Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,263 members, 7,943,541 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 06:01 PM

Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 (13235 Views)

The Testimony Of Goshen360 Is The Testimony Of God’s Grace / *~ Goshen360 Voted Religion Section Poster Of 2012*~ Congratulations! / God Did "NOT" Create "ONLY" Adam But Many People - Obadiah777 Vs Goshen360 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
SNCOQ3: ^ Fair enough.
On a second thought, I think it noteworthy that God mentioned 'Leviathan and Behemoth' to Job ( Post-Noah).

I agree that it is. On another thread, I indicated that mentions of creatures like that did not warrant assigning myth to that book. My explanation was also that they could have died out before our time.

Also, to say that because the creatures were peculiar in certain behaviors like breathing fire, they were mythical, is wrong because in our days there are creatures equally strange. And there is available information that makes the creatures plausible.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 3:27pm On Sep 01, 2012
Bonjour mes chers amis,

@ SNCOQ3, Delafruita, Joagbaje and danwo

My other Two questions to the "gap" theory teachers:

1. About the dinosaurs, are you guys insinuating that these dinosaurs were not destroyed during the flood of Noah?

2. If you say "gap" existed between the first two verse of scriptures and there was a pre-adamic world, will you then agree or mean that Genesis itself does not account for the beginning of the creation?

I just woke up and will go through your other comments before these questions of mine. Thank you.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
@SNCOQ3

I just recognized your point in "Post-Noah". It's a good point.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 5:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
Oops! keyboard mishap
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
Goshen360: Bonjour mes chers amis,

@ SNCOQ3, Delafruita, Joagbaje and danwo

My other Two questions to the "gap" theory teachers:

1. About the dinosaurs, are you guys insinuating that these dinosaurs were not destroyed during the flood of Noah?

2. If you say "gap" existed between the first two verse of scriptures and there was a pre-adamic world, will you then agree or mean that Genesis itself does not account for the beginning of the creation?

I just woke up and will go through your other comments before these questions of mine. Thank you.

Unlike you knowing all the Goshen360 earthly family secrets

there are some infinite truths you are yet to have the knowledge about

Goshen360:

1.About the dinosaurs, are you guys insinuating that these dinosaurs were not destroyed during the flood of Noah?

^^^^

The water during the Noah flood remained above the highest mountains for a year before receding.

Ask yourself this question, is a year enough to set those fossils preserved animals remains we've so far seen?

Dinosaurs? Bitumen? They are partners in crime here.

They go way back. Think about it, think how long it takes petrol to form

Goshen360:

2.If you say "gap" existed between the first two verse of scriptures and there was a pre-adamic world,

will you then agree or mean that Genesis itself does not account for the beginning of the creation
?

^^^^^^

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

GAP SCREAMED AND SCREAMING OUT HERE

2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Genesis 1:1 obscurely hinted the original creation of heaven and earth

then from Genesis 1:2 set off talkng about the creation of a WORLD.

The physical earth was already in existence at that stage, but experiencing episodes or going through phases of different worlds

Another world order is about to start - the world of/for Adam, the time for Adam; Man, has come.

God created that world in literal seven days

So answering your ". . . will you then agree or mean that Genesis itself does not account for the beginning of the creation" question

Genesis 1:1-2 passively accounted that God in the beginning created heaven and earth only

The compensation for the lack of enthusiasm was the uninhibited account of how an ensued world was created from Genesis 1:3 onwards

In short the sweetener narrated and gave details of how Adam's world came about.

Welcome to Adam's world or is it the prince of this world's world.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 7:34pm On Sep 01, 2012
The translators though with good intentions are not infallible

Make no mistake, Bible translations is not inspired by God like all scripture is.

SMH some of the greek - english, hebrew - english translations are crazy.

Due diligence. Due diligence. Due diligence.

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,
a worker who has no need to be ashamed,
rightly handling the word of truth
"
- 2 Timothy 2:15 ESV

"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness of mind,
and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
"
- Acts 17:11 KJV
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
@ danwo, mon cher frère

You are missing the point here my brother. What you and other brothers are doing is that, you are trying to use science or scientific knowledge to interpret or approve the bible BUT what you end up doing is disapprove the bible with scientific knowledge or whatever extra-biblical knowledge you may have which I "might" not. This is contrary to the concept of biblical interpretation, (permit me to say).

Now, here is the point am making!

The confusion in Genesis 1:1-2 is similar to Chapter 1 and 2 where it records two creation account. Some confuse chapter 2 as a different creation account different from that chapter 1. Unknown to them, they can't see that they simply compliments each other.

Now, this is the point am making (without using extra-biblical source or any scientific proof), Genesis 1:1 is NOT in a "definite" state as in, it doesn't mean a finished and done deal creation of heaven and earth but it is an opening statement in which other verses tells how (process) the "heavens and earth" of Genesis 1:1 was accomplished. How did I come to this conclusion?

1. If it was a completed and already created "earth and heavens", God will NOT come back to call the firmament which was created/made from waters, HEAVEN.

