Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,496 members, 7,888,582 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 11:02 AM

Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria (9899 Views)

Ndi -igbo Have Turned Their Selves To Object Of National Ridicule. / Buhari’s Delay In Making Appointments Exposing Us To Ridicule-apc Chieftain / A Buhari Presidency Would Ridicule Nigeria –duke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Mekusnwa: 4:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
NIGERIA IS THE GIANT OF AFRICA.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by mujiboy(m): 4:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
@dollarman what u listed in ur view is just like havin 15% out of 100. For ur information the country has the capability of doing more. We pay tax to the govt. Av u forgoten dat. Go to souuh Africa nd see.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
^^ Giant gbaka oku...giant that couldn't get a copper in the olympics when mushroom countries got Gold. Shame to thee Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by nnemmpi(m): 4:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
Guys if u have any oppursunity to travel out of dis country u will no dat the geograhical entite called nigeria is d worst place to leave on earth .
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 4:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Just like the former USSR and Yugoslavia , the present Nigeria will be no more in a few decade. No forced political union has ever survived !
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by sumgelem(m): 4:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
i love Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Elueme: 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
May I ask the OP of any country devoid of its own peculiar problems? Agreed Nigeria should be better than it is now but no thanks to the military, however, ironically Nigeria has its own advantages over some with better social system... In Nigeria You are not treated like a second class citizen, you can cut corners by refusing to pay your NEPA bills or under pay but expect a 24/7 power, in Nigeria many citizens evade taxes but want our social systems to be perfect, in Nigeria, You are virtually educated for free or with little token but you want our institutions to be like Harvard or Yales. I can go on and on. In as much as I don't brief for govt for having fail on her part but we must also look internally for some of te solutions to the menace plaguing our dear nation by changing our ways to suite a relatively perfect society and then we can hold govt responsible for failing us.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Mekusnwa: 4:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
Dollarman101:
Shut up! Nigeria has not done anything for you but I'm sure you were born in our general hospitals, where almost everything is subsidised including ante natal. Inspite of all the criticism, teaching hospitals and federal medical centres remain the number one destination for health care delivery for a vast majority of Nigerians.
You must also have passed through our unity schools or graduated from any of our federal or state universities which is the most subsidized in the world. Make you take time to ask your friends schooling abroad, how much they pay as school fees. You use our airports including MMAI which is ranked top 10. You ply some good roads in Nigeria without paying taxes or tolls.

Govt subsidizes your electricity bills so that you can pay as low as N7.00 per Kwh. Google electricity tariffs in Uk or other advanced countries and see what Nigerian govts subsidies for you.
If you re from Niger Delta, you collect bursary from your state govts. While you grew up, your only window to knowledge and the world may have been NTA. Recall the educative programmes like sesame street, kiddies vision 101, tales by the moonlight. Is NTA a private Ghanian company?
Make una dey think before talking. We know say things never better but that one no suppose make us dey misyarn.
Nice one. At times, we take most of these things for granted while harbouring the illusion that Nigeria has not done anything for us. All through my stay in the university, my school fees did not exceed 12,000 Naira each session. A friend of mine is going to pay over 4 m as school fees for masters in Scotland.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Elueme: 4:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
mujiboy: @dollarman what u listed in ur view is just like havin 15% out of 100. For ur information the country has the capability of doing more. We pay tax to the govt. Av u forgoten dat. Go to souuh Africa nd see.
May I ask you how much you pay in tax? Pls go, ask Britain how their tax system is being run then you'll understand.. I quite concur that the institution of govt should double up efforts but Nigerians are also failing in their own part, including my humble self.. We need a wholistic change it should start With individuals
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by 1800bc(f): 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
jerseyboy: Isn't NIGERIA A JOKE? A CRUEL ONE AT THAT?

[size=16pt]You are obviously a joker grin[/size]
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by MurphyT1: 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
they expect so much frm the govt, though d deliberately close their eyes frm d little d gain...most tyms it borne out of som pples selfish nature.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Ilaje44(m): 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
emmysenior: God bless Nigeria! If we don't pray for our country, then, who will pray in our stead? It's better to pray for a scintillating turn around instead of ridiculling her. GOD bless Nigeria!

We dont need to pray for Nigeria. If we put in our efort for Nigeria to work, it would surprise you that that will be more effective than wasting our times praying. A lot of people in Nigeria without bias or favour need to be taken to the firing range and summarily executed.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by jege456: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
I agree with the majority opinion on this piece. It's a well written piece that captures the true position and feelings of most Nigerians.

