Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,529 members, 7,921,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 03:58 PM

Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard (20239 Views)

Mikel Is Part Of Our Problem – Chelsea’s Club Legend Reveals / Why Keeping John Obi Mikel Is Chelsea’s Best Transfer Move So Far This Summer / Mikel Is 7th Best Paid African Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Dremichaels(m): 2:30am On Jul 31, 2012
U people are comparing makelele with mikel in terms of goalscoring. These are d facts: makelele scored only 1goal for madrid, 2 for chelsea, 1 for psg. So tel me how makelele is a scoring midfielder?
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 31, 2012
Guys! have you seen mikel in pre-season though? he seems like he keeps getting better and better. now he is taking long shots on goal from outside the box oh! Wonders shall never cease shocked shocked wink in the Chelsea tour in America, he did one nice (barca style on the edge of the box) quick passing with his teammate lukaku but lukaku held the ball rather than release mikel to go for goal. Hopefully he will have confidence to take more shots in BIG premier league games against arsenal, tottenham, man city and united etc. I have to say that he is really giving effort to improve his game. I see him scoring approximately (or a little less than) 10 goals in the coming season if he gets enough starting-11 nominations

I am not the biggest mikel fan (but i support him because im nigerian too) and the guy is really really trying.

UP NAIJA grin grin
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by hardeyincah(m): 2:38am On Jul 31, 2012
playboy19: Too many kids with little or no understanding of football. As a United fan, i can tell you the only thing United is lacking right now is Mikel. Let chelsea put him on the market right now (thank God he's just 25) and see if SAF will not pick him up without a second thought. This guy does not even need to score. Football is a team game. It requires role playing. Long as you play your role, fvck every other thing. And for the record, Mikel was never a DMF, he started out as a CMF and was converted to a DMF when he joined Chelsea. And yea, Mikel is not good, yet he was never up for sale.

I remember i once saw one of his interviews, he said he always would want to make offensive moves but all Chelsea's coaches except Di Matteo would always say "Don't even try it". So when your coach tell you not to even try going to the front, then what can you really do? Please somebody tell me who doesn't like to score? Who gave Ivanovic, Terry and A. Cole the gut to move offensively? Mikel, ofcourse. How? Cos they are sure they have someone to cover up for them at the back. His role is a very critical one. He is the heart of the whole match. I'm sure y'all can't put a non-entity in charge of your heart, can you? In summary, football is not all about goals.

thank you; man of Wisdom.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Phrankve1(m): 2:38am On Jul 31, 2012
How many players from Nigeria has gone to a team for career reasons.Mikel has been playing for 7 years for a top team like Chelsea that could replace him in a twinkle of an eye,yet he still plays till date.So many player has come and go but Mikel is still playing at the top for Chelsea.

When you experience poverty, career wont be the first thing on your mind when an opportunity like playing for Chelsea is presented to you,even if you were converted from a striker role to a Goalkeeper.

Several managers that has managed Chelsea relied on Mikel. The experts claiming that they know alot about football on this forum,im wondering do they know more than these coaches,Director of football,Scouts,Chairman ,chiefs and co.

Yes we all wish he stuck to his role as an offensive midfielder ,but has it ever occurred to anyone ....

he might have played that role and still didn't come this far
maybe he playing as defensive player is a blessing in disguise ...

This guy is building a strong foundation for his generation,you guys are here criticizing him.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by McGeorge1(m): 3:41am On Jul 31, 2012
shymmex: Chelsea killed his game.
shut ur damn m**th! Pride killed his game. Some humans naturally hate discipline. Mtchew
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by McGeorge1(m): 3:54am On Jul 31, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