2. The same way, God will NOT come back and name the dry land EARTH should it have been already created in Genesis 1:1

3. The Gap theory will NOT end up in anything other than RE-CREATION instead of what we see all over that it wasn't "RE-CREATION but "CREATED, MADE and FORMED"

4. The earth with the Gap theory will also end up saying (by assumption, not scripture interpreting scriptures) that, the earth "BECAME" formless and void BUT God Himself said in Job 38 that He creadted the darkness and the condition of the earth that way.

5. The book of Jeremiah says, it (earth) "WAS" not "BECAME" void/formeless.

6. The Gap theory will also end up saying that Genesis itself did NOT account for the ORIGINAL CRAETION should there be gap and a pre-adamic world before this creation account.

Who then are we supposed to beleive? The word of God or extra-biblical account?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
Goshen360:

@ danwo, mon cher frère

You are missing the point here my brother. What you and other brothers are doing is that, you are trying to use science or scientific knowledge to interpret or approve the bible BUT what you end up doing is disapprove the bible with scientific knowledge or whatever extra-biblical knowledge you may have which I "might" not. This is contrary to the concept of biblical interpretation, (permit me to say).

The confusion in Genesis 1:1-2 is similar to Chapter 1 and 2 where it records two creation account. Some confuse chapter 2 as a different creation account different from that chapter 1. Unknown to them, they can't see that they simply compliments each other.

Now, this is the point am making (without using extra-biblical source or any scientific proof), Genesis 1:1 is NOT in a "definite" state as in, it doesn't mean a finished and done deal creation of heaven and earth but it is an opening statement in which other verses tells how (process) the "heavens and earth" of Genesis 1:1 was accomplished. How did I come to this conclusion?

1. If it was a completed and already created "earth and heavens", God will NOT come back to call the firmament which was created/made from waters, HEAVEN.

2. The same way, God will NOT come back and name the dry land EARTH should it have been already created in Genesis 1:1

3. The Gap theory will NOT end up in anything other than RE-CREATION instead of what we see all over that it wasn't "RE-CREATION but "CREATED, MADE and FORMED"

4. The earth with the Gap theory will also end up saying (by assumption, not scripture interpreting scriptures) that, the earth "BECAME" formless and void BUT God Himself said in Job 38 that He creadted the darkness and the condition of the earth that way.

6. The Gap theory will also end up saying that Genesis itself did NOT account for the ORIGINAL CRAETION should there be gap and a pre-adamic world before this creation account.

@Goshen360, Mon cher frère bien-aimé

I understand the worryness and skepticism

Please indulge me these questions

#1. What does "first of its kind" mean?
#2. What does "after its kind" mean?
#2b. What is/are difference(s) between #1 and #2?
#3. In your own opionion, are #1 and #2 similar, remotely at all that is?
#4. Do you agree that translators are not infalliable and the translations are not God inspired like all scripture is?
(i.e. translations such as hebrew - english, greek - english, verse numberings, chapter numberings etc)
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 8:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
I was wondering when Ola would come in with his silly cartoons. grin

@ Goshen

I more or less agree with your views - the Genesis account, as written, does not lend support to the gap theory. However, the account is silent on certain issues such as when angels were created, when Satan was cast out of heaven and so on. Those proposing this gap-theory assume that those events must have happened somewhere between the 'beginning' and the creation of the elements of the heavens and the earth we are now familiar with today.

My view is that the account in Genesis' purpose is to show that everything was created by God in a way we can understand and relate to our regular week, but not to be misapplied as a dating mechanism as that was never its intent.

Like someone said earlier, if Salvation was dependent on knowing the age of the earth, God would've plainly given the age of the earth for anyone to read, not these questionable 'back calculations' folk seem bent on relying on.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by truthislight: 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2012
Goshen360: @ danwo, mon cher frère

Goshen,
you said you have an interest in this topic that has noting to do with obedience to God.

I wander how this can lead to everlasting life if not uncertain doctrine!
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mr_Anony: @Goshen et al, The bible says nothing about the age of the earth. It is people who calculate it counting from the genealogies from Adam.

Have you ever considered this: Assuming we didn't have the old testament i.e. the books of the old testament were lost to us and all we had as the beginning was John 1:1, we would probably have been here arguing how the world couldn't have been much older than 2000 years old. Think about that for a minute if you may.

I agree. My conclusion right now is that the Bible does not say how old the earth is. It does establish some really very important facts about God's way of creating though.

I did try to calculate some periods from info available from the Bible, but some issues presented themselves:

¤ While we are told how long Adam lived, we do not know, taking Genesis 2:4,5 into account, how long the period between the creation of the universe and the earth and the creation of man was. But then, we have to ask what Genesis 1 meant (this is quite explainable).

¤ There is possibility that some names were not included in the genealogies. Things like this are often found to be the case in the Bible. The New Testament genealogies come to mind.

¤ There is virtually no time-specific information as to the happenings in the heavenlies regarding Lucifer's rebellion.

