Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,988 members, 7,931,396 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 01:54 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (393076 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 3:33pm On Dec 16, 2013
Ikenna351:

I spoke with the guy i buy new Peugeot parts from at Area 3, Garki, about a week ago on lack of the downstream sensor issue in our markets, he said they would order for it. I called him few minutes ago and he said their goods will arrive before this coming Saturday, 21st December. So let's keep our fingers crossed.

Ikenna

Great news!.... Fingers are crossed...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:30pm On Dec 16, 2013
wisesystem:

Great news!.... Fingers are crossed...

Got a call from the guy this evening, around 5pm. His goods arrived this evening. He confirmed to me the downstream sensor (blue connector) is among the goods that arrived. So, its now available. The price is 10k.

Anyone who is interested should contact me offline, for me to give you the guys number or direct you to his shop. Anyone who can afford it should try and get it now it's available, knowing that it may not be available when you will need it. Because, yours will surely fail, considering the quality of fuel we use in Nigeria.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:11am On Dec 17, 2013
On my way to work this morning, at Wuse Zone 1 by Hali brothers, I saw a China blue D9 engulfed in smoke. People surrounded the car, trying to stop the fire consuming the whole car. By the time I got close, the fire was off. The bonnet was open. The smell oozing out suggested it was electrical that got burnt. When I got closer, I peeped. The smoke was coming out from the battery and the BSM (engine bay fuse box) boxes. The rest of the components in the engine bay appeared to still be in good shape, including the engine.

What I could only think of that would cause the issue are wrong connection, rodent activities in the engine bay, etc. Notwithstanding, we should be careful who we give our Lions to fix electrical issues. I observed that some that come from Japanese cars to French cars handle these Lions like the Japs. It's very wrong. Modern Peugeots have complex electrics. If you have been giving your Japanese cars to under Mango trees Auto Technicians to fix electrical issues for you before you switched to Peugeot, please don't carryover such maintenance habit. Euro cars, expecially Peugeot, is not "too cheap car to run" because of their complex electrical systems, including mechanicals as well. If you can only afford the Mango tree type Auto technicians, then please, it would be wise to switch back to Japs. A lot of people have said to me that modern Peugeot electrics don't last beyond 100k km. That once their mileage exceed 100k km, their electrics would start falling apart. But ask them where they take their Lions for repairs, you would shake your head. Mechanicals? Yes, some of those Mango tree mechanics can do a good job on that. But electricals? Is like signing the death warrant of your Lion with your very hand.

What happened to that D9 can happen to any car if there is wrong connection that is that dangerous. But a Japs won't have much to lose. Because it's obvious that the BSI, ECUs, BSM and the wiring harness in that car are gone. For that car to run again, the owner may have to buy a complete BSI kit (BSI unit, engine ECU and Key), BSM and wiring harness in the engine bay. Ask anyone who has suffered BSI issue to tell you how sweet it can be to experience such.

Whatever electrical issue your modern peugeot could have, PP2000 will direct you to the culptrit. Don't cut conners with the mango tree guys, once electrical system issue is the case with your Lion.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 10:10am On Dec 17, 2013
Ikenna351:

Got a call from the guy this evening, around 5pm. His goods arrived this evening. He confirmed to me the downstream sensor (blue connector) is among the goods that arrived. So, its now available. The price is 10k.

Anyone who is interested should contact me offline, for me to give you the guys number or direct you to his shop. Anyone who can afford it should try and get it now it's available, knowing that it may not be available when you will need it. Because, yours will surely fail, considering the quality of fuel we use in Nigeria.

Ikenna

Thanks for the info Ikenna, our guy sure knows how to benefit from the forces of demand and supply... 10,000k is definitely very good for him not us. Will surely get one, the scarcity of this sensor has hitherto been quite worrisome. Have a nice day sir.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 10:58am On Dec 17, 2013
Ikenna351: On my way to work this morning, at Wuse Zone 1 by Hali brothers, I saw a China blue D9 engulfed in smoke. People surrounded the car, trying to stop the fire consuming the whole car. By the time I got close, the fire was off. The bonnet was open. The smell oozing out suggested it was electrical that got burnt. When I got closer, I peeped. The smoke was coming out from the battery and the BSM (engine bay fuse box) boxes. The rest of the components in the engine bay appeared to still be in good shape, including the engine.

