Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,494 members, 7,888,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:42 AM

Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria (9896 Views)

Ndi -igbo Have Turned Their Selves To Object Of National Ridicule. / Buhari’s Delay In Making Appointments Exposing Us To Ridicule-apc Chieftain / A Buhari Presidency Would Ridicule Nigeria –duke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 10:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
Kay-Dee:
[size=15pt] What do you do when there's really nothing to boast about and the failings of the government frustrates the hell out of the people?
Still love naija to da bone sha.
[/size]

sorry dude, but if you love Naija, then u re a masochist and there is absolutely nothing you hate
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
werepeLeri:

Its so appalling when you disagree with an issue on a public forum and dogs start to call you names because you dont share in their ill opinion. Rogues.

you call that thing u posted an opinion? What then is madness?
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by four4: 11:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
I'm a nigerian! I love nd proud of my country, nigeria may not have given me best of what I deserve as a nigerian but I ve no other place or other country that can be like home for now, this is the only home I ve that can be like home. I may not like what is going on in my country but that didn't give me reason to pulldown or ridicle my country, if I ridicle my country what will now be the different between me and those corrupt leaders ours??. America nd others developed nation didn't bcame great over night, they do go tru turbulent time of theirs and their citizen didn't just seating at home or going to internent passing blame like tipical nigerians during their tough time, all of them came together to force good change on their country. So why can't nigerians come 2gether and force good changes on our leaders?
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by etchel(m): 11:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
Nice 1
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by pato405(m): 11:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
jp philips:

you call that thing u posted an opinion? What then is madness?

I struggled so hard to resist commenting on this thread but i'm afraid i just cant contain that resistance any longer. grin grin grin grin grin in as much as you have very valid, incisive and percipient comments, i must say you come across like one lousy critic. you lace your criticisms with caustic aspersions. take it easy on that dude. who no go no know grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by flexdee(m): 12:02am On Aug 16, 2012
Do I have any reason to be proud as a Nigerian? HELL NO, a country that has not done anything for me. A country that doesn't care about her citizens and even though you've got a very big ambition, the so called rich people/politicians are still going to frustrate you through their selection policy. It is only in Nigeria that somebody who stole #2000 would be given 7yrs imprisonment while somebody who stole billions of Naira would be walking like a king without any trial. Our leaders doesn't give a damn bout declaration of their assets and yet they move around town with little or no respect for the rule of law and they expect the poor citizens to stay in their pocket. Majority of them send their wards abroad to study hence d decay in our education sector.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Godogwu: 12:37am On Aug 16, 2012
@OP This is a clearly a well written piece as it sheds light on the various places Nigerians feel downcast to be part of the country, nevertheless I would say this is a trying time for the country and frankly I detest it when people compare Nigeria to America. The fact is America is about four times older, more industralized and more developed than Nigeria. Nigeria is barely 52 years of age and we are bound to have problems, we cannot asin cannot be the perfect Nation as at now, No way!( just so people know... there's no perfect nation) ...please feel free to correct me if there's another country 52 years of age that is on the same level with the United Sates. Comparing both countries is like comparing a 40 year old man to a 12 year old boy and asking why the boy isn't as wise, as agile or as diligent as the man. I can and will never ridicule my Country ( I can comment on its problems but I can't write the country off) . Yes, Nigeria has problems; the educational sector isnt swell hence private schools, no sort of healthcare, electricity and security is not left out....but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day......you don't expect Nigeria to be as industralized as the US only after 52 years? Do you?, like is it magic? Each problem Nigeria faces as of today will be systematically dealt with in due time and that is for sure. I always say it....."Nigerian and PROUD!" and to me Nigeria is already blessed. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by ajf(m): 12:52am On Aug 16, 2012
SlyIg: If we were to take everything about this country so serious,that means most of us would have high blood pressure. Its better we take things so light and free ridiculously.
Abi o...
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Godogwu: 12:52am On Aug 16, 2012
jerseyboy: Nigeria is The Fig Tree. Cursed

Mark 11:12-14

Jesus Curses a Fig Tree

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”

Utter Rubbish!!

