Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,746 members, 7,889,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:23 AM

Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard (20207 Views)

Mikel Is Part Of Our Problem – Chelsea’s Club Legend Reveals / Why Keeping John Obi Mikel Is Chelsea’s Best Transfer Move So Far This Summer / Mikel Is 7th Best Paid African Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ukpaku: 9:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

God BLESS you for giving us those old memories of the GREAT mikel back in 2005 . That Mikel was light years ahead of this Mikel , He played elegantly back then and could shuttle between the center midfield and defensive midfield role until the defensive control freak called Mourinho brought him to Chelsea and destroyed his Career . Had Mikel signed for a team that encourages creative football like Bayern , Barcelona , AC Milan or even Arsenal he would have been THE BEST at the CMF / DMF role he plays . Take a look at how A.song has improved under Wenger .
mikel played well in dat tournament but was he a goal scorer in that competition,i mean did he score any goal den?
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by hyelhira: 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mikel is not appreciated now because he has 'over-goofed' in the past. If at 25 he is just learning to be a good team , when will he become a great, fantastic player? undecided

Oshisco lipsrsealed
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by eldoc2003(m): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2012
[quote author=ogaemma]The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.[/quot

How many goals did Makalele score as a Chelsea player? u just d run mouth
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ddippset(m): 10:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
lets assess mikel this way; to determine how good he is. Compare him to the defensive midfielders of the top clubs. Busquets, mascherano, alonso, khedira, carrick, fletcher, song, barry, de jong, yaya tuore, etc, etc. so again, how good is mikel?
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Lordave: 10:32pm On Jul 30, 2012
semid4lyfe:

YES. . .he played some great footie towards the latter stages of last season but I'll never use the word brilliant to qualify Mikel as a player. BRILLIANT was Makalele (at Chelsea)

Question is, is Mikel the only player playing this "underrated" position in football?

If other players playing exactly his role score goals, why shouldn't he?

VERY TRUE. . .and I couldn't agree more. In fact, it's what he does best.

[i]FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting the ball from the back four, holding on to it & keeping possession and making short passes.

All in all, Lampard is just being a good team mate. grin
Bros u fit trap ball?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ddippset(m): 10:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
i think mikel is a very good player really. i mean in that tournament in 2005 even though messi won the golden ball i thought mikel was better. those wey sabi football know say skill nor de die for body. its not an excuse that he is a defensive midfielder. he has to take risks sometimes, drift forward and have someone cover him, be adventurous, make occassional runs and dribbles like essien does, like mascherano, like busquets, like song, like alonso, etc. i just think he's too scared of making errors, hence his frequent side and back short passes. its like he's scared of lampard, terry, drogba and co.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by boyendowed(m): 10:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
phreakabit: Yorubas already derailing the thread. . . Stay in the mud filled puddle, I am cool being in the infinity pool, not going to join y'all this time. BTW nice one Frank Lampard. #Kudos!

How did Yorubas derail the thread?Leave tribalism out of this and discuss the issues
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by BizBooks(m): 11:00pm On Jul 30, 2012
With Mikel's performance for Chelsea this past season, one would have expected the naysayers
to take a break. But it looks like that won't happen. Lampard is one player who understands
the value of Mikel to Chelsea. I can't remember how many times Mikel has given Lampard a
pass that resulted in a Chelsea goal. For those who do not follow Chelsea, here's one example
from the 2012 FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Liverpool. Note how Mikel initiated the move
that resulted in the second goal.

Understandably Drogba took all the credit for scoring the goal. But real Chelsea followers
appreciate all the role players that make the goals happen including Mikel.

These pictures are from a recent thread on Mikel and are captioned for easy identification.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by BizBooks(m): 11:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
Pic:

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Rossikk(m): 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
shymmex: Chelsea killed his game.

