Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? (24353 Views)

Women, Childbirth And Laziness / Your Experience During Childbirth In Nigeria / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by solomon111(m): 3:32pm On May 17, 2012
dandadee: our yoruba women are something else when it comes to childbirth..they would scream..then scatter their hair..then when the baby is coming out they would want to sit up..sitting on the baby's head in the process..then the doctors and midwives are shouting..'lie down and push.you will kill yout baby o'.then she 'll respond(crying with her hands on her head) 'ha i cannot bear this pain o..ye mummy o..'then at this point her husband would cut in to console her and only God knows the insults husbands have endured from yoruba women in laour..
I am not surprised at all.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 3:35pm On May 17, 2012
sayusuf: is not birth alone, even death, calamity, disease, pain.....does not make us shout...just google the famous fulani culture of beating called sharo, or shadi.
But in d sw (ibadan) where i serve, even spon droop, u will hear shout from all direction ah! Ah! Ah!, kilode!, ah!....sometimes, its funny 2 me.
ok, is it just fulani women? or fulani, hausa and any other northern woman?

Lushka: @ OP they cry like any other tribe but start normal life easily after child birth. I worked in a labour ward in d north for 3 yrs.

really? you're the first person i'm hearing this from o. the general gist is that they dont make a peep! interesting. . . maybe its not all of them.

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by mashnino(m): 3:35pm On May 17, 2012
rokiatu:
Thanks for adding on to my fear. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Thank you very much. Now my stomach is hurting me.

God why us? grin

Hwhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe....

Rokiatu oooooo

Cold don catch u finish...

Imagine u re giving birth to twin

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Insightful: 3:35pm On May 17, 2012
I think it has to do with how each individual react in pains, I usually don't scream when in Labour, i groan with sounds 'hmmn' at intervals, a number of times the nurses had to crosscheck my countenance to be sure i was still in labour even though i've had to labour for over 12 hrs. They commended that i must be really strong but no, i don't really see it as being strong but rather i was conserving the little energy i had for pushing instead of tasking myself more with screaming and shouting.

labour is not an easy thing and everyone reacts differently.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 17, 2012
It is so sweet, pouring inside, but coming out is a hell of a thing. The men can not be blamed for it either. Point is that both are in together, legally or illegally. During insertion, it is usually dramatic with the platform shaking and screaming. Anyways, a woman is a woman.This is one post I would never forget in a hurry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Yeske2(m): 3:43pm On May 17, 2012
ti-ebe:
Please o, does anyone know what the women from the north do to stay silent? do they have some training from when they're young? I just want to know what they do to overcome the pain of childbirth. I heard that walking past the labour ward of a hospital in the north, you wont hear anything apart from the sound of the baby when the baby pops out and not a peep from the woman!
How do they do it o
Good observation, don't know why that happens even when they are given an episiotomy they don't scream unlike ajebo southern women who would shout the roof down. Mysterious to me.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by killuminati(m): 3:47pm On May 17, 2012
unite4real: I think you have not heard well. for me i used to hear this familier shout "WAYO ALLAH, WAYO ALLAH" repeatedly.
lmao @wayo lol
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by sammirano: 3:58pm On May 17, 2012
they are using jazz they have it loaded.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by achi4u(m): 4:03pm On May 17, 2012
the northern babes are too tiny and under weight unlike southern babies that are well feed from the time conception.

remeber the northern men are uncircumised,so,they tend to screw their wives with loooong shaft.grin

@okija preist...
O gi nwe aka a!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 4:10pm On May 17, 2012
My home was near a maternity home in the north. When there is shouting and screaming we know that a southern woman is in labour that day. We were never wrong.
There is no medicine or concoction given to northern women to reduce labour pains. It is just culturally considered undignifying and unbecoming for a lady to cry, shout or scream because of giving birth. It's a bit like being caught naked in public. For them it's a misdemeanor and an embarrassment .