I was worried that an old age would put God's Principles for creating in doubt. And if it did, then His work in us today would come under question. But, I have done some thinking and some research and I think that the length of time does not affect anything. In fact, I think that the following are some of His Principles displayed in the story of Creation:

§§ God orders His movements as Genesis 1 shows. He establishes that which He will do as done even "before" He has done it. As it is said, He calls those things that are not as though they were. It's amazing if one considers what that means with respect to us.

§§ He builds His world before He puts His man in it. Jesus did say that He was going to prepare a place to which He would take us.

§§ He ever starts from the one to get the many. As Adam is to the fallen race, so Christ is to the risen race.

§§ Creating is what Father does. Making new things and making things new is His Specialty. The mark of Christ anywhere is newness of life, freshness and originality.

§§ Things are always suited to their kind. There is no confusion of mixtures in God's Work. For man there cannot be found a companion among beasts, his companion must be that which is his own kind. Christ has no part with Belial. Let him that nameth the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.

§§ The beginning of man's work is in God's Rest. Man can only do when God has done. "My Father works, and I work," as Jesus said. The true place of man is as a channel for the works of God to get to His Creation.

§§ By extension, God's intention for man was that he rule over the works of His hands. Man was created to be God's Throne over Creation. Something like what Joseph was to Pharoah.

§§ God seeks man. He always does. When man is in his right condition, fellowship with God is natural and exceedingly pleasurable to him.

§§ God's Anger blazed with His Pity. He is a God Whose Eyes cannot behold iniquity, but He knows our frame that we are dust. This is why we are not destroyed. While we learn to live in Christ, we falter, fail and walk contrary to Him, but He never lets us go. He will not lose any that will commit themselves to Him. "Beneath us are the everlasting arms"

§§ He is a God Who finishes what He starts and never fails of perfection in accomplishing His intentions.

There are myriad, I suppose. But even if we knew only one or two, we have reason to be encouraged by Genesis 1, 2.

1 Like

Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 8:39am On Sep 02, 2012
danwo, mon frère,

Weekends are always busy for me. Please permit me. I should answer according on Monday. Thanks.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 7:48pm On Sep 02, 2012
Goshen360:

danwo, mon frère,

Weekends are always busy for me. Please permit me. I should answer according on Monday. Thanks.

@Goshen360, Mon cher frère bien-aimé

The "elephant in the room" will still be there, waiting. wink
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by aletheia(m): 8:44pm On Sep 02, 2012
Joagbaje:
. . .
Lucifer (Satan) was the angelic ruler on the earth before the time of Adam. He fell from his position before Adam was created
Satan did not fall before the creation of Adam. This point has been addressed elsewhere in the past.

. . .There was a time when I believed the gap theory just like you but Exodus 20:11 shattered that illusion. . .

[center]Was or Became[/center]
Hebrew OT: BHS Consonants & Vowels Transliterated:
1 be·re·shit ba·ra e·lo·him et ha·sha·ma·yim ve·'et ha·'a·retz. 2 ve·ha·'a·retz ha·ye·tah to·hu va·vo·hu ve·cho·shech al-pe·nei te·ho·vm ve·ru·ach e·lo·him me·ra·che·fet al-pe·nei ham·ma·yim.

"Gappists" translate “the earth was without form and empty” as “the earth became [or, ‘had become’] without form and empty.” At stake is the translation of the Hebrew word hayetah (a form of the Hebrew verb, hayah, “to be”).
The meaning of a word is controlled by its context, and verse 2 is circumstantial to verse 1. Thus, “was” is the most natural and appropriate translation for hayetah. It is rendered this way in almost all English versions (as well as the Septuagint). Furthermore, in Genesis 1:2 hayetah [/i]is not followed by the preposition [i]le, which would have removed any ambiguity in the Hebrew and required the translation “became.”

[center]Problems with the gap theory:[/center]

1. It is inconsistent with God creating everything in six days, as Scripture states.

Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy”. Thus, the creation of the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1) and the sea and all that is in them (the rest of creation) was completed in six days. Where is there time for a gap?

2. It puts death, disease, and suffering before the Fall, contrary to Scripture.

From Romans 5:12, “Therefore, even as through one man [Adam] sin entered the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as have sinned,” we understand that there could not have been human sin or death before Adam. The Bible teaches (1 Corinthians 15) that Adam was the first man, and as a result of his rebellion (sin), death and corruption (disease, bloodshed, and suffering) entered the universe. Before Adam sinned there could not have been any animal or human death. Note also that there could not have been a race of men before Adam that died in “Lucifer's flood” because 1 Corinthians 15:45 tells us that Adam was the “first” man.

Romans 8:22 teaches us that “we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now.” Clearly the whole of creation was, and is, subject to decay and corruption because of sin. The fossil record shows disease, decay, and death. When gap theorists believe that disease, decay, and death existed before Adam sinned, they ignore that this contradicts the teaching of Scripture.

Most importantly, the gap theory undermines the gospel at its foundations.

By accepting an ancient age for the earth (based on the standard uniformitarian interpretation of the geologic column), gap theorists leave the evolutionary system intact (which by their own assumptions they oppose).