God BLESS you for giving us those old memories of the GREAT mikel back in 2005 . That Mikel was light years ahead of this Mikel , He played elegantly back then and could shuttle between the center midfield and defensive midfield role until the defensive control freak called Mourinho brought him to Chelsea and destroyed his Career . Had Mikel signed for a team that encourages creative football like Bayern , Barcelona , AC Milan or even Arsenal he would have been THE BEST at the CMF / DMF role he plays . Take a look at how A.song has improved under Wenger .
Did you just put arsenal on the list? Wenger don't value talents. He likes good players but never willing to pay for them. Didn't barcelona, bayern, arsenal nd the rest knew mikel was a good footballer after the AYC? You guys keep criticising mourinho for scouting this guy. If mikel was of good behaviour the moment he joined chelsea, he would have excelled and had more playing time.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:58am On Jul 31, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

God BLESS you for giving us those old memories of the GREAT mikel back in 2005 . That Mikel was light years ahead of this Mikel , He played elegantly back then and could shuttle between the center midfield and defensive midfield role until the defensive control freak called Mourinho brought him to Chelsea and destroyed his Career . Had Mikel signed for a team that encourages creative football like Bayern , Barcelona , AC Milan or even Arsenal he would have been THE BEST at the CMF / DMF role he plays . Take a look at how A.song has improved under Wenger .

I agree with you, Mikel actually played as a CMF while Sani Kaita played DMF. You can't blame Mikel. I am just Glad that Di Matteo is given Mikel more freedom to express himself. He is growing now.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:59am On Jul 31, 2012
ukpaku: mikel played well in dat tournament but was he a goal scorer in that competition,i mean did he score any goal den?

No but expressed himself creatively on a number of occasions. Scored a lovely goal in the U17 World Cup and also scored on his debut for the Super Eagles.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by kin007(m): 4:10am On Jul 31, 2012
ogaemma: The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.
how many goals did Makalele score for Chelsea that ūя̲̅ saying the man who played that role be4,hw many goal did he score?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:13am On Jul 31, 2012
didadavid:

I thought I was the only one who thinks this way. I even thought I was the only one who can analize footy this much.

There are many people who see football this way. Just like the FA Cup Final Chelsea won against Man Utd. It was Mikel's build up that lead to the Lampard - Drogba combination that got the winning Goal. Although Mikel is flourishing under Di Matteo (If you saw the Pre-season games, Mikel has been spectacular. His dribbling against PSG, jaw dropping), I still feel Mikel will do better if he is slotted back into the CMF position. Chelsea is missing a lot not playing him there.

Finally have any of you seen the new Lad Man City signed. Nir Biton, this kid reminds me of a young Mikel grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ataw6D0sBHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruJz1WoNLg

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by kin007(m): 4:17am On Jul 31, 2012
Believe it or not Mikel is one of the best,and in Chelsea we r ok with him.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:45am On Jul 31, 2012
Tisa: Mikel is the reason I hate mourinho as a coach. He bought mikel then with the sole aim of ruining his game. I still can comprehend the wisdom in his decision to convert an attacking mid fielder (@ the height of his game back then as an 18yr old) to a defensive mid fielder. Back then during the transfer saga I said to my friends that Mikel will be making a big mistake if he dished man u for chelsea simply because sir alex has an impeccable record of nurturing youngsters to stardom but maybe money blinded Mikel and his manager and he crossed to chelsea.

Mikel was second only to Messi, the world always paused to watch Nigeria vs Argentina matches during the competitions the two countries played but today you can't even imagine comparing the two of them.

This saddens me and I will continue to hate mourinho for it. If u guys will recall even former coach amodu protested to eufa n fifa about mourinho's racist decision then.

It is well sha. Only GOD know the height Mikel wld ve been by now.

Alex Ferguson got Anderson. The most promising Kid talent coming out of Brazil at that time (Anderson played the U17 World cup, the same year Mikel played the U20 WYC). Ronaldhino was dropped from the Copa America team and a young Anderson was giving the 10 Shirt. He played in the tourney and Brazil won it. In the U17 World Cup, Anderson was the MVP of that competition. He signed for Man utd and Ferguson turned an attacking Midfielder to a defensive midfielder and killed his talent.