KPOM
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by KINGwax(m): 11:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

God BLESS you for giving us those old memories of the GREAT mikel back in 2005 . That Mikel was light years ahead of this Mikel , He played elegantly back then and could shuttle between the center midfield and defensive midfield role until the defensive control freak called Mourinho brought him to Chelsea and destroyed his Career . Had Mikel signed for a team that encourages creative football like Bayern , Barcelona , AC Milan or even Arsenal he would have been THE BEST at the CMF / DMF role he plays . Take a look at how A.song has improved under Wenger .
congratulations! U can go now. Thank you
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2012
@phreakabit, dnt piss me off
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by KINGwax(m): 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
Funny enough people seem to have forgotten that back then in the YWC even at the Nations cup , Mikel didn't play the role of DMF , he plays as a CMF and was supposed to be the successor to Okocha's spot in the national team . DMF isn't his natural position .
central midfielder? At ywc? Is he not playin as an offensive midfielder? Shut up dude!
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by hardeyincah(m): 11:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
semid4lyfe:

YES. . .he played some great footie towards the latter stages of last season but I'll never use the word brilliant to qualify Mikel as a player. BRILLIANT was Makalele (at Chelsea)

Question is, is Mikel the only player playing this "underrated" position in football?

If other players playing exactly his role score goals, why shouldn't he?

VERY TRUE. . .and I couldn't agree more. In fact, it's what he does best.

[i]FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting the ball from the back four, holding on to it & keeping possession and making short passes.

All in all, Lampard is just being a good team mate. grin
its so clear and glaring that u are ANTI MIKEL..... Na bad belle go kill u
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
Most of the people commenting here know very little about football.

When Makele left Real Madrid, the club's president said, "Makelele isn't really a fantastic player, he doesn't score goals, he makes only sideways and back passes, he will never be missed". When he left Madrid suffered for about 7 years before the advent of Mourinho. Zidane and McManaman who were Makelele's team mates rebuked the president statement. Zidane said "Claude is Madrid's best player, he is underrated, without him we will concede many goals and lose possession to our opponent in most of our matches". When Makelele landed at Chelsea he got a regular shirt, was an important part of the team and scored only two goals(Mikel has scored two goals) in 6 seasons. When Mikel arrived at Chelsea, Mourinho called him the future Makelele.

go to wikipedia and read about makelele, thats where I got my analysis from.

Mikel since arrival has been an important part of the team. When Ballack and Deco where around he started many matches leaving Essien on the bench

Meireles sits on the bench to watch mikel play

When Mikel is playing, chelsea have higher possession of the ball.

When everyone is gone to search for goals, he stays at the back to protect any counter.

Playing in the defensive midfield, the player might not make any tackle but his presence at that position disorganises the opponent from launching attack, they just take the ball back. Just standing in the defensive midfield jugging around is a lot of work even without making any tackle

Mikel is not timid, he plays with confidence, you think he does because you expect too much of him, and if he cant meet up to your expectation you think he his scared. He is not staying back because he's scared but because he knows thats the best way to play his football.

On many occasion, chelsea conceded goals, lost matches and possession after Mikel has been subtituted

If Mikel is not good he wont be receiving 110k pound sterling(owo iya charlie) per week, thats about 30 million nigerian naira compared to Song's 50k weekly. He should have been sold. He shouldn't make the first team. He should be on the bench 90 percent of the time. He wouldn't have played the semi final matches against Barcelona and the final in Munich. We should be reading his coach's complaint of him in the newspaper and the internet.

The last time I checked the Chelsea website, I saw Chelsea standard formation on the home page, only eleven players where there, guess what, Mikel is there.

Chelsea is one of biggest and best clubs under the milky-way, and our man has made it to the first team, and you say he's not good. Go have a re-think.