Even worse, they must also theorize that Romans 5:12 and Genesis 3:3 refer only to spiritual death. But this contradicts other Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15; Genesis 3:22-23). These passages tell us that Adam's sin led to physical death as well as spiritual death. In 1 Corinthians 15 the death of the last Adam (the Lord Jesus Christ) is compared with the death of the first Adam. Jesus suffered physical death for man's sin, because Adam, the first man, died physically because of sin. Genesis 3:22-23 tells us that if Adam and Eve could have partaken of the fruit of the Tree of Life, they would have lived forever, but God decreed that they should die physically because of their sin.

The gap (or “ruin-reconstruction”) theory is based on a very tenuous interpretation of Scripture.

[center]The Straightforward Meaning of Genesis 1:1-2[/center]

The gap (or “ruin-reconstruction”) theory is based on a very tenuous interpretation of Scripture.

The simple, straightforward meaning of Genesis 1:1-2 is that when God at the beginning created the earth it was initially formless, empty, and dark, and God's Spirit was there above the waters. It was through His creative energy that the world was then progressively “formed and filled” during the remaining six days of creation.

Consider the analogy of a potter making a vase. The first thing he does is get a ball of clay. What he has is good, but it is unformed. Next, he shapes it into a vase, using his potter's wheel. Now it is no longer formless. He then might dry it, apply glaze, and fire it. Now it is ready to be filled—with flowers and water. At no time could one of the stages be considered evil or bad. It was just not finished—unformed (without form) and unfilled (void). When it was finally formed and filled, it could be described as “very good.”

God, of course, did not have to take six days to create everything, but he did this deliberately as a pattern for us—for our seven-day week.

You can follow up on this here

We must also understand that if Satan sinned and fell before Adam was created. . .that would mean that Creation was already marred since sin would then be already present on day six and thus God would not have said this: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

But since at the end of the sixth day it was very good. . .then we know that Satan hadn't fallen then and there was no sin any where in all of creation.

Threads which previously discussed some of these views:
Was There A World Before Genesis 1?
How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden?

1 Like

Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2012
aletheia:

Satan did not fall before the creation of Adam. This point has been addressed elsewhere in the past.

. . . There was a time when I believed the gap theory just like you but Exodus 20:11 shattered that illusion . . .

^^^^

If you are shown another scripture would the allegiance change, again?

aletheia:

Problems with the gap theory:

1. It is inconsistent with God creating everything in six days, as Scripture states.

Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy”. Thus, the creation of the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1) and the sea and all that is in them (the rest of creation) was completed in six days.

Where is there time for a gap?

2. It puts death, disease, and suffering before the Fall, contrary to Scripture.

From Romans 5:12, “Therefore, even as through one man [Adam] sin entered the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as have sinned,” we understand that there could not have been human sin or death before Adam.

The Bible teaches (1 Corinthians 15) that Adam was the first man,

and as a result of his rebellion (sin), death and corruption (disease, bloodshed, and suffering) entered the universe.

Before Adam sinned there could not have been any animal or human death.

Note also that there could not have been a race of men before Adam that died in “Lucifer's flood”

because 1 Corinthians 15:45 tells us that Adam was the “first” man

^^^

There are no problems with the gap theory.

The "Gap Theory" poses no threat to the 6 days of creation

The 6 days of creation is the creation of the Adam world ; humankind world

The new physical world was created in 6 days for Man using earth, its surroundings etc.

"Where is there time for a gap?" you asked

The time for the gap is before time started ticking in Genesis 1:3

With all due respects, my dear sire, you err awfully, because before Adam, there was death.

God promised Adam death, God guaranteed Adam death, literally

The bible even says the "wages of sin is death"

The money paid for sin, death, the reward for sin was in the "safe"

kept for a rainy day or a day such as when sin is committed

When that singular command was violated/broken

death which was alive but dormant got activated.

DEATH reared its ugly head and entered the world

Therefore, as by one man sin entered into the world,
and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men,
for that all have sinned
:

- Roman 5:12 KJV

So before Adam was, there was death of animals, there was death of some other kind(s)

The diseases etc too that you mentioned though unfortunate & unpleasant

are the consequences or aftereffects of a ground that is cursed
(i.e. the aftermath of a cursed ground)

You are right about "there could not have been a race of men before Adam that died in “Lucifer's flood”

Right in the sense that Adam was the first man or human being and so no human beings died in the “Lucifer's flood

The fact remains that the earth and world at that time got destroyed when a flood covered the earth

not covering the highest mountains as in Noah's Flood but like in the state captured from Genesis 1:2 onwards

aletheia:

We must also understand that if Satan sinned and fell before Adam was created. . .

that would mean that Creation was already marred since sin would then be already present on day six and thus God would not have said this:

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

But since at the end of the sixth day it was very good
. . .

then we know that Satan hadn't fallen then and there was no sin any where in all of creation.

^^^^^

At Genesis 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

Before the above there were five " . . . and God saw that it was good" for creation but that qualifier eluded Man

Collectively every thing as a whole was good. Individually, man? Erm?