What I could only think of that would cause the issue are wrong connection, rodent activities in the engine bay, etc. Notwithstanding, we should be careful who we give our Lions to fix electrical issues. I observed that some that come from Japanese cars to French cars handle these Lions like the Japs. It's very wrong. Modern Peugeots have complex electrics. If you have been giving your Japanese cars to under Mango trees Auto Technicians to fix electrical issues for you before you switched to Peugeot, please don't carryover such maintenance habit. Euro cars, expecially Peugeot, is not "too cheap car to run" because of their complex electrical systems, including mechanicals as well. If you can only afford the Mango tree type Auto technicians, then please, it would be wise to switch back to Japs. A lot of people have said to me that modern Peugeot electrics don't last beyond 100k km. That once their mileage exceed 100k km, their electrics would start falling apart. But ask them where they take their Lions for repairs, you would shake your head. Mechanicals? Yes, some of those Mango tree mechanics can do a good job on that. But electricals? Is like signing the death warrant of your Lion with your very hand.

What happened to that D9 can happen to any car if there is wrong connection that is that dangerous. But a Japs won't have much to lose. Because it's obvious that the BSI, ECUs, BSM and the wiring harness in that car are gone. For that car to run again, the owner may have to buy a complete BSI kit (BSI unit, engine ECU and Key), BSM and wiring harness in the engine bay. Ask anyone who has suffered BSI issue to tell you how sweet it can be to experience such.

Whatever electrical issue your modern peugeot could have, PP2000 will direct you to the culptrit. Don't cut conners with the mango tree guys, once electrical system issue is the case with your Lion.

Ikenna

Whenever I go to see my mechanic for small fixes I try to pick up chats with other fox owners( Aside Abuja, am really beginning to believe that Makurdi is the next town with a high number of 406 users, you tend to see one fox in every 8cars). Its quite sad to discover how little these guys are willing to know about their lions and just how dependent they are on what our roadside repairers tell them. They just swallow what they are told Hook-Line and-Sinker without understanding anything

Perhaps what really gives me the shivers most time is the way they watch these guys remove and replace their car battery heads when working on these cars and when I try to inform them of the procedure for the removal of battery head terminals, they simply join the mechanics in saying that "that one na for Oyibo people".
Their case is still better because the garage owns a PP2000 which helps a lot, some lion owners in Makurdi still give their lions to mechanics who have never seen a PP2000 and like you said to rewires who don't know anything about the nuances of the Peugeot brand in comparison to Japanese. The strange look i get when I insist on and go over standard battery removal procedure or other small preventive maintenance tips I give them, makes me feel very sorry for them. One asked me why I was changing my radiator coolant yesterday. I told him I was doing so because I didnt know how long the previous owner had used the one in the car and that coolants were not to be used for more than 3years. The guy hissed and said that i loved spending money. How sad.

But these days my Mechanic is getting to take me more seriously though especially after I made him understand that transponders don't espire and also introduced him to the[i] Aerial[/i] in D9s also responsible for immobilising lions, not just the COMM 2000, in fact these days he scans my lion for me free.

Well thanks to Ikenna and other house members for the efforts. Its been truly beneficial here
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by crispgg: 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2013
Hi Folks,

I just got the Peugeot 206 that I asked for advise on a while ago on this thread.

I was informed that the fuel gauge is not functioning. The guy who checked it advised that the car be scanned in order to properly isolate the issue and fix it. I would appreciate advise on what to do please.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by segzyndpep(m): 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2013
Hello mate.jst got 407 lion pls do I have to change timing belt? Pls I need ur advicecan the scanner tell when to change it
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:34pm On Dec 19, 2013
segzyndpep: Hello mate.jst got 407 lion pls do I have to change timing belt? Pls I need ur advicecan the scanner tell when to change it

Congrats on your new new lion with the aggressive EW12 powertrain. cool

Yes, you need to replace the timing belt as soon as possible, for you may end up crying when your engine go kaput cry

PP2000 will not tell when to replace your timing belt. Notwithstanding, regular check of the engine ECU with PP2000 may warn you on time that something is about to happen to your timing belt. But, if you are unlucky, it will tell you when the belt is breaking. grin

If the belt stretch, the Camshaft will go out of position and PP2000 will warn you of that when plugged in. If your tensioner fails, the PP2000 will warn you too, but it may be too late for you to see the warning before the bomb detonates.