The country does not care about it's citizens. You'll see a person building a house, the person will install his own generator as well as sink his own borehole. In addition, some persons go further to engage the services of a private security firm as well as private waste disposal companies. After all these, what more can the Government provide for one?

Our children attend private schools and our family members use private hospitals; what more?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Joeadamu86: 5:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
I am crazy about my country Nigeria Jo,anybody wey no dey proud,may him go Syria,Iraq or Somalia......Naija for live...

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by anicho(m): 5:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
Cos they are tired of being trampled upon.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by cocoduck: 5:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
Joeadamu86: I am crazy about my country Nigeria Jo,anybody wey no dey proud,may him go Syria,Iraq or Somalia......Naija for live...
my bad insted of usa or uk or rsa even brazil et al. men we are not ready for improvement. why not congo
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KayDee4: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=15pt] What do you do when there's really nothing to boast about and the failings of the government frustrates the hell out of the people?
Still love naija to da bone sha.
[/size]
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by safarigirl(f): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
Truth be told, you're more likely to find a Biafran flag in someone's house than a Nigerian one. The writer of that article couldn't be more precise. It's only here that people twist the National pledge to 'TO SERVE NIGERIA IS NOT MY FAULT/BY FORCE' and 'MAY COLD AND CATARRH CATCH ALL MY ENEMIES, SO HELP ME GOD' this is how Primary and Secondary students say the pledge, I won't even mention the Anthem. Where is the patriotism and National pride? Yeah! Down the drain!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
The writer is a Good observer.. I don't feel getting anything back as a Nigerian I am and I desire for change but that change can't come in Nigeria with the way a particular region thinks that they own the country, that's why I desire Biafra, a nation I can be proud of
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Ilaje44(m): 5:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Joeadamu86: I am crazy about my country Nigeria Jo,anybody wey no dey proud,may him go Syria,[b]Iraq [/b]or Somalia......Naija for live...

Dont let anybody deceive you, those 2 countries a far more developed than Nigeria. You can not compare Alepo the biggest city in Syria to Lagos and neither their capital city Damascus to Abuja. It is a WORLD apart. BTW, Syria is not an OPEC country. The advantages they have over Nigeria is that they are a very OLD country and their population is ca. ten times less than that of Nigeria. Besides, they are not as diverse ethnically as Nigeria.

As a matter of fact, Damascus, Bagdad, Alepo etc. are some of the oldest places continously inhabited by human beings in the world. Igimu jina sori o jare.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 15, 2012
safarigirl: Truth be told, you're more likely to find a Biafran flag in someone's house than a Nigerian one. The writer of that article couldn't be more precise. It's only here that people twist the National pledge to 'TO SERVE NIGERIA IS NOT MY FAULT/BY FORCE' and 'MAY COLD AND CATARRH CATCH ALL MY ENEMIES, SO HELP ME GOD' this is how Primary and Secondary students say the pledge, I won't even mention the Anthem. Where is the patriotism and National pride? Yeah! Down the drain!

U re so on point. There is this man I always help to tidy some stuff on his PC, in his house he has 2 flags, an American Flag and A Biafran Flag when ever I visit him I never miss to salute the biafran flag sometimes I kneel to pray over it for God to grant us our desire.. Am thinking that am more patriotic to Biafra cause I have never noticed or appreciated a Nigerian Flag
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by baqina(m): 5:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
It depends on how you look at it.

In terms of corruption,Nigeria can not be compared to the likes of India, Thailand etc

Armed robbery and insecurity, we have countries like South Africa topping the charts. So many nigerians have been killed in the US and UK by robbers and teenage rascals.

Education, we might not have d best education systems but the products of our institutions are among the best in the world with Nigerians being d most educated group in UK and USA. The highest I paid as undergraduate was #15,000 as school fees and with that I just used it to gain admission to 2 universities in the Uk, I was even thinking they would ask mi to start from Pre masters level.

Health, some people think our hospital is a shame but the president of Ghana died after being discharged from American hospital, Stella Obasanjo died in Spanish hospital,A crown prince of Saudi Arabia recently died in German hospital, Michael Jackson died of overdose prescribed by an American doctor etc.

In America and Uk, we have citizens of this countries feeding from the trash cans and some homeless and jobless.I have never seen or heard of anybody combining 2 or 3 jobs to survive in Nigeria.