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by ronkebp(f): 4:24pm On May 17, 2012
I did not scream during my son's birth, i was just shaking my head and holding tightly on to the sheets, because come to think of it, no amount of shouting or screaming can reduce the pain, so why not just bear it in silence!!!.I hated the contraction part though, that was the most painful part for me.

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 4:25pm On May 17, 2012
achi4u: the northern babes are too tiny and under weight unlike southern babies that are well feed from the time conception.

remeber the northern men are uncircumised,so,they tend to screw their wives with loooong shaft.grin

@okija preist...
O gi nwe aka a!

Or may be because southern women are all circumcised (FGM) and have scarring and strictures that get torn and give unbearable pains in labour.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by DrDre1(m): 4:28pm On May 17, 2012
What a thread...my wife must see this cheesy . Nice one
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by tiebe: 4:29pm On May 17, 2012
ronkebp: I did not scream during my son's birth, i was just shaking my head and holding tightly on to the sheets, because come to think of it, no amount of shouting or screaming can reduce the pain, so why not just bear it in silence!!!.I hated the contraction part though, that was the most painful part for me.

u mean am? u just kept quiet during labour? cant imagine o. sometimes i wonder if part of the shouting doesnt come from watching too many movies where people scream so, u feel its the thing to do. . . but come to think of it, movie or not, child birth pain no be beans!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by kelwheezy(m): 4:47pm On May 17, 2012
debrief08: Lol, no herbs no jazz oh, we are just taught that it shows how strong and capable you are as a woman to endure pain.
The local women self get mind pass us wey township don spoil. Those ones will give birth alone, clean up and bath the baby. When I was having my baby, I was in pain but determined not to shout, I however gave one scream and that was it, all d pain was in dat one.
My sisters laughed at me sha, but in a way they still hailed me for not shouting and crying.
lmao!! nice1 shaa grin
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Ilaje44(m): 5:01pm On May 17, 2012
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by achi4u(m): 5:04pm On May 17, 2012
nagoma:

Or may be because southern women are all circumcised (FGM) and have scarring and strictures that get torn and give unbearable pains in labour.
old system(FGM)
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by ziccoit: 5:35pm On May 17, 2012
They can even land doctor into trouble if he or she doesn't understand the theory and practice of labour. A labour that has got to the point of arrest could be misdiagnosed.

They have very high pain threshold which is a function of harsh environment that nurture them and psychological preparedness hands down from generation to generation.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by ade80: 6:21pm On May 17, 2012
That means that they don't have a lot of induced labour there, cause you can't be induced and not shout
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 6:44pm On May 17, 2012
ade_77: That means that they don't have a lot of induced labour there, cause you can't be induced and not shout

Not true
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 6:45pm On May 17, 2012
ziccoit: They can even land doctor into trouble if he or she doesn't understand the theory and practice of labour. A labour that has got to the point of arrest could be misdiagnosed.

They have very high pain threshold which is a function of harsh environment that nurture them and psychological preparedness hands down from generation to generation.

Nonsense
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by blackboi(m): 9:02pm On May 17, 2012
ti-ebe:
just saw news of her passing. didnt know her either. may her soul rest in peace
Kilanso, kilonso??undecided
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Limaoscar: 9:35pm On May 17, 2012
Why will they not stay Silent when most of them were ra.p.ed by their Adult Husbands at age 11embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by cashcpt(m): 9:53pm On May 17, 2012
My wife and I are Yorubas, she delivered our 2nd child with less than 20mins of labor I was d mid-wife(we had visit the hospital to cut d cord and remove the afterbirth) I remembered that she wasn't screaming just moaning and groaning softly at the contractions. I kept thinking that this what the bible said about Hebrews because she was active, fully recovered and ready to go back home 3hrs after delivery
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by alahamad(m): 10:07pm On May 17, 2012
Its logical to know that the screams do not reduce the pain, rather, it give you headache to worsen ur predicament.

On a general note.....we northerners endure much more than any other tribe (ibo nd yoruba).....I grew up partly in Enugu nd later to Lagos so I say dis with experience.....