Any Lion you do not have the car log book; the history to know when last the previous owner replaced the timing belt, dont hesistate to replace it. How clean a car looks doesn't determine how new the timing belt is. Likewise how new the auxiliary looks, doesnt mean the timing belt is still in the same condition.

It's safer to not only replace the timing belt, but the Idler & the tensioner as well. You can also replace the water pump. But a physical check can be done on the timing belt idler and tensioner to know their condition, whether to re-use or replace. But it will be ideal to replace them all, if you can find them new and genuine.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
@ segzyndpep,

But be careful who you give your Lion to replace the timing belt for you. Because if the belt is not well tensioned or Camshaft(s) not properly timed, the car will start hard starting, suffer Multiple/random cylinder misfiring and the belt will later slip off or something similar. That will create the some problem you were tyring to prevent.

You can try Gates or Doyco brands. There is one in the market they claim is PAN. But how truly PAN it is, I do not know. So in my case, i bought Gates, a well known Aftermarket company in UK. Doyco is good as well, if you can find one.

You can get the complete Timing belt kit your EW12 engine online, including other Peugeot engines. Find one link below:

http://www.doctorcarparts.co.uk/peugeot-407-timing-belt-kit.htm

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by filcast(m): 3:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
good day all.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by guysmilee134: 12:42pm On Dec 20, 2013
Good day house. I finally got my fox back on the road. The BSI we got didn't start the car still, so we had to send the BSI, engine ECU and keys for programming. But as expected my mileage quadrupled!! I'm glad my fox is back. Thanks Ikenna for taking time out to guide me. Compliments of the season to yyou all.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:00pm On Dec 20, 2013
guysmilee134: Good day house. I finally got my fox back on the road. The BSI we got didn't start the car still, so we had to send the BSI, engine ECU and keys for programming. But as expected my mileage quadrupled!! I'm glad my fox is back. Thanks Ikenna for taking time out to guide me. Compliments of the season to yyou all.

Congrats!

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:27pm On Dec 20, 2013
Please, Lions and Lionesses, do not allow auto mechanics and electricians to disconnect your battery terminal heads. Do it yourself, following the procedure. Because if you take for granted Peugeot instructions on how to handle their electrical systems, you may end up spending hundreds of thousands before that Lion roars again.

Not just on their electrics, but their mechanicals. They are handled differently from other car brands. For example, some car brands, especially the Japs, recommend only fuel economy oil (5W20 & 5W30 ) for their modern engines (thin oils). While Peugeot recommends thick oils (15W50) for their modern engines. Peugeot designed those modern engines of their to run well with the thick oil, 15W50. In fact, Peugeot forbids or warned against use of fuel economy oils (5W20 & 5W30 use in Japs) in two of their modern engines: EW12 & HDI 2.2 engine. Fully synthetic oils can be used on Peugeot engines, but not all.

So be careful where you seek suggestions or advice on how to run your Peugeot. Trust me, when you understand Peugeot electrical and mechanical systems, you will realise how different they are from other brands.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Smoothcriminal: 12:16am On Dec 21, 2013
@ikenna I am thinking of buying a 206 (2001 model) automatic through a friend in Spain. He showed me one for 800k. Put ur self in my shoe, what will u advice, what should I look out for, and anything worth knowing or asking before I make the buy. Tenk in anticipation
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
This morning, I decided to do some work in my Lions. I started with my Baby.

My baby's Clutch master cylinder has been given sign of failure for a over a month. I bought the repair kit, N250, and hydraulic for the job. But i kept procrastinating, until it gave up last week. Lol! So this morning, I replaced the failed cylinder kit with the new one and bled it via the piston. Now the stick enters all gears smoothly.

As soon as I was done with my Baby's Clucth issue, i turned to my SV D9. I replaced the engine oil with TOTAL Quartz 7000, 15W50. I also replaced the oil filter with Purflux LS867B. I will be taking her for trip next week.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 1:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
Smoothcriminal: @ikenna I am thinking of buying a 206 (2001 model) automatic through a friend in Spain. He showed me one for 800k. Put ur self in my shoe, what will u advice, what should I look out for, and anything worth knowing or asking before I make the buy. Tenk in anticipation

Do you have the VIN? If yes, post it here. If not, get it from your friend. So that i can check and tell you the car specifications; what and what she has and lacks.

