Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,469 members, 7,888,466 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:28 AM

Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria (9894 Views)

Ndi -igbo Have Turned Their Selves To Object Of National Ridicule. / Buhari’s Delay In Making Appointments Exposing Us To Ridicule-apc Chieftain / A Buhari Presidency Would Ridicule Nigeria –duke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by apala911: 11:18am On Aug 15, 2012
Mohammed Dahiru Aminu: Why Nigerians ridicule Nigeria

Yesterday someone asked me why Nigerians ridicule Nigeria insomuch that folks have decided to name the now good-for-nothing Nigerian Olympic athletes with such names as “rubber”, “wood” and “plastic” medalists; since they couldn’t win gold, silver or bronze.

The simple answer to that question is that for most Nigerians, Nigeria does not exist. Granted, the physical mien called Nigeria may be practically perceptible, the government that drives Nigeria is apparently anonymous and wanting.

Most Nigerians feel it is not binding upon them to “give back” to a country that they have not “taken” from. Many Nigerians feel they were born in a country that is completely putrid. For example, the paroxysm of angst that frustrates Nigerians due to electricity scarcity in the country has haunted our national psyche for years.

Many Nigerians never lived in a Nigeria that boast of round-the-clock electricity. Many Nigerians do not know how it feels like to travel in Nigeria with a minimum road traffic discomfort. Many Nigerians do not know how it feels like to live in a house un-caged; without (what Nigerians call) “burglar-proof” windows, thanks to the insecurity.

Young Nigerians do not know how it feels like to attend a university without university strikes. The examples are endless. But the point I seek to make is that too many a Nigerian have never lived the life of their dream; a life in absolute tranquility. Most Nigerians harbor a life that is spent in the constant fear of what it is like to live in an atmosphere of terror, not knowing who or what will strike next.

Quintessentially, young Nigerians have never felt the presence of a government; they usually owe their significant and trivial successes to the individual and collective sacrifices of family and friends.

But let us look at the other side of the coin: in a country like America and other serious nations, an individual starts to benefit from the government right from infancy: you’re given a free and compulsory good quality education, and you are constantly reminded that with hard work and perseverance, a better future awaits.

I have seen a sick, bedridden American whose last words on earth were that he was proud to be American. I do not know any up-and-doing (perhaps the opposite of bedridden?) Nigerian who maintains that he is proud to be Nigerian!

Because they are grateful to their country, many Americans willfully keep US flags and other statist symbols in their homes so that these icons can constantly remind them of what they owe their country: gratitude.

I have never in my life seen a Nigerian flag in the private residence of any Nigerian. According to the grapevine, Nigerians do not feel they owe anything to their country and/or government, no wonder they exhibit a persistent disconnect between them and the symbols of their country, Nigeria.

Until the Nigerian people start to feel the presence of a government in the delicate phases of their personal lives, they will not only stop at ridicule, they’ll always cling to narrow parochial interests before sovereign national interests.

In brusqueness, Nigerian leaders are known to always cast disparaging remarks on Nigerians, whom they claim, do not have faith in them. Who will tell them that faith is not entirely a self-colored affair? Who will tell them that the citizenry of Nigeria like other citizenries the world over can only be devoted to that which is devoted to their personal causes?
http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/08/14/mohammed-dahiru-aminu-why-nigerians-ridicule-nigeria/

19 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KiKatanga: 11:37am On Aug 15, 2012
Some Nigerians ridicule Nigeria in the hope people will see its failings and address them.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
I disagree with the writer's view.And I don't believe it is the case that those who ridicule the country are in the majority. However, much of what is said is true. . . did the Olympic team come back empty handed? Of course!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Dede1(m): 1:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Few Nigerians ridicule Nigeria because the country is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Player01(m): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nice piece, beautifully written. Nigeria has done nothing for most of us - except for the the 'lucky' ones whose progenitors found themselves in governments.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by sylve11: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Well written! cool
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
The writer just captured everything.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nigerians ridicule Nigeria because they believe it's their God given right to do so; a non-Nigerian ridiculing Nigeria is another matter entirely!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by micklplus(m): 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
Very well written article!
You constantly hear something like " God bless America"! I seldomly hear "God bless Nigeria" The truth can't be far fetched and according to the article, what has Nigeria done for Nigerians? Except for the "chosen" few, how many Nigerians have gained from the project Nigeria? While I toil for Naija, is naija toiling for me?