Finally when Ferguson wanted to sign Mikel, he said he was going to turn Mikel to the next Roy Keane. That is playing Mikel as a defensive midfielder. So going to Man Utd wouldn't have helped his career. His best chance was going to France, Spain, Italy or Germany. Not the EPL that don't rely a lot on skill.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by phreakabit(m): 6:25am On Jul 31, 2012
thegoodjoehunt:

There are many people who see football this way. Just like the FA Cup Final Chelsea won against Man Utd. It was Mikel's build up that lead to the Lampard - Drogba combination that got the winning Goal. Although Mikel is flourishing under Di Matteo (If you saw the Pre-season games, Mikel has been spectacular. His dribbling against PSG, jaw dropping), I still feel Mikel will do better if he is slotted back into the CMF position. Chelsea is missing a lot not playing him there.

Finally have any of you seen the new Lad Man City signed. Nir Biton, this kid reminds me of a young Mikel grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ataw6D0sBHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruJz1WoNLg

Kid got talent. Quite reminiscent of a young Mikel Obi.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Gwazah(m): 6:47am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: Mikel is a good player in the wrong club Man U looks like it would have been a better option for his game.
i' m sure MAN U can not use a player lik mikel 4 a season, chelsea are only enduring
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Diligence: 6:55am On Jul 31, 2012
Mike is such a great and valuable player who has achieved quite a lot despite challenges that come wt football. That said, nigerians hv bn so hypnotised that they will 4eva remain cynical; it's their curse for being nigerians!
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by decogrin(m): 7:04am On Jul 31, 2012
By thee way,he's making his cool cash@his "POSITION' ãήϑ he doesn't give a hoot about it either....
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by plentykola(m): 7:33am On Jul 31, 2012
ogaemma: The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.
Bro makalele was not a scorer he only scored 2 goals 4 chelsea
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by mithel(m): 7:43am On Jul 31, 2012
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS TAIYE TAIWO WAS THIRD,WHERE IS HE TODAY?----oh,dynamo kiev

where are the players of that tournament??the Netherlands's john,babel? ...d south korea park chu young(came to the epl n cudnt even get a game)...d brazillians.

Even the argies wey beat us,apart from messi,which of them have won the ucl.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by pat077: 7:43am On Jul 31, 2012
if mikel is nt good, he won't have been a regular under seven managers in six seasons.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by phaya(f): 8:08am On Jul 31, 2012
semid4lyfe:

YES. . .he played some great footie towards the latter stages of last season but I'll never use the word brilliant to qualify Mikel as a player. BRILLIANT was Makalele (at Chelsea)

Question is, is Mikel the only player playing this "underrated" position in football?

If other players playing exactly his role score goals, why shouldn't he?

VERY TRUE. . .and I couldn't agree more. In fact, it's what he does best.

[i]FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting the ball from the back four, holding on to it & keeping possession and making short passes.

All in all, Lampard is just being a good team mate. grin

Guy why u con take this thing personal na? Brilliant maybe No but a great player Yes he is! He is ur fellow brother be supportive smiley
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by surgicalblade: 8:47am On Jul 31, 2012
aribisala0: Mikel is a good player in the wrong club Man U looks like it would have been a better option for his game.
thank you] good player+rong team+rong time=bad game]bad player+good team+good coatch+right time=good game
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by dyabman(m): 8:50am On Jul 31, 2012
some people are just been silly and simple-minded , so if mikel had played his preferred role as a CMD ,are you telling me he would give chelsea what we needed by going forward in this EPL we all know ? because he came 2nd to lionel messi in the WYC does that mean if he played that role he will also flourish like messi hes doing now by winning numerous awards ? N.O NO, i don't think he has won any personal award at chelsea even new boy ramirez won players player of the year award..

Lampard was on rum grin
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by MacLovington(m): 8:51am On Jul 31, 2012
Fact is the world loves very expressive, explosive players (no matter the position they play in) like Yaya Toure, Messi, Vieira, Okocha because they give us that entertainment and special moments that lead to goals. These stick in our memories.

We seem to appreciate less the solid, confident and assured performance of DMFs but that's usually where games are won and lost. People praise Rooney when he scores 1 goal even if he barely touched the ball for 30 minutes but only few mention Carrick who slaves away throughout the game.