You need to know the state of the injection system & transmission. Ask your friend to start the car and snap the instrument panel 2 minutes after engine has started running. With the engine running, the instrument panel will tell you the state of the systems, to some extent. If there is a problem in the injection system, the Check engine light will be on in the picture. If its lit, ask him to scan the car, post the faults to you, take pic of the scanner with one of the error codes on the screen, etc. The faults found will help determine if the faults are minor or major issues. A picture of the instrument panel while engine is idling will tell you also the state of the ABS and other gadgets that have warning signs in the instrument panel. It will help you to decide if they are issues you can afford to fix or live with. And dont worry, you will know if the engine was truly running/idling when picture was taken, because the tachometer is there.

As for the state of the body and interior, you will have to work with what you see in the pictures of the car your friend will send to you, since the car is far far away from you. At least, I believe Spain is LHD.

As for the transmission, I don't much to say on that.

First thing first, get the VIN and post it here.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Smoothcriminal: 9:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

I asked him for the info u requested. As per d vin he insist the owner of the car says he doesn't have d vin. But these r wat hehad: mileage 195,860 km, 55 kw, ABS, power window, auto transmission, engine-1360c, 4 cylinder
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:27pm On Dec 21, 2013
Smoothcriminal: Thanks for your reply.

I asked him for the info u requested. As per d vin he insist the owner of the car says he doesn't have d vin. But these r wat hehad: mileage 195,860 km, 55 kw, ABS, power window, auto transmission, engine-1360c, 4 cylinder

"he insist the owner of the car says he doesn't have d vin". What kind of crap is that? A number that is stamped all over the engine bay/under windscreen, yet the owner is claiming what exactly ? He can't or won't get it for you? Or he/she doesn't know what Peugeot VIN looks like? Is he hiding something ?

If you can't get the VIN, i would advice you forget that car.

Forget what he is telling you the car mileage is. A picture of the instrument panel while engine is running /idling will tell you the true car mileage. Also, ignore specifications your friend is telling you the car has. The VIN will tell you everything the car was made of before it left show room.

Again, if they can't send you the VIN, run for your dear life, when you still can.

But if truly the owner doesn't know what VIN is, ask your friend to tell the owner to give him the chassis number. It's a 17 digit number that starts with VF3.......

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by KingMoney(m): 11:59am On Dec 22, 2013
Mr ikenna tanx 4 granting us d privilege to gain frm ur wealth of knowledge nd experience!!God bless u!!!I am a great fan nd lover of the peugeot 406 prestige but I ve been dissuaded frm buying the car by some of my frnds who ve been privilege to use a 406 at 1 tym or d oda,basically because of the cost of maintenance!!they all attest to d fact dat d car is splendid In virtually all ramification jus dat d cost of maintenance is quite high nd recommended I get a pencil or fish light or even an end of discussion because their cheaper cost of maintenance wen compared to 406!!am still seriously pondering on getin a 406 nd wil really luv ur objective input on this!!especially in comparism wit Toyota pencil light!! Tanx
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
King Money: Mr ikenna tanx 4 granting us d privilege to gain frm ur wealth of knowledge nd experience!!God bless u!!!I am a great fan nd lover of the peugeot 406 prestige but I ve been dissuaded frm buying the car by some of my frnds who ve been privilege to use a 406 at 1 tym or d oda,basically because of the cost of maintenance!!they all attest to d fact dat d car is splendid In virtually all ramification jus dat d cost of maintenance is quite high nd recommended I get a pencil or fish light or even an end of discussion because their cheaper cost of maintenance wen compared to 406!!am still seriously pondering on getin a 406 nd wil really luv ur objective input on this!!especially in comparism wit Toyota pencil light!! Tanx

Sorry, we don't compare Peugeot with other brands in the Peugeot house.

As for the issue of high cost of maintenance from your friends that have owned 406, yes, 406 is not a cheap car to run. Sometimes i wonder what people take Peugeot for. Peugeot parts are durable, not just reliable. They may be pricey, but you won't have to go to that part again for a long time. So if you were expecting me to say the parts are cheap, sorry for disappointing you. grin But as for your friends, they didn't deserve those 406 during their ownership. Because am yet to experience the high cost of maintenance they told you . Ask me how many things have failed in mine so far since i owned her. Most of the work or replacements i have done on the car have been preventative maintenance sake, simple. You take your car to some clowns for a simple injection issue, he played circus in your engine bay and you start having series of nightmares, one after the other. Who do you blame? Peugeot ? The poor Lion or yourself, the owner?