Naijas would start doing everything for Naija when the country and the leaders are ready to toil and give back to us.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 15, 2012
Isn't NIGERIA A JOKE? A CRUEL ONE AT THAT?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by SlyIg(f): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
If we were to take everything about this country so serious,that means most of us would have high blood pressure. Its better we take things so light and free ridiculously.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by yommy2sure(m): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
so on point! If only 'they' can give us electricity for a start.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by proflangdon(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hmmm... There are many reasons why Nigerians ridicule Nigeria.

No matter what anyone says, I believe that one of the main reasons is because of the leaders. Okay, let's take a look at the just concluded London Olympics. Most people shout that, "Nigerian athletes are useless! Nigeria is a shame!"

Now, I want you to check something. During our Olympics, did you see the son or daughter of any well-acclaimed "big man" in our country sweating to make us proud? Did you see the child of any politician there? Have they finished swimming in their luxurious pools or have they finished throwing parties that cost millions?

I watched the Olympic Games and, I must confess, the athletes tried alot. In the track events, boxing, table tennis, weight lifting, Nigerian athletes really tried.
The big men in this country are the ones in charge of building sporting centers in this country. But, instead, they pocket the money for their own personal use.

I saw alot of games that I've never seen before, and I asked myself, "Why didn't Nigeria qualify for these games?"
The answer is clear: we don't have sporting facilities in the country!! We don't even have standard football stadia in this country!! Those that are ridiculing Nigeria with respect to the just concluded Olympic Games should check again. If given the chance, without the proper facilities, training, and preparation, would you have won any medal for our country

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kobojunkie: I disagree with the writer's view.And I don't believe it is the case that those who ridicule the country are in the majority. However, much of what is said is true. . . did the Olympic team come back empty handed? Of course!

Nope. Those who ridicule the country are in the majority. Both government officials and common citizens. Most ridicule the country by their actions, and/or inaction. It's undeniable.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
Simply put, Nigeria is a god-awful place to live.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by sessydoo(m): 4:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
My heart bleeds for a nation so much blessed with human and natural resources but cursed with bad leadership. Successive govts have plundered and looted our collective resources for their personal aggradisement and for their unborn generation to squander and waste. Why should i be proud of a country that has killed my friends, my family and neighbours on those death traps we call roads due to their yrs of negligence? or a family member dat had died in those dilapitated and ill-equipped shanties we call hospitals? Why cant we have unemployment benefit in Nig....? bc they see it as a luxury. The masses should be kept in bondage and perpetual poverty, in that way we can control and manipulate them for our selfish gain. The crimes of these rogues we call leaders are many and time is ticking.....God will surely raise a generation of people that would find their voice against the crime n injustice in the land. We are almost there by his grace

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by werepeLeri: 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
I have seen a sick, bedridden American whose last words on earth were that he was proud to be American. I do not know any up-and-doing (perhaps the opposite of bedridden?) Nigerian who maintains that he is proud to be Nigerian!

Lie - How many Nigerians have you met on their sick bed? How many Americans have you met on their sick bed? How many Nigerians have you asked if they love their country Nigeria?

I have never in my life seen a Nigerian flag in the private residence of any Nigerian. According to the grapevine, Nigerians do not feel they owe anything to their country and/or government, no wonder they exhibit a persistent disconnect between them and the symbols of their country, Nigeria.

How many Nigerian homes have you been to? Lie.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by umechuma: 4:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
I hate Nigeria with passion.Nigeria is among the most useless countries in the World.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
nice article writter. pls pass this article to the facebook and twitter pages of top Nigerian politicians. Most especially to the president of Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by proflangdon(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
Instead of ridiculing the country more, Nigerians should think of how to make it better... not to always blame the Government!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Dollarman101: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Player01: Nice piece, beautifully written. Nigeria has done nothing for most of us - except for the the 'lucky' ones whose progenitors found themselves in governments.
Shut up! Nigeria has not done anything for you but I'm sure you were born in our general hospitals, where almost everything is subsidised including ante natal. Inspite of all the criticism, teaching hospitals and federal medical centres remain the number one destination for health care delivery for a vast majority of Nigerians.
You must also have passed through our unity schools or graduated from any of our federal or state universities which is the most subsidized in the world. Make you take time to ask your friends schooling abroad, how much they pay as school fees. You use our airports including MMAI which is ranked top 10. You ply some good roads in Nigeria without paying taxes or tolls.