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Godogwu: 12:58am On Aug 16, 2012
BUSH MAN: nigeria is a big mistake, the british should have stayed a bit longer in nigeria and, continue ruling nigeria for another 50 years before independence

Is this sense?? .....so we would have another South Africa, with the white people at the top of the food chain....please
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37am On Aug 16, 2012
Use a  ? Add me on bbm. Pin: 29BBAF81. Interesting folks ONLY!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by chipet67(m): 6:10am On Aug 16, 2012
I just knw Nigeria as a piece of land in the western part of Africa. I don't know it as a country . Thanks .
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by nairamanforever: 7:12am On Aug 16, 2012
Let's be honest with ourselvves. Would Nigeria not be a better place today if the british stayed on
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by jpphilips(m): 7:55am On Aug 16, 2012
Godogwu: @OP This is a clearly a well written piece as it sheds light on the various places Nigerians feel downcast to be part of the country, nevertheless I would say this is a trying time for the country and frankly I detest it when people compare Nigeria to America. The fact is America is about four times older, more industralized and more developed than Nigeria. Nigeria is barely 52 years of age and we are bound to have problems, we cannot asin cannot be the perfect Nation as at now, No way!( just so people know... there's no perfect nation) ...please feel free to correct me if there's another country 52 years of age that is on the same level with the United Sates. Comparing both countries is like comparing a 40 year old man to a 12 year old boy and asking why the boy isn't as wise, as agile or as diligent as the man. I can and will never ridicule my Country ( I can comment on its problems but I can't write the country off) . Yes, Nigeria has problems; the educational sector isnt swell hence private schools, no sort of healthcare, electricity and security is not left out....but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day......you don't expect Nigeria to be as industralized as the US only after 52 years? Do you?, like is it magic? Each problem Nigeria faces as of today will be systematically dealt with in due time and that is for sure. I always say it....."Nigerian and PROUD!" and to me Nigeria is already blessed. cheesy

Now quickly compare Nigeria with countries less than 52yrs with same ecological and mineral endowments, ur findings may shock you.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by manbuchai: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2012
How can one be committed to such a corrupt country?In Europe immidiately a child is born the government takes part in some finacial responsibilty of the child.Every child is paid equivalent of N40.000 every month here,coupled with free education,unemployed guys are paid every month, etc.Now tell me why we should not be patriotic to such a country? If there is an external aggression to such a country i will whole heartedly pick up arms to defend her even if it entails sheding my own blood.If i have a chance i would not mind setting Nigeria ablaze,it is not worth it.Wicked folks!!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by OneNaira6: 8:54am On Aug 16, 2012
Answer to Question

1.) One of the highest in Corruption
2.) No light
3.) Barely decent Roads
4.) Arrogant Sons of B1tches that honestly do not realize the nation is behind many African nations thus the annoying term of "Giant of Africa" is an insult to many African nations
5.) One of the cities ranked the 3rd worst cities in the world; Ironically it is the one we constantly praise.
6.) Terrorism
7.) Human trafficking
8.) 419
9.) Ritualism
10.) Inability of graduates to get a job
11.) Terrible Health Care
12.) Terrible Education System

Should I continue?