God must have known something about Man for Him to hold back appending the qualifier after the creation of man as did with other creations
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by truthislight: 10:10am On Sep 03, 2012
aletheia:

. . .There was a time when I believed the gap theory just like you but Exodus 20:11 shattered that illusion. . .

[center]Was or Became[/center]

"Gappists" translate “the earth was without form and empty” as “the earth became [or, ‘had become’] without form and empty.” At stake is the translation of the Hebrew word hayetah (a form of the Hebrew verb, hayah, “to be”).
The meaning of a word is controlled by its context, and verse 2 is circumstantial to verse 1. Thus, “was” is the most natural and appropriate translation for hayetah. It is rendered this way in almost all English versions (as well as the Septuagint). Furthermore, in Genesis 1:2 hayetah [/i]is not followed by the preposition [i]le, which would have removed any ambiguity in the Hebrew and required the translation “became.”

[center]Problems with the gap theory:[/center]

Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and made it holy”. Thus, the creation of the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1) and the sea and all that is in them (the rest of creation) was completed in six days. Where is there time for a gap?

From Romans 5:12, “Therefore, even as through one man [Adam] sin entered the world, and death by sin, and so death passed on all men inasmuch as have sinned,” we understand that there could not have been human sin or death before Adam. The Bible teaches (1 Corinthians 15) that Adam was the first man, and as a result of his rebellion (sin), death and corruption (disease, bloodshed, and suffering) entered the universe. Before Adam sinned there could not have been any animal or human death. Note also that there could not have been a race of men before Adam that died in “Lucifer's flood” because 1 Corinthians 15:45 tells us that Adam was the “first” man.

Romans 8:22 teaches us that “we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now.” Clearly the whole of creation was, and is, subject to decay and corruption because of sin. The fossil record shows disease, decay, and death. When gap theorists believe that disease, decay, and death existed before Adam sinned, they ignore that this contradicts the teaching of Scripture.

Most importantly, the gap theory undermines the gospel at its foundations.

By accepting an ancient age for the earth (based on the standard uniformitarian interpretation of the geologic column), gap theorists leave the evolutionary system intact (which by their own assumptions they oppose).

Even worse, they must also theorize that Romans 5:12 and Genesis 3:3 refer only to spiritual death. But this contradicts other Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15; Genesis 3:22-23). These passages tell us that Adam's sin led to physical death as well as spiritual death. In 1 Corinthians 15 the death of the last Adam (the Lord Jesus Christ) is compared with the death of the first Adam. Jesus suffered physical death for man's sin, because Adam, the first man, died physically because of sin. Genesis 3:22-23 tells us that if Adam and Eve could have partaken of the fruit of the Tree of Life, they would have lived forever, but God decreed that they should die physically because of their sin.

[center]The Straightforward Meaning of Genesis 1:1-2[/center]

The simple, straightforward meaning of Genesis 1:1-2 is that when God at the beginning created the earth it was initially formless, empty, and dark, and God's Spirit was there above the waters. It was through His creative energy that the world was then progressively “formed and filled” during the remaining six days of creation.

Consider the analogy of a potter making a vase. The first thing he does is get a ball of clay. What he has is good, but it is unformed. Next, he shapes it into a vase, using his potter's wheel. Now it is no longer formless. He then might dry it, apply glaze, and fire it. Now it is ready to be filled—with flowers and water. At no time could one of the stages be considered evil or bad. It was just not finished—unformed (without form) and unfilled (void). When it was finally formed and filled, it could be described as “very good.”

God, of course, did not have to take six days to create everything, but he did this deliberately as a pattern for us—for our seven-day week.

You can follow up on this here

We must also understand that if Satan sinned and fell before Adam was created. . .that would mean that Creation was already marred since sin would then be already present on day six and thus God would not have said this: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

But since at the end of the sixth day it was very good. . .then we know that Satan hadn't fallen then and there was no sin any where in all of creation.

Threads which previously discussed some of these views:
Was There A World Before Genesis 1?
How Long Did Adam & Eve Live In The Garden Of Eden?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by truthislight: 10:31am On Sep 03, 2012
danwo:

^^^^

If you are shown another scripture would the allegiance change, again?

^^^

There are no problems with the gap theory.

The "Gap Theory" poses no threat to the 6 days of creation

The 6 days of creation is the creation of the Adam world ; humankind world

The new physical world was created in 6 days for Man using earth, its surroundings etc.

"Where is there time for a gap?" you asked

The time for the gap is before time started ticking in Genesis 1:3

With all due respects, my dear sire, you err awfully, because before Adam, there was death.

God promised Adam death, God guaranteed Adam death, literally

The bible even says the "wages of sin is death"

The money paid for sin, death, the reward for sin was in the "safe"

kept for a rainy day or a day such as when sin is committed

When that singular command was violated/broken

death which was alive but dormant got activated.

