,d baby is kinda realy tiny..gosh,saw one once&fot hard nt 2throw up.

You fought hard not to throw up because you saw a tiny (probably pre-mature) baby??!! What sort of person are you?? angry angry angry
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by cute08: 8:02pm On May 19, 2012
Noting! Jst endurance.. Besides i tink is tautish 2 scream during childbirth. Jst try maintain n save energy 2 push.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by ayeeshatu: 8:01am On Sep 05, 2012
Its nt dat its nt painfull,it a mind tin kinda...u shout if u wnt bt when I had mah bby I neva gav a shout d only tin I culd do was prayers.When it was tym I didn't evn feel d pains wen d bby was comin out. So 2 me its d mind dat sets its self nd prayers olso bt in ur heart.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 05, 2012
nagoma:

Display of emotions in form of screaming and shouting is a weakness . That is not only in childbirth. Northern people do not generally wail and cry and shout because of death of parents , children, spouse, other relatives or anyone. This because fortitude is a virtue ( and in the case of death actually part of faith) . This doesn't mean they do not feel the pain or that thir pain is less. This is similar is Asia Europe and in all socially developed societies. In the UK they call it British grit or stiff upper lip. Fortitude in distress is a virtue whatever the bigots say. They can of course go ahead and scream to heavens at the sight of a nurse with an injection. We consider them infantile and lacking in courage.

STFU!

Who are you to talk about weakness in child-bearing

Men should really start having kids just so they know what it feels like!

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by taryour(f): 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

STFU!

Who are you to talk about weakness in child-bearing

Men should really start having kids just so they know what it feels like!

THANK YOU
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Daresh(f): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2012
cute08: Noting! Jst endurance.. Besides i tink is tautish 2 scream during childbirth. Jst try maintain n save energy 2 push.

Tautish? This mumu has no idea what pain is. I was on serious pain killers and I nearly ran mad! I weep for not using epidural. After it all dem oyinbo nurses were shaking my hand that I tried. Try pushing out a 9 pound baby and don't shout. I dare you!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by JUSTME2SY: 1:36am On Sep 06, 2012
Its neither drinking concoction nor any form of magic but share ability to endure, and this is acquired culturally and/or religiously.

Culturally its believed as shameful and/or laziness to cry/wail during child birth. While religiously (Muslims) been thought not to be heard out, because their voice be hidden same as their body. So these believes were imbibed since childhood.

I use to hear stories from Grand-mum and Mum how never to cry/wail during child birth. So during all the 6 deliveries, I did not cry/wail, even the "induction" ones. Personally the deep-breathing techniques (in and out) before the baby comes out, tremendously help to suppress the pain. So fellow mothers give that a trial, you can make it.

In fact a Nurse said if you see a fulani woman on delivery bed shaking her toes, she is at the pick of her labour.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by prothelley(f): 7:08am On Sep 06, 2012
rokiatu:

God why us? grin

Labour is not something to exaggerate. What I noticed about it is dat, it differs from person to person, just like our monthly circle, some are 3days, 4days or even a week. When I was in labour for my first child, I never had pain doing the contraction stage. I only felt my body tearing apart when the child head came out. That was when I shouted..............and the second was almost the same. The contraction was like every 5mins and a little bit painful, all I was saying was 'JESUS'. I said that till I got to the hospital. As soon as I got to the hospital, my water broke, I climbed the bed and my baby came out, but the pain this time was lesser than the first when the head came out. I thank God for seeing me through 2 times. Child bearing is not one just go into when you are not prepared, but God knows why HE places the pain there. Goodluck to those expecting.............just bear the pain, it wont last long!

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Ariyke: 7:56am On Sep 06, 2012
chei! God save me o cus am getting scared already even when i never marrysad

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by EfemenaXY: 11:03pm On Sep 07, 2012
prothelley:

Labour is not something to exaggerate. What I noticed about it is dat, it differs from person to person, just like our monthly circle, some are 3days, 4days or even a week. When I was in labour for my first child, I never had pain doing the contraction stage. I only felt my body tearing apart when the child head came out. That was when I shouted..............and the second was almost the same. The contraction was like every 5mins and a little bit painful, all I was saying was 'JESUS'. I said that till I got to the hospital. As soon as I got to the hospital, my water broke, I climbed the bed and my baby came out, but the pain this time was lesser than the first when the head came out. I thank God for seeing me through 2 times. Child bearing is not one just go into when you are not prepared, but God knows why HE places the pain there. Goodluck to those expecting.............just bear the pain, it wont last long!

The bigger the baby, the more painful labour would be.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Ishilove: 12:42am On Sep 08, 2012
Lord have mercy, I hear labour is worse than the worst menstrual cramps. I am so scared even though I am not married not to talk of pregnant... sad sad

Eve is to blame for this angry
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 7:56am On Sep 08, 2012
Ishilove: Lord have mercy, I hear labour is worse than the worst menstrual cramps. I am so scared even though I am not married not to talk of pregnant... sad sad

Eve is to blame for this angry

Marriage is not a prerequisite for pregnancy. Just be careful.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Ishilove: 9:53am On Sep 08, 2012
nagoma:

Marriage is not a prerequisite for pregnancy. Just be careful.
I know sir, thank you.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Rahmatuparker: 11:12am On Apr 24, 2013
the truth of d matter is dat, whether u shout of not labour pain will come, doctors even advice dat u save ur energy for labour. the more u shout d less strength u have for labour.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by albahafs: 12:53pm On Jun 12, 2013
achi4u: the northern babes are too tiny and under weight unlike southern babies that are well feed from the time conception.

remeber the northern men are uncircumised,so,they tend to screw their wives with loooong shaft.grin

@okija preist...
O gi nwe aka a!
achi4u: the northern babes are too tiny and under weight unlike southern babies that are well feed from the time conception.

remeber the northern men are uncircumised,so,they tend to screw their wives with loooong shaft.grin

@okija preist...
O gi nwe aka a!

@okija preist...
O gi nwe aka a!
what u r saying is nt d truth. D northrn wmn r nt too tiny, neither r dey undr wght. Lastly, d men r all circumsiced. Am sure u dnt knw anythng abt d nrth.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tck2000(m): 1:09pm On Jun 06, 2019
fcf
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Adura1013: 4:26am On Dec 08, 2022
Do you think labour in twin pregnancy is more painful?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

“My Wife Prays As If She’s Fighting With God– Fed Up Husband Laments. / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets In Minna After 17 Years (Photo) / How To Treat Your Mother Inlaw.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.