Now, check the link below and tell us how high cost maintenance of 406 is:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/108629-xantia-v-406-a.html

On a final note, i park my car anywhere, without considering that i may not meet the car where i left her when i come back from wherever i went to. Worst case, i will meet the Lion vandalised, which is better than the car stolen. At least, my engine ECU remain intact, knowing that it's a bad market, since no one will buy it. Ask those that their cars have been stolen or ECU stolen, they may tell you if it was possible, they would have been parking their cars inside their rooms.

Ikenna

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Smoothcriminal: 3:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
Hi ikenna

Here Is d VIN
VF32DRFNF43374243

It's a 206cc coupe with ew10 engine

awaiting your response
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:53pm On Dec 24, 2013
Smoothcriminal: Hi ikenna

Here Is d VIN
VF32DRFNF43374243

It's a 206cc coupe with ew10 engine

awaiting your response

Details below:

1. Vehicle: 206

2. Silhouette: Coupe Cabriolet-2 Door.

3. Warranty Start Date: 31/07/2003.

4. Driving Position: Left Hand Drive.

5. Trim Level: Cab Level B.

6. Engine: EW10 J4, 2.0 L, 16v, 138 hp.

7. Transmission: 5-speed Manual Tansmission, BVM5, BE4 S.

8. Badge: cc

9. Body Colour: Wicked Red.

10. Interior Trim type: Andorra Braid Cloth + "MK" EFKA.

11. Steering: Variable Power Steering.

12. Cylinder Block (Material): Crankcase Aluminium.

13. Fuel Type: Lead Free Petrol.

14. Fuel supply Cut-off: Fitted.

15. EOBD Self-Diagnosis System: Fitted.

16. Fan: 2 two-speed 250W Fans.

17. Throttle Body: Manual Throttle Body (Engine Air Intake).

18. Wheel (type): 16" Alloy Wheels.

19. Tryes (Size, Type): 205/45 R16 W Tyres.

20. ABS: ABS Teves MK70

21. Service Brake: Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.

22. Brake Type: Ventilated Front Disc/Rear Discs.

23. Suspension: Normal Suspension.

24. ESP (Electronic Stability Program): Not fitted.

25. Aerial: Short Front Aerial.

26. Exterior Rear view Mirrors: Electric contol.

27. Exterior Rear view Mirrors Fold-back: Manual Control.

28. Windscreen wiper: Front wiper blade with rain sensor.

29. Rear screen wiper: Not fitted.

30. Head lamp wiper: Not fitted.

31. Front Fog light: Fitted.

32. Front Headrest: Fitted.

33. Rear Headrest: Not fitted.

34. A/C: Fitted.

35. Radio Contol: Remote Control without CD Function.

36. Compact Disc Player (Rear): Not fitted.

37. Satellite Navigation System: Not fitted.

38. Front Windows control: Electric contol.

39. Rear Window control: Electric control.

40. Clock: Numeric clock.

41. Oil Gauge: Oil Temperature + Level Indicator.

42. Heated seat: Fitted.

43. Cruise Control: Not fitted.

44. Steering Wheel: Leather Steering Wheel 3 Branches.

45. Alternator: 70 Amps.

46. Special Lighting: Automatic Headlamp illumination.

47. Multiplexing: Yes.

48. Set of Keys: 1 HF Plip Key + 1 Single Main Key.

Etc.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ikenna, I've got a 2002 Peugeot 406 V6 sedan to service first week January. Seldom get any of them to work on, all the cars I've worked on in the last year have been 4 cylinder models, and mostly diesel. cool

What's access to the rear bank cylinder spark plugs like? I've just performed a 105,000 mile service on a 2004 Toyota Highlander V6, and access to the plugs on the rear bank involved removing the intake manifold, and the throttle body. Not difficult, more fiddly than anything.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
Siena: Ikenna, I've got a 2002 Peugeot 406 V6 sedan to service first week January. Seldom get any of them to work on, all the cars I've worked on in the last year have been 4 cylinder models, and mostly diesel. cool

What's access to the rear bank cylinder spark plugs like? I've just performed a 105,000 mile service on a 2004 Toyota Highlander V6, and access to the plugs on the rear bank involved removing the intake manifold, and the throttle body. Not difficult, more fiddly than anything.