What is there in Nigeria that we shouldn't ridicule? despite all our oil, Nigeria is a huge mess. Abeg lets call a spade a spade. Nigeria is a disgrace on the face of Africa. Even Ghana we kicked out few years ago is above us in many aspect. Nigerians should hide our heads in shame, we should be hiding our heads in shame.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by kutchs: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2012
Everyone is out here blaming the leaders for the country woes as if the leaders were some alien personnel from Mars. These so called leaders who get all the blames are Nigerians infact ordinary Nigerians b4 becoming leaders. Dimeji Bankole, Bode George, Lawan Farook, Boniface Emenalo etc were all ordinary Nigerians like us and am sure they made as much noise if not more than we are doing now but did they change anything upon becoming leaders? NO. We followers are not as innocent and blameless as we present ourselves, the ministry clerk who demands settlement b4 he can move a file is an ordinary Nigerian, the student who refuses to study for an exam is an ordinary Nigerain even the lecturer who demands sexual and monetary gratification b4 a student can pass is an ordianry Nigerian. The VC, Rector, Provost, Principal and headmaster who embezzles money meant for his school‘s development is an ordinary Nigerian. Who do the leaders use to perpetrate their corrupt acts? Ordianry Nigerians. What the hell are we talking about. Quit the blame game and take responsibility for the poor state of the country cos we all involved.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by manbuchai: 9:44am On Aug 16, 2012
Godogwu: @OP This is a clearly a well written piece as it sheds light on the various places Nigerians feel downcast to be part of the country, nevertheless I would say this is a trying time for the country and frankly I detest it when people compare Nigeria to America. The fact is America is about four times older, more industralized and more developed than Nigeria. Nigeria is barely 52 years of age and we are bound to have problems, we cannot asin cannot be the perfect Nation as at now, No way!( just so people know... there's no perfect nation) ...please feel free to correct me if there's another country 52 years of age that is on the same level with the United Sates. Comparing both countries is like comparing a 40 year old man to a 12 year old boy and asking why the boy isn't as wise, as agile or as diligent as the man. I can and will never ridicule my Country ( I can comment on its problems but I can't write the country off) . Yes, Nigeria has problems; the educational sector isnt swell hence private schools, no sort of healthcare, electricity and security is not left out....but hey, Rome wasn't built in a day......you don't expect Nigeria to be as industralized as the US only after 52 years? Do you?, like is it magic? Each problem Nigeria faces as of today will be systematically dealt with in due time and that is for sure. I always say it....."Nigerian and PROUD!" and to me Nigeria is already blessed. cheesy

With all the natural resources available Nigeria is supposed to compet with most western economies,it is a reality.We did absolutely nothing with the natural resources at our disposal.Stop making excuses for failure.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by manbuchai: 9:52am On Aug 16, 2012
kutchs: Everyone is out here blaming the leaders for the country woes as if the leaders were some alien personnel from Mars. These so called leaders who get all the blames are Nigerians infact ordinary Nigerians b4 becoming leaders. Dimeji Bankole, Bode George, Lawan Farook, Boniface Emenalo etc were all ordinary Nigerians like us and am sure they made as much noise if not more than we are doing now but did they change anything upon becoming leaders? NO. We followers are not as innocent and blameless as we present ourselves, the ministry clerk who demands settlement b4 he can move a file is an ordinary Nigerian, the student who refuses to study for an exam is an ordinary Nigerain even the lecturer who demands sexual and monetary gratification b4 a student can pass is an ordianry Nigerian. The VC, Rector, Provost, Principal and headmaster who embezzles money meant for his school‘s development is an ordinary Nigerian. Who do the leaders use to perpetrate their corrupt acts? Ordianry Nigerians. What the hell are we talking about. Quit the blame game and take responsibility for the poor state of the country cos we all involved.

What have you benefited from Nigeria,as an ordinary citizen?It is only the corrupt politicians that sings praises to the damned country.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Sike(m): 9:53am On Aug 16, 2012
Na today...
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by dtemidare: 11:29am On Aug 16, 2012
rakumiii: [size=18pt]NIGERIA IS A BIG FAT JOKE..........and everybody in the world knows this[/size]

if you think Nigeria is a big joke it also means you are a product of a BIG FAT JOKE. i hope you are fat too, fat guys never do well in BED.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by blackbeau1(f): 12:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
We r not ridiculing Nigeria.I'd rather say we day things as they are.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by aikuda(m): 1:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
I think the problem is that of perception: what people really perceive to constitute the country Nigeria. People who ridicule Nigeria see Nigeria as the result of the failings of the leadership. When they imagine Nigeria, they see Abacha and his handiwork, they see obj and power failure,they see our legislooters and and the various ineffective Governors. If that is what you think Nigeria is then you are right to curse the "f" out of it.