10 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Sike(m): 11:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
Whether you like it, whether you don't like it, Mikel is and will always be a BRILLIANT PLAYER IN CHELSEA JERSEY. Take it or leave it. Am Outttttt!!!
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by AndreUweh(m): 11:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
Where is 1025 when we need him. May be NEPA has done its worst in his area.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by yemmy19(m): 11:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné: I th ;Dink a committee should be set up to help look into why Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders \
Ąße̶̲̥̅̊G̶̲̥̅ no b Jolantan get Chelsea Õoooº°˚ ˚°º
Mikel cannot improve in his playing style,he is just an opportunist
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Joowilliams: 11:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
ogaemma: The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.
scoring shoes of Makalele Makalele has no scoring shoes! Infact, he left his shooting boots at home when he was playing for chelsea.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by hardeyincah(m): 11:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
BizBooks: With Mikel's performance for Chelsea this past season, one would have expected the naysayers
to take a break. But it looks like that won't happen. Lampard is one player who understands
the value of Mikel to Chelsea. I can't remember how many times Mikel has given Lampard a
pass that resulted in a Chelsea goal. For those who do not follow Chelsea, here's one example
from the 2012 FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Liverpool. Note how Mikel initiated the move
that resulted in the second goal.

Understandably Drogba took all the credit for scoring the goal. But real Chelsea followers
appreciate all the role players that make the goals happen including Mikel.

These pictures are from a recent thread on Mikel and are captioned for easy identification.
only few people watch football and say thre truth without bin centimental, all ANTI MIKEL are just bin Jealous cos he first them(ARSENAL) to win the champions league..
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by playboy19(m): 11:52pm On Jul 30, 2012
Too many kids with little or no understanding of football. As a United fan, i can tell you the only thing United is lacking right now is Mikel. Let chelsea put him on the market right now (thank God he's just 25) and see if SAF will not pick him up without a second thought. This guy does not even need to score. Football is a team game. It requires role playing. Long as you play your role, fvck every other thing. And for the record, Mikel was never a DMF, he started out as a CMF and was converted to a DMF when he joined Chelsea. And yea, Mikel is not good, yet he was never up for sale.

I remember i once saw one of his interviews, he said he always would want to make offensive moves but all Chelsea's coaches except Di Matteo would always say "Don't even try it". So when your coach tell you not to even try going to the front, then what can you really do? Please somebody tell me who doesn't like to score? Who gave Ivanovic, Terry and A. Cole the gut to move offensively? Mikel, ofcourse. How? Cos they are sure they have someone to cover up for them at the back. His role is a very critical one. He is the heart of the whole match. I'm sure y'all can't put a non-entity in charge of your heart, can you? In summary, football is not all about goals.

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 31, 2012
playboy19: Too many kids with little or no understanding of football. As a United fan, i can tell you the only thing United is lacking right now is Mikel. Let chelsea put him on the market right now (thank God he's just 25) and see if SAF will not pick him up without a second thought. This guy does not even need to score. Football is a team game. It requires role playing. Long as you play your role, fvck every other thing. And for the record, Mikel was never a DMF, he started out as a CMF and was converted to a DMF when he joined Chelsea. And yea, Mikel is not good, yet he was never up for sale.

I remember i once saw one of his interviews, he said he always would want to make offensive moves but all Chelsea's coaches except Di Matteo would always say "Don't even try it". So when your coach tell you not to even try going to the front, then what can you really do? Please somebody tell me who doesn't like to score? Who gave Ivanovic, Terry and A. Cole the gut to move offensively? Mikel, ofcourse. How? Cos they are sure they have someone to cover up for them at the back. His role is a very critical one. He is the heart of the whole match. I'm sure y'all can't put a non-entity in charge of your heart, can you? In summary, football is not all about goals.

I thought I was the only one who thinks this way. I even thought I was the only one who can analize footy this much.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by jaymyk(m): 12:03am On Jul 31, 2012
Mikel is a valuable player. He might not b scorin goals but he adds support 2 d defence. As well as control d midfield wen there seems 2 b 2 much pressure frm opposin teams. Remember 2007 FA cup final? Mikel single-handedly held d midfield and...
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Tisa: 12:05am On Jul 31, 2012
Mikel is the reason I hate mourinho as a coach. He bought mikel then with the sole aim of ruining his game. I still can comprehend the wisdom in his decision to convert an attacking mid fielder (@ the height of his game back then as an 18yr old) to a defensive mid fielder. Back then during the transfer saga I said to my friends that Mikel will be making a big mistake if he dished man u for chelsea simply because sir alex has an impeccable record of nurturing youngsters to stardom but maybe money blinded Mikel and his manager and he crossed to chelsea.