Govt subsidizes your electricity bills so that you can pay as low as N7.00 per Kwh. Google electricity tariffs in Uk or other advanced countries and see what Nigerian govts subsidies for you.
If you re from Niger Delta, you collect bursary from your state govts. While you grew up, your only window to knowledge and the world may have been NTA. Recall the educative programmes like sesame street, kiddies vision 101, tales by the moonlight. Is NTA a private Ghanian company?
Make una dey think before talking. We know say things never better but that one no suppose make us dey misyarn.

8 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Its so true! Sometime ago I was at Disney with a group of friends and family. While on the queue for one of the rides some man was chatting with my nephew (7) and family friends' daughter (cool. Next thing he asked them where they are from and when they said Nigeria he Said oh I heard that's a nice place.

To my surprise this 8yr old girl goes on to answer that Nigeria is a miserable place. Come and hear the silence...I felt like entering the ground. She went on to even say that if he comes to Nigeria he would suffer. The man gave an embarrassed laugh and said she didn't look like she was suffering. What surprised me even more was that when we left her Mother didn't even correct her! Rather she went on laugh about the incidence. Me sha,I explained to my Nephew that when you ridicle your country you are simply ridiculing yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by werepeLeri: 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
umechuma: I hate Nigeria with passion.Nigeria is among the most useless countries in the World.

So we should start crying?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by CeaserB: 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
In all honesty, I owe no apology to any yoruba or hausa man that sees this as tribalistic (To hell with that).
But one of Nigeria's major problems is the fact that these two tribes are still clinging to "ONE NIGERIA" for selfish reasons.
The south-south and south-easterners are living in bondage literally because the yorubas and hausas want to "bond" us together. Why not let these people go and prove to the world that you can develop without them?
There's no unity without love and no development without commitment.
Since these corrupt leaders won't let the Nation divide in peace, "This Experiment Called Nigeria Will Never Become A Working Theory"
Nigerians will never love each if they don't trust each other, it's evidently clear that the Biafran War didn't occur by mistake, even our children's children will grow up to see that Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo are three different kingdoms.
In my own words "Since The Days Of Major Kaduna Nzeogwu The Kingdom Of Nigeria Suffereth Violence And Only The Violent Ones Taketh It By Force."
- #CeaserSpeaks

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
"GOD BLESS NIGERIA"
******Do I believe that?******
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Bukkyade: 4:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
Dollarman101:
Shut up! Nigeria has not done anything for you but I'm sure you were born in our general hospitals, where almost everything is subsidised including ante natal. Inspite of all the criticism, teaching hospitals and federal medical centres remain the number one destination for health care delivery for a vast majority of Nigerians.
You must also have passed through our unity schools or graduated from any of our federal or state universities which is the most subsidized in the world. Make you take time to ask your friends schooling abroad, how much they pay as school fees. You use our airports including MMAI which is ranked top 10. You ply some good roads in Nigeria without paying taxes or tolls.

Govt subsidizes your electricity bills so that you can pay as low as N7.00 per Kwh. Google electricity tariffs in Uk or other advanced countries and see what Nigerian govts subsidies for you.
If you re from Niger Delta, you collect bursary from your state govts. While you grew up, your only window to knowledge and the world may have been NTA. Recall the educative programmes like sesame street, kiddies vision 101, tales by the moonlight. Is NTA a private Ghanian company?
Make una dey think before talking. We know say things never better but that one no suppose make us dey misyarn.
Seconded.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nigeria deserves every bit of ridicule - unfortunately the very rare few hard-working and optimistic ones who still have faith get disappointed by the very government they place their faith in cry

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by nomshu(m): 4:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
Yes of course the priveledged ones have realy done alot of damages. Beautifull write up!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Bukkyade: 4:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
umechuma: I hate Nigeria with passion.Nigeria is among the most useless countries in the World.
Nigeria also hates you. Your comment is amongst the most useless in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
God bless Nigeria! If we don't pray for our country, then, who will pray in our stead? It's better to pray for a scintillating turn around instead of ridiculling her. GOD bless Nigeria!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Tadup: 4:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kobojunkie: I disagree with the writer's view.And I don't believe it is the case that those who ridicule the country are in the majority. However, much of what is said is true. . . did the Olympic team come back empty handed? Of course!
other areas to look at are power, water, health care, security, agriculture, industries, education e.t.c
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by rakumiii(m): 4:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=18pt]NIGERIA IS A BIG FAT JOKE..........and everybody in the world knows this[/size]

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba In The Hands Of Gen Buhari When He Was The Head Of States / See How Olisa Metuh Looks In Prison (PIC) - Cramjones / Abdulsalami: Tinubu’s Govt Inherited Difficult Economy, Security Challenges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.