Replacing spark plugs on the rear bank (bank 2) of ES9J4S, V6 engine in phaes II 406, doesn't put smile on ones face while at it. The bank 1, yes, would be easy. But the Bank 2, not fun.

Removing the Intake Manifold is where the task is. Not just removing the seven 8 or 10 mm bolts locking the manifold 6 holes on the cylinder head, but getting the intake Manifold off could be a pain. The Intake Manifold seats on 2 bolts at the rear bank that support the maniflod. Accessing the 2 bolts is where the problem is. A tedious task. Also, about 5 -7 vacuum lines ( i think) are attached to the intake tube and intake manifold. Detaching those vacuum lines from the tube and manifold is very risky and difficult to get off. They do tend to gum up on those plastic pipes and would let go, when trying to unplug them. Forcing them could easily break them, especially the manifold. A lot of ES9J4S owners have suffered this. So, care should be taken. They will come off, but may take sometime, especially if they have not been removed before. Keep pulling gently to get them off.

The MAP sensor is mounted at the right side of the rear bank. It ought to be removed before pulling out the Intake manifold. But accessing the screw that hold it on Intake manifold could be difficult. Best thing to do is simply unplug it and gently lift the intake manifold, while your eyes are on the rear side of the intake manifold. Because the MAP sensor is very close to the firewall. If it hits the firewal while lifting the manifold, it could break or crack.

The factory spark plug in ES9J4S is Bosch. The Peugeot part number is RP596060. The Bosch part number is FR8SPP332. So, if the spark plugs have not been replaced since the car was new, then you will find the Bosch FR8SPP332 in them. Notwithstanding, Peugeot recommended Platinum spark plugs for ES9J4S. Not that Copper plugs cannot work in the engine, but with the stress involve in bringing out the intake manifold to replace the rear spark plugs, no one would want to put sparks that have shorter lifespan, so that he wont like to go to the rear bank anytime soon. But there should be other platinum or Irridium sparks plugs that can do the job well too, other than the recommended one.

ES9J4S has individual 6 coil packs, unlike the ES9J4 engine (V6 engine in phase I 406) that has single coil pack. The ES9J4S factory coil pack brand was Sagem. It's refurbishable and also detachable. It has a diode where the two parts meet. The diode fail often. A Digital Multimeter would tell you if the diode is the culprit or not. If the diode is the cause of the failure, replacing the diode would bring the coil back to life. Also, the point/contacts where the two sides of the coil meet do corrode sometimes, which would make the coil non functional. Most times, scrapping off the residue on the contacts will bring back life to them. Meaning, the coil pack will last the entire lifespan of the engine, as long as it's refurbished whenever it corrodes or diode fails. Unfortunately, the task involved in removing the intake manifold to access the 3 rear coil packs when any one of them fails, doesn't make it easy for owners to keep to the refurbish thing. So, nearly every ES9J4S owners have replaced their coil packs, especially the 3 at the rear bank, with Delphi brand. The Delphi brand, so far, appears to be indestructible. Am yet to see, hear or read any ES9J4S owner complained of Delphi coil pack failure in his ES9J4S. Unfortunately, if it fails (since it's man-made), it will have to be replaced, since it's not refurbishable, because its not detachable. But at least, it last more than 100,000 km. The Delphi Coil has white top, while the Sagem has black top. So, if you find the Sagem black top coil packs at the rear bank, you will need to advice the owner to use the opportunity that the intake manifold is out and replace the 3 rear coil packs to Delphi brand. He/she can use the Sagem brand on the front bank, since they will be easily accessed.

Attached pictures below may help you to understand all explained above. I took them when i replaced my ES9J4S 6 spark plugs sometime this year, 2013.

Loosing the seven 10mm bolt on the ES9J4S Intake Manifold (note the intake tube on the left)

The Intake Manifold out

Rear side of Intake Manifold. (Note the MAP sensor & the bolt that supports Inatke manifold i mentioned earlier).