Mikel was second only to Messi, the world always paused to watch Nigeria vs Argentina matches during the competitions the two countries played but today you can't even imagine comparing the two of them.

This saddens me and I will continue to hate mourinho for it. If u guys will recall even former coach amodu protested to eufa n fifa about mourinho's racist decision then.

It is well sha. Only GOD know the height Mikel wld ve been by now.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Detongue: 12:16am On Jul 31, 2012
Ejiné: I think a committee should be set up to help look into why Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders undecided

Another commitee will b set up to look into dat commitee, to b very sure
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by jaymyk(m): 12:40am On Jul 31, 2012
All those who thought Mikel shud have gone 2 Man U r makin a mistake. Ferguson doesn`t use african players. That is why man u seems 2 b consistent wen other clubs lose their players 2 d African Cup of Nations
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Ejix4(m): 12:56am On Jul 31, 2012
Chaydee: For once i've to agree wit Chelsea player, Mikel is doing pretty well in that team.. He's more like Carrick at Manutd, i know some people will slate me for this but Mikel has really step-up his game... The Un-sung Hero
But carrick dey score for man utd abi?
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 31, 2012
When it comes to mikel's issue u see people (critics) talking, hw many goals did mikel scored when rated second to messi? football is a team game, mikel is placed as a defender & he's really doing well, if converted he will still perform. wait a minute, what about chrisantus who was rated alongside bojan? . . . . .
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by playboy19(m): 1:18am On Jul 31, 2012
Tisa: Mikel is the reason I hate mourinho as a coach. He bought mikel then with the sole aim of ruining his game. I still can comprehend the wisdom in his decision to convert an attacking mid fielder (@ the height of his game back then as an 18yr old) to a defensive mid fielder. Back then during the transfer saga I said to my friends that Mikel will be making a big mistake if he dished man u for chelsea simply because sir alex has an impeccable record of nurturing youngsters to stardom but maybe money blinded Mikel and his manager and he crossed to chelsea.

Mikel was second only to Messi, the world always paused to watch Nigeria vs Argentina matches during the competitions the two countries played but today you can't even imagine comparing the two of them.

This saddens me and I will continue to hate mourinho for it. If u guys will recall even former coach amodu protested to eufa n fifa about mourinho's racist decision then.

It is well sha. Only GOD know the height Mikel wld ve been by now.

If you think converting him to a DMF was totally a bad idea, then you simply do not know what makes an individual player, in this case Mikel. Just incase you do not know Mikel very well, i will tell you one quality he has that 99% of all the players in this world does not have. Aside from his passing skills, Mikel has an impeccable stop-ability. Mikel can put his foot on the ball and no one will take the ball off under his foot. The best you can do is fall him, which will win him a foul. This is one of the things that makes a good DMF. And this was what Chelsea needed at the time and Mourinho was able to spot that. Infact, that was the first thing i spotted in him the first time i saw him play. And, right now... i believe he is doing well at that role.

Damn do you guy even know who a DMF is? A good DMF is the only reason your main striker could decide not to come and defend if he so desire. He could just stay all day with the opposing defenders, why? Cos his own defense is covered. You guys really need to understand the role but criticizing anyone playing in it.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by amanyi4u(m): 1:41am On Jul 31, 2012
You vomit what ever you've because ur club interest but the fact is Chelsea has destroy Mikel. In 2005 he was the best to me not even Messi but today he can't be man of the match. Is really sad. Essien, Carrick, Song all play in that position and score, he should do the same. Chelsea will get the best of him if he play CMF not DMF. Mikel will give them nothing from that so called DMF. The white will always put their own player in their right position even when players that can do better are available, they are only interested in killing our players
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Pahmed: 2:23am On Jul 31, 2012
ogaemma: The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.
if u are talking about makelele, i want to ask u... Hw many goals did he scored in his entire football career ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kenya Vs Nigeria: Five Things From The Match / Amaju Pinnick: Why NFF Decided To Sack Gernot Rohr / Lineups Released For The Nigeria Match Against Ghana: Your Thoughts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.