For those crying foul, Nigeria owe us nothing, it is we Nigerians dt owe her something and gratitude to God for making us Nigerians. For those that care to know, a lot of foreigners are turning Nigerians daily.

I love my country and am proud to be a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Ilaje44(m): 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
SlyIg: If we were to take everything about this country so serious,that means most of us would have high blood pressure. Its better we take things so light and free ridiculously.

You are absolutely RIGHT!!! The problem is, I cant afford not to give a damm like the president of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
werepeLeri: I have seen a sick, bedridden American whose last words on earth were that he was proud to be American. I do not know any up-and-doing (perhaps the opposite of bedridden?) Nigerian who maintains that he is proud to be Nigerian!

Lie - How many Nigerians have you met on their sick bed? How many Americans have you met on their sick bed? How many Nigerians have you asked if they love their country Nigeria?

I have never in my life seen a Nigerian flag in the private residence of any Nigerian. According to the grapevine, Nigerians do not feel they owe anything to their country and/or government, no wonder they exhibit a persistent disconnect between them and the symbols of their country, Nigeria.

How many Nigerian homes have you been to? Lie.

Dude you have comprehension problems.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by POTUT(m): 5:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
Until late last year, I never spent a breath on prayers for Nigeria.
I'm now a father of three. With the turns our economy has taken since 2009, I have come to realize that if one does not pray for one's own land, whatever calamity that befalls that land also affects its inhabitants. The devil can effectively hold down and obscure the best brains we have by simply holding the leadership of our country.
I used to engage in ridiculing Nigeria, but more I know better. As long as I live here, whatever good comes to Nigeria comes to me...and whatever bad comes...we work hard to prevent it.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nightshift(m): 5:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
safarigirl: Truth be told, you're more likely to find a Biafran flag in someone's house than a Nigerian one. The writer of that article couldn't be more precise. It's only here that people twist the National pledge to 'TO SERVE NIGERIA IS NOT MY FAULT/BY FORCE' and 'MAY COLD AND CATARRH CATCH ALL MY ENEMIES, SO HELP ME GOD' this is how Primary and Secondary students say the pledge, I won't even mention the Anthem. Where is the patriotism and National pride? Yeah! Down the drain!
Really ? Even the youngsters seem frustrated and they display it. Ije awele, umunne oma!
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by inspbado(m): 5:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
Considering the huge potentials(materially and human) Nigeria is endowed with and the level of sufferings average Nigerians go thru everyday despite these huge resources, I don't blame anyone that curse out(I'm guilty of this) Nigeria and her greedy muth**f** politicians. Omo!! the situation that confronts the average man on the streets everyday is pathetic to say the least.smh cry
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by occam(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2012
werepeLeri: I have seen a sick, bedridden American whose last words on earth were that he was proud to be American. I do not know any up-and-doing (perhaps the opposite of bedridden?) Nigerian who maintains that he is proud to be Nigerian!

Lie - How many Nigerians have you met on their sick bed? How many Americans have you met on their sick bed? How many Nigerians have you asked if they love their country Nigeria?

I have never in my life seen a Nigerian flag in the private residence of any Nigerian. According to the grapevine, Nigerians do not feel they owe anything to their country and/or government, no wonder they exhibit a persistent disconnect between them and the symbols of their country, Nigeria.

How many Nigerian homes have you been to? Lie.

you seem like an person that just relish being a contrarian. We all know what Nigeria is: it's everyman for himself

And BTW the Nigerian flag is mainly displayed in govt offices; never seen it in people's homes
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by doublej1(m): 5:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
All what we are saying is the evidence of corruption in the country. Any good thing you see around was for political purpose or is a remnant of what has been done by our past truthful leaders. How do you expect a nigerian who knows fully well his tax money would end up in the pocket of some certain individual to pay his tax, it even goes more than these the money you paid would be shared right in your front.
I challenge any one in his right senses to argue this.
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=21pt]Because they are Unpatriotic[/size]
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by drlaykay(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
[/b]@op: are u sure u are not one of them?cos only few of us don't.[b]
Re: Why Nigerians Ridicule Nigeria by KiKatanga: 5:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ranks007: Because they are Unpatriotic

Is it patriotic to stand idly by while your country destroys itself?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reps Declare N320bn Missing From Crude Oil Remittance / Osagie Ize-Iyamu: "Oshiomhole Squandered N1trn On Inflated Projects" / Gtb Cries Out For Help Over Multiple Closure Of Accounts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.