DEATH reared its ugly head and entered the world

Therefore, as by one man sin entered into the world,
and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men,
for that all have sinned
:

- Roman 5:12 KJV

So before Adam was, there was death of animals, there was death of some other kind(s)

The diseases etc too that you mentioned though unfortunate & unpleasant

are the consequences or aftereffects of a ground that is cursed
(i.e. the aftermath of a cursed ground)

You are right about "there could not have been a race of men before Adam that died in “Lucifer's flood”

Right in the sense that Adam was the first man or human being and so no human beings died in the “Lucifer's flood

The fact remains that the earth and world at that time got destroyed when a flood covered the earth

not covering the highest mountains as in Noah's Flood but like in the state captured from Genesis 1:2 onwards

^^^^^

At Genesis 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

Before the above there were five " . . . and God saw that it was good" for creation but that qualifier eluded Man

Collectively every thing as a whole was good. Individually, man? Erm?

God must have known something about Man for Him to hold back appending the qualifier after the creation of man as did with other creations
^^^^
This how you know false teaching it does not use the scriptures directly but rather twist it to fit into their intent.

A common thing with none biblical teaching is that it runs on assumption.

While aletheia presentation was very smothe and consistent with what other part of the scriptures says ^^^ this does not.

I dont know if the bible said that all people will enter God's kingdom, i dont know why we have to bend the scriptures to suit science or any body for that matter.

When human become wiser then the God that created them and gave them the bible it beat me silly.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 11:00am On Sep 03, 2012
@ alethia

Without being told when this fall occurred, I don't see how you can make such a categorical statement. Furthermore, the bible doesn't even state when the angels were created, so again I fail to see how you can reach this categorical conclusion.

You may say that there is no evidence supporting the fall before the creation of Adam, but that is all that can be said on the matter - others may say it had to have happened before the creation of Adam because the bible doesn't record the creation of angels, the elders, etc. within the 6 day creation account, which is focused on the 'physical' creation as it were, not principalities, dominions, etc.

If the bible is not categorical this subject, I don't see how you can be.

PS - this isn't support for the gap theory in the least, it's simply a recognition that the bible is silent on certain things.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by aletheia(m): 11:54am On Sep 03, 2012
debosky: @ alethia
Without being told when this fall occurred, I don't see how you can make such a categorical statement.
Because the account in Genesis is logical, consistent and ordered. . .

1. If Satan sinned and fell before Adam was created. . .
2. That would mean that Creation was already marred and blighted since sin would then be already present on day six
3. And God would not have said this: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."
4. But since at the end of the sixth day, God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good., we know at least that at the time Adam was created, there was no sin or imperfection present in creation.

I think the difference in our positions is in what we think the phrase "every thing that he had made" refers to. I believe this refers to the heavens and the earth and all that is in them because the verse immediately following says: "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them."
All the host of them is synonymous for heavenly host. . .which is a term for angels and the like, cf. Luke 2:13: And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying. . .
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by aletheia(m): 12:02pm On Sep 03, 2012
debosky: . . .others may say it had to have happened before the creation of Adam because the bible doesn't record the creation of angels, the elders, etc. within the 6 day creation account, which is focused on the 'physical' creation as it were, not principalities, dominions, etc.

The Bible is actually quite unambiguously categorical about this:
Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.

"All that is in them (the heavens and the earth, the sea etc)" is the Universal Set of all created beings i.e. angels, the elders, principalities, dominions, etc.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 12:45pm On Sep 03, 2012
^^^^^^

The detection of caution is overpowering

I like the "give it a wide berth" or carefully "walk on eggshells" approach

Dont rock the boat opinion(s)

a reminiscence of tithe or don't tithe or the like grin

@truthislight

Scriptures will be thrown in, when the time is right.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2012
aletheia:

The Bible is actually quite unambiguously categorical about this:
Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.

"All that is in them (the heavens and the earth, the sea etc)" is the Universal Set of all created beings i.e. angels, the elders, principalities, dominions, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with your reading - any subsequent reference on creation must defer to Genesis, which provides a high level of detail on physical creation and leaves out ANY mention of spiritual beings being created. If the Genesis account does not mention spiritual beings, then I am not comfortable taking the reference in Exodus (which is based on Genesis) to mean more than is stated in Genesis.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 3:12pm On Sep 03, 2012
aletheia:
Because the account in Genesis is logical, consistent and ordered. . .

1. If Satan sinned and fell before Adam was created. . .
2. That would mean that Creation was already marred and blighted since sin would then be already present on day six

I disagree - if God was talking only about his physical creation (which were the ONLY things described in the Genesis account of creation), then it would not be marred or blighted in the least.

3. And God would not have said this: "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good."

Again, a strict literal reading of Genesis (championed by those who subscribe to the 6,000 year old earth theory) would mean God was looking at his physical creation as detailed in Genesis, not something else you think was created then - we go by what is written.

4. But since at the end of the sixth day, God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good., we know at least that at the time Adam was created, there was no sin or imperfection present in creation.

Again, the physical creation is what was described in Genesis. If we keep to the accounts provided, we do not know when angels were created, much less when they fell - that is my point. Any inferences you make are debatable.

I think the difference in our positions is in what we think the phrase "every thing that he had made" refers to. I believe this refers to the heavens and the earth and all that is in them because the verse immediately following says: "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them."
All the host of them is synonymous for heavenly host. . .which is a term for angels and the like, cf. Luke 2:13: And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying. . .