But that is not only what Nigeria is.

Nigeria is your small neighborhood where you grew up with friends; and remember playing in the sands innocently.
Nigeria is the platform for great musicians like Sunny Okosuns, Ayefele, Prince Nico Mbaga, including all the new generations artistes like P Square and 2 face et al.
Nigeria is a place that allows you to freely walk and scream the top of your voice without feeling inferior to anyone.
Nigeria is the place you can look at and say wholeheartedly: this is my own no matter what
Nigeria is the mamaput that you can order about to serve you amala and ewedu
Nigeria is your mother, your father and all your extended family.

Tell me how can you ridicule this second Nigeria? This country is not working well right now, but the coutry is not its leaders. The country is us - YOU AND I. Stop cursing and ridiculing yourselves online. That is where the Ghanaians and the south africans find all they know about you.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KiKatanga: 2:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
aikuda:
Tell me how can you ridicule this second Nigeria? This country is not working well right now, but the coutry is not its leaders. The country is us - YOU AND I. Stop cursing and ridiculing yourselves online. That is where the Ghanaians and the south africans find all they know about you.

It's also the only place the Nigerians from across the country and the diaspora can sit together and talk about how we can make it better. And if we claim all is well, then what can we do?
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by aikuda(m): 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ki-Katanga:

It's also the only place the Nigerians from across the country and the diaspora can sit together and talk about how we can make it better. And if we claim all is well, then what can we do?

You see that's my point- that is what we should do: talk about how to make it better. But you and I know from reading the treads that that is not what is happening! Ridiculing yourselves before the world is not the same as discussing contsructively how to make it better. Not that we can control what people say online, but if people realize that these kinds of forum is the only window through which many people see Nigeria, maybe they would be more constructive in their opinions. when the only thing that outsiders learn about your country is curruption and violence, why should they come here and invest in your country? Don't gloss over our problems, but dont forget to also mention the nice things about Nigeria. Sometimes the way the treads read it sound as if nothing is working in Nigeria- and that not true at all. In this day and age the imgage of a country is very well tied to its economy. That my point!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by apala911: 3:44pm On Aug 16, 2012
aikuda:

You see that's my point- that is what we should do: talk about how to make it better. But you and I know from reading the treads that that is not what is happening! Ridiculing yourselves before the world is not the same as discussing contsructively how to make it better. Not that we can control what people say online, but if people realize that these kinds of forum is the only window through which many people see Nigeria, maybe they would be more constructive in their opinions. when the only thing that outsiders learn about your country is curruption and violence, why should they come here and invest in your country? Don't gloss over our problems, but dont forget to also mention the nice things about Nigeria. Sometimes the way the treads read it sound as if nothing is working in Nigeria- and that not true at all. In this day and age the imgage of a country is very well tied to its economy. That my point!

I quite key into ur line of thought, indeed every nation in the world has its ups and downs that are peculiar to it, however ours maybe, we need to work together and see how best we can bring back the lost glory of our country and stop making a mockery of ourselves. If we don't know, we are NIGERIA
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by yesboss20(m): 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
The fact that Nigeria continues to remain in a very sad state is undeniable. Nevertheless, the future must be better! The plight we face daily, in a country so diverse, in a country so blessed as ours in confusingly pitiable. We have not had the right crop of leaders in aons it seems: behold, the people have had it to their necks! We demand a change: the economy and our livelihood must improve.
However, comparing Nigeria to the US or the UK is plainly baseless in my opinion. Rome surely wasn't built in a day: let us try to always differentiate b/w the trees and forest.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by rakumiii(m): 5:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
dtemidare:

if you think Nigeria is a big joke it also means you are a product of a BIG FAT JOKE. i hope you are fat too, fat guys never do well in BED.