Tisa: Mikel is the reason I hate mourinho as a coach. He bought mikel then with the sole aim of ruining his game. I still can comprehend the wisdom in his decision to convert an attacking mid fielder (@ the height of his game back then as an 18yr old) to a defensive mid fielder. Back then during the transfer saga I said to my friends that Mikel will be making a big mistake if he dished man u for chelsea simply because sir alex has an impeccable record of nurturing youngsters to stardom but maybe money blinded Mikel and his manager and he crossed to chelsea.

Mikel was second only to Messi, the world always paused to watch Nigeria vs Argentina matches during the competitions the two countries played but today you can't even imagine comparing the two of them.

This saddens me and I will continue to hate mourinho for it. If u guys will recall even former coach amodu protested to eufa n fifa about mourinho's racist decision then.

It is well sha. Only GOD know the height Mikel wld ve been by now.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 31, 2012
Life is just full of irony. I spoke with a Ghanaian, he told me they so much hate Essien in their country and love Mikel so much. My cousin confirmed it when he travelled to Ghana.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Arnoldo(m): 9:15am On Jul 31, 2012
Emylexray: mikel...improve! Enough of your shot fear-driven passes. Michael essien plays in thesame position and he does wonders for chelsea. Is it a crime if you score?..overall, i think mikel needs to step up his game .
did we win any of d games essien featured in last season? Why is mikel benching essien and romeu...
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Arnoldo(m): 9:17am On Jul 31, 2012
Dremichaels: U people are comparing makelele with mikel in terms of goalscoring. These are d facts: makelele scored only 1goal for madrid, 2 for chelsea, 1 for psg. So tel me how makelele is a scoring midfielder?
thank you bro,let dem continue talking trash..why didnt abrahamovich sell him or let him go like kalou nd co
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Arnoldo(m): 9:24am On Jul 31, 2012
kin007: how many goals did Makalele score for Chelsea that ūя̲̅ saying the man who played that role be4,hw many goal did he score?
makele scored 2 goals in over 100 matches. Wat trash ar u talking...mikel was the 7th bal passer last season
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Saintsquare(m): 9:39am On Jul 31, 2012
All of u shoutin Essien is playing better in the same role as mikel,where was he @d semi final and final of UCL?.Essien's gra gra way of playin is outdated.Essien and Romeu culdin hold d midfield against Liverpool last season resulting to 4 1 defeat cos mikel was rested for barcelona game.If mikel aint gud enuff,kindly switch to another channel,abi na by force.Mikel haters were happy wen AVB droppd him on d bench,but the haters got mad wen Mikel was playin brilliantly afterwards and prefer to pull there frustration on d internet weneva Mikel name appears.

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by daviesmania(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2012
Mikel traded his talent 4 money de day he joined chelsea, 4uck mikel, 4uck lampard, 4uck chelsea.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Akposkool(m): 9:50am On Jul 31, 2012
Emylexray: mikel...improve! Enough of your shot fear-driven passes. Michael essien plays in thesame position and he does wonders for chelsea. Is it a crime if you score?..overall, i think mikel needs to step up his game .
.this speaks volume of hw stupid you really are.mikel benched essien throughout last season.the only wonders essien did was commiting needless penalties n scoring own goals,while mikel was busy keeping top stars like messi and robben at bay.go check ur facts.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Akposkool(m): 9:54am On Jul 31, 2012
Arnoldo: makele scored 2 goals in over 100 matches. Wat trash ar u talking...mikel was the 7th bal passer last season
abeg tell those gays for me
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by mikeywise(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2012
daviesmania: Mikel traded his talent 4 money de day he joined chelsea, 4uck mikel, 4uck lampard, 4uck chelsea.
E DEY PAIN U? ABEG BACKFLIP ENTER CANAL.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian League Best 11 Of All Time. / Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali: AFCON 2015 Group D / Nigeria Escapes FIFA Ban As Court Dismisses Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.