The difference is more than that - Genesis describes creation in quite some detail that it appears intentional that all mention of spiritual beings being created is absent from Genesis. This may or may not mean they were created separately, but we cannot say either way for sure.

This host argument qualifies as inference in my view - if God could go to the detail of describing birds of the air, crawling things and the like, I am reluctant to think he would only lump all the heavenly beings with earthly animals with the use of 'all the host of them' in Genesis 2:1.

All the host of them is not [/i]synonymous with the heavenly host - see Job 2:25 where God describes the palmerworm and others as his [i]great host. Host is simply synonymous with a large number or an army and nothing more.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 6:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
@ danwo and other gap/pre-adamic teachers,

First @ danwo, I will come back to address your question because I am beginning to see we are dragging this topic "out of context"

Second, @ danwo and other gap/pre-adamic teachers, On what basis of scripture is the Gap/pre-adamic world taught? If it is on the basis of Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 (which I believe it is), then let us stay within the context AND other bible verse being used to support Genesis 1:1-2. This will help us clearer on this subject rather than going in circle.....let's have bible-to-bible proving of what we are teaching.

I have seen the where the confusion lies and God is not the author of confusion. If we can focus on the text that generates the confusion and arguments, then we can solve the problem of weather is gap/pre-adamic world or not, as we can prove all things. The problem is, some of the controversy concerning the subject of Creation centers on the translation and grammatical import of Genesis 1:1. Scholars argue, “Is Genesis 1:1 in the absolute state (i.e., an independent clause) or in the construct state (i.e., a dependent clause)?” Even Hebrew scholars are unable to agree BUT we can prove this truth, using scriptures to explain scripture.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by MrAnony1(m): 6:24pm On Sep 03, 2012
debosky: @ alethia

Without being told when this fall occurred, I don't see how you can make such a categorical statement. Furthermore, the bible doesn't even state when the angels were created, so again I fail to see how you can reach this categorical conclusion.

You may say that there is no evidence supporting the fall before the creation of Adam, but that is all that can be said on the matter - others may say it had to have happened before the creation of Adam because the bible doesn't record the creation of angels, the elders, etc. within the 6 day creation account, which is focused on the 'physical' creation as it were, not principalities, dominions, etc.

If the bible is not categorical this subject, I don't see how you can be.

PS - this isn't support for the gap theory in the least, it's simply a recognition that the bible is silent on certain things.
@debosky, I think we can rightfully make the connection. If it was indeed the devil that deceived Eve in the garden, then we can be sure that the devil fell before Eve or at least before the temptation.

Second thing we can be sure of is that the devil had not fallen at the point of the creation of man, else God would not have seen the creation as good since the fall of lucifer would have sullied it.

Therefore, we know that lucifer must have fallen sometime between the end of creation and the temptation in the garden of Eden.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by aletheia(m): 7:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:
@debosky, I think we can rightfully make the connection. If it was indeed the devil that deceived Eve in the garden, then we can be sure that the devil fell before Eve or at least before the temptation.

Second thing we can be sure of is that the devil had not fallen at the point of the creation of man, else God would not have seen the creation as good since the fall of lucifer would have sullied it.

Therefore, we know that lucifer must have fallen sometime between the end of creation and the temptation in the garden of Eden.

Exactly.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 7:36pm On Sep 03, 2012
Goshen360:

@ danwo and other gap/pre-adamic teachers,

First @ danwo, I will come back to address your question because I am beginning to see we are dragging this topic "out of context"

Second, @ danwo and other gap/pre-adamic teachers,

On what basis of scripture is the Gap/pre-adamic world taught?

If it is on the basis of Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2
(which I believe it is),

then let us stay within the context AND other bible verse being used to support Genesis 1:1-2.

This will help us clearer on this subject rather than going in circle.....

let's have bible-to-bible proving of what we are teaching.

I have seen the where the confusion lies and God is not the author of confusion.
If we can focus on the text that generates the confusion and arguments,

then we can solve the problem of weather is gap/pre-adamic world or not, as we can prove all things.

The problem is, some of the controversy concerning the subject of Creation centers on the translation and grammatical import of Genesis 1:1.

Scholars argue, “Is Genesis 1:1 in the absolute state (i.e., an independent clause) or in the construct state (i.e., a dependent clause)?”

Even Hebrew scholars are unable to agree BUT we can prove this truth, using scriptures to explain scripture.

@Goshen360

When the difference between earth and world is recognised

the coffee would have been smelt

Think outside the box, man!

God created an Adam world; a world for human beings on Earth.

My mouth laughs when anti-Gap theorists claim that God created things that are seen and physical only

God in that six days of creation created both seen and unseen things, both physical and unphysical things

This is where the world comes in. God created an Adam world with no sin

The earth is just a formal name of the world which we live on

That world is everything on earth, seen and unseen and created by God.

"Welcome to my world" - that is a familiar phrase isnt it?