The ES9J4S MTB (Motorised Throttle Body) on the Intake Manifold

The individual Delphi Coil packs. (Note the white top).

The ES9J4S Intake Manifold underside. The Manifold seal is gummed to the 6 holes on the Intake Manifold, not on the cylinder head holes.

Intake Manifold about to be re-mounted.

Replacement of the ES9J4S spark plugs done. Everything back in shape.

I hope you find the above helpful.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:03pm On Dec 24, 2013
I forgot to add. The Delphi coil pack for ES9J4S cost 7k here in Abuja. I don't know about UK, though.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 24, 2013
Wow, Ikenna. Thanks for your very detailed write-up. It's been a while since I even looked at an ES9J4S.

Not too bad a job though - on the Toyota Highlander V6, the engine torque restrictor as well as the front engine mount had to come off, as there is a brace supporting the intake to the cylinder block. The bolt is right up against the firewall. Engine had to be tilted forwards.

*Gulp*
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Smoothcriminal: 11:06pm On Dec 24, 2013
God bless u ikenna. And happy holidays
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:40am On Dec 25, 2013
To everyone in the house,

Merry Christmas, to your family and loved ones.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 8:23pm On Dec 25, 2013
Travelled to Jos for the holidays with my 406 ew7. cool drive for most part of the journey, blessing my choice of a manual drive. Met my albatross just before Forest when on high speed a team of goats entered the high way. Not wanting to brake abruptly for fear of the cars behind me , I slowed down considerable but still ran over one of them. I continued my trip without stopping not wanting any local trouble from villagers who wont understand anything about highway regulations. I stopped at Forest to buy some fruits for my folks and after about 5mins, was greeted by an alarm with the Instrument panel reading COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH. I immediately took off for some yards and parked. I called Ikenna and told him what was happening and after a lot of questions , he asked if my fan was working and only then did I realise that the impact with the goat had affected my fan. on Ikenna's advised I ensured I maintained a speed of not less than 80km per hour which landed me home and try with some scares during brief hold ups.
D next day I managed the car to a Peugeot Electrician and against all my fears of replacing my car fan, I ended up replacing only a fuse and my car fan got rolling.

@ Ikenna, the fuse that got burned as you would see in the pictures beneath was marked 40, while the one the Electritian used to replaced was marked 50. when i asked him he insisted it didnt matter but av learnt not to take all the dish out...

My Lesson Learned: Always stop to check your car if you ever run over an animal on the high way , but pls give youself and the villagers some distance.
pics below

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:59am On Dec 26, 2013
wisesystem: Travelled to Jos for the holidays with my 406 ew7. cool drive for most part of the journey, blessing my choice of a manual drive. Met my albatross just before Forest when on high speed a team of goats entered the high way. Not wanting to brake abruptly for fear of the cars behind me , I slowed down considerable but still ran over one of them. I continued my trip without stopping not wanting any local trouble from villagers who wont understand anything about highway regulations. I stopped at Forest to buy some fruits for my folks and after about 5mins, was greeted by an alarm with the Instrument panel reading COOLANT TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH. I immediately took off for some yards and parked. I called Ikenna and told him what was happening and after a lot of questions , he asked if my fan was working and only then did I realise that the impact with the goat had affected my fan. on Ikenna's advised I ensured I maintained a speed of not less than 80km per hour which landed me home and try with some scares during brief hold ups.
D next day I managed the car to a Peugeot Electrician and against all my fears of replacing my car fan, I ended up replacing only a fuse and my car fan got rolling.

@ Ikenna, the fuse that got burned as you would see in the pictures beneath was marked 40, while the one the Electritian used to replaced was marked 50. when i asked him he insisted it didnt matter but av learnt not to take all the dish out...

My Lesson Learned: Always stop to check your car if you ever run over an animal on the high way , but pls give youself and the villagers some distance.
pics below

I believe the fuse is located in the BSM, right? You can always get fuse you want from Peugeot used parts shops or even from the new ones.

You were so lucky that your right fog light was intact. Judging from the number plate, one could tell which side that hit the goat. A set of D9 Fog lights cost between 15-25k, depending on the grade (follow come). Unfortunately, they sell them in pairs, not single.

We thank God for everything.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by segzyndpep(m): 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2013
Pls my 407 fan has problem I decided to change it but when I change it I realise after I off d engine d fan continue working

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.