About 27 years ago, My mom gave birth to our last born alone cos there was no one arround nd the security man is not allowed into our main house....

Also had to visit a dentist in Lagos about 16year ago nd the screams got me feeling shame for the fully matured folks I saw crying when I had a full braces fixed with no pain killers nd 2 front removals without a sound though had tears on ma eyes cos of the pain......
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by queensmith: 10:50pm On May 17, 2012
Just goes to show how much bondage the northern women are under. They are told it's a show of strength not to flinch during childbirth- to whom? Who is feeling the pain? Who is enduring the suffering? They want to belittle and suppress the work you do as women during childbirth.

What surprises me is the women that entertain the nonsense, I dont blame the men at all.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by Nobody: 5:00am On May 18, 2012
Its not a necessary action to be loud and yell a lot because of pain. I think its the way a person has been conditioned, and maybe partly their personality, the way they express themselves.Childbirthing pain can be kept in check MUCH better if you focus and breath. Of course there are exceptions and birthing conditions that affect the tolerance one can have. I would like to think these northern women are conditioned to be more "yoga" minded and internalize and focus on the the pain. And thats not a bad thing! Otherwise, Id like to know how a woman can not yell and freak out strickly because of some kind of repression. Shed surely start hyperventalating!
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by MSabir: 10:12am On May 18, 2012
I knw herbs may b involvd bt either syd. U shld knw that even when we r breathng our last we did so quitely. Thatz bkos we hand evrytng in d hand of GOD then y shold we shout or cry whn we r wt GOD.

1 Like

Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by MSabir: 10:35am On May 18, 2012
Limaoscar: Why will they not stay Silent when most of them were ra.p.ed by their Adult Husbands at age 11embarassed
. LUK AT URSELF WHO ARE THOSE WOMEN WALKING NAKED? IS SOUTHERNERS. WHO AR THOSE LIVING IN A BUSHY AREA? WHO ARE THOSE THAT STAY LONG B4 MARRIAGE? THEY AR OL SOUTHERNERZ. SO BY MERE SENSE U R D VICTIM OF RAPES NT D NORTHENERZ. THATZ Y FORNICATN IS HY THERE.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by nagoma(m): 10:50am On May 18, 2012
queensmith: Just goes to show how much bondage the northern women are under. They are told it's a show of strength not to flinch during childbirth- to whom? Who is feeling the pain? Who is enduring the suffering? They want to belittle and suppress the work you do as women during childbirth.

What surprises me is the women that entertain the nonsense, I dont blame the men at all.

Display of emotions in form of screaming and shouting is a weakness . That is not only in childbirth. Northern people do not generally wail and cry and shout because of death of parents , children, spouse, other relatives or anyone. This because fortitude is a virtue ( and in the case of death actually part of faith) . This doesn't mean they do not feel the pain or that thir pain is less. This is similar is Asia Europe and in all socially developed societies. In the UK they call it British grit or stiff upper lip. Fortitude in distress is a virtue whatever the bigots say. They can of course go ahead and scream to heavens at the sight of a nurse with an injection. We consider them infantile and lacking in courage.
Re: How Do Northern Women Stay Silent During Childbirth? by sabreena289(f): 11:20am On May 18, 2012
dandadee: our yoruba women are something else when it comes to childbirth..they would scream..then scatter their hair..then when the baby is coming out they would want to sit up..sitting on the baby's head in the process..then the doctors and midwives are shouting..'lie down and push.you will kill yout baby o'.then she 'll respond(crying with her hands on her head) 'ha i cannot bear this pain o..ye mummy o..'then at this point her husband would cut in to console her and only God knows the insults husbands have endured from yoruba women in laour..

lol vry funny dats excertly how dey behave...make una learn 4rm d hausa women

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please help Find My Kid Brother / “My Wife Prays As If She’s Fighting With God– Fed Up Husband Laments. / Adam Nuru Paternity Scandal: FCMB Silent On Probe 70 Days Since Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.