With a helping hand from the serpent, Man has since perverted that world

The earth is the Lord's and its fullnes thereof though the devil currently is the prince of this world

The world is now plagued with a degrading way of life, abuse of money, power show, unethical human beings etc

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world,
but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
"
- Romans 12:2 NLT

The Gap Theory poses no danger, once you know how far from the edge of the cliff to go

It does not threaten or question the six days of creation narrated from Genesis 1:3 onwards

The gap theory is not only on the basis of Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 alone.

There are other scriptures hinting the Gap theory

The player saves the trump card until end, saves the best, for last. wink wink

Bottom line once the Greek to English translations, Hebrew to English translations are properly researched

Once the etymology of the certain Hebrew and Greek words used around this subject and related subjects are studied

then it will be relaised that there is no cause for panic

The gap theory complements the six days creation without any detraction

"Bring the whole tithe in to the storehouse . . ."
- Malachi 3:10

from the above verse, what actually was a storehouse was startling or shocking revelation for some die-hard tithe fanatics.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 9:23pm On Sep 03, 2012
^^^
danwo:

@Goshen360

When the difference between earth and world is recognised

the coffee would have been smelt

Think outside the box, man!

God created an Adam world; a world for human beings on Earth.

My mouth laughs when anti-Gap theorists claim that God created things that are seen and physical only

God in that six days of creation created both seen and unseen things, both physical and unphysical things

This is where the world comes in. God created an Adam world with no sin

The earth is just a formal name of the world which we live on

That world is everything on earth, seen and unseen and created by God.

"Welcome to my world" - that is a familiar phrase isnt it?

With a helping hand from the serpent, Man has since perverted that world

The earth is the Lord's and its fullnes thereof though the devil currently is the prince of this world

The world is now plagued with a degrading way of life, abuse of money, power show, unethical human beings etc

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world,
but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
"
- Romans 12:2 NLT

The Gap Theory poses no danger, once you know how far from the edge of the cliff to go

It does not threaten or question the six days of creation narrated from Genesis 1:3 onwards

The gap theory is not only on the basis of Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 alone.

There are other scriptures hinting the Gap theory

The player saves the trump card until end, saves the best, for last. wink wink

Bottom line once the Greek to English translations, Hebrew to English translations are properly researched

Once the etymology of the certain Hebrew and Greek words used around this subject and related subjects are studied

then it will be relaised that there is no cause for panic

The gap theory complements the six days creation without any detraction

"Bring the whole tithe in to the storehouse . . ."
- Malachi 3:10

from the above verse, what actually was a storehouse was startling or shocking revelation for some die-hard tithe fanatics.

Okay my brother,

The first thing first, I know and see where the issue is coming from. We will soon get there......permit me some little more time.

1. What do you understand of the scripture for Genesis 1:1?

2. What "heaven(s)" is Genesis 1:1 referring to?

3. What "earth" is Genesis 1:1 also referring to?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 9:41pm On Sep 03, 2012
Goshen360:

^^^

Okay my brother,

The first thing first, I know and see where the issue is coming from. We will soon get there......permit me some little more time.

@Goshen360

Dont forget to give answers to all my questions earlier asked too.

Mind you this your practical and intellectual approach arouses a more deserving respect of you from me. I like.

>>
Exactly what is states that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth

>>
The first generation Heaven; Heaven 1.0

>>
There is only one earth and the earth referred to in Genesis 1.1, is the same earth in Genesis 1:3 onwards
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 9:50pm On Sep 03, 2012
^^^

lolz......I will answer ALL your questions fully in DUE time. cool down bros,lolz

danwo:

>>[/b] Exactly what is states that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth

>>
The first generation Heaven; Heaven 1.0

>>
There is only one earth and the earth referred to in Genesis 1.1, is the same earth in Genesis 1:3 onwards

Thank for the answer. I have told you MOST arguments and confusion comes from "some" translations, of which our diligence to study should tell us the right and consistent translative words. Now, some translates the "HEAVEN" in Genesis 1:1 as PLURAL with -s, while some translates it without -s. Which do you think it's right?

Two, Which one is Heaven 1.0? grin I no understand that kind terminology o abeg. Please be more specific. Which heaven is Genesis 1:1 referring to? Am good with one "earth" answer.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 10:03pm On Sep 03, 2012
Mr_Anony:

This is in the realm of conjecture and I want to desist from putting forward what I think here as it would be no different from what I am asking others to refrain from.

As I said to alethia - the creation described in Genesis (apart from God breathing into man) is purely physical, hence there is no reason why lucifer's fall pre or post Adam's creation would've affected God's physical creation. The only way physical creation was affected by sin was man's fall. Not until Adam's fall did sin affect the creation.

I disagree - what creation was God referring to when he said it was good? If it is the creation He described in Genesis (the physical world) then it was good, regardless of when Lucifer fell, as sin only sullied creation because of Adam's fall, not lucifer's.

As the bible says, sin came into the world by one man - it didn't say it came into the world by Lucifer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Church: How The Church Can Make The World A Better Place / THE RED SEA CROSSING. Did It Really Happen? [See pictures] / 4 Reasons Christians Die In Sickness

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 198
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.