I suspect you are still in secondary school living under your parents roof and not aware of the realities of life for making that statement. Or better still you must be in the US or UK visiting Nigeria every 5years for 2 weeks with your parents.

Were you in Nigeria Jan 2012 during the Oil subsidy crisis? What happened to the biggest players in Subsidy scandal who stole TRILLIONS OF NAIRA in one year? NOTHING......What happened with Femi Otedola and Farouk Lawan bribery circus show? NOTHING.......and you are saying Nigeria is not a JOKE......My friend Open your eyes.......Other countries are taking their presidents to court and throwing them in jail not to talk of a regular business man or politician........The whole country is a CIRCUS SHOW going round and round with no intentions of stopping..........from our Ring Master GEJ down to the Nigerians on the street.........The whole system is on cruise control with NOBODY controlling it and nothing in the horizon of the country getting better

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Godogwu: 6:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
manbuchai:

With all the natural resources available Nigeria is supposed to compet with most western economies,it is a reality.We did absolutely nothing with the natural resources at our disposal.Stop making excuses for failure.

Oh because Nigeria has Oil it should be competing with most western countries?, please when was oil discovered in Nigeria and don't you also think all these other western countries have abundant natural resources also? Fact is that they do and have been utilizing their resources way before Nigeria was created and as Nigeria develops these other countries develop too, they don't remain stagnant.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Godogwu: 6:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
rakumiii:

I suspect you are still in secondary school living under your parents roof and not aware of the realities of life for making that statement. Or better still you must be in the US or UK visiting Nigeria every 5years for 2 weeks with your parents.

Were you in Nigeria Jan 2012 during the Oil subsidy crisis? What happened to the biggest players in Subsidy scandal who stole TRILLIONS OF NAIRA in one year? NOTHING......What happened with Femi Otedola and Farouk Lawan bribery circus show? NOTHING.......and you are saying Nigeria is not a JOKE......My friend Open your eyes.......Other countries are taking their presidents to court and throwing them in jail not to talk of a regular business man or politician........The whole country is a CIRCUS SHOW going round and round with no intentions of stopping..........from our Ring Master GEJ down to the Nigerians on the street.........The whole system is on cruise control with NOBODY controlling it and nothing in the horizon of the country getting better

Nigeria is not a joke!! It is the most populous black nation on earth, with a thriving economy and good people. Yes, Nigeria has problems but so does every other country Aii.... The fact that we have corruption in the system doesn't make it a joke, and if you have answers to all the problems Nigeria faces why don't you offer them instead of saying utter rubbish.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by manbuchai: 7:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
Godogwu:

Oh because Nigeria has Oil it should be competing with most western countries?, please when was oil discovered in Nigeria and don't you also think all these other western countries have abundant natural resources also? Fact is that they do and have been utilizing their resources way before Nigeria was created and as Nigeria develops these other countries develop too, they don't remain stagnant.

Talk what you know,most European countries does not have minerial resources but they have (grade one )infrastuctures.If you step out of Nigeria and witness how a country should look like,you will shed tears and agree with me that Nigeria is a total failure.When you look at citizens of Europe,Usa or even some Asian countries you would not deny the fact that Nigeria is way behind.Nigeria is plagued by poverty,corruption,dirt,crime and many more.Countries that are endowed with mineral resources like Nigeria are way better than that shit hole you call your father/mother land.They made nobody proud.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by BUSHMAN1: 7:12pm On Aug 16, 2012
Godogwu:

Is this sense?? .....so we would have another South Africa, with the white people at the top of the food chain....please
yes!! why not? nigeria dont seem to be doing well since independent on their own, we might aswell let white people rule us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Invite Dogara, Others For Alleged Budget Padding / Original Pictures Of Nnamdi Kanu In Hotel Girls / Two Suicide Bombers Attack Muna Garage In Maiduguri; Many Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.